Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Memsahib try to walk like?
2. Who never swallows his saliva until sunset during Ramadan?
3. What noise spooks the hunting party as they search for the wounded buffalo?
4. Why does Hemingway not shoot the kuro in his sights?
5. Which gun does Hemingway try to shoot the buffalo with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author initially react to this new country?
2. How does the author, Pop and Mama initially react to the shooting of the first rhino?
3. How does the return of Karl with his first kudu affect the camp?
4. Why does The Roman's brother join the author's hunting party?
5. How does the party react upon discovery of the first sable bull?
6. How does the author manage to detect the rhino before his trackers do?
7. Why does the author shoot his oryx without first consulting Karl?
8. What are the consequences of the stampede?
9. What is the significance of the overnight rain?
10. What does this new country reveal to the author?
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative? Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the narrative's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
How does Hemingway depict the natives in the book? How does today's society view Hemingway's depiction of the natives? Do you think his portrayal is accurate?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the differences between Hemingway and Karl. How are their approaches different? What are their strengths and weaknesses as hunters?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)