|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22 - Billy Budd.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who finally persuaded the narrator of "I and My Chimney" to knock a few feet off the chimney?
(a) His mortgage holder
(b) His wife.
(c) His neighbor.
(d) His daughters.
2. What emotion does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" say he has never felt since the rooster died?
(a) The silly slaphappiness.
(b) The cheerful joys.
(c) The doleful dumps.
(d) The warm contentment.
3. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
(a) He is a hospitable, generous man.
(b) His debt was unfairly imposed.
(c) His creditor is a grumpy person.
(d) His interest payments are exorbitant.
4. How does Claggart interpret Billy Budd's spilling his soup?
(a) Deliberate aggression against Claggart.
(c) Billy Budd's malicious nature.
5. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
(a) Sea life is "calm and pure."
(b) Sea life is "daring and brave."
(c) Sea life is "quietly Christian."
(d) Sea life is "reckless and barbaric."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
2. Who is Atufal?
3. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
4. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
5. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)