|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
(a) Questions his own mind.
(b) Doubts the other person.
(c) Acquiesces out of courtesy.
(d) Digs in his heels.
2. Whose job is it to normally sweep the deck of a ship?
(a) The boys on board.
(b) All members of the work gangs.
(c) The men on watch.
(d) The lowest seaman.
3. Why does Coulter come home for lunch?
(a) To enjoy a hot meal.
(b) To get exercise from the walk.
(c) To please his wife.
(d) To rest a little while.
4. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
(a) Go for coffee.
(b) Compare a copy with its original.
(c) Copy a comparison of an original.
(d) Originate a copy.
5. Where do both the captain and Steelkilt go after they separate?
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does the onstage action in the London theater remind the narrator?
2. What good qualities does Bartleby have as an employee?
3. What did the American ship, the Essex, see in the Encantadas?
4. How does Melville describe pelicans?
5. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)