|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Captain Delano view the attitude of the black people on board?
(a) The black people seem to Captain Delano to be cringing and fearful.
(b) The black people seem to Captain Delano to be insubordinate.
(c) The black people seem to Captain Delano to be competent and well-trained.
(d) The black people seem to Captain Delano to be cheerful and content.
2. Who finally persuaded the narrator of "I and My Chimney" to knock a few feet off the chimney?
(a) His mortgage holder
(b) His daughters.
(c) His neighbor.
(d) His wife.
3. What has Hautboy accomplished in "The Fiddler?"
(a) Hautboy has become famous.
(b) Hautboy has developed great technical proficiency.
(c) Hautboy has learned to be happy.
(d) Hautboy has become rich.
4. Where do "'Gees" come from?
5. How does Melville describe Captain Delano's personality?
(a) Mistrustful and suspicious.
(b) Pessimistic and unhappy.
(c) Autocratic and dictatorial.
(d) Trusting and benevolent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "The Piazza" believe the soil is richer around the cottage that he finds?
2. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
3. To what did Captain Delano attribute Benito Cereno's ineffectiveness as captain?
4. How does the lightning rod salesman feel about thunderstorms?
5. What do the maids work to produce?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the bug in the apple-tree table teach the narrator's daughter, Julia?
2. Why doesn't the narrator in "The Piazza" grant Marianna's wish and tell her that he is the resident of the house that she believes contains happiness?
3. Why is the narrator despondent at the beginning of "The Fiddler"?
4. What seems odd about Benito Cereno's ship when Captain Delano first sees it?
5. According to the deposition in "Benito Cereno," what would have happened to Captain Delano if he had suspected a mutiny aboard the San Dominick?
6. Why did the Spanish naval board of inquiry at first reject parts of Benito Cereno's deposition?
7. What is the figurehead on the San Dominick?
8. Why does the owner of the paper factory in "The Tartarus of Maids" tell the narrator that all of his workers are called "girls"?
9. What does the narrator of "The Piazza" think when he first sees a single bright spot in the northwestern hills?
10. What does the chimney in "I and My Chimney" provide for the narrator on the second landing?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)