|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hemingway believe scares away the greater kudu bulls and ruins the first hunt?
2. What is a Tembo?
3. What are the big native dance festivals also called?
4. Which book is Hemingway reading The Cossacks from?
5. How does Hemingway know he has killed the bull before he has even seen it?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the author and his wife affected by the sound of the dying buffalo?
2. How is the author affected by his confrontation with Karl?
3. Why does The Roman's brother join the author's hunting party?
4. What are the consequences of the stampede?
5. How does the author manage to detect the rhino before his trackers do?
6. Does Pop's earlier advice have any effect on the hunt?
7. What reasons does Hemingway give for tracking the lion?
8. What effect does the group's lion hunt have on the hunting party?
9. How does the party react upon discovery of the first sable bull?
10. What reason does Droopy give for stopping Hemingway shooting the rhino?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the opening chapters say about Hemingway's character? What goals does Hemingway have to achieve? How close does Hemingway's character get to achieving those goals?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the narrative's chronological setting. What were the main concerns during this period? How does the author express these concerns? What would change if the narrative were set today?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two characters and examine Hemingway's opinions of them at the start of the book. Compare how his feelings towards them have changed by the end of the narrative. What motivates these changes?
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)