|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator's middle-aged employee offer to do for Bartleby?
(a) Fire him.
(b) Teach him manners.
(c) Teach him better work habits.
(d) Black his eyes.
2. Why is the narrator of "The Two Temples" not allowed to enter the church?
(a) He looks poor and doesn't have a bribe.
(b) He doesn't appear to be a Christian.
(c) He looks like a heathen.
(d) He is causing a disturbance.
3. What human assumption does Melville say is the most preposterous?
(a) Understanding of the rich by the poor.
(b) Criticism of the poor by the rich.
(c) Understanding of the poor by the rich.
(d) Criticism of the rich by the poor.
4. How does the narrator of "The Two Temples" attend the meeting at the church?
(a) He bribes the man who guards the door.
(b) He disguises himself as the bell ringer.
(c) He hides in the bell tower.
(d) He sneaks into the foyer.
5. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view the world?
(a) Full of dangers, snares, and delusions.
(b) Full of sunshine, flowers, and rainbows.
(c) Full of casualties, despotism, and knocks on the head.
(d) Full of puzzles, traps, and confusion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the rooster when the Merrymusk family dies?
2. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
3. Where do both the captain and Steelkilt go after they separate?
4. What famous person expressed a good opinion of the narrator of Bartleby?
5. What previous employment had shaped Bartleby?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)