|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
(a) They think Bartleby should be forgiven.
(b) They think Bartleby should be fired.
(c) They think Bartleby should be excused.
(d) They think Bartleby should be promoted.
2. What has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" invented?
(a) A device for purifying water.
(b) A device for diverting rivers.
(c) A device for draining swamps.
(d) A device for building dams.
3. What happens to the rooster when the Merrymusk family dies?
(a) The rooster goes home with the narrator.
(b) The rooster dies too.
(c) The rooster is sold for five hundred dollars.
(d) The rooster crows on the graves.
4. What is the narrator's condition when he goes to the theater in London?
(a) He is bored and overfed.
(b) He is broke and alone.
(c) He is well-fed and relaxed.
(d) He is comfortable and among friends.
5. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
(a) Pine nuts.
(c) Ginger nuts.
6. Why is the narrator of "The Two Temples" not allowed to enter the church?
(a) He looks like a heathen.
(b) He looks poor and doesn't have a bribe.
(c) He is causing a disturbance.
(d) He doesn't appear to be a Christian.
7. What do the Peruvian listeners force the storyteller to do to prove his story is true?
(a) Swear on the Bible.
(b) Cross his heart.
(c) Produce another witness.
(d) Show some evidence.
8. What is Poor Man's Pudding?
(a) Milk, eggs, and sugar.
(b) Water, salt, and flour.
(c) Flour, sugar, cinnamon, and milk.
(d) Rice, milk, and salt.
9. Why does the Town-Ho's captain have to put the ship into port?
(a) It has run out of supplies.
(b) It has sprung a leak.
(c) There has been a mutiny on board.
(d) Its crewmen are ill with scurvy.
10. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
(a) Legal research.
(d) Errand boy.
11. With what weapon does Radney threaten Steelkilt?
(a) A rope.
(b) A gun.
(c) A hammer.
(d) A knife.
12. What previous employment had shaped Bartleby?
(a) Working on a locomotive.
(b) Working as a court reporter.
(c) Working in a dead letter office.
(d) Working in a morgue.
13. Of what does the onstage action in the London theater remind the narrator?
(a) The church service he had watched from the bell tower.
(b) The curmudgeonly landlady at his boarding house.
(c) His own childhood.
(d) The theater at home on Broadway.
14. What did the failure of his invention do for the uncle in "The Happy Failure?"
(a) Made him more determined.
(b) Made him disappointed.
(c) Made him furious.
(d) Made him a good man.
15. What age is the narrator of Bartleby?
(a) In his thirties.
(b) In his fifties.
(c) In his forties.
(d) In his sixties.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a scrivener do?
2. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
3. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
4. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
5. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)