|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Smitty come in and give Jack?
(a) A phone call.
(b) An e-mail.
(c) A telegram.
(d) A letter.
2. How does Ellie respond when Jack asks if there are any new cables or money coming in.
(a) Yes, just cables.
(b) Yes, a few.
3. Cap'n Dan says he doesn't like it. What does he argue?
(a) The current situation is no different than any other. Belief systems should never be bent.
(b) s.The current situation might call for the bending of belief system.
(c) No one should have a belief system.
(d) The current situation calls for bending belief systems a little.
4. What does Ellie do after this final scene?
(a) She runs from the stage.
(b) She begins to cry.
(c) She bows to the audience.
(d) She kisses Jack.
5. What enters?
(a) The wedding procession for Mrs. Jefferson.
(b) The funeral procession for Mrs. Jefferson.
(c) A line of people involved in Jack's court case.
(d) The wedding procession for Jack and Ellie.
6. Who enters on the opposite side of the stage, speaking about how everybody deep in their hearts is afraid of "blackness?"
(a) Mrs. Bachman.
7. When does Pop speak to the audience?
(a) In a short soliloquy.
(b) In a long aside.
(c) In a short aside.
(d) In a long soliloquy.
8. Why does Cap'n Dan say Pop's suggestion will not work?
(a) Cap'n Dan wants to see him fight one last time.
(b) They will not be able to get the belt back.
(c) A black man cannot retire undefeated.
(d) Jack will refuse to retire.
9. What does Dixon suggest if Jack were to come back to America, take on this fighter, and deliberately lose?
(a) He would never fight again.
(b) There might be the possibility that his criminal sentence might be reduced and the threat of increased black power and frustration would be reduced.
(c) The black population would grow even stronger.
(d) The black population would riot.
10. Does the "suitable memento" recognize Jack?
(a) At first.
11. When does this speaker feel the audience will truly understand what he or she is saying?
(a) When what they have done happens to them.
(b) When what is happening to the black people happens to them.
(c) When what is happening to her happens to them.
(d) When what is happening to him happens to them.
12. What does Clara begin shouting?
(a) Ellie is to blame for Mrs. Jefferson's death.
(b) She wants to marry Jack.
(c) Jack is to blame for Mrs. Jefferson's death.
(d) Jack should not be imprisoned.
13. Pop knows that most people seem indignant about this kind of plotting, but then suggests they reconsider their indignation when?
(a) They are in need of money.
(b) It suits them.
(c) They are out walking alone one night.
(d) They lose their jobs.
14. How does Jack respond when Ellie asks Jack what they are going to do?
(a) He kisses her and says not to worry.
(b) He laughs at her fears.
(c) He ignores her.
(d) He speaks sharply with her.
15. Does this speaker say that the audience can go ahead and hate her if they want?
(c) She hints at this.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Smitty do when Ellie tells him to leave?
2. Which of the men expresses doubts that the fighter is capable?
3. What does Pop suggest they try to convince Jack to do?
4. Why does Jack ask Ellie why she did not send Ragosy to Goldie?
5. What does Cap'n Dan say can be cut off from Jack?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)