|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most obvious difference between male and female sable?
2. The oryx are similar to what other animal?
3. Why do M'Cola and Hemingway decide to turn back?
4. What did Karl find on his rhino carcass the next morning?
5. How does the larger kudu bull killed by Hemingway compare to Karl's?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the second sable bull elude the hunting party?
2. What is the significance of the arrow found at the salt lick?
3. How does the author come to meet The Roman?
4. How does the return of Karl with his first kudu affect the camp?
5. What breaks the author's resolve to pursue the second sable bull?
6. Does Pop's earlier advice have any effect on the hunt?
7. What effect does this realization have upon the author?
8. What is the significance of the overnight rain?
9. What are the consequences of the stampede?
10. How is the author affected by his confrontation with Karl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the literary style and techniques Hemingway uses in the book. Why does Hemingway adopt this style? What significance does this impart to the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
What does Hemingway's failure to get a sable bull symbolize? What does it say about Hemingway's character that he vows to return?
Essay Topic 3
What do the opening chapters say about Hemingway's character? What goals does Hemingway have to achieve? How close does Hemingway's character get to achieving those goals?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)