|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do they believe the lousy old man has sighted kudu?
2. Why does Garrick stay behind for the late afternoon hunt?
3. Which town is like a German garrison?
4. Who can tell the longest story?
5. What is the only difference between Galicia and Handeni?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does this realization have upon the author?
2. How does Karl end up with the right to hunt the salt lick?
3. How does the author come to meet The Roman?
4. How does the presence of Garrick affect the hunt?
5. What time period does the narrative return to?
6. How is The Roman able to assist the hunt?
7. What causes the author to return to camp angry?
8. How does the second sable bull elude the hunting party?
9. What is the significance of the overnight rain?
10. How does discovery of the slain kudu surprise the author?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If the book were being made into a film, how could Hemingway's literary style be reflected in film? Would the book make a good film?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative? Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the narrative's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
How reliable is Hemingway's narration? Choose another character and discuss how the story would change if seen through that character's eyes?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)