|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Father Sergius's reason for wanting to be transferred out of the city?
(a) Lust for women.
(b) Desire for money.
(c) Desire for easy city ways.
(d) Desire for power.
2. What does Murad ultimately plan to do?
(a) Establish Russian rule over Chechnya.
(b) Make money and get famous.
(c) Repatriate in Russia.
(d) Attack Shamil's stronghold and eliminate him.
3. What doest Stepan Kasatsky tell Countess Korotkova?
(a) That he would kill her if he ever found out she betrayed him.
(b) That she made him a better person.
(c) That he was terribly devoted.
(d) That his love for her scared him.
4. What role does Pozdnyshev's wife balk at?
5. Who found Nikita after the snow storm?
(b) Vasili's servants.
(c) People from the Semenov estate.
6. What did the Tsar suggest to do with Murad?
(a) Use him to train anti-Chechen fighters.
(b) Send him to Siberia.
(c) Use him on the Western front.
(d) Use him against the Chechens.
7. How does Nikita treat Mukhorty?
(a) As a beast of burden.
(b) As a family member.
(c) As a pet.
(d) As a low criminal.
8. What does Father Sergius do when he is aware of his lust for Makovkina?
(a) Move to the country.
(b) Cut off his finger.
(c) Kill himself.
(d) Move to the city.
9. Who is Nikita?
(a) Vasili's servant.
(b) Vasili's horse.
(c) Vasili's priest.
(d) Vasili's neighbor.
10. Who is Trukhachevsky?
(a) A young neighbor.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A semi-professional musician.
11. Who is Murad hoping to reach at his destination?
(a) Marya Dmitrievna.
(b) Prince Vorontsov.
(c) Emperor Nicholas I.
(d) Shamil's general.
12. How does Pozdnyshev describe his marriage as he sees it in post-coital reflection?
(a) As two egoists foreign to each other.
(b) As two animals desperate to consume each other.
(c) As two terrified children trying to save each other.
(d) As to cold souls begrudging each other their pleasure.
13. What causes Father Sergius to leave the monastery?
(a) A woman who seduced his spiritual leader.
(b) A woman who tempts him.
(c) A woman who refuses him.
(d) A woman who seduces him.
14. What does Tolstoy say Pozdnyshev is oblivious to in his marriage?
(a) His wife's illness.
(b) His wife's affairs.
(c) His children's hate for him.
(d) His wife's unhappiness.
15. What was Pozdnyshev's justification for killing his wife?
(a) A jealous rage.
(b) He caught her cheating on him.
(c) Desire for her money.
(d) She was ill and suffering.
Short Answer Questions
1. What power does Father Sergius discover he has?
2. What was Stepan Kasatsky 'given to' from time to time?
3. Why did Pozdnyshev's wife say she was depressed?
4. Who is Vasili Andreevich?
5. How does Stepan Kasatsky respond when Countess Korotkova tells him about her other lover?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)