|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Hemingway's tribe always shoot twice?
2. Why are the elephant down south so big?
3. Why do they not shoot the enormous manamouki kudu they find?
4. What is Hemingway's Valhalla?
5. What is a Kidogo?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the return of Karl with his first kudu affect the camp?
2. What is the significance of the overnight rain?
3. What causes the tense confrontation between Karl and the author?
4. How does the party react upon discovery of the first sable bull?
5. What causes the author to return to camp angry?
6. What does this new country reveal to the author?
7. What effect does this realization have upon the author?
8. What are the consequences of the stampede?
9. How does the author initially react to this new country?
10. How does discovery of the slain kudu surprise the author?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who does Hemingway suggest has influenced his life? What writers does he mention and why? What standing did Hemingway have in the Thirties as a writer?
Essay Topic 2
What does Hemingway's failure to get a sable bull symbolize? What does it say about Hemingway's character that he vows to return?
Essay Topic 3
Hemingway has differing rapport with each of the natives he encounters. Who does he like and why? Who does he not like and why?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)