|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22 - Billy Budd.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what weapon does Radney threaten Steelkilt?
(a) A knife.
(b) A hammer.
(c) A rope.
(d) A gun.
2. Who wrote the book lying on the apple-tree table?
(c) Cotton Mather.
3. What good qualities does Bartleby have as an employee?
(a) He is amiable and friendly.
(b) He is enthusiastic and energetic.
(c) He is hard-working and honest.
(d) He is eager to help.
4. Why does the narrator of "Jimmy Rose" refuse to change the wallpaper in his parlor?
(a) It reminds him or a rose garden.
(b) It reminds him of Jimmy Rose.
(c) It reminds him of better days.
(d) It reminds him of his childhood.
5. What first alerts Billy Budd that something is amiss?
(a) He is publicly upbraided and mocked.
(b) Trying hard to do everything right, he finds himself in trouble.
(c) Making lots of mistakes, he never gets in trouble.
(d) His tiny errors are routinely ignored.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
2. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" identify with his chimney?
3. Why does Radney dislike Steelkilt?
4. Why does the narrator of "The Piazza" feel that the house must have a piazza?
5. What term does Melville say any observer would use to describe Billy Budd?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)