|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
(a) They murder the captain.
(b) They desert the ship.
(c) They call for help.
(d) They give up life on the sea.
2. What do Steelkilt and his men demand in return for obeying orders?
(a) They will be given better wages.
(b) Radney will be punished.
(c) They will not have to sweep the decks.
(d) They will not be punished.
3. What sentence was chalked below the figurehead?
(a) "Never follow."
(b) "Follow your leader."
(c) "Follow your faith."
(d) "Follow orders."
4. With what alliteration does Melville describe the islands?
(a) An archipelago of aridities.
(b) Extensive elegant exotica.
(c) Fruitful festival of fecundity.
(d) Dark, doleful doomsday.
5. What surprises Captain Delano when he first sees Benito Cereno's ship?
(a) The ship is in ill repair.
(b) The ship is bound for an uninhabited island.
(c) The ship is giving a distress signal.
(d) The ship doesn't fly the flag of any nation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it hard to see the mill when coming upon it?
2. What loss of John Gentian's is noticed most on May thirtieth?
3. Why had Jimmy Rose never married?
4. What previous employment had shaped Bartleby?
5. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)