|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12 - Benito Cereno.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
(a) They think Bartleby should be promoted.
(b) They think Bartleby should be forgiven.
(c) They think Bartleby should be excused.
(d) They think Bartleby should be fired.
2. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
(a) Bartleby is frighteningly mechanical.
(b) Bartleby is not cheerful.
(c) Bartleby is only occasionally industrious.
(d) Bartleby is relentlessly cheerful.
3. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
(a) Chicken, Rooster, and Cluck.
(b) Turkey, Nippers, and Ginger Nut.
(c) Grandpa, Grumpy, and The Kid.
(d) Chompers, Grumpy, and Short Stuff.
4. What part of the United States does the narrator of the Town-Ho's story claim is much like the sea?
(a) The Mississippi.
(b) Lake Tahoe.
(c) The Great Lakes region.
(d) The Erie Canal.
5. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
(a) They call for help.
(b) They give up life on the sea.
(c) They murder the captain.
(d) They desert the ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what did Captain Delano attribute Benito Cereno's ineffectiveness as captain?
2. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
3. What do Steelkilt and his men demand in return for obeying orders?
4. How does the narrator get into the London theater presentation?
5. What does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe the rooster's crow is saying?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)