|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Late at night in a hotel room in Wisconsin, what does Jack try to get Ellie to do?
2. What does a Deacon tell Jack?
3. Who says that the black man did not fight "like a man" in a match in Australia?
4. How does the crowd react as Brady arrives?
5. What do the men say a good White Hope could do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the fight end?
2. What does Smitty say when he enters the scene?
3. What takes place in this scene?
4. How does the reader know that Jack is worried about money?
5. How is Brady convinced to fight this match?
6. What takes place when Jack begins to speak?
7. What does Goldie think about Jack dating Ellie?
8. Why do a group of rangers arrive?
9. How does this scene open?
10. What is the final decision on Dixon's plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack tries to pursue his American Dream elsewhere.
Part 1) What is the American Dream?
Part 2) Why does Jack do this? Where does he go? Describe his experiences in other countries.
Part 2) What do Jack's experiences say about the American Dream?
Essay Topic 2
The play's theme is that integrity and self-respect have to come from within rather than an outside source.
Part 1) How is this theme revealed?
Part 2) How is this theme reflected in the behaviors and attitudes of the various characters?
Part 3) What literary devices are used to support this theme? How?
Essay Topic 3
Contrast exists throughout several scenes in this play.
Part 1) Describe these contrasts. How do these contrasts enhance the story?
Part 2) What is the purpose for these contrasts?
Part 3) What do these contrasts reveal about real life?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)