|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the American ship, the Essex, see in the Encantadas?
(a) An enchanted ship.
(b) An English ship.
(c) A ghost ship.
(d) A pirate ship.
2. What does the crew decide to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
(a) Start a mutiny.
(b) Desert together.
(c) Murder Radney.
(d) Obey the captain.
3. What action does Steelkilt determine to take after being locked in the hold?
(a) He will seize the ship.
(b) He will apologize.
(c) He will kill Radney.
(d) He will kill the captain.
4. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
(a) Chompers, Grumpy, and Short Stuff.
(b) Chicken, Rooster, and Cluck.
(c) Turkey, Nippers, and Ginger Nut.
(d) Grandpa, Grumpy, and The Kid.
5. Why does the captain decide not to flog Steelkilt?
(a) He suddenly feels the menace of the rest of the crew.
(b) Steelkilt makes an inaudible threat.
(c) He suddenly feels ashamed of his own behavior.
(d) He suddenly feels sorry for Steelkilt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Poor Man's Pudding?
2. Where does the narrator in The Town-Ho's story tell his tale?
3. What is the narrator's condition when he goes to the theater in London?
4. How does the narrator of "The Two Temples" attend the meeting at the church?
5. What has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" invented?
Short Essay Questions
1. What words does the narrator use to describe Bartleby when he first meets him?
2. What was disrespectful about Radney asking Steelkilt to sweep the deck?
3. What does the narrator say happens to one in command who discovers a subordinate who is "significantly his superior"?
4. Why does Melville call Redondo the "aviary of the ocean"?
5. In "The Happy Failure," what is the uncle's great invention?
6. What purpose does the circle of listeners serve in "The Town-Ho's Story"?
7. Why does the narrator continue to accept Bartleby's refusals?
8. What does Steelkilt demand to prevent a mutiny?
9. Why did the two remaining followers of Steelkilt each hope to be the first out of the hold?
10. What do the sailors in "The Encantadas" do with tortoises?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)