|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12 - Benito Cereno.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
(a) Digs in his heels.
(b) Acquiesces out of courtesy.
(c) Doubts the other person.
(d) Questions his own mind.
2. What does Blandmour believe God does for the poor?
(a) God gives the poor everything they need for free.
(b) God gives the poor very little help.
(c) God charges the rich to care for the poor.
(d) God gives the poor the challenges they need.
3. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
(a) The walrus.
(b) The penguin.
(c) The bat.
(d) The cormorant.
4. What surprises the narrator when he goes to his office on a Sunday?
(a) Bartleby has invited friends to the office.
(b) Bartleby has stolen his things.
(c) Bartleby has been living there.
(d) Bartleby has been working on the weekend.
5. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
(a) Ginger nuts.
(b) Pine nuts.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
2. What does the crew decide not to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
3. How much does the uncle in "The Happy Failure" think his invention is worth?
4. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
5. What is Poor Man's Pudding?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)