|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan Ilych do after his first child is born?
2. How does marriage make Eugene Irtenev's life easier?
3. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych's mood changed during his illness?
4. Who is Praskovya Federovna?
5. Where do Eugene Irtenev and Stepanida meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of problems does Ivan Ilych have with Praskovya Federovna, his wife?
2. Describe the beginning of Marya's relationship with Sergey.
3. What does Dmitri discover about the Chechens?
4. What is Marya Alexandrovna's situation at the beginning of "Family Happiness"?
5. What role do Liza Annenskaya's pregnancies play in "The Devil"?
6. Who is Eugene Irtenev and where does he live at the beginning of the story?
7. What is Eugene Irtenev's relationship with Stepanida?
8. When do Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna finally arrive at a truce?
9. What does Ivan Ilych learn on his deathbed?
10. What causes Sergey and Marya's relationship to blossom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the theme of the child function in "Family Happiness"? Who acts like a child? How do actual children affect the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze three stories and describe Tolstoy's views on illness. How does illness function in a narrative sense, in the stories? How does it function in a philosophical sense, as a counterweight to spiritual truths?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of struggle does Marya expect from marriage, and what kind of struggle does she end up having to endure? Describe the significance of struggle in "Family Happiness".
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)