|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Smitty say Ellie is not as strong as Jack?
(b) He hints at it.
(d) He says she may not be as strong as Jack.
2. What does Clara begin shouting?
(a) Jack should not be imprisoned.
(b) She wants to marry Jack.
(c) Ellie is to blame for Mrs. Jefferson's death.
(d) Jack is to blame for Mrs. Jefferson's death.
3. Does Fred think the White Hope would go for a fixed fight?
(a) Just this one time.
4. Why will Tick not take Ellie for a walk?
(a) He is not walking around alone with a white woman in that part of the world.
(b) He is afraid to go outside without Jack.
(c) He does not like Ellie.
(d) He does not trust Ellie.
5. Does Jack want a chance to fight the new White Hope?
(d) Yes, but only at first.
6. What happens when Ragosy pulls Tick from the stage?
(a) Jack and Ellie are left alone to go on.
(b) Jack is left alone.
(c) Ellie is left alone.
(d) The crowd becomes angry.
7. What does Jack crumple up?
(a) The telegram.
(b) The letter.
(c) His paycheck.
(d) The e-mail.
8. What does Smitty ask is the reason for Jack's behavior?
(a) Is it because he wants to keep the championship title a little longer.
(b) Is it because he no longer wants to be a boxer.
(c) Is it because he is unhappy in Europe.
(d) Is it because his mother is ill.
9. How does Jack get the officers to leave him alone with his "suitable memento?"
(a) He pays them.
(b) He calls for the police.
(c) He threatens them.
(d) He makes a joke.
10. How does Jack respond when Ellie asks Jack what they are going to do?
(a) He laughs at her fears.
(b) He kisses her and says not to worry.
(c) He ignores her.
(d) He speaks sharply with her.
11. In what does the Preacher lead the congregation?
(a) Passionate prayers for Mrs. Jefferson's eternal peace.
(b) A prayer for those who cannot be there to witness this service.
(c) The Psalmody.
(d) A hymn to the new couple.
12. Which of the men expresses doubts that the fighter is capable?
(a) Pop Weaver.
(c) Cap'n Dan.
13. Why does Jack not want Ellie to go to her seat?
(a) He does not want to see her.
(b) He does not want her to see what is about to happen.
(c) He is afraid she will make him lose.
(d) He wants her to go home.
14. What does Ragosy try to convince Jack to do?
(a) Fight one of his boxers.
(b) Join his show as a song-and-dance man.
(c) Sign an autograph for his daughter.
(d) Teach him how to box.
15. Why are fight promoter Pop Weaver, Cap'n Dan, and Fred watching film of a fighter?
(a) They all believe Jack could beat him.
(b) They all hope Jack can learn how to beat this man.
(c) They want Brady to get some new moves.
(d) They all believe he could be the next White Hope.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Ellie exits, what does Jack do?
2. How does this speaker feel about what he or she is saying?
3. What is Goldie acting as?
4. What does Jack say to hist trainer, when he begins chatting about the new White Hope?
5. What does this speaker discuss?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)