|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the second witness, who makes racist remarks as she complains about the parties, noise, and destructive behavior that took place in the apartment that Jack and Ellie rented from her?
2. Why was Ellie in Australia?
3. What does a reporter call Brady?
4. About what does Smitty warn Goldie?
5. How does Sir William respond to Coates' comment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a complaint by one of the witnesses?
2. Why does the crowd start booing during the fight between Jack and the Polish fighter?
3. How does Goldie respond when he sees Ellie?
4. How does this scene open?
5. Why does Ellie ask Jack if he feels all right?
6. What does Jack ask of Ellie at the beginning of the scene? What is her response?
7. Describe the interaction between Jack and the Young Black German Man.
8. About what are Goldie and Tick concerned?
9. How does Jack respond when Smitty asks him if he is being so stubborn because he wants to keep the champion title a little longer?
10. How does Clara act during the procession? Why does she act this way? How do others react to her behavior?
Essay Topic 1
Jack boxes through Round 10 in his last fight.
Part 1) How does this affect others? Why are they affected this way?
Part 2) Why does Jack do this? What does this reveal about him?
Part 3) What does this mean for the bigger picture and the fight between the black and white communities?
Essay Topic 2
The physical fight between Jack and the White Hope is symbolic.
Part 1) What does it symbolize?
Part 2) How does this fight affect everyday citizens? Why?
Part 3) How does this put large amounts of pressure on the fighters? How do they feel about being symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Jack and Ellie perform scenes from Uncle Tom's Cabin.
Part 1) What is Uncle Tom's Cabin? Why is this significant?
Part 2) What does this performance reveal about Jack? How does it echo events in previous scenes?
Part 3) Is this performance an effective way to indirectly reveal what is happening to Jack's character? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,896 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)