|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does a man in the crowd joke about Brady?
(a) He is crying all the way home.
(b) He should wear a diaper.
(c) His head being mounted on the wall inside.
(d) He will be eating out of a tube.
2. What does a group of rangers arrive and announce?
(a) No blacks are allowed in.
(b) No more seats are available in the arena.
(c) The fight has been cancelled.
(d) All weapons are to be confiscated.
3. Why does Cap'n Dan tell Brady the whole country is going to feel let down?
(a) If Brady continues to refuse to fight.
(b) If Brady continues to say he is afraid of this man.
(c) If Brady ends his boxing career.
(d) If Brady fights this man.
4. Where is a large crowd of black people gathered?
(a) Outside Jack's home, waiting for his return.
(b) Outside a church after a service.
(c) Outside of the arena after the fight.
(d) Outside a building that has the sign Cafe de Champion on it.
5. What does a witness named Bratby explain?
(a) How Jack stole from him.
(b) Charges and fines levied against Jack.
(c) complains about the parties, noise, and destructive behavior that took place in the apartment that Jack and Ellie rented.
(d) What happened when he refused to arrange a match for Jack.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tick tell Ellie to stick around?
2. About what does Mrs. Jefferson worry?
3. On whom does Clara angrily talk about wanting to take revenge?
4. What does an extremely well-spoken black man say about Jack's behavior?
5. Who knocks on the door and enters?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jack respond when Smitty asks him if he is being so stubborn because he wants to keep the champion title a little longer?
2. About what are Goldie and Tick concerned?
3. What takes place when the protesters arrive?
4. Who waits with Mrs. Jefferson as she is waiting for news from Jack's trial?
5. How does Clara act during the procession? Why does she act this way? How do others react to her behavior?
6. Describe Mrs. Jefferson's funeral procession.
7. How does the fight end?
8. Describe the confrontation between Cameron and Ellie.
9. What is taking place outside the arena in Reno?
10. What is Jack's plan?
This section contains 1,290 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)