|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is a large crowd of black people gathered?
2. How do the white people in the audience respond?
3. What does Jack sing softly?
4. Why do the marchers leave?
5. Who is with Mrs. Jefferson?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this scene begin?
2. What takes place when a Polish boxer arrives in France?
3. How does the scene open?
4. What does Goldie tell Jack?
5. What does one reporter say about Brady being the White Hope?
6. How does the fight end?
7. How does Jack respond to Smitty?
8. Why does Jack say he does not need to warm up?
9. Why does Ellie ask Jack if he feels all right?
10. How does the reader know that Jack is worried about money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Soliloquy is utilized in this play.
Part 1) What is a soliloquy? Describe the soliloquy in this play.
Part 2) What is the purpose for each soliloquy?
Part 3) Would this play be as effective without the soliloquies? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Jack and Ellie perform scenes from Uncle Tom's Cabin.
Part 1) What is Uncle Tom's Cabin? Why is this significant?
Part 2) What does this performance reveal about Jack? How does it echo events in previous scenes?
Part 3) Is this performance an effective way to indirectly reveal what is happening to Jack's character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Blackface was performed in minstrel shows.
Part 1) What is Blackface? How is it hurtful to African Americans?
Part 2) How is it used in this play? Why is it used?
Part 3) What does Blackface reflect about society at this time?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)