|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
2. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
(a) He is a hospitable, generous man.
(b) His creditor is a grumpy person.
(c) His interest payments are exorbitant.
(d) His debt was unfairly imposed.
3. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
(d) Tax accountant.
4. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
(a) They are mild and calm.
(b) They are sneaky and subtle.
(c) They are picturesquely wicked.
(d) They are strong and virtuous.
5. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
(a) Go for coffee.
(b) Originate a copy.
(c) Compare a copy with its original.
(d) Copy a comparison of an original.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the arrangement of the office allow Bartleby to do with the narrator?
2. With what weapon does Radney threaten Steelkilt?
3. What does the crew decide to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
4. What prevents Steelkilt from taking revenge on Radney?
5. What do Steelkilt's three remaining conspirators decide to do to save themselves?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)