|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mama not know about Pop?
2. Where on the first kudu is there a white chevron?
3. What does a principal Somali cattle buyer carry?
4. What does Hemingway solemnly look at each morning?
5. When does Hemingway's tribe always shoot twice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does The Roman's brother join the author's hunting party?
2. What time period does the narrative return to?
3. What is the significance of the arrow found at the salt lick?
4. What does this new country reveal to the author?
5. How does the return of Karl with his first kudu affect the camp?
6. Does Pop's earlier advice have any effect on the hunt?
7. What breaks the author's resolve to pursue the second sable bull?
8. What causes the tense confrontation between Karl and the author?
9. How does the author come to meet The Roman?
10. How is the author affected by his confrontation with Karl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two characters and examine Hemingway's opinions of them at the start of the book. Compare how his feelings towards them have changed by the end of the narrative. What motivates these changes?
Essay Topic 2
If the book were being made into a film, how could Hemingway's literary style be reflected in film? Would the book make a good film?
Essay Topic 3
The book is written in first person narrative. Why do you think Hemingway chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the third person?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)