|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hrothulf meet in the woods at times?
(b) The dragon.
(d) An old peasant.
2. What does the old woman tell the children about in Chapter 10?
(a) A giant from across the sea.
(b) A hidden underwater cave.
(c) A dragon in the mountains.
(d) A monster in the woods.
3. What instrument does the assistant play at the Shaper’s funeral?
(a) His uncle's guitar.
(b) A drum.
(c) The old Shaper's harp.
(d) His sister's violin.
4. Who does the Shaper look for but who never visits in Chapter 10?
(a) A child.
(b) A certain woman.
5. What does Grendel's mother do each time he returns home?
(a) Runs away.
(b) Scratches him.
(c) Yells at him.
(d) Tries to block the door so he can't leave again.
6. Who does Grendel ask the blind priest to tell him about in Chapter 9?
(b) The King of Gods.
(c) The Dragon.
7. Who do the priests ask the gods to deliver them from in Chapter 9?
8. What is the name of the priest who comes and speaks to Grendel after the ceremony in Chapter 9?
9. In Chapter 8, what does Hrothgar dream of?
(a) His own death.
(b) A black tree with a double trunk.
10. What does Grendel do with the table cloth in Chapter 12?
(a) Uses it as a cape.
(b) Ties it around his neck for a napkin.
(c) Throws it over Beowulf.
(d) Wraps Wealtheow in it.
11. Red Horse says all what are monstrously evil?
12. Grendel refers to what between Wealtheow and Hrothgar in Chapter 8?
(a) A fire.
(b) A chasm.
(c) A scorpion.
(d) A spider.
13. The Stranger tells Grendel to do what in Chapter 12?
(c) Lie down.
(d) Sing of walls.
14. What is Hygmod leading when he meets Hrothgar?
(a) A bull.
(b) An ox.
(c) A bear.
(d) A wolf.
15. What does Grendel consider the ultimate act of nihilism?
(a) Killing the Shaper.
(b) Killing the queen.
(c) Killing the princes.
(d) Killing the king.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, who does Grendel call out for in the middle of battle?
2. Who is the young king?
3. The young priest tells the people that the gods made what for their joy?
4. In Chapter 10, what do Finn and Hengest pledge to each other?
5. What do the people sacrifice to the god statues?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)