|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what are Cap'n Dan, Smitty, Pop Weaver, and Fred commenting?
2. How does Ellie respond when Jack asks if there are any new cables or money coming in.
3. What does Jack crumple up?
4. Does the "suitable memento" recognize Jack?
5. What does Jack say is the only thing he has left?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack throws the fight.
Part 1) Why does he throw the fight? How does this represent the black community?
Part 2) How does he leave his opponent? Why is this significant?
Part 3) What does this say about Jack and his life from here on out? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Jack is called both a boxer and a campeon.
Part 1) Who calls him these names? Why do they call him these names?
Part 2) What is the significance of these names? How do act as reminders to Jack?
Part 3) Do you believe that these names sum up who Jack is? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Jack tries to pursue his American Dream elsewhere.
Part 1) What is the American Dream?
Part 2) Why does Jack do this? Where does he go? Describe his experiences in other countries.
Part 2) What do Jack's experiences say about the American Dream?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)