|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12 - Benito Cereno.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the temperature at the mill?
(b) Oppressively hot.
2. With what alliteration does Melville describe the islands?
(a) Fruitful festival of fecundity.
(b) Dark, doleful doomsday.
(c) Extensive elegant exotica.
(d) An archipelago of aridities.
3. What surprises Captain Delano when he first sees Benito Cereno's ship?
(a) The ship is in ill repair.
(b) The ship is giving a distress signal.
(c) The ship doesn't fly the flag of any nation.
(d) The ship is bound for an uninhabited island.
4. What impresses the narrator about the mill?
(a) The efficiency of the operation.
(b) The cheerfulness of the workers.
(c) The gigantic press machine.
(d) The clean air and water.
5. What is unusual about the pork at the Coulters' dinner table?
(a) It is last year's.
(b) It is only hides.
(c) It is not really pork.
(d) It is only fat and gristle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator's condition when he goes to the theater in London?
2. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
3. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
4. What do Steelkilt's three remaining conspirators decide to do to save themselves?
5. What indicates to Captain Delano that the strange ship may be in trouble?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)