|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jimmy Rose have to offer the rich after he lost his fortune?
2. What does the narrator in "The Paradise of Bachelors" say has become of the Knights Templar?
(a) They've become schoolteachers.
(b) They've become lawyers.
(c) They've become doctors.
(d) They've become warriors.
3. What is unusual about the strange ship's figurehead?
(a) It is obviously from Castile.
(b) It is beautifully carved.
(c) It is a plain, unmarked beak.
(d) It is covered in canvas wrapping.
4. Why does John Gentian take "liberties with etiquette"?
(a) He is straightforward and impulsive.
(b) He is rude and thoughtless.
(c) He is unlearned.
(d) He is concerned with larger issues.
5. How does Captain Delano view the attitude of the black people on board?
(a) The black people seem to Captain Delano to be cheerful and content.
(b) The black people seem to Captain Delano to be cringing and fearful.
(c) The black people seem to Captain Delano to be insubordinate.
(d) The black people seem to Captain Delano to be competent and well-trained.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the bell-ringing automaton to kill Bannadonna?
2. What first alarms the narrator about the apple-tree table?
3. What does John Gentian say are caused by stirring deeds?
4. Whose cause does the Marquis de Grandvin champion?
5. Where do "'Gees" come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the narrator despondent at the beginning of "The Fiddler"?
2. In "The Lightning Rod Man," why does the narrator pretend to mistake the salesman for the god Jupiter Tonans?
3. Why does the owner of the paper factory in "The Tartarus of Maids" tell the narrator that all of his workers are called "girls"?
4. What is the figurehead on the San Dominick?
5. What does Jimmy Rose retain after he has lost his fortune?
6. What seems odd about Benito Cereno's ship when Captain Delano first sees it?
7. What foibles does the narrator claim Jack Gentian possesses?
8. What is Captain Delano's intention in boarding Benito Cereno's ship?
9. What does the chimney in "I and My Chimney" provide for the narrator on the second landing?
10. What haunts the narrator at the conclusion of "The Piazza"?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)