|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack crumple up?
(a) His paycheck.
(b) The e-mail.
(c) The telegram.
(d) The letter.
2. What does Smitty come in and give Jack?
(a) An e-mail.
(b) A letter.
(c) A telegram.
(d) A phone call.
3. What happens when Ragosy pulls Tick from the stage?
(a) Ellie is left alone.
(b) Jack is left alone.
(c) The crowd becomes angry.
(d) Jack and Ellie are left alone to go on.
4. What does Jack believe took much out of his mother?
(a) Her job.
(b) His father.
(c) His life.
(d) Her life.
5. How does this speaker feel about what he or she is saying?
(a) She feels strongly about what she says and is glad it is this way.
(b) He is glad he has finally said this.
(c) She hates what she is saying and wishes it were not this way.
(d) He hates what he is saying and wishes it were not this way.
6. What does a woman in the crowd do to Clara?
(a) She hugs her.
(b) She slaps her.
(c) She glares at her.
(d) She yells at her.
7. What does Jack say is the only thing he has left?
(a) His mother.
(c) The match.
8. What does this speaker discuss?
(a) The struggles of black people.
(b) All the dark, evil, and frightening things the word "black" invokes.
(c) All that has happened to black people.
(d) The narrow-mindedness of white people.
9. Who is coaching Jack?
(b) Cap'n Dan.
10. What happens as Jack/Tom sings a spiritual about the Spirits Bright?
(a) The audience begins to moan and boo.
(b) The audience laughs.
(c) The audience is shocked into silence.
(d) The audience cheers.
11. How does Jack respond to Smitty?
(a) Jack tells him to get him passage on the next boat to the United States.
(b) Jack tells him to go away.
(c) Jack tells him to write his mother a reply.
(d) Jack tells him thank you.
12. How does the audience respond after this scene?
(a) It becomes subdued.
(b) It becomes bored.
(c) It becomes sad.
(d) It becomes more restless and angry.
13. Does Pop think the fight will happen right away?
(a) More than likely.
(b) Probably not.
14. Where does this scene take place?
(a) On the stage of Ragosy's cabaret.
(b) Outside the arena.
(c) At a hotel.
(d) In a restaurant.
15. Where are Jack and Ellie waiting?
(a) In the gym.
(b) At the arena.
(c) On a train platform.
(d) At the hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the men expresses doubts that the fighter is capable?
2. Why does Cap'n Dan say Pop's suggestion will not work?
3. What news does Smitty give Jack?
4. How does Jack react when Ellie tells him to stop dancing and singing?
5. What does Jack angrily do to himself?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)