|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12 - Benito Cereno.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Melville describe Captain Delano's personality?
(a) Pessimistic and unhappy.
(b) Autocratic and dictatorial.
(c) Trusting and benevolent.
(d) Mistrustful and suspicious.
2. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
(a) He pays him promptly.
(b) He apologizes.
(c) He offers to double his payment.
(d) He throws him out.
3. Why was Bannadonna excused for the homicide he committed?
(a) It was caused by esthetic passion.
(b) It was done in self-defense.
(c) It was justifiable.
(d) It was accidental.
4. What was the message of the church meeting the narrator observed?
(a) "Repent and be saved."
(b) "Hide not your light under a bushel."
(c) "Ye are the salt of the earth."
(d) "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's."
5. What does Bartleby's demeanor show about his eccentricities?
(a) They are unimportant.
(b) They are involuntary.
(c) They are voluntary.
(d) They are important.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Hautboy accomplished in "The Fiddler?"
2. How does Captain Delano view the attitude of the black people on board?
3. How is the narrator punished for sneaking into the church?
4. What is the temperature at the mill?
5. Why is the narrator of "The Two Temples" not allowed to enter the church?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)