|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did buccaneers leave on the islands that Melville claims is proof of their better traits?
(a) Buried treasure.
(b) Planted orchards.
(c) Carved stone furniture.
(d) Planted gardens.
2. What human assumption does Melville say is the most preposterous?
(a) Criticism of the poor by the rich.
(b) Understanding of the poor by the rich.
(c) Criticism of the rich by the poor.
(d) Understanding of the rich by the poor.
3. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
(a) County Coroner.
(c) Master of Chancery.
(d) Justice of the Peace.
4. What does Blandmour believe God does for the poor?
(a) God gives the poor very little help.
(b) God charges the rich to care for the poor.
(c) God gives the poor everything they need for free.
(d) God gives the poor the challenges they need.
5. What is unusual about the pork at the Coulters' dinner table?
(a) It is not really pork.
(b) It is only hides.
(c) It is only fat and gristle.
(d) It is last year's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose job is it to normally sweep the deck of a ship?
2. Why does the captain decide not to flog Steelkilt?
3. What does the crew decide not to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
4. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
5. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view the world?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)