|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would you describe the nature Dmitri expects to find in the Caucasus?
2. How long was Ivan Ilych in his position before he was appointed to the position of public prosecutor in another town?
3. What is Marya's first reaction to Sergey?
4. How does Ivan Ilych's relationship with his wife change when he begins to work at the Court of Justice?
5. What did Ivan Ilych do in his second job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Marya's attitude about marriage changed by the end of the story?
2. How does illness affect Ivan Ilych?
3. Describe the promotions Ivan Ilych receives.
4. How does Dmitri go about confessing his love to Maryanka?
5. What intrudes to make Marya unhappy?
6. What causes Marya and Sergey to get beyond their jealousies?
7. How does Ivan Ilych change when he begins to make money?
8. What role do Liza Annenskaya's pregnancies play in "The Devil"?
9. What causes Sergey and Marya's relationship to blossom?
10. What does Dmitri Olenin think he will find in the Caucasus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Tolstoy's literary universe a chaotic one, as people say modern life is chaotic or random--or is it organized around some law or consistency? What law Tolstoy's fictional world organized around?
Essay Topic 2
What is the state of civilization in the Russia of these stories? Are they modern, agricultural, primitive? What kinds of conflicts are taking place over the state of culture or progress? How do those conflicts reveal 'Russian culture'?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Tolstoy's treatment of the relationship between masters and servants in three stories in "Great Short Works of Leo Tolstoy". How are the roles defined? How do characters vary from them?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)