|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what alliteration does Melville describe the islands?
(a) An archipelago of aridities.
(b) Dark, doleful doomsday.
(c) Extensive elegant exotica.
(d) Fruitful festival of fecundity.
2. Who are Pedro and Sebastian in The Town-Ho's Story?
(b) Sailors on the Town-Ho.
(c) Sailors on the Pequod.
(d) Friends of the narrator.
3. What object does the lookout spot that takes Melville's ship to Norfolk Isle?
(a) An American flag.
(b) A burning fire.
(c) A handkerchief.
(d) A white bird.
4. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
(a) Bartleby is not cheerful.
(b) Bartleby is relentlessly cheerful.
(c) Bartleby is only occasionally industrious.
(d) Bartleby is frighteningly mechanical.
5. What was the message of the church meeting the narrator observed?
(a) "Repent and be saved."
(b) "Ye are the salt of the earth."
(c) "Hide not your light under a bushel."
(d) "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's."
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does the uncle in "The Happy Failure" think his invention is worth?
2. What surprises the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" about the owner of the rooster?
3. Where do both the captain and Steelkilt go after they separate?
4. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
5. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)