|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal from the islands supplies sailors with food and utensils?
(a) The albatross.
(b) The seal.
(c) The iguana.
(d) The tortoise.
2. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
(a) Bartleby's friendship.
(c) The approval of his employees.
(d) The approval of his peers.
3. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
(b) Ginger nuts.
(c) Pine nuts.
4. What good qualities does Bartleby have as an employee?
(a) He is amiable and friendly.
(b) He is hard-working and honest.
(c) He is eager to help.
(d) He is enthusiastic and energetic.
5. Why doesn't the narrator dismiss Bartleby for insubordination?
(a) Bartleby promises to improve.
(b) Bartleby is distressed.
(c) Bartleby is obviously emotionally upset.
(d) Bartleby is calm, showing no emotion.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what alliteration does Melville describe the islands?
2. What did a strange boy give the narrator in the theater?
3. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
4. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
5. What famous person expressed a good opinion of the narrator of Bartleby?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator respond the first time Bartleby answers a request with, "I would prefer not to"?
2. Why does Melville call Redondo the "aviary of the ocean"?
3. What does the narrator say happens to one in command who discovers a subordinate who is "significantly his superior"?
4. What did Steelkilt's followers decide to do upon their release?
5. How does the creditor in "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo" torment the narrator?
6. What purpose does the circle of listeners serve in "The Town-Ho's Story"?
7. Why did the first seven of Steelkilt's men come out of their imprisonment?
8. Why does Melville refer to Oberlus as "a creature whom it is religion to detest?"
9. What does Steelkilt demand to prevent a mutiny?
10. In "Rich Man's Crumbs," why is the narrator called a "graceless ragamuffin"?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)