|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bartleby respond to the other employees?
(a) He ignores them.
(b) He resents them.
(c) He emulates them.
(d) He thanks them.
2. What does Melville believe the charities of London do for the poor?
(a) The charities of London soften the poor.
(b) The charities of London strengthen the poor.
(c) The charities of London embolden the poor.
(d) The charities of London madden the poor.
3. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
(a) Questions his own mind.
(b) Acquiesces out of courtesy.
(c) Digs in his heels.
(d) Doubts the other person.
4. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
(a) It would justify Radney's dishonorable actions.
(b) It would lead to a admiralty investigation.
(c) It would be unfair.
(d) It would spark a mutiny.
5. What do the Peruvian listeners force the storyteller to do to prove his story is true?
(a) Produce another witness.
(b) Show some evidence.
(c) Swear on the Bible.
(d) Cross his heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
2. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
3. What was the message of the church meeting the narrator observed?
4. What object does the lookout spot that takes Melville's ship to Norfolk Isle?
5. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view locomotives and steamships?
Short Essay Questions
1. What verb tenses does Melville use in "The Two Temples" to bring immediacy to the story?
2. What is the figurehead on the San Dominick?
3. Why does the owner of the paper factory in "The Tartarus of Maids" tell the narrator that all of his workers are called "girls"?
4. What does Steelkilt demand to prevent a mutiny?
5. What skills are necessary for a scrivener?
6. How does Melville describe Captain Vere in "Billy Budd"?
7. Why does the narrator of "The Lightning Rod Man" compare the salesman to a worm?
8. Why does the narrator continue to accept Bartleby's refusals?
9. Why does Melville call Redondo the "aviary of the ocean"?
10. How have the Knights Templar changed, according to Melville's observations, in "The Paradise of Bachelors"?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)