|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what do the Germans go out in search?
(a) A pen for Jack to sign his autograph.
(b) Money for Jack.
(c) A suitable memento for Jack.
(d) A meal for Jack.
2. What does Fred say is the only one sure way the White Hope can win?
(a) They must wait long enough for Jack's legs to weaken.
(b) He must be replaced with a better boxer.
(c) He must train harder.
(d) Jack must throw the match.
3. What does Jack believe took much out of his mother?
(a) His father.
(b) Her job.
(c) Her life.
(d) His life.
4. What does Pop suggest they try to convince Jack to do?
(c) Stay in France.
(d) Stay in Mexico.
5. What news does Smitty give Jack?
(a) His mother is coming for a visit.
(b) His mother is ill.
(c) His mother no longer wants to see him.
(d) His mother is getting remarried.
6. What does Ragosy try to convince Jack to do?
(a) Teach him how to box.
(b) Fight one of his boxers.
(c) Join his show as a song-and-dance man.
(d) Sign an autograph for his daughter.
7. What does Jack angrily do to himself?
(a) Strikes himself on the forehead.
(b) Punches himself in the stomach.
(c) Runs his head into a wall.
(d) Pinches himself.
8. When does Pop speak to the audience?
(a) In a long aside.
(b) In a short aside.
(c) In a long soliloquy.
(d) In a short soliloquy.
9. How far away does Cap'n Dan realize that is?
(a) A year.
(b) A decade.
(c) A couple of months.
(d) A couple of years.
10. Where does Jack say he is going?
(a) To Mexico.
(b) To Spain.
(c) To England.
(d) To France.
11. Where does this scene take place?
(a) On the stage of Ragosy's cabaret.
(b) At a hotel.
(c) Outside the arena.
(d) In a restaurant.
12. Why does Jack not want Ellie to go to her seat?
(a) He does not want her to see what is about to happen.
(b) He wants her to go home.
(c) He is afraid she will make him lose.
(d) He does not want to see her.
13. How does Jack respond to Tick's fussing about keeping him calm?
(a) He laughs at him.
(b) He ignores him.
(c) He becomes increasingly impatient.
(d) He is amused by him.
14. Which of the men expresses doubts that the fighter is capable?
(b) Pop Weaver.
(d) Cap'n Dan.
15. What does Jack angrily ask Tick to do?
(a) Get him some water.
(b) Find him an aspirin.
(c) Get him a sandwich.
(d) Find him a job.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clara begin shouting?
2. Cap'n Dan says he doesn't like it. What does he argue?
3. What does Jack say to hist trainer, when he begins chatting about the new White Hope?
4. After Ellie exits, what does Jack do?
5. How does this speaker feel about what he or she is saying?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)