|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an askari?
2. What have you got to be careful of when hunting sable bull?
3. What did Karl find on his rhino carcass the next morning?
4. Which town is like a German garrison?
5. Which name does the hunting party find irritating?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author come to meet The Roman?
2. What causes the author to return to camp angry?
3. What causes the tense confrontation between Karl and the author?
4. What effect does this realization have upon the author?
5. What breaks the author's resolve to pursue the second sable bull?
6. What time period does the narrative return to?
7. How does the presence of Garrick affect the hunt?
8. How does discovery of the slain kudu surprise the author?
9. What is said between he author and Pop in their alcohol fueled conversation?
10. What is the significance of the arrow found at the salt lick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The landscape is often described by Hemingway in his narrative. How does the landscape affect his experiences? What is the significance of the land to the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the literary style and techniques Hemingway uses in the book. Why does Hemingway adopt this style? What significance does this impart to the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
If the book were being made into a film, how could Hemingway's literary style be reflected in film? Would the book make a good film?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)