|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22 - Billy Budd.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
(a) They call for help.
(b) They murder the captain.
(c) They desert the ship.
(d) They give up life on the sea.
2. How does the narrator of "The Apple-Tree Table" feel as his wife and daughters become more frightened?
(a) He feels worse.
(b) He feels braver.
(c) He feels numb.
(d) He feels more frightened than they.
3. How does Steelkilt respond to Radney's request that he sweep the deck?
(a) He quietly refuses.
(b) He loudly refuses.
(c) He complains loudly.
(d) He meekly obeys.
4. What was the message of the church meeting the narrator observed?
(a) "Hide not your light under a bushel."
(b) "Ye are the salt of the earth."
(c) "Repent and be saved."
(d) "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's."
5. Why was Bannadonna excused for the homicide he committed?
(a) It was accidental.
(b) It was done in self-defense.
(c) It was caused by esthetic passion.
(d) It was justifiable.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what sight in the city does Melville compare the islands of the Encantadas?
2. Why does Billy Budd never suspect Claggart's malice?
3. What loss of John Gentian's is noticed most on May thirtieth?
4. Why is the narrator of "The Two Temples" not allowed to enter the church?
5. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" decide never to leave home?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)