|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Mrs. Jefferson worry?
(a) How horrible Jack's sentence will be.
(b) If Jack will run away.
(c) If they will kill Jack.
(d) How long it is taking to get news from the courthouse.
2. Why does Coates believe there is no reason for Jack to remain in England?
(a) Jack is causing too many problems.
(b) Jack is black.
(c) Jack is not making any money.
(d) Jack's stated intention in coming to England was to have a career as a boxer, and that is not likely to happen.
3. Does Cameron suggests that Ellie should be ashamed of what she is doing?
(b) A little.
4. About what is the performer's song?
(a) Whether Jack is a "coon."
(b) What it takes to be a "coon."
(c) He wishes he were a "coon."
(d) A "coon" wishing he was white.
5. Why does Cap'n Dan tell Brady the whole country is going to feel let down?
(a) If Brady continues to say he is afraid of this man.
(b) If Brady ends his boxing career.
(c) If Brady fights this man.
(d) If Brady continues to refuse to fight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack say he has not figured out?
2. When Cap'n Dan and Fred discuss the terms of the fight, who is named the referee?
3. How does the crowd react as Jack enters?
4. How does the crowd react as Brady arrives?
5. How do Cap'n Dan and Fred respond to Brady's confession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Cameron's response to these complaints?
2. How does the fight end?
3. What is Jack's sentence? How do Mrs. Jefferson and Clara react?
4. How does Mrs. Bachman end her monologue?
5. Who waits with Mrs. Jefferson as she is waiting for news from Jack's trial?
6. What is a complaint by one of the witnesses?
7. How do the men feel about the fighter? What is Dixon's plan?
8. Why do a group of rangers arrive?
9. What suggestion does Cap'n Dan give to convince Jack to take part in the fixed fight? How do the other men respond to this?
10. How is Brady convinced to fight this match?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)