|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused the loss of Jimmy Rose's fortune?
(a) The stock market crash.
(c) Duplicitous dealings.
(d) His overly generous dealings.
2. What loss of John Gentian's is noticed most on May thirtieth?
(a) His missing ear.
(b) His blinded eye.
(c) His empty sleeve.
(d) His limp.
3. Why does the narrator of "The Piazza" feel that the house must have a piazza?
(a) A piazza would increase the home's value.
(b) The house has a spectacular view.
(c) Piazzas are in fashion.
(d) All the neighbors have piazzas.
4. Why does John Gentian take "liberties with etiquette"?
(a) He is rude and thoughtless.
(b) He is unlearned.
(c) He is concerned with larger issues.
(d) He is straightforward and impulsive.
5. What was the disadvantage of building the piazza on the north side of the house?
(a) The north side is coldest.
(b) The north side faces the village.
(c) The north side faces the neighbors.
(d) The north side has the narrowest view.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sentence was chalked below the figurehead?
2. How does Melville describe Captain Delano's personality?
3. What does the narrator in "The Paradise of Bachelors" say has become of the Knights Templar?
4. What impresses the narrator about the mill?
5. What does John Gentian say are caused by stirring deeds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator of "The Piazza" think when he first sees a single bright spot in the northwestern hills?
2. According to the deposition in "Benito Cereno," what would have happened to Captain Delano if he had suspected a mutiny aboard the San Dominick?
3. What foibles does the narrator claim Jack Gentian possesses?
4. What does the landscape painter, B. Hobbema Brown, believe about the Marquis de Grandvin?
5. Why does the owner of the paper factory in "The Tartarus of Maids" tell the narrator that all of his workers are called "girls"?
6. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" believe his chimney is good for invalids?
7. What does the bug in the apple-tree table teach the narrator's daughter, Julia?
8. Why did the Spanish naval board of inquiry at first reject parts of Benito Cereno's deposition?
9. What does the narrator claim shows Jack Gentian's natural gentility?
10. What does the narrator of "The Fiddler" first admire about Hautboy?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)