|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22 - Billy Budd.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the failure of his invention do for the uncle in "The Happy Failure?"
(a) Made him disappointed.
(b) Made him more determined.
(c) Made him furious.
(d) Made him a good man.
2. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
(a) The walrus.
(b) The cormorant.
(c) The penguin.
(d) The bat.
3. Where does the narrator in The Town-Ho's story tell his tale?
(a) Lima, Peru.
(b) The Cape of Good Hope.
(c) On the deck of the Pequod.
(d) On the deck of the Town-Ho.
4. What disease does Captain Delano learn has swept off much of the crew and cargo of slaves?
5. How did Captain Vere get the nickname "Starry Vere"?
(a) From his knowledge of astronomy.
(b) From an ancestor.
(c) From a relative.
(d) From a poem.
Short Answer Questions
1. What human assumption does Melville say is the most preposterous?
2. What happens to the rooster when the Merrymusk family dies?
3. How does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" feel about the storm before the salesman arrives?
4. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
5. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)