|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did a strange boy give the narrator in the theater?
(a) A cup of coffee.
(b) An unexpected smile.
(c) A cake of barley.
(d) A cup of ale.
2. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
(a) Go for coffee.
(b) Copy a comparison of an original.
(c) Compare a copy with its original.
(d) Originate a copy.
3. What prevents Steelkilt from taking revenge on Radney?
(a) The captain orders Radney executed.
(b) Radney apologizes.
(c) Moby Dick kills Radney.
(d) Steelkilt has a change of heart.
4. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) Fascination and charm.
(b) Solitude and desolation.
(c) Beauty and peace.
(d) Silence and serenity.
5. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
(d) Tax accountant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the rooster when the Merrymusk family dies?
2. Why doesn't the narrator dismiss Bartleby for insubordination?
3. What was the message of the church meeting the narrator observed?
4. What does a scrivener do?
5. What does Steelkilt threaten to do if he is flogged by the captain?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)