|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cameron's response to this well-spoken black man?
2. Whose power does this man believe black people should accept?
3. About what does Mrs. Jefferson worry?
4. Why does Cap'n Dan tell Brady the whole country is going to feel let down?
5. How do Cap'n Dan and Fred respond to Brady's confession?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this scene open?
2. What is a complaint by one of the witnesses?
3. What does Jack say, when he is finally allowed to speak?
4. Why are Pop Weaver, Cap'n Dan and Fred watching a film of a fighter?
5. Who confronts District Attorney Cameron?
6. How does Treacher respond to these complaints?
7. How does the fight end?
8. What is taking place outside the arena in Reno?
9. What does Mrs. Jefferson reminisce about Jack?
10. What decision is made between Cameron and Dixon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play's theme is that integrity and self-respect have to come from within rather than an outside source.
Part 1) How is this theme revealed?
Part 2) How is this theme reflected in the behaviors and attitudes of the various characters?
Part 3) What literary devices are used to support this theme? How?
Essay Topic 2
Jack comes across as simple and straightforward.
Part 1) How do you know this? How does he come to be this way?
Part 2) How does he change throughout the play? Why?
Part 3) How the changes he goes through reflect the pressure he is under?
Part 4) How does the change in Jack affect others? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Jefferson dies.
Part 1) How is her death foreshadowed? How are others, especially Jack, affected by her death?
Part 2) What do other characters in her funeral procession represent? How do you know this?
Part 3) How does the scene in which Mrs. Jefferson's funeral procession take place symbolize a larger sadness and frustration?
This section contains 1,952 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)