|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Stepanida have Eugene Irtenev's child?
2. With whom did the Grebensk Cossacks intermarry?
3. What political stance do the Muslim Tartars typically take?
4. What rekindled Eugene Irtenev's love for his wife?
5. What was Ivan Ilych's salary on the Court of Justice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dmitri discover about the Chechens?
2. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks?
3. Describe the circumstances of Lukashka's death.
4. When do Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna finally arrive at a truce?
5. What torments Eugene Irtenev, and how does he plan to end his suffering?
6. What causes Sergey and Marya's relationship to blossom?
7. What causes Marya's depression?
8. How does Ivan Ilych change when he begins to make money?
9. Describe the promotions Ivan Ilych receives.
10. What causes Marya and Sergey to get beyond their jealousies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Tolstoy treat the relationship between Russians and others--Chechen, Tartars, Cossacks, Turks? What make Russians Russian? What distinguishes them from the others, and what is the basis for hostility when there his hostility? What stance does Tolstoy take in presenting these relationships? (Sympathetic, critical, nationalistic?)
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of Tolstoy himself, based on his writing. What kinds of information do his themes provide for you?
Essay Topic 3
What epiphanies do Tolstoy's characters have, and what do they learn from them? Is Tolstoy consistent in the kinds of things his characters learn, or is he using his characters to elicit feelings or epiphanies in the reader?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)