|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At her home in Chicago, what is Mrs. Jefferson doing?
(a) Writing a letter to Jack.
(b) Praying for Jack.
(c) Talking to Jack.
(d) Waiting for news from Jack's trial.
2. Who knocks on the door and enters?
(a) Rudy and three other young black men.
(c) Tick and Ellie.
(d) The group of police officers.
3. What does Jack sing softly?
(a) A verse of a hymn.
(b) A verse of a rap.
(c) A verse of Ellie's favorite song.
(d) A verse of a blues song.
4. Why do the marchers leave?
(a) They become bored.
(b) The police forcefully remove them.
(c) They are afraid of Jack.
(d) They see they are not getting the reaction they had planned..
5. As Dixon and the other men lead Jack and Ellie off, who appears?
(a) A bizarrely dressed black man named Scipio.
(b) A bizarrely dressed white man named Scipio.
(c) A bizarrely dressed white man named Scott.
(d) A bizarrely dressed black man named Scott.
6. Where is a large crowd of black people gathered?
(a) Outside of the arena after the fight.
(b) Outside a church after a service.
(c) Outside a building that has the sign Cafe de Champion on it.
(d) Outside Jack's home, waiting for his return.
7. How does Jack respond when Smitty asks whether Jack really thinks he can win?
(a) He does not want to win.
(b) He is convinced he will win.
(c) He is sure he will not win.
(d) He is not sure if he will win.
8. What does Goldie plead with Jack to not do?
(a) End his relationship with Ellie.
(b) Lie to the press.
(c) Make Ellie talk to the press.
(d) Throw his relationship with Ellie in their faces.
9. What is the press calling the fight?
(a) The one to watch.
(b) The best fight.
(c) The fight to end all fights.
(d) The fight of the century.
10. What are the people demanding from District Attorney Cameron?
(a) That he interrogate Jack.
(b) That he have Jack arrested.
(c) That he request a rematch.
(d) That he have Brady arrested.
11. How do the white people in the audience respond?
(a) They boo.
(b) They scream.
(c) They cheer.
(d) They remain silent.
12. What does an extremely well-spoken black man say about Jack's behavior?
(a) It is what one should expect from a young athlete.
(b) It is a disgrace to all colored people.
(c) It is what all black men should do.
(d) It is shocking but expected.
13. What is revealed about Jack and Ellie, regarding how they met?
(a) They were in the same hotel in Sydney.
(b) They were on the same boat coming back from Australia.
(c) They met in a bar in Chicago.
(d) They met on a boat going to Australia.
14. Why does Ellie ask Jack if he feels all right?
(a) He looks a little strange.
(b) He looks upset.
(c) He looks sad.
(d) He looks worried.
15. How does Jack handle the intensity of this protest?
(a) With silence.
(b) With anger.
(c) With frustration.
(d) With humor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tick enters with the news that Jack has been fined and sentenced how much?
2. What does this man urge black people to do?
3. On whom does Clara angrily talk about wanting to take revenge?
4. The white people move aside and reveal what?
5. Why does Coates believe there is no reason for Jack to remain in England?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)