|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Benito Cereno say has happened to his partner, Alexandro Aranda?
(a) He left the ship at the last port.
(b) He died of fever.
(c) He fell overboard.
(d) He was murdered.
2. How does Captain Delano evaluate Benito Cereno's condition when he first meets him?
(a) Captain Delano evaluates Benito Cereno as weak and ineffectual.
(b) Captain Delano evalutes Benito Cereno as dictatorial.
(c) Captain Delano perceives Benito Cereno to be physically and mentally disabled.
(d) Captain Delano evalutes Benito Cereno as cruel.
3. What god does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" think the salesman resembles?
4. Who finally persuaded the narrator of "I and My Chimney" to knock a few feet off the chimney?
(a) His mortgage holder
(b) His wife.
(c) His neighbor.
(d) His daughters.
5. What does the narrator in "The Paradise of Bachelors" say has become of the Knights Templar?
(a) They've become warriors.
(b) They've become lawyers.
(c) They've become schoolteachers.
(d) They've become doctors.
6. What is unusual about the strange ship's figurehead?
(a) It is beautifully carved.
(b) It is covered in canvas wrapping.
(c) It is a plain, unmarked beak.
(d) It is obviously from Castile.
7. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" do with his manuscripts?
(a) Tears them up.
(b) Reads them to strangers.
(c) Sends them to publishers.
(d) Pays to have them printed.
8. What effect does the Marquis de Grandvin have on those around him?
(a) His presence is embarrassing.
(b) His presence is irritating.
(c) His presence is confusing.
(d) His presence is enriching.
9. What does the narrator's wife think of his apprehension about the apple-tree table?
(a) She thinks he is making it up.
(b) She thinks he is crazy.
(c) She thinks he is drunk.
(d) She thinks he is trying to frighten her.
10. What caused the loss of Jimmy Rose's fortune?
(a) His overly generous dealings.
(c) The stock market crash.
(d) Duplicitous dealings.
11. What surprises Captain Delano when he first sees Benito Cereno's ship?
(a) The ship is in ill repair.
(b) The ship is bound for an uninhabited island.
(c) The ship is giving a distress signal.
(d) The ship doesn't fly the flag of any nation.
12. Whose cause does the Marquis de Grandvin champion?
(a) The French.
(d) Freedom fighters.
13. What first attracts the narrator of "The Piazza" to a building far in the mountains?
(a) It's exactly ninety degrees ahead of his piazza.
(b) A river runs through it.
(c) The windows shine like gold.
(d) A rainbow ends there.
14. What habit of the bachelors in the Temple does the narrator wish to introduce in his own country?
(a) Mulled wine.
15. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" aspire to become?
Short Answer Questions
1. What overcomes Captain Delano's criticism of Benito Cereno?
2. Why had Jimmy Rose never married?
3. Why had Jimmy Rose often been chosen to present awards?
4. On what holiday does John Gentian converse with passers-by?
5. What caused the bell-ringing automaton to kill Bannadonna?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)