Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pip lie to his sister about Miss Havisham?
2. Who visits Mrs. Joe while she is incapacitated from her injury?
3. Who moves into the Gargery's house after Pip's sister is injured?
4. From whom is Pip supposed to get his money in London?
5. What is the name of the lawyer in the tavern when the people are all talking about the murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mr. Wemick described in his office setting?
2. Why does Pip see Orlick at Miss Havisham's estate?
3. What kind of injuries does Magwitch sustain when he is arrested?
4. What does Orlick plan to do with Pip when he meets him on the marshes, and why?
5. What disturbing news does Pip hear while at a club meeting?
6. For whom is Herbert going to be working, and what will he be doing?
7. What does Pip learn when he wakes up after being arrested?
8. What happens when Pip goes to find Joe at a local tavern after his first day at Miss Havisham's house?
9. What does the convict do with the file Pip brought to him?
10. What does Magwitch say when Pip meets him at Clara's house?
Betrayal is a theme introduced at the very beginning of this book. How does the constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters are most affected by it?
Biddy is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways in which her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What might have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Mr. Jaggers and Mr. Wemmick are two characters who are very similar in their professional vocations, but are markedly different in other ways. Use some examples from the text to compare and contrast these two dynamic characters.
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)