|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Hautboy accomplished in "The Fiddler?"
(a) Hautboy has become famous.
(b) Hautboy has become rich.
(c) Hautboy has developed great technical proficiency.
(d) Hautboy has learned to be happy.
2. What emblem does John Gentian wear on his left lapel?
(a) A golden circle.
(b) Gold eagle wings.
(c) A Masonic symbol.
(d) An army medal.
3. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
(a) The table is Satanic-looking.
(b) The table is inscribed with signs and symbols.
(c) The table is unusually beautiful.
(d) The table is old.
4. What first attracts the narrator of "The Piazza" to a building far in the mountains?
(a) A rainbow ends there.
(b) It's exactly ninety degrees ahead of his piazza.
(c) A river runs through it.
(d) The windows shine like gold.
5. What does the narrator's wife think of his apprehension about the apple-tree table?
(a) She thinks he is crazy.
(b) She thinks he is trying to frighten her.
(c) She thinks he is making it up.
(d) She thinks he is drunk.
6. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" identify with his chimney?
(a) They are both an annoyance to the household.
(b) They are both obese old smokers.
(c) They are both. the center of attention.
(d) They are both tall and handsome.
7. What does John Gentian say are caused by stirring deeds?
(a) Stirring thoughts.
(b) Stirring songs.
(c) Stirring novels.
(d) Stirring rhymes.
8. What effect does the Marquis de Grandvin have on those around him?
(a) His presence is embarrassing.
(b) His presence is enriching.
(c) His presence is irritating.
(d) His presence is confusing.
9. Why had Jimmy Rose never married?
(a) He didn't like women.
(b) He loved all women equally.
(c) He ws unattractive.
(d) He was too shy.
10. What sort of feet did the apple-tree table have?
(a) Brass fittings.
(b) Marble balls.
(c) Carved mahogany.
(d) Hooves like Satan.
11. What indicates to Captain Delano that the strange ship may be in trouble?
(a) The ship seems uncertain of its direction.
(b) The ship is giving a distress signal.
(c) The ship flies no flag.
(d) The ship is bound for an uninhabited island.
12. How did Captain Delano evaluate the relationship between Benito Cereno and Babo?
(a) A distressing lack of respect.
(b) A shocking breach of convention.
(c) An enviable spectacle of fidelity.
(d) A frightening scene of dependency.
13. What habit of the bachelors in the Temple does the narrator wish to introduce in his own country?
(c) Mulled wine.
14. Why does the lightning rod salesman claim that his rods are superior?
(a) They're made of steel.
(b) They're made of magnesium.
(c) They're made of iron.
(d) They're made of copper.
15. How does Captain Delano evaluate Benito Cereno's condition when he first meets him?
(a) Captain Delano evaluates Benito Cereno as weak and ineffectual.
(b) Captain Delano evalutes Benito Cereno as cruel.
(c) Captain Delano perceives Benito Cereno to be physically and mentally disabled.
(d) Captain Delano evalutes Benito Cereno as dictatorial.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why had Jimmy Rose often been chosen to present awards?
2. What sentence was chalked below the figurehead?
3. What disease does Captain Delano learn has swept off much of the crew and cargo of slaves?
4. What is the attitude of the bachelors in the Temple toward pain and trouble?
5. How does Melville describe Captain Delano's personality?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)