|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the temperature at the mill?
(d) Oppressively hot.
2. On what holiday does John Gentian converse with passers-by?
(b) The Fourth of July.
3. What disease does Captain Delano learn has swept off much of the crew and cargo of slaves?
4. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
(a) The table is inscribed with signs and symbols.
(b) The table is old.
(c) The table is unusually beautiful.
(d) The table is Satanic-looking.
5. What effect does the Marquis de Grandvin have on those around him?
(a) His presence is enriching.
(b) His presence is embarrassing.
(c) His presence is confusing.
(d) His presence is irritating.
6. Where do "'Gees" come from?
7. How does the narrator of "The Piazza" travel to the spot in the mountains that he wants to see?
(a) In a yawl.
(b) On foot.
(c) On horseback.
(d) In a carriage.
8. Whose cause does the Marquis de Grandvin champion?
(a) Freedom fighters.
(b) The French.
9. What had Hautboy lost in order to succeed?
10. What habit of the bachelors in the Temple does the narrator wish to introduce in his own country?
(a) Mulled wine.
11. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" identify with his chimney?
(a) They are both obese old smokers.
(b) They are both an annoyance to the household.
(c) They are both tall and handsome.
(d) They are both. the center of attention.
12. How does Captain Delano evaluate Babo when he first meets him?
(a) Captain Delano evaluates Babo as woefully ignorant.
(b) Captain Delano evaluates Babo as uncomfortably familiar.
(c) Captain Delano evalutes Babo as vaguely threatening.
(d) Captain Delano evalutes Babo as a devoted companion.
13. Why does the narrator of "The Piazza" believe the soil is richer around the cottage that he finds?
(a) There is more sunlight there.
(b) The garden is obviously well-fed there.
(c) The owners have planted there.
(d) There is a sense of blessedness there.
14. What sentence was chalked below the figurehead?
(a) "Follow orders."
(b) "Follow your faith."
(c) "Never follow."
(d) "Follow your leader."
15. What rumor pursues Daniel Orme into his life on shore?
(a) He was a buccaneer.
(b) He was a war hero.
(c) He was Frenchman.
(d) He was a thief.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Captain Delano view the attitude of the black people on board?
2. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" aspire to become?
3. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" do with his manuscripts?
4. What indicates to Captain Delano that the strange ship may be in trouble?
5. To what did Captain Delano attribute the ship's being so long becalmed?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)