|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disease does Captain Delano learn has swept off much of the crew and cargo of slaves?
2. What is the attitude of the bachelors in the Temple toward pain and trouble?
(a) Pain and trouble are everywhere.
(b) Pain and trouble are for other people.
(c) Pain and trouble are nonexistent.
(d) Pain and trouble are unavoidable.
3. What rumor pursues Daniel Orme into his life on shore?
(a) He was Frenchman.
(b) He was a war hero.
(c) He was a thief.
(d) He was a buccaneer.
4. What sentence was chalked below the figurehead?
(a) "Follow your faith."
(b) "Never follow."
(c) "Follow your leader."
(d) "Follow orders."
5. What does Melville hope to do for the Marquis de Grandvin?
(a) Make him immortal.
(b) Make him famous.
(c) Make him happy.
(d) Make him rich.
6. What emblem does John Gentian refuse to wear?
(a) Any emblem of wealth.
(b) Any Revolutionary War emblem.
(c) Any American flag.
(d) Any Civil War emblem.
7. How does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" feel about the storm before the salesman arrives?
(a) He thinks the storm is "terrifying."
(b) He thinks the storm is "grand" and "glorious."
(c) He thinks the storm "thought-provoking."
(d) He thinks the storm is "radiant" and "beautiful."
8. What mythical character does the narrator say would have failed at his task if the chimney had then been in existence?
9. What impresses the narrator about the mill?
(a) The cheerfulness of the workers.
(b) The clean air and water.
(c) The gigantic press machine.
(d) The efficiency of the operation.
10. To what did Captain Delano attribute Benito Cereno's ineffectiveness as captain?
(a) Youth, sickness, and gentility.
(b) Ignorance, pride, and stubbornness.
(c) Foolhardy disregard for good advice.
(d) Cruelty, harshness, and unkindness.
11. What sort of feet did the apple-tree table have?
(a) Hooves like Satan.
(b) Carved mahogany.
(c) Brass fittings.
(d) Marble balls.
12. What loss of John Gentian's is noticed most on May thirtieth?
(a) His limp.
(b) His empty sleeve.
(c) His missing ear.
(d) His blinded eye.
13. What habit of the bachelors in the Temple does the narrator wish to introduce in his own country?
(c) Mulled wine.
14. Why does the narrator of "The Piazza" feel that the house must have a piazza?
(a) All the neighbors have piazzas.
(b) A piazza would increase the home's value.
(c) Piazzas are in fashion.
(d) The house has a spectacular view.
15. What was the disadvantage of building the piazza on the north side of the house?
(a) The north side has the narrowest view.
(b) The north side is coldest.
(c) The north side faces the neighbors.
(d) The north side faces the village.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Atufal?
2. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" aspire to become?
3. Why is it hard to see the mill when coming upon it?
4. How was John Marr wounded?
5. What does the narrator decide to give the apple-tree table when he first discovers it?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)