|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack angrily ask Tick to do?
2. How does Jack respond to Smitty?
3. What does Jack say to hist trainer, when he begins chatting about the new White Hope?
4. How does Jack react when Ellie tells him to stop dancing and singing?
5. Who enters on the opposite side of the stage, speaking about how everybody deep in their hearts is afraid of "blackness?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Soliloquy is utilized in this play.
Part 1) What is a soliloquy? Describe the soliloquy in this play.
Part 2) What is the purpose for each soliloquy?
Part 3) Would this play be as effective without the soliloquies? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Jack's last fight is rigged.
Part 1) How does this come about? Why is this fight rigged?
Part 2) What does this rigged fight symbolize?
Part 3) Why does Jack accept this rigged fight? What does this reveal about his character at this point in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Jack is called both a boxer and a campeon.
Part 1) Who calls him these names? Why do they call him these names?
Part 2) What is the significance of these names? How do act as reminders to Jack?
Part 3) Do you believe that these names sum up who Jack is? Why or why not?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)