|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was John Marr wounded?
(a) Falling from a ship's rigging.
(b) Fighting with pirates.
(d) Fighting in the War of 1812.
2. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
(a) The table is inscribed with signs and symbols.
(b) The table is old.
(c) The table is unusually beautiful.
(d) The table is Satanic-looking.
3. What emotion does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" say he has never felt since the rooster died?
(a) The silly slaphappiness.
(b) The cheerful joys.
(c) The doleful dumps.
(d) The warm contentment.
4. To what sight in the city does Melville compare the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) A pile of trash.
(b) A pile of leaves.
(c) A pile of rocks.
(d) A pile of cinders.
5. What does a scrivener do?
(a) Records testimony in court.
(b) Makes copies of legal documents.
(c) Organizes court records.
(d) Researches legal precedents.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the narrator punished for sneaking into the church?
2. Why had Jimmy Rose never married?
3. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
4. What emblem does John Gentian wear on his left lapel?
5. How does Captain Delano evaluate Benito Cereno's condition when he first meets him?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)