|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who never swallows his saliva until sunset during Ramadan?
2. Why are the rhinos so hard to find?
3. What was the local guide chased by?
4. Why can the hunting party not get above ridges of hills as they hunt the rhino?
5. What gives away their presence to the rhino?
Short Essay Questions
1. How well remembered is Pop after the hunting trip is over?
2. How does the Tolstoy book the author read affect him?
3. How does the second sable bull elude the hunting party?
4. What causes the tense confrontation between Karl and the author?
5. What is Hemingway's opinion of American writing?
6. Does Pop's earlier advice have any effect on the hunt?
7. What is the significance of the arrow found at the salt lick?
8. What happens when the author returns to camp with his rhino?
9. What causes the author to return to camp angry?
10. What is the significance of Tolstoy on this trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Hemingway is competitive? How does this impact on his relationship with Karl?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the following characters and discuss how the narrative would be affected if they were left out.
Essay Topic 3
How does Hemingway depict the natives in the book? How does today's society view Hemingway's depiction of the natives? Do you think his portrayal is accurate?
This section contains 1,302 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)