|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
(a) It would justify Radney's dishonorable actions.
(b) It would spark a mutiny.
(c) It would lead to a admiralty investigation.
(d) It would be unfair.
2. What does Melville hope to do for the Marquis de Grandvin?
(a) Make him famous.
(b) Make him happy.
(c) Make him rich.
(d) Make him immortal.
3. What surprises the narrator when he goes to his office on a Sunday?
(a) Bartleby has been living there.
(b) Bartleby has invited friends to the office.
(c) Bartleby has stolen his things.
(d) Bartleby has been working on the weekend.
4. What previous employment had shaped Bartleby?
(a) Working in a morgue.
(b) Working as a court reporter.
(c) Working in a dead letter office.
(d) Working on a locomotive.
5. Why does Coulter come home for lunch?
(a) To enjoy a hot meal.
(b) To please his wife.
(c) To rest a little while.
(d) To get exercise from the walk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did buccaneers leave on the islands that Melville claims is proof of their better traits?
2. What caused the loss of Jimmy Rose's fortune?
3. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
4. What do Steelkilt and his men demand in return for obeying orders?
5. What is unusual about the pork at the Coulters' dinner table?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)