|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Smitty say Jack will settle down?
(a) Once Ellie leaves him.
(b) Once Ellie has a baby.
(c) Once he stops boxing.
(d) Once he and Ellie find a place to call home.
2. What does Goldie say about the crowd at the fight?
(a) There is hardly anyone there.
(b) It is almost a full house.
(c) It is a full house.
(d) It is half full.
3. Does Pop think the fight will happen right away?
(a) More than likely.
(b) Probably not.
4. Who is Ragosy?
(a) A theatrical producer.
(b) Ellie's father.
(c) Ellie's new boyfriend.
(d) Jack's trainer.
5. What does a woman in the crowd do to Clara?
(a) She yells at her.
(b) She slaps her.
(c) She hugs her.
(d) She glares at her.
6. What happens as Clara starts to cry?
(a) She runs out of the service.
(b) Photographers try to take her picture.
(c) Goldie hands her a handkerchief.
(d) Mrs. Jefferson comforts her.
7. After Ellie exits, what does Jack do?
(a) He goes after her.
(b) He calls her name.
(c) He goes to his room.
(d) He toasts Ragosy and they drink to happy days.
8. What does Jack ask about selling?
(a) His championship belt.
(b) His home.
(c) His car.
(d) His gloves.
9. What does Clara begin shouting?
(a) Jack should not be imprisoned.
(b) Jack is to blame for Mrs. Jefferson's death.
(c) She wants to marry Jack.
(d) Ellie is to blame for Mrs. Jefferson's death.
10. What does Jack say is the only thing he has left?
(a) His mother.
(b) The match.
11. Why does Jack not want Ellie to go to her seat?
(a) He wants her to go home.
(b) He does not want her to see what is about to happen.
(c) He is afraid she will make him lose.
(d) He does not want to see her.
12. What does Weaver ask Dixon about the deal?
(a) If they can forget about it.
(b) If it can be put in writing.
(c) If it will take place.
(d) If it can be trusted.
13. Why are fight promoter Pop Weaver, Cap'n Dan, and Fred watching film of a fighter?
(a) They all believe he could be the next White Hope.
(b) They all believe Jack could beat him.
(c) They want Brady to get some new moves.
(d) They all hope Jack can learn how to beat this man.
14. How does Jack respond to Smitty?
(a) Jack tells him to get him passage on the next boat to the United States.
(b) Jack tells him to go away.
(c) Jack tells him thank you.
(d) Jack tells him to write his mother a reply.
15. What enters?
(a) The funeral procession for Mrs. Jefferson.
(b) A line of people involved in Jack's court case.
(c) The wedding procession for Mrs. Jefferson.
(d) The wedding procession for Jack and Ellie.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Pop speak to the audience?
2. Does Fred think the White Hope would go for a fixed fight?
3. What happens as Jack/Tom sings a spiritual about the Spirits Bright?
4. What does the Promoter remind Jack to do?
5. What does Jack say after spitting?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)