|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do they believe the lousy old man has sighted kudu?
2. The oryx are similar to what other animal?
3. Why is Hemingway so against making camp where The Roman suggests?
4. What does a principal Somali cattle buyer carry?
5. What is a panga?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author initially react to this new country?
2. How does the author come to meet The Roman?
3. What are the consequences of the stampede?
4. How does the second sable bull elude the hunting party?
5. What time period does the narrative return to?
6. How does the return of Karl with his first kudu affect the camp?
7. How does the presence of Garrick affect the hunt?
8. What effect does this realization have upon the author?
9. What does this new country reveal to the author?
10. What is the significance of the arrow found at the salt lick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the narrative's chronological setting. What were the main concerns during this period? How does the author express these concerns? What would change if the narrative were set today?
Essay Topic 2
What do the opening chapters say about Hemingway's character? What goals does Hemingway have to achieve? How close does Hemingway's character get to achieving those goals?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two characters and examine Hemingway's opinions of them at the start of the book. Compare how his feelings towards them have changed by the end of the narrative. What motivates these changes?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)