|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" feel about the storm before the salesman arrives?
(a) He thinks the storm "thought-provoking."
(b) He thinks the storm is "terrifying."
(c) He thinks the storm is "radiant" and "beautiful."
(d) He thinks the storm is "grand" and "glorious."
2. What caused the bell-ringing automaton to kill Bannadonna?
(b) A design flaw.
(c) A manufacturing error.
(d) An unrepaired defect.
3. What first alarms the narrator about the apple-tree table?
(a) A mysterious odor.
(b) A steady drip.
(c) A sense of pervading evil.
(d) A ticking sound.
4. What overcomes Captain Delano's criticism of Benito Cereno?
5. To what did Captain Delano attribute the ship's being so long becalmed?
(a) Poor seamanship.
(b) Bad luck.
(d) Unusual weather.
6. Why does John Gentian take "liberties with etiquette"?
(a) He is concerned with larger issues.
(b) He is straightforward and impulsive.
(c) He is rude and thoughtless.
(d) He is unlearned.
7. What rumor pursues Daniel Orme into his life on shore?
(a) He was a war hero.
(b) He was a buccaneer.
(c) He was a thief.
(d) He was Frenchman.
8. Why does the narrator of "The Piazza" believe the soil is richer around the cottage that he finds?
(a) There is more sunlight there.
(b) The garden is obviously well-fed there.
(c) The owners have planted there.
(d) There is a sense of blessedness there.
9. Who wrote the book lying on the apple-tree table?
(c) Cotton Mather.
10. How does Captain Delano evaluate Benito Cereno's condition when he first meets him?
(a) Captain Delano evalutes Benito Cereno as dictatorial.
(b) Captain Delano evaluates Benito Cereno as weak and ineffectual.
(c) Captain Delano perceives Benito Cereno to be physically and mentally disabled.
(d) Captain Delano evalutes Benito Cereno as cruel.
11. What had Hautboy lost in order to succeed?
12. How does Captain Delano evaluate Babo when he first meets him?
(a) Captain Delano evaluates Babo as uncomfortably familiar.
(b) Captain Delano evalutes Babo as a devoted companion.
(c) Captain Delano evalutes Babo as vaguely threatening.
(d) Captain Delano evaluates Babo as woefully ignorant.
13. Why was Bannadonna excused for the homicide he committed?
(a) It was justifiable.
(b) It was caused by esthetic passion.
(c) It was accidental.
(d) It was done in self-defense.
14. What is the attitude of the bachelors in the Temple toward pain and trouble?
(a) Pain and trouble are for other people.
(b) Pain and trouble are unavoidable.
(c) Pain and trouble are everywhere.
(d) Pain and trouble are nonexistent.
15. What emblem does John Gentian refuse to wear?
(a) Any American flag.
(b) Any Civil War emblem.
(c) Any Revolutionary War emblem.
(d) Any emblem of wealth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "The Piazza" feel that the house must have a piazza?
2. What habit of the bachelors in the Temple does the narrator wish to introduce in his own country?
3. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" do with his manuscripts?
4. What sort of feet did the apple-tree table have?
5. What does the narrator in "The Paradise of Bachelors" say has become of the Knights Templar?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)