|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is as accurate as an historian?
2. Which animal moves like a rocking-horse?
3. What has gotten M'Cola worried?
4. How does the larger kudu bull killed by Hemingway compare to Karl's?
5. Why do they send Karl down to sable country?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the party react upon discovery of the first sable bull?
2. How is The Roman able to assist the hunt?
3. How does the author come to meet The Roman?
4. What is the significance of the arrival of the elderly native hunter?
5. What does this new country reveal to the author?
6. What causes the tense confrontation between Karl and the author?
7. Does Pop's earlier advice have any effect on the hunt?
8. How does discovery of the slain kudu surprise the author?
9. What effect does this realization have upon the author?
10. What are the consequences of the stampede?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway talks about living in Africa. Discuss his motivations. Why would he want to live there? What could stop him from living there successfully?
Essay Topic 2
How does Hemingway depict the natives in the book? How does today's society view Hemingway's depiction of the natives? Do you think his portrayal is accurate?
Essay Topic 3
If the book were being made into a film, how could Hemingway's literary style be reflected in film? Would the book make a good film?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)