|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the young king?
2. What happens to the Shaper in Chapter 10?
(a) He retires.
(b) He leaves.
(c) He is promoted.
(d) He dies.
3. What event excites Grendel in the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) The Shaper's funeral.
(b) Unferth dies.
(c) The arrival of Strangers..
4. What is Grendel's law?
(a) Blood equals power.
(b) There is no limit to desire but desire's needs.
(c) Leave only the queen.
(d) Kill them all.
5. What is unique about Ork?
(a) He is unable to walk.
(b) He cannot talk.
(c) He cannot hear.
(d) He is blind.
6. Why have the Strangers come in Chapter 11?
(a) To help Hrothgar with Grendel.
(b) To foster Hrothulf.
(c) To kill Hrothgar.
(d) To capture Wealtheow.
7. In Chapter 7, Unferth is accused of killing whom?
(a) His father.
(b) His brother.
(c) His wife.
(d) His sons.
8. In Chapter 7, How does Grendel resolve to kill Wealtheow?
(a) Bite off her head.
(b) Roast her over the fire.
(c) Throw her to the firesnakes.
(d) Tear her limbs off.
9. Who does the Shaper look for but who never visits in Chapter 10?
(b) A certain woman.
(d) A child.
10. Who does Ork tell the other priests he has been speaking to in Chapter 9?
(a) The Great Destroyer.
11. In Chapter 7, what happens to the bear?
(a) Hymgod looses it.
(b) It runs away.
(c) Hrothgar has it killed for food.
(d) Grendel kills it.
12. The young priest tells the people that the gods made what for their joy?
(b) The world.
13. What does Grendel do with the table cloth in Chapter 12?
(a) Throws it over Beowulf.
(b) Ties it around his neck for a napkin.
(c) Wraps Wealtheow in it.
(d) Uses it as a cape.
14. What does Grendel imagine the Stranger who fights him to be for a split second in Chapter 12?
(a) A monster.
(b) His mother.
(c) A dragon.
(d) A bear.
15. What happened to Freawaru's mother?
(a) She is Wealtheow.
(b) She ran away.
(c) She is a servant.
(d) She died.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hrothgar's younger brother?
2. What does the coast guard wish to know of the Strangers in Chapter 11?
3. What does the Stranger tell Grendel to write his poetry in, in Chapter 12
4. Hrothgar refuses treasure so Hygmod offers what as a sign of the truce?
5. In Chapter 7, what is Wealtheow's hair color described as?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)