|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Shamil ordered Murad's family to be arrested?
(a) Murad had murdered a man.
(b) Shamil was trying to consolidate his power.
(c) A conflict between Shamil and Murad.
(d) Murad had spoken against the Chechen cause.
2. Where does Murad stay while he is in flight?
(a) In the forest.
(b) On the streets.
(c) He stays on the move.
(d) With friends.
3. What doest Stepan Kasatsky tell Countess Korotkova?
(a) That he was terribly devoted.
(b) That she made him a better person.
(c) That his love for her scared him.
(d) That he would kill her if he ever found out she betrayed him.
4. Who was Countess Korotkova?
(a) The emperor's concubine.
(b) Stepan Kasatsky's mother's friend.
(c) Stepan Kasatsky's aunt.
(d) A general's wife.
5. Who is Vasili Andreevich?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A priest.
(d) A wealthy innkeeper.
6. What was Pozdnyshev's justification for killing his wife?
(a) He caught her cheating on him.
(b) She was ill and suffering.
(c) Desire for her money.
(d) A jealous rage.
7. When do the travelers finally decide to stop?
(a) When they lose their way again.
(b) When the sled breaks.
(c) When they get stuck in a ravine.
(d) When Mukhorty is injured.
8. What causes Father Sergius to leave the monastery?
(a) A woman who seduces him.
(b) A woman who refuses him.
(c) A woman who seduced his spiritual leader.
(d) A woman who tempts him.
9. What inspired the jealousy rage in Pozdnyshev?
(a) One of Trukhachevsky's enemies told him about Trukhachevsky's affair with his wife.
(b) Catching his wife and Trukhachevsky in the act.
(c) A business trip.
(d) He read his wife's letters.
10. What is Mukhorty covered with when he stumbles in a ditch?
(b) Hoar frost.
11. How does Tolstoy describe Countess Korotkova?
12. Where are Vasili and Nikita and Mukhorty traveling to?
(c) The Semenov estate.
13. How does Tolstoy say Stepan Kasatsky feels about the Emperor?
14. Who nearly captures Murad and his men?
(c) Some Chechens.
15. How did Murad die?
(a) He was shot in an ambush.
(b) He was killed in battle.
(c) He was betrayed by his own men.
(d) He was assassinated by Shamil's men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Murad fleeing to?
2. Whose house do the travelers stop at?
3. Why was Sergius sent to Siberia?
4. What happened to Stepan Kasatsky when his father died?
5. Who is Shamil?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)