|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scares Hemingway sick?
2. How is Pop able to shoot elephants in high grass?
3. What task is Karl given to make him feel better?
4. What is the biggest hazard for Hemingway when shooting large animals?
5. What nickname does Hemingway use for his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What affect does this new camp have on author and Karl?
2. What effect does the group's lion hunt have on the hunting party?
3. Why does the author shoot his oryx without first consulting Karl?
4. What effect does this camp in the hunt for kudu?
5. When are Pop and Mama introduced?
6. How does the author, Pop and Mama initially react to the shooting of the first rhino?
7. Why does the author have tension with M'cola?
8. What is Karl's emotional state when he joins the author's hunting party?
9. How does the author compare M'cola and Droopy?
10. What opinions do the author, Pop and Mama reveal about Karl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Hemingway depict the natives in the book? How does today's society view Hemingway's depiction of the natives? Do you think his portrayal is accurate?
Essay Topic 2
The book is written in first person narrative. Why do you think Hemingway chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the third person?
Essay Topic 3
What does Hemingway's failure to get a sable bull symbolize? What does it say about Hemingway's character that he vows to return?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)