|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom is Pip supposed to get his money in London?
2. What does Pip do with the young girl on his first visit to Miss Havisham's house?
3. Miss Havisham's estate is adjacent to what?
4. In whom does Jaggers take an immediate interest when Pip and his schoolmates dine with him?
5. What is the name of the lawyer in the tavern when the people are all talking about the murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Pip to be so ashamed of his apprenticeship?
2. What does the convict do with the file Pip brought to him?
3. What does the convict say to keep Pip out of trouble when he is found on the marshes?
4. What happens when Pip is challenged to a fight at Miss Havisham's house?
5. How is Mr. Wemick described in his office setting?
6. How does Pip feel about his sister's injury, and who does he think caused it?
7. What does Pip tell his sister he does at Miss Havisham's house when he comes back for the first time?
8. What surprising event does Pip see on a handbill when he returns to London after visiting Estella?
9. How does Pip feel when he is indentured to Joe?
10. What causes Mrs. Pocket to burst into tears when Pip first meets her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love is a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot, and why?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book? How do these instances affect that characters involved in the scenes?
Essay Topic 3
How does Pip's relationship with Estella change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)