|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12 - Benito Cereno.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't the narrator dismiss Bartleby for insubordination?
(a) Bartleby is calm, showing no emotion.
(b) Bartleby is obviously emotionally upset.
(c) Bartleby is distressed.
(d) Bartleby promises to improve.
2. With what weapon does Radney threaten Steelkilt?
(a) A hammer.
(b) A rope.
(c) A knife.
(d) A gun.
3. What do Steelkilt and his men demand in return for obeying orders?
(a) They will be given better wages.
(b) They will not have to sweep the decks.
(c) They will not be punished.
(d) Radney will be punished.
4. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
(a) The bat.
(b) The walrus.
(c) The penguin.
(d) The cormorant.
5. What is the narrator's condition when he goes to the theater in London?
(a) He is well-fed and relaxed.
(b) He is comfortable and among friends.
(c) He is broke and alone.
(d) He is bored and overfed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" feel about the storm before the salesman arrives?
2. What had Hautboy lost in order to succeed?
3. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
4. With what alliteration does Melville describe the islands?
5. What does the crew decide not to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)