|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mukhorty covered with when he stumbles in a ditch?
(a) Hoar frost.
2. How does Stepan Kasatsky respond when Countess Korotkova tells him about her other lover?
(a) He breaks off the engagement.
(b) He confronts the other man.
(c) He vows to love her eternally.
(d) He kills her.
3. Whose house do the travelers stop at?
(a) The mayor of Goryachkin.
(b) The wealthiest man in Grishkino.
(c) Vasili's cousin.
(d) Nikita's wife.
4. Why did Pozdnyshev's wife say she was depressed?
(a) She could not have children.
(b) She could see he did not love her.
(c) She did not like the town they moved to.
(d) She did not love him.
5. Why has Shamil ordered Murad's family to be arrested?
(a) Murad had spoken against the Chechen cause.
(b) Shamil was trying to consolidate his power.
(c) A conflict between Shamil and Murad.
(d) Murad had murdered a man.
6. What town do the Russians ultimately destroy?
(a) Shamil's hometown.
(b) Murad's hometown.
(c) Shamil's stronghold.
(d) All the Chechen border towns.
7. Why does Murad want revenge on Shamil?
(a) Shamil pushed him out of power.
(b) Shamil insulted him.
(c) Shamil stole from him.
(d) Shamil killed his brother and father.
8. What does Father Sergius do when he is aware of his lust for Makovkina?
(a) Move to the country.
(b) Kill himself.
(c) Cut off his finger.
(d) Move to the city.
9. Who is Nikita?
(a) Vasili's horse.
(b) Vasili's priest.
(c) Vasili's neighbor.
(d) Vasili's servant.
10. What inspired the jealousy rage in Pozdnyshev?
(a) Catching his wife and Trukhachevsky in the act.
(b) A business trip.
(c) One of Trukhachevsky's enemies told him about Trukhachevsky's affair with his wife.
(d) He read his wife's letters.
11. How does Tolstoy say Stepan Kasatsky feels about the Emperor?
12. What was Stepan Kasatsky 'given to' from time to time?
(a) Fits of generosity.
(b) Fits of jealousy.
(c) Fits of laughing.
(d) Fits of temper.
13. What are Stepan Kasatsky's motives for whatever he undertakes?
(a) To escape from reality.
(b) To win recognition.
(c) To undermine authority.
(d) To create a disturbance.
14. Where does the road take them after the travelers return to the road?
(a) The Semenov estate.
15. What were Pozdnyshev and his wife like in private together?
(d) Warmly affectionate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who nearly captures Murad and his men?
2. What did the Tsar suggest to do with Murad?
3. What does Murad ask for when he has reached his destination?
4. Where does Stepan Kasatsky go after Countess Korotkova tells him about her other lover?
5. What does Pozdnyshev say he was determined to do throughout his marriage?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)