|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack say after spitting?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is thirsty.
(c) He does not feel well.
(d) He has got a bad taste in his mouth.
2. Does Jack want a chance to fight the new White Hope?
(c) Yes, but only at first.
3. When does this speaker feel the audience will truly understand what he or she is saying?
(a) When what they have done happens to them.
(b) When what is happening to him happens to them.
(c) When what is happening to her happens to them.
(d) When what is happening to the black people happens to them.
4. How does this speaker feel about what he or she is saying?
(a) She feels strongly about what she says and is glad it is this way.
(b) He is glad he has finally said this.
(c) She hates what she is saying and wishes it were not this way.
(d) He hates what he is saying and wishes it were not this way.
5. How does Ellie respond when Jack asks if there are any new cables or money coming in.
(a) Yes, just cables.
(d) Yes, a few.
6. Where does Jack say he will warm up?
(a) In the locker room.
(b) In the hallway.
(c) In the chair.
(d) In the ring.
7. Why does Cap'n Dan say Pop's suggestion will not work?
(a) A black man cannot retire undefeated.
(b) They will not be able to get the belt back.
(c) Cap'n Dan wants to see him fight one last time.
(d) Jack will refuse to retire.
8. Why will Tick not take Ellie for a walk?
(a) He is not walking around alone with a white woman in that part of the world.
(b) He does not like Ellie.
(c) He is afraid to go outside without Jack.
(d) He does not trust Ellie.
9. What does Goldie say about the crowd at the fight?
(a) It is almost a full house.
(b) It is half full.
(c) There is hardly anyone there.
(d) It is a full house.
10. Why does Jack ask Ellie why she did not send Ragosy to Goldie?
(a) Goldie would have like to meet Ragosy.
(b) Goldie would have gotten rid of him.
(c) Ragosy would enjoy spending time with Goldie.
(d) Ragosy would be paid by Goldie.
11. What does Dixon say about the black population at large?
(a) It is close to becoming economically and socially powerful.
(b) It is somewhat powerful.
(c) It is dwindling and becoming weakened.
(d) It is becoming aggressive.
12. What enters?
(a) The funeral procession for Mrs. Jefferson.
(b) The wedding procession for Mrs. Jefferson.
(c) The wedding procession for Jack and Ellie.
(d) A line of people involved in Jack's court case.
13. What does Ragosy try to convince Jack to do?
(a) Fight one of his boxers.
(b) Join his show as a song-and-dance man.
(c) Sign an autograph for his daughter.
(d) Teach him how to box.
14. What does Smitty do when Ellie tells him to leave?
(a) He glares at her.
(b) He taunts her.
(c) He leaves.
(d) He pushes to find out whether it is true.
15. When the German officers re-enter, what do they have with them?
(a) An old man.
(b) A young black German man.
(c) A quiet, young student.
(d) A beautiful woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jack tell Ellie to take off her sunglasses?
2. Does Pop think the fight will happen right away?
3. What does Jack say to hist trainer, when he begins chatting about the new White Hope?
4. Why are fight promoter Pop Weaver, Cap'n Dan, and Fred watching film of a fighter?
5. What does this speaker discuss?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)