|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rekindled Eugene Irtenev's love for his wife?
2. What are Ivan Ilych's symptoms of the illness that kills him?
3. How does Tolstoy describe conjugal relations with Eugene Irtenev and his wife?
4. Does Stepanida have Eugene Irtenev's child?
5. What effect do visits to Moscow and Petersburg have on Marya's depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marya think about her marriage at first?
2. What does Dmitri Olenin think he will find in the Caucasus?
3. What happens to end the truce between Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna?
4. What is the relationship between the Grebensk Cossacks and the Muslim Tartars?
5. Which ending of "The Devil" seems to be preferable?
6. What happens in the first ambush Lukashka sets up?
7. How does Tolstoy describe Eugene Irtenev's marriage with Liza Annenskaya?
8. Describe the circumstances of Lukashka's death.
9. Who is Eugene Irtenev and where does he live at the beginning of the story?
10. How does Ivan Ilych change when he begins to make money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Tolstoy's treatment of the relationship between masters and servants in three stories in "Great Short Works of Leo Tolstoy". How are the roles defined? How do characters vary from them?
Essay Topic 2
Many characters in Tolstoy's stories learn and grow throughout the stories. Analyzing three stories, describe the and compare the kinds of growth Tolstoy portrays: are there commonalities? Is growth always in the direction of moral and spiritual enlightenment? If not, what other kinds of growth does Tolstoy describe?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze three stories and describe Tolstoy's views on illness. How does illness function in a narrative sense, in the stories? How does it function in a philosophical sense, as a counterweight to spiritual truths?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)