|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What first attracts the narrator of "The Piazza" to a building far in the mountains?
(a) It's exactly ninety degrees ahead of his piazza.
(b) The windows shine like gold.
(c) A rainbow ends there.
(d) A river runs through it.
2. What effect does the Marquis de Grandvin have on those around him?
(a) His presence is enriching.
(b) His presence is confusing.
(c) His presence is embarrassing.
(d) His presence is irritating.
3. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" aspire to become?
4. What sort of feet did the apple-tree table have?
(a) Carved mahogany.
(b) Hooves like Satan.
(c) Marble balls.
(d) Brass fittings.
5. In "I and My Chimney," what is the narrator's wife's maxim?
(a) Whatever is, is right.
(c) Whatever is not, is not.
(d) Whatever is, is wrong and must be altered.
6. Where do "'Gees" come from?
7. Why is Captain Delano glad he was not astute enough to recognize the mutiny?
(a) He would not have known what to do.
(b) He would have lost faith in mankind.
(c) He would have sacrificed his own crew.
(d) He would have been killed without helping Benito Cereno.
8. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" decide never to leave home?
(a) His wife won't permit it.
(b) He is busy rebuilding the house.
(c) He is standing guard over the chimney.
(d) He is "sour and unsocial."
9. On what holiday does John Gentian converse with passers-by?
(c) The Fourth of July.
10. How was John Marr wounded?
(a) Falling from a ship's rigging.
(c) Fighting with pirates.
(d) Fighting in the War of 1812.
11. What mythical character does the narrator say would have failed at his task if the chimney had then been in existence?
12. Who lives in the cottage that the narrator of "The Piazza" finds in the mountains?
(a) No one.
(b) A newlywed husband and wife.
(c) An orphaned brother and sister.
(d) A lonely widow.
13. How does Captain Delano view the attitude of the black people on board?
(a) The black people seem to Captain Delano to be cheerful and content.
(b) The black people seem to Captain Delano to be insubordinate.
(c) The black people seem to Captain Delano to be competent and well-trained.
(d) The black people seem to Captain Delano to be cringing and fearful.
14. Why is the strange ship low on provisions?
(a) They have been lost.
(b) They have taken on additional passengers.
(c) They have been becalmed.
(d) They have been under supplied.
15. What has Hautboy accomplished in "The Fiddler?"
(a) Hautboy has become famous.
(b) Hautboy has developed great technical proficiency.
(c) Hautboy has learned to be happy.
(d) Hautboy has become rich.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Piazza," how does the narrator's house look to the inhabitants of the mountain cottage?
2. What surprises Captain Delano when he first sees Benito Cereno's ship?
3. Why had Jimmy Rose often been chosen to present awards?
4. What is the attitude of the bachelors in the Temple toward pain and trouble?
5. What loss of John Gentian's is noticed most on May thirtieth?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)