|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hemingway begin shooting the snipe?
2. What does Hemingway believe has scared away the kudu?
3. Why was Karl becoming so unhappy?
4. What has gotten M'Cola worried?
5. Why does Garrick stay behind for the late afternoon hunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does discovery of the slain kudu surprise the author?
2. Why does The Roman's brother join the author's hunting party?
3. What causes the tense confrontation between Karl and the author?
4. How does the author come to meet The Roman?
5. What are the consequences of the stampede?
6. Does Pop's earlier advice have any effect on the hunt?
7. What time period does the narrative return to?
8. What effect does this realization have upon the author?
9. What does this new country reveal to the author?
10. How does Karl end up with the right to hunt the salt lick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the differences between Hemingway and Karl. How are their approaches different? What are their strengths and weaknesses as hunters?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the literary style and techniques Hemingway uses in the book. Why does Hemingway adopt this style? What significance does this impart to the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
How reliable is Hemingway's narration? Choose another character and discuss how the story would change if seen through that character's eyes?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)