|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prevents Steelkilt from taking revenge on Radney?
(a) Radney apologizes.
(b) Steelkilt has a change of heart.
(c) The captain orders Radney executed.
(d) Moby Dick kills Radney.
2. Why does the Town-Ho's captain have to put the ship into port?
(a) Its crewmen are ill with scurvy.
(b) It has run out of supplies.
(c) It has sprung a leak.
(d) There has been a mutiny on board.
3. What is unusual about the pork at the Coulters' dinner table?
(a) It is not really pork.
(b) It is last year's.
(c) It is only fat and gristle.
(d) It is only hides.
4. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
(a) It would spark a mutiny.
(b) It would be unfair.
(c) It would lead to a admiralty investigation.
(d) It would justify Radney's dishonorable actions.
5. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
(a) They murder the captain.
(b) They desert the ship.
(c) They give up life on the sea.
(d) They call for help.
6. With what weapon does Radney threaten Steelkilt?
(a) A gun.
(b) A hammer.
(c) A knife.
(d) A rope.
7. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
(a) The Confidence Man.
(b) Moby Dick.
(c) Billy Budd.
8. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
(a) They think Bartleby should be excused.
(b) They think Bartleby should be fired.
(c) They think Bartleby should be promoted.
(d) They think Bartleby should be forgiven.
9. How does Melville describe pelicans?
(a) Modest and humble.
(b) Clever and complicated.
(c) Woebegone and penitential.
(d) Elegant and streamlined.
10. Who are Pedro and Sebastian in The Town-Ho's Story?
(a) Sailors on the Town-Ho.
(c) Friends of the narrator.
(d) Sailors on the Pequod.
11. Where do both the captain and Steelkilt go after they separate?
12. What does the crew decide to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
(a) Murder Radney.
(b) Obey the captain.
(c) Start a mutiny.
(d) Desert together.
13. How much does the uncle in "The Happy Failure" think his invention is worth?
(a) More than gold.
(b) More than silver.
(c) More than his house.
(d) More than a life's work.
14. Where does the narrator in The Town-Ho's story tell his tale?
(a) Lima, Peru.
(b) On the deck of the Town-Ho.
(c) The Cape of Good Hope.
(d) On the deck of the Pequod.
15. What part of the United States does the narrator of the Town-Ho's story claim is much like the sea?
(a) Lake Tahoe.
(b) The Erie Canal.
(c) The Great Lakes region.
(d) The Mississippi.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous person expressed a good opinion of the narrator of Bartleby?
2. What does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe the rooster's crow is saying?
3. Why is the narrator of "The Two Temples" not allowed to enter the church?
4. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
5. Why does Coulter come home for lunch?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)