|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the crew decide to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
(a) Murder Radney.
(b) Obey the captain.
(c) Start a mutiny.
(d) Desert together.
2. With what weapon does Radney threaten Steelkilt?
(a) A rope.
(b) A gun.
(c) A knife.
(d) A hammer.
3. What does Melville believe the charities of London do for the poor?
(a) The charities of London madden the poor.
(b) The charities of London embolden the poor.
(c) The charities of London soften the poor.
(d) The charities of London strengthen the poor.
4. Why doesn't the narrator dismiss Bartleby for insubordination?
(a) Bartleby is distressed.
(b) Bartleby is calm, showing no emotion.
(c) Bartleby is obviously emotionally upset.
(d) Bartleby promises to improve.
5. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
(a) They call for help.
(b) They give up life on the sea.
(c) They murder the captain.
(d) They desert the ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
2. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
3. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
4. What part of the United States does the narrator of the Town-Ho's story claim is much like the sea?
5. What object does the lookout spot that takes Melville's ship to Norfolk Isle?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)