|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22 - Billy Budd.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator's middle-aged employee offer to do for Bartleby?
(a) Black his eyes.
(b) Fire him.
(c) Teach him manners.
(d) Teach him better work habits.
2. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
3. What do Steelkilt's three remaining conspirators decide to do to save themselves?
(a) Bind Steelkilt and give him to the captain.
(b) Sneak back to their posts.
(c) Support Steelkilt's mutiny.
(d) Kill Steelkilt.
4. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
(a) The rooster reminds him of a character in a play.
(b) The rooster reminds him of a character in a book.
(c) The rooster reminds him of his neighbor.
(d) The rooster reminds him of a song.
5. What surprises Captain Delano when he first sees Benito Cereno's ship?
(a) The ship is in ill repair.
(b) The ship is giving a distress signal.
(c) The ship doesn't fly the flag of any nation.
(d) The ship is bound for an uninhabited island.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose job is it to normally sweep the deck of a ship?
2. Why is the strange ship low on provisions?
3. What did a strange boy give the narrator in the theater?
4. What does the crew decide to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
5. How does the narrator of "The Piazza" travel to the spot in the mountains that he wants to see?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)