|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Steelkilt respond to Radney's request that he sweep the deck?
(a) He loudly refuses.
(b) He quietly refuses.
(c) He meekly obeys.
(d) He complains loudly.
2. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
(a) They call for help.
(b) They murder the captain.
(c) They desert the ship.
(d) They give up life on the sea.
3. How does Melville describe pelicans?
(a) Modest and humble.
(b) Elegant and streamlined.
(c) Woebegone and penitential.
(d) Clever and complicated.
4. What animal from the islands supplies sailors with food and utensils?
(a) The seal.
(b) The tortoise.
(c) The iguana.
(d) The albatross.
5. What happens to the rooster when the Merrymusk family dies?
(a) The rooster dies too.
(b) The rooster goes home with the narrator.
(c) The rooster is sold for five hundred dollars.
(d) The rooster crows on the graves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object does the lookout spot that takes Melville's ship to Norfolk Isle?
2. With what weapon does Radney threaten Steelkilt?
3. Who are Pedro and Sebastian in The Town-Ho's Story?
4. Of what does the onstage action in the London theater remind the narrator?
5. What does Melville believe the charities of London do for the poor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say happens to one in command who discovers a subordinate who is "significantly his superior"?
2. In "The Happy Failure," what is the uncle's great invention?
3. Why did the two remaining followers of Steelkilt each hope to be the first out of the hold?
4. Why does Melville call Redondo the "aviary of the ocean"?
5. Why did the first seven of Steelkilt's men come out of their imprisonment?
6. What was disrespectful about Radney asking Steelkilt to sweep the deck?
7. What words does the narrator use to describe Bartleby when he first meets him?
8. What are Turkey's shortcomings as a scrivener?
9. How does the narrator respond the first time Bartleby answers a request with, "I would prefer not to"?
10. What did Steelkilt's followers decide to do upon their release?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)