|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who finally persuaded the narrator of "I and My Chimney" to knock a few feet off the chimney?
(a) His mortgage holder
(b) His neighbor.
(c) His daughters.
(d) His wife.
2. What impresses the narrator about the mill?
(a) The cheerfulness of the workers.
(b) The efficiency of the operation.
(c) The gigantic press machine.
(d) The clean air and water.
3. In "I and My Chimney," what is the narrator's wife's maxim?
(b) Whatever is, is wrong and must be altered.
(c) Whatever is not, is not.
(d) Whatever is, is right.
4. Whose cause does the Marquis de Grandvin champion?
(b) The French.
(c) Freedom fighters.
5. What had Hautboy lost in order to succeed?
Short Answer Questions
1. What mythical character does the narrator say would have failed at his task if the chimney had then been in existence?
2. What overcomes Captain Delano's criticism of Benito Cereno?
3. Why does the narrator of "Jimmy Rose" refuse to change the wallpaper in his parlor?
4. How does Captain Delano evaluate Benito Cereno's condition when he first meets him?
5. What does Benito Cereno say has happened to his partner, Alexandro Aranda?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the peacocks on the wallpaper in the parlor seem to the narrator to represent Jimmy Rose?
2. What foibles does the narrator claim Jack Gentian possesses?
3. What does the narrator claim shows Jack Gentian's natural gentility?
4. What does the landscape painter, B. Hobbema Brown, believe about the Marquis de Grandvin?
5. What seems odd about Benito Cereno's ship when Captain Delano first sees it?
6. What does the narrator of "The Fiddler" first admire about Hautboy?
7. What does the chimney in "I and My Chimney" provide for the narrator on the second landing?
8. What does the narrator of "The Piazza" think when he first sees a single bright spot in the northwestern hills?
9. Why does the narrator of "The Lightning Rod Man" compare the salesman to a worm?
10. How have the Knights Templar changed, according to Melville's observations, in "The Paradise of Bachelors"?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)