|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12 - Benito Cereno.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
(b) Tax accountant.
2. How much does the uncle in "The Happy Failure" think his invention is worth?
(a) More than his house.
(b) More than silver.
(c) More than gold.
(d) More than a life's work.
3. How do the bachelors in the Temple keep time?
(a) By the jokes they told.
(b) By the courses of the meal.
(c) By the wine they drank.
(d) By their reminiscences.
4. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
(a) Originate a copy.
(b) Compare a copy with its original.
(c) Go for coffee.
(d) Copy a comparison of an original.
5. What quality of Bartleby's induces the narrator to hire him?
(a) Bartleby is friendly.
(b) Bartleby is sedate.
(c) Bartleby is efficient.
(d) Bartleby is energetic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Melville believe the charities of London do for the poor?
2. What is the temperature at the mill?
3. How does the narrator of "The Two Temples" attend the meeting at the church?
4. What does Melville say is the most populous species on the island of Albermarle?
5. What sentence was chalked below the figurehead?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)