|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22 - Billy Budd.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What first alerts Billy Budd that something is amiss?
(a) Making lots of mistakes, he never gets in trouble.
(b) His tiny errors are routinely ignored.
(c) Trying hard to do everything right, he finds himself in trouble.
(d) He is publicly upbraided and mocked.
2. What does Billy Budd say about his family?
(a) He was a foundling.
(b) He was orphaned as a child.
(c) His father was a nobleman.
(d) His mother was a duchess.
3. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view locomotives and steamships?
(a) As symbols of human ingenuity.
(b) As uniters of families.
(c) As instruments of destruction.
(d) As harbingers of a bright future.
4. What do the Peruvian listeners force the storyteller to do to prove his story is true?
(a) Show some evidence.
(b) Produce another witness.
(c) Swear on the Bible.
(d) Cross his heart.
5. What office does Claggart hold aboard ship?
(d) Deck master.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Captain Delano evaluate Benito Cereno's condition when he first meets him?
2. What surprises the narrator when he goes to his office on a Sunday?
3. Why does the Town-Ho's captain have to put the ship into port?
4. Why does Billy Budd never suspect Claggart's malice?
5. What are the two failings the narrator sees in his middle-aged scrivener?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)