|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What task is Karl given to make him feel better?
2. What is it that confirms that Hemingway successfully shot the rhino?
3. Why can the hunting party not get above ridges of hills as they hunt the rhino?
4. What does Hemingway remember hunting on the Eve of St. Batholomew?
5. What nationality is Kandisky?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the second sable bull elude the hunting party?
2. Why does Hemingway leave the camp without saying farewell to The Roman?
3. How does the author initially react to this new country?
4. How do Kandinsky and Hemingway meet?
5. Why does the author have tension with M'cola?
6. How does the author, Pop and Mama initially react to the shooting of the first rhino?
7. What opinions do the author, Pop and Mama reveal about Karl?
8. How does the Tolstoy book the author read affect him?
9. How does the party react upon discovery of the first sable bull?
10. How successful is their search?
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Hemingway is competitive? How does this impact on his relationship with Karl?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Pop and P.O.M.. Examine how this relationship affects Hemingway. How does this compare to Hemingway's interaction with his wife?
Essay Topic 3
Hemingway talks about living in Africa. Discuss his motivations. Why would he want to live there? What could stop him from living there successfully?
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)