|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What impresses the Roman most about Hemingway's drinking?
2. Why does Hemingway instruct Kamau to drive faster?
3. Why are the elephant down south so big?
4. Which name does the hunting party find irritating?
5. What do you have to take your shirt off to kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does this new country reveal to the author?
2. What is the significance of the overnight rain?
3. How is the author affected by his confrontation with Karl?
4. How does Karl end up with the right to hunt the salt lick?
5. What is the significance of the arrow found at the salt lick?
6. How does the second sable bull elude the hunting party?
7. What causes the tense confrontation between Karl and the author?
8. How is The Roman able to assist the hunt?
9. How does the presence of Garrick affect the hunt?
10. What time period does the narrative return to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book is written in first person narrative. Why do you think Hemingway chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the differences between Hemingway and Karl. How are their approaches different? What are their strengths and weaknesses as hunters?
Essay Topic 3
What was East Africa like in the Thirties for foreigners? How did this environment affect Hemingway? How does it affect the other characters? What impact does the climate have upon the narrative?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)