|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Joe asked to do when his Christmas dinner is interrupted?
2. How long is Pip indentured to Joe?
3. What song does Pip sing for Miss Havisham?
4. What is the name of Joe's journeyman?
5. Who is the first person Pip sees when he goes to Miss Havisham's estate while home from London for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Mrs. Pocket to burst into tears when Pip first meets her?
2. What does the convict say to keep Pip out of trouble when he is found on the marshes?
3. How does Pip feel when he is indentured to Joe?
4. What does Pip bring to the escaped convict after going to his sister's house to find supplies?
5. What do Joe and Biddy do as Pip leaves, and why?
6. What does Herbert tell Pip about Miss Havisham?
7. What does Pip learn about Joe when he writes him a letter?
8. What does Pip say to Biddy when he takes her out on the marshes?
9. What happens when Pip goes to find Joe at a local tavern after his first day at Miss Havisham's house?
10. What does Mrs. Joe have Pip and Joe do when Pip returns from helping the convict?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choosing sides is a theme that is presented in this book. What are some examples of this theme, and how does it affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Revenge is a theme of this book that is very important to many of the characters involved. Where does this theme of revenge present itself and how do these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Love is a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot, and why?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)