|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pip think injured his sister?
2. What is the name of the tavern that Joe frequents?
3. Where does Pip go to become a gentleman?
4. What does Belinda Pocket think she will be as she is growing up?
5. Who teaches Pip the alphabet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Pip to be so ashamed of his apprenticeship?
2. What does the escaped convict say to Pip when they first meet?
3. What does Mrs. Joe have Pip and Joe do when Pip returns from helping the convict?
4. How does Joe feel when he visits Pip in London?
5. What surprising event does Pip see on a handbill when he returns to London after visiting Estella?
6. What happens when Pip is challenged to a fight at Miss Havisham's house?
7. How is Mr. Wemick described in his office setting?
8. Why does Pip not tell Joe about his experience with the convict?
9. What does the convict say to keep Pip out of trouble when he is found on the marshes?
10. What happens when Orlick gets jealous of Pip's day off from work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things they would not normally have done. What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal is a theme introduced at the very beginning of this book. How does the constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)