|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the arrangement of the office allow Bartleby to do with the narrator?
2. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
3. What does Bartleby's demeanor show about his eccentricities?
4. What human assumption does Melville say is the most preposterous?
5. What did a strange boy give the narrator in the theater?
Short Essay Questions
1. What purpose does the circle of listeners serve in "The Town-Ho's Story"?
2. What does the author of "Poor Man's Pudding" and "Rich Man's Crumbs" pray that Heaven will save him from?
3. Why does Melville come to believe that some buccaneers on the isle of Albermarle must have been gentlemen?
4. What was disrespectful about Radney asking Steelkilt to sweep the deck?
5. What verb tenses does Melville use in "The Two Temples" to bring immediacy to the story?
6. What skills are necessary for a scrivener?
7. Why does Melville call Redondo the "aviary of the ocean"?
8. What does the narrator say happens to one in command who discovers a subordinate who is "significantly his superior"?
9. How does the narrator respond the first time Bartleby answers a request with, "I would prefer not to"?
10. Why does the narrator say that pity turns into repulsion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Melville was capable of a wide range of diction, or word choice, ranging from the staccato exclamations of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo" to the alliterations of "The Encantadas," (an archipelago of aridities), to biblical allusions ("A virtue went out of him . . ." "I became a pillar of salt . . ."). Select one form of diction that impressed you about these stories, show examples of its use, and analyze its effectiveness.
Essay Topic 2
When Billy Budd is impressed into the royal navy, the captain of the ship he is leaving says that a former enemy, called Red Whiskers, " . . . now really loves Billy--loves him or is the biggest hypocrite that ever I heard of." Is this an instance of skillful foreshadowing? In your essay, analyze why the captain's lament is or is not an example of Melville's foreshadowing the main conflict in Billy Budd.
Essay Topic 3
Melville states that Moby Dick operates to do the work of God by killing Radney. A Deus ex Machina (god out of the machine), where an outside source ends the conflict between characters, is a literary device often disparaged. In your essay, consider its effectiveness in this instance and in other Melville short stories where this method is employed.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)