|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sentence was chalked below the figurehead?
(a) "Never follow."
(b) "Follow your faith."
(c) "Follow orders."
(d) "Follow your leader."
2. What emblem does John Gentian refuse to wear?
(a) Any emblem of wealth.
(b) Any Revolutionary War emblem.
(c) Any Civil War emblem.
(d) Any American flag.
3. Where do "'Gees" come from?
4. Why is the strange ship low on provisions?
(a) They have been becalmed.
(b) They have been lost.
(c) They have taken on additional passengers.
(d) They have been under supplied.
5. Who wrote the book lying on the apple-tree table?
(b) Cotton Mather.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does John Gentian take "liberties with etiquette"?
2. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" decide never to leave home?
3. What does the narrator's wife think of his apprehension about the apple-tree table?
4. Who is Atufal?
5. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" aspire to become?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have the Knights Templar changed, according to Melville's observations, in "The Paradise of Bachelors"?
2. What haunts the narrator at the conclusion of "The Piazza"?
3. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" believe his chimney is good for invalids?
4. What does Jimmy Rose retain after he has lost his fortune?
5. In "The Lightning Rod Man," why does the narrator pretend to mistake the salesman for the god Jupiter Tonans?
6. What does Melville say is the difference between boarding a strange ship and entering a strange house?
7. Why is the narrator despondent at the beginning of "The Fiddler"?
8. According to the deposition in "Benito Cereno," what would have happened to Captain Delano if he had suspected a mutiny aboard the San Dominick?
9. What does the narrator of "The Piazza" think when he first sees a single bright spot in the northwestern hills?
10. What foibles does the narrator claim Jack Gentian possesses?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)