|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator accommodate the weakness of his oldest scrivener?
(a) By giving him unimportant papers in the afternoon.
(b) By giving him unimportant papers in the morning.
(c) By hiring an assistant for him.
(d) By allowing him to work only half a day.
2. Whose job is it to normally sweep the deck of a ship?
(a) The boys on board.
(b) The lowest seaman.
(c) The men on watch.
(d) All members of the work gangs.
3. How much does the uncle in "The Happy Failure" think his invention is worth?
(a) More than silver.
(b) More than gold.
(c) More than a life's work.
(d) More than his house.
4. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
(a) His creditor is a grumpy person.
(b) He is a hospitable, generous man.
(c) His interest payments are exorbitant.
(d) His debt was unfairly imposed.
5. Why is the narrator of "The Two Temples" not allowed to enter the church?
(a) He looks like a heathen.
(b) He doesn't appear to be a Christian.
(c) He looks poor and doesn't have a bribe.
(d) He is causing a disturbance.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
2. How does Melville describe pelicans?
3. What does Blandmour believe God does for the poor?
4. What does the crew decide not to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
5. What action does Steelkilt determine to take after being locked in the hold?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)