|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't the narrator dismiss Bartleby for insubordination?
(a) Bartleby is distressed.
(b) Bartleby is obviously emotionally upset.
(c) Bartleby promises to improve.
(d) Bartleby is calm, showing no emotion.
2. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
(a) The rooster reminds him of a song.
(b) The rooster reminds him of a character in a book.
(c) The rooster reminds him of a character in a play.
(d) The rooster reminds him of his neighbor.
3. How does Melville describe pelicans?
(a) Woebegone and penitential.
(b) Clever and complicated.
(c) Elegant and streamlined.
(d) Modest and humble.
4. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
(a) A riotocracy.
(b) A democracy.
(c) A monarchy.
(d) A theocracy.
5. What does Blandmour believe God does for the poor?
(a) God charges the rich to care for the poor.
(b) God gives the poor the challenges they need.
(c) God gives the poor very little help.
(d) God gives the poor everything they need for free.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a scrivener do?
2. What does Melville say is the most populous species on the island of Albermarle?
3. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
4. What surprises the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" about the owner of the rooster?
5. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator say that pity turns into repulsion?
2. What was disrespectful about Radney asking Steelkilt to sweep the deck?
3. How does the creditor in "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo" torment the narrator?
4. Why does Melville refer to Oberlus as "a creature whom it is religion to detest?"
5. What are Turkey's shortcomings as a scrivener?
6. Why does the narrator continue to accept Bartleby's refusals?
7. Why did the two remaining followers of Steelkilt each hope to be the first out of the hold?
8. What superstition do sailors have about the tortoises in "The Encantadas"?
9. What purpose does the circle of listeners serve in "The Town-Ho's Story"?
10. How does the narrator respond the first time Bartleby answers a request with, "I would prefer not to"?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)