|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
(a) Errand boy.
(b) Legal research.
2. What disease does Captain Delano learn has swept off much of the crew and cargo of slaves?
3. What does Melville believe the charities of London do for the poor?
(a) The charities of London strengthen the poor.
(b) The charities of London soften the poor.
(c) The charities of London embolden the poor.
(d) The charities of London madden the poor.
4. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
(a) Master of Chancery.
(b) County Coroner.
(c) Justice of the Peace.
5. Why does Coulter come home for lunch?
(a) To enjoy a hot meal.
(b) To rest a little while.
(c) To get exercise from the walk.
(d) To please his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the crew decide to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
2. Why does the narrator of "The Piazza" believe the soil is richer around the cottage that he finds?
3. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
4. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
5. How does the lightning rod salesman feel about thunderstorms?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)