|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" invented?
(a) A device for building dams.
(b) A device for draining swamps.
(c) A device for diverting rivers.
(d) A device for purifying water.
2. What does the arrangement of the office allow Bartleby to do with the narrator?
(a) Both see and hear him.
(b) See him but not hear him.
(c) Neither see him nor hear him.
(d) Hear him but not see him.
3. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
(a) They call for help.
(b) They give up life on the sea.
(c) They murder the captain.
(d) They desert the ship.
4. To what did Captain Delano attribute Benito Cereno's ineffectiveness as captain?
(a) Cruelty, harshness, and unkindness.
(b) Ignorance, pride, and stubbornness.
(c) Foolhardy disregard for good advice.
(d) Youth, sickness, and gentility.
5. What is unusual about the pork at the Coulters' dinner table?
(a) It is only hides.
(b) It is not really pork.
(c) It is only fat and gristle.
(d) It is last year's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe the rooster's crow is saying?
2. What does Benito Cereno say has happened to his partner, Alexandro Aranda?
3. What did a strange boy give the narrator in the theater?
4. What does the narrator's wife think of his apprehension about the apple-tree table?
5. What famous person expressed a good opinion of the narrator of Bartleby?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)