|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marya yearn for through the winter?
2. How does Ivan Ilych's relationship with his wife change when he begins to work at the Court of Justice?
3. What does Maryanka do when Dmitri returns to Russia?
4. Who lives on the other side of the Terek River?
5. How does Marya see herself in relation to Sergey, once she begins to be depressed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to end the truce between Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna?
2. What role do Liza Annenskaya's pregnancies play in "The Devil"?
3. What kinds of problems does Ivan Ilych have with Praskovya Federovna, his wife?
4. What causes Sergey and Marya's relationship to blossom?
5. What does Marya think about her marriage at first?
6. How does Ivan Ilych change when he begins to make money?
7. How does illness affect Ivan Ilych?
8. When do Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna finally arrive at a truce?
9. Describe the beginning of Marya's relationship with Sergey.
10. What is Eugene Irtenev's relationship with Stepanida?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of struggle does Marya expect from marriage, and what kind of struggle does she end up having to endure? Describe the significance of struggle in "Family Happiness".
Essay Topic 2
How does Tolstoy treat the relationship between Russians and others--Chechen, Tartars, Cossacks, Turks? What make Russians Russian? What distinguishes them from the others, and what is the basis for hostility when there his hostility? What stance does Tolstoy take in presenting these relationships? (Sympathetic, critical, nationalistic?)
Essay Topic 3
What epiphanies do Tolstoy's characters have, and what do they learn from them? Is Tolstoy consistent in the kinds of things his characters learn, or is he using his characters to elicit feelings or epiphanies in the reader?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)