|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the narrator of "The Two Temples" not allowed to enter the church?
(a) He is causing a disturbance.
(b) He doesn't appear to be a Christian.
(c) He looks like a heathen.
(d) He looks poor and doesn't have a bribe.
2. What does Melville believe the charities of London do for the poor?
(a) The charities of London soften the poor.
(b) The charities of London embolden the poor.
(c) The charities of London strengthen the poor.
(d) The charities of London madden the poor.
3. What does Bartleby's demeanor show about his eccentricities?
(a) They are involuntary.
(b) They are important.
(c) They are voluntary.
(d) They are unimportant.
4. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
(a) The cormorant.
(b) The bat.
(c) The penguin.
(d) The walrus.
5. What quality of Bartleby's induces the narrator to hire him?
(a) Bartleby is sedate.
(b) Bartleby is energetic.
(c) Bartleby is efficient.
(d) Bartleby is friendly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
2. What did a strange boy give the narrator in the theater?
3. What famous person expressed a good opinion of the narrator of Bartleby?
4. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
5. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)