|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what alliteration does Melville describe the islands?
(a) Fruitful festival of fecundity.
(b) Dark, doleful doomsday.
(c) An archipelago of aridities.
(d) Extensive elegant exotica.
2. What did the failure of his invention do for the uncle in "The Happy Failure?"
(a) Made him furious.
(b) Made him disappointed.
(c) Made him a good man.
(d) Made him more determined.
3. What first attracts the narrator of "The Piazza" to a building far in the mountains?
(a) A rainbow ends there.
(b) It's exactly ninety degrees ahead of his piazza.
(c) The windows shine like gold.
(d) A river runs through it.
4. Why does Coulter come home for lunch?
(a) To rest a little while.
(b) To get exercise from the walk.
(c) To please his wife.
(d) To enjoy a hot meal.
5. Where does the narrator in The Town-Ho's story tell his tale?
(a) On the deck of the Town-Ho.
(b) On the deck of the Pequod.
(c) The Cape of Good Hope.
(d) Lima, Peru.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Moby Dick an unusual whale?
2. What good qualities does Bartleby have as an employee?
3. What human assumption does Melville say is the most preposterous?
4. How does the narrator accommodate the weakness of his oldest scrivener?
5. What is the narrator's condition when he goes to the theater in London?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)