|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22 - Billy Budd.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator decide to give the apple-tree table when he first discovers it?
(a) A happier book.
(b) A place of honor.
(c) Kind attention.
(d) A warm environment.
2. With what weapon does Radney threaten Steelkilt?
(a) A rope.
(b) A knife.
(c) A hammer.
(d) A gun.
3. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) Beauty and peace.
(b) Silence and serenity.
(c) Fascination and charm.
(d) Solitude and desolation.
4. Of what does Claggart accuse Billy Budd?
(b) Plotting a murder.
(c) Plotting a mutiny.
(d) Insulting Claggart.
5. How is the narrator punished for sneaking into the church?
(a) He is warned and set free.
(b) He is jailed overnight and fined.
(c) He is publicly embarrassed, but pardoned.
(d) He is imprisoned.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator in "The Paradise of Bachelors" say has become of the Knights Templar?
2. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
3. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
4. What surprises the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" about the owner of the rooster?
5. What effect does the Marquis de Grandvin have on those around him?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)