|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12 - Benito Cereno.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it hard to see the mill when coming upon it?
(a) The mill's entrance is disguised by branches.
(b) The mill is painted to camouflage the entrance.
(c) The whole landscape is white.
(d) The mill is hidden in a cave.
2. Of what does the onstage action in the London theater remind the narrator?
(a) His own childhood.
(b) The theater at home on Broadway.
(c) The church service he had watched from the bell tower.
(d) The curmudgeonly landlady at his boarding house.
3. What did a strange boy give the narrator in the theater?
(a) A cup of ale.
(b) An unexpected smile.
(c) A cake of barley.
(d) A cup of coffee.
4. What does a scrivener do?
(a) Records testimony in court.
(b) Organizes court records.
(c) Makes copies of legal documents.
(d) Researches legal precedents.
5. How does Melville describe Captain Delano's personality?
(a) Trusting and benevolent.
(b) Mistrustful and suspicious.
(c) Autocratic and dictatorial.
(d) Pessimistic and unhappy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose job is it to normally sweep the deck of a ship?
2. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
3. What impresses the narrator about the mill?
4. What did buccaneers leave on the islands that Melville claims is proof of their better traits?
5. What causes Captain Delano to suspect Benito Cereno is an impostor?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)