Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what is the performer's song?
2. What is Cameron's response to this well-spoken black man?
3. What do the men say a good White Hope could do?
4. Dixon and five white men burst in and, after a scuffle, arrest Jack for what?
5. Why was Ellie in Australia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision is made between Cameron and Dixon?
2. How does this scene open?
3. What is taking place outside the arena in Reno?
4. Why are Jack, Ellie, and Goldie in a diplomatic office in London, England?
5. What does one reporter say about Brady being the White Hope?
6. How does Mrs. Bachman end her monologue?
7. What does Goldie think about Jack dating Ellie?
8. How does Jack respond when Smitty asks him if he is being so stubborn because he wants to keep the champion title a little longer?
9. How does the reader know that Jack is worried about money?
10. What is a complaint by one of the witnesses?
Essay Topic 1
Jack boxes through Round 10 in his last fight.
Part 1) How does this affect others? Why are they affected this way?
Part 2) Why does Jack do this? What does this reveal about him?
Part 3) What does this mean for the bigger picture and the fight between the black and white communities?
Essay Topic 2
Jack tries to pursue his American Dream elsewhere.
Part 1) What is the American Dream?
Part 2) Why does Jack do this? Where does he go? Describe his experiences in other countries.
Part 2) What do Jack's experiences say about the American Dream?
Essay Topic 3
Blackface was performed in minstrel shows.
Part 1) What is Blackface? How is it hurtful to African Americans?
Part 2) How is it used in this play? Why is it used?
Part 3) What does Blackface reflect about society at this time?
This section contains 1,830 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)