|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Pozdnyshev tell his story to?
(a) His cell-mate.
(b) A judge and jury.
(d) His seat-mate.
2. What causes Father Sergius to leave the monastery?
(a) A woman who seduced his spiritual leader.
(b) A woman who refuses him.
(c) A woman who tempts him.
(d) A woman who seduces him.
3. What was Pozdnyshev's justification for killing his wife?
(a) Desire for her money.
(b) He caught her cheating on him.
(c) She was ill and suffering.
(d) A jealous rage.
4. What were Pozdnyshev and his wife like in private together?
(d) Warmly affectionate.
5. What significance does Pashenka have to Sergius after Sergius leaves the monastery?
(a) He wants to devote himself to her.
(b) He wants to set things right with her.
(c) He wants to punish her for leading him astray.
(d) She seems like a means to salvation for him.
6. What is Father Sergius's reason for wanting to be transferred out of the city?
(a) Desire for money.
(b) Desire for power.
(c) Desire for easy city ways.
(d) Lust for women.
7. How long did Nikita live after Vasili died?
(a) 2 months.
(b) 2 days.
(c) 20 years.
(d) 2 weeks.
8. Where does the road take them after the travelers return to the road?
(d) The Semenov estate.
9. Who is Stepan Kasatsky?
(a) A talented lawyer.
(b) A privileged young man.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A poor inn keeper.
10. Whose house do the travelers stop at?
(a) Vasili's cousin.
(b) The wealthiest man in Grishkino.
(c) The mayor of Goryachkin.
(d) Nikita's wife.
11. Who is Hadji Murad?
(a) A Russian soldier.
(b) A Russian prince.
(c) A Turkish fighter.
(d) A Chechen fighter.
12. What makes Murad suspicious when he reaches his destination?
(a) A cold reception.
(b) Some of Shamil's men.
(c) Armed men.
(d) A large reception.
13. Where did Vasili borrow money from in the beginning of 'Master and Man'?
(a) His neighbor.
(b) The church till.
(c) His servant.
(d) His parents.
14. How does Tolstoy say Stepan Kasatsky feels about the Emperor?
15. Who was Countess Korotkova?
(a) The emperor's concubine.
(b) Stepan Kasatsky's mother's friend.
(c) Stepan Kasatsky's aunt.
(d) A general's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Murad stay while he is in flight?
2. Where are Vasili and Nikita and Mukhorty traveling to?
3. Why has Shamil ordered Murad's family to be arrested?
4. What does Father Sergius do when he is aware of his lust for Makovkina?
5. How does Pozdnyshev describe his union with his wife?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)