|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12 - Benito Cereno.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" do with his manuscripts?
(a) Tears them up.
(b) Sends them to publishers.
(c) Pays to have them printed.
(d) Reads them to strangers.
2. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
(a) Sea life is "quietly Christian."
(b) Sea life is "calm and pure."
(c) Sea life is "reckless and barbaric."
(d) Sea life is "daring and brave."
3. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
(a) His creditor is a grumpy person.
(b) His interest payments are exorbitant.
(c) He is a hospitable, generous man.
(d) His debt was unfairly imposed.
4. What does Melville say is the most populous species on the island of Albermarle?
5. How does the narrator accommodate the weakness of his oldest scrivener?
(a) By hiring an assistant for him.
(b) By allowing him to work only half a day.
(c) By giving him unimportant papers in the morning.
(d) By giving him unimportant papers in the afternoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator in The Town-Ho's story tell his tale?
2. Who is Atufal?
3. Why does the Town-Ho's captain have to put the ship into port?
4. How does Captain Delano evaluate Babo when he first meets him?
5. What emotion does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" say he has never felt since the rooster died?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)