|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Hemingway confident of when he used the 470?
2. Why is Pop unsure whether or not Hemingway has shot the rhino?
3. Who finds the group of eight buffalo?
4. What did the thorn tree with yellow blossoms mark?
5. What makes the nasty stink in the forest?
Short Essay Questions
1. When are Pop and Mama introduced?
2. How does the author, Pop and Mama initially react to the shooting of the first rhino?
3. Why does the author have tension with M'cola?
4. Why does the author shoot his oryx without first consulting Karl?
5. What happens when Kandinsky visits Hemingway's camp?
6. What is the significance of Tolstoy on this trip?
7. What is Karl's mood when the party encounters him again?
8. What affect does this new camp have on author and Karl?
9. How does the Tolstoy book the author read affect him?
10. What reason does Droopy give for stopping Hemingway shooting the rhino?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of the following characters and discuss how the narrative would be affected if they were left out.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the literary style and techniques Hemingway uses in the book. Why does Hemingway adopt this style? What significance does this impart to the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
How does Hemingway depict the natives in the book? How does today's society view Hemingway's depiction of the natives? Do you think his portrayal is accurate?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)