|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emblem does John Gentian wear on his left lapel?
(a) An army medal.
(b) Gold eagle wings.
(c) A golden circle.
(d) A Masonic symbol.
2. What happens to the rooster when the Merrymusk family dies?
(a) The rooster goes home with the narrator.
(b) The rooster dies too.
(c) The rooster crows on the graves.
(d) The rooster is sold for five hundred dollars.
3. Why is Captain Delano glad he was not astute enough to recognize the mutiny?
(a) He would have been killed without helping Benito Cereno.
(b) He would have lost faith in mankind.
(c) He would not have known what to do.
(d) He would have sacrificed his own crew.
4. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
(b) Legal research.
(d) Errand boy.
5. What caused the loss of Jimmy Rose's fortune?
(a) His overly generous dealings.
(b) The stock market crash.
(c) Duplicitous dealings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator's middle-aged employee offer to do for Bartleby?
2. What mythical character does the narrator say would have failed at his task if the chimney had then been in existence?
3. What part of the United States does the narrator of the Town-Ho's story claim is much like the sea?
4. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
5. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)