|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Herbert love?
2. Where does Drummle grow up?
3. What does Pip have trouble reading when he is a young child?
4. What profession does Mr. Wopsle hope to pursue?
5. Where does Pip meet an escaped convict?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Jaggers discuss with Pip when they meet on Pip's twenty-first birthday?
2. How does Pip feel about his sister's injury, and who does he think caused it?
3. Into what kind of trouble does Herbert start to get himself, and how can Pip help him?
4. What question does Miss Havisham ask Pip every time he goes to her house?
5. What does Magwitch say when Pip meets him at Clara's house?
6. What does Estella ask from Pip at the end of the book?
7. Where is Pip living at the end of the book?
8. What does Pip learn about Joe when he writes him a letter?
9. About what does Drummle brag when he sees Pip at the Blue Boar?
10. What does Orlick plan to do with Pip when he meets him on the marshes, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Biddy is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways in which her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What might have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book? How do these instances affect that characters involved in the scenes?
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)