|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pip think injured his sister?
2. Where does Pip go first on his day off from the forge?
3. What is the name of Pip's servant?
4. What does the lawyer in the tavern tell Pip he must call himself in order to capitalize on his strange fortune?
5. Who does Pip tell Jaggers he distrusts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Joe and Biddy do as Pip leaves, and why?
2. How is Mr. Wemick described in his office setting?
3. What does Pip tell his sister he does at Miss Havisham's house when he comes back for the first time?
4. Why does Pip see Orlick at Miss Havisham's estate?
5. What does Mrs. Joe have Pip and Joe do when Pip returns from helping the convict?
6. Towards what profession is Pip's education leading when he first visits with Mattew Pocket?
7. Why does Pip not tell Joe about his experience with the convict?
8. What causes Mrs. Pocket to burst into tears when Pip first meets her?
9. What causes Pip to be so ashamed of his apprenticeship?
10. What does Herbert tell Pip about Miss Havisham?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Pip's relationship with Estella change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things they would not normally have done. What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)