|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ivan Ilych begin his career?
2. Why did Liza Annenskaya hire Stepanida?
3. Who is Sergey Mikhaylych?
4. What is the relationship between Christian Cossacks and Muslim Tartars?
5. What did Ivan Ilych do when he took his second position?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which ending of "The Devil" seems to be preferable?
2. How does illness affect Ivan Ilych?
3. What happens to end the truce between Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna?
4. What torments Eugene Irtenev, and how does he plan to end his suffering?
5. What is the relationship between the Grebensk Cossacks and the Muslim Tartars?
6. How does Dmitri go about confessing his love to Maryanka?
7. What causes Marya and Sergey to get beyond their jealousies?
8. What kinds of problems does Ivan Ilych have with Praskovya Federovna, his wife?
9. What does Dmitri Olenin think he will find in the Caucasus?
10. What role do Liza Annenskaya's pregnancies play in "The Devil"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Tolstoy's relation with his characters and the events he describes? Is he a sympathetic narrator, or does he distance himself from his characters' thoughts and actions?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze morality in three of Tolstoy's stories. What is Tolstoy's view of morality? Is it innate, or the result of decisions?
Essay Topic 3
What is the state of civilization in the Russia of these stories? Are they modern, agricultural, primitive? What kinds of conflicts are taking place over the state of culture or progress? How do those conflicts reveal 'Russian culture'?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)