|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hemingway not shoot the kuro in his sights?
2. What type of gun is Pop carrying?
3. Why do they not shoot the first Rhino they find?
4. What task is Karl given to make him feel better?
5. What does M'Cola think is the funniest joke of them all?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the author surprised by the original wounded buffalo?
2. What opinions do the author, Pop and Mama reveal about Karl?
3. What effect does this camp in the hunt for kudu?
4. How are the author and his wife affected by the sound of the dying buffalo?
5. How does the author, Pop and Mama initially react to the shooting of the first rhino?
6. What causes the hunting party to hunt so unusually long into the day?
7. What is Karl's emotional state when he joins the author's hunting party?
8. How successful is their search?
9. How do the author and Karl finally bag their oryx?
10. What effect does the group's lion hunt have on the hunting party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the opening chapters say about Hemingway's character? What goals does Hemingway have to achieve? How close does Hemingway's character get to achieving those goals?
Essay Topic 2
Who does Hemingway suggest has influenced his life? What writers does he mention and why? What standing did Hemingway have in the Thirties as a writer?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Hemingway is competitive? How does this impact on his relationship with Karl?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)