|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a frock?
2. Who labeled the girl's husband?
3. What tool does the pawnbroker use to cultivate his wife?
4. What do the men say bring great joy in 'An Unpleasant Predicament'?
5. How old was the man the girl married in 'A Gentle Spirit'?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the wedding in 'An Unpleasant Predicament' ruined?
2. How does the girl nearly kill her husband?
3. How did the pawnbroker discipline his wife for her misdeeds in the days before her death?
4. What affects does alcohol have on the men in 'An Unpleasant Predicament'?
5. How does the narrator of 'The Heavenly Christmas Tree' introduce himself?
6. How does the husband of the girl punish her for a bad trade?
7. How did the pawnbroker say that he became successful in business?
8. What does the main character in 'A Gentle Spirit' say gave him the upper-hand in his situation?
9. What stopped the man in 'The Dream of a Ridiculous Man' from wanting to be suicidal?
10. What does the main character in 'A Gentle Spirit' say the girl would need in a husband, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freedom was a crucial theme and symbol in this book. How was this theme presented, and how did its place in these plots affect the main people in these stories?
Essay Topic 2
Power and Greed were two common themes in these stories. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the people involved?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)