|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sort of feet did the apple-tree table have?
(a) Hooves like Satan.
(b) Brass fittings.
(c) Marble balls.
(d) Carved mahogany.
2. Why is it hard to see the mill when coming upon it?
(a) The mill is painted to camouflage the entrance.
(b) The mill's entrance is disguised by branches.
(c) The whole landscape is white.
(d) The mill is hidden in a cave.
3. What do the maids work to produce?
4. How does Captain Delano evaluate Babo when he first meets him?
(a) Captain Delano evalutes Babo as vaguely threatening.
(b) Captain Delano evalutes Babo as a devoted companion.
(c) Captain Delano evaluates Babo as uncomfortably familiar.
(d) Captain Delano evaluates Babo as woefully ignorant.
5. Why had Jimmy Rose often been chosen to present awards?
(a) He was a generous donor.
(b) He was famous.
(c) He was handsome.
(d) He spoke well.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the temperature at the mill?
2. On what holiday does John Gentian converse with passers-by?
3. Why does the narrator of "The Piazza" believe the soil is richer around the cottage that he finds?
4. Why is Captain Delano glad he was not astute enough to recognize the mutiny?
5. What first alarms the narrator about the apple-tree table?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Captain Delano's intention in boarding Benito Cereno's ship?
2. What does the bug in the apple-tree table teach the narrator's daughter, Julia?
3. Why do the peacocks on the wallpaper in the parlor seem to the narrator to represent Jimmy Rose?
4. Why doesn't the narrator in "The Piazza" grant Marianna's wish and tell her that he is the resident of the house that she believes contains happiness?
5. What does the chimney in "I and My Chimney" provide for the narrator on the second landing?
6. What haunts the narrator at the conclusion of "The Piazza"?
7. What does the narrator claim shows Jack Gentian's natural gentility?
8. Why did the Spanish naval board of inquiry at first reject parts of Benito Cereno's deposition?
9. What does the landscape painter, B. Hobbema Brown, believe about the Marquis de Grandvin?
10. What seems odd about Benito Cereno's ship when Captain Delano first sees it?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)