|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" about the owner of the rooster?
(a) He has a large family.
(b) He is old.
(c) He has many such roosters.
(d) He is poor.
2. How does Steelkilt respond to Radney's request that he sweep the deck?
(a) He quietly refuses.
(b) He complains loudly.
(c) He meekly obeys.
(d) He loudly refuses.
3. How does the narrator get into the London theater presentation?
(a) He pawns his overcoat to buy a ticket.
(b) He finds a ticket on the sidewalk.
(c) A stranger gives him a ticket.
(d) He sneaks in a side door.
4. What quality of Bartleby's induces the narrator to hire him?
(a) Bartleby is friendly.
(b) Bartleby is energetic.
(c) Bartleby is efficient.
(d) Bartleby is sedate.
5. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
(a) The approval of his peers.
(b) The approval of his employees.
(d) Bartleby's friendship.
6. Where do both the captain and Steelkilt go after they separate?
7. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) Beauty and peace.
(b) Silence and serenity.
(c) Fascination and charm.
(d) Solitude and desolation.
8. What does the crew decide to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
(a) Desert together.
(b) Obey the captain.
(c) Start a mutiny.
(d) Murder Radney.
9. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view locomotives and steamships?
(a) As harbingers of a bright future.
(b) As uniters of families.
(c) As symbols of human ingenuity.
(d) As instruments of destruction.
10. How is the narrator punished for sneaking into the church?
(a) He is imprisoned.
(b) He is warned and set free.
(c) He is publicly embarrassed, but pardoned.
(d) He is jailed overnight and fined.
11. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
(a) Legal research.
(d) Errand boy.
12. What is Poor Man's Pudding?
(a) Water, salt, and flour.
(b) Rice, milk, and salt.
(c) Milk, eggs, and sugar.
(d) Flour, sugar, cinnamon, and milk.
13. Of what does the onstage action in the London theater remind the narrator?
(a) The curmudgeonly landlady at his boarding house.
(b) The church service he had watched from the bell tower.
(c) The theater at home on Broadway.
(d) His own childhood.
14. What happens to the rooster when the Merrymusk family dies?
(a) The rooster crows on the graves.
(b) The rooster is sold for five hundred dollars.
(c) The rooster dies too.
(d) The rooster goes home with the narrator.
15. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
(a) A monarchy.
(b) A theocracy.
(c) A riotocracy.
(d) A democracy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" invented?
2. How does Merrymusk convince the narrator that he is a rich man?
3. What do Steelkilt and his men demand in return for obeying orders?
4. What does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe the rooster's crow is saying?
5. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)