|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose gun can Droopy not shoot?
2. What nickname does Hemingway use for his wife?
3. Which book is Hemingway reading The Cossacks from?
4. Why does the rhino appear so red?
5. What makes the nasty stink in the forest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Karl's emotional state when he joins the author's hunting party?
2. How are the author and his wife affected by the sound of the dying buffalo?
3. What are the author's thoughts about Charo at this stage?
4. What causes the hunting party to hunt so unusually long into the day?
5. How does the author, Pop and Mama initially react to the shooting of the first rhino?
6. What reasons does Hemingway give for tracking the lion?
7. Why does the author shoot his oryx without first consulting Karl?
8. What is Hemingway's relationship with M'cola like?
9. What reason does Droopy give for stopping Hemingway shooting the rhino?
10. How does the Tolstoy book the author read affect him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative? Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the narrative's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Hemingway is competitive? How does this impact on his relationship with Karl?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the differences between Hemingway and Karl. How are their approaches different? What are their strengths and weaknesses as hunters?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)