|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mama not know about Pop?
2. What makes Hemingway anxious to hunt with only one hour of light left?
3. Where does Hemingway compare this new country to?
4. Which town is like a German garrison?
5. Why does Garrick stay behind for the late afternoon hunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the presence of Garrick affect the hunt?
2. How does the return of Karl with his first kudu affect the camp?
3. How does the party react upon discovery of the first sable bull?
4. What does this new country reveal to the author?
5. How does the author initially react to this new country?
6. What is the significance of the arrival of the elderly native hunter?
7. What time period does the narrative return to?
8. How does discovery of the slain kudu surprise the author?
9. What causes the tense confrontation between Karl and the author?
10. What is the significance of the arrow found at the salt lick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the literary style and techniques Hemingway uses in the book. Why does Hemingway adopt this style? What significance does this impart to the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Hemingway talks about living in Africa. Discuss his motivations. Why would he want to live there? What could stop him from living there successfully?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Hemingway is competitive? How does this impact on his relationship with Karl?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)