|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12 - Benito Cereno.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the lightning rod salesman claim that his rods are superior?
(a) They're made of magnesium.
(b) They're made of copper.
(c) They're made of iron.
(d) They're made of steel.
2. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) Silence and serenity.
(b) Fascination and charm.
(c) Solitude and desolation.
(d) Beauty and peace.
3. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
(a) A Bolivian pirate.
(b) A Creole soldier.
(c) A Peruvian king.
(d) A Chilean adventurer.
4. What was the message of the church meeting the narrator observed?
(a) "Hide not your light under a bushel."
(b) "Ye are the salt of the earth."
(c) "Repent and be saved."
(d) "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's."
5. What did buccaneers leave on the islands that Melville claims is proof of their better traits?
(a) Buried treasure.
(b) Carved stone furniture.
(c) Planted orchards.
(d) Planted gardens.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
2. How much does the uncle in "The Happy Failure" think his invention is worth?
3. How does Captain Delano view the attitude of the black people on board?
4. What caused the bell-ringing automaton to kill Bannadonna?
5. How does Melville describe pelicans?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)