|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What object does the lookout spot that takes Melville's ship to Norfolk Isle?
(a) A handkerchief.
(b) A burning fire.
(c) An American flag.
(d) A white bird.
2. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
(a) Sea life is "reckless and barbaric."
(b) Sea life is "daring and brave."
(c) Sea life is "quietly Christian."
(d) Sea life is "calm and pure."
3. How does Merrymusk convince the narrator that he is a rich man?
(a) He has a large tract of land.
(b) He has a rooster worth five hundred dollars.
(c) He has a barn full of hay.
(d) He has a large family.
4. Whose job is it to normally sweep the deck of a ship?
(a) The boys on board.
(b) All members of the work gangs.
(c) The lowest seaman.
(d) The men on watch.
5. What surprises the narrator when he goes to his office on a Sunday?
(a) Bartleby has invited friends to the office.
(b) Bartleby has been working on the weekend.
(c) Bartleby has been living there.
(d) Bartleby has stolen his things.
6. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
(a) Chicken, Rooster, and Cluck.
(b) Turkey, Nippers, and Ginger Nut.
(c) Chompers, Grumpy, and Short Stuff.
(d) Grandpa, Grumpy, and The Kid.
7. What did the failure of his invention do for the uncle in "The Happy Failure?"
(a) Made him more determined.
(b) Made him disappointed.
(c) Made him furious.
(d) Made him a good man.
8. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
(a) It would justify Radney's dishonorable actions.
(b) It would spark a mutiny.
(c) It would be unfair.
(d) It would lead to a admiralty investigation.
9. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
(a) Originate a copy.
(b) Copy a comparison of an original.
(c) Compare a copy with its original.
(d) Go for coffee.
10. What does the arrangement of the office allow Bartleby to do with the narrator?
(a) Neither see him nor hear him.
(b) Both see and hear him.
(c) Hear him but not see him.
(d) See him but not hear him.
11. What do Steelkilt's three remaining conspirators decide to do to save themselves?
(a) Kill Steelkilt.
(b) Sneak back to their posts.
(c) Support Steelkilt's mutiny.
(d) Bind Steelkilt and give him to the captain.
12. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
(a) His creditor.
(b) His banker.
(c) His neighbor.
(d) His wife.
13. What action does Steelkilt determine to take after being locked in the hold?
(a) He will kill the captain.
(b) He will apologize.
(c) He will kill Radney.
(d) He will seize the ship.
14. What did the American ship, the Essex, see in the Encantadas?
(a) A ghost ship.
(b) An English ship.
(c) An enchanted ship.
(d) A pirate ship.
15. What quality of Bartleby's induces the narrator to hire him?
(a) Bartleby is sedate.
(b) Bartleby is friendly.
(c) Bartleby is efficient.
(d) Bartleby is energetic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did buccaneers leave on the islands that Melville claims is proof of their better traits?
2. How does Melville describe pelicans?
3. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
4. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
5. How does the narrator accommodate the weakness of his oldest scrivener?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)