|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12 - Benito Cereno.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had Hautboy lost in order to succeed?
2. How long has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" worked on his invention?
(a) All month.
(b) All year.
(c) Three months.
(d) Ten years.
3. How does Captain Delano view the attitude of the black people on board?
(a) The black people seem to Captain Delano to be cheerful and content.
(b) The black people seem to Captain Delano to be competent and well-trained.
(c) The black people seem to Captain Delano to be insubordinate.
(d) The black people seem to Captain Delano to be cringing and fearful.
4. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) Silence and serenity.
(b) Beauty and peace.
(c) Fascination and charm.
(d) Solitude and desolation.
5. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
(a) The penguin.
(b) The walrus.
(c) The cormorant.
(d) The bat.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Captain Delano evaluate Babo when he first meets him?
2. What is unusual about the pork at the Coulters' dinner table?
3. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
4. Whose job is it to normally sweep the deck of a ship?
5. How is the narrator punished for sneaking into the church?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)