|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jack greet Brady?
(a) As a friend.
(b) He does not greet him.
(c) With a glare.
(d) As an enemy.
2. Late at night in a hotel room in Wisconsin, what does Jack try to get Ellie to do?
(a) Leave him.
(b) Marry him.
(c) Go get him food.
(d) Go for a late night swim with him.
3. What does Jack say will happen now that a match has been arranged for him?
(a) He knows some problems will occur.
(b) He is sure there will be no problems.
(c) He will move to the United States.
(d) He is sure he will make plenty of money.
4. What is revealed about Jack and Ellie, regarding how they met?
(a) They were on the same boat coming back from Australia.
(b) They met on a boat going to Australia.
(c) They were in the same hotel in Sydney.
(d) They met in a bar in Chicago.
5. Who says that the black man did not fight "like a man" in a match in Australia?
(d) Cap'n Dan.
6. How does the crowd react to Jack's arrival?
(a) They say nothing.
(b) They cry.
(c) There are no cheers.
(d) They cheer.
7. Who is the first of several witnesses to object to Jack's presence in England?
(a) Inspector Wainwright.
(c) Mrs. Kimball.
8. Who is with Mrs. Jefferson?
(a) Clara, Ellie, and Tick.
(b) Ellie, a pastor, and her brother.
(c) Clara, a pastor, and a choir.
(d) Cap'n Dan, Fred, and Goldie.
9. Why does Ellie agree to come talk to Cameron?
(a) She hopes she can get Jack arrested.
(b) She wanted to head off any attempts to get at Jack through her.
(c) She wants to show Jack that she is strong.
(d) She is tired of dating Jack.
10. When Cap'n Dan and Fred discuss the terms of the fight, who is named the referee?
(b) Cap'n Dan.
11. What does a Deacon tell Jack?
(a) He must fight for himself and God.
(b) They are all going to be praying for him and that he is fighting for all of them.
(c) Fighting is a sin.
(d) He should not fight.
12. Whose power does this man believe black people should accept?
(a) Anyone but the white man.
(b) Their own.
(c) The white man's.
13. About what does Mrs. Jefferson worry?
(a) If they will kill Jack.
(b) If Jack will run away.
(c) How horrible Jack's sentence will be.
(d) How long it is taking to get news from the courthouse.
14. On whom does Clara angrily talk about wanting to take revenge?
(b) Mrs. Jefferson.
15. Why do the marchers leave?
(a) They see they are not getting the reaction they had planned..
(b) They are afraid of Jack.
(c) They become bored.
(d) The police forcefully remove them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the press calling the fight?
2. What does Mrs. Jefferson promise Jack?
3. How do the white people in the audience respond?
4. About what are Goldie and Tick concerned?
5. What does an extremely well-spoken black man say about Jack's behavior?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)