|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the rooster when the Merrymusk family dies?
(a) The rooster goes home with the narrator.
(b) The rooster crows on the graves.
(c) The rooster is sold for five hundred dollars.
(d) The rooster dies too.
2. What did a strange boy give the narrator in the theater?
(a) A cup of coffee.
(b) A cup of ale.
(c) An unexpected smile.
(d) A cake of barley.
3. What does the crew decide not to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
(a) Obey the captain.
(b) Desert together.
(c) Call out when whales were sighted.
(d) Start a mutiny.
4. What was the message of the church meeting the narrator observed?
(a) "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's."
(b) "Ye are the salt of the earth."
(c) "Repent and be saved."
(d) "Hide not your light under a bushel."
5. Why does the captain decide not to flog Steelkilt?
(a) He suddenly feels the menace of the rest of the crew.
(b) He suddenly feels sorry for Steelkilt.
(c) Steelkilt makes an inaudible threat.
(d) He suddenly feels ashamed of his own behavior.
6. Who are Pedro and Sebastian in The Town-Ho's Story?
(a) Sailors on the Town-Ho.
(c) Sailors on the Pequod.
(d) Friends of the narrator.
7. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
(a) Chicken, Rooster, and Cluck.
(b) Turkey, Nippers, and Ginger Nut.
(c) Grandpa, Grumpy, and The Kid.
(d) Chompers, Grumpy, and Short Stuff.
8. How does the narrator of "The Two Temples" attend the meeting at the church?
(a) He hides in the bell tower.
(b) He sneaks into the foyer.
(c) He disguises himself as the bell ringer.
(d) He bribes the man who guards the door.
9. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
(a) The Confidence Man.
(c) Billy Budd.
(d) Moby Dick.
10. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
(a) They call for help.
(b) They murder the captain.
(c) They desert the ship.
(d) They give up life on the sea.
11. What are the two failings the narrator sees in his middle-aged scrivener?
(a) Dishonesty and ambition.
(b) Indigestion and messiness.
(c) Ambition and indigestion.
(d) A bad temper and gambling.
12. What human assumption does Melville say is the most preposterous?
(a) Understanding of the rich by the poor.
(b) Criticism of the poor by the rich.
(c) Criticism of the rich by the poor.
(d) Understanding of the poor by the rich.
13. Where does the narrator in The Town-Ho's story tell his tale?
(a) The Cape of Good Hope.
(b) Lima, Peru.
(c) On the deck of the Town-Ho.
(d) On the deck of the Pequod.
14. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) Solitude and desolation.
(b) Beauty and peace.
(c) Fascination and charm.
(d) Silence and serenity.
15. What is Poor Man's Pudding?
(a) Water, salt, and flour.
(b) Rice, milk, and salt.
(c) Flour, sugar, cinnamon, and milk.
(d) Milk, eggs, and sugar.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Melville describe pelicans?
2. How long has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" worked on his invention?
3. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
4. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
5. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)