|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pip tell his sister he was doing when he comes home after helping the convict?
2. How much older than Pip is his sister?
3. What does the lawyer in the tavern tell Pip he must call himself in order to capitalize on his strange fortune?
4. Why does Pip lie to his sister about Miss Havisham?
5. What is Mrs. Joe unable to do after her injury?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pip see when he first visits Mr. Jaggers's office?
2. What happens when Pip goes to find Joe at a local tavern after his first day at Miss Havisham's house?
3. What does Pip learn about Joe when he writes him a letter?
4. How does Pip feel when he is indentured to Joe?
5. What causes Pip to be so ashamed of his apprenticeship?
6. What does Pip do on his first visit to Miss Havisham's house that leads Estella to scorn him?
7. About what does Pip read in the newspaper when he is visiting Estella?
8. What causes Mrs. Pocket to burst into tears when Pip first meets her?
9. What question does Miss Havisham ask Pip every time he goes to her house?
10. What does the convict say to keep Pip out of trouble when he is found on the marshes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things they would not normally have done. What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
How does Pip's relationship with Estella change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)