|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Grendel thinks that the Stranger is what in Chapter 11?
2. In Chapter 7, who sings at the feast when Wealtheow is given to Hrothgar?
3. What does the old woman tell the children about in Chapter 10?
(a) A monster in the woods.
(b) A hidden underwater cave.
(c) A giant from across the sea.
(d) A dragon in the mountains.
4. What is the name of the priest who comes and speaks to Grendel after the ceremony in Chapter 9?
5. At what time of day do the Strangers arrive in Chapter 11?
(c) An hour before dawn.
6. What instrument does the assistant play at the Shaper’s funeral?
(a) His sister's violin.
(b) A drum.
(c) The old Shaper's harp.
(d) His uncle's guitar.
7. When Grendel begins to fight the Stranger he considers him what?
(a) An equal match in strength.
(b) An easy match.
(c) Too strong for Grendel.
(d) A coward.
8. What threat, besides Grendel, does Hrothgar face?
(b) A younger king.
9. What is the name of Hrothulf's old companion?
(a) The Shaper.
(b) Red Horse.
10. What does Grendel observe an archer killing in Chapter 9?
(a) A bull.
(b) A bear.
(c) A hart.
11. In Chapter 10, what do Finn and Hengest pledge to each other?
(c) A truce.
(d) To war in the spring.
12. What does the coast guard wish to know of the Strangers in Chapter 11?
(a) How long they are staying.
(b) Their lineage.
(c) How they made their boat.
(d) Where they stored their horses.
13. Who does the Shaper's assistant sing of at the funeral?
(c) Finn and Hnaef.
(d) The Shaper.
14. In Chapter 10, why does Hengest kill Finn?
(b) Power and revenge.
(c) Finn killed Henest's father.
15. In Chapter 10, What does Hengest take from Finn?
(a) His weapons.
(b) His queen and treasure.
(c) His bear.
(d) His boats.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grendel imagine the Stranger who fights him to be for a split second in Chapter 12?
2. Hygmod proposes a truce by what gesture in Chapter 10?
3. What do the three priests think Ork is, based on his story in Chapter 9?
4. What ominous feeling does Grendel have?
5. What is the name of Hrothgar's third child?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)