|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Memsahib try to walk like?
2. Who never swallows his saliva until sunset during Ramadan?
3. What noise spooks the hunting party as they search for the wounded buffalo?
4. Why does Hemingway not shoot the kuro in his sights?
5. Which gun does Hemingway try to shoot the buffalo with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author initially react to this new country?
2. How does the author, Pop and Mama initially react to the shooting of the first rhino?
3. How does the return of Karl with his first kudu affect the camp?
4. Why does The Roman's brother join the author's hunting party?
5. How does the party react upon discovery of the first sable bull?
6. How does the author manage to detect the rhino before his trackers do?
7. Why does the author shoot his oryx without first consulting Karl?
8. What are the consequences of the stampede?
9. What is the significance of the overnight rain?
10. What does this new country reveal to the author?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the literary style and techniques Hemingway uses in the book. Why does Hemingway adopt this style? What significance does this impart to the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
How does Hemingway depict the natives in the book? How does today's society view Hemingway's depiction of the natives? Do you think his portrayal is accurate?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Hemingway so affected by the successes of Karl? Do the students think Hemingway treats Karl in a fair manner? To what extent does Hemingway feel a sense of guilt? What factors influence this guilt?
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)