|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Smitty warn Goldie?
(a) Approaching police officers.
(b) Approaching protesters.
(c) Bills that are due.
(d) Approaching fans.
2. Who says that the black man did not fight "like a man" in a match in Australia?
(c) Cap'n Dan.
3. About what does Mrs. Jefferson worry?
(a) How horrible Jack's sentence will be.
(b) If Jack will run away.
(c) If they will kill Jack.
(d) How long it is taking to get news from the courthouse.
4. Whose power does this man believe black people should accept?
(b) Their own.
(c) The white man's.
(d) Anyone but the white man.
5. How do the white people in the audience respond?
(a) They cheer.
(b) They scream.
(c) They remain silent.
(d) They boo.
6. What is the press calling the fight?
(a) The fight of the century.
(b) The best fight.
(c) The one to watch.
(d) The fight to end all fights.
7. Why does Goldie ask Ellie to excuse them?
(a) Jack needs to focus.
(b) He does not care for her.
(c) The reporters are about to arrive.
(d) He wants to talk to Jack in private.
8. What does a Deacon tell Jack?
(a) Fighting is a sin.
(b) He must fight for himself and God.
(c) They are all going to be praying for him and that he is fighting for all of them.
(d) He should not fight.
9. Late at night in a hotel room in Wisconsin, what does Jack try to get Ellie to do?
(a) Go get him food.
(b) Leave him.
(c) Marry him.
(d) Go for a late night swim with him.
10. How does Smitty respond when Goldie tells him to fetch some police?
(a) The police will support the crowd.
(b) The police will show up unbidden.
(c) The police will ignore him.
(d) Those are the police.
11. Who knocks on the door and enters?
(a) Rudy and three other young black men.
(b) The group of police officers.
(d) Tick and Ellie.
12. How does Jack greet Brady?
(a) He does not greet him.
(b) As an enemy.
(c) As a friend.
(d) With a glare.
13. How does Jack handle the intensity of this protest?
(a) With humor.
(b) With anger.
(c) With frustration.
(d) With silence.
14. At her home in Chicago, what is Mrs. Jefferson doing?
(a) Writing a letter to Jack.
(b) Praying for Jack.
(c) Waiting for news from Jack's trial.
(d) Talking to Jack.
15. How do Cap'n Dan and Fred respond to Brady's confession?
(a) They say he will be just fine.
(b) The taunt him.
(c) They agree with him.
(d) They laugh at him.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what is the performer's song?
2. How does the boxer fight that makes him seem like he does not fight "like a man?"
3. For what does Jack thank Brady?
4. What does Ellie suddenly ask?
5. What does this man urge black people to do?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)