|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Hautboy accomplished in "The Fiddler?"
(a) Hautboy has developed great technical proficiency.
(b) Hautboy has become rich.
(c) Hautboy has become famous.
(d) Hautboy has learned to be happy.
2. Whose cause does the Marquis de Grandvin champion?
(a) Freedom fighters.
(c) The French.
3. What god does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" think the salesman resembles?
4. How was John Marr wounded?
(a) Fighting in the War of 1812.
(b) Fighting with pirates.
(d) Falling from a ship's rigging.
5. Why is the strange ship low on provisions?
(a) They have taken on additional passengers.
(b) They have been becalmed.
(c) They have been lost.
(d) They have been under supplied.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Hautboy lost in order to succeed?
2. What surprises Captain Delano when he first sees Benito Cereno's ship?
3. What did Jimmy Rose have to offer the rich after he lost his fortune?
4. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" decide never to leave home?
5. How does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" feel about the storm before the salesman arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Melville say is the difference between boarding a strange ship and entering a strange house?
2. What does the chimney in "I and My Chimney" provide for the narrator on the second landing?
3. In "The Lightning Rod Man," why does the narrator pretend to mistake the salesman for the god Jupiter Tonans?
4. Why do the peacocks on the wallpaper in the parlor seem to the narrator to represent Jimmy Rose?
5. Why did the Spanish naval board of inquiry at first reject parts of Benito Cereno's deposition?
6. What does the narrator of "The Piazza" think when he first sees a single bright spot in the northwestern hills?
7. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" believe his chimney is good for invalids?
8. What is Captain Delano's intention in boarding Benito Cereno's ship?
9. What is the figurehead on the San Dominick?
10. How have the Knights Templar changed, according to Melville's observations, in "The Paradise of Bachelors"?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)