|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What overcomes Captain Delano's criticism of Benito Cereno?
2. How does Captain Delano evaluate Benito Cereno's condition when he first meets him?
(a) Captain Delano evalutes Benito Cereno as dictatorial.
(b) Captain Delano evaluates Benito Cereno as weak and ineffectual.
(c) Captain Delano evalutes Benito Cereno as cruel.
(d) Captain Delano perceives Benito Cereno to be physically and mentally disabled.
3. What is the attitude of the bachelors in the Temple toward pain and trouble?
(a) Pain and trouble are for other people.
(b) Pain and trouble are nonexistent.
(c) Pain and trouble are everywhere.
(d) Pain and trouble are unavoidable.
4. What surprises Captain Delano when he first sees Benito Cereno's ship?
(a) The ship is giving a distress signal.
(b) The ship doesn't fly the flag of any nation.
(c) The ship is bound for an uninhabited island.
(d) The ship is in ill repair.
5. In "I and My Chimney," what is the narrator's wife's maxim?
(a) Whatever is, is right.
(b) Whatever is, is wrong and must be altered.
(c) Whatever is not, is not.
6. What impresses the narrator about the mill?
(a) The clean air and water.
(b) The cheerfulness of the workers.
(c) The gigantic press machine.
(d) The efficiency of the operation.
7. Why is it hard to see the mill when coming upon it?
(a) The mill is painted to camouflage the entrance.
(b) The mill is hidden in a cave.
(c) The mill's entrance is disguised by branches.
(d) The whole landscape is white.
8. How do the bachelors in the Temple keep time?
(a) By the wine they drank.
(b) By their reminiscences.
(c) By the courses of the meal.
(d) By the jokes they told.
9. What first attracts the narrator of "The Piazza" to a building far in the mountains?
(a) It's exactly ninety degrees ahead of his piazza.
(b) A river runs through it.
(c) The windows shine like gold.
(d) A rainbow ends there.
10. Why was Bannadonna excused for the homicide he committed?
(a) It was accidental.
(b) It was done in self-defense.
(c) It was caused by esthetic passion.
(d) It was justifiable.
11. How does the narrator of "The Piazza" travel to the spot in the mountains that he wants to see?
(a) On foot.
(b) In a carriage.
(c) On horseback.
(d) In a yawl.
12. What did Jimmy Rose have to offer the rich after he lost his fortune?
13. What is unusual about the strange ship's figurehead?
(a) It is beautifully carved.
(b) It is obviously from Castile.
(c) It is a plain, unmarked beak.
(d) It is covered in canvas wrapping.
14. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" do with his manuscripts?
(a) Tears them up.
(b) Pays to have them printed.
(c) Reads them to strangers.
(d) Sends them to publishers.
15. To what did Captain Delano attribute Benito Cereno's ineffectiveness as captain?
(a) Cruelty, harshness, and unkindness.
(b) Youth, sickness, and gentility.
(c) Ignorance, pride, and stubbornness.
(d) Foolhardy disregard for good advice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do "'Gees" come from?
2. How does the narrator of "The Apple-Tree Table" feel as his wife and daughters become more frightened?
3. Who wrote the book lying on the apple-tree table?
4. What emblem does John Gentian wear on his left lapel?
5. What has Hautboy accomplished in "The Fiddler?"
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)