|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What allows Hemingway his strong sense of smell?
2. What does Droopy do as a precaution before he goes to find the rhino?
3. What did the thorn tree with yellow blossoms mark?
4. What are they travelling away from?
5. What is the biggest hazard for Hemingway when shooting large animals?
Short Essay Questions
1. When are Pop and Mama introduced?
2. What is Karl's mood when the party encounters him again?
3. What is the significance of Tolstoy on this trip?
4. How does the author manage to detect the rhino before his trackers do?
5. Why do the author and Pop refuse their baths?
6. How does the author, Pop and Mama initially react to the shooting of the first rhino?
7. What are the author's thoughts about Charo at this stage?
8. What is Hemingway's opinion of American writing?
9. How does the Tolstoy book the author read affect him?
10. How does the author compare M'cola and Droopy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Hemingway is competitive? How does this impact on his relationship with Karl?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the differences between Hemingway and Karl. How are their approaches different? What are their strengths and weaknesses as hunters?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Hemingway so affected by the successes of Karl? Do the students think Hemingway treats Karl in a fair manner? To what extent does Hemingway feel a sense of guilt? What factors influence this guilt?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)