|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Drummle grow up?
2. Who makes Pip despise his surroundings?
3. What does Pip add to the brandy to disguise the missing portion?
4. Who does Pip avoid when he goes home from London for the first time?
5. How often does Pip go to Miss Havisham's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pip see when he first visits Mr. Jaggers's office?
2. About what does Pip read in the newspaper when he is visiting Estella?
3. What happens when Pip goes to find Joe at a local tavern after his first day at Miss Havisham's house?
4. What causes Mrs. Pocket to burst into tears when Pip first meets her?
5. What does Pip tell his sister he does at Miss Havisham's house when he comes back for the first time?
6. What does Herbert tell Pip about Miss Havisham?
7. How does Pip feel when he is indentured to Joe?
8. What does the convict do with the file Pip brought to him?
9. What causes Pip to be so ashamed of his apprenticeship?
10. What does Pip say to Biddy when he takes her out on the marshes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Biddy is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways in which her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What might have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety are two themes that are touched upon a number of times throughout this book. What are some of these instances, and how do they affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)