|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
(b) Tax accountant.
2. What surprises the narrator when he goes to his office on a Sunday?
(a) Bartleby has been living there.
(b) Bartleby has invited friends to the office.
(c) Bartleby has been working on the weekend.
(d) Bartleby has stolen his things.
3. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
(a) His neighbor.
(b) His banker.
(c) His creditor.
(d) His wife.
4. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
(a) The bat.
(b) The walrus.
(c) The cormorant.
(d) The penguin.
5. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
(a) He apologizes.
(b) He offers to double his payment.
(c) He throws him out.
(d) He pays him promptly.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Melville describe pelicans?
2. How does the narrator of "The Two Temples" attend the meeting at the church?
3. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
4. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
5. What does Melville say is the most populous species on the island of Albermarle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Melville call Redondo the "aviary of the ocean"?
2. What does the author of "Poor Man's Pudding" and "Rich Man's Crumbs" pray that Heaven will save him from?
3. What differences does Melville claim exist between the archetypal handsome sailor and Billy Budd?
4. What does the narrator claim shows Jack Gentian's natural gentility?
5. What is Captain Delano's intention in boarding Benito Cereno's ship?
6. What does the landscape painter, B. Hobbema Brown, believe about the Marquis de Grandvin?
7. How does Melville describe Captain Vere in "Billy Budd"?
8. What are Turkey's shortcomings as a scrivener?
9. What was disrespectful about Radney asking Steelkilt to sweep the deck?
10. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" believe his chimney is good for invalids?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)