|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Pozdnyshev tell the story of killing his wife?
(a) On a train ride.
(b) In prison.
(c) In a museum.
(d) In a monastery.
2. Why did Pozdnyshev's wife say she was depressed?
(a) She could see he did not love her.
(b) She could not have children.
(c) She did not like the town they moved to.
(d) She did not love him.
3. How long after their wedding was Pozdnyshev's wife depressed?
(a) Three days.
(b) Three years.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Three months.
4. How much money did Vasili borrow?
(a) 1,500 rubles.
(b) 3,000 rubles.
(c) 300 rubles.
(d) 2,300 rubles.
5. How does Stepan Kasatsky respond when Countess Korotkova tells him about her other lover?
(a) He confronts the other man.
(b) He kills her.
(c) He breaks off the engagement.
(d) He vows to love her eternally.
6. What is Father Sergius's reason for wanting to be transferred out of the city?
(a) Desire for easy city ways.
(b) Lust for women.
(c) Desire for money.
(d) Desire for power.
7. Who found Nikita after the snow storm?
(a) Vasili's servants.
(c) People from the Semenov estate.
8. What does Murad ultimately plan to do?
(a) Attack Shamil's stronghold and eliminate him.
(b) Establish Russian rule over Chechnya.
(c) Repatriate in Russia.
(d) Make money and get famous.
9. Why has Shamil ordered Murad's family to be arrested?
(a) A conflict between Shamil and Murad.
(b) Murad had spoken against the Chechen cause.
(c) Shamil was trying to consolidate his power.
(d) Murad had murdered a man.
10. How does Pozdnyshev see his marriage after a few weeks?
(a) As a heavy burden.
(b) As a transcendent pleasure.
(c) As a justification for misery.
(d) As a sweet kind of teamwork.
11. How does Pozdnyshev's wife try to escape from her unhappiness?
(a) By playing piano.
(b) By gossiping.
(c) By having affairs.
(d) By singing.
12. What makes Murad suspicious when he reaches his destination?
(a) A large reception.
(b) Some of Shamil's men.
(c) A cold reception.
(d) Armed men.
13. Why is it urgent for Vasili and Nikita and Mukhorty to reach their destination in the snow storm?
(a) Vasili wants to make a bid on some land there.
(b) Nikita's mother is ill.
(c) Mukhorty needs medical attention.
(d) Vasili's mother is ill.
14. Who is Nikita?
(a) Vasili's horse.
(b) Vasili's servant.
(c) Vasili's priest.
(d) Vasili's neighbor.
15. How does Tolstoy describe Countess Korotkova?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hadji Murad?
2. What desire did Pozdnyshev's wife have, which doctors frustrated?
3. Where does Stepan Kasatsky go after Countess Korotkova tells him about her other lover?
4. Whose house do the travelers stop at?
5. What does Pozdnyshev say he was determined to do throughout his marriage?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)