|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" invented?
(a) A device for purifying water.
(b) A device for diverting rivers.
(c) A device for building dams.
(d) A device for draining swamps.
2. What does the arrangement of the office allow Bartleby to do with the narrator?
(a) Neither see him nor hear him.
(b) See him but not hear him.
(c) Hear him but not see him.
(d) Both see and hear him.
3. Why does the Town-Ho's captain have to put the ship into port?
(a) Its crewmen are ill with scurvy.
(b) There has been a mutiny on board.
(c) It has run out of supplies.
(d) It has sprung a leak.
4. What does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe the rooster's crow is saying?
(a) Glory be to God in the highest!
5. How much does the uncle in "The Happy Failure" think his invention is worth?
(a) More than a life's work.
(b) More than silver.
(c) More than his house.
(d) More than gold.
Short Answer Questions
1. What good qualities does Bartleby have as an employee?
2. Where do both the captain and Steelkilt go after they separate?
3. What did a strange boy give the narrator in the theater?
4. What action does Steelkilt determine to take after being locked in the hold?
5. What part of the United States does the narrator of the Town-Ho's story claim is much like the sea?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)