|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "Jimmy Rose" refuse to change the wallpaper in his parlor?
(a) It reminds him of his childhood.
(b) It reminds him of better days.
(c) It reminds him of Jimmy Rose.
(d) It reminds him or a rose garden.
2. What is the temperature at the mill?
(a) Oppressively hot.
3. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" identify with his chimney?
(a) They are both tall and handsome.
(b) They are both. the center of attention.
(c) They are both an annoyance to the household.
(d) They are both obese old smokers.
4. Why does the Town-Ho's captain have to put the ship into port?
(a) Its crewmen are ill with scurvy.
(b) It has sprung a leak.
(c) There has been a mutiny on board.
(d) It has run out of supplies.
5. What is Poor Man's Pudding?
(a) Flour, sugar, cinnamon, and milk.
(b) Rice, milk, and salt.
(c) Water, salt, and flour.
(d) Milk, eggs, and sugar.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Captain Delano view the attitude of the black people on board?
2. In "I and My Chimney," what is the narrator's wife's maxim?
3. What does the arrangement of the office allow Bartleby to do with the narrator?
4. What causes Captain Delano to suspect Benito Cereno is an impostor?
5. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)