|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12 - Benito Cereno.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what did Captain Delano attribute the ship's being so long becalmed?
(a) Poor seamanship.
(b) Bad luck.
(c) Unusual weather.
2. Why is Captain Delano glad he was not astute enough to recognize the mutiny?
(a) He would have been killed without helping Benito Cereno.
(b) He would not have known what to do.
(c) He would have sacrificed his own crew.
(d) He would have lost faith in mankind.
3. What has Hautboy accomplished in "The Fiddler?"
(a) Hautboy has become famous.
(b) Hautboy has developed great technical proficiency.
(c) Hautboy has learned to be happy.
(d) Hautboy has become rich.
4. Why doesn't the narrator dismiss Bartleby for insubordination?
(a) Bartleby promises to improve.
(b) Bartleby is distressed.
(c) Bartleby is obviously emotionally upset.
(d) Bartleby is calm, showing no emotion.
5. How does the narrator get into the London theater presentation?
(a) He pawns his overcoat to buy a ticket.
(b) He sneaks in a side door.
(c) He finds a ticket on the sidewalk.
(d) A stranger gives him a ticket.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the American ship, the Essex, see in the Encantadas?
2. How does Captain Delano evaluate Benito Cereno's condition when he first meets him?
3. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
4. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
5. Why is the strange ship low on provisions?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)