|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Stepan Kasatsky's motives for whatever he undertakes?
(a) To create a disturbance.
(b) To win recognition.
(c) To escape from reality.
(d) To undermine authority.
2. How much money did Vasili borrow?
(a) 300 rubles.
(b) 2,300 rubles.
(c) 1,500 rubles.
(d) 3,000 rubles.
3. Who is Nikita?
(a) Vasili's neighbor.
(b) Vasili's priest.
(c) Vasili's servant.
(d) Vasili's horse.
4. Why does Murad want revenge on Shamil?
(a) Shamil pushed him out of power.
(b) Shamil killed his brother and father.
(c) Shamil stole from him.
(d) Shamil insulted him.
5. Who is Stepan Kasatsky?
(a) A privileged young man.
(b) A poor inn keeper.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A talented lawyer.
6. Why was Sergius sent to Siberia?
(a) He was arrested for vagrancy.
(b) He was arrested for treason.
(c) He followed a woman there.
(d) He asked to be sent.
7. What is Mukhorty covered with when he stumbles in a ditch?
(d) Hoar frost.
8. What is Stepan Kasatsky's relation with the court of Emperor Nicholas I?
(a) Stepan Kasatsky's mother was daughter of a high-ranking officer.
(b) Stepan Kasatsky's father was an outstanding military officer.
(c) Stepan Kasatsky's family was promoted to the nobility by Emperor Nicholas I.
(d) Stepan Kasatsky married an admiral's daughter.
9. Who nearly captures Murad and his men?
(b) Some Chechens.
10. How does Tolstoy describe Stepan Kasatsky's educational career?
11. What does Tolstoy say Pozdnyshev is oblivious to in his marriage?
(a) His wife's unhappiness.
(b) His children's hate for him.
(c) His wife's illness.
(d) His wife's affairs.
12. How does Tolstoy say Stepan Kasatsky feels about the Emperor?
13. Where does Murad stay while he is in flight?
(a) He stays on the move.
(b) In the forest.
(c) On the streets.
(d) With friends.
14. Who is Shamil?
(a) A Russian general.
(b) A Chechen fighter.
(c) A Turkish soldier.
(d) The Chechen leader.
15. How does Marya Dmitrievna denounce Hadji Aga and his men?
(a) As traitors.
(b) As thieves.
(c) As swine.
(d) As cutthroats.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mukhorty?
2. Who tries to convince the travelers to rest?
3. Who was Countess Korotkova?
4. What desire did Pozdnyshev's wife have, which doctors frustrated?
5. How does Pozdnyshev view his children?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)