|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what sight in the city does Melville compare the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) A pile of leaves.
(b) A pile of cinders.
(c) A pile of trash.
(d) A pile of rocks.
2. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
3. Where does the narrator in The Town-Ho's story tell his tale?
(a) On the deck of the Town-Ho.
(b) On the deck of the Pequod.
(c) Lima, Peru.
(d) The Cape of Good Hope.
4. What does the crew decide to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
(a) Start a mutiny.
(b) Desert together.
(c) Obey the captain.
(d) Murder Radney.
5. How does Steelkilt respond to Radney's request that he sweep the deck?
(a) He loudly refuses.
(b) He complains loudly.
(c) He quietly refuses.
(d) He meekly obeys.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Peruvian listeners force the storyteller to do to prove his story is true?
2. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
3. What age is the narrator of Bartleby?
4. Why does Coulter come home for lunch?
5. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)