|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22 - Billy Budd.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Captain Delano to suspect Benito Cereno is an impostor?
(a) His ignorance of seamanship.
(b) His confusion.
(c) His bad manners.
(d) His weakness in command.
2. What god does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" think the salesman resembles?
3. How is the narrator punished for sneaking into the church?
(a) He is warned and set free.
(b) He is jailed overnight and fined.
(c) He is imprisoned.
(d) He is publicly embarrassed, but pardoned.
4. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
(c) Legal research.
(d) Errand boy.
5. What do the Peruvian listeners force the storyteller to do to prove his story is true?
(a) Swear on the Bible.
(b) Cross his heart.
(c) Show some evidence.
(d) Produce another witness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Captain Delano glad he was not astute enough to recognize the mutiny?
2. What does a scrivener do?
3. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
4. What part of the United States does the narrator of the Town-Ho's story claim is much like the sea?
5. What does Melville say is the most populous species on the island of Albermarle?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)