|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Goldie plead with Jack to not do?
2. How does Jack respond when Smitty asks whether Jack really thinks he can win?
3. What does a group of rangers arrive and announce?
4. Where are Jack, Ellie, Tick, and Goldie at the beginning of the scene?
5. Why does Jack call Ellie honey?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jack respond to Ragosy's request? What is Ellie's reaction?
2. Why does Jack call Ellie honey?
3. How does Goldie respond when he sees Ellie?
4. How do the men feel about the fighter? What is Dixon's plan?
5. What does Mrs. Jefferson reminisce about Jack?
6. How does this scene begin?
7. What does Smitty say when he enters the scene?
8. What takes place when the protesters arrive?
9. How is Brady convinced to fight this match?
10. How does this scene open?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The physical fight between Jack and the White Hope is symbolic.
Part 1) What does it symbolize?
Part 2) How does this fight affect everyday citizens? Why?
Part 3) How does this put large amounts of pressure on the fighters? How do they feel about being symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Jack is called both a boxer and a campeon.
Part 1) Who calls him these names? Why do they call him these names?
Part 2) What is the significance of these names? How do act as reminders to Jack?
Part 3) Do you believe that these names sum up who Jack is? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ellie is much like Jack.
Part 1) How are they alike? How does this affect their relationship?
Part 2) how are they different? How does this affect both of them, as well as others?
Part 3) How does their relationship and characters change throughout the play? What is the connection between these changes?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)