|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" decide never to leave home?
(a) He is busy rebuilding the house.
(b) He is standing guard over the chimney.
(c) His wife won't permit it.
(d) He is "sour and unsocial."
2. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
(a) The table is unusually beautiful.
(b) The table is Satanic-looking.
(c) The table is inscribed with signs and symbols.
(d) The table is old.
3. What surprises Captain Delano when he first sees Benito Cereno's ship?
(a) The ship doesn't fly the flag of any nation.
(b) The ship is in ill repair.
(c) The ship is giving a distress signal.
(d) The ship is bound for an uninhabited island.
4. Why had Jimmy Rose never married?
(a) He was too shy.
(b) He didn't like women.
(c) He loved all women equally.
(d) He ws unattractive.
5. How does the narrator of "The Apple-Tree Table" feel as his wife and daughters become more frightened?
(a) He feels more frightened than they.
(b) He feels numb.
(c) He feels braver.
(d) He feels worse.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator of "The Piazza" travel to the spot in the mountains that he wants to see?
2. To what did Captain Delano attribute the ship's being so long becalmed?
3. What does Benito Cereno say has happened to his partner, Alexandro Aranda?
4. In "The Piazza," how does the narrator's house look to the inhabitants of the mountain cottage?
5. Why is the strange ship low on provisions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator of "The Fiddler" first admire about Hautboy?
2. What does the landscape painter, B. Hobbema Brown, believe about the Marquis de Grandvin?
3. What does Jimmy Rose retain after he has lost his fortune?
4. Why doesn't the narrator in "The Piazza" grant Marianna's wish and tell her that he is the resident of the house that she believes contains happiness?
5. Why did the Spanish naval board of inquiry at first reject parts of Benito Cereno's deposition?
6. What foibles does the narrator claim Jack Gentian possesses?
7. What does Melville say is the difference between boarding a strange ship and entering a strange house?
8. What does the bug in the apple-tree table teach the narrator's daughter, Julia?
9. Why is the narrator despondent at the beginning of "The Fiddler"?
10. What does the narrator claim shows Jack Gentian's natural gentility?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)