|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
(a) His creditor is a grumpy person.
(b) His interest payments are exorbitant.
(c) His debt was unfairly imposed.
(d) He is a hospitable, generous man.
2. What do the Peruvian listeners force the storyteller to do to prove his story is true?
(a) Produce another witness.
(b) Cross his heart.
(c) Show some evidence.
(d) Swear on the Bible.
3. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
(a) Bartleby is only occasionally industrious.
(b) Bartleby is relentlessly cheerful.
(c) Bartleby is frighteningly mechanical.
(d) Bartleby is not cheerful.
4. What did a strange boy give the narrator in the theater?
(a) An unexpected smile.
(b) A cake of barley.
(c) A cup of coffee.
(d) A cup of ale.
5. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
(a) They think Bartleby should be forgiven.
(b) They think Bartleby should be promoted.
(c) They think Bartleby should be excused.
(d) They think Bartleby should be fired.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the narrator punished for sneaking into the church?
2. What do Steelkilt and his men demand in return for obeying orders?
3. What does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe the rooster's crow is saying?
4. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
5. What action does Steelkilt determine to take after being locked in the hold?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Melville call Redondo the "aviary of the ocean"?
2. What does the author of "Poor Man's Pudding" and "Rich Man's Crumbs" pray that Heaven will save him from?
3. Why did the two remaining followers of Steelkilt each hope to be the first out of the hold?
4. How does the narrator respond the first time Bartleby answers a request with, "I would prefer not to"?
5. How does the poet Blandmour feel about poverty in "Poor Man's Pudding"?
6. What words does the narrator use to describe Bartleby when he first meets him?
7. What do the sailors in "The Encantadas" do with tortoises?
8. Why does Melville come to believe that some buccaneers on the isle of Albermarle must have been gentlemen?
9. How is the accuracy of copy verified by scriveners?
10. What is Nippers's shortcoming as a scrivener?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)