|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is revealed about Jack and Ellie, regarding how they met?
(a) They were in the same hotel in Sydney.
(b) They met in a bar in Chicago.
(c) They were on the same boat coming back from Australia.
(d) They met on a boat going to Australia.
2. Who is the second witness, who makes racist remarks as she complains about the parties, noise, and destructive behavior that took place in the apartment that Jack and Ellie rented from her?
(b) Inspector Wainwright.
(c) Mrs. Kimball.
3. For what does Jack thank Brady?
(a) The opportunity to take a shot at the title.
(b) Allowing him to win.
(c) Paying for him to come be in this fight.
(d) For giving him the title so easily.
4. Who says that the black man did not fight "like a man" in a match in Australia?
(b) Cap'n Dan.
5. What does Brady confess?
(a) He is not a great boxer.
(b) He feels too old to fight.
(c) He is afraid.
(d) He does not fight black men.
6. Why was Ellie in Australia?
(a) To meet her husband.
(b) To marry Jack.
(c) To get a divorce.
(d) To visit family.
7. What do the marchers and black people begin to do?
(a) The marchers begin to become angry and the black people begin to laugh and taunt them.
(b) The marchers become silent and the black people become nervous.
(c) The marchers begin to laugh and the black people begin to become angry.
(d) The marchers begin to preach and the black people begin to become angry.
8. Why do the marchers leave?
(a) The police forcefully remove them.
(b) They are afraid of Jack.
(c) They become bored.
(d) They see they are not getting the reaction they had planned..
9. What does this man say about those black people who want success on white men's terms?
(a) White men's terms are the best.
(b) They are smart to do that.
(c) It is another form of slavery.
(d) Everyone should succeed on white men's terms.
10. Does Sir William believe Jack's crimes in America are any of England's concern?
(d) A little.
11. Does Cameron suggests that Ellie should be ashamed of what she is doing?
(d) A little.
12. How does the boxer fight that makes him seem like he does not fight "like a man?"
(a) He cried the entire match and begged for it to be over.
(b) He smiled all during the match, taunted his opponent, and made "smart ass remarks to the crowd."
(c) He made cheap shots and cursed at the other boxer.
(d) He glared at the other boxer, he would not stop when the referee told him to, and he swung harder than he needed to.
13. How does the crowd react as Jack enters?
(a) They cheer.
(b) They cry.
(c) They boo.
(d) They are silent.
14. What do the men say a good White Hope could do?
(a) Cause racial tension.
(b) Make Jack more popular.
(c) Resolve the situation.
(d) Destroy Jack.
15. What does a reporter call Brady?
(b) The New Hope.
(c) Our Hope.
(d) The White Hope.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Goldie ask Ellie to excuse them?
2. About what does Mrs. Jefferson worry?
3. Who does Clara see out the window?
4. About what is the performer's song?
5. Where are several things are going on, such as a dice game, bets on the outcome of the fight, and a performer in blackface performing for a group of fans unable to get into the arena itself?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)