|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Moby Dick an unusual whale?
(a) He is unusually large, white, and vengeful.
(b) He is unusually small, white, and intelligent.
(c) He is intelligent and communicates with people.
(d) He has supernatural powers.
2. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
(a) They think Bartleby should be excused.
(b) They think Bartleby should be forgiven.
(c) They think Bartleby should be fired.
(d) They think Bartleby should be promoted.
3. What has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" invented?
(a) A device for building dams.
(b) A device for draining swamps.
(c) A device for purifying water.
(d) A device for diverting rivers.
4. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
(a) They are strong and virtuous.
(b) They are sneaky and subtle.
(c) They are mild and calm.
(d) They are picturesquely wicked.
5. Why does the captain decide not to flog Steelkilt?
(a) He suddenly feels sorry for Steelkilt.
(b) Steelkilt makes an inaudible threat.
(c) He suddenly feels ashamed of his own behavior.
(d) He suddenly feels the menace of the rest of the crew.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
2. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
3. Why does Radney dislike Steelkilt?
4. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
5. What object does the lookout spot that takes Melville's ship to Norfolk Isle?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)