|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What human assumption does Melville say is the most preposterous?
(a) Understanding of the rich by the poor.
(b) Criticism of the rich by the poor.
(c) Criticism of the poor by the rich.
(d) Understanding of the poor by the rich.
2. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
(a) He apologizes.
(b) He pays him promptly.
(c) He offers to double his payment.
(d) He throws him out.
3. How does Bartleby respond to the other employees?
(a) He thanks them.
(b) He emulates them.
(c) He resents them.
(d) He ignores them.
4. What indicates to Captain Delano that the strange ship may be in trouble?
(a) The ship seems uncertain of its direction.
(b) The ship flies no flag.
(c) The ship is bound for an uninhabited island.
(d) The ship is giving a distress signal.
5. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
(a) They call for help.
(b) They murder the captain.
(c) They desert the ship.
(d) They give up life on the sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator in The Town-Ho's story tell his tale?
2. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" identify with his chimney?
3. Why was Bannadonna excused for the homicide he committed?
4. How does Captain Delano view the attitude of the black people on board?
5. Why does the narrator of "The Piazza" feel that the house must have a piazza?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)