|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would you describe the nature Dmitri expects to find in the Caucasus?
2. What political stance do the Muslim Tartars typically take?
3. Why did Liza Annenskaya hire Stepanida?
4. How often does Eugene Irtenev meet Stepanida?
5. What are Ivan Ilych's symptoms of the illness that kills him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marya think about her marriage at first?
2. When do Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna finally arrive at a truce?
3. Describe the beginning of Marya's relationship with Sergey.
4. What torments Eugene Irtenev, and how does he plan to end his suffering?
5. How does Dmitri go about confessing his love to Maryanka?
6. What is the relationship between the Grebensk Cossacks and the Muslim Tartars?
7. How does illness affect Ivan Ilych?
8. What is Eugene Irtenev's relationship with Stepanida?
9. How does Praskovya Federovna's bad temper affect Ivan Ilych?
10. How does Tolstoy describe Eugene Irtenev's marriage with Liza Annenskaya?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze three stories and describe Tolstoy's views on illness. How does illness function in a narrative sense, in the stories? How does it function in a philosophical sense, as a counterweight to spiritual truths?
Essay Topic 2
What is the essential "Russianness" in Tolstoy's stories? Describe it in three of his short stories. Does Tolstoy show it by contrast with other cultures, or by description, or some other means?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of Tolstoy himself, based on his writing. What kinds of information do his themes provide for you?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)