|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator's middle-aged employee offer to do for Bartleby?
(a) Black his eyes.
(b) Fire him.
(c) Teach him manners.
(d) Teach him better work habits.
2. What age is the narrator of Bartleby?
(a) In his fifties.
(b) In his forties.
(c) In his sixties.
(d) In his thirties.
3. What surprises the narrator when he goes to his office on a Sunday?
(a) Bartleby has stolen his things.
(b) Bartleby has invited friends to the office.
(c) Bartleby has been working on the weekend.
(d) Bartleby has been living there.
4. What action does Steelkilt determine to take after being locked in the hold?
(a) He will kill Radney.
(b) He will apologize.
(c) He will kill the captain.
(d) He will seize the ship.
5. What does the crew decide to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
(a) Obey the captain.
(b) Desert together.
(c) Murder Radney.
(d) Start a mutiny.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
2. What famous person expressed a good opinion of the narrator of Bartleby?
3. With what alliteration does Melville describe the islands?
4. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
5. What does Bartleby's demeanor show about his eccentricities?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)