|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
(a) They think Bartleby should be excused.
(b) They think Bartleby should be promoted.
(c) They think Bartleby should be forgiven.
(d) They think Bartleby should be fired.
2. Where do "'Gees" come from?
3. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
(a) It would be unfair.
(b) It would lead to a admiralty investigation.
(c) It would justify Radney's dishonorable actions.
(d) It would spark a mutiny.
4. What impresses the narrator about the mill?
(a) The clean air and water.
(b) The cheerfulness of the workers.
(c) The gigantic press machine.
(d) The efficiency of the operation.
5. Why is it hard to see the mill when coming upon it?
(a) The whole landscape is white.
(b) The mill's entrance is disguised by branches.
(c) The mill is painted to camouflage the entrance.
(d) The mill is hidden in a cave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
2. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
3. What does Bartleby's demeanor show about his eccentricities?
4. What does the arrangement of the office allow Bartleby to do with the narrator?
5. What effect does the Marquis de Grandvin have on those around him?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)