|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is 'The Peasant Marey' narrated?
2. What is ruined because of drinking in 'An Unpleasant Predicament'?
3. What is tolerated on holidays in 'The Peasant Marey'?
4. What did the pawnbroker regret after his wife's death?
5. What does the man in 'The Dream of a Ridiculous Man' feel compelled to do after a strange dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sits constantly on the man's table in 'The Dream of a Ridiculous Man'?
2. What does the main character in 'A Gentle Spirit' say the girl would need in a husband, and why?
3. How was the wedding in 'An Unpleasant Predicament' ruined?
4. What happens to the scared little boy in 'The Heavenly Christmas Tree'?
5. What are some of the things that keep the man in 'The Dream of a Ridiculous Man' from killing himself?
6. What do the aunts want to do with the girl in 'A Gentle Spirit', and how does she feel about this?
7. How does the girl nearly kill her husband?
8. What does the boy in 'The Heavenly Christmas Tree' see while he is hiding?
9. What did the girl in 'A Gentle Spirit' hope to accomplish by meeting with a young lieutenant?
10. How does the man playing cards with the wife of the man inside the crocodile treat her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Russian Government was a key factor in many of these plots. What were some of the main features of this government style, and which characters were most affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the people involved?
Essay Topic 3
What were the angels who helped the boy who froze to death, and how did the dying boy feel about them?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)