|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) Silence and serenity.
(b) Solitude and desolation.
(c) Beauty and peace.
(d) Fascination and charm.
2. Who lives in the cottage that the narrator of "The Piazza" finds in the mountains?
(a) An orphaned brother and sister.
(b) A lonely widow.
(c) A newlywed husband and wife.
(d) No one.
3. What does Steelkilt threaten to do if he is flogged by the captain?
(a) Murder the captain.
(b) Seek an unnamed revenge.
(c) Tell the admiralty board of review.
(d) Jump overboard.
4. What impresses the narrator about the mill?
(a) The clean air and water.
(b) The gigantic press machine.
(c) The efficiency of the operation.
(d) The cheerfulness of the workers.
5. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view locomotives and steamships?
(a) As instruments of destruction.
(b) As symbols of human ingenuity.
(c) As harbingers of a bright future.
(d) As uniters of families.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does the onstage action in the London theater remind the narrator?
2. What previous employment had shaped Bartleby?
3. How is the narrator punished for sneaking into the church?
4. What quality of Bartleby's induces the narrator to hire him?
5. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)