|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22 - Billy Budd.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect does the Marquis de Grandvin have on those around him?
(a) His presence is embarrassing.
(b) His presence is confusing.
(c) His presence is irritating.
(d) His presence is enriching.
2. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" identify with his chimney?
(a) They are both. the center of attention.
(b) They are both obese old smokers.
(c) They are both tall and handsome.
(d) They are both an annoyance to the household.
3. What does Billy Budd say about his family?
(a) His mother was a duchess.
(b) His father was a nobleman.
(c) He was orphaned as a child.
(d) He was a foundling.
4. Why does the Town-Ho's captain have to put the ship into port?
(a) There has been a mutiny on board.
(b) It has run out of supplies.
(c) Its crewmen are ill with scurvy.
(d) It has sprung a leak.
5. Why does John Gentian take "liberties with etiquette"?
(a) He is rude and thoughtless.
(b) He is straightforward and impulsive.
(c) He is concerned with larger issues.
(d) He is unlearned.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
2. What does the old mast-man call Claggart behind his back?
3. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
4. How does the narrator accommodate the weakness of his oldest scrivener?
5. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)