|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Stephen think Celia de Bohuns resembles?
2. How many days after visiting the princess does Ursula's traveling party reach Cumberland?
3. Why does Stephen hide while the King is visiting?
4. At Cowdray mansion, what does Celia ask about near the fireplace?
5. When is Celia told her marriage to Leonard will take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leonard Dacre treat Celia?
2. Where does Wat find the traveling group a place to stay?
3. What makes Richard hysterical at the end of Part 1, Chapter 2?
4. What dangerous comment does Lady Ursula make in London?
5. What stops Celia from worrying about her wedding?
6. Why is Sir Allen nervous about the King's visit to Cowdray?
7. What is Celia's family background?
8. What does Dr. Julian foresee in Celia's horoscope?
9. How does Stephen react when Celia throws herself at him the day before her trip to the north?
10. What is Stephen's condition when he is retrieved from the dungeon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Green Darkness" is an example of a historical fiction and historical romance novel. Discuss the elements of these genres and why "Green Darkness" is an example.
Essay Topic 2
The novel introduces Celia and Richard as a couple who are experiencing marriage problems. Although it is evident that they once loved each other, something seems to be tearing them apart presently. Describe the way in which Celia and Richard met and fell in love. What goes wrong in their marriage? How do they try to fix it? How do they treat one another? What parallels can be made between the relationship between Celia and Richard Marsdon and Celia de Bohun and Stephen Marsdon?
Essay Topic 3
As the novel explores the idea of reincarnation, it is only fitting that a number of the characters that are found in Part 1 of the novel are also found in Part 2 of the novel. Discuss the character parallels in the different time periods of the novel. Of each pairing, answer the following: what makes these characters similar? What is their role is each time period? Are they able to evolve by the end of the novel?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)