|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Peruvian listeners force the storyteller to do to prove his story is true?
(a) Produce another witness.
(b) Swear on the Bible.
(c) Cross his heart.
(d) Show some evidence.
2. What loss of John Gentian's is noticed most on May thirtieth?
(a) His blinded eye.
(b) His missing ear.
(c) His empty sleeve.
(d) His limp.
3. To what did Captain Delano attribute the ship's being so long becalmed?
(a) Unusual weather.
(c) Poor seamanship.
(d) Bad luck.
4. Why does the lightning rod salesman claim that his rods are superior?
(a) They're made of iron.
(b) They're made of steel.
(c) They're made of magnesium.
(d) They're made of copper.
5. What has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" invented?
(a) A device for diverting rivers.
(b) A device for building dams.
(c) A device for draining swamps.
(d) A device for purifying water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the maids work to produce?
2. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
3. What does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe the rooster's crow is saying?
4. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
5. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
This section contains 214 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)