|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Celia begin to talk about when she sits in Cowdray mansion?
2. At Cowdray mansion, what does Celia ask about near the fireplace?
3. How is Celia's behavior at dinner?
4. Where does Ursula provide Julian a place to stay the night?
5. What does Nanny suspect is wrong with Richard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Celia when she visited Cowdray castle?
2. What is Celia's family background?
3. What kind of treatment does Dr. Akananda get from the doctors and nurses at the hospital?
4. Why does Stephen make a vow to hate Sir Anthony?
5. Why is Lady Jane Grey becoming heir to the throne of England a bad thing for Sir Anthony?
6. Why does Simkin lose interest in Celia?
7. Who is Bloody Bess?
8. Why does Edna Simpson dislike Celia?
9. What does Dr. Julian think of Lady Ursula.
10. What upsets Celia about her conversation with Dr. Akananda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel introduces Celia and Richard as a couple who are experiencing marriage problems. Although it is evident that they once loved each other, something seems to be tearing them apart presently. Describe the way in which Celia and Richard met and fell in love. What goes wrong in their marriage? How do they try to fix it? How do they treat one another? What parallels can be made between the relationship between Celia and Richard Marsdon and Celia de Bohun and Stephen Marsdon?
Essay Topic 2
What is your opinion of the conclusion of the novel? Are all loose ends tied up? Are there lingering questions? Did the ending shock or surprise you? Are you satisfied with the ending? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"Green Darkness" is an example of a historical fiction and historical romance novel. Discuss the elements of these genres and why "Green Darkness" is an example.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)