Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Captain Delano when he first sees Benito Cereno's ship?
2. Why had Jimmy Rose never married?
3. What caused the loss of Jimmy Rose's fortune?
4. Who wrote the book lying on the apple-tree table?
5. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" identify with his chimney?
Melville has a gift for inventing language: "The picturesque yields to the pocketesque." The government of the island was a "riotocracy." Find and analyze examples of invented language. Are the new words useful? Comprehensible? Effective? Discuss their effect on you as a reader.
Melville's elegaic pieces about the Marquis de Grandvin and others make clear the qualities he most admires. In your essay, use examples from these writings to show what qualities Melville thinks make for human greatness.
One recurring theme in Melville's stories is the fate of an innocent man in the grip of malice he does not comprehend. Compare two such protagonists, such as Steelkilt and Billy Budd.
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)