|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives the travelers directions?
(a) An innkeeper in Grishkino.
(b) A landowner in Goryachkin.
(c) A servant.
(d) A fellow traveler.
2. What does Murad ask for when he has reached his destination?
(a) Immediate action.
(c) A prisoner exchange.
3. What happened to Stepan Kasatsky when his father died?
(a) He was sent to Europe for education.
(b) He was kept at home to be educated.
(c) He was sent to a tutor in Moscow.
(d) He was enrolled in military school.
4. Who does Pozdnyshev tell his story to?
(a) A judge and jury.
(c) His seat-mate.
(d) His cell-mate.
5. How does Tolstoy describe Stepan Kasatsky's educational career?
6. How does Marya Dmitrievna denounce Hadji Aga and his men?
(a) As thieves.
(b) As cutthroats.
(c) As traitors.
(d) As swine.
7. How does Pozdnyshev describe his marriage as he sees it in post-coital reflection?
(a) As to cold souls begrudging each other their pleasure.
(b) As two animals desperate to consume each other.
(c) As two terrified children trying to save each other.
(d) As two egoists foreign to each other.
8. What was Stepan Kasatsky 'given to' from time to time?
(a) Fits of generosity.
(b) Fits of laughing.
(c) Fits of temper.
(d) Fits of jealousy.
9. Who is Vasili Andreevich?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A wealthy innkeeper.
(d) A priest.
10. How does Tolstoy say Stepan Kasatsky feels about the Emperor?
11. Where are Vasili and Nikita and Mukhorty traveling to?
(b) The Semenov estate.
12. What are Stepan Kasatsky's motives for whatever he undertakes?
(a) To escape from reality.
(b) To win recognition.
(c) To create a disturbance.
(d) To undermine authority.
13. What does Vasili decide to do when they have lost the road?
(a) Cast about in circles for the road.
(b) Continue through potato fields.
(c) Camp where they are.
14. Who is Nikita?
(a) Vasili's neighbor.
(b) Vasili's horse.
(c) Vasili's priest.
(d) Vasili's servant.
15. Why was Sergius sent to Siberia?
(a) He asked to be sent.
(b) He was arrested for treason.
(c) He was arrested for vagrancy.
(d) He followed a woman there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Pozdnyshev's wife balk at?
2. How does Pozdnyshev see his marriage after a few weeks?
3. What makes Murad suspicious when he reaches his destination?
4. How does Pozdnyshev's wife try to escape from her unhappiness?
5. Who is Trukhachevsky?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)