|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why had Jimmy Rose often been chosen to present awards?
(a) He was famous.
(b) He was a generous donor.
(c) He was handsome.
(d) He spoke well.
2. How was John Marr wounded?
(b) Falling from a ship's rigging.
(c) Fighting in the War of 1812.
(d) Fighting with pirates.
3. Where do "'Gees" come from?
4. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" aspire to become?
5. Why does the narrator of "The Piazza" feel that the house must have a piazza?
(a) All the neighbors have piazzas.
(b) A piazza would increase the home's value.
(c) Piazzas are in fashion.
(d) The house has a spectacular view.
6. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" identify with his chimney?
(a) They are both obese old smokers.
(b) They are both tall and handsome.
(c) They are both. the center of attention.
(d) They are both an annoyance to the household.
7. What overcomes Captain Delano's criticism of Benito Cereno?
8. What does the narrator's wife think of his apprehension about the apple-tree table?
(a) She thinks he is drunk.
(b) She thinks he is trying to frighten her.
(c) She thinks he is making it up.
(d) She thinks he is crazy.
9. How do the bachelors in the Temple keep time?
(a) By the jokes they told.
(b) By their reminiscences.
(c) By the wine they drank.
(d) By the courses of the meal.
10. What had Hautboy lost in order to succeed?
11. Who is Atufal?
(a) A leader of the slaves.
(b) A chained slave.
(c) A complaining woman among the slaves.
(d) Babo's best friend.
12. What is the temperature at the mill?
(b) Oppressively hot.
13. Who wrote the book lying on the apple-tree table?
(b) Cotton Mather.
14. What mythical character does the narrator say would have failed at his task if the chimney had then been in existence?
15. To what did Captain Delano attribute Benito Cereno's ineffectiveness as captain?
(a) Ignorance, pride, and stubbornness.
(b) Foolhardy disregard for good advice.
(c) Youth, sickness, and gentility.
(d) Cruelty, harshness, and unkindness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "Jimmy Rose" refuse to change the wallpaper in his parlor?
2. Who lives in the cottage that the narrator of "The Piazza" finds in the mountains?
3. What effect does the Marquis de Grandvin have on those around him?
4. What emblem does John Gentian refuse to wear?
5. How does Captain Delano evaluate Benito Cereno's condition when he first meets him?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)