|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22 - Billy Budd.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it hard to see the mill when coming upon it?
(a) The mill's entrance is disguised by branches.
(b) The mill is painted to camouflage the entrance.
(c) The whole landscape is white.
(d) The mill is hidden in a cave.
2. What caused the bell-ringing automaton to kill Bannadonna?
(b) A manufacturing error.
(c) An unrepaired defect.
(d) A design flaw.
3. Who lives in the cottage that the narrator of "The Piazza" finds in the mountains?
(a) A newlywed husband and wife.
(b) No one.
(c) A lonely widow.
(d) An orphaned brother and sister.
4. Who are Pedro and Sebastian in The Town-Ho's Story?
(b) Sailors on the Pequod.
(c) Friends of the narrator.
(d) Sailors on the Town-Ho.
5. How does the narrator of "The Piazza" travel to the spot in the mountains that he wants to see?
(a) On horseback.
(b) In a carriage.
(c) On foot.
(d) In a yawl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did a strange boy give the narrator in the theater?
2. To what did Captain Delano attribute Benito Cereno's ineffectiveness as captain?
3. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
4. Whose job is it to normally sweep the deck of a ship?
5. What previous employment had shaped Bartleby?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)