|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ivan Ilych do in his second job?
2. Why does Dmitri go to the Caucasus?
3. What does Dmitri dream about on his way to the Caucasus?
4. How does Tolstoy describe conjugal relations with Eugene Irtenev and his wife?
5. When did Dmitri believe a barrier was broken between himself and Maryanka?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Praskovya Federovna's bad temper affect Ivan Ilych?
2. What happens the first time Nikita and Vasili get off the road?
3. Describe Pozdnyshev's marriage.
4. What causes Marya's depression?
5. When do Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna finally arrive at a truce?
6. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks?
7. How did Father Sergius come to be sent to Siberia?
8. How does Dmitri go about confessing his love to Maryanka?
9. Describe the circumstances of Lukashka's death.
10. What happens to Vasili and Nikita after they set out from Grishkino?
Essay Topic 1
How do characters in three of Tolstoy's stories handle depression? What is it typically caused by, and what are the effective solutions to it?
Essay Topic 2
What epiphanies do Tolstoy's characters have, and what do they learn from them? Is Tolstoy consistent in the kinds of things his characters learn, or is he using his characters to elicit feelings or epiphanies in the reader?
Essay Topic 3
What is Tolstoy's relation with his characters and the events he describes? Is he a sympathetic narrator, or does he distance himself from his characters' thoughts and actions?
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)