|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view the world?
(a) Full of dangers, snares, and delusions.
(b) Full of casualties, despotism, and knocks on the head.
(c) Full of sunshine, flowers, and rainbows.
(d) Full of puzzles, traps, and confusion.
2. How does the narrator get into the London theater presentation?
(a) He sneaks in a side door.
(b) He pawns his overcoat to buy a ticket.
(c) A stranger gives him a ticket.
(d) He finds a ticket on the sidewalk.
3. Why doesn't the narrator dismiss Bartleby for insubordination?
(a) Bartleby is distressed.
(b) Bartleby is obviously emotionally upset.
(c) Bartleby is calm, showing no emotion.
(d) Bartleby promises to improve.
4. What did a strange boy give the narrator in the theater?
(a) An unexpected smile.
(b) A cup of ale.
(c) A cup of coffee.
(d) A cake of barley.
5. Who are Pedro and Sebastian in The Town-Ho's Story?
(b) Sailors on the Pequod.
(c) Friends of the narrator.
(d) Sailors on the Town-Ho.
6. Why does Coulter come home for lunch?
(a) To enjoy a hot meal.
(b) To rest a little while.
(c) To please his wife.
(d) To get exercise from the walk.
7. What do Steelkilt's three remaining conspirators decide to do to save themselves?
(a) Kill Steelkilt.
(b) Support Steelkilt's mutiny.
(c) Bind Steelkilt and give him to the captain.
(d) Sneak back to their posts.
8. How does the narrator accommodate the weakness of his oldest scrivener?
(a) By hiring an assistant for him.
(b) By giving him unimportant papers in the morning.
(c) By giving him unimportant papers in the afternoon.
(d) By allowing him to work only half a day.
9. What did buccaneers leave on the islands that Melville claims is proof of their better traits?
(a) Carved stone furniture.
(b) Buried treasure.
(c) Planted gardens.
(d) Planted orchards.
10. Why does the Town-Ho's captain have to put the ship into port?
(a) Its crewmen are ill with scurvy.
(b) It has sprung a leak.
(c) There has been a mutiny on board.
(d) It has run out of supplies.
11. How does Steelkilt respond to Radney's request that he sweep the deck?
(a) He complains loudly.
(b) He loudly refuses.
(c) He meekly obeys.
(d) He quietly refuses.
12. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
(a) They give up life on the sea.
(b) They desert the ship.
(c) They call for help.
(d) They murder the captain.
13. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) Beauty and peace.
(b) Solitude and desolation.
(c) Fascination and charm.
(d) Silence and serenity.
14. What has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" invented?
(a) A device for building dams.
(b) A device for purifying water.
(c) A device for diverting rivers.
(d) A device for draining swamps.
15. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
(c) Legal research.
(d) Errand boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
2. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
3. Where do both the captain and Steelkilt go after they separate?
4. What object does the lookout spot that takes Melville's ship to Norfolk Isle?
5. What is Poor Man's Pudding?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)