|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hemingway hand the Springfield to M'cola?
2. Which animal moves like a rocking-horse?
3. What is a Kidogo?
4. Why do they not shoot the flock of fine guineas?
5. Who is the tragedian of the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What time period does the narrative return to?
2. What is the significance of the arrival of the elderly native hunter?
3. What is said between he author and Pop in their alcohol fueled conversation?
4. How does the presence of Garrick affect the hunt?
5. What causes the author to return to camp angry?
6. What is the significance of the overnight rain?
7. Does Pop's earlier advice have any effect on the hunt?
8. What is the significance of the arrow found at the salt lick?
9. What effect does this realization have upon the author?
10. What does this new country reveal to the author?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Hemingway depict the natives in the book? How does today's society view Hemingway's depiction of the natives? Do you think his portrayal is accurate?
Essay Topic 2
What do the opening chapters say about Hemingway's character? What goals does Hemingway have to achieve? How close does Hemingway's character get to achieving those goals?
Essay Topic 3
The book is written in first person narrative. Why do you think Hemingway chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the third person?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)