|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12 - Benito Cereno.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Melville describe pelicans?
(a) Modest and humble.
(b) Elegant and streamlined.
(c) Clever and complicated.
(d) Woebegone and penitential.
2. What is Poor Man's Pudding?
(a) Flour, sugar, cinnamon, and milk.
(b) Rice, milk, and salt.
(c) Water, salt, and flour.
(d) Milk, eggs, and sugar.
3. What does Melville say is the most populous species on the island of Albermarle?
4. What habit of the bachelors in the Temple does the narrator wish to introduce in his own country?
(b) Mulled wine.
5. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
(a) He is a hospitable, generous man.
(b) His creditor is a grumpy person.
(c) His debt was unfairly imposed.
(d) His interest payments are exorbitant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Peruvian listeners force the storyteller to do to prove his story is true?
2. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
3. What overcomes Captain Delano's criticism of Benito Cereno?
4. What does Steelkilt threaten to do if he is flogged by the captain?
5. What disease does Captain Delano learn has swept off much of the crew and cargo of slaves?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)