|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the "suitable memento" comment about making people laugh?
(a) It is dangerous.
(b) It is annoying.
(c) It is a nuisance.
(d) It is a good skill to have.
2. Does this speaker say that the audience can go ahead and hate her if they want?
(d) She hints at this.
3. Where does this scene take place?
(a) At a hotel.
(b) In a restaurant.
(c) On the stage of Ragosy's cabaret.
(d) Outside the arena.
4. What does Goldie say about the crowd at the fight?
(a) It is almost a full house.
(b) It is half full.
(c) There is hardly anyone there.
(d) It is a full house.
5. In what does the Preacher lead the congregation?
(a) A prayer for those who cannot be there to witness this service.
(b) Passionate prayers for Mrs. Jefferson's eternal peace.
(c) The Psalmody.
(d) A hymn to the new couple.
6. What does Dixon suggest if Jack were to come back to America, take on this fighter, and deliberately lose?
(a) The black population would grow even stronger.
(b) The black population would riot.
(c) There might be the possibility that his criminal sentence might be reduced and the threat of increased black power and frustration would be reduced.
(d) He would never fight again.
7. What does Pop suggest they try to convince Jack to do?
(a) Stay in France.
(d) Stay in Mexico.
8. What does Smitty come in and give Jack?
(a) A letter.
(b) A telegram.
(c) An e-mail.
(d) A phone call.
9. What does Jack angrily do to himself?
(a) Pinches himself.
(b) Punches himself in the stomach.
(c) Strikes himself on the forehead.
(d) Runs his head into a wall.
10. Who enters on the opposite side of the stage, speaking about how everybody deep in their hearts is afraid of "blackness?"
(b) Mrs. Bachman.
11. What does Jack say is the only thing he has left?
(b) His mother.
(c) The match.
12. Pop knows that most people seem indignant about this kind of plotting, but then suggests they reconsider their indignation when?
(a) It suits them.
(b) They are out walking alone one night.
(c) They lose their jobs.
(d) They are in need of money.
13. Why does Cap'n Dan think Jack will take the deal?
(a) He will do whatever Cap'n Dan says.
(b) His mother is ill.
(c) He wants the money.
(d) He is bored.
14. Why does Cap'n Dan say Pop's suggestion will not work?
(a) Jack will refuse to retire.
(b) Cap'n Dan wants to see him fight one last time.
(c) A black man cannot retire undefeated.
(d) They will not be able to get the belt back.
15. How far away does Cap'n Dan realize that is?
(a) A decade.
(b) A couple of months.
(c) A year.
(d) A couple of years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jack ask Ellie why she did not send Ragosy to Goldie?
2. What enters?
3. What is Goldie acting as?
4. What does Jack say after spitting?
5. How does Jack respond to Tick's fussing about keeping him calm?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)