Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Pop think the fight will happen right away?
2. How does the audience respond after this scene?
3. Who enters on the opposite side of the stage, speaking about how everybody deep in their hearts is afraid of "blackness?"
4. What does Smitty ask is the reason for Jack's behavior?
5. What does this speaker discuss?
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Jefferson dies.
Part 1) How is her death foreshadowed? How are others, especially Jack, affected by her death?
Part 2) What do other characters in her funeral procession represent? How do you know this?
Part 3) How does the scene in which Mrs. Jefferson's funeral procession take place symbolize a larger sadness and frustration?
Essay Topic 2
Blackface was performed in minstrel shows.
Part 1) What is Blackface? How is it hurtful to African Americans?
Part 2) How is it used in this play? Why is it used?
Part 3) What does Blackface reflect about society at this time?
Essay Topic 3
The physical fight between Jack and the White Hope is symbolic.
Part 1) What does it symbolize?
Part 2) How does this fight affect everyday citizens? Why?
Part 3) How does this put large amounts of pressure on the fighters? How do they feel about being symbols?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)