|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Pozdnyshev describe his union with his wife?
(a) A carnal union.
(b) A passionate union.
(c) A practical, economic union.
(d) A spiritual union.
2. Why did Pozdnyshev's wife say she was depressed?
(a) She did not like the town they moved to.
(b) She did not love him.
(c) She could not have children.
(d) She could see he did not love her.
3. Who is Shamil?
(a) A Turkish soldier.
(b) A Russian general.
(c) The Chechen leader.
(d) A Chechen fighter.
4. Who is Murad hoping to reach at his destination?
(a) Shamil's general.
(b) Emperor Nicholas I.
(c) Prince Vorontsov.
(d) Marya Dmitrievna.
5. How long did Nikita live after Vasili died?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 2 months.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 20 years.
6. When do the travelers finally decide to stop?
(a) When they get stuck in a ravine.
(b) When Mukhorty is injured.
(c) When they lose their way again.
(d) When the sled breaks.
7. What does Murad ultimately plan to do?
(a) Repatriate in Russia.
(b) Establish Russian rule over Chechnya.
(c) Make money and get famous.
(d) Attack Shamil's stronghold and eliminate him.
8. How long after their wedding was Pozdnyshev's wife depressed?
(a) Three days.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Three months.
(d) Three years.
9. What is it called when Vasili dies protecting Nikita?
(d) Dramatic irony.
10. What does Vasili decide to do when they have lost the road?
(a) Camp where they are.
(c) Continue through potato fields.
(d) Cast about in circles for the road.
11. Who nearly captures Murad and his men?
(c) Some Chechens.
12. Where does Stepan Kasatsky go after Countess Korotkova tells him about her other lover?
(a) To Petersburg.
(b) To a monastery.
(c) To Moscow.
(d) To the country.
13. How does Pozdnyshev view his children?
(a) As a great burden.
(b) As a torment.
(c) As angels.
(d) As consolation for his unhappy marriage.
14. Where does Murad stay while he is in flight?
(a) He stays on the move.
(b) With friends.
(c) In the forest.
(d) On the streets.
15. How does Pozdnyshev describe his and his wife's courtship?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stepan Kasatsky respond when Countess Korotkova tells him about her other lover?
2. How does Marya Dmitrievna denounce Hadji Aga and his men?
3. How does Nikita treat Mukhorty?
4. Who tries to convince the travelers to rest?
5. What are Stepan Kasatsky's motives for whatever he undertakes?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)