|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who nearly captures Murad and his men?
(c) Some Chechens.
2. How does Pozdnyshev see his marriage after a few weeks?
(a) As a justification for misery.
(b) As a sweet kind of teamwork.
(c) As a transcendent pleasure.
(d) As a heavy burden.
3. What is Stepan Kasatsky's relation with the court of Emperor Nicholas I?
(a) Stepan Kasatsky's mother was daughter of a high-ranking officer.
(b) Stepan Kasatsky's family was promoted to the nobility by Emperor Nicholas I.
(c) Stepan Kasatsky's father was an outstanding military officer.
(d) Stepan Kasatsky married an admiral's daughter.
4. What significance does Pashenka have to Sergius after Sergius leaves the monastery?
(a) She seems like a means to salvation for him.
(b) He wants to punish her for leading him astray.
(c) He wants to devote himself to her.
(d) He wants to set things right with her.
5. How does Pozdnyshev's wife try to escape from her unhappiness?
(a) By gossiping.
(b) By singing.
(c) By playing piano.
(d) By having affairs.
6. How did Murad die?
(a) He was betrayed by his own men.
(b) He was assassinated by Shamil's men.
(c) He was shot in an ambush.
(d) He was killed in battle.
7. Where does Murad stay while he is in flight?
(a) He stays on the move.
(b) With friends.
(c) In the forest.
(d) On the streets.
8. How much money did Vasili borrow?
(a) 2,300 rubles.
(b) 300 rubles.
(c) 1,500 rubles.
(d) 3,000 rubles.
9. How does Tolstoy say Stepan Kasatsky feels about the Emperor?
10. Why was Sergius sent to Siberia?
(a) He was arrested for treason.
(b) He followed a woman there.
(c) He asked to be sent.
(d) He was arrested for vagrancy.
11. Where does Stepan Kasatsky go after Countess Korotkova tells him about her other lover?
(a) To a monastery.
(b) To Petersburg.
(c) To the country.
(d) To Moscow.
12. Who suggested that Murad be sent to Siberia?
(a) An adviser to the Tsar.
(b) Marya Dmitrievna.
(c) The Tsar.
(d) Prince Vorontsov.
13. Who gives the travelers directions?
(a) A servant.
(b) A fellow traveler.
(c) An innkeeper in Grishkino.
(d) A landowner in Goryachkin.
14. What does Pozdnyshev say he was determined to do throughout his marriage?
(a) Kill his wife.
(b) Ignore his wife's affairs.
(c) Remain faithful.
(d) Carry on his affairs.
15. What power does Father Sergius discover he has?
(a) Arguing law cases.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Shamil ordered Murad's family to be arrested?
2. What does Murad hope for, from the person he is trying to reach?
3. Who does Pozdnyshev tell his story to?
4. How does Pozdnyshev describe his union with his wife?
5. What does Tolstoy say Pozdnyshev is oblivious to in his marriage?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)