|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Cap'n Dan refuse to have the fight in any large cities?
(a) Brady will get lost in the "big city."
(b) I can't stand "city folk."
(c) Brady needs to be a "big fish in a small pond."
(d) "Every nigger and his brother" will be there.
2. What are the people demanding from District Attorney Cameron?
(a) That he interrogate Jack.
(b) That he have Jack arrested.
(c) That he request a rematch.
(d) That he have Brady arrested.
3. A moment later a crowd of marchers enters, doing what?
(a) Carrying placards that denounce the cafe.
(b) Carrying placards that denounce Brady.
(c) Carrying placards that denounce Jack.
(d) Carrying placards that denounce black people.
4. Who does Clara see out the window?
(b) A group of police officers.
(d) A group of men getting ready to play baseball.
5. When Jack is finally allowed to speak, for what does he apologize?
(a) Being black.
(b) Wanting to fight.
(c) All the problems he has caused.
(d) Moving to England.
6. Who is with Mrs. Jefferson?
(a) Clara, a pastor, and a choir.
(b) Cap'n Dan, Fred, and Goldie.
(c) Clara, Ellie, and Tick.
(d) Ellie, a pastor, and her brother.
7. About what does Jack realize she is talking?
(a) His last fight, which ended badly.
(b) How he looks when he is sunburned.
(c) How he looks when he is sad.
(d) The face he makes when he is concentrating.
8. How do Cap'n Dan and Fred respond to Brady's confession?
(a) They agree with him.
(b) They say he will be just fine.
(c) They laugh at him.
(d) The taunt him.
9. How does the crowd react as Jack enters?
(a) They are silent.
(b) They boo.
(c) They cry.
(d) They cheer.
10. Does Brady accept the idea?
(b) Yes, at first.
(c) Not at first.
11. What does a group of rangers arrive and announce?
(a) All weapons are to be confiscated.
(b) No more seats are available in the arena.
(c) The fight has been cancelled.
(d) No blacks are allowed in.
12. What is revealed about Jack and Ellie, regarding how they met?
(a) They met on a boat going to Australia.
(b) They met in a bar in Chicago.
(c) They were in the same hotel in Sydney.
(d) They were on the same boat coming back from Australia.
13. How long does Jack have left on bail and the right to appeal?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) One week.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Three weeks.
14. What do the men say a good White Hope could do?
(a) Cause racial tension.
(b) Resolve the situation.
(c) Make Jack more popular.
(d) Destroy Jack.
15. How does a man in the crowd joke about Brady?
(a) He should wear a diaper.
(b) He is crying all the way home.
(c) He will be eating out of a tube.
(d) His head being mounted on the wall inside.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says that the black man did not fight "like a man" in a match in Australia?
2. What do the marchers and black people begin to do?
3. Why do the marchers leave?
4. Why was Ellie in Australia?
5. About what does Smitty warn Goldie?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)