|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Shumkov's first name?
2. What is the occupation of the men in 'A Faint Heart'?
3. What is the child in 'A Little Hero' experiencing at the beginning of the story?
4. What is the name of Schpies's daughter?
5. What did the author say curbed the wonderful nature of Schpies's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the older man doing in 'Another Man's Wife'?
2. What kind of emotions are effectively described in 'A Little Hero'?
3. Why does Katerina sho so much restraint while with Ordynov at the beginning of the second part of 'The Land Lady'?
4. How does the old man get Katerina to stay with him?
5. What does Murin have Ordynov do when he tells him about his marriage to Katerina?
6. Why was Yulian treated the way he was in 'A Christmas Tree & A Wedding, White Nights'?
7. Why did the translator warn people against reading too many of Dostoyevsky's works in succession?
8. What does the younger man in 'Another Man's Wife' confess to doing and why?
9. What is the woman who Yulian wants interested most in?
10. How does 'A Christmas Tree & A Wedding, White Nights' begin and end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Russian Government was a key factor in many of these plots. What were some of the main features of this government style, and which characters were most affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
Power and Greed were two common themes in these stories. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
A few of these stories were satirical in nature. Which of these stories were satires, and what elements of society were being discussed and revealed in those stories?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)