|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Pop unsure whether or not Hemingway has shot the rhino?
(a) Hemingway is a bad shot.
(b) It was a very long shot.
(c) The rhino was too fast.
(d) He think's that Mama made the shot.
2. What abbreviated name does Hemingway call his father?
(a) Mr P.O.M.
(b) Mr. J.P.
(c) The P.O.P.
(d) The P.O.M.
3. What are they travelling away from?
(a) The rains from the south.
(b) The heat.
(c) A stampede of kudu bulls.
(d) The famine.
4. What does Hemingway believe scares away the greater kudu bulls and ruins the first hunt?
(a) Their car waiting down the road.
(b) The motor-lorry.
(c) The coming of the dusk.
(d) A lesser kudu bull.
5. Which gun does Hemingway try to shoot the buffalo with?
(a) The Mannlicher.
(b) The P.O.M.'s rifle.
(c) The Springfield.
(d) His heavy 470.
6. What do the poor people that travelling westward wear?
(b) A greasy cloth knotted over one shoulder.
(c) Draped white cloth.
(d) Quivers of arrows.
(a) She is too much trouble.
(b) It is his life's joy.
(c) She is the apple of his eye.
(d) It is like a second wife.
8. Who writes Spanish Gold?
(b) Heinrich Mann.
(d) George A. Buckingham.
9. What type of knife is used to stick the reedbuck that Hemingway shoots?
(a) A pen knife.
(b) A hunting knife.
(c) A skinning knife.
(d) A sticking knife.
10. Which book is Hemingway reading The Cossacks from?
(a) Sevastopol by Tolstoy.
(b) Winston Churchill by Richard Carvel.
(c) Richard Carvell by Winston Churchill.
(d) Polikushka by Tolstoy.
11. What does Hemingway say is more difficult than poetry?
(a) A prose that has never been read.
(b) A prose that has been written too many times.
(c) A prose that has never been written.
(d) Prose that is similar to poetry.
12. What color is an old buffalo bull?
13. What is a Tembo?
(a) It is an elephant.
(b) It is a lesser kudu bull.
(c) It is a rhino.
(d) It is a greater giraffe.
14. What are Nyati?
(c) Tsetse flies.
15. Who does Hemingway's wife think is the greatest writer in America?
(c) Upton Sinclair.
(d) Sinclair Lewis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were the trees at the edge of Droopy's country girdled?
2. What nickname does Hemingway use for his wife?
3. Who does everyone believe shot the first Lion?
4. How does Hemingway know he has killed the bull before he has even seen it?
5. What does Hemingway tell the hunting party every night?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)