|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Marya after her marriage to Sergey?
2. What is Dmitri's relation with Maryanka?
3. What is the relationship between Christian Cossacks and Muslim Tartars?
4. Who is Eugene Irtenev?
5. What are Ivan Ilych's symptoms of the illness that kills him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ivan Ilych change when he begins to make money?
2. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks?
3. How does Tolstoy describe Eugene Irtenev's marriage with Liza Annenskaya?
4. How does Dmitri go about confessing his love to Maryanka?
5. What role do Liza Annenskaya's pregnancies play in "The Devil"?
6. Which ending of "The Devil" seems to be preferable?
7. What does Marya think about her marriage at first?
8. How does Praskovya Federovna's bad temper affect Ivan Ilych?
9. What is Marya Alexandrovna's situation at the beginning of "Family Happiness"?
10. What causes Sergey and Marya's relationship to blossom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do characters in three of Tolstoy's stories handle depression? What is it typically caused by, and what are the effective solutions to it?
Essay Topic 2
What epiphanies do Tolstoy's characters have, and what do they learn from them? Is Tolstoy consistent in the kinds of things his characters learn, or is he using his characters to elicit feelings or epiphanies in the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Late in life, Tolstoy abjured private possessions and advocated communes. Does the Tolstoy of the stories value worldly possessions less than other kinds of things? Where are worldly possessions in Tolstoy's value scale? Analyze three stories and describe Tolstoy's views.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)