|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a scrivener do?
(a) Researches legal precedents.
(b) Records testimony in court.
(c) Organizes court records.
(d) Makes copies of legal documents.
2. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
(a) His wife.
(b) His neighbor.
(c) His banker.
(d) His creditor.
3. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view locomotives and steamships?
(a) As harbingers of a bright future.
(b) As symbols of human ingenuity.
(c) As uniters of families.
(d) As instruments of destruction.
4. What does Steelkilt threaten to do if he is flogged by the captain?
(a) Murder the captain.
(b) Seek an unnamed revenge.
(c) Tell the admiralty board of review.
(d) Jump overboard.
5. What human assumption does Melville say is the most preposterous?
(a) Understanding of the poor by the rich.
(b) Understanding of the rich by the poor.
(c) Criticism of the poor by the rich.
(d) Criticism of the rich by the poor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
2. What age is the narrator of Bartleby?
3. Who are Pedro and Sebastian in The Town-Ho's Story?
4. What does Bartleby's demeanor show about his eccentricities?
5. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)