|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the main character in 'A Gentle Spirit' have to lure the girl to do?
2. Who does the girl in 'A Gentle Spirit' work for?
3. How long did the couple go in near silence?
4. Who does the man in 'The Dream of a Ridiculous Man' tell the person tugging at him to get help from?
5. What does NOT happen on holidays in 'The Peasant Marey'?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the wedding in 'An Unpleasant Predicament' ruined?
2. What are some of the things that keep the man in 'The Dream of a Ridiculous Man' from killing himself?
3. What sits constantly on the man's table in 'The Dream of a Ridiculous Man'?
4. How does the girl nearly kill her husband?
5. What do the aunts want to do with the girl in 'A Gentle Spirit', and how does she feel about this?
6. How does the narrator of 'The Heavenly Christmas Tree' introduce himself?
7. How does the man playing cards with the wife of the man inside the crocodile treat her?
8. What do people tell the wife of the man in the Crocodile choose to do about her situation?
9. What did the girl in 'A Gentle Spirit' hope to accomplish by meeting with a young lieutenant?
10. What stopped the man in 'The Dream of a Ridiculous Man' from wanting to be suicidal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which people were most motivated by them in these stories?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in these stories. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in these plots?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the people touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the stories, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)