|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What song does Pip sing for Miss Havisham?
2. Who moves into the Gargery's house after Pip's sister is injured?
3. Why does Pip not tell Joe about his experience with the convict?
4. At what time are all the clocks in Miss Havisham's house stopped?
5. How often does Pip go to Miss Havisham's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the convict say to keep Pip out of trouble when he is found on the marshes?
2. What causes Pip to be so ashamed of his apprenticeship?
3. How is Mr. Wemick described in his office setting?
4. What does Pip say to Biddy when he takes her out on the marshes?
5. What does Pip do on his first visit to Miss Havisham's house that leads Estella to scorn him?
6. What does Pip learn about Joe when he writes him a letter?
7. What does Herbert tell Pip about Miss Havisham?
8. What does the escaped convict say to Pip when they first meet?
9. What does Pip see when he first visits Mr. Jaggers's office?
10. What do Joe and Biddy do as Pip leaves, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair is a theme that is found in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Pip endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)