|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
(a) Bartleby's friendship.
(b) The approval of his peers.
(c) The approval of his employees.
2. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
(a) They give up life on the sea.
(b) They murder the captain.
(c) They call for help.
(d) They desert the ship.
3. What was the message of the church meeting the narrator observed?
(a) "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's."
(b) "Hide not your light under a bushel."
(c) "Ye are the salt of the earth."
(d) "Repent and be saved."
4. To what sight in the city does Melville compare the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) A pile of rocks.
(b) A pile of trash.
(c) A pile of leaves.
(d) A pile of cinders.
5. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
(a) Pine nuts.
(b) Ginger nuts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did a strange boy give the narrator in the theater?
2. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
3. What does a scrivener do?
4. What surprises the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" about the owner of the rooster?
5. With what alliteration does Melville describe the islands?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)