|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does this speaker feel the audience will truly understand what he or she is saying?
(a) When what is happening to him happens to them.
(b) When what is happening to the black people happens to them.
(c) When what they have done happens to them.
(d) When what is happening to her happens to them.
2. When does Pop speak to the audience?
(a) In a short aside.
(b) In a long soliloquy.
(c) In a short soliloquy.
(d) In a long aside.
3. What happens as Jack/Tom sings a spiritual about the Spirits Bright?
(a) The audience cheers.
(b) The audience laughs.
(c) The audience begins to moan and boo.
(d) The audience is shocked into silence.
4. What happens when Ragosy pulls Tick from the stage?
(a) Jack is left alone.
(b) Ellie is left alone.
(c) Jack and Ellie are left alone to go on.
(d) The crowd becomes angry.
5. Why does Cap'n Dan think Jack will take the deal?
(a) His mother is ill.
(b) He is bored.
(c) He wants the money.
(d) He will do whatever Cap'n Dan says.
6. Does Smitty say Ellie is not as strong as Jack?
(c) He hints at it.
(d) He says she may not be as strong as Jack.
7. What does Smitty ask is the reason for Jack's behavior?
(a) Is it because his mother is ill.
(b) Is it because he no longer wants to be a boxer.
(c) Is it because he is unhappy in Europe.
(d) Is it because he wants to keep the championship title a little longer.
8. Is Ragosy able to calm them down this last time?
(c) Yes, for a little while.
9. Where does Jack say he will warm up?
(a) In the hallway.
(b) In the ring.
(c) In the chair.
(d) In the locker room.
10. What does Ragosy try to convince Jack to do?
(a) Teach him how to box.
(b) Sign an autograph for his daughter.
(c) Join his show as a song-and-dance man.
(d) Fight one of his boxers.
11. After Ellie exits, what does Jack do?
(a) He goes to his room.
(b) He toasts Ragosy and they drink to happy days.
(c) He calls her name.
(d) He goes after her.
12. What does the Promoter remind Jack to do?
(a) Play fair.
(d) Fight hard.
13. Why does Jack not want Ellie to go to her seat?
(a) He does not want her to see what is about to happen.
(b) He wants her to go home.
(c) He does not want to see her.
(d) He is afraid she will make him lose.
14. What does Clara begin shouting?
(a) Jack is to blame for Mrs. Jefferson's death.
(b) Jack should not be imprisoned.
(c) Ellie is to blame for Mrs. Jefferson's death.
(d) She wants to marry Jack.
15. What does Jack angrily ask Tick to do?
(a) Find him an aspirin.
(b) Find him a job.
(c) Get him some water.
(d) Get him a sandwich.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ellie respond when Jack asks if there are any new cables or money coming in.
2. Where does Jack say he is going?
3. Why does Smitty ask Ellie whether they are considering settling in France?
4. What do the German officers point out about the "suitable memento?"
5. What is Goldie acting as?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)