|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What alerts Karl and Dan to the rhino just outside of camp?
2. What drink does Hemingway carry in his flask?
3. Which book is Hemingway reading The Cossacks from?
4. What woman does Hemingway consider no longer beautiful?
5. How does Karl's rhino compare to Hemingway's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Kandinsky visits Hemingway's camp?
2. What effect does this camp in the hunt for kudu?
3. How does the Tolstoy book the author read affect him?
4. What is Karl's emotional state when he joins the author's hunting party?
5. What reasons does Hemingway give for tracking the lion?
6. How successful is their search?
7. What happens when the author returns to camp with his rhino?
8. What is the significance of Tolstoy on this trip?
9. How are the author and his wife affected by the sound of the dying buffalo?
10. Why does the author have tension with M'cola?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book is written in first person narrative. Why do you think Hemingway chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
Hemingway talks about living in Africa. Discuss his motivations. Why would he want to live there? What could stop him from living there successfully?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the narrative's chronological setting. What were the main concerns during this period? How does the author express these concerns? What would change if the narrative were set today?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)