|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellie sleepily imagine?
2. About what are Goldie and Tick concerned?
3. Who have been listening to the confrontation?
4. What does Mrs. Jefferson promise Jack?
5. How does the crowd react as Jack enters?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jack respond when Smitty asks him if he is being so stubborn because he wants to keep the champion title a little longer?
2. What does Goldie tell Jack?
3. What takes place when a Polish boxer arrives in France?
4. How does Goldie respond when he sees Ellie?
5. Why are Jack, Ellie, and Goldie in a diplomatic office in London, England?
6. What is a complaint by one of the witnesses?
7. Why are Pop Weaver, Cap'n Dan and Fred watching a film of a fighter?
8. How does Mrs. Bachman end her monologue?
9. How does Jack respond to Smitty?
10. What does Goldie think about Jack dating Ellie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack's last fight is rigged.
Part 1) How does this come about? Why is this fight rigged?
Part 2) What does this rigged fight symbolize?
Part 3) Why does Jack accept this rigged fight? What does this reveal about his character at this point in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Bachman is Ellie's mother.
Part 1) How is she affected by Ellie and Jack's relationship? Why?
Part 2) What is the purpose of her soliloquy?
Part 3) Based on what you know about her, how might she have reacted to Ellie's suicide?
Essay Topic 3
Jack is called both a boxer and a campeon.
Part 1) Who calls him these names? Why do they call him these names?
Part 2) What is the significance of these names? How do act as reminders to Jack?
Part 3) Do you believe that these names sum up who Jack is? Why or why not?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)