|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
(a) The table is old.
(b) The table is unusually beautiful.
(c) The table is Satanic-looking.
(d) The table is inscribed with signs and symbols.
2. What effect does the Marquis de Grandvin have on those around him?
(a) His presence is enriching.
(b) His presence is confusing.
(c) His presence is embarrassing.
(d) His presence is irritating.
3. Why had Jimmy Rose often been chosen to present awards?
(a) He was famous.
(b) He was handsome.
(c) He was a generous donor.
(d) He spoke well.
4. Where do "'Gees" come from?
5. What has Hautboy accomplished in "The Fiddler?"
(a) Hautboy has become rich.
(b) Hautboy has become famous.
(c) Hautboy has learned to be happy.
(d) Hautboy has developed great technical proficiency.
6. What does the narrator in "The Paradise of Bachelors" say has become of the Knights Templar?
(a) They've become lawyers.
(b) They've become warriors.
(c) They've become doctors.
(d) They've become schoolteachers.
7. To what did Captain Delano attribute Benito Cereno's ineffectiveness as captain?
(a) Cruelty, harshness, and unkindness.
(b) Foolhardy disregard for good advice.
(c) Youth, sickness, and gentility.
(d) Ignorance, pride, and stubbornness.
8. What does Benito Cereno say has happened to his partner, Alexandro Aranda?
(a) He died of fever.
(b) He fell overboard.
(c) He left the ship at the last port.
(d) He was murdered.
9. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" identify with his chimney?
(a) They are both tall and handsome.
(b) They are both an annoyance to the household.
(c) They are both obese old smokers.
(d) They are both. the center of attention.
10. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" do with his manuscripts?
(a) Reads them to strangers.
(b) Sends them to publishers.
(c) Pays to have them printed.
(d) Tears them up.
11. Why is the strange ship low on provisions?
(a) They have been under supplied.
(b) They have been becalmed.
(c) They have been lost.
(d) They have taken on additional passengers.
12. What had Hautboy lost in order to succeed?
13. What emblem does John Gentian wear on his left lapel?
(a) A Masonic symbol.
(b) An army medal.
(c) A golden circle.
(d) Gold eagle wings.
14. What does the narrator decide to give the apple-tree table when he first discovers it?
(a) Kind attention.
(b) A happier book.
(c) A warm environment.
(d) A place of honor.
15. What surprises Captain Delano when he first sees Benito Cereno's ship?
(a) The ship doesn't fly the flag of any nation.
(b) The ship is in ill repair.
(c) The ship is bound for an uninhabited island.
(d) The ship is giving a distress signal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it hard to see the mill when coming upon it?
2. Why had Jimmy Rose never married?
3. What does Melville hope to do for the Marquis de Grandvin?
4. Why does the narrator of "Jimmy Rose" refuse to change the wallpaper in his parlor?
5. What indicates to Captain Delano that the strange ship may be in trouble?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)