|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marya say her marriage to Sergey affects her relationship with the world?
2. What surprises Marya after her marriage to Sergey?
3. How does Tolstoy say Ivan Ilych felt upon taking his position at the Court of Justice?
4. Whom did Lukashka think he killed?
5. What is the relationship between Christian Cossacks and Muslim Tartars?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between the Grebensk Cossacks and the Muslim Tartars?
2. Describe the promotions Ivan Ilych receives.
3. How does Ivan Ilych change when he begins to make money?
4. What kinds of problems does Ivan Ilych have with Praskovya Federovna, his wife?
5. What causes Marya and Sergey to get beyond their jealousies?
6. What intrudes to make Marya unhappy?
7. What happens in the first ambush Lukashka sets up?
8. Who are the Grebensk Cossacks?
9. What does Dmitri Olenin think he will find in the Caucasus?
10. When do Ivan Ilych and Praskovya Federovna finally arrive at a truce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do characters in three of Tolstoy's stories handle depression? What is it typically caused by, and what are the effective solutions to it?
Essay Topic 2
How does the theme of the child function in "Family Happiness"? Who acts like a child? How do actual children affect the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Is Tolstoy's literary universe a chaotic one, as people say modern life is chaotic or random--or is it organized around some law or consistency? What law Tolstoy's fictional world organized around?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)