|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Kandisky look like a caricature of?
2. What was Hemingway confident of when he used the 470?
3. What woman does Hemingway consider no longer beautiful?
4. Why does Hemingway not shoot the kuro in his sights?
5. Why did they not attack the Rhino on first sight?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author, Pop and Mama initially react to the shooting of the first rhino?
2. What is Hemingway's opinion of American writing?
3. What are the author's thoughts about Charo at this stage?
4. What affect does this new camp have on author and Karl?
5. How does the author manage to detect the rhino before his trackers do?
6. How is the author surprised by the original wounded buffalo?
7. Why does the author have tension with M'cola?
8. What is Karl's emotional state when he joins the author's hunting party?
9. What happens when Kandinsky visits Hemingway's camp?
10. How are the author and his wife affected by the sound of the dying buffalo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the opening chapters say about Hemingway's character? What goals does Hemingway have to achieve? How close does Hemingway's character get to achieving those goals?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Hemingway so affected by the successes of Karl? Do the students think Hemingway treats Karl in a fair manner? To what extent does Hemingway feel a sense of guilt? What factors influence this guilt?
Essay Topic 3
If the book were being made into a film, how could Hemingway's literary style be reflected in film? Would the book make a good film?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)