|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does everyone believe shot the first Lion?
2. Why is Pop unsure whether or not Hemingway has shot the rhino?
3. Why were the trees at the edge of Droopy's country girdled?
4. Why did they not attack the Rhino on first sight?
5. What does Hemingway's wife think Von Lettow is bitter about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Droopy give for stopping Hemingway shooting the rhino?
2. What is Karl's mood when the party encounters him again?
3. What does Kandinsky say to Hemingway when he first meets him?
4. Why do the author and Pop refuse their baths?
5. What happens when the author returns to camp with his rhino?
6. How does the author initially react to seeing the new hunting country Droopy guides them to?
7. How is the author surprised by the original wounded buffalo?
8. What happens when Kandinsky visits Hemingway's camp?
9. How successful is their search?
10. How does the author compare M'cola and Droopy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Hemingway depict the natives in the book? How does today's society view Hemingway's depiction of the natives? Do you think his portrayal is accurate?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the literary style and techniques Hemingway uses in the book. Why does Hemingway adopt this style? What significance does this impart to the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the differences between Hemingway and Karl. How are their approaches different? What are their strengths and weaknesses as hunters?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)