|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Jack have left on bail and the right to appeal?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Four weeks.
(c) One week.
(d) Three weeks.
2. Who knocks on the door and enters?
(b) Tick and Ellie.
(c) Rudy and three other young black men.
(d) The group of police officers.
3. Why does Cap'n Dan refuse to have the fight in any large cities?
(a) I can't stand "city folk."
(b) "Every nigger and his brother" will be there.
(c) Brady needs to be a "big fish in a small pond."
(d) Brady will get lost in the "big city."
4. At her home in Chicago, what is Mrs. Jefferson doing?
(a) Talking to Jack.
(b) Praying for Jack.
(c) Waiting for news from Jack's trial.
(d) Writing a letter to Jack.
5. How does the play begin?
(a) With a a meeting to discuss who Brady should fight next.
(b) With an argument over where Brady will go to train.
(c) With an argument over whether Brady should be the new Great White Hope.
(d) With an argument over whether Brady, the current white heavyweight boxing champion, should fight an up-and-coming black boxer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jack greet Brady?
2. What does Brady confess?
3. Who does Clara see out the window?
4. Who is the second witness, who makes racist remarks as she complains about the parties, noise, and destructive behavior that took place in the apartment that Jack and Ellie rented from her?
5. What does this man say about those black people who want success on white men's terms?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place when Jack begins to speak?
2. What is Cameron's response to these complaints?
3. What does Jack say, when he is finally allowed to speak?
4. What suggestion does Cap'n Dan give to convince Jack to take part in the fixed fight? How do the other men respond to this?
5. What speeches do both Brady and Jack make before the fight?
6. Why are Pop Weaver, Cap'n Dan and Fred watching a film of a fighter?
7. What does Jack ask of Ellie at the beginning of the scene? What is her response?
8. How does Goldie respond when he sees Ellie?
9. How does the reader know that Jack is worried about money?
10. Why does Jack call Ellie honey?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)