|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Stepan Kasatsky 'given to' from time to time?
(a) Fits of laughing.
(b) Fits of jealousy.
(c) Fits of generosity.
(d) Fits of temper.
2. What desire did Pozdnyshev's wife have, which doctors frustrated?
(a) To bear children.
(b) To take care of Pozdnyshev.
(c) To take a lover.
(d) To nurse her child.
3. What significance does Pashenka have to Sergius after Sergius leaves the monastery?
(a) He wants to punish her for leading him astray.
(b) He wants to set things right with her.
(c) She seems like a means to salvation for him.
(d) He wants to devote himself to her.
4. Who suggested that Murad be sent to Siberia?
(a) The Tsar.
(b) Marya Dmitrievna.
(c) Prince Vorontsov.
(d) An adviser to the Tsar.
5. Who gives the travelers directions?
(a) A landowner in Goryachkin.
(b) A servant.
(c) An innkeeper in Grishkino.
(d) A fellow traveler.
6. What makes Murad suspicious when he reaches his destination?
(a) A cold reception.
(b) A large reception.
(c) Armed men.
(d) Some of Shamil's men.
7. Where are Vasili and Nikita and Mukhorty traveling to?
(c) The Semenov estate.
8. Where does Pozdnyshev tell the story of killing his wife?
(a) In a museum.
(b) In a monastery.
(c) In prison.
(d) On a train ride.
9. What is Father Sergius's reason for wanting to be transferred out of the city?
(a) Desire for money.
(b) Desire for easy city ways.
(c) Lust for women.
(d) Desire for power.
10. How does Pozdnyshev's wife try to escape from her unhappiness?
(a) By singing.
(b) By gossiping.
(c) By playing piano.
(d) By having affairs.
11. How does Pozdnyshev describe his and his wife's courtship?
12. How does Pozdnyshev view his children?
(a) As angels.
(b) As a torment.
(c) As consolation for his unhappy marriage.
(d) As a great burden.
13. Who does Pozdnyshev tell his story to?
(b) His cell-mate.
(c) His seat-mate.
(d) A judge and jury.
14. How does Tolstoy describe Stepan Kasatsky's educational career?
15. Where is Murad fleeing to?
(b) The Russian fort at Vozvizhensk.
(d) The Caucasus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it urgent for Vasili and Nikita and Mukhorty to reach their destination in the snow storm?
2. What are Stepan Kasatsky's motives for whatever he undertakes?
3. What is Mukhorty covered with when he stumbles in a ditch?
4. How much money did Vasili borrow?
5. How does Pozdnyshev describe his marriage as he sees it in post-coital reflection?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)