|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan Ilych ultimately realize about his wife?
2. What is the significance of the Terek River?
3. How does Ivan Ilych handle his illness?
4. How does Tolstoy describe Ivan Ilych's wife's temperament?
5. What is Marya's first reaction to Sergey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the promotions Ivan Ilych receives.
2. How does Ivan Ilych change when he begins to make money?
3. What happens in the first ambush Lukashka sets up?
4. When do Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna finally arrive at a truce?
5. How does illness affect Ivan Ilych?
6. What is the relationship between the Grebensk Cossacks and the Muslim Tartars?
7. What causes Marya and Sergey to get beyond their jealousies?
8. What is Eugene Irtenev's relationship with Stepanida?
9. Describe the circumstances of Lukashka's death.
10. Who is Eugene Irtenev and where does he live at the beginning of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Tolstoy's treatment of the relationship between masters and servants in three stories in "Great Short Works of Leo Tolstoy". How are the roles defined? How do characters vary from them?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of Tolstoy himself, based on his writing. What kinds of information do his themes provide for you?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze morality in three of Tolstoy's stories. What is Tolstoy's view of morality? Is it innate, or the result of decisions?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)