|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jack greet Brady?
(a) As a friend.
(b) He does not greet him.
(c) With a glare.
(d) As an enemy.
2. What are Tick, his black trainer, and Ellie, his white girlfriend, watching Jack do?
(a) Yell at another boxer.
(b) Box with his trainer.
(c) Shadow box.
(d) Have his hands taped.
3. About what does Smitty warn Goldie?
(a) Approaching police officers.
(b) Approaching protesters.
(c) Bills that are due.
(d) Approaching fans.
4. About what are Goldie and Tick concerned?
(a) Jack being so optimistic.
(b) Jack calling Ellie his fiance.
(c) Jack's mood swings.
(d) Jack being able to beat Brady.
5. Does Brady accept the idea?
(a) Yes, at first.
(d) Not at first.
6. When Jack is finally allowed to speak, for what does he apologize?
(a) Wanting to fight.
(b) Being black.
(c) All the problems he has caused.
(d) Moving to England.
7. What is Cameron's response to this well-spoken black man?
(a) He has a good point.
(b) He is wrong.
(c) He is crazy.
(d) He is just like Jack.
8. What do the men say a good White Hope could do?
(a) Destroy Jack.
(b) Make Jack more popular.
(c) Resolve the situation.
(d) Cause racial tension.
9. What does Cameron promise?
(a) To forget the man ever came.
(b) Not to let the matter rest.
(c) To not call the cops.
(d) Not to allow this man to speak to him again.
10. How long does Jack have left on bail and the right to appeal?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) One week.
(d) Four weeks.
11. What does Coates prompt Bratby to reveal?
(a) The match promised Jack has been delayed.
(b) The match promised Jack is still on.
(c) The match promised Jack has been canceled.
(d) The match promised Jack never existed.
12. About what does Mrs. Jefferson worry?
(a) How long it is taking to get news from the courthouse.
(b) How horrible Jack's sentence will be.
(c) If they will kill Jack.
(d) If Jack will run away.
13. What is a barker shouting into a megaphone?
(a) An invitation to the people of Chicago to the cafe's opening.
(b) He is telling the people to go home.
(c) An invitation for the crowd to enter Jack's home.
(d) A message about the Savior.
14. How does the play begin?
(a) With an argument over whether Brady, the current white heavyweight boxing champion, should fight an up-and-coming black boxer.
(b) With an argument over whether Brady should be the new Great White Hope.
(c) With an argument over where Brady will go to train.
(d) With a a meeting to discuss who Brady should fight next.
15. How does the crowd react as Brady arrives?
(a) The crowd boos.
(b) The crowd makes no noise.
(c) The crowd cries.
(d) The crowd cheers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much prison time does Cameron tell Jack he could face?
2. As Dixon and the other men lead Jack and Ellie off, who appears?
3. Why does Goldie ask Ellie to excuse them?
4. Why does Ellie say that she will go along with anything?
5. What does Ellie sleepily imagine?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)