|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did Nikita live after Vasili died?
(a) 2 months.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 2 weeks.
2. What does Murad ultimately plan to do?
(a) Make money and get famous.
(b) Repatriate in Russia.
(c) Establish Russian rule over Chechnya.
(d) Attack Shamil's stronghold and eliminate him.
3. Who found Nikita after the snow storm?
(a) People from the Semenov estate.
(b) Vasili's servants.
4. What significance does Pashenka have to Sergius after Sergius leaves the monastery?
(a) He wants to punish her for leading him astray.
(b) She seems like a means to salvation for him.
(c) He wants to set things right with her.
(d) He wants to devote himself to her.
5. What is it called when Vasili dies protecting Nikita?
(d) Dramatic irony.
6. What inspired the jealousy rage in Pozdnyshev?
(a) A business trip.
(b) Catching his wife and Trukhachevsky in the act.
(c) He read his wife's letters.
(d) One of Trukhachevsky's enemies told him about Trukhachevsky's affair with his wife.
7. How does Pozdnyshev's wife try to escape from her unhappiness?
(a) By gossiping.
(b) By having affairs.
(c) By playing piano.
(d) By singing.
8. How does Tolstoy say Stepan Kasatsky feels about the Emperor?
9. How much money did Vasili borrow?
(a) 1,500 rubles.
(b) 3,000 rubles.
(c) 300 rubles.
(d) 2,300 rubles.
10. What power does Father Sergius discover he has?
(b) Arguing law cases.
11. Where are Vasili and Nikita and Mukhorty traveling to?
(d) The Semenov estate.
12. Who does Pozdnyshev tell his story to?
(a) A judge and jury.
(c) His cell-mate.
(d) His seat-mate.
13. Who is Murad hoping to reach at his destination?
(a) Marya Dmitrievna.
(b) Prince Vorontsov.
(c) Emperor Nicholas I.
(d) Shamil's general.
14. How does Pozdnyshev see his marriage after a few weeks?
(a) As a transcendent pleasure.
(b) As a justification for misery.
(c) As a heavy burden.
(d) As a sweet kind of teamwork.
15. What causes Father Sergius to leave the monastery?
(a) A woman who seduced his spiritual leader.
(b) A woman who tempts him.
(c) A woman who seduces him.
(d) A woman who refuses him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stepan Kasatsky respond when Countess Korotkova tells him about her other lover?
2. What does Vasili decide to do when they have lost the road?
3. Where does the road take them after the travelers return to the road?
4. What did the Tsar suggest to do with Murad?
5. How does Nikita treat Mukhorty?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)