|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the young king?
2. Hygmod proposes a truce by what gesture?
(a) Drawing his sword with his left hand
(b) A white flag
(c) A chest of treasure
(d) A feast
3. Why have the strangers come?
(a) To foster Hrothulf
(b) To help Hrothgar with Grendel
(c) To kill Hrothgar
(d) To capture Wealtheow
4. Where are the strangers from?
5. Hrothgar refuses treasure so Hygmod offers what as a sign of the truce?
(a) His castle
(b) The bear
(c) His son
(d) His sister
6. Why is Wealtheow not immediately allowed in the hall with the strangers?
(a) Women eat later
(b) She is not welcome
(c) The situation is too tense
(d) She is sick
7. Grendel hopes twelve is what?
(a) The number of men he can carry
(b) A holy number
(c) The days of the month
(d) The number of men he can eat at once
8. What does the old woman tell the children about?
(a) A hidden underwater cave
(b) A giant from across the sea
(c) A dragon in the mountains
(d) A monster in the woods
9. What does Hrothgar's bowman kill?
(a) A bear
(b) A bull
(d) A Hart
10. What is Hygmod leading when he meets Hrothgar?
(a) A wolf
(b) An ox
(c) A bear
(d) A bull
11. Halga's orphaned son is who?
12. What does Grendel slip on that gives the stranger the upper hand?
(c) A bench
(d) Sleeping men
13. What does the stranger tell Grendel to write his poetry in?
14. The giant has the strength of how many men?
15. The stranger tells Grendel to do what?
(a) Sing of walls
(c) Lie down
Short Answer Questions
1. What would happen if Grendel killed the last Scylding?
2. The three priests think Ork is?
3. Who are the two speakers of poetry in Chapter 8?
4. What does Grendel imagine the stranger to be for a split second?
5. Who does the Shaper's assistant sing of at the funeral?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)