|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22 - Billy Budd.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what did Captain Delano attribute the ship's being so long becalmed?
(b) Bad luck.
(c) Unusual weather.
(d) Poor seamanship.
2. How does the lightning rod salesman feel about thunderstorms?
(a) He is relaxed and unafraid.
(b) He is confident.
(c) He is assured of his own safety.
(d) He is terrified.
3. What emblem does John Gentian wear on his left lapel?
(a) A golden circle.
(b) A Masonic symbol.
(c) An army medal.
(d) Gold eagle wings.
4. How does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" feel about the storm before the salesman arrives?
(a) He thinks the storm is "radiant" and "beautiful."
(b) He thinks the storm is "terrifying."
(c) He thinks the storm "thought-provoking."
(d) He thinks the storm is "grand" and "glorious."
5. What famous person expressed a good opinion of the narrator of Bartleby?
(a) John D. Rockefeller.
(b) John Jacob Astor.
(c) Andrew Carnegie.
(d) Theodore Roosevelt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Steelkilt threaten to do if he is flogged by the captain?
2. Why does the Town-Ho's captain have to put the ship into port?
3. What first alerts Billy Budd that something is amiss?
4. What does the captain of the merchant ship say that Billy Budd had done for his crew?
5. Why does Billy Budd never suspect Claggart's malice?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)