|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12 - Benito Cereno.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Atufal?
(a) A chained slave.
(b) A leader of the slaves.
(c) Babo's best friend.
(d) A complaining woman among the slaves.
2. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view locomotives and steamships?
(a) As harbingers of a bright future.
(b) As symbols of human ingenuity.
(c) As uniters of families.
(d) As instruments of destruction.
3. What human assumption does Melville say is the most preposterous?
(a) Criticism of the poor by the rich.
(b) Criticism of the rich by the poor.
(c) Understanding of the poor by the rich.
(d) Understanding of the rich by the poor.
4. With what weapon does Radney threaten Steelkilt?
(a) A hammer.
(b) A gun.
(c) A rope.
(d) A knife.
5. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
(a) A theocracy.
(b) A riotocracy.
(c) A monarchy.
(d) A democracy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
2. What is the attitude of the bachelors in the Temple toward pain and trouble?
3. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
4. What does the narrator's middle-aged employee offer to do for Bartleby?
5. Of what does the onstage action in the London theater remind the narrator?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)