|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Tsar suggest to do with Murad?
(a) Use him to train anti-Chechen fighters.
(b) Send him to Siberia.
(c) Use him on the Western front.
(d) Use him against the Chechens.
2. Who is Stepan Kasatsky?
(a) A talented lawyer.
(b) A poor inn keeper.
(c) A privileged young man.
(d) A soldier.
3. Who is Hadji Murad?
(a) A Russian soldier.
(b) A Russian prince.
(c) A Turkish fighter.
(d) A Chechen fighter.
4. Where does the road take them after the travelers return to the road?
(b) The Semenov estate.
5. Where does Murad stay while he is in flight?
(a) With friends.
(b) In the forest.
(c) He stays on the move.
(d) On the streets.
6. How does Pozdnyshev's wife try to escape from her unhappiness?
(a) By gossiping.
(b) By playing piano.
(c) By singing.
(d) By having affairs.
7. Who is Shamil?
(a) A Turkish soldier.
(b) A Chechen fighter.
(c) A Russian general.
(d) The Chechen leader.
8. What does Tolstoy say Pozdnyshev is oblivious to in his marriage?
(a) His wife's illness.
(b) His wife's unhappiness.
(c) His children's hate for him.
(d) His wife's affairs.
9. How does Pozdnyshev view his children?
(a) As consolation for his unhappy marriage.
(b) As angels.
(c) As a torment.
(d) As a great burden.
10. Who suggested that Murad be sent to Siberia?
(a) Marya Dmitrievna.
(b) Prince Vorontsov.
(c) An adviser to the Tsar.
(d) The Tsar.
11. What inspired the jealousy rage in Pozdnyshev?
(a) Catching his wife and Trukhachevsky in the act.
(b) He read his wife's letters.
(c) One of Trukhachevsky's enemies told him about Trukhachevsky's affair with his wife.
(d) A business trip.
12. Who tries to convince the travelers to rest?
(a) An innkeeper.
(b) As fellow traveler.
(c) A landowner.
(d) Nikita's wife.
13. How does Pozdnyshev describe his and his wife's courtship?
14. How did Murad die?
(a) He was betrayed by his own men.
(b) He was killed in battle.
(c) He was shot in an ambush.
(d) He was assassinated by Shamil's men.
15. Who does Pozdnyshev tell his story to?
(a) A judge and jury.
(c) His cell-mate.
(d) His seat-mate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it called when Vasili dies protecting Nikita?
2. What are Stepan Kasatsky's motives for whatever he undertakes?
3. How long did Nikita live after Vasili died?
4. What happened to Stepan Kasatsky when his father died?
5. Where did Vasili borrow money from in the beginning of 'Master and Man'?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)