|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tick enters with the news that Jack has been fined and sentenced how much?
(a) $5,000 and one year in prison.
(b) $1,000 and six months in prison.
(c) $20,000 and three years in prison.
(d) $10,000 and two years in prison.
2. About what is the performer's song?
(a) A "coon" wishing he was white.
(b) Whether Jack is a "coon."
(c) What it takes to be a "coon."
(d) He wishes he were a "coon."
3. Who knocks on the door and enters?
(a) The group of police officers.
(c) Tick and Ellie.
(d) Rudy and three other young black men.
4. Who says that the black man did not fight "like a man" in a match in Australia?
(d) Cap'n Dan.
5. How does the young man respond when Jack turns to him and asks what winning is going to do for him directly?
(a) It will give him something to be happy about.
(b) It will give him self-respect.
(c) It will make white people respect him.
(d) He cannot answer.
6. What does a Deacon tell Jack?
(a) They are all going to be praying for him and that he is fighting for all of them.
(b) He should not fight.
(c) He must fight for himself and God.
(d) Fighting is a sin.
7. As Tick shouts directions and questions, Jack shouts back comments and answers. Why does Jack stop?
(a) He is tired of arguing.
(b) He is preparing to box.
(c) He walks out of the room.
(d) He is concerned that watching him is too rough for Ellie.
8. Why does Jack call Ellie honey?
(a) He does not like her real name.
(b) He keeps forgetting her name.
(c) Honey just seems to fit.
(d) He thinks it is a cute nickname.
9. Knowing Jack is involved with a white girl is going to do what?
(a) Encourage others to do the same.
(b) Cause some surprise.
(c) Generate hate that will drive people crazy.
(d) Irritate many people.
10. Why does Ellie say that she will go along with anything?
(a) If it will make her famous.
(b) If it will make Jack more successful.
(c) If it will encourage others to forget about race.
(d) She is in the mood for some excitement.
11. What are the people demanding from District Attorney Cameron?
(a) That he have Jack arrested.
(b) That he have Brady arrested.
(c) That he interrogate Jack.
(d) That he request a rematch.
12. For what does Jack thank Brady?
(a) Paying for him to come be in this fight.
(b) For giving him the title so easily.
(c) The opportunity to take a shot at the title.
(d) Allowing him to win.
13. What does Jack say will happen now that a match has been arranged for him?
(a) He knows some problems will occur.
(b) He is sure there will be no problems.
(c) He is sure he will make plenty of money.
(d) He will move to the United States.
14. How does Jack greet Brady?
(a) With a glare.
(b) As a friend.
(c) He does not greet him.
(d) As an enemy.
15. What does Jack say he has not figured out?
(a) When the match will be.
(b) How to win in a way that will not get everybody angry at him.
(c) His opponent's strengths and weaknesses.
(d) How to be a optimistic loser.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Ellie in Australia?
2. She recalls how hard it was to teach him the right way to behave, how he was always determined to do things his own way, and how she tried to punish him physically. What does she say she should have done to keep Jack out of a situation such as this?
3. How do Cap'n Dan and Fred respond to Brady's confession?
4. What do the men say a good White Hope could do?
5. Why does Ellie ask Jack if he feels all right?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)