|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the maids work to produce?
2. How does Captain Delano view the attitude of the black people on board?
(a) The black people seem to Captain Delano to be cringing and fearful.
(b) The black people seem to Captain Delano to be cheerful and content.
(c) The black people seem to Captain Delano to be insubordinate.
(d) The black people seem to Captain Delano to be competent and well-trained.
3. What loss of John Gentian's is noticed most on May thirtieth?
(a) His blinded eye.
(b) His limp.
(c) His missing ear.
(d) His empty sleeve.
4. What was the disadvantage of building the piazza on the north side of the house?
(a) The north side faces the neighbors.
(b) The north side has the narrowest view.
(c) The north side faces the village.
(d) The north side is coldest.
5. Why had Jimmy Rose often been chosen to present awards?
(a) He spoke well.
(b) He was a generous donor.
(c) He was famous.
(d) He was handsome.
6. What emblem does John Gentian refuse to wear?
(a) Any Revolutionary War emblem.
(b) Any American flag.
(c) Any Civil War emblem.
(d) Any emblem of wealth.
7. What caused the bell-ringing automaton to kill Bannadonna?
(a) An unrepaired defect.
(b) A manufacturing error.
(d) A design flaw.
8. What habit of the bachelors in the Temple does the narrator wish to introduce in his own country?
(b) Mulled wine.
9. Who finally persuaded the narrator of "I and My Chimney" to knock a few feet off the chimney?
(a) His mortgage holder
(b) His neighbor.
(c) His daughters.
(d) His wife.
10. How does the narrator of "The Piazza" travel to the spot in the mountains that he wants to see?
(a) On foot.
(b) In a yawl.
(c) On horseback.
(d) In a carriage.
11. To what did Captain Delano attribute the ship's being so long becalmed?
(a) Bad luck.
(b) Unusual weather.
(c) Poor seamanship.
12. Whose cause does the Marquis de Grandvin champion?
(b) The French.
(d) Freedom fighters.
13. How does Captain Delano evaluate Babo when he first meets him?
(a) Captain Delano evalutes Babo as a devoted companion.
(b) Captain Delano evaluates Babo as woefully ignorant.
(c) Captain Delano evalutes Babo as vaguely threatening.
(d) Captain Delano evaluates Babo as uncomfortably familiar.
14. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" aspire to become?
15. How does the narrator of "The Apple-Tree Table" feel as his wife and daughters become more frightened?
(a) He feels more frightened than they.
(b) He feels worse.
(c) He feels numb.
(d) He feels braver.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what did Captain Delano attribute Benito Cereno's ineffectiveness as captain?
2. In "I and My Chimney," what is the narrator's wife's maxim?
3. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
4. What emblem does John Gentian wear on his left lapel?
5. Who lives in the cottage that the narrator of "The Piazza" finds in the mountains?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)