|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12 - Benito Cereno.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
(a) They call for help.
(b) They give up life on the sea.
(c) They murder the captain.
(d) They desert the ship.
2. What human assumption does Melville say is the most preposterous?
(a) Understanding of the rich by the poor.
(b) Criticism of the poor by the rich.
(c) Criticism of the rich by the poor.
(d) Understanding of the poor by the rich.
3. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
(a) Bartleby's friendship.
(c) The approval of his employees.
(d) The approval of his peers.
4. What god does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" think the salesman resembles?
5. What is unusual about the pork at the Coulters' dinner table?
(a) It is last year's.
(b) It is only fat and gristle.
(c) It is only hides.
(d) It is not really pork.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
2. What does the crew decide not to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
3. How does Bartleby respond to the other employees?
4. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
5. What is the attitude of the bachelors in the Temple toward pain and trouble?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)