|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator decide to give the apple-tree table when he first discovers it?
(a) A happier book.
(b) A warm environment.
(c) A place of honor.
(d) Kind attention.
2. How do the bachelors in the Temple keep time?
(a) By the wine they drank.
(b) By the jokes they told.
(c) By the courses of the meal.
(d) By their reminiscences.
3. What do the maids work to produce?
4. Why does the narrator of "Jimmy Rose" refuse to change the wallpaper in his parlor?
(a) It reminds him of Jimmy Rose.
(b) It reminds him of his childhood.
(c) It reminds him of better days.
(d) It reminds him or a rose garden.
5. Why does the narrator of "The Piazza" believe the soil is richer around the cottage that he finds?
(a) The owners have planted there.
(b) There is a sense of blessedness there.
(c) The garden is obviously well-fed there.
(d) There is more sunlight there.
6. Who is Atufal?
(a) A complaining woman among the slaves.
(b) Babo's best friend.
(c) A leader of the slaves.
(d) A chained slave.
7. How does the narrator of "The Piazza" travel to the spot in the mountains that he wants to see?
(a) On foot.
(b) In a carriage.
(c) On horseback.
(d) In a yawl.
8. How does Captain Delano evaluate Benito Cereno's condition when he first meets him?
(a) Captain Delano perceives Benito Cereno to be physically and mentally disabled.
(b) Captain Delano evalutes Benito Cereno as dictatorial.
(c) Captain Delano evalutes Benito Cereno as cruel.
(d) Captain Delano evaluates Benito Cereno as weak and ineffectual.
9. To what did Captain Delano attribute Benito Cereno's ineffectiveness as captain?
(a) Ignorance, pride, and stubbornness.
(b) Youth, sickness, and gentility.
(c) Cruelty, harshness, and unkindness.
(d) Foolhardy disregard for good advice.
10. How does the narrator of "The Apple-Tree Table" feel as his wife and daughters become more frightened?
(a) He feels more frightened than they.
(b) He feels worse.
(c) He feels braver.
(d) He feels numb.
11. Why had Jimmy Rose often been chosen to present awards?
(a) He was a generous donor.
(b) He was famous.
(c) He was handsome.
(d) He spoke well.
12. Who lives in the cottage that the narrator of "The Piazza" finds in the mountains?
(a) A lonely widow.
(b) An orphaned brother and sister.
(c) A newlywed husband and wife.
(d) No one.
13. What disease does Captain Delano learn has swept off much of the crew and cargo of slaves?
14. What had Hautboy lost in order to succeed?
15. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
(a) The table is unusually beautiful.
(b) The table is Satanic-looking.
(c) The table is inscribed with signs and symbols.
(d) The table is old.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Melville describe Captain Delano's personality?
2. To what did Captain Delano attribute the ship's being so long becalmed?
3. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" identify with his chimney?
4. What habit of the bachelors in the Temple does the narrator wish to introduce in his own country?
5. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" aspire to become?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)