|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
(a) He apologizes.
(b) He pays him promptly.
(c) He offers to double his payment.
(d) He throws him out.
2. What did buccaneers leave on the islands that Melville claims is proof of their better traits?
(a) Planted orchards.
(b) Buried treasure.
(c) Carved stone furniture.
(d) Planted gardens.
3. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
(b) The Confidence Man.
(c) Moby Dick.
(d) Billy Budd.
4. How is the narrator punished for sneaking into the church?
(a) He is publicly embarrassed, but pardoned.
(b) He is imprisoned.
(c) He is jailed overnight and fined.
(d) He is warned and set free.
5. Whose job is it to normally sweep the deck of a ship?
(a) The lowest seaman.
(b) The men on watch.
(c) The boys on board.
(d) All members of the work gangs.
6. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
(a) Sea life is "quietly Christian."
(b) Sea life is "reckless and barbaric."
(c) Sea life is "daring and brave."
(d) Sea life is "calm and pure."
7. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
(a) Tax accountant.
8. What did a strange boy give the narrator in the theater?
(a) A cup of coffee.
(b) A cup of ale.
(c) An unexpected smile.
(d) A cake of barley.
9. What does the narrator's middle-aged employee offer to do for Bartleby?
(a) Teach him manners.
(b) Teach him better work habits.
(c) Black his eyes.
(d) Fire him.
10. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
(a) Bartleby is not cheerful.
(b) Bartleby is relentlessly cheerful.
(c) Bartleby is frighteningly mechanical.
(d) Bartleby is only occasionally industrious.
11. How does Melville describe pelicans?
(a) Woebegone and penitential.
(b) Elegant and streamlined.
(c) Clever and complicated.
(d) Modest and humble.
12. What does Bartleby's demeanor show about his eccentricities?
(a) They are voluntary.
(b) They are involuntary.
(c) They are important.
(d) They are unimportant.
13. What surprises the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" about the owner of the rooster?
(a) He has many such roosters.
(b) He is poor.
(c) He has a large family.
(d) He is old.
14. Why doesn't the narrator dismiss Bartleby for insubordination?
(a) Bartleby is calm, showing no emotion.
(b) Bartleby is distressed.
(c) Bartleby promises to improve.
(d) Bartleby is obviously emotionally upset.
15. What did the American ship, the Essex, see in the Encantadas?
(a) A ghost ship.
(b) An enchanted ship.
(c) An English ship.
(d) A pirate ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
2. What did the failure of his invention do for the uncle in "The Happy Failure?"
3. How long has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" worked on his invention?
4. What are the two failings the narrator sees in his middle-aged scrivener?
5. What emotion does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" say he has never felt since the rooster died?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)