|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Katerina blame for her mother's death?
2. What is the boy told to do the morning after the party?
3. Who is the main character in 'Mr. Prohartchin'?
4. What was the Rag known to do on a regular basis?
5. What is Shumkov's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Yulian treated the way he was in 'A Christmas Tree & A Wedding, White Nights'?
2. What is the woman who Yulian wants interested most in?
3. What does Ivanitch find out about Pyotr's wife?
4. What happened when Ivan went into the room of a strange woman?
5. What does the younger man in 'Another Man's Wife' confess to doing and why?
6. What did Ordynov realize about Katerina and the old man after his relationship with her had ended?
7. How did Ordynov change after his relationship with Katerina had ended?
8. Why is the woman Yulian is interested in not attainable at the time?
9. How does the old man get Katerina to stay with him?
10. How does 'A Christmas Tree & A Wedding, White Nights' begin and end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A few of these stories were satirical in nature. Which of these stories were satires, and what elements of society were being discussed and revealed in those stories?
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity was one of the main themes in many of the stories included in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in these stories change the style of the narration?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in almost all of these stories. Who were the people most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)