|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Murad intend to do when he reaches his destination?
(a) Surrender to the Russians.
(b) Gather men to fight Shamil.
(c) Emigrate to America.
(d) Fight the Russians.
2. Who was Countess Korotkova?
(a) The emperor's concubine.
(b) A general's wife.
(c) Stepan Kasatsky's aunt.
(d) Stepan Kasatsky's mother's friend.
3. What does Pozdnyshev say he was determined to do throughout his marriage?
(a) Remain faithful.
(b) Carry on his affairs.
(c) Kill his wife.
(d) Ignore his wife's affairs.
4. How does Pozdnyshev describe his and his wife's courtship?
5. How long after their wedding was Pozdnyshev's wife depressed?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Three years.
(c) Three months.
(d) Three days.
6. How does Tolstoy describe Countess Korotkova?
7. What was Pozdnyshev's justification for killing his wife?
(a) Desire for her money.
(b) He caught her cheating on him.
(c) A jealous rage.
(d) She was ill and suffering.
8. Why does Murad want revenge on Shamil?
(a) Shamil killed his brother and father.
(b) Shamil insulted him.
(c) Shamil stole from him.
(d) Shamil pushed him out of power.
9. Who is Hadji Murad?
(a) A Turkish fighter.
(b) A Russian prince.
(c) A Russian soldier.
(d) A Chechen fighter.
10. What did the Tsar suggest to do with Murad?
(a) Use him against the Chechens.
(b) Send him to Siberia.
(c) Use him to train anti-Chechen fighters.
(d) Use him on the Western front.
11. Who gives the travelers directions?
(a) A servant.
(b) A landowner in Goryachkin.
(c) A fellow traveler.
(d) An innkeeper in Grishkino.
12. What does Murad ultimately plan to do?
(a) Establish Russian rule over Chechnya.
(b) Attack Shamil's stronghold and eliminate him.
(c) Make money and get famous.
(d) Repatriate in Russia.
13. Where are Vasili and Nikita and Mukhorty traveling to?
(b) The Semenov estate.
14. Who is Mukhorty?
(a) Vasili's servant.
(b) Vasili's neighbor.
(c) Vasili's horse.
(d) Vasili's priest.
15. Who is Nikita?
(a) Vasili's priest.
(b) Vasili's horse.
(c) Vasili's neighbor.
(d) Vasili's servant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vasili decide to do when they have lost the road?
2. Why was Sergius sent to Siberia?
3. How does Stepan Kasatsky respond when Countess Korotkova tells him about her other lover?
4. Who is Stepan Kasatsky?
5. What significance does Pashenka have to Sergius after Sergius leaves the monastery?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)