|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rumor pursues Daniel Orme into his life on shore?
(a) He was a buccaneer.
(b) He was a war hero.
(c) He was Frenchman.
(d) He was a thief.
2. What has Hautboy accomplished in "The Fiddler?"
(a) Hautboy has become famous.
(b) Hautboy has become rich.
(c) Hautboy has developed great technical proficiency.
(d) Hautboy has learned to be happy.
3. What overcomes Captain Delano's criticism of Benito Cereno?
4. What does John Gentian say are caused by stirring deeds?
(a) Stirring thoughts.
(b) Stirring songs.
(c) Stirring novels.
(d) Stirring rhymes.
5. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" decide never to leave home?
(a) His wife won't permit it.
(b) He is standing guard over the chimney.
(c) He is busy rebuilding the house.
(d) He is "sour and unsocial."
6. What was the disadvantage of building the piazza on the north side of the house?
(a) The north side faces the neighbors.
(b) The north side is coldest.
(c) The north side faces the village.
(d) The north side has the narrowest view.
7. What is unusual about the strange ship's figurehead?
(a) It is beautifully carved.
(b) It is covered in canvas wrapping.
(c) It is a plain, unmarked beak.
(d) It is obviously from Castile.
8. How does Captain Delano evaluate Benito Cereno's condition when he first meets him?
(a) Captain Delano perceives Benito Cereno to be physically and mentally disabled.
(b) Captain Delano evalutes Benito Cereno as dictatorial.
(c) Captain Delano evalutes Benito Cereno as cruel.
(d) Captain Delano evaluates Benito Cereno as weak and ineffectual.
9. What loss of John Gentian's is noticed most on May thirtieth?
(a) His empty sleeve.
(b) His missing ear.
(c) His limp.
(d) His blinded eye.
10. What effect does the Marquis de Grandvin have on those around him?
(a) His presence is confusing.
(b) His presence is enriching.
(c) His presence is irritating.
(d) His presence is embarrassing.
11. What causes Captain Delano to suspect Benito Cereno is an impostor?
(a) His weakness in command.
(b) His bad manners.
(c) His confusion.
(d) His ignorance of seamanship.
12. What caused the loss of Jimmy Rose's fortune?
(a) His overly generous dealings.
(c) Duplicitous dealings.
(d) The stock market crash.
13. Why is it hard to see the mill when coming upon it?
(a) The mill's entrance is disguised by branches.
(b) The mill is hidden in a cave.
(c) The whole landscape is white.
(d) The mill is painted to camouflage the entrance.
14. Who finally persuaded the narrator of "I and My Chimney" to knock a few feet off the chimney?
(a) His neighbor.
(b) His wife.
(c) His daughters.
(d) His mortgage holder
15. What habit of the bachelors in the Temple does the narrator wish to introduce in his own country?
(c) Mulled wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Piazza," how does the narrator's house look to the inhabitants of the mountain cottage?
2. Why is the strange ship low on provisions?
3. How did Captain Delano evaluate the relationship between Benito Cereno and Babo?
4. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" do with his manuscripts?
5. What sentence was chalked below the figurehead?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)