|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ivan Ilych do in his second job?
2. What did Ivan Ilych find in place of death?
3. How does Ivan Ilych begin his career?
4. Why does Eugene Irtenev move to the Semenov estate?
5. What is in Novomlinsk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between the Grebensk Cossacks and the Muslim Tartars?
2. How does Tolstoy describe Eugene Irtenev's marriage with Liza Annenskaya?
3. What causes Marya's depression?
4. What torments Eugene Irtenev, and how does he plan to end his suffering?
5. How does Ivan Ilych change when he begins to make money?
6. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks?
7. What does Marya think about her marriage at first?
8. How does illness affect Ivan Ilych?
9. Describe Dmitri's departure from the Caucasus.
10. What happens to end the truce between Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Tolstoy's treatment of the relationship between masters and servants in three stories in "Great Short Works of Leo Tolstoy". How are the roles defined? How do characters vary from them?
Essay Topic 2
What is Tolstoy's relation with his characters and the events he describes? Is he a sympathetic narrator, or does he distance himself from his characters' thoughts and actions?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of Tolstoy himself, based on his writing. What kinds of information do his themes provide for you?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)