|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are writers forged?
2. What does Droopy do as a precaution before he goes to find the rhino?
3. What type of knife is used to stick the reedbuck that Hemingway shoots?
4. What animal would Hemingway prefer instead of a rhino?
5. What alerts Karl and Dan to the rhino just outside of camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What opinions do the author, Pop and Mama reveal about Karl?
2. What effect does the group's lion hunt have on the hunting party?
3. How do Kandinsky and Hemingway meet?
4. What is Hemingway's relationship with M'cola like?
5. How does the author, Pop and Mama initially react to the shooting of the first rhino?
6. What happens when Kandinsky visits Hemingway's camp?
7. What affect does this new camp have on author and Karl?
8. What effect does this camp in the hunt for kudu?
9. How does the author compare M'cola and Droopy?
10. Why does the author have tension with M'cola?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who does Hemingway suggest has influenced his life? What writers does he mention and why? What standing did Hemingway have in the Thirties as a writer?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Hemingway is competitive? How does this impact on his relationship with Karl?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative? Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the narrative's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)