|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had Hautboy lost in order to succeed?
2. How does Captain Delano evaluate Babo when he first meets him?
(a) Captain Delano evalutes Babo as a devoted companion.
(b) Captain Delano evaluates Babo as woefully ignorant.
(c) Captain Delano evaluates Babo as uncomfortably familiar.
(d) Captain Delano evalutes Babo as vaguely threatening.
3. Who wrote the book lying on the apple-tree table?
(c) Cotton Mather.
4. What sentence was chalked below the figurehead?
(a) "Follow your leader."
(b) "Follow orders."
(c) "Follow your faith."
(d) "Never follow."
5. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" identify with his chimney?
(a) They are both tall and handsome.
(b) They are both obese old smokers.
(c) They are both an annoyance to the household.
(d) They are both. the center of attention.
6. Why had Jimmy Rose never married?
(a) He ws unattractive.
(b) He loved all women equally.
(c) He didn't like women.
(d) He was too shy.
7. What does the narrator's wife think of his apprehension about the apple-tree table?
(a) She thinks he is trying to frighten her.
(b) She thinks he is crazy.
(c) She thinks he is drunk.
(d) She thinks he is making it up.
8. How was John Marr wounded?
(b) Falling from a ship's rigging.
(c) Fighting with pirates.
(d) Fighting in the War of 1812.
9. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" aspire to become?
10. Why is it hard to see the mill when coming upon it?
(a) The mill is painted to camouflage the entrance.
(b) The mill's entrance is disguised by branches.
(c) The whole landscape is white.
(d) The mill is hidden in a cave.
11. Why had Jimmy Rose often been chosen to present awards?
(a) He was famous.
(b) He spoke well.
(c) He was a generous donor.
(d) He was handsome.
12. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" do with his manuscripts?
(a) Sends them to publishers.
(b) Reads them to strangers.
(c) Tears them up.
(d) Pays to have them printed.
13. What caused the loss of Jimmy Rose's fortune?
(b) His overly generous dealings.
(c) The stock market crash.
(d) Duplicitous dealings.
14. What emblem does John Gentian wear on his left lapel?
(a) An army medal.
(b) A golden circle.
(c) Gold eagle wings.
(d) A Masonic symbol.
15. What emblem does John Gentian refuse to wear?
(a) Any Civil War emblem.
(b) Any American flag.
(c) Any Revolutionary War emblem.
(d) Any emblem of wealth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jimmy Rose have to offer the rich after he lost his fortune?
2. What does the narrator in "The Paradise of Bachelors" say has become of the Knights Templar?
3. Who lives in the cottage that the narrator of "The Piazza" finds in the mountains?
4. How does Captain Delano evaluate Benito Cereno's condition when he first meets him?
5. What god does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" think the salesman resembles?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)