|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22 - Billy Budd.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Billy Budd never suspect Claggart's malice?
(a) Claggart "always had a kind word for him."
(b) Claggart promoted him.
(c) Claggart claimed to be his friend.
(d) Claggart called him "my beauty."
2. How does Captain Delano evaluate Benito Cereno's condition when he first meets him?
(a) Captain Delano evaluates Benito Cereno as weak and ineffectual.
(b) Captain Delano evalutes Benito Cereno as dictatorial.
(c) Captain Delano perceives Benito Cereno to be physically and mentally disabled.
(d) Captain Delano evalutes Benito Cereno as cruel.
3. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) Solitude and desolation.
(b) Silence and serenity.
(c) Beauty and peace.
(d) Fascination and charm.
4. Why had Jimmy Rose often been chosen to present awards?
(a) He was famous.
(b) He was handsome.
(c) He was a generous donor.
(d) He spoke well.
5. What is unusual about the strange ship's figurehead?
(a) It is covered in canvas wrapping.
(b) It is a plain, unmarked beak.
(c) It is obviously from Castile.
(d) It is beautifully carved.
Short Answer Questions
1. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
2. What does a scrivener do?
3. What sort of feet did the apple-tree table have?
4. On what holiday does John Gentian converse with passers-by?
5. Who wrote the book lying on the apple-tree table?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)