|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Pozdnyshev tell the story of killing his wife?
(a) On a train ride.
(b) In prison.
(c) In a museum.
(d) In a monastery.
2. Who is Hadji Murad?
(a) A Chechen fighter.
(b) A Russian soldier.
(c) A Russian prince.
(d) A Turkish fighter.
3. How long did Nikita live after Vasili died?
(a) 2 months.
(b) 2 days.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 20 years.
4. Who found Nikita after the snow storm?
(a) Vasili's servants.
(c) People from the Semenov estate.
5. Where does Murad stay while he is in flight?
(a) On the streets.
(b) With friends.
(c) In the forest.
(d) He stays on the move.
6. What desire did Pozdnyshev's wife have, which doctors frustrated?
(a) To nurse her child.
(b) To take a lover.
(c) To take care of Pozdnyshev.
(d) To bear children.
7. What is Father Sergius's reason for wanting to be transferred out of the city?
(a) Desire for easy city ways.
(b) Desire for money.
(c) Lust for women.
(d) Desire for power.
8. Where does Stepan Kasatsky go after Countess Korotkova tells him about her other lover?
(a) To the country.
(b) To Moscow.
(c) To Petersburg.
(d) To a monastery.
9. Who is Stepan Kasatsky?
(a) A privileged young man.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A talented lawyer.
(d) A poor inn keeper.
10. Where are Vasili and Nikita and Mukhorty traveling to?
(a) The Semenov estate.
11. What is Mukhorty covered with when he stumbles in a ditch?
(a) Hoar frost.
12. What is Stepan Kasatsky's relation with the court of Emperor Nicholas I?
(a) Stepan Kasatsky's family was promoted to the nobility by Emperor Nicholas I.
(b) Stepan Kasatsky married an admiral's daughter.
(c) Stepan Kasatsky's mother was daughter of a high-ranking officer.
(d) Stepan Kasatsky's father was an outstanding military officer.
13. What does Murad hope for, from the person he is trying to reach?
(b) A large force.
(c) Safe passage.
14. How does Tolstoy say Stepan Kasatsky feels about the Emperor?
15. What did the Tsar suggest to do with Murad?
(a) Send him to Siberia.
(b) Use him to train anti-Chechen fighters.
(c) Use him against the Chechens.
(d) Use him on the Western front.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Pozdnyshev's justification for killing his wife?
2. How does Marya Dmitrievna denounce Hadji Aga and his men?
3. What significance does Pashenka have to Sergius after Sergius leaves the monastery?
4. How does Pozdnyshev describe his marriage as he sees it in post-coital reflection?
5. What does Father Sergius do when he is aware of his lust for Makovkina?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)