Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ivan Ilych do in his second job?
2. Why does Dmitri go to the Caucasus?
3. What does Dmitri dream about on his way to the Caucasus?
4. How does Tolstoy describe conjugal relations with Eugene Irtenev and his wife?
5. When did Dmitri believe a barrier was broken between himself and Maryanka?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Praskovya Federovna's bad temper affect Ivan Ilych?
2. What happens the first time Nikita and Vasili get off the road?
3. Describe Pozdnyshev's marriage.
4. What causes Marya's depression?
5. When do Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna finally arrive at a truce?
6. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks?
7. How did Father Sergius come to be sent to Siberia?
8. How does Dmitri go about confessing his love to Maryanka?
9. Describe the circumstances of Lukashka's death.
10. What happens to Vasili and Nikita after they set out from Grishkino?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze morality in three of Tolstoy's stories. What is Tolstoy's view of morality? Is it innate, or the result of decisions?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze three stories and describe Tolstoy's views on illness. How does illness function in a narrative sense, in the stories? How does it function in a philosophical sense, as a counterweight to spiritual truths?
Essay Topic 3
What is the state of civilization in the Russia of these stories? Are they modern, agricultural, primitive? What kinds of conflicts are taking place over the state of culture or progress? How do those conflicts reveal 'Russian culture'?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)