|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the bachelors in the Temple keep time?
(a) By the jokes they told.
(b) By the courses of the meal.
(c) By their reminiscences.
(d) By the wine they drank.
2. Why does the narrator of "The Piazza" feel that the house must have a piazza?
(a) A piazza would increase the home's value.
(b) All the neighbors have piazzas.
(c) Piazzas are in fashion.
(d) The house has a spectacular view.
3. How does the narrator of "The Apple-Tree Table" feel as his wife and daughters become more frightened?
(a) He feels worse.
(b) He feels numb.
(c) He feels more frightened than they.
(d) He feels braver.
4. Why had Jimmy Rose never married?
(a) He was too shy.
(b) He didn't like women.
(c) He ws unattractive.
(d) He loved all women equally.
5. Why does the lightning rod salesman claim that his rods are superior?
(a) They're made of steel.
(b) They're made of iron.
(c) They're made of magnesium.
(d) They're made of copper.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Captain Delano view the attitude of the black people on board?
2. What mythical character does the narrator say would have failed at his task if the chimney had then been in existence?
3. What does the narrator's wife think of his apprehension about the apple-tree table?
4. On what holiday does John Gentian converse with passers-by?
5. Why does John Gentian take "liberties with etiquette"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the owner of the paper factory in "The Tartarus of Maids" tell the narrator that all of his workers are called "girls"?
2. Why is the narrator despondent at the beginning of "The Fiddler"?
3. Why doesn't the narrator in "The Piazza" grant Marianna's wish and tell her that he is the resident of the house that she believes contains happiness?
4. According to the deposition in "Benito Cereno," what would have happened to Captain Delano if he had suspected a mutiny aboard the San Dominick?
5. What does the narrator of "The Piazza" think when he first sees a single bright spot in the northwestern hills?
6. What is Captain Delano's intention in boarding Benito Cereno's ship?
7. How have the Knights Templar changed, according to Melville's observations, in "The Paradise of Bachelors"?
8. What does Jimmy Rose retain after he has lost his fortune?
9. Why did the Spanish naval board of inquiry at first reject parts of Benito Cereno's deposition?
10. What is the figurehead on the San Dominick?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)