Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ivan Ilych do in his second job?
2. Why does Dmitri go to the Caucasus?
3. What does Dmitri dream about on his way to the Caucasus?
4. How does Tolstoy describe conjugal relations with Eugene Irtenev and his wife?
5. When did Dmitri believe a barrier was broken between himself and Maryanka?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Praskovya Federovna's bad temper affect Ivan Ilych?
2. What happens the first time Nikita and Vasili get off the road?
3. Describe Pozdnyshev's marriage.
4. What causes Marya's depression?
5. When do Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna finally arrive at a truce?
6. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks?
7. How did Father Sergius come to be sent to Siberia?
8. How does Dmitri go about confessing his love to Maryanka?
9. Describe the circumstances of Lukashka's death.
10. What happens to Vasili and Nikita after they set out from Grishkino?
Essay Topic 1
What is the state of civilization in the Russia of these stories? Are they modern, agricultural, primitive? What kinds of conflicts are taking place over the state of culture or progress? How do those conflicts reveal 'Russian culture'?
Essay Topic 2
To what extent are Tolstoy's stories instructional, and what are they teaching? Describe the educational value of three of Tolstoy's stories.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Tolstoy's treatment of the relationship between masters and servants in three stories in "Great Short Works of Leo Tolstoy". How are the roles defined? How do characters vary from them?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)