|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
(a) He offers to double his payment.
(b) He throws him out.
(c) He pays him promptly.
(d) He apologizes.
2. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
(a) A Creole soldier.
(b) A Peruvian king.
(c) A Chilean adventurer.
(d) A Bolivian pirate.
3. What part of the United States does the narrator of the Town-Ho's story claim is much like the sea?
(a) The Great Lakes region.
(b) The Mississippi.
(c) Lake Tahoe.
(d) The Erie Canal.
4. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
(a) A theocracy.
(b) A monarchy.
(c) A democracy.
(d) A riotocracy.
5. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
(a) Bartleby is frighteningly mechanical.
(b) Bartleby is only occasionally industrious.
(c) Bartleby is not cheerful.
(d) Bartleby is relentlessly cheerful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
2. What does a scrivener do?
3. How does the narrator of "The Two Temples" attend the meeting at the church?
4. How does Bartleby respond to the other employees?
5. What are the two failings the narrator sees in his middle-aged scrivener?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)