|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Vasili borrow money from in the beginning of 'Master and Man'?
(a) His servant.
(b) The church till.
(c) His neighbor.
(d) His parents.
2. Who is Nikita?
(a) Vasili's neighbor.
(b) Vasili's horse.
(c) Vasili's priest.
(d) Vasili's servant.
3. What power does Father Sergius discover he has?
(b) Arguing law cases.
4. What was Stepan Kasatsky 'given to' from time to time?
(a) Fits of temper.
(b) Fits of laughing.
(c) Fits of jealousy.
(d) Fits of generosity.
5. Who is Hadji Murad?
(a) A Russian soldier.
(b) A Russian prince.
(c) A Chechen fighter.
(d) A Turkish fighter.
6. Why does Murad want revenge on Shamil?
(a) Shamil pushed him out of power.
(b) Shamil killed his brother and father.
(c) Shamil stole from him.
(d) Shamil insulted him.
7. What inspired the jealousy rage in Pozdnyshev?
(a) A business trip.
(b) One of Trukhachevsky's enemies told him about Trukhachevsky's affair with his wife.
(c) Catching his wife and Trukhachevsky in the act.
(d) He read his wife's letters.
8. How does Nikita treat Mukhorty?
(a) As a low criminal.
(b) As a beast of burden.
(c) As a pet.
(d) As a family member.
9. How does Stepan Kasatsky respond when Countess Korotkova tells him about her other lover?
(a) He kills her.
(b) He confronts the other man.
(c) He vows to love her eternally.
(d) He breaks off the engagement.
10. Who does Pozdnyshev tell his story to?
(a) His cell-mate.
(c) His seat-mate.
(d) A judge and jury.
11. What was Pozdnyshev's justification for killing his wife?
(a) She was ill and suffering.
(b) Desire for her money.
(c) A jealous rage.
(d) He caught her cheating on him.
12. What causes Father Sergius to leave the monastery?
(a) A woman who refuses him.
(b) A woman who seduces him.
(c) A woman who tempts him.
(d) A woman who seduced his spiritual leader.
13. What does Vasili decide to do when they have lost the road?
(a) Continue through potato fields.
(b) Camp where they are.
(d) Cast about in circles for the road.
14. How does Pozdnyshev describe his union with his wife?
(a) A carnal union.
(b) A spiritual union.
(c) A practical, economic union.
(d) A passionate union.
15. What role does Pozdnyshev's wife balk at?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stepan Kasatsky's relation with the court of Emperor Nicholas I?
2. Who tries to convince the travelers to rest?
3. Why did Pozdnyshev's wife say she was depressed?
4. How does Marya Dmitrievna denounce Hadji Aga and his men?
5. What is it called when Vasili dies protecting Nikita?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)