|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was John Marr wounded?
(a) Fighting in the War of 1812.
(b) Fighting with pirates.
(d) Falling from a ship's rigging.
2. What is unusual about the strange ship's figurehead?
(a) It is covered in canvas wrapping.
(b) It is a plain, unmarked beak.
(c) It is beautifully carved.
(d) It is obviously from Castile.
3. How does the lightning rod salesman feel about thunderstorms?
(a) He is confident.
(b) He is relaxed and unafraid.
(c) He is assured of his own safety.
(d) He is terrified.
4. Whose cause does the Marquis de Grandvin champion?
(b) Freedom fighters.
(d) The French.
5. What is the attitude of the bachelors in the Temple toward pain and trouble?
(a) Pain and trouble are unavoidable.
(b) Pain and trouble are everywhere.
(c) Pain and trouble are nonexistent.
(d) Pain and trouble are for other people.
6. How does Captain Delano evaluate Babo when he first meets him?
(a) Captain Delano evaluates Babo as woefully ignorant.
(b) Captain Delano evalutes Babo as vaguely threatening.
(c) Captain Delano evalutes Babo as a devoted companion.
(d) Captain Delano evaluates Babo as uncomfortably familiar.
7. What does the narrator decide to give the apple-tree table when he first discovers it?
(a) A happier book.
(b) A place of honor.
(c) Kind attention.
(d) A warm environment.
8. Who wrote the book lying on the apple-tree table?
(a) Cotton Mather.
9. What loss of John Gentian's is noticed most on May thirtieth?
(a) His limp.
(b) His empty sleeve.
(c) His blinded eye.
(d) His missing ear.
10. What disease does Captain Delano learn has swept off much of the crew and cargo of slaves?
11. What had Hautboy lost in order to succeed?
12. What first attracts the narrator of "The Piazza" to a building far in the mountains?
(a) A river runs through it.
(b) The windows shine like gold.
(c) A rainbow ends there.
(d) It's exactly ninety degrees ahead of his piazza.
13. What first alarms the narrator about the apple-tree table?
(a) A sense of pervading evil.
(b) A steady drip.
(c) A mysterious odor.
(d) A ticking sound.
14. Why is it hard to see the mill when coming upon it?
(a) The mill is hidden in a cave.
(b) The whole landscape is white.
(c) The mill is painted to camouflage the entrance.
(d) The mill's entrance is disguised by branches.
15. Why had Jimmy Rose often been chosen to present awards?
(a) He was handsome.
(b) He spoke well.
(c) He was a generous donor.
(d) He was famous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" do with his manuscripts?
2. What causes Captain Delano to suspect Benito Cereno is an impostor?
3. Why is Captain Delano glad he was not astute enough to recognize the mutiny?
4. Why does the narrator of "The Piazza" feel that the house must have a piazza?
5. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" identify with his chimney?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)