|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12 - Benito Cereno.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe the rooster's crow is saying?
(d) Glory be to God in the highest!
2. How much does the uncle in "The Happy Failure" think his invention is worth?
(a) More than his house.
(b) More than a life's work.
(c) More than gold.
(d) More than silver.
3. How does the narrator of "The Two Temples" attend the meeting at the church?
(a) He sneaks into the foyer.
(b) He bribes the man who guards the door.
(c) He hides in the bell tower.
(d) He disguises himself as the bell ringer.
4. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
(b) Errand boy.
(d) Legal research.
5. What do the Peruvian listeners force the storyteller to do to prove his story is true?
(a) Produce another witness.
(b) Show some evidence.
(c) Cross his heart.
(d) Swear on the Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
2. To what did Captain Delano attribute Benito Cereno's ineffectiveness as captain?
3. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
4. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
5. What part of the United States does the narrator of the Town-Ho's story claim is much like the sea?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)