|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom does Brady face intense pressure?
2. About what does the performer joke?
3. How does Sir William respond to Coates' comment?
4. What does Coates do regarding Sir William's attempts to keep order?
5. Where are several things are going on, such as a dice game, bets on the outcome of the fight, and a performer in blackface performing for a group of fans unable to get into the arena itself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the reader know that Jack is worried about money?
2. What does Smitty say when he enters the scene?
3. How does Goldie respond when he sees Ellie?
4. What takes place when a Polish boxer arrives in France?
5. How does Jack respond to Smitty?
6. What takes place when the protesters arrive?
7. Who waits with Mrs. Jefferson as she is waiting for news from Jack's trial?
8. What decision is made between Cameron and Dixon?
9. How does this scene begin?
10. Why does Ellie ask Jack if he feels all right?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Jefferson dies.
Part 1) How is her death foreshadowed? How are others, especially Jack, affected by her death?
Part 2) What do other characters in her funeral procession represent? How do you know this?
Part 3) How does the scene in which Mrs. Jefferson's funeral procession take place symbolize a larger sadness and frustration?
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Bachman is Ellie's mother.
Part 1) How is she affected by Ellie and Jack's relationship? Why?
Part 2) What is the purpose of her soliloquy?
Part 3) Based on what you know about her, how might she have reacted to Ellie's suicide?
Essay Topic 3
Various crowd scenes exist throughout this play.
Part 1) Describe these crowd scenes.
Part 2) What is the purpose of these scenes?
Part 3) Are these crowd scenes effective ways to engage the audience and indirectly express details about the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)