|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do they not shoot the first Rhino they find?
2. Who was the only person happy for Karl?
3. Who was meant to wear the U.S. Army khaki tunic given away by Pop?
4. Why is Hemingway's hunting party finding it hard to feel happy for Karl's rhino?
5. What are Nyati?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does the group's lion hunt have on the hunting party?
2. What is Karl's mood when the party encounters him again?
3. What is Karl's emotional state when he joins the author's hunting party?
4. What is Hemingway's relationship with M'cola like?
5. What causes the hunting party to hunt so unusually long into the day?
6. What are the author's thoughts about Charo at this stage?
7. When are Pop and Mama introduced?
8. How is the author surprised by the original wounded buffalo?
9. How successful is their search?
10. What affect does this new camp have on author and Karl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How reliable is Hemingway's narration? Choose another character and discuss how the story would change if seen through that character's eyes?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the differences between Hemingway and Karl. How are their approaches different? What are their strengths and weaknesses as hunters?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Hemingway so affected by the successes of Karl? Do the students think Hemingway treats Karl in a fair manner? To what extent does Hemingway feel a sense of guilt? What factors influence this guilt?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)