|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" identify with his chimney?
(a) They are both obese old smokers.
(b) They are both tall and handsome.
(c) They are both an annoyance to the household.
(d) They are both. the center of attention.
2. What loss of John Gentian's is noticed most on May thirtieth?
(a) His missing ear.
(b) His blinded eye.
(c) His empty sleeve.
(d) His limp.
3. What emblem does John Gentian refuse to wear?
(a) Any emblem of wealth.
(b) Any American flag.
(c) Any Revolutionary War emblem.
(d) Any Civil War emblem.
4. On what holiday does John Gentian converse with passers-by?
(d) The Fourth of July.
5. How does the narrator of "The Apple-Tree Table" feel as his wife and daughters become more frightened?
(a) He feels numb.
(b) He feels worse.
(c) He feels braver.
(d) He feels more frightened than they.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the strange ship low on provisions?
2. What sort of feet did the apple-tree table have?
3. In "The Piazza," how does the narrator's house look to the inhabitants of the mountain cottage?
4. Who is Atufal?
5. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the landscape painter, B. Hobbema Brown, believe about the Marquis de Grandvin?
2. According to the deposition in "Benito Cereno," what would have happened to Captain Delano if he had suspected a mutiny aboard the San Dominick?
3. Why do the peacocks on the wallpaper in the parlor seem to the narrator to represent Jimmy Rose?
4. What haunts the narrator at the conclusion of "The Piazza"?
5. Why doesn't the narrator in "The Piazza" grant Marianna's wish and tell her that he is the resident of the house that she believes contains happiness?
6. Why does the narrator of "The Lightning Rod Man" compare the salesman to a worm?
7. Why does the owner of the paper factory in "The Tartarus of Maids" tell the narrator that all of his workers are called "girls"?
8. What seems odd about Benito Cereno's ship when Captain Delano first sees it?
9. What foibles does the narrator claim Jack Gentian possesses?
10. What does the narrator claim shows Jack Gentian's natural gentility?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)