|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are fight promoter Pop Weaver, Cap'n Dan, and Fred watching film of a fighter?
(a) They all hope Jack can learn how to beat this man.
(b) They all believe he could be the next White Hope.
(c) They all believe Jack could beat him.
(d) They want Brady to get some new moves.
2. How does Jack respond when Ellie asks Jack what they are going to do?
(a) He speaks sharply with her.
(b) He ignores her.
(c) He kisses her and says not to worry.
(d) He laughs at her fears.
3. What scene do they play?
(a) The marriage between Tom and Eva.
(b) Tom's death scene.
(c) Eva's death scene.
(d) The meeting of Tom and Eva.
4. Who arrives at an airport in France where he is met by a group of reporters who ask him, in French, how he feels about his impending fight with Jack?
(a) A French boxer.
(b) A Polish boxer.
(c) A German boxer.
(d) An American boxer.
5. What happens when Ragosy pulls Tick from the stage?
(a) Jack is left alone.
(b) Ellie is left alone.
(c) Jack and Ellie are left alone to go on.
(d) The crowd becomes angry.
6. When does this speaker feel the audience will truly understand what he or she is saying?
(a) When what is happening to him happens to them.
(b) When what is happening to the black people happens to them.
(c) When what they have done happens to them.
(d) When what is happening to her happens to them.
7. When the German officers re-enter, what do they have with them?
(a) A young black German man.
(b) A quiet, young student.
(c) An old man.
(d) A beautiful woman.
8. How does Jack respond to Smitty?
(a) Jack tells him to get him passage on the next boat to the United States.
(b) Jack tells him to go away.
(c) Jack tells him to write his mother a reply.
(d) Jack tells him thank you.
9. What does the Promoter remind Jack to do?
(a) Fight hard.
(b) Play fair.
10. When does Smitty say Jack will settle down?
(a) Once Ellie leaves him.
(b) Once Ellie has a baby.
(c) Once he and Ellie find a place to call home.
(d) Once he stops boxing.
11. Where does Jack say he will warm up?
(a) In the locker room.
(b) In the chair.
(c) In the ring.
(d) In the hallway.
12. What does Jack say after spitting?
(a) He does not feel well.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He has got a bad taste in his mouth.
(d) He is thirsty.
13. Pop knows that most people seem indignant about this kind of plotting, but then suggests they reconsider their indignation when?
(a) They lose their jobs.
(b) They are in need of money.
(c) They are out walking alone one night.
(d) It suits them.
14. Of what do the Germans go out in search?
(a) A meal for Jack.
(b) A suitable memento for Jack.
(c) A pen for Jack to sign his autograph.
(d) Money for Jack.
15. What does Ellie do after this final scene?
(a) She runs from the stage.
(b) She begins to cry.
(c) She bows to the audience.
(d) She kisses Jack.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens as Jack/Tom sings a spiritual about the Spirits Bright?
2. Why does Jack tell Ellie to take off her sunglasses?
3. What does Jack angrily ask Tick to do?
4. What does Jack angrily do to himself?
5. What does Smitty do when Ellie tells him to leave?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)