|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Hemingway aiming for when he shot the reedbuck?
2. What does Abdullah do to the guineas that Hemingway shoots down to make them legal to eat?
3. Who was considered by Hemingway to be the best hunter?
4. Why can the hunting party not get above ridges of hills as they hunt the rhino?
5. What does Hemingway believe scares away the greater kudu bulls and ruins the first hunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Kandinsky and Hemingway meet?
2. What happens when Kandinsky visits Hemingway's camp?
3. When are Pop and Mama introduced?
4. What are the author's thoughts about Charo at this stage?
5. What is Hemingway's relationship with M'cola like?
6. What is Hemingway's opinion of American writing?
7. What causes the hunting party to hunt so unusually long into the day?
8. How does the author manage to detect the rhino before his trackers do?
9. What happens when the author returns to camp with his rhino?
10. Why does the author have tension with M'cola?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who does Hemingway suggest has influenced his life? What writers does he mention and why? What standing did Hemingway have in the Thirties as a writer?
Essay Topic 2
What was East Africa like in the Thirties for foreigners? How did this environment affect Hemingway? How does it affect the other characters? What impact does the climate have upon the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
The book is written in first person narrative. Why do you think Hemingway chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the third person?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)