|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What habit of the bachelors in the Temple does the narrator wish to introduce in his own country?
(c) Mulled wine.
2. How does Captain Delano evaluate Babo when he first meets him?
(a) Captain Delano evaluates Babo as woefully ignorant.
(b) Captain Delano evalutes Babo as vaguely threatening.
(c) Captain Delano evaluates Babo as uncomfortably familiar.
(d) Captain Delano evalutes Babo as a devoted companion.
3. What first alarms the narrator about the apple-tree table?
(a) A ticking sound.
(b) A sense of pervading evil.
(c) A steady drip.
(d) A mysterious odor.
4. Why is it hard to see the mill when coming upon it?
(a) The mill is hidden in a cave.
(b) The whole landscape is white.
(c) The mill is painted to camouflage the entrance.
(d) The mill's entrance is disguised by branches.
5. What causes Captain Delano to suspect Benito Cereno is an impostor?
(a) His bad manners.
(b) His confusion.
(c) His weakness in command.
(d) His ignorance of seamanship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" aspire to become?
2. In "The Piazza," how does the narrator's house look to the inhabitants of the mountain cottage?
3. What loss of John Gentian's is noticed most on May thirtieth?
4. How does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" feel about the storm before the salesman arrives?
5. Who is Atufal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator claim shows Jack Gentian's natural gentility?
2. In "The Lightning Rod Man," why does the narrator pretend to mistake the salesman for the god Jupiter Tonans?
3. Why does the owner of the paper factory in "The Tartarus of Maids" tell the narrator that all of his workers are called "girls"?
4. Why does the narrator of "The Lightning Rod Man" compare the salesman to a worm?
5. What is the figurehead on the San Dominick?
6. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" believe his chimney is good for invalids?
7. According to the deposition in "Benito Cereno," what would have happened to Captain Delano if he had suspected a mutiny aboard the San Dominick?
8. What seems odd about Benito Cereno's ship when Captain Delano first sees it?
9. What foibles does the narrator claim Jack Gentian possesses?
10. Why doesn't the narrator in "The Piazza" grant Marianna's wish and tell her that he is the resident of the house that she believes contains happiness?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)