|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the nasty stink in the forest?
2. Who should not have come in search of the wounded buffalo?
3. What does Hemingway tell the hunting party every night?
4. Who does Kandisky look like a caricature of?
5. What do the poor people that travelling westward wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Karl end up with the right to hunt the salt lick?
2. What is the significance of the arrow found at the salt lick?
3. How does the author at feel about sable hunt?
4. What effect does this realization have upon the author?
5. How does the author come to meet The Roman?
6. What is the significance of the arrival of the elderly native hunter?
7. What effect does the group's lion hunt have on the hunting party?
8. What is the significance of Tolstoy on this trip?
9. How does discovery of the slain kudu surprise the author?
10. What time period does the narrative return to?
Essay Topic 1
The landscape is often described by Hemingway in his narrative. How does the landscape affect his experiences? What is the significance of the land to the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Hemingway talks about living in Africa. Discuss his motivations. Why would he want to live there? What could stop him from living there successfully?
Essay Topic 3
Hemingway has differing rapport with each of the natives he encounters. Who does he like and why? Who does he not like and why?
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)