|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Karl becoming so unhappy?
(a) Hemingway was stealing his kudu bull.
(b) He missed his shot on the roan antelope.
(c) He could not find any kudu bull to shoot.
(d) The hunting party had forced him to go hunting for meat.
2. Who is as accurate as an historian?
(a) A garbage picker.
(c) A well-inflated dog.
(d) A history student.
3. Who can tell the longest story?
(a) The Roman.
(d) Carlos the Cuban.
4. The gerenuk are similar to what insect?
(a) A camel fly.
(b) Tsetse flies.
(c) A dragonfly.
(d) Praying mantis.
5. What gift does the tallest Masai runner give them?
(a) A white rabbit.
(b) A feathered spear.
(c) A lock of red-stained hair.
(d) A leather pouch filled with water.
6. Why does Hemingway initially not watch M'cola skin the larger bull?
(a) M'cola is very rough when skinning.
(b) He is trying to set up the camera quickly before the sun sets.
(c) He wants to remember the bull as he first saw him.
(d) The sight of blood makes him ill.
7. Where does Hemingway compare this new country to?
(a) Babati in Kenya.
(b) Barcelona in Spain.
(c) Mount Kenya.
(d) Aragon in Spain.
8. What does Hemingway solemnly look at each morning?
(a) His own reflection.
(b) His wife's face.
(c) The rising sun.
(d) The Southern Cross.
9. What did Mama not know about Pop?
(a) He is actually English.
(b) He once lived in Nairobi.
(c) He has traveled to Alaska.
(d) He writes.
10. What does P.O.M. get the men to talk about?
(a) More kudu hunting.
(b) World topics.
(c) Leather pants.
(d) The inadequacy of modern writers.
11. What is the first animal they see in this country?
(a) Herds of Kudu cows.
(b) A flock of guinea fowl.
(c) A group of Grant's gazelles.
(d) Poor looking zebra.
12. How does M'cola anger Hemingway?
(a) His eagerness scares away the kudu.
(b) The Springfield is not cleaned properly.
(c) He doesn't talk to him enough.
(d) He wakes him up too early.
13. Where is the first camp they had in Africa located?
(d) Lake Manyara.
14. What is a panga?
(a) A wet track.
(b) A beaver dam.
(c) A long knife to cut brush with.
(d) A double-bitted axe.
15. What did Hemingway's lucky shot do to the oryx?
(a) Went right between its eyes.
(b) Killed the animal instantly.
(c) Snapped its neck.
(d) Broke its leg.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Hemingway anxious to hunt with only one hour of light left?
2. Why do M'Cola and Hemingway decide to turn back?
3. Which animal moves like a rocking-horse?
4. What is the only difference between Galicia and Handeni?
5. How does Hemingway hand the Springfield to M'cola?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)