|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who enters and tells everyone to stop the music and dancing?
2. What does God hear every time Hosea passes by his office?
3. What does the dove return with?
4. What is Noah's next job?
5. When God appears to Noah on the deck, what does he say?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Noah tells Shem to let a dove loose, what does he say about his condition?
2. What does Zipporah believe when Moses says that something is keeping him where he is?
3. What is Moses doing when Abraham suggest he is the right one to lead the Hebrews out of Egypt?
4. Discuss the made up character God finally goes to the window to see.
5. What does Ham discover when he throws the sounding line over the side of the ark?
6. How does God introduce himself to Hezdrel when he goes back to Earth?
7. What does Moses say to Pharaoh just before the last trick is performed?
8. How does the playwright suggest the Head Magician of Pharaoh's court appear?
9. Why does God say he does not like Hosea?
10. When God appears in the Babylonian court, what does he say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Ark as a Steamboat in THE GREEN PASTURES. The essay should include the experience black people in Louisiana had with water transportation in the 1920s. Discuss the steamboat ark as such a concept rather than a kind of stereotypical comedy. Conclude with ways different ethnic groups might view religious artifacts.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Children in THE GREEN PASTURES. Discuss the use of children as a dramatic device to set up the plot of THE GREEN PASTURES. Note that the children are stereotypical of children in general rather than as racial caricatures. Include examples of incessant questions, fidgeting in Sunday School, and angelic children misbehaving in the heavenly fish fry.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Position of Women in THE GREEN PASTURES. In your essay give examples [e.g., the cleaning women in God's office] to illustrate two points: (1) black women as inferior because of their ethnicity, and (2) black women subservient to black men [e.g., Mrs. Noah].
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)