|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sir William respond to Coates' comment?
(a) One cannot be judged by one's color.
(b) Anyone living in England is free to change his means of earning a living if he wants.
(c) Many people cause problems and are not sent away.
(d) There are many poor people in England that are not exiled.
2. How do Cap'n Dan and Fred respond to Brady's confession?
(a) The taunt him.
(b) They say he will be just fine.
(c) They agree with him.
(d) They laugh at him.
3. What does this man urge black people to do?
(a) Move back to Africa.
(b) Be themselves.
(c) Create their own communities.
(d) Be like the white man.
4. How does the boxer fight that makes him seem like he does not fight "like a man?"
(a) He made cheap shots and cursed at the other boxer.
(b) He glared at the other boxer, he would not stop when the referee told him to, and he swung harder than he needed to.
(c) He cried the entire match and begged for it to be over.
(d) He smiled all during the match, taunted his opponent, and made "smart ass remarks to the crowd."
5. Why does Ellie say that she will go along with anything?
(a) If it will encourage others to forget about race.
(b) If it will make her famous.
(c) She is in the mood for some excitement.
(d) If it will make Jack more successful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack sing softly?
2. How does Jack greet Brady?
3. When Cap'n Dan and Fred discuss the terms of the fight, who is named the referee?
4. About what does the performer joke?
5. Why do the marchers leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the final decision on Dixon's plan?
2. How do Fred and Cap'n Dan react to Dixon's plan?
3. What racist comments does the performer make?
4. What does one reporter say about Brady being the White Hope?
5. Who waits with Mrs. Jefferson as she is waiting for news from Jack's trial?
6. How does this scene begin?
7. How do the men feel about the fighter? What is Dixon's plan?
8. Why are Pop Weaver, Cap'n Dan and Fred watching a film of a fighter?
9. Why does Ellie enter with Ragosy?
10. What does Jack ask of Ellie at the beginning of the scene? What is her response?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)