Act 1, Scene 1
• The play begins with an argument over whether Brady, the current white heavyweight boxing champion, should fight an up-and-coming black boxer.
• Brady at first rejects the idea but faces intense pressure from Fred, Cap'n Dan, and Smitty.
• A reporter comments that Brady is the White Hope, saying that every paper in the country is calling him that.
• Cap'n Dan convinces him to fight, and the fight is set for Reno, Nevada.
• Goldie and Fred shake hands as Brady makes racist comments about how he's looking forward to a win.
• Fred takes Goldie aside and reassures him that Brady doesn't mean them, adding that he's making them just to attract a crowd.
• As Goldie exits, Cap'n Dan tells the reporters he wishes they wouldn't refer to Brady as a hope.
Act 1, Scene 2
• As Jack shadow boxes, he's watched by Tick, his black trainer, and Ellie, his white...
This section contains 3,641 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)