|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what does Pip push Miss Havisham?
2. How much older than Pip is his sister?
3. What does Wemmick call his father?
4. Where does Pip go first on his day off from the forge?
5. What does Herbert tell Pip to do when Pip says he is in love with Estella?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pip say to Biddy when he takes her out on the marshes?
2. How is Mr. Wemick described in his office setting?
3. What does Herbert tell Pip about Miss Havisham?
4. What surprising event does Pip see on a handbill when he returns to London after visiting Estella?
5. What does Pip do on his first visit to Miss Havisham's house that leads Estella to scorn him?
6. What does Pip bring to the escaped convict after going to his sister's house to find supplies?
7. What happens when Pip is challenged to a fight at Miss Havisham's house?
8. What does Mrs. Joe have Pip and Joe do when Pip returns from helping the convict?
9. What happens when Orlick gets jealous of Pip's day off from work?
10. How does Pip feel when he is indentured to Joe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things they would not normally have done. What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal is a theme introduced at the very beginning of this book. How does the constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Dickens have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)