|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Steelkilt's three remaining conspirators decide to do to save themselves?
(a) Kill Steelkilt.
(b) Bind Steelkilt and give him to the captain.
(c) Support Steelkilt's mutiny.
(d) Sneak back to their posts.
2. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
(a) He pays him promptly.
(b) He offers to double his payment.
(c) He apologizes.
(d) He throws him out.
3. Of what does the onstage action in the London theater remind the narrator?
(a) His own childhood.
(b) The church service he had watched from the bell tower.
(c) The curmudgeonly landlady at his boarding house.
(d) The theater at home on Broadway.
4. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
(a) They think Bartleby should be forgiven.
(b) They think Bartleby should be promoted.
(c) They think Bartleby should be excused.
(d) They think Bartleby should be fired.
5. To what sight in the city does Melville compare the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) A pile of leaves.
(b) A pile of rocks.
(c) A pile of trash.
(d) A pile of cinders.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
2. What does Melville say is the most populous species on the island of Albermarle?
3. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
4. How does Steelkilt respond to Radney's request that he sweep the deck?
5. Why does the Town-Ho's captain have to put the ship into port?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator say that pity turns into repulsion?
2. What do the sailors in "The Encantadas" do with tortoises?
3. What stylistic devices does Melville use to give the reader the feeling of the rooster's crow in "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo"?
4. What is Nippers's shortcoming as a scrivener?
5. What does Steelkilt demand to prevent a mutiny?
6. Why does Melville call Redondo the "aviary of the ocean"?
7. What did Steelkilt's followers decide to do upon their release?
8. What was disrespectful about Radney asking Steelkilt to sweep the deck?
9. Why is the direct route for an ocean voyage not always the fastest or best, according to Melville in "The Encantadas"?
10. Why does the narrator continue to accept Bartleby's refusals?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)