|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cameron's response to this well-spoken black man?
2. Why does Cap'n Dan refuse to have the fight in any large cities?
3. Who says that the black man did not fight "like a man" in a match in Australia?
4. What does Jack do when Clara clings to him?
5. What are the people demanding from District Attorney Cameron?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place in this scene?
2. Why are Jack, Ellie, and Goldie in a diplomatic office in London, England?
3. What does Jack ask of Ellie at the beginning of the scene? What is her response?
4. How does Clara act during the procession? Why does she act this way? How do others react to her behavior?
5. What takes place when Jack begins to speak?
6. Why do a group of rangers arrive?
7. How does the play begin?
8. What does Ellie do, as Jack softly sings a verse of a blues song?
9. What is decided about the fight?
10. What do Cap'n Dan, Smitty, Pop Weaver, and Fred say about Jack's publicity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play's theme is that integrity and self-respect have to come from within rather than an outside source.
Part 1) How is this theme revealed?
Part 2) How is this theme reflected in the behaviors and attitudes of the various characters?
Part 3) What literary devices are used to support this theme? How?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used in this play.
Part 1) How is foreshadowing used in this play?
Part 2) Is this literary device necessary to this story? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does this foreshadowing affect the audience? Does it prepare them for what is to come? Does it add to the suspense? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Ellie commits suicide.
Part 1) Why does she commit suicide? What foreshadows her suicide?
Part 2) How does her suicide affect Jack? Why does it affect him this way?
Part 3) Is her suicide necessary to this plot and to changes in Jack's character? Why or why not?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)