|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unusual about the strange ship's figurehead?
(a) It is covered in canvas wrapping.
(b) It is a plain, unmarked beak.
(c) It is obviously from Castile.
(d) It is beautifully carved.
2. What caused the bell-ringing automaton to kill Bannadonna?
(a) An unrepaired defect.
(b) A manufacturing error.
(c) A design flaw.
3. What did Jimmy Rose have to offer the rich after he lost his fortune?
4. To what did Captain Delano attribute the ship's being so long becalmed?
(b) Bad luck.
(c) Unusual weather.
(d) Poor seamanship.
5. What first attracts the narrator of "The Piazza" to a building far in the mountains?
(a) A rainbow ends there.
(b) It's exactly ninety degrees ahead of his piazza.
(c) The windows shine like gold.
(d) A river runs through it.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what did Captain Delano attribute Benito Cereno's ineffectiveness as captain?
2. What has Hautboy accomplished in "The Fiddler?"
3. What mythical character does the narrator say would have failed at his task if the chimney had then been in existence?
4. What effect does the Marquis de Grandvin have on those around him?
5. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
Short Essay Questions
1. What haunts the narrator at the conclusion of "The Piazza"?
2. What seems odd about Benito Cereno's ship when Captain Delano first sees it?
3. What is unusual about the bug that emerges from the apple-tree table in the story of that name?
4. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" believe his chimney is good for invalids?
5. What does the narrator claim shows Jack Gentian's natural gentility?
6. What foibles does the narrator claim Jack Gentian possesses?
7. Why does the owner of the paper factory in "The Tartarus of Maids" tell the narrator that all of his workers are called "girls"?
8. In "The Lightning Rod Man," why does the narrator pretend to mistake the salesman for the god Jupiter Tonans?
9. What does Jimmy Rose retain after he has lost his fortune?
10. Why did the Spanish naval board of inquiry at first reject parts of Benito Cereno's deposition?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)