|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a scrivener do?
(a) Makes copies of legal documents.
(b) Researches legal precedents.
(c) Organizes court records.
(d) Records testimony in court.
2. What good qualities does Bartleby have as an employee?
(a) He is enthusiastic and energetic.
(b) He is hard-working and honest.
(c) He is amiable and friendly.
(d) He is eager to help.
3. Why does Radney dislike Steelkilt?
(a) Steelkilt is insubordinate.
(b) Steelkilt is handsome.
(c) Steelkilt is unfriendly.
(d) Steelkilt is rude.
4. What prevents Steelkilt from taking revenge on Radney?
(a) Steelkilt has a change of heart.
(b) The captain orders Radney executed.
(c) Moby Dick kills Radney.
(d) Radney apologizes.
5. Where does the narrator in The Town-Ho's story tell his tale?
(a) On the deck of the Pequod.
(b) On the deck of the Town-Ho.
(c) The Cape of Good Hope.
(d) Lima, Peru.
6. What did buccaneers leave on the islands that Melville claims is proof of their better traits?
(a) Planted orchards.
(b) Carved stone furniture.
(c) Planted gardens.
(d) Buried treasure.
7. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
8. What has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" invented?
(a) A device for draining swamps.
(b) A device for purifying water.
(c) A device for building dams.
(d) A device for diverting rivers.
9. What is unusual about the pork at the Coulters' dinner table?
(a) It is only hides.
(b) It is last year's.
(c) It is not really pork.
(d) It is only fat and gristle.
10. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view the world?
(a) Full of casualties, despotism, and knocks on the head.
(b) Full of puzzles, traps, and confusion.
(c) Full of sunshine, flowers, and rainbows.
(d) Full of dangers, snares, and delusions.
11. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
(a) The rooster reminds him of a character in a book.
(b) The rooster reminds him of his neighbor.
(c) The rooster reminds him of a character in a play.
(d) The rooster reminds him of a song.
12. What does Melville believe the charities of London do for the poor?
(a) The charities of London strengthen the poor.
(b) The charities of London madden the poor.
(c) The charities of London embolden the poor.
(d) The charities of London soften the poor.
13. What happens to the rooster when the Merrymusk family dies?
(a) The rooster is sold for five hundred dollars.
(b) The rooster crows on the graves.
(c) The rooster dies too.
(d) The rooster goes home with the narrator.
14. What does Steelkilt threaten to do if he is flogged by the captain?
(a) Seek an unnamed revenge.
(b) Jump overboard.
(c) Tell the admiralty board of review.
(d) Murder the captain.
15. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
(a) Tax accountant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Coulter come home for lunch?
2. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
3. How does Bartleby respond to the other employees?
4. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
5. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)