|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tolstoy say Dmitri hopes to find in the Caucasus?
2. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych's mood changed during his illness?
3. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks descended from?
4. How long was Ivan Ilych in his position before he was appointed to the position of public prosecutor in another town?
5. How does Marya see herself in relation to Sergey, once she begins to be depressed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks?
2. What causes Marya's depression?
3. What is the relationship between the Grebensk Cossacks and the Muslim Tartars?
4. What causes Marya and Sergey to get beyond their jealousies?
5. Describe the promotions Ivan Ilych receives.
6. How does Praskovya Federovna's bad temper affect Ivan Ilych?
7. What role do Liza Annenskaya's pregnancies play in "The Devil"?
8. Who is Eugene Irtenev and where does he live at the beginning of the story?
9. What torments Eugene Irtenev, and how does he plan to end his suffering?
10. How does illness affect Ivan Ilych?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Tolstoy treat the relationship between Russians and others--Chechen, Tartars, Cossacks, Turks? What make Russians Russian? What distinguishes them from the others, and what is the basis for hostility when there his hostility? What stance does Tolstoy take in presenting these relationships? (Sympathetic, critical, nationalistic?)
Essay Topic 2
Is Tolstoy's literary universe a chaotic one, as people say modern life is chaotic or random--or is it organized around some law or consistency? What law Tolstoy's fictional world organized around?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of Tolstoy himself, based on his writing. What kinds of information do his themes provide for you?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)