|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jack call Ellie honey?
(a) Honey just seems to fit.
(b) He keeps forgetting her name.
(c) He does not like her real name.
(d) He thinks it is a cute nickname.
2. Where are Jack, Ellie, Tick, and Goldie at the beginning of the scene?
(a) A diplomatic office in London, England.
(b) A courtroom.
(c) A police station.
(d) A train station.
3. As Tick shouts directions and questions, Jack shouts back comments and answers. Why does Jack stop?
(a) He walks out of the room.
(b) He is tired of arguing.
(c) He is concerned that watching him is too rough for Ellie.
(d) He is preparing to box.
4. What does Ellie suddenly ask?
(a) Why people cannot leave them alone.
(b) Where Jack is.
(c) What she is doing here.
(d) Why Jack likes her.
5. Knowing Jack is involved with a white girl is going to do what?
(a) Cause some surprise.
(b) Encourage others to do the same.
(c) Generate hate that will drive people crazy.
(d) Irritate many people.
6. What does a witness named Bratby explain?
(a) What happened when he refused to arrange a match for Jack.
(b) complains about the parties, noise, and destructive behavior that took place in the apartment that Jack and Ellie rented.
(c) How Jack stole from him.
(d) Charges and fines levied against Jack.
7. For what does Jack thank Brady?
(a) Allowing him to win.
(b) For giving him the title so easily.
(c) Paying for him to come be in this fight.
(d) The opportunity to take a shot at the title.
8. What does Goldie plead with Jack to not do?
(a) End his relationship with Ellie.
(b) Make Ellie talk to the press.
(c) Throw his relationship with Ellie in their faces.
(d) Lie to the press.
9. Why does the Pastor believe Mrs. Jefferson is lucky?
(a) She has Ellie taking care of her.
(b) She has her brother taking care of her.
(c) She has Clara taking care of her.
(d) She had God in her life.
10. When does Goldie say the fight is scheduled?
(a) Labor Day.
(b) Fourth of July.
(c) Memorial Day.
(d) Easter Sunday.
11. Why does Cap'n Dan tell Brady the whole country is going to feel let down?
(a) If Brady continues to refuse to fight.
(b) If Brady continues to say he is afraid of this man.
(c) If Brady ends his boxing career.
(d) If Brady fights this man.
12. What do the marchers and black people begin to do?
(a) The marchers begin to become angry and the black people begin to laugh and taunt them.
(b) The marchers begin to preach and the black people begin to become angry.
(c) The marchers become silent and the black people become nervous.
(d) The marchers begin to laugh and the black people begin to become angry.
13. Does Sir William believe Jack's crimes in America are any of England's concern?
(d) A little.
14. What does this man urge black people to do?
(a) Be like the white man.
(b) Move back to Africa.
(c) Create their own communities.
(d) Be themselves.
15. What does a Deacon tell Jack?
(a) Fighting is a sin.
(b) They are all going to be praying for him and that he is fighting for all of them.
(c) He must fight for himself and God.
(d) He should not fight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is revealed about Jack and Ellie, regarding how they met?
2. How do the white people in the audience respond?
3. How do Cap'n Dan and Fred respond to Brady's confession?
4. Why does Tick tell Ellie to stick around?
5. How does Sir William respond to Coates' comment?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)