|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Brady accept the idea?
(c) Not at first.
(d) Yes, at first.
2. Why does Cap'n Dan tell Brady the whole country is going to feel let down?
(a) If Brady ends his boxing career.
(b) If Brady fights this man.
(c) If Brady continues to refuse to fight.
(d) If Brady continues to say he is afraid of this man.
3. What does a Deacon tell Jack?
(a) They are all going to be praying for him and that he is fighting for all of them.
(b) He should not fight.
(c) He must fight for himself and God.
(d) Fighting is a sin.
4. How do Cap'n Dan and Fred respond to Brady's confession?
(a) They agree with him.
(b) They say he will be just fine.
(c) They laugh at him.
(d) The taunt him.
5. What does Ellie suddenly ask?
(a) Why people cannot leave them alone.
(b) What she is doing here.
(c) Why Jack likes her.
(d) Where Jack is.
6. Knowing Jack is involved with a white girl is going to do what?
(a) Irritate many people.
(b) Encourage others to do the same.
(c) Cause some surprise.
(d) Generate hate that will drive people crazy.
7. What does Mrs. Jefferson promise Jack?
(a) She will bail him out.
(b) She will pray for him.
(c) She will visit him in prison both soon and often.
(d) She will take care of Clara for him.
8. About what is the performer's song?
(a) He wishes he were a "coon."
(b) What it takes to be a "coon."
(c) A "coon" wishing he was white.
(d) Whether Jack is a "coon."
9. What does this man say about those black people who want success on white men's terms?
(a) It is another form of slavery.
(b) They are smart to do that.
(c) Everyone should succeed on white men's terms.
(d) White men's terms are the best.
10. Who does Clara see out the window?
(a) A group of police officers.
(c) A group of men getting ready to play baseball.
11. Late at night in a hotel room in Wisconsin, what does Jack try to get Ellie to do?
(a) Go get him food.
(b) Leave him.
(c) Marry him.
(d) Go for a late night swim with him.
12. How does Jack respond when Smitty asks whether Jack really thinks he can win?
(a) He does not want to win.
(b) He is sure he will not win.
(c) He is convinced he will win.
(d) He is not sure if he will win.
13. How does the crowd react as Brady arrives?
(a) The crowd boos.
(b) The crowd makes no noise.
(c) The crowd cries.
(d) The crowd cheers.
14. What does a group of rangers arrive and announce?
(a) No blacks are allowed in.
(b) All weapons are to be confiscated.
(c) No more seats are available in the arena.
(d) The fight has been cancelled.
15. What does Cameron say about the charges that could be brought against Jack?
(a) They are non-existent.
(b) They are rediculous.
(c) They are quite substantial.
(d) They are all relatively minor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the crowd react as Jack enters?
2. Why does Jack call Ellie honey?
3. Who is the second witness, who makes racist remarks as she complains about the parties, noise, and destructive behavior that took place in the apartment that Jack and Ellie rented from her?
4. As Dixon and the other men lead Jack and Ellie off, who appears?
5. Why does Coates believe there is no reason for Jack to remain in England?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)