|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does this speaker say that the audience can go ahead and hate her if they want?
(b) She hints at this.
2. Why does Cap'n Dan say Pop's suggestion will not work?
(a) Cap'n Dan wants to see him fight one last time.
(b) Jack will refuse to retire.
(c) They will not be able to get the belt back.
(d) A black man cannot retire undefeated.
3. Who is Ragosy?
(a) Ellie's new boyfriend.
(b) Jack's trainer.
(c) A theatrical producer.
(d) Ellie's father.
4. How does the audience respond after this scene?
(a) It becomes sad.
(b) It becomes subdued.
(c) It becomes bored.
(d) It becomes more restless and angry.
5. Why does Jack not want Ellie to go to her seat?
(a) He wants her to go home.
(b) He does not want her to see what is about to happen.
(c) He is afraid she will make him lose.
(d) He does not want to see her.
6. What happens as Jack/Tom sings a spiritual about the Spirits Bright?
(a) The audience laughs.
(b) The audience begins to moan and boo.
(c) The audience is shocked into silence.
(d) The audience cheers.
7. How does Jack respond when Ellie asks Jack what they are going to do?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He speaks sharply with her.
(c) He kisses her and says not to worry.
(d) He laughs at her fears.
8. Which of the men expresses doubts that the fighter is capable?
(b) Cap'n Dan.
(c) Pop Weaver.
9. Who enters on the opposite side of the stage, speaking about how everybody deep in their hearts is afraid of "blackness?"
(b) Mrs. Bachman.
10. What does Weaver ask Dixon about the deal?
(a) If they can forget about it.
(b) If it can be trusted.
(c) If it will take place.
(d) If it can be put in writing.
11. What does Smitty ask is the reason for Jack's behavior?
(a) Is it because he wants to keep the championship title a little longer.
(b) Is it because his mother is ill.
(c) Is it because he is unhappy in Europe.
(d) Is it because he no longer wants to be a boxer.
12. What does Clara begin shouting?
(a) She wants to marry Jack.
(b) Jack should not be imprisoned.
(c) Jack is to blame for Mrs. Jefferson's death.
(d) Ellie is to blame for Mrs. Jefferson's death.
13. Why are fight promoter Pop Weaver, Cap'n Dan, and Fred watching film of a fighter?
(a) They all hope Jack can learn how to beat this man.
(b) They all believe he could be the next White Hope.
(c) They all believe Jack could beat him.
(d) They want Brady to get some new moves.
14. Cap'n Dan says he doesn't like it. What does he argue?
(a) No one should have a belief system.
(b) The current situation is no different than any other. Belief systems should never be bent.
(c) s.The current situation might call for the bending of belief system.
(d) The current situation calls for bending belief systems a little.
15. How does Jack get the officers to leave him alone with his "suitable memento?"
(a) He makes a joke.
(b) He calls for the police.
(c) He pays them.
(d) He threatens them.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the German officers re-enter, what do they have with them?
2. Does Smitty say Ellie is not as strong as Jack?
3. What does Fred think about fixed fights?says the new White Hope can beat Jack fair and square, and he also says that he doesn't believe in fixed fights.
4. What does Ragosy try to convince Jack to do?
5. How far away does Cap'n Dan realize that is?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)