|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What woman does Hemingway consider no longer beautiful?
2. How do Droopy and Hemingway transport the reedbuck's body back to camp?
3. Who is the driver for Hemingway and his hunting party?
4. What type of hat is Kandisky wearing when he first meets Hemingway?
5. What are they travelling away from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does the group's lion hunt have on the hunting party?
2. How do Kandinsky and Hemingway meet?
3. What is Hemingway's opinion of American writing?
4. How does the author, Pop and Mama initially react to the shooting of the first rhino?
5. Why do the author and Pop refuse their baths?
6. Why does the author have tension with M'cola?
7. What is Hemingway's relationship with M'cola like?
8. What is the significance of Tolstoy on this trip?
9. What happens when the author returns to camp with his rhino?
10. What does Kandinsky say to Hemingway when he first meets him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Hemingway is competitive? How does this impact on his relationship with Karl?
Essay Topic 2
What was East Africa like in the Thirties for foreigners? How did this environment affect Hemingway? How does it affect the other characters? What impact does the climate have upon the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Hemingway has differing rapport with each of the natives he encounters. Who does he like and why? Who does he not like and why?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)