|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the big native dance festivals also called?
2. What was Hemingway confident of when he used the 470?
3. What task is Karl given to make him feel better?
4. What does Abdullah do to the guineas that Hemingway shoots down to make them legal to eat?
5. What gives away the exact position of the rhino?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author, Pop and Mama initially react to the shooting of the first rhino?
2. What does Kandinsky say to Hemingway when he first meets him?
3. When are Pop and Mama introduced?
4. What is Hemingway's opinion of American writing?
5. How are the author and his wife affected by the sound of the dying buffalo?
6. What happens when the author returns to camp with his rhino?
7. What reasons does Hemingway give for tracking the lion?
8. What is the significance of Tolstoy on this trip?
9. What happens when Kandinsky visits Hemingway's camp?
10. How do Kandinsky and Hemingway meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Hemingway so affected by the successes of Karl? Do the students think Hemingway treats Karl in a fair manner? To what extent does Hemingway feel a sense of guilt? What factors influence this guilt?
Essay Topic 2
Hemingway has differing rapport with each of the natives he encounters. Who does he like and why? Who does he not like and why?
Essay Topic 3
What was East Africa like in the Thirties for foreigners? How did this environment affect Hemingway? How does it affect the other characters? What impact does the climate have upon the narrative?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)