|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Katerina's mother describe her real father?
2. Why does Murin say he needs Katerina?
3. What is the main character of 'Mr. Prohartchin' very vocal about?
4. Who translated these stories into English?
5. Who is with Mr. Prohartchin when he dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ivanitch find out about Pyotr's wife?
2. Why does Dostoyevsky say babies are born knowing to cry?
3. Why did the translator warn people against reading too many of Dostoyevsky's works in succession?
4. Why does Katerina sho so much restraint while with Ordynov at the beginning of the second part of 'The Land Lady'?
5. What happens when the boy rides a pony?
6. Why did Ivan go to the theater in 'Another Man's Wife'?
7. Why did Dostoyevsky vary the sentence length in his writing?
8. What kind of emotions are effectively described in 'A Little Hero'?
9. How does 'Polzunkov' end?
10. What is evident about Ivanitch through his letters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in these stories and where does it appear? How are the plots altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
A few of these stories were satirical in nature. Which of these stories were satires, and what elements of society were being discussed and revealed in those stories?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that people involved in those scenes?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)