|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolstoy describe Ivan Ilych's wife's temperament?
2. How does Tolstoy say Cossack men view their wives?
3. How much was Ivan Ilych given for moving expenses to get to his Court of Justice appointment?
4. What rekindled Eugene Irtenev's love for his wife?
5. Who lives beyond the Muslim Tartars?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to end the truce between Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna?
2. Who is Eugene Irtenev and where does he live at the beginning of the story?
3. What does Ivan Ilych learn on his deathbed?
4. What kinds of problems does Ivan Ilych have with Praskovya Federovna, his wife?
5. Describe the beginning of Marya's relationship with Sergey.
6. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks?
7. What causes Sergey and Marya's relationship to blossom?
8. What does Marya think about her marriage at first?
9. What intrudes to make Marya unhappy?
10. How does illness affect Ivan Ilych?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze three stories and describe Tolstoy's views on illness. How does illness function in a narrative sense, in the stories? How does it function in a philosophical sense, as a counterweight to spiritual truths?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Tolstoy's treatment of the relationship between masters and servants in three stories in "Great Short Works of Leo Tolstoy". How are the roles defined? How do characters vary from them?
Essay Topic 3
What is Tolstoy's relation with his characters and the events he describes? Is he a sympathetic narrator, or does he distance himself from his characters' thoughts and actions?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)