|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
(b) Tax accountant.
2. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
(a) A democracy.
(b) A theocracy.
(c) A riotocracy.
(d) A monarchy.
3. What does the narrator's middle-aged employee offer to do for Bartleby?
(a) Teach him better work habits.
(b) Fire him.
(c) Black his eyes.
(d) Teach him manners.
4. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
(a) Sea life is "quietly Christian."
(b) Sea life is "reckless and barbaric."
(c) Sea life is "daring and brave."
(d) Sea life is "calm and pure."
5. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
(a) He pays him promptly.
(b) He offers to double his payment.
(c) He throws him out.
(d) He apologizes.
6. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
(a) Bartleby's friendship.
(b) The approval of his peers.
(d) The approval of his employees.
7. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
(c) Pine nuts.
(d) Ginger nuts.
8. What does the arrangement of the office allow Bartleby to do with the narrator?
(a) Neither see him nor hear him.
(b) See him but not hear him.
(c) Both see and hear him.
(d) Hear him but not see him.
9. What surprises the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" about the owner of the rooster?
(a) He has many such roosters.
(b) He has a large family.
(c) He is old.
(d) He is poor.
10. What happens to the rooster when the Merrymusk family dies?
(a) The rooster is sold for five hundred dollars.
(b) The rooster dies too.
(c) The rooster goes home with the narrator.
(d) The rooster crows on the graves.
11. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view the world?
(a) Full of casualties, despotism, and knocks on the head.
(b) Full of dangers, snares, and delusions.
(c) Full of sunshine, flowers, and rainbows.
(d) Full of puzzles, traps, and confusion.
12. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
(a) Copy a comparison of an original.
(b) Originate a copy.
(c) Compare a copy with its original.
(d) Go for coffee.
13. What does Melville say is the most populous species on the island of Albermarle?
14. What does a scrivener do?
(a) Makes copies of legal documents.
(b) Records testimony in court.
(c) Researches legal precedents.
(d) Organizes court records.
15. What famous person expressed a good opinion of the narrator of Bartleby?
(a) John D. Rockefeller.
(b) Andrew Carnegie.
(c) Theodore Roosevelt.
(d) John Jacob Astor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
2. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
3. How does Merrymusk convince the narrator that he is a rich man?
4. What does Blandmour believe God does for the poor?
5. What do the Peruvian listeners force the storyteller to do to prove his story is true?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)