|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are several things are going on, such as a dice game, bets on the outcome of the fight, and a performer in blackface performing for a group of fans unable to get into the arena itself?
(a) Inside the arena in Reno.
(b) Outside the arena in Reno.
(c) Outside Jack's trailer.
(d) Down the street from the arena.
2. Why does Coates believe there is no reason for Jack to remain in England?
(a) Jack is not making any money.
(b) Jack is causing too many problems.
(c) Jack is black.
(d) Jack's stated intention in coming to England was to have a career as a boxer, and that is not likely to happen.
3. Why does Ellie agree to come talk to Cameron?
(a) She wanted to head off any attempts to get at Jack through her.
(b) She wants to show Jack that she is strong.
(c) She hopes she can get Jack arrested.
(d) She is tired of dating Jack.
4. Dixon and five white men burst in and, after a scuffle, arrest Jack for what?
(a) Violating his parole.
(b) Violating the Jim Crow laws.
(c) Violating the Mann Act.
(d) Violating the custody agreement.
5. How does Sir William respond to Coates' comment?
(a) Many people cause problems and are not sent away.
(b) There are many poor people in England that are not exiled.
(c) Anyone living in England is free to change his means of earning a living if he wants.
(d) One cannot be judged by one's color.
6. What do the men say a good White Hope could do?
(a) Make Jack more popular.
(b) Cause racial tension.
(c) Destroy Jack.
(d) Resolve the situation.
7. What does Jack tell the crowd?
(a) He is proud to win but sorry for his opponent.
(b) He is surprised to see them all.
(c) He is proud and happy to be making Chicago his new home.
(d) He is sad that he lost the match.
8. Does Brady accept the idea?
(a) Not at first.
(d) Yes, at first.
9. How much prison time does Cameron tell Jack he could face?
(a) One to three years.
(b) Six months to one year.
(c) Five to ten years.
(d) Ten to fifteen years.
10. About what does Mrs. Jefferson worry?
(a) If they will kill Jack.
(b) How horrible Jack's sentence will be.
(c) If Jack will run away.
(d) How long it is taking to get news from the courthouse.
11. What does Jack sing softly?
(a) A verse of a hymn.
(b) A verse of a blues song.
(c) A verse of Ellie's favorite song.
(d) A verse of a rap.
12. What is revealed about Jack and Ellie, regarding how they met?
(a) They met on a boat going to Australia.
(b) They were on the same boat coming back from Australia.
(c) They met in a bar in Chicago.
(d) They were in the same hotel in Sydney.
13. For what does Jack thank Brady?
(a) Paying for him to come be in this fight.
(b) For giving him the title so easily.
(c) Allowing him to win.
(d) The opportunity to take a shot at the title.
14. Where are Jack, Ellie, Tick, and Goldie at the beginning of the scene?
(a) A courtroom.
(b) A police station.
(c) A train station.
(d) A diplomatic office in London, England.
15. When Cap'n Dan and Fred discuss the terms of the fight, who is named the referee?
(c) Cap'n Dan.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom does Brady face intense pressure?
2. What does Goldie plead with Jack to not do?
3. Who is with Mrs. Jefferson?
4. What are the people demanding from District Attorney Cameron?
5. Why was Ellie in Australia?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)