|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Peruvian listeners force the storyteller to do to prove his story is true?
(a) Show some evidence.
(b) Cross his heart.
(c) Produce another witness.
(d) Swear on the Bible.
2. Why does the Town-Ho's captain have to put the ship into port?
(a) There has been a mutiny on board.
(b) It has sprung a leak.
(c) Its crewmen are ill with scurvy.
(d) It has run out of supplies.
3. With what weapon does Radney threaten Steelkilt?
(a) A rope.
(b) A knife.
(c) A hammer.
(d) A gun.
4. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
(a) They are picturesquely wicked.
(b) They are sneaky and subtle.
(c) They are strong and virtuous.
(d) They are mild and calm.
5. What does a scrivener do?
(a) Makes copies of legal documents.
(b) Researches legal precedents.
(c) Records testimony in court.
(d) Organizes court records.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous person expressed a good opinion of the narrator of Bartleby?
2. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
3. What does the narrator's middle-aged employee offer to do for Bartleby?
4. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
5. What animal from the islands supplies sailors with food and utensils?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the poet Blandmour feel about poverty in "Poor Man's Pudding"?
2. What are Turkey's shortcomings as a scrivener?
3. Why does the narrator say that pity turns into repulsion?
4. What verb tenses does Melville use in "The Two Temples" to bring immediacy to the story?
5. Why does the narrator continue to accept Bartleby's refusals?
6. Why did the first seven of Steelkilt's men come out of their imprisonment?
7. Why does Melville refer to Oberlus as "a creature whom it is religion to detest?"
8. What words does the narrator use to describe Bartleby when he first meets him?
9. What purpose does the circle of listeners serve in "The Town-Ho's Story"?
10. What superstition do sailors have about the tortoises in "The Encantadas"?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)