|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of gun is Pop carrying?
2. What abbreviated name does Hemingway call his father?
3. Who does the Memsahib try to walk like?
4. How does Hemingway know he has killed the bull before he has even seen it?
5. How is Pop able to shoot elephants in high grass?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author have tension with M'cola?
2. What is Karl's mood when the party encounters him again?
3. What is Karl's emotional state when he joins the author's hunting party?
4. How are the author and his wife affected by the sound of the dying buffalo?
5. What happens when the author returns to camp with his rhino?
6. When are Pop and Mama introduced?
7. What reasons does Hemingway give for tracking the lion?
8. What happens when Kandinsky visits Hemingway's camp?
9. How does the author manage to detect the rhino before his trackers do?
10. Why do the author and Pop refuse their baths?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Hemingway so affected by the successes of Karl? Do the students think Hemingway treats Karl in a fair manner? To what extent does Hemingway feel a sense of guilt? What factors influence this guilt?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Hemingway is competitive? How does this impact on his relationship with Karl?
Essay Topic 3
The landscape is often described by Hemingway in his narrative. How does the landscape affect his experiences? What is the significance of the land to the narrative?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)