|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
(a) Turkey, Nippers, and Ginger Nut.
(b) Chicken, Rooster, and Cluck.
(c) Chompers, Grumpy, and Short Stuff.
(d) Grandpa, Grumpy, and The Kid.
2. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
(a) A Creole soldier.
(b) A Bolivian pirate.
(c) A Peruvian king.
(d) A Chilean adventurer.
3. Why does Coulter come home for lunch?
(a) To rest a little while.
(b) To get exercise from the walk.
(c) To enjoy a hot meal.
(d) To please his wife.
4. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
(a) The walrus.
(b) The bat.
(c) The penguin.
(d) The cormorant.
5. How much does the uncle in "The Happy Failure" think his invention is worth?
(a) More than silver.
(b) More than a life's work.
(c) More than his house.
(d) More than gold.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the captain decide not to flog Steelkilt?
2. What does Bartleby's demeanor show about his eccentricities?
3. What does Melville say is the most populous species on the island of Albermarle?
4. What is the narrator's condition when he goes to the theater in London?
5. What has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" invented?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)