|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jimmy Rose have to offer the rich after he lost his fortune?
2. What causes Captain Delano to suspect Benito Cereno is an impostor?
(a) His confusion.
(b) His bad manners.
(c) His weakness in command.
(d) His ignorance of seamanship.
3. What caused the bell-ringing automaton to kill Bannadonna?
(a) An unrepaired defect.
(b) A manufacturing error.
(d) A design flaw.
4. Why does the narrator of "Jimmy Rose" refuse to change the wallpaper in his parlor?
(a) It reminds him of his childhood.
(b) It reminds him of Jimmy Rose.
(c) It reminds him of better days.
(d) It reminds him or a rose garden.
5. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" decide never to leave home?
(a) He is standing guard over the chimney.
(b) His wife won't permit it.
(c) He is busy rebuilding the house.
(d) He is "sour and unsocial."
6. Why had Jimmy Rose often been chosen to present awards?
(a) He was handsome.
(b) He was famous.
(c) He was a generous donor.
(d) He spoke well.
7. Whose cause does the Marquis de Grandvin champion?
(c) Freedom fighters.
(d) The French.
8. What emblem does John Gentian refuse to wear?
(a) Any American flag.
(b) Any emblem of wealth.
(c) Any Civil War emblem.
(d) Any Revolutionary War emblem.
9. What surprises Captain Delano when he first sees Benito Cereno's ship?
(a) The ship is in ill repair.
(b) The ship is giving a distress signal.
(c) The ship doesn't fly the flag of any nation.
(d) The ship is bound for an uninhabited island.
10. What indicates to Captain Delano that the strange ship may be in trouble?
(a) The ship flies no flag.
(b) The ship seems uncertain of its direction.
(c) The ship is bound for an uninhabited island.
(d) The ship is giving a distress signal.
11. What had Hautboy lost in order to succeed?
12. What habit of the bachelors in the Temple does the narrator wish to introduce in his own country?
(a) Mulled wine.
13. What mythical character does the narrator say would have failed at his task if the chimney had then been in existence?
14. In "I and My Chimney," what is the narrator's wife's maxim?
(a) Whatever is, is wrong and must be altered.
(b) Whatever is, is right.
(d) Whatever is not, is not.
15. Why had Jimmy Rose never married?
(a) He didn't like women.
(b) He loved all women equally.
(c) He ws unattractive.
(d) He was too shy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What first attracts the narrator of "The Piazza" to a building far in the mountains?
2. How does the lightning rod salesman feel about thunderstorms?
3. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
4. What disease does Captain Delano learn has swept off much of the crew and cargo of slaves?
5. To what did Captain Delano attribute Benito Cereno's ineffectiveness as captain?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)