|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What threat, besides Grendel, does Hrothgar face?
(a) A younger king
2. What would happen if Grendel killed the last Scylding?
(a) The dragon would be right
(b) He would have to move
(c) He would be bored
(d) He would be hunted
3. What statues stand near Hrothgar's hall?
(a) The Scylding gods
(b) Of Grendel
(c) Of Wealtheow
(d) Of Hrothgar
4. Who challenges the strength and purpose of the Geatish stranger?
5. Who does the Shaper look for but who never visits?
(b) A certain woman
6. Red Horse says all what are monstrously evil?
7. What is Hygmod leading when he meets Hrothgar?
(a) A bull
(b) A wolf
(c) A bear
(d) An ox
8. What happened to Freawaru's mother?
(a) She is Wealtheow
(b) She died
(c) She ran away
(d) She is a servant
9. Grendel refers to a what between Wealtheow and Hrothgar?
(a) A spider
(b) A fire
(c) A chasm
(d) A scorpion
10. What do the women place on the Shaper's eyes?
(b) Gold coins
(d) Harp picks
11. The giant has the strength of how many men?
12. Who does the Shaper's assistant sing of at the funeral?
(a) Finn and Hnaef
(b) The Shaper
13. Who is the young king?
14. What does Grendel imagine the stranger to be for a split second?
(a) A monster
(b) A dragon
(c) A bear
(d) His mother
15. What event excites Grendel?
(a) Unferth dies
(c) The Shaper's funeral
(d) Strangers arrive
Short Answer Questions
1. Why have the strangers come?
2. What is unique about Ork?
3. What invades Grendel's mere?
4. What is the name of the priest who comes to Grendel in the middle of the night?
5. What is the queen's name?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)