|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12 - Benito Cereno.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
(a) Originate a copy.
(b) Compare a copy with its original.
(c) Copy a comparison of an original.
(d) Go for coffee.
2. How does Merrymusk convince the narrator that he is a rich man?
(a) He has a large tract of land.
(b) He has a rooster worth five hundred dollars.
(c) He has a barn full of hay.
(d) He has a large family.
3. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
(a) Billy Budd.
(c) The Confidence Man.
(d) Moby Dick.
4. What did the American ship, the Essex, see in the Encantadas?
(a) An enchanted ship.
(b) An English ship.
(c) A ghost ship.
(d) A pirate ship.
5. Why is it hard to see the mill when coming upon it?
(a) The mill is hidden in a cave.
(b) The mill is painted to camouflage the entrance.
(c) The mill's entrance is disguised by branches.
(d) The whole landscape is white.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Steelkilt's three remaining conspirators decide to do to save themselves?
2. How does Bartleby respond to the other employees?
3. How does the narrator of "The Two Temples" attend the meeting at the church?
4. How does Melville describe pelicans?
5. What makes Moby Dick an unusual whale?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)