|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Cap'n Dan refuse to have the fight in any large cities?
(a) "Every nigger and his brother" will be there.
(b) Brady will get lost in the "big city."
(c) Brady needs to be a "big fish in a small pond."
(d) I can't stand "city folk."
2. What does Jack tell the crowd?
(a) He is proud to win but sorry for his opponent.
(b) He is sad that he lost the match.
(c) He is proud and happy to be making Chicago his new home.
(d) He is surprised to see them all.
3. How do the white people in the audience respond?
(a) They scream.
(b) They cheer.
(c) They remain silent.
(d) They boo.
4. As Tick shouts directions and questions, Jack shouts back comments and answers. Why does Jack stop?
(a) He is preparing to box.
(b) He is tired of arguing.
(c) He walks out of the room.
(d) He is concerned that watching him is too rough for Ellie.
5. When does Goldie say the fight is scheduled?
(a) Labor Day.
(b) Fourth of July.
(c) Easter Sunday.
(d) Memorial Day.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jack respond when Smitty asks whether Jack really thinks he can win?
2. What does an extremely well-spoken black man say about Jack's behavior?
3. Why does Cap'n Dan tell Brady the whole country is going to feel let down?
4. What does Ellie sleepily imagine?
5. About what does Jack realize she is talking?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)