|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12 - Benito Cereno.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
(a) Sea life is "quietly Christian."
(b) Sea life is "reckless and barbaric."
(c) Sea life is "calm and pure."
(d) Sea life is "daring and brave."
2. What has Hautboy accomplished in "The Fiddler?"
(a) Hautboy has become rich.
(b) Hautboy has become famous.
(c) Hautboy has learned to be happy.
(d) Hautboy has developed great technical proficiency.
3. Why was Bannadonna excused for the homicide he committed?
(a) It was accidental.
(b) It was done in self-defense.
(c) It was caused by esthetic passion.
(d) It was justifiable.
4. How does Melville describe pelicans?
(a) Elegant and streamlined.
(b) Woebegone and penitential.
(c) Clever and complicated.
(d) Modest and humble.
5. What animal from the islands supplies sailors with food and utensils?
(a) The tortoise.
(b) The iguana.
(c) The albatross.
(d) The seal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
2. To what did Captain Delano attribute Benito Cereno's ineffectiveness as captain?
3. How does Steelkilt respond to Radney's request that he sweep the deck?
4. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
5. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)