|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much was Ivan Ilych given for moving expenses to get to his Court of Justice appointment?
2. What does Ivan Ilych ultimately realize about his wife?
3. What does Ivan Ilych do after his first child is born?
4. When did Dmitri believe a barrier was broken between himself and Maryanka?
5. What was Ivan Ilych promoted to after three years in his second position?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Sergey and Marya's relationship to blossom?
2. What happens the first time Nikita and Vasili get off the road?
3. What is the setting for "Kreutzer Sonata"?
4. What role do Liza Annenskaya's pregnancies play in "The Devil"?
5. What was Alyosha's experience like where he worked for the merchant?
6. What finally halts the travelers?
7. Describe Stepan Kasatsky's relationship with Countess Korotkova.
8. What torments Eugene Irtenev, and how does he plan to end his suffering?
9. Who is Eugene Irtenev and where does he live at the beginning of the story?
10. How did Father Sergius come to be sent to Siberia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Tolstoy treat the relationship between Russians and others--Chechen, Tartars, Cossacks, Turks? What make Russians Russian? What distinguishes them from the others, and what is the basis for hostility when there his hostility? What stance does Tolstoy take in presenting these relationships? (Sympathetic, critical, nationalistic?)
Essay Topic 2
What kind of struggle does Marya expect from marriage, and what kind of struggle does she end up having to endure? Describe the significance of struggle in "Family Happiness".
Essay Topic 3
What is the essential "Russianness" in Tolstoy's stories? Describe it in three of his short stories. Does Tolstoy show it by contrast with other cultures, or by description, or some other means?
This section contains 1,264 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)