|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weapon is Hemingway using to hunt the greater kudu bulls?
2. What was Hemingway confident of when he used the 470?
3. Why are Spanish shooting boots unsuitable for climbing down steep hills?
4. What is it that confirms that Hemingway successfully shot the rhino?
5. Who was considered by Hemingway to be the best hunter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Kandinsky visits Hemingway's camp?
2. What is Hemingway's relationship with M'cola like?
3. What is Karl's mood when the party encounters him again?
4. What does Kandinsky say to Hemingway when he first meets him?
5. What is Karl's emotional state when he joins the author's hunting party?
6. What effect does the group's lion hunt have on the hunting party?
7. How is the author surprised by the original wounded buffalo?
8. How does the Tolstoy book the author read affect him?
9. Why does the author shoot his oryx without first consulting Karl?
10. What happens when the author returns to camp with his rhino?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book is written in first person narrative. Why do you think Hemingway chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
What was East Africa like in the Thirties for foreigners? How did this environment affect Hemingway? How does it affect the other characters? What impact does the climate have upon the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Pop and P.O.M.. Examine how this relationship affects Hemingway. How does this compare to Hemingway's interaction with his wife?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)