|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Bannadonna excused for the homicide he committed?
(a) It was accidental.
(b) It was justifiable.
(c) It was done in self-defense.
(d) It was caused by esthetic passion.
2. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
(a) The table is inscribed with signs and symbols.
(b) The table is unusually beautiful.
(c) The table is Satanic-looking.
(d) The table is old.
3. How does Captain Delano evaluate Benito Cereno's condition when he first meets him?
(a) Captain Delano evaluates Benito Cereno as weak and ineffectual.
(b) Captain Delano evalutes Benito Cereno as cruel.
(c) Captain Delano perceives Benito Cereno to be physically and mentally disabled.
(d) Captain Delano evalutes Benito Cereno as dictatorial.
4. Why does John Gentian take "liberties with etiquette"?
(a) He is unlearned.
(b) He is straightforward and impulsive.
(c) He is concerned with larger issues.
(d) He is rude and thoughtless.
5. What does Benito Cereno say has happened to his partner, Alexandro Aranda?
(a) He died of fever.
(b) He fell overboard.
(c) He was murdered.
(d) He left the ship at the last port.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Captain Delano to suspect Benito Cereno is an impostor?
2. Who is Atufal?
3. What does the narrator decide to give the apple-tree table when he first discovers it?
4. In "I and My Chimney," what is the narrator's wife's maxim?
5. How did Captain Delano evaluate the relationship between Benito Cereno and Babo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about the bug that emerges from the apple-tree table in the story of that name?
2. How have the Knights Templar changed, according to Melville's observations, in "The Paradise of Bachelors"?
3. What does Melville say is the difference between boarding a strange ship and entering a strange house?
4. Why is the narrator despondent at the beginning of "The Fiddler"?
5. Why does the owner of the paper factory in "The Tartarus of Maids" tell the narrator that all of his workers are called "girls"?
6. What does the narrator of "The Fiddler" first admire about Hautboy?
7. What is Captain Delano's intention in boarding Benito Cereno's ship?
8. What is the figurehead on the San Dominick?
9. What does the bug in the apple-tree table teach the narrator's daughter, Julia?
10. Why does the narrator of "The Lightning Rod Man" compare the salesman to a worm?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)