|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What first attracts the narrator of "The Piazza" to a building far in the mountains?
(a) It's exactly ninety degrees ahead of his piazza.
(b) The windows shine like gold.
(c) A river runs through it.
(d) A rainbow ends there.
2. What does Benito Cereno say has happened to his partner, Alexandro Aranda?
(a) He left the ship at the last port.
(b) He died of fever.
(c) He was murdered.
(d) He fell overboard.
3. How does the narrator of "The Apple-Tree Table" feel as his wife and daughters become more frightened?
(a) He feels braver.
(b) He feels more frightened than they.
(c) He feels numb.
(d) He feels worse.
4. What rumor pursues Daniel Orme into his life on shore?
(a) He was a war hero.
(b) He was Frenchman.
(c) He was a thief.
(d) He was a buccaneer.
5. How does Captain Delano evaluate Benito Cereno's condition when he first meets him?
(a) Captain Delano evalutes Benito Cereno as dictatorial.
(b) Captain Delano evalutes Benito Cereno as cruel.
(c) Captain Delano evaluates Benito Cereno as weak and ineffectual.
(d) Captain Delano perceives Benito Cereno to be physically and mentally disabled.
6. Who finally persuaded the narrator of "I and My Chimney" to knock a few feet off the chimney?
(a) His mortgage holder
(b) His wife.
(c) His daughters.
(d) His neighbor.
7. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
(a) The table is unusually beautiful.
(b) The table is Satanic-looking.
(c) The table is old.
(d) The table is inscribed with signs and symbols.
8. What caused the bell-ringing automaton to kill Bannadonna?
(a) An unrepaired defect.
(b) A manufacturing error.
(c) A design flaw.
9. Whose cause does the Marquis de Grandvin champion?
(a) Freedom fighters.
(d) The French.
10. What caused the loss of Jimmy Rose's fortune?
(a) His overly generous dealings.
(c) Duplicitous dealings.
(d) The stock market crash.
11. What overcomes Captain Delano's criticism of Benito Cereno?
12. How does the narrator of "The Piazza" travel to the spot in the mountains that he wants to see?
(a) In a yawl.
(b) In a carriage.
(c) On foot.
(d) On horseback.
13. What is unusual about the strange ship's figurehead?
(a) It is covered in canvas wrapping.
(b) It is obviously from Castile.
(c) It is beautifully carved.
(d) It is a plain, unmarked beak.
14. In "I and My Chimney," what is the narrator's wife's maxim?
(b) Whatever is not, is not.
(c) Whatever is, is wrong and must be altered.
(d) Whatever is, is right.
15. What impresses the narrator about the mill?
(a) The efficiency of the operation.
(b) The gigantic press machine.
(c) The cheerfulness of the workers.
(d) The clean air and water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Atufal?
2. What sort of feet did the apple-tree table have?
3. What was the disadvantage of building the piazza on the north side of the house?
4. Why does the narrator of "Jimmy Rose" refuse to change the wallpaper in his parlor?
5. What is the attitude of the bachelors in the Temple toward pain and trouble?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)