|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
(a) County Coroner.
(b) Master of Chancery.
(c) Justice of the Peace.
2. What did buccaneers leave on the islands that Melville claims is proof of their better traits?
(a) Planted orchards.
(b) Planted gardens.
(c) Carved stone furniture.
(d) Buried treasure.
3. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
4. What was the message of the church meeting the narrator observed?
(a) "Repent and be saved."
(b) "Ye are the salt of the earth."
(c) "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's."
(d) "Hide not your light under a bushel."
5. What is unusual about the pork at the Coulters' dinner table?
(a) It is only fat and gristle.
(b) It is last year's.
(c) It is only hides.
(d) It is not really pork.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
2. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
3. What does Melville say is the most populous species on the island of Albermarle?
4. What does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe the rooster's crow is saying?
5. What previous employment had shaped Bartleby?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)