|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what weapon does Radney threaten Steelkilt?
(a) A rope.
(b) A hammer.
(c) A knife.
(d) A gun.
2. What do Steelkilt's three remaining conspirators decide to do to save themselves?
(a) Support Steelkilt's mutiny.
(b) Kill Steelkilt.
(c) Bind Steelkilt and give him to the captain.
(d) Sneak back to their posts.
3. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
(a) The Confidence Man.
(c) Moby Dick.
(d) Billy Budd.
4. Where does the narrator in The Town-Ho's story tell his tale?
(a) On the deck of the Pequod.
(b) On the deck of the Town-Ho.
(c) The Cape of Good Hope.
(d) Lima, Peru.
5. How does the narrator get into the London theater presentation?
(a) He finds a ticket on the sidewalk.
(b) A stranger gives him a ticket.
(c) He sneaks in a side door.
(d) He pawns his overcoat to buy a ticket.
6. What makes Moby Dick an unusual whale?
(a) He is unusually small, white, and intelligent.
(b) He is intelligent and communicates with people.
(c) He has supernatural powers.
(d) He is unusually large, white, and vengeful.
7. What does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe the rooster's crow is saying?
(b) Glory be to God in the highest!
8. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
(a) He pays him promptly.
(b) He apologizes.
(c) He offers to double his payment.
(d) He throws him out.
9. What happens to the rooster when the Merrymusk family dies?
(a) The rooster goes home with the narrator.
(b) The rooster dies too.
(c) The rooster crows on the graves.
(d) The rooster is sold for five hundred dollars.
10. Whose job is it to normally sweep the deck of a ship?
(a) All members of the work gangs.
(b) The boys on board.
(c) The lowest seaman.
(d) The men on watch.
11. Why does the Town-Ho's captain have to put the ship into port?
(a) It has run out of supplies.
(b) Its crewmen are ill with scurvy.
(c) There has been a mutiny on board.
(d) It has sprung a leak.
12. What do Steelkilt and his men demand in return for obeying orders?
(a) Radney will be punished.
(b) They will be given better wages.
(c) They will not have to sweep the decks.
(d) They will not be punished.
13. What does the narrator's middle-aged employee offer to do for Bartleby?
(a) Teach him better work habits.
(b) Black his eyes.
(c) Fire him.
(d) Teach him manners.
14. What prevents Steelkilt from taking revenge on Radney?
(a) Steelkilt has a change of heart.
(b) Moby Dick kills Radney.
(c) The captain orders Radney executed.
(d) Radney apologizes.
15. How does the narrator of "The Two Temples" attend the meeting at the church?
(a) He hides in the bell tower.
(b) He bribes the man who guards the door.
(c) He disguises himself as the bell ringer.
(d) He sneaks into the foyer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did a strange boy give the narrator in the theater?
2. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
3. What human assumption does Melville say is the most preposterous?
4. What does Bartleby's demeanor show about his eccentricities?
5. Why does Coulter come home for lunch?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)