|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" identify with his chimney?
(a) They are both an annoyance to the household.
(b) They are both tall and handsome.
(c) They are both obese old smokers.
(d) They are both. the center of attention.
2. What do the maids work to produce?
3. How does the lightning rod salesman feel about thunderstorms?
(a) He is assured of his own safety.
(b) He is relaxed and unafraid.
(c) He is confident.
(d) He is terrified.
4. What mythical character does the narrator say would have failed at his task if the chimney had then been in existence?
5. To what did Captain Delano attribute the ship's being so long becalmed?
(a) Bad luck.
(c) Poor seamanship.
(d) Unusual weather.
6. Why is it hard to see the mill when coming upon it?
(a) The whole landscape is white.
(b) The mill's entrance is disguised by branches.
(c) The mill is painted to camouflage the entrance.
(d) The mill is hidden in a cave.
7. Why does the narrator of "The Piazza" believe the soil is richer around the cottage that he finds?
(a) The owners have planted there.
(b) There is a sense of blessedness there.
(c) There is more sunlight there.
(d) The garden is obviously well-fed there.
8. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" aspire to become?
9. What emblem does John Gentian wear on his left lapel?
(a) A golden circle.
(b) Gold eagle wings.
(c) A Masonic symbol.
(d) An army medal.
10. Why does the lightning rod salesman claim that his rods are superior?
(a) They're made of steel.
(b) They're made of magnesium.
(c) They're made of iron.
(d) They're made of copper.
11. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
(a) The table is old.
(b) The table is inscribed with signs and symbols.
(c) The table is Satanic-looking.
(d) The table is unusually beautiful.
12. What does Benito Cereno say has happened to his partner, Alexandro Aranda?
(a) He was murdered.
(b) He fell overboard.
(c) He left the ship at the last port.
(d) He died of fever.
13. What is unusual about the strange ship's figurehead?
(a) It is beautifully carved.
(b) It is a plain, unmarked beak.
(c) It is covered in canvas wrapping.
(d) It is obviously from Castile.
14. What sentence was chalked below the figurehead?
(a) "Follow your leader."
(b) "Follow orders."
(c) "Never follow."
(d) "Follow your faith."
15. What god does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" think the salesman resembles?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Captain Delano evaluate Benito Cereno's condition when he first meets him?
2. What is the attitude of the bachelors in the Temple toward pain and trouble?
3. How does the narrator of "The Apple-Tree Table" feel as his wife and daughters become more frightened?
4. What does the narrator in "The Paradise of Bachelors" say has become of the Knights Templar?
5. What disease does Captain Delano learn has swept off much of the crew and cargo of slaves?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)