|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is described as having thin Chinese hairs at the corners of his mouth?
2. Why are the rhinos so hard to find?
(a) They are very shy.
(b) They are too small.
(c) They are well camouflaged.
(d) They are very fast.
3. Why is Pop unsure whether or not Hemingway has shot the rhino?
(a) He think's that Mama made the shot.
(b) It was a very long shot.
(c) Hemingway is a bad shot.
(d) The rhino was too fast.
4. What alerts Karl and Dan to the rhino just outside of camp?
(a) They see its horn above the grass.
(b) They hear a loud rustling in the grass.
(c) A group of tick birds suddenly take flight.
(d) They hear its grunt.
5. What are they travelling away from?
(a) The heat.
(b) A stampede of kudu bulls.
(c) The famine.
(d) The rains from the south.
6. Who writes Spanish Gold?
(a) Heinrich Mann.
(c) George A. Buckingham.
7. What woman does Hemingway consider no longer beautiful?
(c) The Memsahib.
8. Why can the hunting party not get above ridges of hills as they hunt the rhino?
(a) The rhino will spot them if they climb any higher.
(b) The vantage point from the hills is too low.
(c) The easterly wind will blow their scent on ahead and warn the rhino.
(d) The westerly wind is blowing dust preventing them from seeing the rhino.
9. At what distance did Hemingway shoot the larger bull?
(a) Forty paces.
(b) Four hundred paces.
(c) Four hundred yards.
(d) Forty yards.
10. What picture appears on the bottle of beer that they drink?
(a) A yellow buffalo on a black label.
(b) A hunting cap.
(c) A black rhino on a yellow label.
(d) A horseman in armor.
11. Who was meant to wear the U.S. Army khaki tunic given away by Pop?
12. What type of hat is Kandisky wearing when he first meets Hemingway?
(a) A Swahili hunting cap.
(b) A Tyrolese hat.
(c) A tophat.
(d) An army beret.
13. What drink is the finest one there is?
(a) The last round.
(b) The first one.
(c) The second one.
(d) No drink at all.
14. What does Droopy do as a precaution before he goes to find the rhino?
(a) He takes off his hat.
(c) He retrieves a heavier gun.
(d) He removes his clothing.
15. What are Nyati?
(d) Tsetse flies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hemingway's wife think Von Lettow is bitter about?
2. What are the big native dance festivals also called?
3. What gives away their presence to the rhino?
4. What is it that Hemingway thinks makes him unhappy?
5. Which book is Hemingway reading The Cossacks from?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)