|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stepan Kasatsky respond when Countess Korotkova tells him about her other lover?
(a) He confronts the other man.
(b) He kills her.
(c) He breaks off the engagement.
(d) He vows to love her eternally.
2. What does Murad intend to do when he reaches his destination?
(a) Gather men to fight Shamil.
(b) Fight the Russians.
(c) Surrender to the Russians.
(d) Emigrate to America.
3. Where does Murad stay while he is in flight?
(a) In the forest.
(b) On the streets.
(c) With friends.
(d) He stays on the move.
4. Who is Trukhachevsky?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A semi-professional musician.
(c) A young neighbor.
(d) A soldier.
5. When do the travelers finally decide to stop?
(a) When they get stuck in a ravine.
(b) When Mukhorty is injured.
(c) When the sled breaks.
(d) When they lose their way again.
6. How does Pozdnyshev's wife try to escape from her unhappiness?
(a) By gossiping.
(b) By having affairs.
(c) By singing.
(d) By playing piano.
7. What happened to Stepan Kasatsky when his father died?
(a) He was sent to a tutor in Moscow.
(b) He was kept at home to be educated.
(c) He was sent to Europe for education.
(d) He was enrolled in military school.
8. How does Tolstoy describe Countess Korotkova?
9. Where does the road take them after the travelers return to the road?
(a) The Semenov estate.
10. What power does Father Sergius discover he has?
(b) Arguing law cases.
11. How long did Nikita live after Vasili died?
(a) 20 years.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 2 months.
12. Who gives the travelers directions?
(a) An innkeeper in Grishkino.
(b) A fellow traveler.
(c) A servant.
(d) A landowner in Goryachkin.
13. How does Nikita treat Mukhorty?
(a) As a pet.
(b) As a low criminal.
(c) As a family member.
(d) As a beast of burden.
14. How does Pozdnyshev describe his union with his wife?
(a) A passionate union.
(b) A spiritual union.
(c) A practical, economic union.
(d) A carnal union.
15. What was Stepan Kasatsky 'given to' from time to time?
(a) Fits of temper.
(b) Fits of laughing.
(c) Fits of generosity.
(d) Fits of jealousy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it called when Vasili dies protecting Nikita?
2. What does Murad ask for when he has reached his destination?
3. Who found Nikita after the snow storm?
4. What were Pozdnyshev and his wife like in private together?
5. Who does Pozdnyshev tell his story to?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)