|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolstoy say Liza Annenskaya acts on her jealousy?
2. How does Ivan Ilych's relationship with his wife change when he begins to work at the Court of Justice?
3. Who is Sergey Mikhaylych?
4. How does Marya say her marriage to Sergey affects her relationship with the world?
5. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych's mood changed during his illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. When do Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna finally arrive at a truce?
2. How does Praskovya Federovna's bad temper affect Ivan Ilych?
3. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks?
4. Describe the promotions Ivan Ilych receives.
5. What happens to end the truce between Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna?
6. What does Dmitri discover about the Chechens?
7. What is Eugene Irtenev's relationship with Stepanida?
8. How does Dmitri go about confessing his love to Maryanka?
9. What kinds of problems does Ivan Ilych have with Praskovya Federovna, his wife?
10. What causes Marya and Sergey to get beyond their jealousies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Late in life, Tolstoy abjured private possessions and advocated communes. Does the Tolstoy of the stories value worldly possessions less than other kinds of things? Where are worldly possessions in Tolstoy's value scale? Analyze three stories and describe Tolstoy's views.
Essay Topic 2
What kind of struggle does Marya expect from marriage, and what kind of struggle does she end up having to endure? Describe the significance of struggle in "Family Happiness".
Essay Topic 3
How does the theme of the child function in "Family Happiness"? Who acts like a child? How do actual children affect the characters?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)