|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12 - Benito Cereno.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Captain Delano when he first sees Benito Cereno's ship?
(a) The ship is in ill repair.
(b) The ship doesn't fly the flag of any nation.
(c) The ship is bound for an uninhabited island.
(d) The ship is giving a distress signal.
2. What do the Peruvian listeners force the storyteller to do to prove his story is true?
(a) Show some evidence.
(b) Swear on the Bible.
(c) Cross his heart.
(d) Produce another witness.
3. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
(a) Bartleby is relentlessly cheerful.
(b) Bartleby is only occasionally industrious.
(c) Bartleby is not cheerful.
(d) Bartleby is frighteningly mechanical.
4. What did a strange boy give the narrator in the theater?
(a) An unexpected smile.
(b) A cup of ale.
(c) A cake of barley.
(d) A cup of coffee.
5. What part of the United States does the narrator of the Town-Ho's story claim is much like the sea?
(a) Lake Tahoe.
(b) The Mississippi.
(c) The Great Lakes region.
(d) The Erie Canal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
2. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
3. Where do both the captain and Steelkilt go after they separate?
4. What surprises the narrator when he goes to his office on a Sunday?
5. Why does Radney dislike Steelkilt?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)