|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Captain Delano when he first sees Benito Cereno's ship?
(a) The ship is giving a distress signal.
(b) The ship is bound for an uninhabited island.
(c) The ship is in ill repair.
(d) The ship doesn't fly the flag of any nation.
2. Why does John Gentian take "liberties with etiquette"?
(a) He is straightforward and impulsive.
(b) He is rude and thoughtless.
(c) He is unlearned.
(d) He is concerned with larger issues.
3. On what holiday does John Gentian converse with passers-by?
(d) The Fourth of July.
4. Why is the strange ship low on provisions?
(a) They have been lost.
(b) They have been becalmed.
(c) They have taken on additional passengers.
(d) They have been under supplied.
5. Why is it hard to see the mill when coming upon it?
(a) The mill's entrance is disguised by branches.
(b) The whole landscape is white.
(c) The mill is painted to camouflage the entrance.
(d) The mill is hidden in a cave.
6. How was John Marr wounded?
(a) Fighting in the War of 1812.
(b) Fighting with pirates.
(d) Falling from a ship's rigging.
7. What sentence was chalked below the figurehead?
(a) "Never follow."
(b) "Follow orders."
(c) "Follow your faith."
(d) "Follow your leader."
8. What sort of feet did the apple-tree table have?
(a) Hooves like Satan.
(b) Carved mahogany.
(c) Brass fittings.
(d) Marble balls.
9. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" aspire to become?
10. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" identify with his chimney?
(a) They are both. the center of attention.
(b) They are both tall and handsome.
(c) They are both an annoyance to the household.
(d) They are both obese old smokers.
11. Who is Atufal?
(a) Babo's best friend.
(b) A chained slave.
(c) A leader of the slaves.
(d) A complaining woman among the slaves.
12. To what did Captain Delano attribute the ship's being so long becalmed?
(a) Bad luck.
(b) Unusual weather.
(d) Poor seamanship.
13. Who finally persuaded the narrator of "I and My Chimney" to knock a few feet off the chimney?
(a) His wife.
(b) His mortgage holder
(c) His daughters.
(d) His neighbor.
14. What does Benito Cereno say has happened to his partner, Alexandro Aranda?
(a) He died of fever.
(b) He fell overboard.
(c) He left the ship at the last port.
(d) He was murdered.
15. What does the narrator in "The Paradise of Bachelors" say has become of the Knights Templar?
(a) They've become schoolteachers.
(b) They've become warriors.
(c) They've become doctors.
(d) They've become lawyers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Captain Delano evaluate Babo when he first meets him?
2. How does the lightning rod salesman feel about thunderstorms?
3. Why was Bannadonna excused for the homicide he committed?
4. What was the disadvantage of building the piazza on the north side of the house?
5. How do the bachelors in the Temple keep time?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)