|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12 - Benito Cereno.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
(a) Bartleby is frighteningly mechanical.
(b) Bartleby is not cheerful.
(c) Bartleby is relentlessly cheerful.
(d) Bartleby is only occasionally industrious.
2. What does the crew decide not to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
(a) Obey the captain.
(b) Desert together.
(c) Call out when whales were sighted.
(d) Start a mutiny.
3. What sentence was chalked below the figurehead?
(a) "Follow your faith."
(b) "Follow orders."
(c) "Follow your leader."
(d) "Never follow."
4. How much does the uncle in "The Happy Failure" think his invention is worth?
(a) More than gold.
(b) More than his house.
(c) More than silver.
(d) More than a life's work.
5. What is the attitude of the bachelors in the Temple toward pain and trouble?
(a) Pain and trouble are unavoidable.
(b) Pain and trouble are for other people.
(c) Pain and trouble are nonexistent.
(d) Pain and trouble are everywhere.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator in "The Paradise of Bachelors" say has become of the Knights Templar?
2. What causes Captain Delano to suspect Benito Cereno is an impostor?
3. How does the narrator get into the London theater presentation?
4. What object does the lookout spot that takes Melville's ship to Norfolk Isle?
5. What does Blandmour believe God does for the poor?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)