|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who finally persuaded the narrator of "I and My Chimney" to knock a few feet off the chimney?
(a) His neighbor.
(b) His daughters.
(c) His wife.
(d) His mortgage holder
2. Why is Captain Delano glad he was not astute enough to recognize the mutiny?
(a) He would have sacrificed his own crew.
(b) He would have lost faith in mankind.
(c) He would have been killed without helping Benito Cereno.
(d) He would not have known what to do.
3. What emblem does John Gentian refuse to wear?
(a) Any American flag.
(b) Any Civil War emblem.
(c) Any emblem of wealth.
(d) Any Revolutionary War emblem.
4. How did Captain Delano evaluate the relationship between Benito Cereno and Babo?
(a) A frightening scene of dependency.
(b) A shocking breach of convention.
(c) An enviable spectacle of fidelity.
(d) A distressing lack of respect.
5. What god does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" think the salesman resembles?
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the loss of Jimmy Rose's fortune?
2. How does Melville describe Captain Delano's personality?
3. To what did Captain Delano attribute Benito Cereno's ineffectiveness as captain?
4. Why does the narrator of "The Piazza" feel that the house must have a piazza?
5. Where do "'Gees" come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" believe his chimney is good for invalids?
2. Why doesn't the narrator in "The Piazza" grant Marianna's wish and tell her that he is the resident of the house that she believes contains happiness?
3. What does Melville say is the difference between boarding a strange ship and entering a strange house?
4. Why is the narrator despondent at the beginning of "The Fiddler"?
5. Why does the narrator of "The Lightning Rod Man" compare the salesman to a worm?
6. What does Jimmy Rose retain after he has lost his fortune?
7. What haunts the narrator at the conclusion of "The Piazza"?
8. Why do the peacocks on the wallpaper in the parlor seem to the narrator to represent Jimmy Rose?
9. What is the figurehead on the San Dominick?
10. What does the narrator of "The Fiddler" first admire about Hautboy?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)