|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is George Simpson?
2. For what reason did Stephen vow to hate Sir Anthony Browne?
3. After King Henry VIII disbanded the monasteries, where did Stephen go for his studies?
4. Who does Celia remind Simkin of?
5. Where is Celia from originally?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Celia find Richard reading in the study?
2. Why does Edna Simpson dislike Celia?
3. How does Stephen react when Celia throws herself at him the day before her trip to the north?
4. Who is John Hoby?
5. How does Celia react to seeing Stephen for the first time after returning to Cowdray?
6. Why does Simkin lose interest in Celia?
7. What kind of treatment does Dr. Akananda get from the doctors and nurses at the hospital?
8. What is Celia's family background?
9. What does Celia do to make Richard jealous?
10. Why has the monk, Stephen, been hidden away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anya Seton is a writer of historical fiction and historical romance novels. She has had a number of bestsellers, and a few of her novels have been made into films. How does "Green Darkness" fit in with Seton's other works? Is Seton's a respected novelist in her genre? Do her novels stand the test of time?
Essay Topic 2
Religion is a prominent aspect of 16th century life in England. It is closely intertwined with the government and the Monarchy. Discuss how religion and the changes happening during the time with religion affect the characters of the novel "Green Darkness".
Essay Topic 3
Seton uses time travel to transport the protagonist to a previous life in Tudor England. Does the use of time travel work in a historical fiction novel? Why or why not? Is Seton's use of time travel effective? Is it believable?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)