|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pop suggest they try to convince Jack to do?
(a) Stay in Mexico.
(c) Stay in France.
2. How does this speaker feel about what he or she is saying?
(a) He hates what he is saying and wishes it were not this way.
(b) He is glad he has finally said this.
(c) She feels strongly about what she says and is glad it is this way.
(d) She hates what she is saying and wishes it were not this way.
3. Does this speaker say that the audience can go ahead and hate her if they want?
(b) She hints at this.
4. What does Jack ask about selling?
(a) His home.
(b) His car.
(c) His gloves.
(d) His championship belt.
5. Where does this scene take place?
(a) On the stage of Ragosy's cabaret.
(b) In a restaurant.
(c) Outside the arena.
(d) At a hotel.
6. What does Jack say after spitting?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He has got a bad taste in his mouth.
(c) He does not feel well.
(d) He is thirsty.
7. How does Jack respond to Smitty?
(a) Jack tells him to write his mother a reply.
(b) Jack tells him to get him passage on the next boat to the United States.
(c) Jack tells him thank you.
(d) Jack tells him to go away.
8. Who enters on the opposite side of the stage, speaking about how everybody deep in their hearts is afraid of "blackness?"
(b) Mrs. Bachman.
9. How far away does Cap'n Dan realize that is?
(a) A couple of months.
(b) A couple of years.
(c) A decade.
(d) A year.
10. What does Dixon say about the black population at large?
(a) It is dwindling and becoming weakened.
(b) It is close to becoming economically and socially powerful.
(c) It is becoming aggressive.
(d) It is somewhat powerful.
11. Pop knows that most people seem indignant about this kind of plotting, but then suggests they reconsider their indignation when?
(a) They are out walking alone one night.
(b) They are in need of money.
(c) They lose their jobs.
(d) It suits them.
12. Why are fight promoter Pop Weaver, Cap'n Dan, and Fred watching film of a fighter?
(a) They all believe he could be the next White Hope.
(b) They all hope Jack can learn how to beat this man.
(c) They all believe Jack could beat him.
(d) They want Brady to get some new moves.
13. What is Goldie acting as?
(a) Best Man.
(c) A pallbearer.
(d) A groomsman.
14. What news does Smitty give Jack?
(a) His mother is getting remarried.
(b) His mother no longer wants to see him.
(c) His mother is coming for a visit.
(d) His mother is ill.
15. What happens when Ragosy pulls Tick from the stage?
(a) Jack is left alone.
(b) Jack and Ellie are left alone to go on.
(c) Ellie is left alone.
(d) The crowd becomes angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Smitty ask Ellie whether they are considering settling in France?
2. How does Jack respond to Tick's fussing about keeping him calm?
3. Why does Cap'n Dan say Pop's suggestion will not work?
4. Cap'n Dan says he doesn't like it. What does he argue?
5. What does the "suitable memento" comment about making people laugh?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)