|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Captain Delano evaluate the relationship between Benito Cereno and Babo?
(a) A shocking breach of convention.
(b) An enviable spectacle of fidelity.
(c) A frightening scene of dependency.
(d) A distressing lack of respect.
2. What was the disadvantage of building the piazza on the north side of the house?
(a) The north side has the narrowest view.
(b) The north side faces the village.
(c) The north side is coldest.
(d) The north side faces the neighbors.
3. What disease does Captain Delano learn has swept off much of the crew and cargo of slaves?
4. Who is Atufal?
(a) A chained slave.
(b) Babo's best friend.
(c) A complaining woman among the slaves.
(d) A leader of the slaves.
5. What sort of feet did the apple-tree table have?
(a) Brass fittings.
(b) Marble balls.
(c) Carved mahogany.
(d) Hooves like Satan.
6. How does the lightning rod salesman feel about thunderstorms?
(a) He is assured of his own safety.
(b) He is relaxed and unafraid.
(c) He is terrified.
(d) He is confident.
7. What rumor pursues Daniel Orme into his life on shore?
(a) He was a thief.
(b) He was Frenchman.
(c) He was a buccaneer.
(d) He was a war hero.
8. Why does the narrator of "Jimmy Rose" refuse to change the wallpaper in his parlor?
(a) It reminds him of better days.
(b) It reminds him of his childhood.
(c) It reminds him of Jimmy Rose.
(d) It reminds him or a rose garden.
9. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
(a) The table is inscribed with signs and symbols.
(b) The table is unusually beautiful.
(c) The table is old.
(d) The table is Satanic-looking.
10. What is the attitude of the bachelors in the Temple toward pain and trouble?
(a) Pain and trouble are nonexistent.
(b) Pain and trouble are for other people.
(c) Pain and trouble are unavoidable.
(d) Pain and trouble are everywhere.
11. How does the narrator of "The Piazza" travel to the spot in the mountains that he wants to see?
(a) On foot.
(b) On horseback.
(c) In a yawl.
(d) In a carriage.
12. How does Captain Delano evaluate Babo when he first meets him?
(a) Captain Delano evaluates Babo as uncomfortably familiar.
(b) Captain Delano evalutes Babo as a devoted companion.
(c) Captain Delano evaluates Babo as woefully ignorant.
(d) Captain Delano evalutes Babo as vaguely threatening.
13. Who wrote the book lying on the apple-tree table?
(d) Cotton Mather.
14. What caused the loss of Jimmy Rose's fortune?
(b) The stock market crash.
(c) Duplicitous dealings.
(d) His overly generous dealings.
15. What had Hautboy lost in order to succeed?
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Captain Delano when he first sees Benito Cereno's ship?
2. What did Jimmy Rose have to offer the rich after he lost his fortune?
3. What effect does the Marquis de Grandvin have on those around him?
4. Why is it hard to see the mill when coming upon it?
5. What does Melville hope to do for the Marquis de Grandvin?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)