|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the captain decide not to flog Steelkilt?
(a) Steelkilt makes an inaudible threat.
(b) He suddenly feels sorry for Steelkilt.
(c) He suddenly feels ashamed of his own behavior.
(d) He suddenly feels the menace of the rest of the crew.
2. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
(a) They are sneaky and subtle.
(b) They are picturesquely wicked.
(c) They are strong and virtuous.
(d) They are mild and calm.
3. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view the world?
(a) Full of sunshine, flowers, and rainbows.
(b) Full of puzzles, traps, and confusion.
(c) Full of dangers, snares, and delusions.
(d) Full of casualties, despotism, and knocks on the head.
4. What was the message of the church meeting the narrator observed?
(a) "Repent and be saved."
(b) "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's."
(c) "Ye are the salt of the earth."
(d) "Hide not your light under a bushel."
5. What did buccaneers leave on the islands that Melville claims is proof of their better traits?
(a) Planted gardens.
(b) Carved stone furniture.
(c) Buried treasure.
(d) Planted orchards.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator accommodate the weakness of his oldest scrivener?
2. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view locomotives and steamships?
3. What does the arrangement of the office allow Bartleby to do with the narrator?
4. Why doesn't the narrator dismiss Bartleby for insubordination?
5. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator respond the first time Bartleby answers a request with, "I would prefer not to"?
2. Why did the first seven of Steelkilt's men come out of their imprisonment?
3. In "Rich Man's Crumbs," why is the narrator called a "graceless ragamuffin"?
4. In "The Happy Failure," what is the uncle's great invention?
5. What are Turkey's shortcomings as a scrivener?
6. Why does Melville call Redondo the "aviary of the ocean"?
7. What purpose does the circle of listeners serve in "The Town-Ho's Story"?
8. What verb tenses does Melville use in "The Two Temples" to bring immediacy to the story?
9. What does the captain decide to do with Steelkilt and those who followed him in insubordination?
10. Why does Melville come to believe that some buccaneers on the isle of Albermarle must have been gentlemen?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)