|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" about the owner of the rooster?
(a) He is old.
(b) He has many such roosters.
(c) He is poor.
(d) He has a large family.
2. What was the message of the church meeting the narrator observed?
(a) "Repent and be saved."
(b) "Ye are the salt of the earth."
(c) "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's."
(d) "Hide not your light under a bushel."
3. Where does the narrator in The Town-Ho's story tell his tale?
(a) On the deck of the Town-Ho.
(b) Lima, Peru.
(c) On the deck of the Pequod.
(d) The Cape of Good Hope.
4. What good qualities does Bartleby have as an employee?
(a) He is enthusiastic and energetic.
(b) He is hard-working and honest.
(c) He is amiable and friendly.
(d) He is eager to help.
5. How does the narrator of "The Two Temples" attend the meeting at the church?
(a) He bribes the man who guards the door.
(b) He disguises himself as the bell ringer.
(c) He hides in the bell tower.
(d) He sneaks into the foyer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator accommodate the weakness of his oldest scrivener?
2. How much does the uncle in "The Happy Failure" think his invention is worth?
3. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
4. Why does Radney dislike Steelkilt?
5. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What superstition do sailors have about the tortoises in "The Encantadas"?
2. In "The Happy Failure," what is the uncle's great invention?
3. Why is the direct route for an ocean voyage not always the fastest or best, according to Melville in "The Encantadas"?
4. How does the narrator respond the first time Bartleby answers a request with, "I would prefer not to"?
5. What was disrespectful about Radney asking Steelkilt to sweep the deck?
6. Why did the first seven of Steelkilt's men come out of their imprisonment?
7. What are Turkey's shortcomings as a scrivener?
8. How is the accuracy of copy verified by scriveners?
9. What does the captain decide to do with Steelkilt and those who followed him in insubordination?
10. What does Steelkilt demand to prevent a mutiny?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)