|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arrives at an airport in France where he is met by a group of reporters who ask him, in French, how he feels about his impending fight with Jack?
(a) An American boxer.
(b) A German boxer.
(c) A French boxer.
(d) A Polish boxer.
2. When does Smitty say Jack will settle down?
(a) Once Ellie leaves him.
(b) Once he and Ellie find a place to call home.
(c) Once Ellie has a baby.
(d) Once he stops boxing.
3. What does Fred think about fixed fights?says the new White Hope can beat Jack fair and square, and he also says that he doesn't believe in fixed fights.
(a) He does not believe in them.
(b) He is not sure what he thinks about them.
(c) He sees nothing wrong with them.
(d) He thinks it is okay in this situation.
4. What does Jack say after spitting?
(a) He is thirsty.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He has got a bad taste in his mouth.
(d) He does not feel well.
5. Does the "suitable memento" recognize Jack?
(c) At first.
6. When does this speaker feel the audience will truly understand what he or she is saying?
(a) When what is happening to her happens to them.
(b) When what they have done happens to them.
(c) When what is happening to the black people happens to them.
(d) When what is happening to him happens to them.
7. Is Ragosy able to calm them down this last time?
(a) Yes, for a little while.
8. Who enters on the opposite side of the stage, speaking about how everybody deep in their hearts is afraid of "blackness?"
(d) Mrs. Bachman.
9. After Ellie exits, what does Jack do?
(a) He calls her name.
(b) He goes to his room.
(c) He toasts Ragosy and they drink to happy days.
(d) He goes after her.
10. What does Dixon say about the black population at large?
(a) It is becoming aggressive.
(b) It is somewhat powerful.
(c) It is dwindling and becoming weakened.
(d) It is close to becoming economically and socially powerful.
11. What does Smitty ask is the reason for Jack's behavior?
(a) Is it because he no longer wants to be a boxer.
(b) Is it because he wants to keep the championship title a little longer.
(c) Is it because his mother is ill.
(d) Is it because he is unhappy in Europe.
12. What scene do they play?
(a) The marriage between Tom and Eva.
(b) Tom's death scene.
(c) The meeting of Tom and Eva.
(d) Eva's death scene.
13. Why does Smitty ask Ellie whether they are considering settling in France?
(a) Since it seems that the French like Jack.
(b) Since it seems that Ellie likes France.
(c) Since it seems that Jack likes France.
(d) Since it seems they cannot return to the United States.
14. What does Goldie say about the crowd at the fight?
(a) It is half full.
(b) There is hardly anyone there.
(c) It is almost a full house.
(d) It is a full house.
15. How does Jack respond to Smitty?
(a) Jack tells him to get him passage on the next boat to the United States.
(b) Jack tells him thank you.
(c) Jack tells him to write his mother a reply.
(d) Jack tells him to go away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack angrily do to himself?
2. Why will Tick not take Ellie for a walk?
3. What does Dixon suggest if Jack were to come back to America, take on this fighter, and deliberately lose?
4. How does the audience respond after this scene?
5. What does Jack ask about selling?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)