|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Pop think the fight will happen right away?
2. How does the audience respond after this scene?
3. Who enters on the opposite side of the stage, speaking about how everybody deep in their hearts is afraid of "blackness?"
4. What does Smitty ask is the reason for Jack's behavior?
5. What does this speaker discuss?
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used in this play.
Part 1) How is foreshadowing used in this play?
Part 2) Is this literary device necessary to this story? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does this foreshadowing affect the audience? Does it prepare them for what is to come? Does it add to the suspense? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Jefferson reminisces about Jack's childhood.
Part 1) What are her memories? What do these memories reveal about Jack?
Part 2) How do her memories reiterate development's of the play's theme?
Part 3) What do her memories foreshadow? How does her reminiscing help to develop Jack's character and to flesh out his character?
Essay Topic 3
Jack tries to pursue his American Dream elsewhere.
Part 1) What is the American Dream?
Part 2) Why does Jack do this? Where does he go? Describe his experiences in other countries.
Part 2) What do Jack's experiences say about the American Dream?
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)