|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
(a) Chicken, Rooster, and Cluck.
(b) Chompers, Grumpy, and Short Stuff.
(c) Turkey, Nippers, and Ginger Nut.
(d) Grandpa, Grumpy, and The Kid.
2. What age is the narrator of Bartleby?
(a) In his forties.
(b) In his thirties.
(c) In his sixties.
(d) In his fifties.
3. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
(a) The bat.
(b) The cormorant.
(c) The penguin.
(d) The walrus.
4. What does Melville say is the most populous species on the island of Albermarle?
5. What does Melville believe the charities of London do for the poor?
(a) The charities of London strengthen the poor.
(b) The charities of London madden the poor.
(c) The charities of London embolden the poor.
(d) The charities of London soften the poor.
6. Why does the Town-Ho's captain have to put the ship into port?
(a) It has run out of supplies.
(b) Its crewmen are ill with scurvy.
(c) There has been a mutiny on board.
(d) It has sprung a leak.
7. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
(a) Master of Chancery.
(c) Justice of the Peace.
(d) County Coroner.
8. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
(a) Ginger nuts.
(c) Pine nuts.
9. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
(a) Digs in his heels.
(b) Acquiesces out of courtesy.
(c) Doubts the other person.
(d) Questions his own mind.
10. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
(d) Tax accountant.
11. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
(a) His neighbor.
(b) His wife.
(c) His banker.
(d) His creditor.
12. What is the narrator's condition when he goes to the theater in London?
(a) He is broke and alone.
(b) He is bored and overfed.
(c) He is comfortable and among friends.
(d) He is well-fed and relaxed.
13. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) Fascination and charm.
(b) Beauty and peace.
(c) Solitude and desolation.
(d) Silence and serenity.
14. What famous person expressed a good opinion of the narrator of Bartleby?
(a) John Jacob Astor.
(b) Theodore Roosevelt.
(c) Andrew Carnegie.
(d) John D. Rockefeller.
15. Why doesn't the narrator dismiss Bartleby for insubordination?
(a) Bartleby is obviously emotionally upset.
(b) Bartleby is distressed.
(c) Bartleby is calm, showing no emotion.
(d) Bartleby promises to improve.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
2. Who are Pedro and Sebastian in The Town-Ho's Story?
3. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
4. What prevents Steelkilt from taking revenge on Radney?
5. What did the failure of his invention do for the uncle in "The Happy Failure?"
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)