|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who runs the Pocket's household?
2. How long is Pip indentured to Joe?
3. What is Pip's Christian name?
4. What profession does Mr. Wopsle hope to pursue?
5. Where does Pip stay on his first day away from the marshes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pip see when he first visits Mr. Jaggers's office?
2. What causes Mrs. Pocket to burst into tears when Pip first meets her?
3. Why does Pip not tell Joe about his experience with the convict?
4. What do Joe and Biddy do as Pip leaves, and why?
5. What happens when Pip is challenged to a fight at Miss Havisham's house?
6. What does Herbert tell Pip about Miss Havisham?
7. How does Pip feel when he is indentured to Joe?
8. What does Pip learn about Joe when he writes him a letter?
9. About what does Pip read in the newspaper when he is visiting Estella?
10. What happens when Orlick gets jealous of Pip's day off from work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety are two themes that are touched upon a number of times throughout this book. What are some of these instances, and how do they affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things they would not normally have done. What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)