|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Knowing Jack is involved with a white girl is going to do what?
(a) Cause some surprise.
(b) Irritate many people.
(c) Encourage others to do the same.
(d) Generate hate that will drive people crazy.
2. Does Sir William believe Jack's crimes in America are any of England's concern?
(c) A little.
3. Why does Tick tell Ellie to stick around?
(a) He finds Ellie attractive.
(b) Jack wants to show off for her.
(c) She should see Jack in action.
(d) Jack is much happier when she's near.
4. What are Tick, his black trainer, and Ellie, his white girlfriend, watching Jack do?
(a) Have his hands taped.
(b) Box with his trainer.
(c) Shadow box.
(d) Yell at another boxer.
5. What does a group of rangers arrive and announce?
(a) All weapons are to be confiscated.
(b) The fight has been cancelled.
(c) No more seats are available in the arena.
(d) No blacks are allowed in.
6. What does a reporter call Brady?
(b) Our Hope.
(c) The White Hope.
(d) The New Hope.
7. Who knocks on the door and enters?
(a) Tick and Ellie.
(b) The group of police officers.
(c) Rudy and three other young black men.
8. How long does Jack have left on bail and the right to appeal?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) One week.
(d) Four weeks.
9. The white people move aside and reveal what?
(b) Jack's trainers.
(c) A small group of black people.
(d) Jack's family.
10. Who is with Mrs. Jefferson?
(a) Ellie, a pastor, and her brother.
(b) Clara, a pastor, and a choir.
(c) Cap'n Dan, Fred, and Goldie.
(d) Clara, Ellie, and Tick.
11. From whom does Brady face intense pressure?
(a) Jack, Ellie, and Fred.
(b) Cap'n Dan, Jack, and Smitty.
(c) Fred, Cap'n Dan, and Smitty.
(d) Smity, Fred, and Jack.
12. For what does Jack thank Brady?
(a) For giving him the title so easily.
(b) The opportunity to take a shot at the title.
(c) Paying for him to come be in this fight.
(d) Allowing him to win.
13. About what is the performer's song?
(a) What it takes to be a "coon."
(b) He wishes he were a "coon."
(c) A "coon" wishing he was white.
(d) Whether Jack is a "coon."
14. Whose power does this man believe black people should accept?
(a) Anyone but the white man.
(c) The white man's.
(d) Their own.
15. Where are several things are going on, such as a dice game, bets on the outcome of the fight, and a performer in blackface performing for a group of fans unable to get into the arena itself?
(a) Outside Jack's trailer.
(b) Down the street from the arena.
(c) Outside the arena in Reno.
(d) Inside the arena in Reno.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the crowd react as Brady arrives?
2. What does a Deacon tell Jack?
3. Who is the first of several witnesses to object to Jack's presence in England?
4. What does Goldie plead with Jack to not do?
5. What does this man urge black people to do?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)