|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" worked on his invention?
(a) All month.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Three months.
(d) All year.
2. With what alliteration does Melville describe the islands?
(a) Extensive elegant exotica.
(b) Fruitful festival of fecundity.
(c) Dark, doleful doomsday.
(d) An archipelago of aridities.
3. With what weapon does Radney threaten Steelkilt?
(a) A hammer.
(b) A rope.
(c) A gun.
(d) A knife.
4. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
(a) Acquiesces out of courtesy.
(b) Questions his own mind.
(c) Doubts the other person.
(d) Digs in his heels.
5. What is Poor Man's Pudding?
(a) Water, salt, and flour.
(b) Flour, sugar, cinnamon, and milk.
(c) Milk, eggs, and sugar.
(d) Rice, milk, and salt.
6. What previous employment had shaped Bartleby?
(a) Working on a locomotive.
(b) Working in a morgue.
(c) Working in a dead letter office.
(d) Working as a court reporter.
7. What prevents Steelkilt from taking revenge on Radney?
(a) Radney apologizes.
(b) Steelkilt has a change of heart.
(c) Moby Dick kills Radney.
(d) The captain orders Radney executed.
8. How is the narrator punished for sneaking into the church?
(a) He is jailed overnight and fined.
(b) He is publicly embarrassed, but pardoned.
(c) He is warned and set free.
(d) He is imprisoned.
9. How does the narrator of "The Two Temples" attend the meeting at the church?
(a) He hides in the bell tower.
(b) He sneaks into the foyer.
(c) He bribes the man who guards the door.
(d) He disguises himself as the bell ringer.
10. What has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" invented?
(a) A device for diverting rivers.
(b) A device for draining swamps.
(c) A device for building dams.
(d) A device for purifying water.
11. Why does Coulter come home for lunch?
(a) To rest a little while.
(b) To please his wife.
(c) To get exercise from the walk.
(d) To enjoy a hot meal.
12. How does Steelkilt respond to Radney's request that he sweep the deck?
(a) He meekly obeys.
(b) He complains loudly.
(c) He quietly refuses.
(d) He loudly refuses.
13. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
(a) The approval of his employees.
(b) Bartleby's friendship.
(d) The approval of his peers.
14. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
(a) A Bolivian pirate.
(b) A Creole soldier.
(c) A Peruvian king.
(d) A Chilean adventurer.
15. What animal from the islands supplies sailors with food and utensils?
(a) The albatross.
(b) The seal.
(c) The tortoise.
(d) The iguana.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
2. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
3. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
4. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
5. Whose job is it to normally sweep the deck of a ship?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)