|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Celia quickly and quietly married off to?
2. How does Julian earn his new doctor's robes?
3. Why does Ursula beg Celia to return to Cowdray in Part 2, Chapter 15?
4. What remark does Alice make about Celia's appearance?
5. What does Celia murmur when she falls asleep on her wedding night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why has Dr. Julian been rewarded by Queen Mary?
2. How does Celia anger Emma at the birthday party?
3. What does Maggie's appointment as a lady in waiting to the Queen make Celia realize?
4. Describe Sir John Hutchinson.
5. Why does Celia decide to marry Edwin?
6. Why is Sir John's proposal to marry Celia refused?
7. Why does Stephen kiss Celia in Part 2, Chapter 12?
8. Who does Dr. Akananda believe are the reincarnated souls from Celia's past life?
9. Describe the water witch Celia goes to visit.
10. What do Celia and Richard decide to do to honor their past lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is set in 1960's England, as well as Tudor period England. Why might Seton have set the story in these two time periods? Why might Seton have chosen real castles and other locations as a setting for the novel? What tone do these settings bring to the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Anya Seton is a writer of historical fiction and historical romance novels. She has had a number of bestsellers, and a few of her novels have been made into films. How does "Green Darkness" fit in with Seton's other works? Is Seton's a respected novelist in her genre? Do her novels stand the test of time?
Essay Topic 3
What is your opinion of the conclusion of the novel? Are all loose ends tied up? Are there lingering questions? Did the ending shock or surprise you? Are you satisfied with the ending? Why or why not?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)