|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emblem does John Gentian refuse to wear?
(a) Any emblem of wealth.
(b) Any Revolutionary War emblem.
(c) Any Civil War emblem.
(d) Any American flag.
2. How does the narrator of "The Apple-Tree Table" feel as his wife and daughters become more frightened?
(a) He feels braver.
(b) He feels numb.
(c) He feels more frightened than they.
(d) He feels worse.
3. What caused the loss of Jimmy Rose's fortune?
(a) The stock market crash.
(b) Duplicitous dealings.
(d) His overly generous dealings.
4. In "I and My Chimney," what is the narrator's wife's maxim?
(a) Whatever is, is wrong and must be altered.
(c) Whatever is, is right.
(d) Whatever is not, is not.
5. Why does the narrator of "The Piazza" feel that the house must have a piazza?
(a) Piazzas are in fashion.
(b) All the neighbors have piazzas.
(c) The house has a spectacular view.
(d) A piazza would increase the home's value.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the temperature at the mill?
2. Why does John Gentian take "liberties with etiquette"?
3. To what did Captain Delano attribute the ship's being so long becalmed?
4. What overcomes Captain Delano's criticism of Benito Cereno?
5. What is the attitude of the bachelors in the Temple toward pain and trouble?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Lightning Rod Man," why does the narrator pretend to mistake the salesman for the god Jupiter Tonans?
2. Why does the owner of the paper factory in "The Tartarus of Maids" tell the narrator that all of his workers are called "girls"?
3. What does the narrator of "The Fiddler" first admire about Hautboy?
4. Why doesn't the narrator in "The Piazza" grant Marianna's wish and tell her that he is the resident of the house that she believes contains happiness?
5. According to the deposition in "Benito Cereno," what would have happened to Captain Delano if he had suspected a mutiny aboard the San Dominick?
6. What does the narrator claim shows Jack Gentian's natural gentility?
7. What foibles does the narrator claim Jack Gentian possesses?
8. Why does the narrator of "The Lightning Rod Man" compare the salesman to a worm?
9. What does the bug in the apple-tree table teach the narrator's daughter, Julia?
10. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" believe his chimney is good for invalids?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)