|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unusual about the pork at the Coulters' dinner table?
(a) It is not really pork.
(b) It is only fat and gristle.
(c) It is only hides.
(d) It is last year's.
2. What does the crew decide not to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
(a) Obey the captain.
(b) Desert together.
(c) Call out when whales were sighted.
(d) Start a mutiny.
3. What did the American ship, the Essex, see in the Encantadas?
(a) An enchanted ship.
(b) A ghost ship.
(c) A pirate ship.
(d) An English ship.
4. What human assumption does Melville say is the most preposterous?
(a) Understanding of the rich by the poor.
(b) Criticism of the poor by the rich.
(c) Understanding of the poor by the rich.
(d) Criticism of the rich by the poor.
5. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
(a) Questions his own mind.
(b) Digs in his heels.
(c) Doubts the other person.
(d) Acquiesces out of courtesy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
2. What makes Moby Dick an unusual whale?
3. What action does Steelkilt determine to take after being locked in the hold?
4. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
5. Where does the narrator in The Town-Ho's story tell his tale?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the sailors in "The Encantadas" do with tortoises?
2. Why did the first seven of Steelkilt's men come out of their imprisonment?
3. Why does the narrator continue to accept Bartleby's refusals?
4. What does the author of "Poor Man's Pudding" and "Rich Man's Crumbs" pray that Heaven will save him from?
5. What skills are necessary for a scrivener?
6. What verb tenses does Melville use in "The Two Temples" to bring immediacy to the story?
7. Why does Melville believe that American poor suffer more than European poor?
8. What words does the narrator use to describe Bartleby when he first meets him?
9. What superstition do sailors have about the tortoises in "The Encantadas"?
10. What does the narrator say happens to one in command who discovers a subordinate who is "significantly his superior"?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)