|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" do with his manuscripts?
2. What first attracts the narrator of "The Piazza" to a building far in the mountains?
3. What sentence was chalked below the figurehead?
4. What rumor pursues Daniel Orme into his life on shore?
5. How does the lightning rod salesman feel about thunderstorms?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the owner of the paper factory in "The Tartarus of Maids" tell the narrator that all of his workers are called "girls"?
2. What does the narrator of "The Piazza" think when he first sees a single bright spot in the northwestern hills?
3. What does the landscape painter, B. Hobbema Brown, believe about the Marquis de Grandvin?
4. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" believe his chimney is good for invalids?
5. In "The Lightning Rod Man," why does the narrator pretend to mistake the salesman for the god Jupiter Tonans?
6. What does Melville say is the difference between boarding a strange ship and entering a strange house?
7. Why did the Spanish naval board of inquiry at first reject parts of Benito Cereno's deposition?
8. What seems odd about Benito Cereno's ship when Captain Delano first sees it?
9. What does the bug in the apple-tree table teach the narrator's daughter, Julia?
10. According to the deposition in "Benito Cereno," what would have happened to Captain Delano if he had suspected a mutiny aboard the San Dominick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Melville's use of time, switching back and forth between present and past tenses in the same story, is an unusual method to bring the reader a sense of immediacy. Select a story such as "The Two Temples" to analyze the effectiveness of this technique.
Essay Topic 2
Melville has a gift for inventing language: "The picturesque yields to the pocketesque." The government of the island was a "riotocracy." Find and analyze examples of invented language. Are the new words useful? Comprehensible? Effective? Discuss their effect on you as a reader.
Essay Topic 3
Melville states that Moby Dick operates to do the work of God by killing Radney. A Deus ex Machina (god out of the machine), where an outside source ends the conflict between characters, is a literary device often disparaged. In your essay, consider its effectiveness in this instance and in other Melville short stories where this method is employed.
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)