|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Coates believe there is no reason for Jack to remain in England?
(a) Jack is causing too many problems.
(b) Jack is not making any money.
(c) Jack is black.
(d) Jack's stated intention in coming to England was to have a career as a boxer, and that is not likely to happen.
2. Where are several things are going on, such as a dice game, bets on the outcome of the fight, and a performer in blackface performing for a group of fans unable to get into the arena itself?
(a) Down the street from the arena.
(b) Inside the arena in Reno.
(c) Outside Jack's trailer.
(d) Outside the arena in Reno.
3. What does Jack do when Clara clings to him?
(a) He cringes.
(b) He yells at her.
(c) He tries to get rid of her.
(d) He hugs her.
4. Why does Jack call Ellie honey?
(a) He does not like her real name.
(b) Honey just seems to fit.
(c) He keeps forgetting her name.
(d) He thinks it is a cute nickname.
5. At her home in Chicago, what is Mrs. Jefferson doing?
(a) Talking to Jack.
(b) Writing a letter to Jack.
(c) Waiting for news from Jack's trial.
(d) Praying for Jack.
6. When does Goldie say the fight is scheduled?
(a) Easter Sunday.
(b) Fourth of July.
(c) Memorial Day.
(d) Labor Day.
7. What does an extremely well-spoken black man say about Jack's behavior?
(a) It is what all black men should do.
(b) It is what one should expect from a young athlete.
(c) It is a disgrace to all colored people.
(d) It is shocking but expected.
8. On whom does Clara angrily talk about wanting to take revenge?
(a) Mrs. Jefferson.
9. Why does Cap'n Dan refuse to have the fight in any large cities?
(a) Brady needs to be a "big fish in a small pond."
(b) "Every nigger and his brother" will be there.
(c) I can't stand "city folk."
(d) Brady will get lost in the "big city."
10. In what city do they agree to have the fight?
(a) Las Vegas, Nevada.
(b) Los Angeles, California.
(c) Reno, Nevada.
(d) Salt Lake City, Utah.
11. How does the young man respond when Jack turns to him and asks what winning is going to do for him directly?
(a) It will give him self-respect.
(b) It will make white people respect him.
(c) It will give him something to be happy about.
(d) He cannot answer.
12. What does a reporter call Brady?
(a) The New Hope.
(b) Our Hope.
(d) The White Hope.
13. What does Jack say he has not figured out?
(a) How to be a optimistic loser.
(b) His opponent's strengths and weaknesses.
(c) How to win in a way that will not get everybody angry at him.
(d) When the match will be.
14. How long does Jack have left on bail and the right to appeal?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) One week.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Two weeks.
15. What does Jack sing softly?
(a) A verse of Ellie's favorite song.
(b) A verse of a hymn.
(c) A verse of a blues song.
(d) A verse of a rap.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom does Brady face intense pressure?
2. How does Jack respond when Smitty asks whether Jack really thinks he can win?
3. Who have been listening to the confrontation?
4. She recalls how hard it was to teach him the right way to behave, how he was always determined to do things his own way, and how she tried to punish him physically. What does she say she should have done to keep Jack out of a situation such as this?
5. What does this man say about those black people who want success on white men's terms?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)