|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the crew decide to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
(a) Obey the captain.
(b) Start a mutiny.
(c) Desert together.
(d) Murder Radney.
2. How does the narrator get into the London theater presentation?
(a) He pawns his overcoat to buy a ticket.
(b) He finds a ticket on the sidewalk.
(c) He sneaks in a side door.
(d) A stranger gives him a ticket.
3. How much does the uncle in "The Happy Failure" think his invention is worth?
(a) More than his house.
(b) More than gold.
(c) More than silver.
(d) More than a life's work.
4. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
5. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
(a) Doubts the other person.
(b) Acquiesces out of courtesy.
(c) Digs in his heels.
(d) Questions his own mind.
6. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
(a) Bartleby is relentlessly cheerful.
(b) Bartleby is frighteningly mechanical.
(c) Bartleby is only occasionally industrious.
(d) Bartleby is not cheerful.
7. What is the narrator's condition when he goes to the theater in London?
(a) He is well-fed and relaxed.
(b) He is comfortable and among friends.
(c) He is bored and overfed.
(d) He is broke and alone.
8. What animal from the islands supplies sailors with food and utensils?
(a) The iguana.
(b) The seal.
(c) The tortoise.
(d) The albatross.
9. What makes Moby Dick an unusual whale?
(a) He is unusually small, white, and intelligent.
(b) He is unusually large, white, and vengeful.
(c) He is intelligent and communicates with people.
(d) He has supernatural powers.
10. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
(c) Tax accountant.
11. How does the narrator accommodate the weakness of his oldest scrivener?
(a) By giving him unimportant papers in the afternoon.
(b) By giving him unimportant papers in the morning.
(c) By hiring an assistant for him.
(d) By allowing him to work only half a day.
12. What emotion does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" say he has never felt since the rooster died?
(a) The doleful dumps.
(b) The cheerful joys.
(c) The silly slaphappiness.
(d) The warm contentment.
13. Why does the Town-Ho's captain have to put the ship into port?
(a) Its crewmen are ill with scurvy.
(b) It has run out of supplies.
(c) There has been a mutiny on board.
(d) It has sprung a leak.
14. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
(a) Ginger nuts.
(d) Pine nuts.
15. What does a scrivener do?
(a) Researches legal precedents.
(b) Organizes court records.
(c) Records testimony in court.
(d) Makes copies of legal documents.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what weapon does Radney threaten Steelkilt?
2. What does Blandmour believe God does for the poor?
3. Why does the captain decide not to flog Steelkilt?
4. What does Bartleby's demeanor show about his eccentricities?
5. What does the crew decide not to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)