|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far away does Cap'n Dan realize that is?
2. Why does Smitty ask Ellie whether they are considering settling in France?
3. How does Jack get the officers to leave him alone with his "suitable memento?"
4. What does Smitty ask is the reason for Jack's behavior?
5. Does this speaker say that the audience can go ahead and hate her if they want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Bachman is Ellie's mother.
Part 1) How is she affected by Ellie and Jack's relationship? Why?
Part 2) What is the purpose of her soliloquy?
Part 3) Based on what you know about her, how might she have reacted to Ellie's suicide?
Essay Topic 2
Various crowd scenes exist throughout this play.
Part 1) Describe these crowd scenes.
Part 2) What is the purpose of these scenes?
Part 3) Are these crowd scenes effective ways to engage the audience and indirectly express details about the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Soliloquy is utilized in this play.
Part 1) What is a soliloquy? Describe the soliloquy in this play.
Part 2) What is the purpose for each soliloquy?
Part 3) Would this play be as effective without the soliloquies? Why or why not?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)