|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view the world?
(a) Full of sunshine, flowers, and rainbows.
(b) Full of casualties, despotism, and knocks on the head.
(c) Full of puzzles, traps, and confusion.
(d) Full of dangers, snares, and delusions.
2. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
(a) Chicken, Rooster, and Cluck.
(b) Turkey, Nippers, and Ginger Nut.
(c) Chompers, Grumpy, and Short Stuff.
(d) Grandpa, Grumpy, and The Kid.
3. What animal from the islands supplies sailors with food and utensils?
(a) The albatross.
(b) The iguana.
(c) The tortoise.
(d) The seal.
4. What is unusual about the pork at the Coulters' dinner table?
(a) It is last year's.
(b) It is only hides.
(c) It is not really pork.
(d) It is only fat and gristle.
5. What does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe the rooster's crow is saying?
(b) Glory be to God in the highest!
6. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
(a) The rooster reminds him of a song.
(b) The rooster reminds him of a character in a play.
(c) The rooster reminds him of his neighbor.
(d) The rooster reminds him of a character in a book.
7. How long has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" worked on his invention?
(a) Ten years.
(b) All year.
(c) Three months.
(d) All month.
8. What good qualities does Bartleby have as an employee?
(a) He is amiable and friendly.
(b) He is eager to help.
(c) He is enthusiastic and energetic.
(d) He is hard-working and honest.
9. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
(b) Legal research.
(d) Errand boy.
10. How does Bartleby respond to the other employees?
(a) He resents them.
(b) He ignores them.
(c) He thanks them.
(d) He emulates them.
11. What action does Steelkilt determine to take after being locked in the hold?
(a) He will kill Radney.
(b) He will kill the captain.
(c) He will seize the ship.
(d) He will apologize.
12. How does Melville describe pelicans?
(a) Clever and complicated.
(b) Elegant and streamlined.
(c) Modest and humble.
(d) Woebegone and penitential.
13. Why doesn't the narrator dismiss Bartleby for insubordination?
(a) Bartleby is obviously emotionally upset.
(b) Bartleby is distressed.
(c) Bartleby promises to improve.
(d) Bartleby is calm, showing no emotion.
14. Why does Coulter come home for lunch?
(a) To please his wife.
(b) To get exercise from the walk.
(c) To enjoy a hot meal.
(d) To rest a little while.
15. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
(a) Copy a comparison of an original.
(b) Compare a copy with its original.
(c) Go for coffee.
(d) Originate a copy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" invented?
2. What surprises the narrator when he goes to his office on a Sunday?
3. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
4. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
5. What happens to the rooster when the Merrymusk family dies?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)