|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Merrymusk convince the narrator that he is a rich man?
(a) He has a large tract of land.
(b) He has a barn full of hay.
(c) He has a rooster worth five hundred dollars.
(d) He has a large family.
2. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
(a) The walrus.
(b) The bat.
(c) The penguin.
(d) The cormorant.
3. What do Steelkilt's three remaining conspirators decide to do to save themselves?
(a) Kill Steelkilt.
(b) Bind Steelkilt and give him to the captain.
(c) Support Steelkilt's mutiny.
(d) Sneak back to their posts.
4. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
(a) He throws him out.
(b) He offers to double his payment.
(c) He apologizes.
(d) He pays him promptly.
5. What does Melville believe the charities of London do for the poor?
(a) The charities of London embolden the poor.
(b) The charities of London strengthen the poor.
(c) The charities of London soften the poor.
(d) The charities of London madden the poor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the message of the church meeting the narrator observed?
2. What object does the lookout spot that takes Melville's ship to Norfolk Isle?
3. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view locomotives and steamships?
4. Why doesn't the narrator dismiss Bartleby for insubordination?
5. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the creditor in "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo" torment the narrator?
2. What foibles does the narrator claim Jack Gentian possesses?
3. Why does the narrator of "The Lightning Rod Man" compare the salesman to a worm?
4. In "The Happy Failure," what is the uncle's great invention?
5. Why doesn't the narrator in "The Piazza" grant Marianna's wish and tell her that he is the resident of the house that she believes contains happiness?
6. Why does the owner of the paper factory in "The Tartarus of Maids" tell the narrator that all of his workers are called "girls"?
7. In "Rich Man's Crumbs," why is the narrator called a "graceless ragamuffin"?
8. What stylistic devices does Melville use to give the reader the feeling of the rooster's crow in "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo"?
9. What does the narrator claim shows Jack Gentian's natural gentility?
10. What verb tenses does Melville use in "The Two Temples" to bring immediacy to the story?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)