|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an askari?
2. What is a Kidogo?
3. What makes Hemingway anxious to hunt with only one hour of light left?
4. Where is the first camp they had in Africa located?
5. Why is Hemingway so against making camp where The Roman suggests?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Karl end up with the right to hunt the salt lick?
2. How does the party react upon discovery of the first sable bull?
3. How does the author come to meet The Roman?
4. What is said between he author and Pop in their alcohol fueled conversation?
5. How does the second sable bull elude the hunting party?
6. What is the significance of the arrival of the elderly native hunter?
7. What causes the tense confrontation between Karl and the author?
8. How does the presence of Garrick affect the hunt?
9. How does the author initially react to this new country?
10. How does the return of Karl with his first kudu affect the camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two characters and examine Hemingway's opinions of them at the start of the book. Compare how his feelings towards them have changed by the end of the narrative. What motivates these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Who does Hemingway suggest has influenced his life? What writers does he mention and why? What standing did Hemingway have in the Thirties as a writer?
Essay Topic 3
What does Hemingway's failure to get a sable bull symbolize? What does it say about Hemingway's character that he vows to return?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)