|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what is the performer's song?
2. How does the crowd react as Jack enters?
3. What is Cameron's response to this well-spoken black man?
4. Why does the Pastor believe Mrs. Jefferson is lucky?
5. Why does Jack call Ellie honey?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Bachman end her monologue?
2. What does Jack say, when he is finally allowed to speak?
3. How does the reader know that Jack is worried about money?
4. What decision is made between Cameron and Dixon?
5. What does Smitty say when he enters the scene?
6. How does Treacher respond to these complaints?
7. Why does Ellie enter with Ragosy?
8. What takes place in this scene?
9. How do the men feel about the fighter? What is Dixon's plan?
10. Why is a group of black people collecting signatures and money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play's theme is that integrity and self-respect have to come from within rather than an outside source.
Part 1) How is this theme revealed?
Part 2) How is this theme reflected in the behaviors and attitudes of the various characters?
Part 3) What literary devices are used to support this theme? How?
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Jefferson dies.
Part 1) How is her death foreshadowed? How are others, especially Jack, affected by her death?
Part 2) What do other characters in her funeral procession represent? How do you know this?
Part 3) How does the scene in which Mrs. Jefferson's funeral procession take place symbolize a larger sadness and frustration?
Essay Topic 3
Jack boxes through Round 10 in his last fight.
Part 1) How does this affect others? Why are they affected this way?
Part 2) Why does Jack do this? What does this reveal about him?
Part 3) What does this mean for the bigger picture and the fight between the black and white communities?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)