|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what did Captain Delano attribute the ship's being so long becalmed?
(a) Bad luck.
(c) Poor seamanship.
(d) Unusual weather.
2. What is the temperature at the mill?
(c) Oppressively hot.
3. What is unusual about the strange ship's figurehead?
(a) It is beautifully carved.
(b) It is covered in canvas wrapping.
(c) It is obviously from Castile.
(d) It is a plain, unmarked beak.
4. What is the attitude of the bachelors in the Temple toward pain and trouble?
(a) Pain and trouble are nonexistent.
(b) Pain and trouble are everywhere.
(c) Pain and trouble are for other people.
(d) Pain and trouble are unavoidable.
5. What mythical character does the narrator say would have failed at his task if the chimney had then been in existence?
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Hautboy lost in order to succeed?
2. What emblem does John Gentian wear on his left lapel?
3. Why does the narrator of "Jimmy Rose" refuse to change the wallpaper in his parlor?
4. What first attracts the narrator of "The Piazza" to a building far in the mountains?
5. How does Melville describe Captain Delano's personality?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator claim shows Jack Gentian's natural gentility?
2. What does the landscape painter, B. Hobbema Brown, believe about the Marquis de Grandvin?
3. What is Captain Delano's intention in boarding Benito Cereno's ship?
4. Why did the Spanish naval board of inquiry at first reject parts of Benito Cereno's deposition?
5. What does Melville say is the difference between boarding a strange ship and entering a strange house?
6. In "The Lightning Rod Man," why does the narrator pretend to mistake the salesman for the god Jupiter Tonans?
7. What does the chimney in "I and My Chimney" provide for the narrator on the second landing?
8. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" believe his chimney is good for invalids?
9. What is the figurehead on the San Dominick?
10. According to the deposition in "Benito Cereno," what would have happened to Captain Delano if he had suspected a mutiny aboard the San Dominick?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)