|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Captain Delano evaluate Babo when he first meets him?
(a) Captain Delano evaluates Babo as uncomfortably familiar.
(b) Captain Delano evalutes Babo as a devoted companion.
(c) Captain Delano evaluates Babo as woefully ignorant.
(d) Captain Delano evalutes Babo as vaguely threatening.
2. What impresses the narrator about the mill?
(a) The clean air and water.
(b) The efficiency of the operation.
(c) The cheerfulness of the workers.
(d) The gigantic press machine.
3. How does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" feel about the storm before the salesman arrives?
(a) He thinks the storm is "grand" and "glorious."
(b) He thinks the storm is "radiant" and "beautiful."
(c) He thinks the storm is "terrifying."
(d) He thinks the storm "thought-provoking."
4. What emblem does John Gentian wear on his left lapel?
(a) A Masonic symbol.
(b) An army medal.
(c) A golden circle.
(d) Gold eagle wings.
5. What sentence was chalked below the figurehead?
(a) "Follow your faith."
(b) "Follow your leader."
(c) "Never follow."
(d) "Follow orders."
6. What does John Gentian say are caused by stirring deeds?
(a) Stirring novels.
(b) Stirring songs.
(c) Stirring rhymes.
(d) Stirring thoughts.
7. What mythical character does the narrator say would have failed at his task if the chimney had then been in existence?
8. Why had Jimmy Rose often been chosen to present awards?
(a) He spoke well.
(b) He was famous.
(c) He was handsome.
(d) He was a generous donor.
9. What habit of the bachelors in the Temple does the narrator wish to introduce in his own country?
(d) Mulled wine.
10. How do the bachelors in the Temple keep time?
(a) By their reminiscences.
(b) By the jokes they told.
(c) By the wine they drank.
(d) By the courses of the meal.
11. What caused the loss of Jimmy Rose's fortune?
(a) The stock market crash.
(b) Duplicitous dealings.
(c) His overly generous dealings.
12. How does Captain Delano evaluate Benito Cereno's condition when he first meets him?
(a) Captain Delano evalutes Benito Cereno as cruel.
(b) Captain Delano evalutes Benito Cereno as dictatorial.
(c) Captain Delano perceives Benito Cereno to be physically and mentally disabled.
(d) Captain Delano evaluates Benito Cereno as weak and ineffectual.
13. What does the narrator decide to give the apple-tree table when he first discovers it?
(a) A warm environment.
(b) A place of honor.
(c) A happier book.
(d) Kind attention.
14. What surprises Captain Delano when he first sees Benito Cereno's ship?
(a) The ship doesn't fly the flag of any nation.
(b) The ship is bound for an uninhabited island.
(c) The ship is in ill repair.
(d) The ship is giving a distress signal.
15. Why was Bannadonna excused for the homicide he committed?
(a) It was accidental.
(b) It was justifiable.
(c) It was caused by esthetic passion.
(d) It was done in self-defense.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the book lying on the apple-tree table?
2. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" decide never to leave home?
3. What loss of John Gentian's is noticed most on May thirtieth?
4. What overcomes Captain Delano's criticism of Benito Cereno?
5. Who finally persuaded the narrator of "I and My Chimney" to knock a few feet off the chimney?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)