|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was considered by Hemingway to be the best hunter?
2. What does it mean when a tracker says Kufa?
3. Why did they not attack the Rhino on first sight?
4. Why is Hemingway's hunting party finding it hard to feel happy for Karl's rhino?
5. What does Abdullah do to the guineas that Hemingway shoots down to make them legal to eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Karl's mood when the party encounters him again?
2. How does the author, Pop and Mama initially react to the shooting of the first rhino?
3. How does the Tolstoy book the author read affect him?
4. What affect does this new camp have on author and Karl?
5. How does the author manage to detect the rhino before his trackers do?
6. What is the significance of Tolstoy on this trip?
7. What happens when the author returns to camp with his rhino?
8. How does the author initially react to seeing the new hunting country Droopy guides them to?
9. Why do the author and Pop refuse their baths?
10. What effect does this camp in the hunt for kudu?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative? Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the narrative's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
How does Hemingway depict the natives in the book? How does today's society view Hemingway's depiction of the natives? Do you think his portrayal is accurate?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the differences between Hemingway and Karl. How are their approaches different? What are their strengths and weaknesses as hunters?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)