|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect do visits to Moscow and Petersburg have on Marya's depression?
2. What does Ivan Ilych do after his first child is born?
3. Who is Eugene Irtenev?
4. How does Tolstoy describe Marya and Sergey's feelings for each other?
5. How does Tolstoy describe the force that overcomes Eugene Irtenev's reticence about meeting a married woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role do Liza Annenskaya's pregnancies play in "The Devil"?
2. What happens to end the truce between Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna?
3. What is the relationship between the Grebensk Cossacks and the Muslim Tartars?
4. What causes Marya and Sergey to get beyond their jealousies?
5. What does Dmitri discover about the Chechens?
6. Describe the promotions Ivan Ilych receives.
7. What does Dmitri Olenin think he will find in the Caucasus?
8. What does Ivan Ilych learn on his deathbed?
9. How does Tolstoy describe Eugene Irtenev's marriage with Liza Annenskaya?
10. Who is Eugene Irtenev and where does he live at the beginning of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what extent are Tolstoy's stories instructional, and what are they teaching? Describe the educational value of three of Tolstoy's stories.
Essay Topic 2
What epiphanies do Tolstoy's characters have, and what do they learn from them? Is Tolstoy consistent in the kinds of things his characters learn, or is he using his characters to elicit feelings or epiphanies in the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Is Tolstoy's literary universe a chaotic one, as people say modern life is chaotic or random--or is it organized around some law or consistency? What law Tolstoy's fictional world organized around?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)