|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Belinda Pocket think she will be as she is growing up?
2. What is the name of Pip's roommate in London?
3. At what time are all the clocks in Miss Havisham's house stopped?
4. Pip is given a tour of what place on his first day away from the marshes?
5. In whom does Jaggers take an immediate interest when Pip and his schoolmates dine with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Molly look like?
2. What does Pip tell his sister he does at Miss Havisham's house when he comes back for the first time?
3. Why does Pip not tell Joe about his experience with the convict?
4. What does Pip learn about Joe when he writes him a letter?
5. How does Pip feel about his sister's injury, and who does he think caused it?
6. What causes Pip to be so ashamed of his apprenticeship?
7. What does the convict do with the file Pip brought to him?
8. What happens when Pip is challenged to a fight at Miss Havisham's house?
9. How does Joe feel when he visits Pip in London?
10. What surprising event does Pip see on a handbill when he returns to London after visiting Estella?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Dickens have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Despair is a theme that is found in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)