|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does the onstage action in the London theater remind the narrator?
(a) The theater at home on Broadway.
(b) The church service he had watched from the bell tower.
(c) His own childhood.
(d) The curmudgeonly landlady at his boarding house.
2. What does Benito Cereno say has happened to his partner, Alexandro Aranda?
(a) He left the ship at the last port.
(b) He died of fever.
(c) He was murdered.
(d) He fell overboard.
3. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) Fascination and charm.
(b) Silence and serenity.
(c) Solitude and desolation.
(d) Beauty and peace.
4. Where do both the captain and Steelkilt go after they separate?
5. What does the narrator in "The Paradise of Bachelors" say has become of the Knights Templar?
(a) They've become warriors.
(b) They've become doctors.
(c) They've become schoolteachers.
(d) They've become lawyers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Melville believe the charities of London do for the poor?
2. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
3. Where does the narrator in The Town-Ho's story tell his tale?
4. Why is it hard to see the mill when coming upon it?
5. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)