|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Steelkilt threaten to do if he is flogged by the captain?
(a) Tell the admiralty board of review.
(b) Murder the captain.
(c) Seek an unnamed revenge.
(d) Jump overboard.
2. Why does the Town-Ho's captain have to put the ship into port?
(a) There has been a mutiny on board.
(b) It has sprung a leak.
(c) Its crewmen are ill with scurvy.
(d) It has run out of supplies.
3. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
(a) Doubts the other person.
(b) Acquiesces out of courtesy.
(c) Questions his own mind.
(d) Digs in his heels.
4. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) Silence and serenity.
(b) Beauty and peace.
(c) Solitude and desolation.
(d) Fascination and charm.
5. Who are Pedro and Sebastian in The Town-Ho's Story?
(a) Friends of the narrator.
(b) Sailors on the Pequod.
(d) Sailors on the Town-Ho.
6. What did a strange boy give the narrator in the theater?
(a) A cake of barley.
(b) An unexpected smile.
(c) A cup of ale.
(d) A cup of coffee.
7. What is unusual about the pork at the Coulters' dinner table?
(a) It is only hides.
(b) It is last year's.
(c) It is only fat and gristle.
(d) It is not really pork.
8. What does a scrivener do?
(a) Records testimony in court.
(b) Makes copies of legal documents.
(c) Researches legal precedents.
(d) Organizes court records.
9. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
(a) Chicken, Rooster, and Cluck.
(b) Chompers, Grumpy, and Short Stuff.
(c) Grandpa, Grumpy, and The Kid.
(d) Turkey, Nippers, and Ginger Nut.
10. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
(a) He offers to double his payment.
(b) He throws him out.
(c) He pays him promptly.
(d) He apologizes.
11. What animal from the islands supplies sailors with food and utensils?
(a) The tortoise.
(b) The seal.
(c) The iguana.
(d) The albatross.
12. What famous person expressed a good opinion of the narrator of Bartleby?
(a) Andrew Carnegie.
(b) John D. Rockefeller.
(c) Theodore Roosevelt.
(d) John Jacob Astor.
13. What quality of Bartleby's induces the narrator to hire him?
(a) Bartleby is efficient.
(b) Bartleby is sedate.
(c) Bartleby is friendly.
(d) Bartleby is energetic.
14. What was the message of the church meeting the narrator observed?
(a) "Repent and be saved."
(b) "Ye are the salt of the earth."
(c) "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's."
(d) "Hide not your light under a bushel."
15. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
(a) He is a hospitable, generous man.
(b) His debt was unfairly imposed.
(c) His creditor is a grumpy person.
(d) His interest payments are exorbitant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does the uncle in "The Happy Failure" think his invention is worth?
2. What is Poor Man's Pudding?
3. What does Melville believe the charities of London do for the poor?
4. Where do both the captain and Steelkilt go after they separate?
5. Whose job is it to normally sweep the deck of a ship?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)