|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Pop able to shoot elephants in high grass?
2. What gives away their presence to the rhino?
3. Why is Pop unsure whether or not Hemingway has shot the rhino?
4. What does Hemingway remember hunting on the Eve of St. Batholomew?
5. Where are writers forged?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the author returns to camp with his rhino?
2. What happens when Kandinsky visits Hemingway's camp?
3. How does the Tolstoy book the author read affect him?
4. What opinions do the author, Pop and Mama reveal about Karl?
5. How does the author compare M'cola and Droopy?
6. When are Pop and Mama introduced?
7. How does the author manage to detect the rhino before his trackers do?
8. What reason does Droopy give for stopping Hemingway shooting the rhino?
9. What is Hemingway's opinion of American writing?
10. What effect does the group's lion hunt have on the hunting party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The landscape is often described by Hemingway in his narrative. How does the landscape affect his experiences? What is the significance of the land to the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
How does Hemingway depict the natives in the book? How does today's society view Hemingway's depiction of the natives? Do you think his portrayal is accurate?
Essay Topic 3
What does Hemingway's failure to get a sable bull symbolize? What does it say about Hemingway's character that he vows to return?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)