|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emblem does John Gentian wear on his left lapel?
(a) An army medal.
(b) Gold eagle wings.
(c) A golden circle.
(d) A Masonic symbol.
2. Why was Bannadonna excused for the homicide he committed?
(a) It was done in self-defense.
(b) It was caused by esthetic passion.
(c) It was accidental.
(d) It was justifiable.
3. What sort of feet did the apple-tree table have?
(a) Brass fittings.
(b) Hooves like Satan.
(c) Marble balls.
(d) Carved mahogany.
4. Why is the strange ship low on provisions?
(a) They have taken on additional passengers.
(b) They have been lost.
(c) They have been becalmed.
(d) They have been under supplied.
5. What causes Captain Delano to suspect Benito Cereno is an impostor?
(a) His ignorance of seamanship.
(b) His bad manners.
(c) His confusion.
(d) His weakness in command.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Piazza," how does the narrator's house look to the inhabitants of the mountain cottage?
2. How does the narrator of "The Piazza" travel to the spot in the mountains that he wants to see?
3. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" aspire to become?
4. What does John Gentian say are caused by stirring deeds?
5. How do the bachelors in the Temple keep time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the owner of the paper factory in "The Tartarus of Maids" tell the narrator that all of his workers are called "girls"?
2. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" believe his chimney is good for invalids?
3. Why doesn't the narrator in "The Piazza" grant Marianna's wish and tell her that he is the resident of the house that she believes contains happiness?
4. What does the narrator claim shows Jack Gentian's natural gentility?
5. What seems odd about Benito Cereno's ship when Captain Delano first sees it?
6. What foibles does the narrator claim Jack Gentian possesses?
7. What is Captain Delano's intention in boarding Benito Cereno's ship?
8. What does Jimmy Rose retain after he has lost his fortune?
9. According to the deposition in "Benito Cereno," what would have happened to Captain Delano if he had suspected a mutiny aboard the San Dominick?
10. What does the bug in the apple-tree table teach the narrator's daughter, Julia?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)