|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money did Vasili borrow?
(a) 300 rubles.
(b) 3,000 rubles.
(c) 2,300 rubles.
(d) 1,500 rubles.
2. How does Pozdnyshev's wife try to escape from her unhappiness?
(a) By singing.
(b) By playing piano.
(c) By having affairs.
(d) By gossiping.
3. What does Pozdnyshev say he was determined to do throughout his marriage?
(a) Remain faithful.
(b) Kill his wife.
(c) Ignore his wife's affairs.
(d) Carry on his affairs.
4. What does Tolstoy say Pozdnyshev is oblivious to in his marriage?
(a) His wife's unhappiness.
(b) His children's hate for him.
(c) His wife's affairs.
(d) His wife's illness.
5. How long did Nikita live after Vasili died?
(a) 2 months.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 2 days.
6. Where are Vasili and Nikita and Mukhorty traveling to?
(d) The Semenov estate.
7. Where does Stepan Kasatsky go after Countess Korotkova tells him about her other lover?
(a) To Petersburg.
(b) To Moscow.
(c) To a monastery.
(d) To the country.
8. How does Pozdnyshev describe his and his wife's courtship?
9. Who is Hadji Murad?
(a) A Turkish fighter.
(b) A Russian soldier.
(c) A Chechen fighter.
(d) A Russian prince.
10. What happened to Stepan Kasatsky when his father died?
(a) He was enrolled in military school.
(b) He was sent to a tutor in Moscow.
(c) He was sent to Europe for education.
(d) He was kept at home to be educated.
11. What is it called when Vasili dies protecting Nikita?
(d) Dramatic irony.
12. How does Tolstoy describe Stepan Kasatsky's educational career?
13. When do the travelers finally decide to stop?
(a) When they lose their way again.
(b) When Mukhorty is injured.
(c) When they get stuck in a ravine.
(d) When the sled breaks.
14. Why has Shamil ordered Murad's family to be arrested?
(a) Murad had murdered a man.
(b) Murad had spoken against the Chechen cause.
(c) Shamil was trying to consolidate his power.
(d) A conflict between Shamil and Murad.
15. Who does Pozdnyshev tell his story to?
(a) His seat-mate.
(b) A judge and jury.
(c) His cell-mate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who nearly captures Murad and his men?
2. Who tries to convince the travelers to rest?
3. How does Tolstoy describe Countess Korotkova?
4. Who is Trukhachevsky?
5. Why was Sergius sent to Siberia?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)