|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12 - Benito Cereno.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Captain Delano glad he was not astute enough to recognize the mutiny?
(a) He would have been killed without helping Benito Cereno.
(b) He would have lost faith in mankind.
(c) He would not have known what to do.
(d) He would have sacrificed his own crew.
2. What has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" invented?
(a) A device for purifying water.
(b) A device for diverting rivers.
(c) A device for building dams.
(d) A device for draining swamps.
3. What does Benito Cereno say has happened to his partner, Alexandro Aranda?
(a) He died of fever.
(b) He left the ship at the last port.
(c) He was murdered.
(d) He fell overboard.
4. What does Steelkilt threaten to do if he is flogged by the captain?
(a) Murder the captain.
(b) Jump overboard.
(c) Tell the admiralty board of review.
(d) Seek an unnamed revenge.
5. What part of the United States does the narrator of the Town-Ho's story claim is much like the sea?
(a) The Great Lakes region.
(b) Lake Tahoe.
(c) The Mississippi.
(d) The Erie Canal.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what did Captain Delano attribute the ship's being so long becalmed?
2. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view locomotives and steamships?
3. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
4. What does Bartleby's demeanor show about his eccentricities?
5. What good qualities does Bartleby have as an employee?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)