|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ivan Ilych find in place of death?
2. Why does Marya's depression return?
3. What convinces Ivan Ilych that death is getting close?
4. Where did Ivan Ilych get appointed to the Court of Justice?
5. What does Marya say she got, in her marriage to Sergey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alyosha conclude about his life before he dies?
2. How does Tolstoy describe Eugene Irtenev's marriage with Liza Annenskaya?
3. What gift did Father Sergius discover he had, and what did it do for him?
4. Describe the circumstances of Lukashka's death.
5. Describe the promotions Ivan Ilych receives.
6. Why does Father Sergius ask to be reassigned to a hermitage?
7. What was Alyosha's experience like where he worked for the merchant?
8. How does Ivan Ilych change when he begins to make money?
9. What is Nikita's relationship with Mukhorty?
10. What does Murad ask Prince Vorontsov for after he surrenders?
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of Tolstoy himself, based on his writing. What kinds of information do his themes provide for you?
Essay Topic 2
What is the state of civilization in the Russia of these stories? Are they modern, agricultural, primitive? What kinds of conflicts are taking place over the state of culture or progress? How do those conflicts reveal 'Russian culture'?
Essay Topic 3
Some of Tolstoy's characters learn and grow, but some, like Ivan Ilych's wife, remain consistently bound to their temperament. Analyzing characters who are bound by temperament, assess the theory of temperament in Tolstoy's writing. Are people free to develop, or are they bound by their characters, in Tolstoy's opinion?
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)