Book 1, The Short Stories : Chapter 1, Mr. Prohartchin & A Novel in Nine Letters
• Mr. Prohartchin is an old man who has been at a boarding house for 20 years. He and the landlady are very close.
• He complains about how little money he has, and gets lower rent rates than his housemates.
• He sends money to his sister-in-law on a regular basis.
• At his death, his housemates surround him. They are fond of him. After his death they find a great deal of money in his mattress.
• They are angry about him taking advantage of the landlady, and refuse to send any of the money to his sister-in-law.
• They all feel suspicious of each other after this knowing that they can be taken advantage of so easily.
• In 'A Novel in Nine Letters' Ivanitch has been looking for his friend who he cares about deeply.
• He finds out his wife...
This section contains 2,134 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)