|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Belinda Pocket think she will be as she is growing up?
2. What is the name of the lawyer in the tavern when the people are all talking about the murder?
3. In whom does Jaggers take an immediate interest when Pip and his schoolmates dine with him?
4. What does Pip's roommate in London teach him on their first night together?
5. What does Miss Havisham give to Pip when he visits her after his sister's injury?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the convict say to keep Pip out of trouble when he is found on the marshes?
2. Towards what profession is Pip's education leading when he first visits with Mattew Pocket?
3. What does Pip say to Biddy when he takes her out on the marshes?
4. What does Pip see when he first visits Mr. Jaggers's office?
5. Why does Pip not tell Joe about his experience with the convict?
6. What is Mr. Wemmick like when he leaves work?
7. What causes Mrs. Pocket to burst into tears when Pip first meets her?
8. What happens when Orlick gets jealous of Pip's day off from work?
9. What does Molly look like?
10. What does Pip do on his first visit to Miss Havisham's house that leads Estella to scorn him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love is a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Choosing sides is a theme that is presented in this book. What are some examples of this theme, and how does it affect the characters involved?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)