|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who have been listening to the confrontation?
2. What do the men say a good White Hope could do?
3. About what are Goldie and Tick concerned?
4. For what does Jack thank Brady?
5. How does the crowd react as Brady arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place when a Polish boxer arrives in France?
2. What takes place in this scene?
3. What does Ellie do, as Jack softly sings a verse of a blues song?
4. Describe the confrontation between Cameron and Ellie.
5. What takes place when Jack begins to speak?
6. Why is a group of black people collecting signatures and money?
7. How does the play begin?
8. What does he do with the telegram? Why does he do this?
9. What does Smitty say when he enters the scene?
10. How does Jack feel before the fight with the Polish boxer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Jefferson reminisces about Jack's childhood.
Part 1) What are her memories? What do these memories reveal about Jack?
Part 2) How do her memories reiterate development's of the play's theme?
Part 3) What do her memories foreshadow? How does her reminiscing help to develop Jack's character and to flesh out his character?
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Bachman is Ellie's mother.
Part 1) How is she affected by Ellie and Jack's relationship? Why?
Part 2) What is the purpose of her soliloquy?
Part 3) Based on what you know about her, how might she have reacted to Ellie's suicide?
Essay Topic 3
Soliloquy is utilized in this play.
Part 1) What is a soliloquy? Describe the soliloquy in this play.
Part 2) What is the purpose for each soliloquy?
Part 3) Would this play be as effective without the soliloquies? Why or why not?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)