|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is peculiar about the younger convict who Pip sees?
2. Who runs the Pocket's household?
3. Where does Pip meet an escaped convict?
4. What is Jaggers doing when Pip goes to ask him for some money for furniture?
5. Miss Havisham's estate is adjacent to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pip bring to the escaped convict after going to his sister's house to find supplies?
2. What causes Mrs. Pocket to burst into tears when Pip first meets her?
3. How does Pip feel about his sister's injury, and who does he think caused it?
4. What does Pip see when he first visits Mr. Jaggers's office?
5. How does Pip feel when he is indentured to Joe?
6. What does Pip tell his sister he does at Miss Havisham's house when he comes back for the first time?
7. What question does Miss Havisham ask Pip every time he goes to her house?
8. How does Joe feel when he visits Pip in London?
9. What do Joe and Biddy do as Pip leaves, and why?
10. What does Herbert tell Pip about Miss Havisham?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things they would not normally have done. What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)