|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Father Sergius to leave the monastery?
(a) A woman who tempts him.
(b) A woman who seduced his spiritual leader.
(c) A woman who seduces him.
(d) A woman who refuses him.
2. What does Pozdnyshev say he was determined to do throughout his marriage?
(a) Kill his wife.
(b) Carry on his affairs.
(c) Ignore his wife's affairs.
(d) Remain faithful.
3. Where does Stepan Kasatsky go after Countess Korotkova tells him about her other lover?
(a) To a monastery.
(b) To the country.
(c) To Moscow.
(d) To Petersburg.
4. How does Pozdnyshev see his marriage after a few weeks?
(a) As a justification for misery.
(b) As a heavy burden.
(c) As a sweet kind of teamwork.
(d) As a transcendent pleasure.
5. What was Pozdnyshev's justification for killing his wife?
(a) She was ill and suffering.
(b) A jealous rage.
(c) Desire for her money.
(d) He caught her cheating on him.
6. How did Murad die?
(a) He was betrayed by his own men.
(b) He was killed in battle.
(c) He was assassinated by Shamil's men.
(d) He was shot in an ambush.
7. What were Pozdnyshev and his wife like in private together?
(c) Warmly affectionate.
8. What is it called when Vasili dies protecting Nikita?
(c) Dramatic irony.
9. Who is Stepan Kasatsky?
(a) A talented lawyer.
(b) A poor inn keeper.
(c) A privileged young man.
(d) A soldier.
10. How does Tolstoy describe Stepan Kasatsky's educational career?
11. Who nearly captures Murad and his men?
(b) Some Chechens.
12. Who does Pozdnyshev tell his story to?
(a) His seat-mate.
(b) A judge and jury.
(d) His cell-mate.
13. What is Stepan Kasatsky's relation with the court of Emperor Nicholas I?
(a) Stepan Kasatsky's mother was daughter of a high-ranking officer.
(b) Stepan Kasatsky's family was promoted to the nobility by Emperor Nicholas I.
(c) Stepan Kasatsky's father was an outstanding military officer.
(d) Stepan Kasatsky married an admiral's daughter.
14. What does Murad intend to do when he reaches his destination?
(a) Surrender to the Russians.
(b) Fight the Russians.
(c) Gather men to fight Shamil.
(d) Emigrate to America.
15. Why is it urgent for Vasili and Nikita and Mukhorty to reach their destination in the snow storm?
(a) Vasili wants to make a bid on some land there.
(b) Mukhorty needs medical attention.
(c) Nikita's mother is ill.
(d) Vasili's mother is ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nikita treat Mukhorty?
2. What does Tolstoy say Pozdnyshev is oblivious to in his marriage?
3. What happened to Stepan Kasatsky when his father died?
4. What makes Murad suspicious when he reaches his destination?
5. What significance does Pashenka have to Sergius after Sergius leaves the monastery?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)