|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12 - Benito Cereno.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view the world?
(a) Full of sunshine, flowers, and rainbows.
(b) Full of casualties, despotism, and knocks on the head.
(c) Full of dangers, snares, and delusions.
(d) Full of puzzles, traps, and confusion.
2. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
(a) He apologizes.
(b) He throws him out.
(c) He offers to double his payment.
(d) He pays him promptly.
3. What does Benito Cereno say has happened to his partner, Alexandro Aranda?
(a) He fell overboard.
(b) He left the ship at the last port.
(c) He died of fever.
(d) He was murdered.
4. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) Solitude and desolation.
(b) Beauty and peace.
(c) Fascination and charm.
(d) Silence and serenity.
5. What does a scrivener do?
(a) Organizes court records.
(b) Makes copies of legal documents.
(c) Records testimony in court.
(d) Researches legal precedents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the message of the church meeting the narrator observed?
2. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
3. What emotion does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" say he has never felt since the rooster died?
4. What age is the narrator of Bartleby?
5. Why is Captain Delano glad he was not astute enough to recognize the mutiny?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)