|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who introduces Eugene Irtenev to Stepanida?
2. Who is Katya?
3. Who is Ivan Ilych at the beginning of "The Death of Ivan Ilych"?
4. Whom did Lukashka think he killed?
5. How does Ivan Ilych feel about his life as he reviews it from his deathbed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the first ambush Lukashka sets up?
2. How does Dmitri go about confessing his love to Maryanka?
3. Who is Eugene Irtenev and where does he live at the beginning of the story?
4. How does Tolstoy describe Eugene Irtenev's marriage with Liza Annenskaya?
5. What causes Marya's depression?
6. What does Ivan Ilych learn on his deathbed?
7. What intrudes to make Marya unhappy?
8. What does Marya think about her marriage at first?
9. What causes Sergey and Marya's relationship to blossom?
10. What is the relationship between the Grebensk Cossacks and the Muslim Tartars?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on evidence from three stories of your choice, describe Tolstoy's view of religion and spirituality. What kind of God does Tolstoy invoke in his stories? What religion informs this divinity?
Essay Topic 2
What epiphanies do Tolstoy's characters have, and what do they learn from them? Is Tolstoy consistent in the kinds of things his characters learn, or is he using his characters to elicit feelings or epiphanies in the reader?
Essay Topic 3
How does Tolstoy treat the relationship between Russians and others--Chechen, Tartars, Cossacks, Turks? What make Russians Russian? What distinguishes them from the others, and what is the basis for hostility when there his hostility? What stance does Tolstoy take in presenting these relationships? (Sympathetic, critical, nationalistic?)
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)