|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the maids work to produce?
2. What god does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" think the salesman resembles?
3. To what did Captain Delano attribute Benito Cereno's ineffectiveness as captain?
(a) Cruelty, harshness, and unkindness.
(b) Youth, sickness, and gentility.
(c) Foolhardy disregard for good advice.
(d) Ignorance, pride, and stubbornness.
4. What sentence was chalked below the figurehead?
(a) "Follow your faith."
(b) "Follow orders."
(c) "Never follow."
(d) "Follow your leader."
5. What impresses the narrator about the mill?
(a) The clean air and water.
(b) The cheerfulness of the workers.
(c) The efficiency of the operation.
(d) The gigantic press machine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emblem does John Gentian refuse to wear?
2. On what holiday does John Gentian converse with passers-by?
3. How did Captain Delano evaluate the relationship between Benito Cereno and Babo?
4. What rumor pursues Daniel Orme into his life on shore?
5. What first alarms the narrator about the apple-tree table?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator of "The Fiddler" first admire about Hautboy?
2. Why doesn't the narrator in "The Piazza" grant Marianna's wish and tell her that he is the resident of the house that she believes contains happiness?
3. Why does the owner of the paper factory in "The Tartarus of Maids" tell the narrator that all of his workers are called "girls"?
4. What does the narrator claim shows Jack Gentian's natural gentility?
5. What does the chimney in "I and My Chimney" provide for the narrator on the second landing?
6. What does Jimmy Rose retain after he has lost his fortune?
7. Why do the peacocks on the wallpaper in the parlor seem to the narrator to represent Jimmy Rose?
8. What haunts the narrator at the conclusion of "The Piazza"?
9. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" believe his chimney is good for invalids?
10. What does the landscape painter, B. Hobbema Brown, believe about the Marquis de Grandvin?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)