|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the play begin?
(a) With an argument over whether Brady should be the new Great White Hope.
(b) With an argument over whether Brady, the current white heavyweight boxing champion, should fight an up-and-coming black boxer.
(c) With a a meeting to discuss who Brady should fight next.
(d) With an argument over where Brady will go to train.
2. Why was Ellie in Australia?
(a) To visit family.
(b) To meet her husband.
(c) To marry Jack.
(d) To get a divorce.
3. Why does Coates believe there is no reason for Jack to remain in England?
(a) Jack is not making any money.
(b) Jack's stated intention in coming to England was to have a career as a boxer, and that is not likely to happen.
(c) Jack is causing too many problems.
(d) Jack is black.
4. Who is the first of several witnesses to object to Jack's presence in England?
(a) Inspector Wainwright.
(c) Mrs. Kimball.
5. About what is the performer's song?
(a) A "coon" wishing he was white.
(b) What it takes to be a "coon."
(c) Whether Jack is a "coon."
(d) He wishes he were a "coon."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack sing softly?
2. At her home in Chicago, what is Mrs. Jefferson doing?
3. How do Cap'n Dan and Fred respond to Brady's confession?
4. Knowing Jack is involved with a white girl is going to do what?
5. How do the white people in the audience respond?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who waits with Mrs. Jefferson as she is waiting for news from Jack's trial?
2. Why does Jack call Ellie honey?
3. Why is a group of black people collecting signatures and money?
4. What takes place when a Polish boxer arrives in France?
5. What does Jack say, when he is finally allowed to speak?
6. Why does Jack say he does not need to warm up?
7. What is Jack's sentence? How do Mrs. Jefferson and Clara react?
8. How does Mrs. Bachman end her monologue?
9. How does Goldie respond when he sees Ellie?
10. What is a complaint by one of the witnesses?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)