|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is described as having thin Chinese hairs at the corners of his mouth?
2. Where are writers forged?
3. What does Hemingway believe scares away the greater kudu bulls and ruins the first hunt?
4. Why does the rhino appear so red?
5. What is it that confirms that Hemingway successfully shot the rhino?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author have tension with M'cola?
2. What is Hemingway's opinion of American writing?
3. What opinions do the author, Pop and Mama reveal about Karl?
4. How do the author and Karl finally bag their oryx?
5. What reasons does Hemingway give for tracking the lion?
6. How does the author manage to detect the rhino before his trackers do?
7. Why does the author shoot his oryx without first consulting Karl?
8. What is Karl's mood when the party encounters him again?
9. What effect does the group's lion hunt have on the hunting party?
10. What reason does Droopy give for stopping Hemingway shooting the rhino?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of the following characters and discuss how the narrative would be affected if they were left out.
Essay Topic 2
What was East Africa like in the Thirties for foreigners? How did this environment affect Hemingway? How does it affect the other characters? What impact does the climate have upon the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
How reliable is Hemingway's narration? Choose another character and discuss how the story would change if seen through that character's eyes?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)