|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a market for securities (debt or equity), where business enterprises and governments can raise long-term funds?
2. When did Alan Greenspan earn his doctorate in economics?
3. The protagonist of The Fountainhead is in what profession?
4. What refers to a numerical expression based on a statistical analysis of a person's credit files that represents the creditworthiness of that person?
5. When was Griftopia: A Story of Bankers, Politicians, and the Most Audacious Power Grab in American History published?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the fundamental belief of objectivism, as described in Chapter 2?
2. How does the author relate Alan Greenspan's methods with those of a casino?
3. What did Eljon Williams learn about the commission involved in his mortgage?
4. Who was Eljon Williams and how did he become involved in a mortgage scam as described in Chapter 3?
5. What process did banks undertake in order to sells risky loans, as described in Chapter 3?
6. Who was Joe Cassano? What authority did he achieve?
7. What does Taibbi write of his thoughts on Sarah Palin in Chapter 1?
8. How did the public and private sectors evolve and change during Alan Greenspan's reign of the Federal Reserve, as described in Chapter 2?
9. Where was Ayn Rand from? How is she described in Chapter 2?
10. As described in Chapter 2, what was Alan Greenspan's focus in controlling the United States economy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Ayn Rand, the "Collective," and Atlas Shrugged. When was Atlas Shrugged published and what impact did it have on society and the intellectual elite?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the changes in speculative trading during the George W. Bush administration. What did these changes mean for Goldman-Sachs?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of the news media in politics today. How has the media changed in the past 50 years and what have been the impacts of those changes?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)