|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pip think injured his sister?
2. In whom does Jaggers take an immediate interest when Pip and his schoolmates dine with him?
3. Who does Herbert love?
4. What does Herbert tell Pip to do when Pip says he is in love with Estella?
5. Who does Pip think will be waiting for him at his house after helping the convict?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pip feel when he is indentured to Joe?
2. What does Herbert tell Pip about Miss Havisham?
3. What does Mrs. Joe have Pip and Joe do when Pip returns from helping the convict?
4. About what does Pip read in the newspaper when he is visiting Estella?
5. What does the convict do with the file Pip brought to him?
6. What does the escaped convict say to Pip when they first meet?
7. What do Joe and Biddy do as Pip leaves, and why?
8. What does Molly look like?
9. What does the convict say to keep Pip out of trouble when he is found on the marshes?
10. What does Pip tell his sister he does at Miss Havisham's house when he comes back for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Dickens have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety are two themes that are touched upon a number of times throughout this book. What are some of these instances, and how do they affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Revenge is a theme of this book that is very important to many of the characters involved. Where does this theme of revenge present itself and how do these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)