|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What first attracts the narrator of "The Piazza" to a building far in the mountains?
(a) The windows shine like gold.
(b) A rainbow ends there.
(c) It's exactly ninety degrees ahead of his piazza.
(d) A river runs through it.
2. Why is the strange ship low on provisions?
(a) They have been becalmed.
(b) They have taken on additional passengers.
(c) They have been under supplied.
(d) They have been lost.
3. What does the narrator's wife think of his apprehension about the apple-tree table?
(a) She thinks he is trying to frighten her.
(b) She thinks he is crazy.
(c) She thinks he is drunk.
(d) She thinks he is making it up.
4. What emblem does John Gentian wear on his left lapel?
(a) A Masonic symbol.
(b) Gold eagle wings.
(c) An army medal.
(d) A golden circle.
5. Whose cause does the Marquis de Grandvin champion?
(a) Freedom fighters.
(d) The French.
6. What does John Gentian say are caused by stirring deeds?
(a) Stirring thoughts.
(b) Stirring rhymes.
(c) Stirring songs.
(d) Stirring novels.
7. Why does the lightning rod salesman claim that his rods are superior?
(a) They're made of iron.
(b) They're made of copper.
(c) They're made of steel.
(d) They're made of magnesium.
8. Who is Atufal?
(a) A chained slave.
(b) A complaining woman among the slaves.
(c) A leader of the slaves.
(d) Babo's best friend.
9. How did Captain Delano evaluate the relationship between Benito Cereno and Babo?
(a) A distressing lack of respect.
(b) A frightening scene of dependency.
(c) An enviable spectacle of fidelity.
(d) A shocking breach of convention.
10. What caused the bell-ringing automaton to kill Bannadonna?
(a) An unrepaired defect.
(c) A design flaw.
(d) A manufacturing error.
11. What habit of the bachelors in the Temple does the narrator wish to introduce in his own country?
(c) Mulled wine.
12. How does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" feel about the storm before the salesman arrives?
(a) He thinks the storm is "terrifying."
(b) He thinks the storm is "grand" and "glorious."
(c) He thinks the storm is "radiant" and "beautiful."
(d) He thinks the storm "thought-provoking."
13. What god does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" think the salesman resembles?
14. What does Benito Cereno say has happened to his partner, Alexandro Aranda?
(a) He left the ship at the last port.
(b) He died of fever.
(c) He was murdered.
(d) He fell overboard.
15. What disease does Captain Delano learn has swept off much of the crew and cargo of slaves?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it hard to see the mill when coming upon it?
2. How does Melville describe Captain Delano's personality?
3. To what did Captain Delano attribute Benito Cereno's ineffectiveness as captain?
4. What indicates to Captain Delano that the strange ship may be in trouble?
5. Where do "'Gees" come from?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)