|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what is the performer's song?
(a) He wishes he were a "coon."
(b) Whether Jack is a "coon."
(c) A "coon" wishing he was white.
(d) What it takes to be a "coon."
2. What does Jack sing softly?
(a) A verse of a hymn.
(b) A verse of a rap.
(c) A verse of Ellie's favorite song.
(d) A verse of a blues song.
3. What is the press calling the fight?
(a) The fight of the century.
(b) The one to watch.
(c) The fight to end all fights.
(d) The best fight.
4. What does Cameron promise?
(a) To forget the man ever came.
(b) To not call the cops.
(c) Not to allow this man to speak to him again.
(d) Not to let the matter rest.
5. How does the young man respond when Jack turns to him and asks what winning is going to do for him directly?
(a) He cannot answer.
(b) It will give him something to be happy about.
(c) It will make white people respect him.
(d) It will give him self-respect.
6. What does Ellie suddenly ask?
(a) Why people cannot leave them alone.
(b) Where Jack is.
(c) Why Jack likes her.
(d) What she is doing here.
7. What is a barker shouting into a megaphone?
(a) He is telling the people to go home.
(b) An invitation to the people of Chicago to the cafe's opening.
(c) A message about the Savior.
(d) An invitation for the crowd to enter Jack's home.
8. A moment later a crowd of marchers enters, doing what?
(a) Carrying placards that denounce Brady.
(b) Carrying placards that denounce the cafe.
(c) Carrying placards that denounce black people.
(d) Carrying placards that denounce Jack.
9. What does a group of rangers arrive and announce?
(a) No blacks are allowed in.
(b) The fight has been cancelled.
(c) All weapons are to be confiscated.
(d) No more seats are available in the arena.
10. Does Brady accept the idea?
(c) Yes, at first.
(d) Not at first.
11. Late at night in a hotel room in Wisconsin, what does Jack try to get Ellie to do?
(a) Leave him.
(b) Marry him.
(c) Go get him food.
(d) Go for a late night swim with him.
12. When does Goldie say the fight is scheduled?
(a) Fourth of July.
(b) Labor Day.
(c) Memorial Day.
(d) Easter Sunday.
13. When Cap'n Dan and Fred discuss the terms of the fight, who is named the referee?
(a) Cap'n Dan.
14. What does Mrs. Jefferson promise Jack?
(a) She will pray for him.
(b) She will bail him out.
(c) She will take care of Clara for him.
(d) She will visit him in prison both soon and often.
15. What does Cameron say about the charges that could be brought against Jack?
(a) They are rediculous.
(b) They are quite substantial.
(c) They are non-existent.
(d) They are all relatively minor.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Tick shouts directions and questions, Jack shouts back comments and answers. Why does Jack stop?
2. Who is the first of several witnesses to object to Jack's presence in England?
3. On whom does Clara angrily talk about wanting to take revenge?
4. What does the next witness, Inspector Wainwright, detail?
5. Who knocks on the door and enters?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)