|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the biggest hazard for Hemingway when shooting large animals?
2. What type of knife is used to stick the reedbuck that Hemingway shoots?
3. What does Hemingway tell the hunting party every night?
4. Who was M'Cola's favourite until their licence ran out?
5. Who is described as having thin Chinese hairs at the corners of his mouth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the author surprised by the original wounded buffalo?
2. What effect does this camp in the hunt for kudu?
3. What does Kandinsky say to Hemingway when he first meets him?
4. How successful is their search?
5. How does the author compare M'cola and Droopy?
6. How does the author initially react to seeing the new hunting country Droopy guides them to?
7. Why do the author and Pop refuse their baths?
8. Why does the author have tension with M'cola?
9. What is the significance of Tolstoy on this trip?
10. How does the author manage to detect the rhino before his trackers do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the literary style and techniques Hemingway uses in the book. Why does Hemingway adopt this style? What significance does this impart to the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the narrative's chronological setting. What were the main concerns during this period? How does the author express these concerns? What would change if the narrative were set today?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the differences between Hemingway and Karl. How are their approaches different? What are their strengths and weaknesses as hunters?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)