|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who suggested that Murad be sent to Siberia?
(a) An adviser to the Tsar.
(b) The Tsar.
(c) Prince Vorontsov.
(d) Marya Dmitrievna.
2. What does Murad ultimately plan to do?
(a) Make money and get famous.
(b) Attack Shamil's stronghold and eliminate him.
(c) Establish Russian rule over Chechnya.
(d) Repatriate in Russia.
3. How does Pozdnyshev view his children?
(a) As a torment.
(b) As consolation for his unhappy marriage.
(c) As angels.
(d) As a great burden.
4. What was Pozdnyshev's justification for killing his wife?
(a) Desire for her money.
(b) She was ill and suffering.
(c) A jealous rage.
(d) He caught her cheating on him.
5. What was Stepan Kasatsky 'given to' from time to time?
(a) Fits of generosity.
(b) Fits of temper.
(c) Fits of laughing.
(d) Fits of jealousy.
6. How does Pozdnyshev see his marriage after a few weeks?
(a) As a transcendent pleasure.
(b) As a sweet kind of teamwork.
(c) As a justification for misery.
(d) As a heavy burden.
7. Who nearly captures Murad and his men?
(d) Some Chechens.
8. Why is it urgent for Vasili and Nikita and Mukhorty to reach their destination in the snow storm?
(a) Mukhorty needs medical attention.
(b) Vasili's mother is ill.
(c) Nikita's mother is ill.
(d) Vasili wants to make a bid on some land there.
9. Whose house do the travelers stop at?
(a) The wealthiest man in Grishkino.
(b) Vasili's cousin.
(c) Nikita's wife.
(d) The mayor of Goryachkin.
10. What makes Murad suspicious when he reaches his destination?
(a) A cold reception.
(b) Armed men.
(c) Some of Shamil's men.
(d) A large reception.
11. Who does Pozdnyshev tell his story to?
(a) His seat-mate.
(b) His cell-mate.
(c) A judge and jury.
12. How does Pozdnyshev describe his marriage as he sees it in post-coital reflection?
(a) As two terrified children trying to save each other.
(b) As two animals desperate to consume each other.
(c) As two egoists foreign to each other.
(d) As to cold souls begrudging each other their pleasure.
13. What does Murad hope for, from the person he is trying to reach?
(a) A large force.
(d) Safe passage.
14. Where did Vasili borrow money from in the beginning of 'Master and Man'?
(a) His parents.
(b) The church till.
(c) His neighbor.
(d) His servant.
15. How does Tolstoy describe Stepan Kasatsky's educational career?
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Pozdnyshev's wife balk at?
2. How long after their wedding was Pozdnyshev's wife depressed?
3. Why was Sergius sent to Siberia?
4. What were Pozdnyshev and his wife like in private together?
5. When do the travelers finally decide to stop?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)