|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Captain Delano when he first sees Benito Cereno's ship?
(a) The ship is in ill repair.
(b) The ship is bound for an uninhabited island.
(c) The ship is giving a distress signal.
(d) The ship doesn't fly the flag of any nation.
2. Why had Jimmy Rose never married?
(a) He was too shy.
(b) He loved all women equally.
(c) He ws unattractive.
(d) He didn't like women.
3. What caused the loss of Jimmy Rose's fortune?
(b) Duplicitous dealings.
(c) His overly generous dealings.
(d) The stock market crash.
4. Who wrote the book lying on the apple-tree table?
(b) Cotton Mather.
5. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" identify with his chimney?
(a) They are both obese old smokers.
(b) They are both. the center of attention.
(c) They are both tall and handsome.
(d) They are both an annoyance to the household.
6. What does John Gentian say are caused by stirring deeds?
(a) Stirring thoughts.
(b) Stirring novels.
(c) Stirring songs.
(d) Stirring rhymes.
7. How does the narrator of "The Piazza" travel to the spot in the mountains that he wants to see?
(a) In a carriage.
(b) On foot.
(c) In a yawl.
(d) On horseback.
8. Who is Atufal?
(a) A leader of the slaves.
(b) A complaining woman among the slaves.
(c) A chained slave.
(d) Babo's best friend.
9. To what did Captain Delano attribute Benito Cereno's ineffectiveness as captain?
(a) Ignorance, pride, and stubbornness.
(b) Cruelty, harshness, and unkindness.
(c) Youth, sickness, and gentility.
(d) Foolhardy disregard for good advice.
10. What does the narrator decide to give the apple-tree table when he first discovers it?
(a) A happier book.
(b) Kind attention.
(c) A place of honor.
(d) A warm environment.
11. How do the bachelors in the Temple keep time?
(a) By the courses of the meal.
(b) By their reminiscences.
(c) By the jokes they told.
(d) By the wine they drank.
12. What mythical character does the narrator say would have failed at his task if the chimney had then been in existence?
13. How does Captain Delano view the attitude of the black people on board?
(a) The black people seem to Captain Delano to be cheerful and content.
(b) The black people seem to Captain Delano to be insubordinate.
(c) The black people seem to Captain Delano to be cringing and fearful.
(d) The black people seem to Captain Delano to be competent and well-trained.
14. How was John Marr wounded?
(a) Fighting in the War of 1812.
(b) Falling from a ship's rigging.
(d) Fighting with pirates.
15. What overcomes Captain Delano's criticism of Benito Cereno?
Short Answer Questions
1. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
2. How does Captain Delano evaluate Babo when he first meets him?
3. What rumor pursues Daniel Orme into his life on shore?
4. What emblem does John Gentian wear on his left lapel?
5. Why does the narrator of "The Piazza" feel that the house must have a piazza?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)