|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What good qualities does Bartleby have as an employee?
(a) He is eager to help.
(b) He is enthusiastic and energetic.
(c) He is amiable and friendly.
(d) He is hard-working and honest.
2. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
(a) A democracy.
(b) A monarchy.
(c) A riotocracy.
(d) A theocracy.
3. What surprises the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" about the owner of the rooster?
(a) He has many such roosters.
(b) He is old.
(c) He has a large family.
(d) He is poor.
4. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view the world?
(a) Full of casualties, despotism, and knocks on the head.
(b) Full of dangers, snares, and delusions.
(c) Full of sunshine, flowers, and rainbows.
(d) Full of puzzles, traps, and confusion.
5. What does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe the rooster's crow is saying?
(a) Glory be to God in the highest!
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
2. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
3. With what weapon does Radney threaten Steelkilt?
4. Why does Radney dislike Steelkilt?
5. Who are Pedro and Sebastian in The Town-Ho's Story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Nippers's shortcoming as a scrivener?
2. What verb tenses does Melville use in "The Two Temples" to bring immediacy to the story?
3. What was disrespectful about Radney asking Steelkilt to sweep the deck?
4. Why does Melville come to believe that some buccaneers on the isle of Albermarle must have been gentlemen?
5. What do the sailors in "The Encantadas" do with tortoises?
6. How does the creditor in "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo" torment the narrator?
7. What purpose does the circle of listeners serve in "The Town-Ho's Story"?
8. What words does the narrator use to describe Bartleby when he first meets him?
9. What does Steelkilt demand to prevent a mutiny?
10. What does the author of "Poor Man's Pudding" and "Rich Man's Crumbs" pray that Heaven will save him from?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)