|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marya Dmitrievna denounce Hadji Aga and his men?
(a) As cutthroats.
(b) As swine.
(c) As thieves.
(d) As traitors.
2. Whose house do the travelers stop at?
(a) Nikita's wife.
(b) The wealthiest man in Grishkino.
(c) The mayor of Goryachkin.
(d) Vasili's cousin.
3. Why is it urgent for Vasili and Nikita and Mukhorty to reach their destination in the snow storm?
(a) Nikita's mother is ill.
(b) Vasili's mother is ill.
(c) Mukhorty needs medical attention.
(d) Vasili wants to make a bid on some land there.
4. How does Pozdnyshev describe his marriage as he sees it in post-coital reflection?
(a) As two egoists foreign to each other.
(b) As two terrified children trying to save each other.
(c) As to cold souls begrudging each other their pleasure.
(d) As two animals desperate to consume each other.
5. What does Murad intend to do when he reaches his destination?
(a) Surrender to the Russians.
(b) Emigrate to America.
(c) Fight the Russians.
(d) Gather men to fight Shamil.
6. Where does Murad stay while he is in flight?
(a) With friends.
(b) In the forest.
(c) He stays on the move.
(d) On the streets.
7. How does Tolstoy describe Countess Korotkova?
8. Who tries to convince the travelers to rest?
(a) A landowner.
(b) Nikita's wife.
(c) An innkeeper.
(d) As fellow traveler.
9. Who suggested that Murad be sent to Siberia?
(a) Marya Dmitrievna.
(b) Prince Vorontsov.
(c) The Tsar.
(d) An adviser to the Tsar.
10. What is it called when Vasili dies protecting Nikita?
(b) Dramatic irony.
11. Where is Murad fleeing to?
(a) The Caucasus.
(c) The Russian fort at Vozvizhensk.
12. Who does Pozdnyshev tell his story to?
(a) A judge and jury.
(c) His cell-mate.
(d) His seat-mate.
13. What does Tolstoy say Pozdnyshev is oblivious to in his marriage?
(a) His wife's illness.
(b) His wife's affairs.
(c) His children's hate for him.
(d) His wife's unhappiness.
14. Where does the road take them after the travelers return to the road?
(a) The Semenov estate.
15. Who is Vasili Andreevich?
(a) A wealthy innkeeper.
(b) A priest.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A lawyer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What town do the Russians ultimately destroy?
2. What inspired the jealousy rage in Pozdnyshev?
3. Where did Vasili borrow money from in the beginning of 'Master and Man'?
4. What does Murad ultimately plan to do?
5. How does Stepan Kasatsky respond when Countess Korotkova tells him about her other lover?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)