|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pip lie to his sister about Miss Havisham?
2. What does Pip add to the brandy to disguise the missing portion?
3. What does Pip's sister call the cane she uses to beat Pip?
4. What is the convict doing when Pip delivers some goods to him?
5. What is Joe asked to do when his Christmas dinner is interrupted?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pip feel when he is indentured to Joe?
2. What does Pip tell his sister he does at Miss Havisham's house when he comes back for the first time?
3. What happens when Orlick gets jealous of Pip's day off from work?
4. What does Pip bring to the escaped convict after going to his sister's house to find supplies?
5. How does Pip feel about his sister's injury, and who does he think caused it?
6. What question does Miss Havisham ask Pip every time he goes to her house?
7. What is Mr. Wemmick like when he leaves work?
8. What does Pip say to Biddy when he takes her out on the marshes?
9. What does Pip see when he first visits Mr. Jaggers's office?
10. What does Herbert tell Pip about Miss Havisham?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love is a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Despair is a theme that is found in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Jaggers and Mr. Wemmick are two characters who are very similar in their professional vocations, but are markedly different in other ways. Use some examples from the text to compare and contrast these two dynamic characters.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)