|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Towards what profession is Pip heading in his schooling?
2. What is Joe's profession?
3. Where has Pip previously met his roommate in London?
4. Where does Pip go first on his day off from the forge?
5. What is the name of the young lady Pip meets at Miss Havisham's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pip bring to the escaped convict after going to his sister's house to find supplies?
2. What does Herbert tell Pip about Miss Havisham?
3. What does Pip learn when he wakes up after being arrested?
4. Why does Pip see Orlick at Miss Havisham's estate?
5. What does Mr. Jaggers do when Mr. Wemmick challenges him to tell Pip the truth about Estella's birth?
6. How does Mr. Wemmick treat his maid?
7. How does Pip feel when he is indentured to Joe?
8. What happens when Pip is challenged to a fight at Miss Havisham's house?
9. How is Mr. Wemick described in his office setting?
10. What does the escaped convict say to Pip when they first meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choosing sides is a theme that is presented in this book. What are some examples of this theme, and how does it affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
With which character do you relate the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Biddy is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways in which her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What might have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 1,272 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)