|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Father Sergius to leave the monastery?
(a) A woman who refuses him.
(b) A woman who seduces him.
(c) A woman who tempts him.
(d) A woman who seduced his spiritual leader.
2. Who found Nikita after the snow storm?
(b) Vasili's servants.
(c) People from the Semenov estate.
3. What were Pozdnyshev and his wife like in private together?
(b) Warmly affectionate.
4. How does Nikita treat Mukhorty?
(a) As a pet.
(b) As a beast of burden.
(c) As a low criminal.
(d) As a family member.
5. How does Tolstoy say Stepan Kasatsky feels about the Emperor?
6. When do the travelers finally decide to stop?
(a) When they lose their way again.
(b) When they get stuck in a ravine.
(c) When the sled breaks.
(d) When Mukhorty is injured.
7. What does Pozdnyshev say he was determined to do throughout his marriage?
(a) Kill his wife.
(b) Carry on his affairs.
(c) Ignore his wife's affairs.
(d) Remain faithful.
8. What is Father Sergius's reason for wanting to be transferred out of the city?
(a) Desire for power.
(b) Desire for money.
(c) Desire for easy city ways.
(d) Lust for women.
9. Who is Hadji Murad?
(a) A Chechen fighter.
(b) A Russian soldier.
(c) A Turkish fighter.
(d) A Russian prince.
10. Who is Mukhorty?
(a) Vasili's servant.
(b) Vasili's horse.
(c) Vasili's neighbor.
(d) Vasili's priest.
11. How did Murad die?
(a) He was betrayed by his own men.
(b) He was shot in an ambush.
(c) He was assassinated by Shamil's men.
(d) He was killed in battle.
12. Where does Pozdnyshev tell the story of killing his wife?
(a) In a monastery.
(b) On a train ride.
(c) In a museum.
(d) In prison.
13. What was Stepan Kasatsky 'given to' from time to time?
(a) Fits of generosity.
(b) Fits of jealousy.
(c) Fits of laughing.
(d) Fits of temper.
14. Who is Murad hoping to reach at his destination?
(a) Marya Dmitrievna.
(b) Prince Vorontsov.
(c) Shamil's general.
(d) Emperor Nicholas I.
15. How does Tolstoy describe Stepan Kasatsky's educational career?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Sergius sent to Siberia?
2. What doest Stepan Kasatsky tell Countess Korotkova?
3. What is Stepan Kasatsky's relation with the court of Emperor Nicholas I?
4. How does Pozdnyshev describe his marriage as he sees it in post-coital reflection?
5. Who is Stepan Kasatsky?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)