|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What good qualities does Bartleby have as an employee?
(a) He is hard-working and honest.
(b) He is eager to help.
(c) He is enthusiastic and energetic.
(d) He is amiable and friendly.
2. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
(a) A Peruvian king.
(b) A Chilean adventurer.
(c) A Bolivian pirate.
(d) A Creole soldier.
3. What has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" invented?
(a) A device for purifying water.
(b) A device for draining swamps.
(c) A device for diverting rivers.
(d) A device for building dams.
4. Why is the narrator of "The Two Temples" not allowed to enter the church?
(a) He doesn't appear to be a Christian.
(b) He looks like a heathen.
(c) He looks poor and doesn't have a bribe.
(d) He is causing a disturbance.
5. With what alliteration does Melville describe the islands?
(a) An archipelago of aridities.
(b) Dark, doleful doomsday.
(c) Fruitful festival of fecundity.
(d) Extensive elegant exotica.
6. What does Blandmour believe God does for the poor?
(a) God gives the poor the challenges they need.
(b) God gives the poor very little help.
(c) God charges the rich to care for the poor.
(d) God gives the poor everything they need for free.
7. What are the two failings the narrator sees in his middle-aged scrivener?
(a) A bad temper and gambling.
(b) Ambition and indigestion.
(c) Dishonesty and ambition.
(d) Indigestion and messiness.
8. Whose job is it to normally sweep the deck of a ship?
(a) The men on watch.
(b) The lowest seaman.
(c) The boys on board.
(d) All members of the work gangs.
9. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
(a) Grandpa, Grumpy, and The Kid.
(b) Chompers, Grumpy, and Short Stuff.
(c) Chicken, Rooster, and Cluck.
(d) Turkey, Nippers, and Ginger Nut.
10. What does the crew decide not to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
(a) Call out when whales were sighted.
(b) Desert together.
(c) Obey the captain.
(d) Start a mutiny.
11. What do Steelkilt and his men demand in return for obeying orders?
(a) They will be given better wages.
(b) They will not have to sweep the decks.
(c) Radney will be punished.
(d) They will not be punished.
12. What is Poor Man's Pudding?
(a) Rice, milk, and salt.
(b) Water, salt, and flour.
(c) Flour, sugar, cinnamon, and milk.
(d) Milk, eggs, and sugar.
13. What does a scrivener do?
(a) Records testimony in court.
(b) Organizes court records.
(c) Makes copies of legal documents.
(d) Researches legal precedents.
14. Why does Coulter come home for lunch?
(a) To enjoy a hot meal.
(b) To please his wife.
(c) To rest a little while.
(d) To get exercise from the walk.
15. What action does Steelkilt determine to take after being locked in the hold?
(a) He will apologize.
(b) He will kill Radney.
(c) He will kill the captain.
(d) He will seize the ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
2. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
3. How does Melville describe pelicans?
4. Why does the Town-Ho's captain have to put the ship into port?
5. Where does the narrator in The Town-Ho's story tell his tale?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)