|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard do in times of stress?
2. Where does Richard drag Celia to in Part 1, Chapter 2?
3. Who is Lily?
4. Why does Edna refuse to leave the Marsdon home?
5. What does Richard notice Celia is using more of than usual?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is John Hoby?
2. Why is it suggested Celia should return to living at the Spread Eagle?
3. What dangerous comment does Lady Ursula make in London?
4. What does Celia find Richard reading in the study?
5. What makes Richard hysterical at the end of Part 1, Chapter 2?
6. What was Stephen taught about friendship in the monastery?
7. Who does Celia remind Simkin of?
8. What does Dr. Julian think of Lady Ursula.
9. What does Lady Ursula hope to accomplish by taking Celia to visit the Dacres?
10. What happens to Celia when she visits Cowdray Castle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the novel explores the idea of reincarnation, it is only fitting that a number of the characters that are found in Part 1 of the novel are also found in Part 2 of the novel. Discuss the character parallels in the different time periods of the novel. Of each pairing, answer the following: what makes these characters similar? What is their role is each time period? Are they able to evolve by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is set during the Tudor period. Discuss Tudor society, as well as what is happening in England at the time in which the novel is set and how this affects the characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Seton uses elements of the mystical in the novel "Green Darkness". In a novel where real historical figures are present, how do the mystical elements fare? Does Seton use them effectively? Are they a believable aspect of the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)