|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Grendel says that what is the worst pain?
2. Why is Wealtheow not immediately allowed in the hall with the strangers?
(a) The situation is too tense
(b) She is not welcome
(c) Women eat later
(d) She is sick
3. How many sons does Hrothgar have by Wealtheow?
4. Grendel hopes twelve is what?
(a) The number of men he can eat at once
(b) A holy number
(c) The number of men he can carry
(d) The days of the month
5. What threat, besides Grendel, does Hrothgar face?
(c) A younger king
6. What does the old woman tell the children about?
(a) A giant from across the sea
(b) A monster in the woods
(c) A dragon in the mountains
(d) A hidden underwater cave
7. Hrothgar refuses treasure so Hygmod offers what as a sign of the truce?
(a) The bear
(b) His castle
(c) His sister
(d) His son
8. Who is the young king?
9. How do the strangers arrive?
(a) By boat
(b) By horse
(c) They walk
(d) They swim
10. Where are the strangers from?
11. What does Hrothgar's bowman kill?
(b) A bull
(c) A bear
(d) A Hart
12. Who are the two speakers of poetry in Chapter 8?
(a) Hrothulf and Wealtheow
(b) Hrothgar and Wealtheow
(c) Hrothulf and Hrothgar
(d) Hrothgar and Grendel
13. What is the queen's name?
14. Who does the Shaper look for but who never visits?
(a) A certain woman
15. What do the village children make in the snow?
(d) Snow angels
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the king and queen wait patiently to happen?
2. What is Grendel's law?
3. What invades Grendel's mere?
4. The giant has the strength of how many men?
5. What would happen if Grendel killed the last Scylding?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)