|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Murad ask for when he has reached his destination?
(a) Immediate action.
(b) A prisoner exchange.
2. What makes Murad suspicious when he reaches his destination?
(a) Armed men.
(b) A cold reception.
(c) Some of Shamil's men.
(d) A large reception.
3. Who is Vasili Andreevich?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A wealthy innkeeper.
(c) A priest.
(d) A soldier.
4. How does Pozdnyshev describe his and his wife's courtship?
5. Where are Vasili and Nikita and Mukhorty traveling to?
(d) The Semenov estate.
6. Who tries to convince the travelers to rest?
(a) As fellow traveler.
(b) A landowner.
(c) Nikita's wife.
(d) An innkeeper.
7. What is it called when Vasili dies protecting Nikita?
(a) Dramatic irony.
8. Where does the road take them after the travelers return to the road?
(c) The Semenov estate.
9. How does Stepan Kasatsky respond when Countess Korotkova tells him about her other lover?
(a) He kills her.
(b) He vows to love her eternally.
(c) He confronts the other man.
(d) He breaks off the engagement.
10. Who nearly captures Murad and his men?
(d) Some Chechens.
11. What is Father Sergius's reason for wanting to be transferred out of the city?
(a) Desire for easy city ways.
(b) Desire for power.
(c) Desire for money.
(d) Lust for women.
12. What does Father Sergius do when he is aware of his lust for Makovkina?
(a) Move to the city.
(b) Kill himself.
(c) Move to the country.
(d) Cut off his finger.
13. How much money did Vasili borrow?
(a) 2,300 rubles.
(b) 1,500 rubles.
(c) 3,000 rubles.
(d) 300 rubles.
14. What does Murad intend to do when he reaches his destination?
(a) Surrender to the Russians.
(b) Gather men to fight Shamil.
(c) Fight the Russians.
(d) Emigrate to America.
15. What does Pozdnyshev say he was determined to do throughout his marriage?
(a) Remain faithful.
(b) Carry on his affairs.
(c) Ignore his wife's affairs.
(d) Kill his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Pozdnyshev's justification for killing his wife?
2. Where did Vasili borrow money from in the beginning of 'Master and Man'?
3. Who does Pozdnyshev tell his story to?
4. What is Stepan Kasatsky's relation with the court of Emperor Nicholas I?
5. What does Murad hope for, from the person he is trying to reach?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)