|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which tracker would Hemingway like to shoot in the behind?
2. Why does Hemingway initially not watch M'cola skin the larger bull?
3. Who is becoming increasingly obsessed with finding kudu?
4. What poisons Hemingway's hunting plans?
5. Why was Karl becoming so unhappy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author initially react to this new country?
2. How does the presence of Garrick affect the hunt?
3. How does Karl end up with the right to hunt the salt lick?
4. Why does The Roman's brother join the author's hunting party?
5. What time period does the narrative return to?
6. How does the return of Karl with his first kudu affect the camp?
7. What is the significance of the arrival of the elderly native hunter?
8. What causes the author to return to camp angry?
9. What is the significance of the overnight rain?
10. What breaks the author's resolve to pursue the second sable bull?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the narrative's chronological setting. What were the main concerns during this period? How does the author express these concerns? What would change if the narrative were set today?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Hemingway is competitive? How does this impact on his relationship with Karl?
Essay Topic 3
Hemingway has differing rapport with each of the natives he encounters. Who does he like and why? Who does he not like and why?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)