|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Melville believe the charities of London do for the poor?
(a) The charities of London embolden the poor.
(b) The charities of London soften the poor.
(c) The charities of London strengthen the poor.
(d) The charities of London madden the poor.
2. What does Steelkilt threaten to do if he is flogged by the captain?
(a) Tell the admiralty board of review.
(b) Jump overboard.
(c) Seek an unnamed revenge.
(d) Murder the captain.
3. How does the narrator get into the London theater presentation?
(a) He sneaks in a side door.
(b) A stranger gives him a ticket.
(c) He pawns his overcoat to buy a ticket.
(d) He finds a ticket on the sidewalk.
4. How does Melville describe pelicans?
(a) Clever and complicated.
(b) Elegant and streamlined.
(c) Woebegone and penitential.
(d) Modest and humble.
5. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
(d) Tax accountant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
2. What quality of Bartleby's induces the narrator to hire him?
3. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
4. What does Bartleby's demeanor show about his eccentricities?
5. What previous employment had shaped Bartleby?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)