|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
(a) Moby Dick.
(b) Billy Budd.
(d) The Confidence Man.
2. Why does Radney dislike Steelkilt?
(a) Steelkilt is unfriendly.
(b) Steelkilt is insubordinate.
(c) Steelkilt is handsome.
(d) Steelkilt is rude.
3. What surprises the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" about the owner of the rooster?
(a) He is old.
(b) He is poor.
(c) He has many such roosters.
(d) He has a large family.
4. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
(a) They are strong and virtuous.
(b) They are sneaky and subtle.
(c) They are picturesquely wicked.
(d) They are mild and calm.
5. What did a strange boy give the narrator in the theater?
(a) A cup of ale.
(b) A cake of barley.
(c) A cup of coffee.
(d) An unexpected smile.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
2. What previous employment had shaped Bartleby?
3. How long has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" worked on his invention?
4. What good qualities does Bartleby have as an employee?
5. What part of the United States does the narrator of the Town-Ho's story claim is much like the sea?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator respond the first time Bartleby answers a request with, "I would prefer not to"?
2. What superstition do sailors have about the tortoises in "The Encantadas"?
3. What does the author of "Poor Man's Pudding" and "Rich Man's Crumbs" pray that Heaven will save him from?
4. What does the narrator say happens to one in command who discovers a subordinate who is "significantly his superior"?
5. Why does the narrator continue to accept Bartleby's refusals?
6. What stylistic devices does Melville use to give the reader the feeling of the rooster's crow in "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo"?
7. What did Steelkilt's followers decide to do upon their release?
8. How does the creditor in "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo" torment the narrator?
9. What words does the narrator use to describe Bartleby when he first meets him?
10. What skills are necessary for a scrivener?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)