|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pop think is better off hunting by himself?
2. What weapon is Hemingway using to hunt the greater kudu bulls?
3. Who does M'Cola consider the old men in the party?
4. Who writes Spanish Gold?
5. What did the thorn tree with yellow blossoms mark?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the author surprised by the original wounded buffalo?
2. What is Hemingway's relationship with M'cola like?
3. What reason does Droopy give for stopping Hemingway shooting the rhino?
4. How does the author initially react to seeing the new hunting country Droopy guides them to?
5. What is Karl's mood when the party encounters him again?
6. What is Karl's emotional state when he joins the author's hunting party?
7. What happens when the author returns to camp with his rhino?
8. How do the author and Karl finally bag their oryx?
9. When are Pop and Mama introduced?
10. What causes the hunting party to hunt so unusually long into the day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Hemingway so affected by the successes of Karl? Do the students think Hemingway treats Karl in a fair manner? To what extent does Hemingway feel a sense of guilt? What factors influence this guilt?
Essay Topic 2
If the book were being made into a film, how could Hemingway's literary style be reflected in film? Would the book make a good film?
Essay Topic 3
How does Hemingway depict the natives in the book? How does today's society view Hemingway's depiction of the natives? Do you think his portrayal is accurate?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)