|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Pozdnyshev describe his union with his wife?
(a) A passionate union.
(b) A practical, economic union.
(c) A carnal union.
(d) A spiritual union.
2. What happened to Stepan Kasatsky when his father died?
(a) He was kept at home to be educated.
(b) He was sent to a tutor in Moscow.
(c) He was enrolled in military school.
(d) He was sent to Europe for education.
3. Who tries to convince the travelers to rest?
(a) A landowner.
(b) An innkeeper.
(c) Nikita's wife.
(d) As fellow traveler.
4. Where does the road take them after the travelers return to the road?
(a) The Semenov estate.
5. What does Murad intend to do when he reaches his destination?
(a) Surrender to the Russians.
(b) Emigrate to America.
(c) Gather men to fight Shamil.
(d) Fight the Russians.
6. What town do the Russians ultimately destroy?
(a) Shamil's stronghold.
(b) Shamil's hometown.
(c) Murad's hometown.
(d) All the Chechen border towns.
7. What makes Murad suspicious when he reaches his destination?
(a) Some of Shamil's men.
(b) Armed men.
(c) A cold reception.
(d) A large reception.
8. Where does Stepan Kasatsky go after Countess Korotkova tells him about her other lover?
(a) To the country.
(b) To a monastery.
(c) To Petersburg.
(d) To Moscow.
9. Why did Pozdnyshev's wife say she was depressed?
(a) She did not like the town they moved to.
(b) She could not have children.
(c) She did not love him.
(d) She could see he did not love her.
10. How does Stepan Kasatsky respond when Countess Korotkova tells him about her other lover?
(a) He confronts the other man.
(b) He kills her.
(c) He vows to love her eternally.
(d) He breaks off the engagement.
11. How does Pozdnyshev see his marriage after a few weeks?
(a) As a transcendent pleasure.
(b) As a justification for misery.
(c) As a heavy burden.
(d) As a sweet kind of teamwork.
12. When do the travelers finally decide to stop?
(a) When Mukhorty is injured.
(b) When they get stuck in a ravine.
(c) When they lose their way again.
(d) When the sled breaks.
13. How did Murad die?
(a) He was assassinated by Shamil's men.
(b) He was shot in an ambush.
(c) He was killed in battle.
(d) He was betrayed by his own men.
14. Where does Pozdnyshev tell the story of killing his wife?
(a) In prison.
(b) On a train ride.
(c) In a monastery.
(d) In a museum.
15. What power does Father Sergius discover he has?
(d) Arguing law cases.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tolstoy describe Stepan Kasatsky's educational career?
2. What is Mukhorty covered with when he stumbles in a ditch?
3. How does Tolstoy describe Countess Korotkova?
4. What are Stepan Kasatsky's motives for whatever he undertakes?
5. Who gives the travelers directions?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)