|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hemingway suggest is wrong with Kandisky's broken down car?
2. Who does Pop think is better off hunting by himself?
3. Why are Spanish shooting boots unsuitable for climbing down steep hills?
4. Which book is Hemingway reading The Cossacks from?
5. What does Hemingway believe scares away the greater kudu bulls and ruins the first hunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author, Pop and Mama initially react to the shooting of the first rhino?
2. What causes the hunting party to hunt so unusually long into the day?
3. What is the significance of Tolstoy on this trip?
4. How do Kandinsky and Hemingway meet?
5. What happens when the author returns to camp with his rhino?
6. What reasons does Hemingway give for tracking the lion?
7. How do the author and Karl finally bag their oryx?
8. Why does the author shoot his oryx without first consulting Karl?
9. What affect does this new camp have on author and Karl?
10. What effect does this camp in the hunt for kudu?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who does Hemingway suggest has influenced his life? What writers does he mention and why? What standing did Hemingway have in the Thirties as a writer?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the narrative's chronological setting. What were the main concerns during this period? How does the author express these concerns? What would change if the narrative were set today?
Essay Topic 3
The book is written in first person narrative. Why do you think Hemingway chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the third person?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)