|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22 - Billy Budd.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator of "The Apple-Tree Table" feel as his wife and daughters become more frightened?
(a) He feels worse.
(b) He feels more frightened than they.
(c) He feels numb.
(d) He feels braver.
2. Why does the captain decide not to flog Steelkilt?
(a) He suddenly feels ashamed of his own behavior.
(b) Steelkilt makes an inaudible threat.
(c) He suddenly feels the menace of the rest of the crew.
(d) He suddenly feels sorry for Steelkilt.
3. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
(a) Sea life is "quietly Christian."
(b) Sea life is "daring and brave."
(c) Sea life is "calm and pure."
(d) Sea life is "reckless and barbaric."
4. How does the narrator get into the London theater presentation?
(a) He pawns his overcoat to buy a ticket.
(b) He finds a ticket on the sidewalk.
(c) A stranger gives him a ticket.
(d) He sneaks in a side door.
5. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) Beauty and peace.
(b) Silence and serenity.
(c) Fascination and charm.
(d) Solitude and desolation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the American ship, the Essex, see in the Encantadas?
2. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
3. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" decide never to leave home?
4. What disease does Captain Delano learn has swept off much of the crew and cargo of slaves?
5. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)