Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Captain Delano when he first sees Benito Cereno's ship?
2. Why had Jimmy Rose never married?
3. What caused the loss of Jimmy Rose's fortune?
4. Who wrote the book lying on the apple-tree table?
5. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" identify with his chimney?
Essay Topic 1
One recurring theme in Melville's stories is the fate of an innocent man in the grip of malice he does not comprehend. Compare two such protagonists, such as Steelkilt and Billy Budd.
Essay Topic 2
Melville's purposes in writing are both artistic and moralistic. Select a story in which you see his purpose as basically one or the other, and give examples from the story in your essay that support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Melville states that Moby Dick operates to do the work of God by killing Radney. A Deus ex Machina (god out of the machine), where an outside source ends the conflict between characters, is a literary device often disparaged. In your essay, consider its effectiveness in this instance and in other Melville short stories where this method is employed.
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)