|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Karl's rhino compare to Hemingway's?
2. What does Hemingway suggest is wrong with Kandisky's broken down car?
3. Why does the rhino appear so red?
4. Who does Pop think is better off hunting by himself?
5. Why were the trees at the edge of Droopy's country girdled?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author have tension with M'cola?
2. What causes the hunting party to hunt so unusually long into the day?
3. What reason does Droopy give for stopping Hemingway shooting the rhino?
4. How are the author and his wife affected by the sound of the dying buffalo?
5. How is the author surprised by the original wounded buffalo?
6. How does the author, Pop and Mama initially react to the shooting of the first rhino?
7. What affect does this new camp have on author and Karl?
8. What is Hemingway's opinion of American writing?
9. What effect does this camp in the hunt for kudu?
10. Why does the author shoot his oryx without first consulting Karl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway talks about living in Africa. Discuss his motivations. Why would he want to live there? What could stop him from living there successfully?
Essay Topic 2
If the book were being made into a film, how could Hemingway's literary style be reflected in film? Would the book make a good film?
Essay Topic 3
How does Hemingway depict the natives in the book? How does today's society view Hemingway's depiction of the natives? Do you think his portrayal is accurate?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)