|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fred say is the only one sure way the White Hope can win?
(a) He must be replaced with a better boxer.
(b) They must wait long enough for Jack's legs to weaken.
(c) He must train harder.
(d) Jack must throw the match.
2. What does Cap'n Dan say can be cut off from Jack?
(a) Any source of money.
(c) His cable.
(d) Any connection.
3. What does the Promoter remind Jack to do?
(a) Play fair.
(d) Fight hard.
4. When does Pop speak to the audience?
(a) In a short soliloquy.
(b) In a long soliloquy.
(c) In a short aside.
(d) In a long aside.
5. How does Ellie respond when Jack asks if there are any new cables or money coming in.
(a) Yes, just cables.
(d) Yes, a few.
6. What does Smitty do when Ellie tells him to leave?
(a) He leaves.
(b) He pushes to find out whether it is true.
(c) He glares at her.
(d) He taunts her.
7. What does Smitty come in and give Jack?
(a) A letter.
(b) A phone call.
(c) An e-mail.
(d) A telegram.
8. What does the "suitable memento" comment about making people laugh?
(a) It is a good skill to have.
(b) It is annoying.
(c) It is dangerous.
(d) It is a nuisance.
9. What scene do they play?
(a) Eva's death scene.
(b) The marriage between Tom and Eva.
(c) Tom's death scene.
(d) The meeting of Tom and Eva.
10. What enters?
(a) A line of people involved in Jack's court case.
(b) The wedding procession for Mrs. Jefferson.
(c) The funeral procession for Mrs. Jefferson.
(d) The wedding procession for Jack and Ellie.
11. Does Jack want a chance to fight the new White Hope?
(d) Yes, but only at first.
12. Where does this scene take place?
(a) On the stage of Ragosy's cabaret.
(b) At a hotel.
(c) In a restaurant.
(d) Outside the arena.
13. What happens as Clara starts to cry?
(a) Goldie hands her a handkerchief.
(b) Photographers try to take her picture.
(c) She runs out of the service.
(d) Mrs. Jefferson comforts her.
14. What does this speaker discuss?
(a) The narrow-mindedness of white people.
(b) All the dark, evil, and frightening things the word "black" invokes.
(c) The struggles of black people.
(d) All that has happened to black people.
15. How does this speaker feel about what he or she is saying?
(a) She feels strongly about what she says and is glad it is this way.
(b) He is glad he has finally said this.
(c) He hates what he is saying and wishes it were not this way.
(d) She hates what she is saying and wishes it were not this way.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is Ragosy able to calm them down this last time?
2. What does Jack angrily ask Tick to do?
3. What is Goldie acting as?
4. What does Pop suggest they try to convince Jack to do?
5. Why does Smitty ask Ellie whether they are considering settling in France?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)