|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ursula decide to take Celia at the end of Part 2, Chapter 6?
2. When is Celia told her marriage to Leonard will take place?
3. Who barges in on Celia and Richard after the party?
4. What year is it at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 4?
5. For what reason did Stephen vow to hate Sir Anthony Browne?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is John Hoby?
2. How does Celia de Bohun come to live at Cowdray Castle?
3. What does Dr. Julian foresee in Celia's horoscope?
4. What was Stephen taught about friendship in the monastery?
5. What does Celia do to make Richard jealous?
6. What does Dr. Akananda suspect after hearing Celia's murmurings at night?
7. What does Celia find Richard reading in the study?
8. Why is Lady Jane Grey becoming heir to the throne of England a bad thing for Sir Anthony?
9. Why has the monk, Stephen, been hidden away?
10. What is Celia's mood like when she and Ursula set out for the north?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Seton uses time travel to transport the protagonist to a previous life in Tudor England. Does the use of time travel work in a historical fiction novel? Why or why not? Is Seton's use of time travel effective? Is it believable?
Essay Topic 2
The novel introduces Celia and Richard as a couple who are experiencing marriage problems. Although it is evident that they once loved each other, something seems to be tearing them apart presently. Describe the way in which Celia and Richard met and fell in love. What goes wrong in their marriage? How do they try to fix it? How do they treat one another? What parallels can be made between the relationship between Celia and Richard Marsdon and Celia de Bohun and Stephen Marsdon?
Essay Topic 3
A recurring motif of the novel "Green Darkness" is forbidden love, especially between Celia de Bohun and Stephen Marsdon. How does this motif affect the emotions of the reader? Why is their love forbidden and how do they overcome this hurdle? What other characters experience forbidden love?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)