|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan Ilych develop a passion for?
2. How does Tolstoy describe conjugal relations with Eugene Irtenev and his wife?
3. Why does Dmitri go to the Caucasus?
4. What does Eugene Irtenev become restless for when he moves to the Semenov estate?
5. How does Marya see herself in relation to Sergey, once she begins to be depressed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of problems does Ivan Ilych have with Praskovya Federovna, his wife?
2. What does Marya think about her marriage at first?
3. What is Marya Alexandrovna's situation at the beginning of "Family Happiness"?
4. How does Dmitri go about confessing his love to Maryanka?
5. What is the relationship between the Grebensk Cossacks and the Muslim Tartars?
6. Describe the promotions Ivan Ilych receives.
7. How does Tolstoy describe Eugene Irtenev's marriage with Liza Annenskaya?
8. What causes Marya's depression?
9. Describe Dmitri's departure from the Caucasus.
10. When do Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna finally arrive at a truce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do characters in three of Tolstoy's stories handle depression? What is it typically caused by, and what are the effective solutions to it?
Essay Topic 2
What is the state of civilization in the Russia of these stories? Are they modern, agricultural, primitive? What kinds of conflicts are taking place over the state of culture or progress? How do those conflicts reveal 'Russian culture'?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Tolstoy's treatment of the relationship between masters and servants in three stories in "Great Short Works of Leo Tolstoy". How are the roles defined? How do characters vary from them?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)