|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What object does the lookout spot that takes Melville's ship to Norfolk Isle?
(a) A burning fire.
(b) A handkerchief.
(c) A white bird.
(d) An American flag.
2. How long has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" worked on his invention?
(a) All month.
(b) Three months.
(c) All year.
(d) Ten years.
3. What prevents Steelkilt from taking revenge on Radney?
(a) The captain orders Radney executed.
(b) Steelkilt has a change of heart.
(c) Moby Dick kills Radney.
(d) Radney apologizes.
4. What does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe the rooster's crow is saying?
(d) Glory be to God in the highest!
5. Why does the captain decide not to flog Steelkilt?
(a) He suddenly feels sorry for Steelkilt.
(b) He suddenly feels the menace of the rest of the crew.
(c) Steelkilt makes an inaudible threat.
(d) He suddenly feels ashamed of his own behavior.
6. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
(a) Turkey, Nippers, and Ginger Nut.
(b) Chompers, Grumpy, and Short Stuff.
(c) Chicken, Rooster, and Cluck.
(d) Grandpa, Grumpy, and The Kid.
7. What good qualities does Bartleby have as an employee?
(a) He is eager to help.
(b) He is amiable and friendly.
(c) He is hard-working and honest.
(d) He is enthusiastic and energetic.
8. How does the narrator get into the London theater presentation?
(a) A stranger gives him a ticket.
(b) He sneaks in a side door.
(c) He pawns his overcoat to buy a ticket.
(d) He finds a ticket on the sidewalk.
9. What does Bartleby's demeanor show about his eccentricities?
(a) They are voluntary.
(b) They are unimportant.
(c) They are involuntary.
(d) They are important.
10. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) Fascination and charm.
(b) Silence and serenity.
(c) Beauty and peace.
(d) Solitude and desolation.
11. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
(a) Acquiesces out of courtesy.
(b) Doubts the other person.
(c) Digs in his heels.
(d) Questions his own mind.
12. What did the American ship, the Essex, see in the Encantadas?
(a) An English ship.
(b) A pirate ship.
(c) An enchanted ship.
(d) A ghost ship.
13. What does a scrivener do?
(a) Records testimony in court.
(b) Researches legal precedents.
(c) Makes copies of legal documents.
(d) Organizes court records.
14. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
(a) He pays him promptly.
(b) He apologizes.
(c) He throws him out.
(d) He offers to double his payment.
15. How does Steelkilt respond to Radney's request that he sweep the deck?
(a) He quietly refuses.
(b) He complains loudly.
(c) He meekly obeys.
(d) He loudly refuses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
2. What did buccaneers leave on the islands that Melville claims is proof of their better traits?
3. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
4. What surprises the narrator when he goes to his office on a Sunday?
5. What age is the narrator of Bartleby?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)