|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator's middle-aged employee offer to do for Bartleby?
(a) Fire him.
(b) Teach him better work habits.
(c) Black his eyes.
(d) Teach him manners.
2. What are the two failings the narrator sees in his middle-aged scrivener?
(a) Ambition and indigestion.
(b) Dishonesty and ambition.
(c) Indigestion and messiness.
(d) A bad temper and gambling.
3. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
(a) Digs in his heels.
(b) Doubts the other person.
(c) Acquiesces out of courtesy.
(d) Questions his own mind.
4. What famous person expressed a good opinion of the narrator of Bartleby?
(a) Theodore Roosevelt.
(b) John Jacob Astor.
(c) John D. Rockefeller.
(d) Andrew Carnegie.
5. How much does the uncle in "The Happy Failure" think his invention is worth?
(a) More than a life's work.
(b) More than gold.
(c) More than silver.
(d) More than his house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the crew decide to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
2. How does the narrator get into the London theater presentation?
3. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
4. How does the narrator accommodate the weakness of his oldest scrivener?
5. What does Melville believe the charities of London do for the poor?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)