Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ivan Ilych do in his second job?
2. Why does Dmitri go to the Caucasus?
3. What does Dmitri dream about on his way to the Caucasus?
4. How does Tolstoy describe conjugal relations with Eugene Irtenev and his wife?
5. When did Dmitri believe a barrier was broken between himself and Maryanka?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Praskovya Federovna's bad temper affect Ivan Ilych?
2. What happens the first time Nikita and Vasili get off the road?
3. Describe Pozdnyshev's marriage.
4. What causes Marya's depression?
5. When do Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna finally arrive at a truce?
6. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks?
7. How did Father Sergius come to be sent to Siberia?
8. How does Dmitri go about confessing his love to Maryanka?
9. Describe the circumstances of Lukashka's death.
10. What happens to Vasili and Nikita after they set out from Grishkino?
Essay Topic 1
What kind of struggle does Marya expect from marriage, and what kind of struggle does she end up having to endure? Describe the significance of struggle in "Family Happiness".
Essay Topic 2
How does the theme of the child function in "Family Happiness"? Who acts like a child? How do actual children affect the characters?
Essay Topic 3
To what extent are Tolstoy's stories allegories? How do characters and events in the stories map to values and ideas in the allegory? Explain the allegorical significance of two of Tolstoy's stories.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)