|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Captain Delano when he first sees Benito Cereno's ship?
(a) The ship is giving a distress signal.
(b) The ship is in ill repair.
(c) The ship doesn't fly the flag of any nation.
(d) The ship is bound for an uninhabited island.
2. How does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" feel about the storm before the salesman arrives?
(a) He thinks the storm is "radiant" and "beautiful."
(b) He thinks the storm is "grand" and "glorious."
(c) He thinks the storm "thought-provoking."
(d) He thinks the storm is "terrifying."
3. What is the temperature at the mill?
(d) Oppressively hot.
4. What impresses the narrator about the mill?
(a) The cheerfulness of the workers.
(b) The efficiency of the operation.
(c) The gigantic press machine.
(d) The clean air and water.
5. What does John Gentian say are caused by stirring deeds?
(a) Stirring thoughts.
(b) Stirring rhymes.
(c) Stirring songs.
(d) Stirring novels.
Short Answer Questions
1. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
2. What is unusual about the strange ship's figurehead?
3. What god does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" think the salesman resembles?
4. What had Hautboy lost in order to succeed?
5. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" do with his manuscripts?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the deposition in "Benito Cereno," what would have happened to Captain Delano if he had suspected a mutiny aboard the San Dominick?
2. Why do the peacocks on the wallpaper in the parlor seem to the narrator to represent Jimmy Rose?
3. What haunts the narrator at the conclusion of "The Piazza"?
4. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" believe his chimney is good for invalids?
5. What does the narrator of "The Piazza" think when he first sees a single bright spot in the northwestern hills?
6. Why did the Spanish naval board of inquiry at first reject parts of Benito Cereno's deposition?
7. What does the narrator of "The Fiddler" first admire about Hautboy?
8. What does Melville say is the difference between boarding a strange ship and entering a strange house?
9. In "The Lightning Rod Man," why does the narrator pretend to mistake the salesman for the god Jupiter Tonans?
10. How have the Knights Templar changed, according to Melville's observations, in "The Paradise of Bachelors"?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)