|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22 - Billy Budd.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
(a) They are strong and virtuous.
(b) They are sneaky and subtle.
(c) They are picturesquely wicked.
(d) They are mild and calm.
2. What causes Captain Delano to suspect Benito Cereno is an impostor?
(a) His weakness in command.
(b) His bad manners.
(c) His ignorance of seamanship.
(d) His confusion.
3. How does the lightning rod salesman feel about thunderstorms?
(a) He is assured of his own safety.
(b) He is relaxed and unafraid.
(c) He is confident.
(d) He is terrified.
4. What does Melville believe the charities of London do for the poor?
(a) The charities of London madden the poor.
(b) The charities of London embolden the poor.
(c) The charities of London soften the poor.
(d) The charities of London strengthen the poor.
5. What does the narrator in "The Paradise of Bachelors" say has become of the Knights Templar?
(a) They've become warriors.
(b) They've become doctors.
(c) They've become schoolteachers.
(d) They've become lawyers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the lightning rod salesman claim that his rods are superior?
2. What sort of feet did the apple-tree table have?
3. How long has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" worked on his invention?
4. How does the narrator of "The Piazza" travel to the spot in the mountains that he wants to see?
5. What happens to Billy Budd when he is under stress?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)