|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what alliteration does Melville describe the islands?
(a) Fruitful festival of fecundity.
(b) An archipelago of aridities.
(c) Extensive elegant exotica.
(d) Dark, doleful doomsday.
2. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
(a) Master of Chancery.
(b) County Coroner.
(c) Justice of the Peace.
3. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
(a) A Peruvian king.
(b) A Chilean adventurer.
(c) A Creole soldier.
(d) A Bolivian pirate.
4. What do the Peruvian listeners force the storyteller to do to prove his story is true?
(a) Show some evidence.
(b) Produce another witness.
(c) Cross his heart.
(d) Swear on the Bible.
5. What do Steelkilt and his men demand in return for obeying orders?
(a) They will not be punished.
(b) They will not have to sweep the decks.
(c) They will be given better wages.
(d) Radney will be punished.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator's middle-aged employee offer to do for Bartleby?
2. What does Bartleby's demeanor show about his eccentricities?
3. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
4. What prevents Steelkilt from taking revenge on Radney?
5. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)