|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose cause does the Marquis de Grandvin champion?
(a) The French.
(c) Freedom fighters.
2. What had Hautboy lost in order to succeed?
3. Why does John Gentian take "liberties with etiquette"?
(a) He is unlearned.
(b) He is concerned with larger issues.
(c) He is straightforward and impulsive.
(d) He is rude and thoughtless.
4. What does the narrator's wife think of his apprehension about the apple-tree table?
(a) She thinks he is making it up.
(b) She thinks he is crazy.
(c) She thinks he is drunk.
(d) She thinks he is trying to frighten her.
5. What is the temperature at the mill?
(c) Oppressively hot.
6. What rumor pursues Daniel Orme into his life on shore?
(a) He was Frenchman.
(b) He was a thief.
(c) He was a buccaneer.
(d) He was a war hero.
7. How does the narrator of "The Apple-Tree Table" feel as his wife and daughters become more frightened?
(a) He feels worse.
(b) He feels braver.
(c) He feels numb.
(d) He feels more frightened than they.
8. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" aspire to become?
9. What emblem does John Gentian wear on his left lapel?
(a) A Masonic symbol.
(b) An army medal.
(c) Gold eagle wings.
(d) A golden circle.
10. Why does the narrator of "Jimmy Rose" refuse to change the wallpaper in his parlor?
(a) It reminds him or a rose garden.
(b) It reminds him of Jimmy Rose.
(c) It reminds him of better days.
(d) It reminds him of his childhood.
11. Who lives in the cottage that the narrator of "The Piazza" finds in the mountains?
(a) A newlywed husband and wife.
(b) An orphaned brother and sister.
(c) No one.
(d) A lonely widow.
12. What does the narrator decide to give the apple-tree table when he first discovers it?
(a) Kind attention.
(b) A place of honor.
(c) A happier book.
(d) A warm environment.
13. What caused the loss of Jimmy Rose's fortune?
(a) His overly generous dealings.
(b) Duplicitous dealings.
(c) The stock market crash.
14. What does the narrator in "The Paradise of Bachelors" say has become of the Knights Templar?
(a) They've become lawyers.
(b) They've become schoolteachers.
(c) They've become doctors.
(d) They've become warriors.
15. What sentence was chalked below the figurehead?
(a) "Follow your leader."
(b) "Follow orders."
(c) "Never follow."
(d) "Follow your faith."
Short Answer Questions
1. What indicates to Captain Delano that the strange ship may be in trouble?
2. Who wrote the book lying on the apple-tree table?
3. What does Benito Cereno say has happened to his partner, Alexandro Aranda?
4. How did Captain Delano evaluate the relationship between Benito Cereno and Babo?
5. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)