|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does the performer joke?
(a) How he wants to wash his face.
(b) How he hopes others will support Jack.
(c) How he hopes he is not the only black person around.
(d) How he wishes he were really black.
2. What does Ellie suddenly ask?
(a) Where Jack is.
(b) Why Jack likes her.
(c) What she is doing here.
(d) Why people cannot leave them alone.
3. What does Jack say he has not figured out?
(a) How to be a optimistic loser.
(b) When the match will be.
(c) His opponent's strengths and weaknesses.
(d) How to win in a way that will not get everybody angry at him.
4. What are Tick, his black trainer, and Ellie, his white girlfriend, watching Jack do?
(a) Yell at another boxer.
(b) Shadow box.
(c) Have his hands taped.
(d) Box with his trainer.
5. What do the marchers and black people begin to do?
(a) The marchers become silent and the black people become nervous.
(b) The marchers begin to laugh and the black people begin to become angry.
(c) The marchers begin to become angry and the black people begin to laugh and taunt them.
(d) The marchers begin to preach and the black people begin to become angry.
6. For what does Jack thank Brady?
(a) For giving him the title so easily.
(b) The opportunity to take a shot at the title.
(c) Paying for him to come be in this fight.
(d) Allowing him to win.
7. In what city do they agree to have the fight?
(a) Salt Lake City, Utah.
(b) Reno, Nevada.
(c) Los Angeles, California.
(d) Las Vegas, Nevada.
8. Whose power does this man believe black people should accept?
(a) Their own.
(b) Anyone but the white man.
(c) The white man's.
9. How do Cap'n Dan and Fred respond to Brady's confession?
(a) The taunt him.
(b) They agree with him.
(c) They say he will be just fine.
(d) They laugh at him.
10. How does the crowd react as Jack enters?
(a) They are silent.
(b) They cheer.
(c) They cry.
(d) They boo.
11. Does Brady accept the idea?
(a) Not at first.
(b) Yes, at first.
12. Who is the first of several witnesses to object to Jack's presence in England?
(b) Mrs. Kimball.
(d) Inspector Wainwright.
13. How does the boxer fight that makes him seem like he does not fight "like a man?"
(a) He cried the entire match and begged for it to be over.
(b) He smiled all during the match, taunted his opponent, and made "smart ass remarks to the crowd."
(c) He made cheap shots and cursed at the other boxer.
(d) He glared at the other boxer, he would not stop when the referee told him to, and he swung harder than he needed to.
14. What does Mrs. Jefferson promise Jack?
(a) She will take care of Clara for him.
(b) She will visit him in prison both soon and often.
(c) She will bail him out.
(d) She will pray for him.
15. Dixon and five white men burst in and, after a scuffle, arrest Jack for what?
(a) Violating the Jim Crow laws.
(b) Violating his parole.
(c) Violating the Mann Act.
(d) Violating the custody agreement.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ellie say that she will go along with anything?
2. How does Jack respond when Smitty asks whether Jack really thinks he can win?
3. How does the crowd react to Jack's arrival?
4. What does an extremely well-spoken black man say about Jack's behavior?
5. Why does Jack call Ellie honey?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)