|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22 - Billy Budd.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" do with his manuscripts?
(a) Tears them up.
(b) Sends them to publishers.
(c) Reads them to strangers.
(d) Pays to have them printed.
2. What does the captain of the merchant ship say that Billy Budd had done for his crew?
(a) Brought quarrels.
(b) Brought amusement.
(c) Brought confusion.
(d) Brought peace.
3. Of what does the onstage action in the London theater remind the narrator?
(a) The church service he had watched from the bell tower.
(b) His own childhood.
(c) The curmudgeonly landlady at his boarding house.
(d) The theater at home on Broadway.
4. Why is Captain Delano glad he was not astute enough to recognize the mutiny?
(a) He would have lost faith in mankind.
(b) He would not have known what to do.
(c) He would have been killed without helping Benito Cereno.
(d) He would have sacrificed his own crew.
5. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
(a) Bartleby is only occasionally industrious.
(b) Bartleby is not cheerful.
(c) Bartleby is frighteningly mechanical.
(d) Bartleby is relentlessly cheerful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator's middle-aged employee offer to do for Bartleby?
2. What is the narrator's condition when he goes to the theater in London?
3. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
4. Why is the strange ship low on provisions?
5. How is the narrator punished for sneaking into the church?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)