|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A moment later a crowd of marchers enters, doing what?
(a) Carrying placards that denounce Jack.
(b) Carrying placards that denounce the cafe.
(c) Carrying placards that denounce black people.
(d) Carrying placards that denounce Brady.
2. Why does Ellie agree to come talk to Cameron?
(a) She is tired of dating Jack.
(b) She hopes she can get Jack arrested.
(c) She wanted to head off any attempts to get at Jack through her.
(d) She wants to show Jack that she is strong.
3. What does Coates prompt Bratby to reveal?
(a) The match promised Jack never existed.
(b) The match promised Jack has been canceled.
(c) The match promised Jack has been delayed.
(d) The match promised Jack is still on.
4. Does Brady accept the idea?
(a) Not at first.
(c) Yes, at first.
5. What does Brady confess?
(a) He is not a great boxer.
(b) He does not fight black men.
(c) He is afraid.
(d) He feels too old to fight.
6. Why does Ellie say that she will go along with anything?
(a) She is in the mood for some excitement.
(b) If it will encourage others to forget about race.
(c) If it will make her famous.
(d) If it will make Jack more successful.
7. Tick enters with the news that Jack has been fined and sentenced how much?
(a) $20,000 and three years in prison.
(b) $1,000 and six months in prison.
(c) $5,000 and one year in prison.
(d) $10,000 and two years in prison.
8. How do Cap'n Dan and Fred respond to Brady's confession?
(a) They say he will be just fine.
(b) The taunt him.
(c) They laugh at him.
(d) They agree with him.
9. Why does Ellie ask Jack if he feels all right?
(a) He looks sad.
(b) He looks upset.
(c) He looks worried.
(d) He looks a little strange.
10. How does Jack greet Brady?
(a) He does not greet him.
(b) With a glare.
(c) As a friend.
(d) As an enemy.
11. Who says that the black man did not fight "like a man" in a match in Australia?
(d) Cap'n Dan.
12. Where is a large crowd of black people gathered?
(a) Outside a church after a service.
(b) Outside Jack's home, waiting for his return.
(c) Outside a building that has the sign Cafe de Champion on it.
(d) Outside of the arena after the fight.
13. The white people move aside and reveal what?
(b) Jack's trainers.
(c) A small group of black people.
(d) Jack's family.
14. Why does Tick tell Ellie to stick around?
(a) Jack is much happier when she's near.
(b) He finds Ellie attractive.
(c) Jack wants to show off for her.
(d) She should see Jack in action.
15. Why does Coates believe there is no reason for Jack to remain in England?
(a) Jack is black.
(b) Jack is not making any money.
(c) Jack is causing too many problems.
(d) Jack's stated intention in coming to England was to have a career as a boxer, and that is not likely to happen.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the boxer fight that makes him seem like he does not fight "like a man?"
2. Knowing Jack is involved with a white girl is going to do what?
3. What does this man urge black people to do?
4. Where are several things are going on, such as a dice game, bets on the outcome of the fight, and a performer in blackface performing for a group of fans unable to get into the arena itself?
5. What does Cameron promise?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)