|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
(a) Sea life is "reckless and barbaric."
(b) Sea life is "quietly Christian."
(c) Sea life is "calm and pure."
(d) Sea life is "daring and brave."
2. How does the narrator of "The Two Temples" attend the meeting at the church?
(a) He disguises himself as the bell ringer.
(b) He bribes the man who guards the door.
(c) He hides in the bell tower.
(d) He sneaks into the foyer.
3. Why does the captain decide not to flog Steelkilt?
(a) He suddenly feels the menace of the rest of the crew.
(b) He suddenly feels sorry for Steelkilt.
(c) Steelkilt makes an inaudible threat.
(d) He suddenly feels ashamed of his own behavior.
4. Why does Radney dislike Steelkilt?
(a) Steelkilt is unfriendly.
(b) Steelkilt is rude.
(c) Steelkilt is handsome.
(d) Steelkilt is insubordinate.
5. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
Short Answer Questions
1. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
2. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
3. To what sight in the city does Melville compare the islands of the Encantadas?
4. Of what does the onstage action in the London theater remind the narrator?
5. How does the narrator accommodate the weakness of his oldest scrivener?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)