|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname does Hemingway use for his wife?
(a) The Colonel.
(b) The Sargeant.
2. How is Pop able to shoot elephants in high grass?
(a) He shoots into the grass randomly.
(b) He sets fire to the grass and scares them out.
(c) He can smell where they are.
(d) By climbing onto a person's shoulders.
3. Who does M'Cola consider the old men in the party?
(a) The P.O.M. and Pop.
(b) Pop and Hemingway.
(c) Hemingway and himself.
(d) Himself and Charo.
4. What animal would Hemingway prefer instead of a rhino?
(a) A wildebeest.
(b) An oryx.
(c) A kudu bull.
(d) A buffalo.
5. What does Hemingway believe scares away the greater kudu bulls and ruins the first hunt?
(a) A lesser kudu bull.
(b) Their car waiting down the road.
(c) The coming of the dusk.
(d) The motor-lorry.
6. Who was the only person happy for Karl?
(a) Karl himself.
(d) The skinner.
7. Why are Spanish shooting boots unsuitable for climbing down steep hills?
(a) The heel is weak and cracks easily.
(b) They are made of soft hide that tears.
(c) The sole is too thin making them uncomfortable.
(d) They are too short in the toe.
8. Why does the rhino appear so red?
(a) From rolling in the mud.
(b) The rhinos are angry.
(c) The color of the dusk sun.
(d) The hunting glasses are tinted red.
9. What are Nyati?
(a) Tsetse flies.
10. Which gun does Hemingway try to shoot the buffalo with?
(a) The P.O.M.'s rifle.
(b) The Springfield.
(c) His heavy 470.
(d) The Mannlicher.
11. Why were the trees at the edge of Droopy's country girdled?
(a) To scare off leopards.
(b) To welcome nearby hunters.
(c) To kill the tsetse flies.
(d) To attract the rhino.
12. What shape are a Kudu Bull's tracks?
13. Where would you go for big rhino?
(a) Mount Kenya.
(b) The Rift Valley.
(c) Lake Manyara.
(d) Handeni country.
14. What do the poor people that travelling westward wear?
(b) Quivers of arrows.
(c) A greasy cloth knotted over one shoulder.
(d) Draped white cloth.
15. What allows Hemingway his strong sense of smell?
(a) He does not drink.
(b) He is a wine connoisseur.
(c) He smokes only occasionally.
(d) He does not smoke.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the rhinos so hard to find?
2. Who can shoot after you cannot see?
3. What does Hemingway remember hunting on the Eve of St. Batholomew?
4. What gives away the exact position of the rhino?
5. What gives away their presence to the rhino?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)