|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "The Piazza" feel that the house must have a piazza?
(a) A piazza would increase the home's value.
(b) All the neighbors have piazzas.
(c) The house has a spectacular view.
(d) Piazzas are in fashion.
2. What emblem does John Gentian refuse to wear?
(a) Any emblem of wealth.
(b) Any American flag.
(c) Any Civil War emblem.
(d) Any Revolutionary War emblem.
3. In "The Piazza," how does the narrator's house look to the inhabitants of the mountain cottage?
(a) Like a prison.
(b) Like a mansion.
(c) Like a happy place.
(d) Like a palace.
4. What does Benito Cereno say has happened to his partner, Alexandro Aranda?
(a) He was murdered.
(b) He left the ship at the last port.
(c) He died of fever.
(d) He fell overboard.
5. What surprises Captain Delano when he first sees Benito Cereno's ship?
(a) The ship is giving a distress signal.
(b) The ship is in ill repair.
(c) The ship doesn't fly the flag of any nation.
(d) The ship is bound for an uninhabited island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the loss of Jimmy Rose's fortune?
2. What first attracts the narrator of "The Piazza" to a building far in the mountains?
3. How do the bachelors in the Temple keep time?
4. Where do "'Gees" come from?
5. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" identify with his chimney?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the landscape painter, B. Hobbema Brown, believe about the Marquis de Grandvin?
2. Why do the peacocks on the wallpaper in the parlor seem to the narrator to represent Jimmy Rose?
3. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" believe his chimney is good for invalids?
4. Why does the owner of the paper factory in "The Tartarus of Maids" tell the narrator that all of his workers are called "girls"?
5. What is the figurehead on the San Dominick?
6. Why does the narrator of "The Lightning Rod Man" compare the salesman to a worm?
7. What does Melville say is the difference between boarding a strange ship and entering a strange house?
8. What foibles does the narrator claim Jack Gentian possesses?
9. Why is the narrator despondent at the beginning of "The Fiddler"?
10. Why did the Spanish naval board of inquiry at first reject parts of Benito Cereno's deposition?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)