|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator's wife think of his apprehension about the apple-tree table?
(a) She thinks he is trying to frighten her.
(b) She thinks he is drunk.
(c) She thinks he is making it up.
(d) She thinks he is crazy.
2. Who finally persuaded the narrator of "I and My Chimney" to knock a few feet off the chimney?
(a) His mortgage holder
(b) His daughters.
(c) His wife.
(d) His neighbor.
3. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" identify with his chimney?
(a) They are both tall and handsome.
(b) They are both. the center of attention.
(c) They are both obese old smokers.
(d) They are both an annoyance to the household.
4. What was the disadvantage of building the piazza on the north side of the house?
(a) The north side faces the village.
(b) The north side has the narrowest view.
(c) The north side is coldest.
(d) The north side faces the neighbors.
5. What caused the bell-ringing automaton to kill Bannadonna?
(a) A manufacturing error.
(b) A design flaw.
(d) An unrepaired defect.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Hautboy lost in order to succeed?
2. Why does the narrator of "The Piazza" feel that the house must have a piazza?
3. What mythical character does the narrator say would have failed at his task if the chimney had then been in existence?
4. How does the narrator of "The Piazza" travel to the spot in the mountains that he wants to see?
5. What causes Captain Delano to suspect Benito Cereno is an impostor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the narrator despondent at the beginning of "The Fiddler"?
2. What does Melville say is the difference between boarding a strange ship and entering a strange house?
3. What does the narrator claim shows Jack Gentian's natural gentility?
4. How have the Knights Templar changed, according to Melville's observations, in "The Paradise of Bachelors"?
5. What foibles does the narrator claim Jack Gentian possesses?
6. According to the deposition in "Benito Cereno," what would have happened to Captain Delano if he had suspected a mutiny aboard the San Dominick?
7. What is Captain Delano's intention in boarding Benito Cereno's ship?
8. In "The Lightning Rod Man," why does the narrator pretend to mistake the salesman for the god Jupiter Tonans?
9. What seems odd about Benito Cereno's ship when Captain Delano first sees it?
10. What does the chimney in "I and My Chimney" provide for the narrator on the second landing?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)