|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men say bring great joy in 'An Unpleasant Predicament'?
2. What did Dostoyevsky say made mood changes more dramatic in 'An Unpleasant Predicament'?
3. What title do the men meeting in 'An Unpleasant Predicament' have?
4. What talent did the narrator say the girl in 'A Gentle Spirit' had?
5. What month does 'The Crocodile & Bobok' begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Mr. Pralinsky raised?
2. What does the main character in 'A Gentle Spirit' say gave him the upper-hand in his situation?
3. Why was the girl's husband removed from his station?
4. What does the main character in 'A Gentle Spirit' say the girl would need in a husband, and why?
5. What sits constantly on the man's table in 'The Dream of a Ridiculous Man'?
6. How does the narrator of 'The Heavenly Christmas Tree' introduce himself?
7. What did the man in 'The Dream of a Ridiculous Man' say about the church going people?
8. What kind thing does the girl in 'A Gentle Spirit' say about her aunts?
9. How did the pawnbroker discipline his wife for her misdeeds in the days before her death?
10. Who does the pawn broker turn to for comfort after his wife dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Honor was something that many of the main people were striving for in these stories. Who was most affected by this pursuit, and how did it change the course of the plot they were involved in?
Essay Topic 2
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which people were most motivated by them in these stories?
Essay Topic 3
The Russian Government was a key factor in many of these plots. What were some of the main features of this government style, and which characters were most affected by it?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)