|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did a strange boy give the narrator in the theater?
(a) An unexpected smile.
(b) A cup of coffee.
(c) A cup of ale.
(d) A cake of barley.
2. What is Poor Man's Pudding?
(a) Rice, milk, and salt.
(b) Water, salt, and flour.
(c) Milk, eggs, and sugar.
(d) Flour, sugar, cinnamon, and milk.
3. How is the narrator punished for sneaking into the church?
(a) He is publicly embarrassed, but pardoned.
(b) He is warned and set free.
(c) He is imprisoned.
(d) He is jailed overnight and fined.
4. What surprises the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" about the owner of the rooster?
(a) He has many such roosters.
(b) He is poor.
(c) He is old.
(d) He has a large family.
5. What did the American ship, the Essex, see in the Encantadas?
(a) A ghost ship.
(b) An enchanted ship.
(c) An English ship.
(d) A pirate ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
2. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
3. Why doesn't the narrator dismiss Bartleby for insubordination?
4. What has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" invented?
5. What do the Peruvian listeners force the storyteller to do to prove his story is true?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)