|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Captain Delano evaluate the relationship between Benito Cereno and Babo?
(a) An enviable spectacle of fidelity.
(b) A frightening scene of dependency.
(c) A distressing lack of respect.
(d) A shocking breach of convention.
2. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" aspire to become?
3. What mythical character does the narrator say would have failed at his task if the chimney had then been in existence?
4. What does the narrator decide to give the apple-tree table when he first discovers it?
(a) A happier book.
(b) A warm environment.
(c) Kind attention.
(d) A place of honor.
5. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" do with his manuscripts?
(a) Pays to have them printed.
(b) Reads them to strangers.
(c) Tears them up.
(d) Sends them to publishers.
6. What is the temperature at the mill?
(c) Oppressively hot.
7. What disease does Captain Delano learn has swept off much of the crew and cargo of slaves?
8. Why does the narrator of "Jimmy Rose" refuse to change the wallpaper in his parlor?
(a) It reminds him or a rose garden.
(b) It reminds him of Jimmy Rose.
(c) It reminds him of better days.
(d) It reminds him of his childhood.
9. What sentence was chalked below the figurehead?
(a) "Never follow."
(b) "Follow your faith."
(c) "Follow your leader."
(d) "Follow orders."
10. How does Captain Delano evaluate Babo when he first meets him?
(a) Captain Delano evaluates Babo as uncomfortably familiar.
(b) Captain Delano evaluates Babo as woefully ignorant.
(c) Captain Delano evalutes Babo as a devoted companion.
(d) Captain Delano evalutes Babo as vaguely threatening.
11. What impresses the narrator about the mill?
(a) The cheerfulness of the workers.
(b) The efficiency of the operation.
(c) The gigantic press machine.
(d) The clean air and water.
12. What is unusual about the strange ship's figurehead?
(a) It is covered in canvas wrapping.
(b) It is obviously from Castile.
(c) It is a plain, unmarked beak.
(d) It is beautifully carved.
13. What caused the loss of Jimmy Rose's fortune?
(b) The stock market crash.
(c) His overly generous dealings.
(d) Duplicitous dealings.
14. Why does John Gentian take "liberties with etiquette"?
(a) He is concerned with larger issues.
(b) He is straightforward and impulsive.
(c) He is unlearned.
(d) He is rude and thoughtless.
15. What emblem does John Gentian wear on his left lapel?
(a) Gold eagle wings.
(b) A Masonic symbol.
(c) An army medal.
(d) A golden circle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Bannadonna excused for the homicide he committed?
2. How do the bachelors in the Temple keep time?
3. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
4. How does Captain Delano view the attitude of the black people on board?
5. What is the attitude of the bachelors in the Temple toward pain and trouble?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)