|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12 - Benito Cereno.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
(a) A Bolivian pirate.
(b) A Chilean adventurer.
(c) A Creole soldier.
(d) A Peruvian king.
2. What caused the bell-ringing automaton to kill Bannadonna?
(a) A manufacturing error.
(b) A design flaw.
(c) An unrepaired defect.
3. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
(a) Legal research.
(d) Errand boy.
4. What human assumption does Melville say is the most preposterous?
(a) Criticism of the poor by the rich.
(b) Understanding of the rich by the poor.
(c) Criticism of the rich by the poor.
(d) Understanding of the poor by the rich.
5. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
(a) Sea life is "quietly Christian."
(b) Sea life is "calm and pure."
(c) Sea life is "daring and brave."
(d) Sea life is "reckless and barbaric."
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the American ship, the Essex, see in the Encantadas?
2. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
3. What disease does Captain Delano learn has swept off much of the crew and cargo of slaves?
4. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
5. Who are Pedro and Sebastian in The Town-Ho's Story?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)