|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22 - Billy Budd.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jimmy Rose have to offer the rich after he lost his fortune?
2. What impresses the narrator about the mill?
(a) The efficiency of the operation.
(b) The clean air and water.
(c) The cheerfulness of the workers.
(d) The gigantic press machine.
3. What makes Moby Dick an unusual whale?
(a) He is unusually large, white, and vengeful.
(b) He is intelligent and communicates with people.
(c) He has supernatural powers.
(d) He is unusually small, white, and intelligent.
4. What do the maids work to produce?
5. What loss of John Gentian's is noticed most on May thirtieth?
(a) His limp.
(b) His missing ear.
(c) His empty sleeve.
(d) His blinded eye.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
2. What caused the loss of Jimmy Rose's fortune?
3. What office does Claggart hold aboard ship?
4. How does Melville describe Claggart's hatred of Billy Budd?
5. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)