|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack say will happen now that a match has been arranged for him?
2. What does a Deacon tell Jack?
3. Late at night in a hotel room in Wisconsin, what does Jack try to get Ellie to do?
4. A moment later a crowd of marchers enters, doing what?
5. Does Cameron suggests that Ellie should be ashamed of what she is doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the fight end?
2. How does Jack respond to Smitty?
3. What does he do with the telegram? Why does he do this?
4. What does Smitty say when he enters the scene?
5. How does Goldie respond when he sees Ellie?
6. Describe the confrontation between Cameron and Ellie.
7. Describe Mrs. Jefferson's funeral procession.
8. How does Jack respond when Smitty asks him if he is being so stubborn because he wants to keep the champion title a little longer?
9. Who confronts District Attorney Cameron?
10. What takes place at the beginning of this scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Jack and Ellie perform scenes from Uncle Tom's Cabin. Part 1) What is Uncle Tom's Cabin? Why is this significant? Part 2) What does this performance reveal about Jack? How does it echo events in previous scenes? Part 3) Is this performance an effective way to indirectly reveal what is happening to Jack's character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2Blackface was performed in minstrel shows. Part 1) What is Blackface? How is it hurtful to African Americans? Part 2) How is it used in this play? Why is it used? Part 3) What does Blackface reflect about society at this time?
Essay Topic 3The play's theme is that integrity and self-respect have to come from within rather than an outside source. Part 1) How is this theme revealed? Part 2) How is this theme reflected in the behaviors and attitudes of the various characters? Part 3) What literary devices are used to support this theme? How?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)