|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tolstoy say Marya and Sergey each believe about the other?
2. How does Ivan Ilych's relationship with his wife change when he begins to work at the Court of Justice?
3. What does Eugene Irtenev become restless for when he moves to the Semenov estate?
4. What happens when Ivan Ilych becomes ill?
5. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks descended from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances of Lukashka's death.
2. What intrudes to make Marya unhappy?
3. When do Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna finally arrive at a truce?
4. What does Dmitri Olenin think he will find in the Caucasus?
5. What torments Eugene Irtenev, and how does he plan to end his suffering?
6. What is Marya Alexandrovna's situation at the beginning of "Family Happiness"?
7. What is the relationship between the Grebensk Cossacks and the Muslim Tartars?
8. How does Praskovya Federovna's bad temper affect Ivan Ilych?
9. What role do Liza Annenskaya's pregnancies play in "The Devil"?
10. Who is Eugene Irtenev and where does he live at the beginning of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze three stories and describe Tolstoy's views on illness. How does illness function in a narrative sense, in the stories? How does it function in a philosophical sense, as a counterweight to spiritual truths?
Essay Topic 2
What is the state of civilization in the Russia of these stories? Are they modern, agricultural, primitive? What kinds of conflicts are taking place over the state of culture or progress? How do those conflicts reveal 'Russian culture'?
Essay Topic 3
What is Tolstoy's relation with his characters and the events he describes? Is he a sympathetic narrator, or does he distance himself from his characters' thoughts and actions?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)