|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What habit of the bachelors in the Temple does the narrator wish to introduce in his own country?
(d) Mulled wine.
2. What impresses the narrator about the mill?
(a) The cheerfulness of the workers.
(b) The gigantic press machine.
(c) The clean air and water.
(d) The efficiency of the operation.
3. What does Melville hope to do for the Marquis de Grandvin?
(a) Make him rich.
(b) Make him happy.
(c) Make him famous.
(d) Make him immortal.
4. What loss of John Gentian's is noticed most on May thirtieth?
(a) His missing ear.
(b) His limp.
(c) His empty sleeve.
(d) His blinded eye.
5. How does Captain Delano evaluate Benito Cereno's condition when he first meets him?
(a) Captain Delano evalutes Benito Cereno as cruel.
(b) Captain Delano evalutes Benito Cereno as dictatorial.
(c) Captain Delano perceives Benito Cereno to be physically and mentally disabled.
(d) Captain Delano evaluates Benito Cereno as weak and ineffectual.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of feet did the apple-tree table have?
2. How does Melville describe Captain Delano's personality?
3. Why does the narrator of "The Piazza" believe the soil is richer around the cottage that he finds?
4. What is the temperature at the mill?
5. What do the maids work to produce?
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems odd about Benito Cereno's ship when Captain Delano first sees it?
2. What does the chimney in "I and My Chimney" provide for the narrator on the second landing?
3. What does the narrator of "The Fiddler" first admire about Hautboy?
4. What foibles does the narrator claim Jack Gentian possesses?
5. Why does the narrator of "The Lightning Rod Man" compare the salesman to a worm?
6. What is unusual about the bug that emerges from the apple-tree table in the story of that name?
7. What does the bug in the apple-tree table teach the narrator's daughter, Julia?
8. Why doesn't the narrator in "The Piazza" grant Marianna's wish and tell her that he is the resident of the house that she believes contains happiness?
9. How have the Knights Templar changed, according to Melville's observations, in "The Paradise of Bachelors"?
10. What haunts the narrator at the conclusion of "The Piazza"?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)