|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) Solitude and desolation.
(b) Fascination and charm.
(c) Beauty and peace.
(d) Silence and serenity.
2. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
(a) They think Bartleby should be forgiven.
(b) They think Bartleby should be excused.
(c) They think Bartleby should be promoted.
(d) They think Bartleby should be fired.
3. What did the American ship, the Essex, see in the Encantadas?
(a) A pirate ship.
(b) A ghost ship.
(c) An enchanted ship.
(d) An English ship.
4. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
(a) A Chilean adventurer.
(b) A Creole soldier.
(c) A Bolivian pirate.
(d) A Peruvian king.
5. What prevents Steelkilt from taking revenge on Radney?
(a) Moby Dick kills Radney.
(b) Radney apologizes.
(c) Steelkilt has a change of heart.
(d) The captain orders Radney executed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Steelkilt threaten to do if he is flogged by the captain?
2. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
3. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
4. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
5. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
Short Essay Questions
1. What skills are necessary for a scrivener?
2. What was disrespectful about Radney asking Steelkilt to sweep the deck?
3. Why is the direct route for an ocean voyage not always the fastest or best, according to Melville in "The Encantadas"?
4. Why does Melville come to believe that some buccaneers on the isle of Albermarle must have been gentlemen?
5. How does the creditor in "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo" torment the narrator?
6. What does Steelkilt demand to prevent a mutiny?
7. What do the sailors in "The Encantadas" do with tortoises?
8. Why does Melville believe that American poor suffer more than European poor?
9. What verb tenses does Melville use in "The Two Temples" to bring immediacy to the story?
10. Why does the narrator say that pity turns into repulsion?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)