|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does a man in the crowd joke about Brady?
2. Why does Cap'n Dan refuse to have the fight in any large cities?
3. Why does Cap'n Dan tell Brady the whole country is going to feel let down?
4. Knowing Jack is involved with a white girl is going to do what?
5. How does the play begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Jack, Ellie, and Goldie in a diplomatic office in London, England?
2. How does Clara act during the procession? Why does she act this way? How do others react to her behavior?
3. What racist comments does the performer make?
4. Who waits with Mrs. Jefferson as she is waiting for news from Jack's trial?
5. How does Jack respond when Smitty asks him if he is being so stubborn because he wants to keep the champion title a little longer?
6. How does this scene open?
7. What is the final decision on Dixon's plan?
8. How does the reader know that Jack is worried about money?
9. How does the scene open?
10. What does Jack say, when he is finally allowed to speak?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Jefferson reminisces about Jack's childhood.
Part 1) What are her memories? What do these memories reveal about Jack?
Part 2) How do her memories reiterate development's of the play's theme?
Part 3) What do her memories foreshadow? How does her reminiscing help to develop Jack's character and to flesh out his character?
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Bachman is Ellie's mother.
Part 1) How is she affected by Ellie and Jack's relationship? Why?
Part 2) What is the purpose of her soliloquy?
Part 3) Based on what you know about her, how might she have reacted to Ellie's suicide?
Essay Topic 3
The physical fight between Jack and the White Hope is symbolic.
Part 1) What does it symbolize?
Part 2) How does this fight affect everyday citizens? Why?
Part 3) How does this put large amounts of pressure on the fighters? How do they feel about being symbols?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)