|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What statues stand near Hrothgar's hall?
(a) The Scylding gods
(b) Of Hrothgar
(c) Of Wealtheow
(d) Of Grendel
2. Grendel says that what is the worst pain?
3. What event excites Grendel?
(b) Unferth dies
(c) The Shaper's funeral
(d) Strangers arrive
4. In what year of Grendel's wars does Hrothgar's power begin to fail?
(a) The second
(b) The third
(c) The tenth
(d) The fifth
5. Who is Hygmod's sister?
6. What happens when Grendel touches the door?
(a) Beowulf attacks him
(b) It bursts
(c) The whole hall shudders
(d) It does not budge
7. Who is the lead stranger said to have challenged to a swimming match?
8. What do the people sacrifice to the god statues?
(a) A calf
(b) A virgin
(c) A child
(d) An ox
9. Hrothgar refuses treasure so Hygmod offers what as a sign of the truce?
(a) His son
(b) His sister
(c) The bear
(d) His castle
10. Who are the two speakers of poetry in Chapter 8?
(a) Hrothulf and Wealtheow
(b) Hrothgar and Grendel
(c) Hrothgar and Wealtheow
(d) Hrothulf and Hrothgar
11. Wha does Grendel discover about the second man he snatches?
(a) He is awake
(b) It is Hrothgar
(c) It is Unferth
(d) He is dead
12. Grendel hopes twelve is what?
(a) The number of men he can carry
(b) The days of the month
(c) The number of men he can eat at once
(d) A holy number
13. What instrument does the assistant play?
(a) A violin
(b) A guitar
(c) A drum
(d) The old Shaper's harp
14. The young priest tells the people that the gods made what for their joy?
(c) The world
15. What does Grendel imagine the stranger to be for a split second?
(a) A dragon
(b) A bear
(c) His mother
(d) A monster
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the strangers from?
2. What does Grendel slip on that gives the stranger the upper hand?
3. What invades Grendel's mere?
4. What does Grendel's mother do each time he returns home?
5. How many sons does Hrothgar have by Wealtheow?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)