|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolstoy describe Dmitri's thoughts about love?
2. Why did Liza Annenskaya hire Stepanida?
3. How does Ivan Ilych begin his career?
4. What does Marya find after she gives birth?
5. How does Tolstoy describe Marya and Sergey's feelings for each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Marya and Sergey to get beyond their jealousies?
2. What intrudes to make Marya unhappy?
3. How does Tolstoy describe Eugene Irtenev's marriage with Liza Annenskaya?
4. What does Dmitri Olenin think he will find in the Caucasus?
5. What is the relationship between the Grebensk Cossacks and the Muslim Tartars?
6. What causes Sergey and Marya's relationship to blossom?
7. What happens in the first ambush Lukashka sets up?
8. What causes Marya's depression?
9. How does Ivan Ilych change when he begins to make money?
10. When do Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna finally arrive at a truce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on evidence from three stories of your choice, describe Tolstoy's view of religion and spirituality. What kind of God does Tolstoy invoke in his stories? What religion informs this divinity?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze three stories and describe Tolstoy's views on illness. How does illness function in a narrative sense, in the stories? How does it function in a philosophical sense, as a counterweight to spiritual truths?
Essay Topic 3
What is Tolstoy's relation with his characters and the events he describes? Is he a sympathetic narrator, or does he distance himself from his characters' thoughts and actions?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)