|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
(b) Tax accountant.
2. What surprises the narrator when he goes to his office on a Sunday?
(a) Bartleby has been living there.
(b) Bartleby has invited friends to the office.
(c) Bartleby has been working on the weekend.
(d) Bartleby has stolen his things.
3. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
(a) His neighbor.
(b) His banker.
(c) His creditor.
(d) His wife.
4. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
(a) The bat.
(b) The walrus.
(c) The cormorant.
(d) The penguin.
5. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
(a) He apologizes.
(b) He offers to double his payment.
(c) He throws him out.
(d) He pays him promptly.
6. How does Melville describe pelicans?
(a) Modest and humble.
(b) Woebegone and penitential.
(c) Clever and complicated.
(d) Elegant and streamlined.
7. How does the narrator of "The Two Temples" attend the meeting at the church?
(a) He hides in the bell tower.
(b) He sneaks into the foyer.
(c) He disguises himself as the bell ringer.
(d) He bribes the man who guards the door.
8. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
(c) Ginger nuts.
(d) Pine nuts.
9. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
(a) Questions his own mind.
(b) Digs in his heels.
(c) Doubts the other person.
(d) Acquiesces out of courtesy.
10. What does Melville say is the most populous species on the island of Albermarle?
11. What do Steelkilt and his men demand in return for obeying orders?
(a) They will not have to sweep the decks.
(b) They will be given better wages.
(c) They will not be punished.
(d) Radney will be punished.
12. What happens to the rooster when the Merrymusk family dies?
(a) The rooster dies too.
(b) The rooster crows on the graves.
(c) The rooster goes home with the narrator.
(d) The rooster is sold for five hundred dollars.
13. What does Bartleby's demeanor show about his eccentricities?
(a) They are voluntary.
(b) They are important.
(c) They are involuntary.
(d) They are unimportant.
14. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view the world?
(a) Full of casualties, despotism, and knocks on the head.
(b) Full of sunshine, flowers, and rainbows.
(c) Full of puzzles, traps, and confusion.
(d) Full of dangers, snares, and delusions.
15. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
(a) They think Bartleby should be forgiven.
(b) They think Bartleby should be excused.
(c) They think Bartleby should be promoted.
(d) They think Bartleby should be fired.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" invented?
2. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
3. What famous person expressed a good opinion of the narrator of Bartleby?
4. What is unusual about the pork at the Coulters' dinner table?
5. Why is the narrator of "The Two Temples" not allowed to enter the church?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)