|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Belinda Pocket think she will be as she is growing up?
2. What does Estella do before Pip leaves her house for the second time?
3. Where does Pip celebrate his being indentured to Joe?
4. Pip is given a tour of what place on his first day away from the marshes?
5. Why does Pip lie to his sister about Miss Havisham?
Short Essay Questions
1. Towards what profession is Pip's education leading when he first visits with Mattew Pocket?
2. What happens when Pip is challenged to a fight at Miss Havisham's house?
3. What does the convict say to keep Pip out of trouble when he is found on the marshes?
4. What does Herbert tell Pip about Miss Havisham?
5. How does Pip feel about his sister's injury, and who does he think caused it?
6. What causes Mrs. Pocket to burst into tears when Pip first meets her?
7. What does the escaped convict say to Pip when they first meet?
8. What do Joe and Biddy do as Pip leaves, and why?
9. What is Mr. Wemmick like when he leaves work?
10. What question does Miss Havisham ask Pip every time he goes to her house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Jaggers and Mr. Wemmick are two characters who are very similar in their professional vocations, but are markedly different in other ways. Use some examples from the text to compare and contrast these two dynamic characters.
Essay Topic 3
Revenge is a theme of this book that is very important to many of the characters involved. Where does this theme of revenge present itself and how do these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)