|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jack handle the intensity of this protest?
(a) With anger.
(b) With frustration.
(c) With silence.
(d) With humor.
2. Why does the Pastor believe Mrs. Jefferson is lucky?
(a) She has her brother taking care of her.
(b) She had God in her life.
(c) She has Clara taking care of her.
(d) She has Ellie taking care of her.
3. Why do the marchers leave?
(a) They see they are not getting the reaction they had planned..
(b) The police forcefully remove them.
(c) They are afraid of Jack.
(d) They become bored.
4. Who have been listening to the confrontation?
(a) Fred, Smitty, and Dixon.
(b) Cap'n Dan, Smitty, and Fred.
(c) Smitty, a dectective, and Dixon.
(d) Smitty, Jack, and Goldie.
5. How does the crowd react to Jack's arrival?
(a) They say nothing.
(b) There are no cheers.
(c) They cry.
(d) They cheer.
6. What are the people demanding from District Attorney Cameron?
(a) That he have Jack arrested.
(b) That he interrogate Jack.
(c) That he have Brady arrested.
(d) That he request a rematch.
7. Whose power does this man believe black people should accept?
(a) The white man's.
(b) Their own.
(d) Anyone but the white man.
8. Why does Jack call Ellie honey?
(a) He thinks it is a cute nickname.
(b) Honey just seems to fit.
(c) He does not like her real name.
(d) He keeps forgetting her name.
9. Where are several things are going on, such as a dice game, bets on the outcome of the fight, and a performer in blackface performing for a group of fans unable to get into the arena itself?
(a) Outside the arena in Reno.
(b) Down the street from the arena.
(c) Outside Jack's trailer.
(d) Inside the arena in Reno.
10. How does Smitty respond when Goldie tells him to fetch some police?
(a) The police will support the crowd.
(b) The police will ignore him.
(c) Those are the police.
(d) The police will show up unbidden.
11. How does the play begin?
(a) With a a meeting to discuss who Brady should fight next.
(b) With an argument over whether Brady should be the new Great White Hope.
(c) With an argument over where Brady will go to train.
(d) With an argument over whether Brady, the current white heavyweight boxing champion, should fight an up-and-coming black boxer.
12. Where are Jack, Ellie, Tick, and Goldie at the beginning of the scene?
(a) A diplomatic office in London, England.
(b) A train station.
(c) A police station.
(d) A courtroom.
13. How much prison time does Cameron tell Jack he could face?
(a) Five to ten years.
(b) Ten to fifteen years.
(c) One to three years.
(d) Six months to one year.
14. How does Sir William respond to Coates' comment?
(a) There are many poor people in England that are not exiled.
(b) Anyone living in England is free to change his means of earning a living if he wants.
(c) One cannot be judged by one's color.
(d) Many people cause problems and are not sent away.
15. From whom does Brady face intense pressure?
(a) Fred, Cap'n Dan, and Smitty.
(b) Smity, Fred, and Jack.
(c) Cap'n Dan, Jack, and Smitty.
(d) Jack, Ellie, and Fred.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first of several witnesses to object to Jack's presence in England?
2. Dixon and five white men burst in and, after a scuffle, arrest Jack for what?
3. Does Brady accept the idea?
4. What does Brady confess?
5. At her home in Chicago, what is Mrs. Jefferson doing?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)