|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tick tell Ellie to stick around?
(a) He finds Ellie attractive.
(b) Jack is much happier when she's near.
(c) Jack wants to show off for her.
(d) She should see Jack in action.
2. She recalls how hard it was to teach him the right way to behave, how he was always determined to do things his own way, and how she tried to punish him physically. What does she say she should have done to keep Jack out of a situation such as this?
(a) Tried harder to teach him the right way to behave.
(b) Locked him in his room.
(c) Sent him to college.
(d) Put into a private school.
3. In what city do they agree to have the fight?
(a) Salt Lake City, Utah.
(b) Los Angeles, California.
(c) Reno, Nevada.
(d) Las Vegas, Nevada.
4. What does a group of rangers arrive and announce?
(a) All weapons are to be confiscated.
(b) No blacks are allowed in.
(c) The fight has been cancelled.
(d) No more seats are available in the arena.
5. How long does Jack have left on bail and the right to appeal?
(a) One week.
(b) Four weeks.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Two weeks.
6. How does Smitty respond when Goldie tells him to fetch some police?
(a) The police will show up unbidden.
(b) The police will ignore him.
(c) The police will support the crowd.
(d) Those are the police.
7. About what are Goldie and Tick concerned?
(a) Jack being so optimistic.
(b) Jack calling Ellie his fiance.
(c) Jack being able to beat Brady.
(d) Jack's mood swings.
8. What does Jack say will happen now that a match has been arranged for him?
(a) He will move to the United States.
(b) He knows some problems will occur.
(c) He is sure there will be no problems.
(d) He is sure he will make plenty of money.
9. A moment later a crowd of marchers enters, doing what?
(a) Carrying placards that denounce Brady.
(b) Carrying placards that denounce the cafe.
(c) Carrying placards that denounce Jack.
(d) Carrying placards that denounce black people.
10. How does the crowd react as Brady arrives?
(a) The crowd cries.
(b) The crowd cheers.
(c) The crowd boos.
(d) The crowd makes no noise.
11. Tick enters with the news that Jack has been fined and sentenced how much?
(a) $5,000 and one year in prison.
(b) $20,000 and three years in prison.
(c) $10,000 and two years in prison.
(d) $1,000 and six months in prison.
12. About what does Mrs. Jefferson worry?
(a) How long it is taking to get news from the courthouse.
(b) If Jack will run away.
(c) How horrible Jack's sentence will be.
(d) If they will kill Jack.
13. The white people move aside and reveal what?
(a) Jack's trainers.
(c) Jack's family.
(d) A small group of black people.
14. Why does Coates believe there is no reason for Jack to remain in England?
(a) Jack is causing too many problems.
(b) Jack's stated intention in coming to England was to have a career as a boxer, and that is not likely to happen.
(c) Jack is black.
(d) Jack is not making any money.
15. What are Tick, his black trainer, and Ellie, his white girlfriend, watching Jack do?
(a) Shadow box.
(b) Have his hands taped.
(c) Yell at another boxer.
(d) Box with his trainer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the press calling the fight?
2. How does Sir William respond to Coates' comment?
3. What does a reporter call Brady?
4. When Cap'n Dan and Fred discuss the terms of the fight, who is named the referee?
5. What does Coates prompt Bratby to reveal?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)