|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator in "The Paradise of Bachelors" say has become of the Knights Templar?
(a) They've become lawyers.
(b) They've become warriors.
(c) They've become doctors.
(d) They've become schoolteachers.
2. What indicates to Captain Delano that the strange ship may be in trouble?
(a) The ship flies no flag.
(b) The ship seems uncertain of its direction.
(c) The ship is bound for an uninhabited island.
(d) The ship is giving a distress signal.
3. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" do with his manuscripts?
(a) Sends them to publishers.
(b) Reads them to strangers.
(c) Tears them up.
(d) Pays to have them printed.
4. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view locomotives and steamships?
(a) As uniters of families.
(b) As symbols of human ingenuity.
(c) As harbingers of a bright future.
(d) As instruments of destruction.
5. Who lives in the cottage that the narrator of "The Piazza" finds in the mountains?
(a) A lonely widow.
(b) An orphaned brother and sister.
(c) A newlywed husband and wife.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a scrivener do?
2. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
3. What causes Captain Delano to suspect Benito Cereno is an impostor?
4. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
5. Why is it hard to see the mill when coming upon it?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)