|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hemingway believe has scared away the kudu?
2. Which item of Hemingway's clothing does M'cola take?
3. Why do M'Cola and Hemingway decide to turn back?
4. What does P.O.M. get the men to talk about?
5. What has gotten M'Cola worried?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does this realization have upon the author?
2. What is the significance of the overnight rain?
3. What are the consequences of the stampede?
4. How does the return of Karl with his first kudu affect the camp?
5. How does the party react upon discovery of the first sable bull?
6. How does the author initially react to this new country?
7. What breaks the author's resolve to pursue the second sable bull?
8. Why does The Roman's brother join the author's hunting party?
9. How does the second sable bull elude the hunting party?
10. How does Karl end up with the right to hunt the salt lick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Pop and P.O.M.. Examine how this relationship affects Hemingway. How does this compare to Hemingway's interaction with his wife?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters and examine Hemingway's opinions of them at the start of the book. Compare how his feelings towards them have changed by the end of the narrative. What motivates these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the literary style and techniques Hemingway uses in the book. Why does Hemingway adopt this style? What significance does this impart to the narrative?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)