|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Jefferson promise Jack?
2. Tick enters with the news that Jack has been fined and sentenced how much?
3. What does an extremely well-spoken black man say about Jack's behavior?
4. How does a man in the crowd joke about Brady?
5. How much prison time does Cameron tell Jack he could face?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the fight end?
2. How does Treacher respond to these complaints?
3. What does Goldie think about Jack dating Ellie?
4. What does Jack say, when he is finally allowed to speak?
5. How does Mrs. Bachman end her monologue?
6. Of what does Mrs. Bachman say people are afraid?
7. What does he do with the telegram? Why does he do this?
8. Why is a group of black people collecting signatures and money?
9. Describe Mrs. Jefferson's funeral procession.
10. Why does Ellie ask Jack if he feels all right?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack throws the fight.
Part 1) Why does he throw the fight? How does this represent the black community?
Part 2) How does he leave his opponent? Why is this significant?
Part 3) What does this say about Jack and his life from here on out? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
The physical fight between Jack and the White Hope is symbolic.
Part 1) What does it symbolize?
Part 2) How does this fight affect everyday citizens? Why?
Part 3) How does this put large amounts of pressure on the fighters? How do they feel about being symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Ellie is much like Jack.
Part 1) How are they alike? How does this affect their relationship?
Part 2) how are they different? How does this affect both of them, as well as others?
Part 3) How does their relationship and characters change throughout the play? What is the connection between these changes?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)