|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mukhorty?
(a) Vasili's horse.
(b) Vasili's servant.
(c) Vasili's neighbor.
(d) Vasili's priest.
2. How does Pozdnyshev describe his union with his wife?
(a) A spiritual union.
(b) A carnal union.
(c) A practical, economic union.
(d) A passionate union.
3. What causes Father Sergius to leave the monastery?
(a) A woman who refuses him.
(b) A woman who seduced his spiritual leader.
(c) A woman who tempts him.
(d) A woman who seduces him.
4. What does Vasili decide to do when they have lost the road?
(a) Continue through potato fields.
(b) Cast about in circles for the road.
(c) Camp where they are.
5. Why has Shamil ordered Murad's family to be arrested?
(a) Murad had spoken against the Chechen cause.
(b) Murad had murdered a man.
(c) A conflict between Shamil and Murad.
(d) Shamil was trying to consolidate his power.
6. How does Pozdnyshev describe his marriage as he sees it in post-coital reflection?
(a) As two animals desperate to consume each other.
(b) As two egoists foreign to each other.
(c) As to cold souls begrudging each other their pleasure.
(d) As two terrified children trying to save each other.
7. Who is Trukhachevsky?
(a) A semi-professional musician.
(b) A young neighbor.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A soldier.
8. How does Tolstoy describe Stepan Kasatsky's educational career?
9. How does Marya Dmitrievna denounce Hadji Aga and his men?
(a) As thieves.
(b) As traitors.
(c) As cutthroats.
(d) As swine.
10. Who found Nikita after the snow storm?
(b) Vasili's servants.
(d) People from the Semenov estate.
11. What was Pozdnyshev's justification for killing his wife?
(a) He caught her cheating on him.
(b) She was ill and suffering.
(c) A jealous rage.
(d) Desire for her money.
12. How does Nikita treat Mukhorty?
(a) As a beast of burden.
(b) As a family member.
(c) As a low criminal.
(d) As a pet.
13. How does Tolstoy describe Countess Korotkova?
14. When do the travelers finally decide to stop?
(a) When they lose their way again.
(b) When they get stuck in a ravine.
(c) When the sled breaks.
(d) When Mukhorty is injured.
15. What are Stepan Kasatsky's motives for whatever he undertakes?
(a) To undermine authority.
(b) To escape from reality.
(c) To create a disturbance.
(d) To win recognition.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hadji Murad?
2. What power does Father Sergius discover he has?
3. How does Pozdnyshev view his children?
4. What does Pozdnyshev say he was determined to do throughout his marriage?
5. What does Murad ultimately plan to do?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)