|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Maryanka's response when Dmitri asks her whether they can marry?
2. What do Marya's boredom and depression turn into?
3. What was Ivan Ilych's salary on the Court of Justice?
4. What does Ivan Ilych ultimately realize about his wife?
5. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych's mood changed during his illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role do Liza Annenskaya's pregnancies play in "The Devil"?
2. How does illness affect Ivan Ilych?
3. What does Marya think about her marriage at first?
4. How has Marya's attitude about marriage changed by the end of the story?
5. What does Ivan Ilych learn on his deathbed?
6. How does Dmitri go about confessing his love to Maryanka?
7. What does Dmitri Olenin think he will find in the Caucasus?
8. Which ending of "The Devil" seems to be preferable?
9. Describe the circumstances of Lukashka's death.
10. What is Marya Alexandrovna's situation at the beginning of "Family Happiness"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do characters in three of Tolstoy's stories handle depression? What is it typically caused by, and what are the effective solutions to it?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of Tolstoy himself, based on his writing. What kinds of information do his themes provide for you?
Essay Topic 3
How does Tolstoy see marriage? Analyze marriages in three stories, and describe the uses, benefits and disadvantages of marriage in Tolstoy's writing.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)