|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miss Havisham's estate is adjacent to what?
2. Who does Pip avoid when he goes home from London for the first time?
3. What does Pip's roommate in London teach him on their first night together?
4. How often does Pip go to Miss Havisham's house?
5. Who does Pip think injured his sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. About what does Pip read in the newspaper when he is visiting Estella?
2. What causes Mrs. Pocket to burst into tears when Pip first meets her?
3. What does Pip see when he first visits Mr. Jaggers's office?
4. What is Mr. Wemmick like when he leaves work?
5. Why does Pip see Orlick at Miss Havisham's estate?
6. Towards what profession is Pip's education leading when he first visits with Mattew Pocket?
7. What happens when Pip goes to find Joe at a local tavern after his first day at Miss Havisham's house?
8. What question does Miss Havisham ask Pip every time he goes to her house?
9. How does Joe feel when he visits Pip in London?
10. What causes Pip to be so ashamed of his apprenticeship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With which character do you relate the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things they would not normally have done. What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Biddy is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways in which her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What might have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)