|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22 - Billy Budd.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were Billy Budd's last words?
(a) "Forgive this deed!"
(b) "Now dies an innocent man!"
(c) "God bless Captain Vere!"
(d) "God bless Mr. Claggart!"
2. What does the crew decide to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
(a) Start a mutiny.
(b) Murder Radney.
(c) Obey the captain.
(d) Desert together.
3. What term does Melville say any observer would use to describe Billy Budd?
(a) Handsome sailor.
(c) Country bumpkin.
(d) Innocent youth.
4. What impresses the narrator about the mill?
(a) The gigantic press machine.
(b) The clean air and water.
(c) The efficiency of the operation.
(d) The cheerfulness of the workers.
5. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
(d) Tax accountant.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
2. Why had Jimmy Rose never married?
3. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view locomotives and steamships?
4. Why doesn't the narrator dismiss Bartleby for insubordination?
5. How does the narrator get into the London theater presentation?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)