|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unusual about the pork at the Coulters' dinner table?
(a) It is only fat and gristle.
(b) It is not really pork.
(c) It is only hides.
(d) It is last year's.
2. What is the narrator's condition when he goes to the theater in London?
(a) He is broke and alone.
(b) He is well-fed and relaxed.
(c) He is bored and overfed.
(d) He is comfortable and among friends.
3. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
(a) The approval of his employees.
(b) Bartleby's friendship.
(d) The approval of his peers.
4. How does Steelkilt respond to Radney's request that he sweep the deck?
(a) He loudly refuses.
(b) He meekly obeys.
(c) He complains loudly.
(d) He quietly refuses.
5. To what sight in the city does Melville compare the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) A pile of cinders.
(b) A pile of leaves.
(c) A pile of rocks.
(d) A pile of trash.
6. How does Bartleby respond to the other employees?
(a) He thanks them.
(b) He emulates them.
(c) He ignores them.
(d) He resents them.
7. Why does Radney dislike Steelkilt?
(a) Steelkilt is unfriendly.
(b) Steelkilt is insubordinate.
(c) Steelkilt is rude.
(d) Steelkilt is handsome.
8. Whose job is it to normally sweep the deck of a ship?
(a) The lowest seaman.
(b) The boys on board.
(c) All members of the work gangs.
(d) The men on watch.
9. What does Steelkilt threaten to do if he is flogged by the captain?
(a) Tell the admiralty board of review.
(b) Jump overboard.
(c) Seek an unnamed revenge.
(d) Murder the captain.
10. What did a strange boy give the narrator in the theater?
(a) A cup of coffee.
(b) An unexpected smile.
(c) A cup of ale.
(d) A cake of barley.
11. What surprises the narrator when he goes to his office on a Sunday?
(a) Bartleby has been living there.
(b) Bartleby has stolen his things.
(c) Bartleby has invited friends to the office.
(d) Bartleby has been working on the weekend.
12. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
(a) Grandpa, Grumpy, and The Kid.
(b) Chicken, Rooster, and Cluck.
(c) Turkey, Nippers, and Ginger Nut.
(d) Chompers, Grumpy, and Short Stuff.
13. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
(a) Ginger nuts.
(d) Pine nuts.
14. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
(c) Errand boy.
(d) Legal research.
15. What famous person expressed a good opinion of the narrator of Bartleby?
(a) John D. Rockefeller.
(b) John Jacob Astor.
(c) Theodore Roosevelt.
(d) Andrew Carnegie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the failure of his invention do for the uncle in "The Happy Failure?"
2. Why does the captain decide not to flog Steelkilt?
3. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
4. What emotion does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" say he has never felt since the rooster died?
5. What does Melville believe the charities of London do for the poor?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)