|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Shamil ordered Murad's family to be arrested?
(a) Murad had spoken against the Chechen cause.
(b) Shamil was trying to consolidate his power.
(c) A conflict between Shamil and Murad.
(d) Murad had murdered a man.
2. How long after their wedding was Pozdnyshev's wife depressed?
(a) Three years.
(b) Three months.
(c) Three days.
(d) Three weeks.
3. What does Murad ultimately plan to do?
(a) Repatriate in Russia.
(b) Attack Shamil's stronghold and eliminate him.
(c) Make money and get famous.
(d) Establish Russian rule over Chechnya.
4. Why did Pozdnyshev's wife say she was depressed?
(a) She could see he did not love her.
(b) She did not love him.
(c) She did not like the town they moved to.
(d) She could not have children.
5. How does Marya Dmitrievna denounce Hadji Aga and his men?
(a) As swine.
(b) As cutthroats.
(c) As traitors.
(d) As thieves.
6. What does Murad hope for, from the person he is trying to reach?
(a) Safe passage.
(d) A large force.
7. Where does Stepan Kasatsky go after Countess Korotkova tells him about her other lover?
(a) To Petersburg.
(b) To the country.
(c) To Moscow.
(d) To a monastery.
8. Who is Hadji Murad?
(a) A Russian soldier.
(b) A Turkish fighter.
(c) A Russian prince.
(d) A Chechen fighter.
9. How does Nikita treat Mukhorty?
(a) As a low criminal.
(b) As a beast of burden.
(c) As a pet.
(d) As a family member.
10. What is it called when Vasili dies protecting Nikita?
(d) Dramatic irony.
11. What is Mukhorty covered with when he stumbles in a ditch?
(d) Hoar frost.
12. Why does Murad want revenge on Shamil?
(a) Shamil pushed him out of power.
(b) Shamil insulted him.
(c) Shamil killed his brother and father.
(d) Shamil stole from him.
13. How does Pozdnyshev describe his and his wife's courtship?
14. How does Pozdnyshev's wife try to escape from her unhappiness?
(a) By gossiping.
(b) By playing piano.
(c) By having affairs.
(d) By singing.
15. What was Pozdnyshev's justification for killing his wife?
(a) A jealous rage.
(b) Desire for her money.
(c) He caught her cheating on him.
(d) She was ill and suffering.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolstoy describe Countess Korotkova?
2. What power does Father Sergius discover he has?
3. Who is Murad hoping to reach at his destination?
4. Who tries to convince the travelers to rest?
5. Where is Murad fleeing to?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)