|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Marya's boredom and depression turn into?
2. Where did Ivan Ilych get appointed to the Court of Justice?
3. Who lives on the other side of the Terek River?
4. What was Ivan Ilych promoted to after three years in his second position?
5. How does marriage make Eugene Irtenev's life easier?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to end the truce between Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna?
2. How does Ivan Ilych change when he begins to make money?
3. How does Dmitri go about confessing his love to Maryanka?
4. What does Marya think about her marriage at first?
5. What does Dmitri discover about the Chechens?
6. Describe the promotions Ivan Ilych receives.
7. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks?
8. What intrudes to make Marya unhappy?
9. What is Eugene Irtenev's relationship with Stepanida?
10. How does Tolstoy describe Eugene Irtenev's marriage with Liza Annenskaya?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the state of civilization in the Russia of these stories? Are they modern, agricultural, primitive? What kinds of conflicts are taking place over the state of culture or progress? How do those conflicts reveal 'Russian culture'?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze three stories and describe Tolstoy's views on illness. How does illness function in a narrative sense, in the stories? How does it function in a philosophical sense, as a counterweight to spiritual truths?
Essay Topic 3
Based on evidence from three stories of your choice, describe Tolstoy's view of religion and spirituality. What kind of God does Tolstoy invoke in his stories? What religion informs this divinity?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)