Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pip lie to his sister about Miss Havisham?
2. Who visits Mrs. Joe while she is incapacitated from her injury?
3. Who moves into the Gargery's house after Pip's sister is injured?
4. From whom is Pip supposed to get his money in London?
5. What is the name of the lawyer in the tavern when the people are all talking about the murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mr. Wemick described in his office setting?
2. Why does Pip see Orlick at Miss Havisham's estate?
3. What kind of injuries does Magwitch sustain when he is arrested?
4. What does Orlick plan to do with Pip when he meets him on the marshes, and why?
5. What disturbing news does Pip hear while at a club meeting?
6. For whom is Herbert going to be working, and what will he be doing?
7. What does Pip learn when he wakes up after being arrested?
8. What happens when Pip goes to find Joe at a local tavern after his first day at Miss Havisham's house?
9. What does the convict do with the file Pip brought to him?
10. What does Magwitch say when Pip meets him at Clara's house?
Essay Topic 1
Despair is a theme that is found in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
Biddy is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways in which her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What might have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Love is a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot, and why?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)