|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why will Tick not take Ellie for a walk?
2. What does Fred think about fixed fights?says the new White Hope can beat Jack fair and square, and he also says that he doesn't believe in fixed fights.
3. Does the "suitable memento" recognize Jack?
4. What happens as Clara starts to cry?
5. Which of the men expresses doubts that the fighter is capable?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used in this play.
Part 1) How is foreshadowing used in this play?
Part 2) Is this literary device necessary to this story? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does this foreshadowing affect the audience? Does it prepare them for what is to come? Does it add to the suspense? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Jack and Ellie perform scenes from Uncle Tom's Cabin.
Part 1) What is Uncle Tom's Cabin? Why is this significant?
Part 2) What does this performance reveal about Jack? How does it echo events in previous scenes?
Part 3) Is this performance an effective way to indirectly reveal what is happening to Jack's character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Blackface was performed in minstrel shows.
Part 1) What is Blackface? How is it hurtful to African Americans?
Part 2) How is it used in this play? Why is it used?
Part 3) What does Blackface reflect about society at this time?
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)