|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hemingway compare this new country to?
2. Why might the animals be aware of the hunting party?
3. Why does Hemingway initially not watch M'cola skin the larger bull?
4. When does Hemingway's tribe always shoot twice?
5. Why does Garrick stay behind for the late afternoon hunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the author affected by his confrontation with Karl?
2. Does Pop's earlier advice have any effect on the hunt?
3. How does the party react upon discovery of the first sable bull?
4. What does this new country reveal to the author?
5. How does discovery of the slain kudu surprise the author?
6. What time period does the narrative return to?
7. How does the author come to meet The Roman?
8. What is said between he author and Pop in their alcohol fueled conversation?
9. How does the author initially react to this new country?
10. How is The Roman able to assist the hunt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway has differing rapport with each of the natives he encounters. Who does he like and why? Who does he not like and why?
Essay Topic 2
How reliable is Hemingway's narration? Choose another character and discuss how the story would change if seen through that character's eyes?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two characters and examine Hemingway's opinions of them at the start of the book. Compare how his feelings towards them have changed by the end of the narrative. What motivates these changes?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)