|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Stepan Kasatsky's relation with the court of Emperor Nicholas I?
(a) Stepan Kasatsky's family was promoted to the nobility by Emperor Nicholas I.
(b) Stepan Kasatsky's mother was daughter of a high-ranking officer.
(c) Stepan Kasatsky married an admiral's daughter.
(d) Stepan Kasatsky's father was an outstanding military officer.
2. When do the travelers finally decide to stop?
(a) When they lose their way again.
(b) When Mukhorty is injured.
(c) When the sled breaks.
(d) When they get stuck in a ravine.
3. How does Pozdnyshev describe his union with his wife?
(a) A spiritual union.
(b) A carnal union.
(c) A passionate union.
(d) A practical, economic union.
4. What power does Father Sergius discover he has?
(c) Arguing law cases.
5. How does Pozdnyshev see his marriage after a few weeks?
(a) As a sweet kind of teamwork.
(b) As a heavy burden.
(c) As a justification for misery.
(d) As a transcendent pleasure.
6. Who does Pozdnyshev tell his story to?
(a) His cell-mate.
(c) A judge and jury.
(d) His seat-mate.
7. Who is Murad hoping to reach at his destination?
(a) Marya Dmitrievna.
(b) Prince Vorontsov.
(c) Shamil's general.
(d) Emperor Nicholas I.
8. How does Tolstoy describe Stepan Kasatsky's educational career?
9. How did Murad die?
(a) He was assassinated by Shamil's men.
(b) He was betrayed by his own men.
(c) He was killed in battle.
(d) He was shot in an ambush.
10. What is Mukhorty covered with when he stumbles in a ditch?
(d) Hoar frost.
11. Where are Vasili and Nikita and Mukhorty traveling to?
(a) The Semenov estate.
12. Where is Murad fleeing to?
(c) The Caucasus.
(d) The Russian fort at Vozvizhensk.
13. What was Stepan Kasatsky 'given to' from time to time?
(a) Fits of jealousy.
(b) Fits of generosity.
(c) Fits of temper.
(d) Fits of laughing.
14. How does Pozdnyshev view his children?
(a) As a great burden.
(b) As angels.
(c) As consolation for his unhappy marriage.
(d) As a torment.
15. Who is Vasili Andreevich?
(a) A wealthy innkeeper.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Stepan Kasatsky?
2. What does Murad ultimately plan to do?
3. How does Pozdnyshev's wife try to escape from her unhappiness?
4. Where does Pozdnyshev tell the story of killing his wife?
5. Who is Nikita?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)