|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ivan Ilych handle his illness?
2. How does Ivan Ilych feel about his life as he reviews it from his deathbed?
3. What effect do visits to Moscow and Petersburg have on Marya's depression?
4. Who is Sergey Mikhaylych?
5. How does Tolstoy describe Dmitri's thoughts about love?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances of Lukashka's death.
2. What causes Marya's depression?
3. What does Dmitri Olenin think he will find in the Caucasus?
4. What intrudes to make Marya unhappy?
5. How has Marya's attitude about marriage changed by the end of the story?
6. When do Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna finally arrive at a truce?
7. What kinds of problems does Ivan Ilych have with Praskovya Federovna, his wife?
8. What torments Eugene Irtenev, and how does he plan to end his suffering?
9. How does Praskovya Federovna's bad temper affect Ivan Ilych?
10. What does Ivan Ilych learn on his deathbed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters in Tolstoy's stories learn and grow throughout the stories. Analyzing three stories, describe the and compare the kinds of growth Tolstoy portrays: are there commonalities? Is growth always in the direction of moral and spiritual enlightenment? If not, what other kinds of growth does Tolstoy describe?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of Tolstoy himself, based on his writing. What kinds of information do his themes provide for you?
Essay Topic 3
What is the state of civilization in the Russia of these stories? Are they modern, agricultural, primitive? What kinds of conflicts are taking place over the state of culture or progress? How do those conflicts reveal 'Russian culture'?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)