|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are Pedro and Sebastian in The Town-Ho's Story?
(a) Friends of the narrator.
(b) Sailors on the Town-Ho.
(c) Sailors on the Pequod.
2. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
(a) Go for coffee.
(b) Compare a copy with its original.
(c) Copy a comparison of an original.
(d) Originate a copy.
3. How does Merrymusk convince the narrator that he is a rich man?
(a) He has a barn full of hay.
(b) He has a large tract of land.
(c) He has a rooster worth five hundred dollars.
(d) He has a large family.
4. How does the narrator accommodate the weakness of his oldest scrivener?
(a) By hiring an assistant for him.
(b) By giving him unimportant papers in the afternoon.
(c) By allowing him to work only half a day.
(d) By giving him unimportant papers in the morning.
5. What does Bartleby's demeanor show about his eccentricities?
(a) They are important.
(b) They are voluntary.
(c) They are involuntary.
(d) They are unimportant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" invented?
2. Whose job is it to normally sweep the deck of a ship?
3. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
4. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
5. What famous person expressed a good opinion of the narrator of Bartleby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the two remaining followers of Steelkilt each hope to be the first out of the hold?
2. What does the narrator say happens to one in command who discovers a subordinate who is "significantly his superior"?
3. What does the captain decide to do with Steelkilt and those who followed him in insubordination?
4. Why does the narrator say that pity turns into repulsion?
5. Why does Melville call Redondo the "aviary of the ocean"?
6. What verb tenses does Melville use in "The Two Temples" to bring immediacy to the story?
7. What skills are necessary for a scrivener?
8. What was disrespectful about Radney asking Steelkilt to sweep the deck?
9. What stylistic devices does Melville use to give the reader the feeling of the rooster's crow in "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo"?
10. How is the accuracy of copy verified by scriveners?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)