|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which book is Hemingway reading The Cossacks from?
(a) Winston Churchill by Richard Carvel.
(b) Sevastopol by Tolstoy.
(c) Polikushka by Tolstoy.
(d) Richard Carvell by Winston Churchill.
2. What gives away their presence to the rhino?
(a) The noise they make walking through the reeds.
(b) The sound made by their shooting.
(c) The scent of their skin.
(d) Their tracks along the tunnel.
3. What was the local guide chased by?
(a) A tsetse fly.
(b) A leopard.
(c) A baby rhino.
(d) A large rhino.
4. Who does Hemingway's wife think is the greatest writer in America?
(b) Upton Sinclair.
(c) Sinclair Lewis.
5. Who was meant to wear the U.S. Army khaki tunic given away by Pop?
6. What is it that Hemingway thinks makes him unhappy?
(a) Being in the Prado.
(b) When he thinks of other people.
(c) Doing nothing for other people.
(d) That he has been very lucky.
7. What does Hemingway's wife think Von Lettow is bitter about?
(a) American women.
(b) The natives.
(c) The East Indians.
(d) The Aga Khan.
8. Who was the only person happy for Karl?
(b) Karl himself.
(c) The skinner.
9. Who writes Spanish Gold?
(b) George A. Buckingham.
(c) Heinrich Mann.
10. What nickname does Hemingway use for his wife?
(b) The Colonel.
(c) The Sargeant.
11. What noise spooks the hunting party as they search for the wounded buffalo?
(a) Mama following them from behind.
(b) A rhino charging them from behind.
(c) A branch falling suddenly.
(d) The wounded buffalo crashing through the high grass.
12. What does Hemingway suggest is wrong with Kandisky's broken down car?
(a) The engine has a timing knock.
(b) There is a loose fan belt.
(c) The fuel pump is faulty.
(d) A leaking radiator.
13. Who was considered by Hemingway to be the best hunter?
14. What allows Hemingway his strong sense of smell?
(a) He does not drink.
(b) He is a wine connoisseur.
(c) He smokes only occasionally.
(d) He does not smoke.
15. What was Hemingway aiming for when he shot the reedbuck?
(a) The base of its skull.
(b) The centre of its chest.
(c) In between its eyes.
(d) The center of its shoulder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Hemingway confident of when he used the 470?
2. What shape are a Kudu Bull's tracks?
3. At what distance did Hemingway shoot the larger bull?
4. What scares Hemingway sick?
5. Who finds the group of eight buffalo?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)