|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Fred think the White Hope would go for a fixed fight?
(c) Just this one time.
2. What does Ellie do after this final scene?
(a) She runs from the stage.
(b) She begins to cry.
(c) She kisses Jack.
(d) She bows to the audience.
3. Who enters on the opposite side of the stage, speaking about how everybody deep in their hearts is afraid of "blackness?"
(d) Mrs. Bachman.
4. When does this speaker feel the audience will truly understand what he or she is saying?
(a) When what they have done happens to them.
(b) When what is happening to him happens to them.
(c) When what is happening to her happens to them.
(d) When what is happening to the black people happens to them.
5. What does Jack angrily ask Tick to do?
(a) Find him a job.
(b) Find him an aspirin.
(c) Get him some water.
(d) Get him a sandwich.
6. What happens as Clara starts to cry?
(a) She runs out of the service.
(b) Mrs. Jefferson comforts her.
(c) Photographers try to take her picture.
(d) Goldie hands her a handkerchief.
7. Why does Cap'n Dan say Pop's suggestion will not work?
(a) They will not be able to get the belt back.
(b) Cap'n Dan wants to see him fight one last time.
(c) A black man cannot retire undefeated.
(d) Jack will refuse to retire.
8. Why are fight promoter Pop Weaver, Cap'n Dan, and Fred watching film of a fighter?
(a) They want Brady to get some new moves.
(b) They all believe he could be the next White Hope.
(c) They all believe Jack could beat him.
(d) They all hope Jack can learn how to beat this man.
9. What does Clara begin shouting?
(a) Jack is to blame for Mrs. Jefferson's death.
(b) Jack should not be imprisoned.
(c) She wants to marry Jack.
(d) Ellie is to blame for Mrs. Jefferson's death.
10. Which of the men expresses doubts that the fighter is capable?
(a) Pop Weaver.
(b) Cap'n Dan.
11. What does Smitty come in and give Jack?
(a) A letter.
(b) A phone call.
(c) A telegram.
(d) An e-mail.
12. What does Dixon say about the black population at large?
(a) It is somewhat powerful.
(b) It is dwindling and becoming weakened.
(c) It is becoming aggressive.
(d) It is close to becoming economically and socially powerful.
13. Why does Smitty ask Ellie whether they are considering settling in France?
(a) Since it seems they cannot return to the United States.
(b) Since it seems that the French like Jack.
(c) Since it seems that Ellie likes France.
(d) Since it seems that Jack likes France.
14. What does Cap'n Dan say can be cut off from Jack?
(a) Any connection.
(b) His cable.
(d) Any source of money.
15. How does Jack react when Ellie tells him to stop dancing and singing?
(a) He loses his temper.
(b) He is silent.
(c) He leaves.
(d) He laughs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack believe took much out of his mother?
2. Does Pop think the fight will happen right away?
3. Why does Jack ask Ellie why she did not send Ragosy to Goldie?
4. Does Smitty say Ellie is not as strong as Jack?
5. Who arrives at an airport in France where he is met by a group of reporters who ask him, in French, how he feels about his impending fight with Jack?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)