|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Tsar suggest to do with Murad?
(a) Send him to Siberia.
(b) Use him to train anti-Chechen fighters.
(c) Use him on the Western front.
(d) Use him against the Chechens.
2. Who is Hadji Murad?
(a) A Turkish fighter.
(b) A Russian soldier.
(c) A Russian prince.
(d) A Chechen fighter.
3. Who is Trukhachevsky?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A young neighbor.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A semi-professional musician.
4. What inspired the jealousy rage in Pozdnyshev?
(a) Catching his wife and Trukhachevsky in the act.
(b) He read his wife's letters.
(c) A business trip.
(d) One of Trukhachevsky's enemies told him about Trukhachevsky's affair with his wife.
5. What does Murad hope for, from the person he is trying to reach?
(a) Safe passage.
(b) A large force.
6. What are Stepan Kasatsky's motives for whatever he undertakes?
(a) To win recognition.
(b) To escape from reality.
(c) To create a disturbance.
(d) To undermine authority.
7. How does Tolstoy describe Stepan Kasatsky's educational career?
8. How does Pozdnyshev view his children?
(a) As a great burden.
(b) As angels.
(c) As consolation for his unhappy marriage.
(d) As a torment.
9. What is Father Sergius's reason for wanting to be transferred out of the city?
(a) Lust for women.
(b) Desire for power.
(c) Desire for money.
(d) Desire for easy city ways.
10. How long did Nikita live after Vasili died?
(a) 2 months.
(b) 2 days.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 20 years.
11. What does Murad ask for when he has reached his destination?
(b) Immediate action.
(d) A prisoner exchange.
12. Where did Vasili borrow money from in the beginning of 'Master and Man'?
(a) The church till.
(b) His neighbor.
(c) His parents.
(d) His servant.
13. Who suggested that Murad be sent to Siberia?
(a) Prince Vorontsov.
(b) The Tsar.
(c) Marya Dmitrievna.
(d) An adviser to the Tsar.
14. Who was Countess Korotkova?
(a) The emperor's concubine.
(b) Stepan Kasatsky's aunt.
(c) Stepan Kasatsky's mother's friend.
(d) A general's wife.
15. Who is Vasili Andreevich?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A priest.
(d) A wealthy innkeeper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Murad want revenge on Shamil?
2. How much money did Vasili borrow?
3. Who is Nikita?
4. What is Mukhorty covered with when he stumbles in a ditch?
5. What role does Pozdnyshev's wife balk at?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)