|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote the book lying on the apple-tree table?
(a) Cotton Mather.
2. Why had Jimmy Rose never married?
(a) He ws unattractive.
(b) He loved all women equally.
(c) He was too shy.
(d) He didn't like women.
3. What does John Gentian say are caused by stirring deeds?
(a) Stirring thoughts.
(b) Stirring novels.
(c) Stirring songs.
(d) Stirring rhymes.
4. What surprises Captain Delano when he first sees Benito Cereno's ship?
(a) The ship is giving a distress signal.
(b) The ship doesn't fly the flag of any nation.
(c) The ship is in ill repair.
(d) The ship is bound for an uninhabited island.
5. In "The Piazza," how does the narrator's house look to the inhabitants of the mountain cottage?
(a) Like a prison.
(b) Like a happy place.
(c) Like a palace.
(d) Like a mansion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
2. What does the narrator in "The Paradise of Bachelors" say has become of the Knights Templar?
3. How does Captain Delano view the attitude of the black people on board?
4. What emblem does John Gentian refuse to wear?
5. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" do with his manuscripts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" believe his chimney is good for invalids?
2. Why is the narrator despondent at the beginning of "The Fiddler"?
3. Why do the peacocks on the wallpaper in the parlor seem to the narrator to represent Jimmy Rose?
4. Why doesn't the narrator in "The Piazza" grant Marianna's wish and tell her that he is the resident of the house that she believes contains happiness?
5. What does Jimmy Rose retain after he has lost his fortune?
6. What is Captain Delano's intention in boarding Benito Cereno's ship?
7. What does the narrator of "The Fiddler" first admire about Hautboy?
8. In "The Lightning Rod Man," why does the narrator pretend to mistake the salesman for the god Jupiter Tonans?
9. What foibles does the narrator claim Jack Gentian possesses?
10. According to the deposition in "Benito Cereno," what would have happened to Captain Delano if he had suspected a mutiny aboard the San Dominick?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)