|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dixon suggest if Jack were to come back to America, take on this fighter, and deliberately lose?
(a) The black population would riot.
(b) The black population would grow even stronger.
(c) There might be the possibility that his criminal sentence might be reduced and the threat of increased black power and frustration would be reduced.
(d) He would never fight again.
2. What does Jack angrily ask Tick to do?
(a) Get him some water.
(b) Find him an aspirin.
(c) Get him a sandwich.
(d) Find him a job.
3. What does Jack say to hist trainer, when he begins chatting about the new White Hope?
(a) He says he can beat the new White Hope.
(b) He tells him to be quiet.
(c) He asks for more information about the new White Hope.
(d) He tells him to leave him alone.
4. How does Jack respond to Smitty?
(a) Jack tells him to write his mother a reply.
(b) Jack tells him thank you.
(c) Jack tells him to get him passage on the next boat to the United States.
(d) Jack tells him to go away.
5. How does Jack respond to Tick's fussing about keeping him calm?
(a) He becomes increasingly impatient.
(b) He is amused by him.
(c) He laughs at him.
(d) He ignores him.
6. What does a woman in the crowd do to Clara?
(a) She slaps her.
(b) She yells at her.
(c) She glares at her.
(d) She hugs her.
7. Does Smitty say Ellie is not as strong as Jack?
(c) He says she may not be as strong as Jack.
(d) He hints at it.
8. Where does this scene take place?
(a) In a restaurant.
(b) On the stage of Ragosy's cabaret.
(c) At a hotel.
(d) Outside the arena.
9. How does the audience respond after this scene?
(a) It becomes sad.
(b) It becomes bored.
(c) It becomes subdued.
(d) It becomes more restless and angry.
10. What does Cap'n Dan say can be cut off from Jack?
(b) Any source of money.
(c) Any connection.
(d) His cable.
11. What do the German officers point out about the "suitable memento?"
(a) From where this trophy comes.
(b) How much money is there.
(c) Scars on his face that are tribal markings.
(d) How beautiful she is.
12. What does Smitty come in and give Jack?
(a) A letter.
(b) A phone call.
(c) A telegram.
(d) An e-mail.
13. What does Smitty ask is the reason for Jack's behavior?
(a) Is it because he is unhappy in Europe.
(b) Is it because his mother is ill.
(c) Is it because he no longer wants to be a boxer.
(d) Is it because he wants to keep the championship title a little longer.
14. Why does Jack ask Ellie why she did not send Ragosy to Goldie?
(a) Ragosy would enjoy spending time with Goldie.
(b) Ragosy would be paid by Goldie.
(c) Goldie would have gotten rid of him.
(d) Goldie would have like to meet Ragosy.
15. Why does Jack not want Ellie to go to her seat?
(a) He does not want her to see what is about to happen.
(b) He wants her to go home.
(c) He is afraid she will make him lose.
(d) He does not want to see her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scene do they play?
2. Which of the men expresses doubts that the fighter is capable?
3. Who arrives at an airport in France where he is met by a group of reporters who ask him, in French, how he feels about his impending fight with Jack?
4. Why does Cap'n Dan think Jack will take the deal?
5. Does Fred think the White Hope would go for a fixed fight?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)