|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Sergey to say that he and Marya must return to the country?
2. What does Ivan Ilych ultimately realize about his wife?
3. Why does Eugene Irtenev move to the Semenov estate?
4. Who is Dmitri Olenin?
5. Who introduces Eugene Irtenev to Stepanida?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Vasili and Nikita after they set out from Grishkino?
2. What is the setting for "Kreutzer Sonata"?
3. What is the relationship between the Grebensk Cossacks and the Muslim Tartars?
4. How does Ivan Ilych change when he begins to make money?
5. What gift did Father Sergius discover he had, and what did it do for him?
6. Describe the beginning of Marya's relationship with Sergey.
7. What does Dmitri Olenin think he will find in the Caucasus?
8. Which ending of "The Devil" seems to be preferable?
9. What is Nikita's relationship with Mukhorty?
10. What is Alyosha's situation at the beginning of "Alyosha the Pot"?
Essay Topic 1
Based on evidence from three stories of your choice, describe Tolstoy's view of religion and spirituality. What kind of God does Tolstoy invoke in his stories? What religion informs this divinity?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze morality in three of Tolstoy's stories. What is Tolstoy's view of morality? Is it innate, or the result of decisions?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of struggle does Marya expect from marriage, and what kind of struggle does she end up having to endure? Describe the significance of struggle in "Family Happiness".
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)