|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
(a) They are strong and virtuous.
(b) They are sneaky and subtle.
(c) They are mild and calm.
(d) They are picturesquely wicked.
2. What emblem does John Gentian refuse to wear?
(a) Any Civil War emblem.
(b) Any Revolutionary War emblem.
(c) Any emblem of wealth.
(d) Any American flag.
3. Who lives in the cottage that the narrator of "The Piazza" finds in the mountains?
(a) No one.
(b) A lonely widow.
(c) An orphaned brother and sister.
(d) A newlywed husband and wife.
4. What emotion does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" say he has never felt since the rooster died?
(a) The silly slaphappiness.
(b) The warm contentment.
(c) The doleful dumps.
(d) The cheerful joys.
5. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
(c) Pine nuts.
(d) Ginger nuts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Hautboy lost in order to succeed?
2. On what holiday does John Gentian converse with passers-by?
3. What indicates to Captain Delano that the strange ship may be in trouble?
4. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
5. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)