|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the narrator of "The Two Temples" not allowed to enter the church?
(a) He doesn't appear to be a Christian.
(b) He is causing a disturbance.
(c) He looks poor and doesn't have a bribe.
(d) He looks like a heathen.
2. What good qualities does Bartleby have as an employee?
(a) He is eager to help.
(b) He is amiable and friendly.
(c) He is enthusiastic and energetic.
(d) He is hard-working and honest.
3. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
(a) He offers to double his payment.
(b) He apologizes.
(c) He throws him out.
(d) He pays him promptly.
4. What do Steelkilt and his men demand in return for obeying orders?
(a) They will not have to sweep the decks.
(b) They will be given better wages.
(c) They will not be punished.
(d) Radney will be punished.
5. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
(a) It would lead to a admiralty investigation.
(b) It would justify Radney's dishonorable actions.
(c) It would be unfair.
(d) It would spark a mutiny.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the message of the church meeting the narrator observed?
2. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
3. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
4. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
5. To what sight in the city does Melville compare the islands of the Encantadas?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)