|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Captain Delano evaluate Babo when he first meets him?
(a) Captain Delano evaluates Babo as uncomfortably familiar.
(b) Captain Delano evalutes Babo as a devoted companion.
(c) Captain Delano evaluates Babo as woefully ignorant.
(d) Captain Delano evalutes Babo as vaguely threatening.
2. What did Jimmy Rose have to offer the rich after he lost his fortune?
3. On what holiday does John Gentian converse with passers-by?
(d) The Fourth of July.
4. How does Captain Delano evaluate Benito Cereno's condition when he first meets him?
(a) Captain Delano evalutes Benito Cereno as dictatorial.
(b) Captain Delano evaluates Benito Cereno as weak and ineffectual.
(c) Captain Delano perceives Benito Cereno to be physically and mentally disabled.
(d) Captain Delano evalutes Benito Cereno as cruel.
5. How does the lightning rod salesman feel about thunderstorms?
(a) He is assured of his own safety.
(b) He is terrified.
(c) He is relaxed and unafraid.
(d) He is confident.
6. Why had Jimmy Rose often been chosen to present awards?
(a) He was handsome.
(b) He was famous.
(c) He was a generous donor.
(d) He spoke well.
7. What caused the bell-ringing automaton to kill Bannadonna?
(a) A design flaw.
(b) A manufacturing error.
(d) An unrepaired defect.
8. Where do "'Gees" come from?
9. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" decide never to leave home?
(a) He is "sour and unsocial."
(b) He is standing guard over the chimney.
(c) He is busy rebuilding the house.
(d) His wife won't permit it.
10. What has Hautboy accomplished in "The Fiddler?"
(a) Hautboy has become rich.
(b) Hautboy has learned to be happy.
(c) Hautboy has become famous.
(d) Hautboy has developed great technical proficiency.
11. How does Captain Delano view the attitude of the black people on board?
(a) The black people seem to Captain Delano to be cringing and fearful.
(b) The black people seem to Captain Delano to be insubordinate.
(c) The black people seem to Captain Delano to be competent and well-trained.
(d) The black people seem to Captain Delano to be cheerful and content.
12. What overcomes Captain Delano's criticism of Benito Cereno?
13. Why had Jimmy Rose never married?
(a) He ws unattractive.
(b) He was too shy.
(c) He loved all women equally.
(d) He didn't like women.
14. In "I and My Chimney," what is the narrator's wife's maxim?
(a) Whatever is not, is not.
(c) Whatever is, is wrong and must be altered.
(d) Whatever is, is right.
15. Why does the narrator of "The Piazza" believe the soil is richer around the cottage that he finds?
(a) The owners have planted there.
(b) The garden is obviously well-fed there.
(c) There is a sense of blessedness there.
(d) There is more sunlight there.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Captain Delano evaluate the relationship between Benito Cereno and Babo?
2. How does Melville describe Captain Delano's personality?
3. What does Melville hope to do for the Marquis de Grandvin?
4. What does the narrator's wife think of his apprehension about the apple-tree table?
5. Who finally persuaded the narrator of "I and My Chimney" to knock a few feet off the chimney?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)