Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Captain Delano when he first sees Benito Cereno's ship?
2. Why had Jimmy Rose never married?
3. What caused the loss of Jimmy Rose's fortune?
4. Who wrote the book lying on the apple-tree table?
5. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" identify with his chimney?
Essay Topic 1
Melville's purposes in writing are both artistic and moralistic. Select a story in which you see his purpose as basically one or the other, and give examples from the story in your essay that support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Melville's elegaic pieces about the Marquis de Grandvin and others make clear the qualities he most admires. In your essay, use examples from these writings to show what qualities Melville thinks make for human greatness.
Essay Topic 3
Melville's work is full of allusions to mythic characters and settings with which he expects his reader to be familiar. Select a story such as "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo" or "The Two Temples" to find the references to mythology. Look up the characters or locations and explain in your essay how these references strengthen the story.
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)