|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who lives in the cottage that the narrator of "The Piazza" finds in the mountains?
(a) An orphaned brother and sister.
(b) A lonely widow.
(c) No one.
(d) A newlywed husband and wife.
2. What happens to the rooster when the Merrymusk family dies?
(a) The rooster goes home with the narrator.
(b) The rooster crows on the graves.
(c) The rooster is sold for five hundred dollars.
(d) The rooster dies too.
3. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
(a) Doubts the other person.
(b) Questions his own mind.
(c) Acquiesces out of courtesy.
(d) Digs in his heels.
4. What do the Peruvian listeners force the storyteller to do to prove his story is true?
(a) Swear on the Bible.
(b) Show some evidence.
(c) Produce another witness.
(d) Cross his heart.
5. How does Captain Delano evaluate Babo when he first meets him?
(a) Captain Delano evalutes Babo as vaguely threatening.
(b) Captain Delano evaluates Babo as woefully ignorant.
(c) Captain Delano evalutes Babo as a devoted companion.
(d) Captain Delano evaluates Babo as uncomfortably familiar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Melville hope to do for the Marquis de Grandvin?
2. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
3. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
4. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
5. How does the narrator accommodate the weakness of his oldest scrivener?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)