|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Spanish shooting boots unsuitable for climbing down steep hills?
2. What animal would Hemingway prefer instead of a rhino?
3. What type of war is the best for a writer?
4. Who is the driver for Hemingway and his hunting party?
5. What type of dog would the P.O.M. prefer to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the author and Pop refuse their baths?
2. What is Karl's emotional state when he joins the author's hunting party?
3. What causes the hunting party to hunt so unusually long into the day?
4. What opinions do the author, Pop and Mama reveal about Karl?
5. What are the author's thoughts about Charo at this stage?
6. How does the author initially react to seeing the new hunting country Droopy guides them to?
7. When are Pop and Mama introduced?
8. How does the author compare M'cola and Droopy?
9. What is Karl's mood when the party encounters him again?
10. How does the author, Pop and Mama initially react to the shooting of the first rhino?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The landscape is often described by Hemingway in his narrative. How does the landscape affect his experiences? What is the significance of the land to the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Hemingway has differing rapport with each of the natives he encounters. Who does he like and why? Who does he not like and why?
Essay Topic 3
How does Hemingway depict the natives in the book? How does today's society view Hemingway's depiction of the natives? Do you think his portrayal is accurate?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)