|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the narrator of "The Two Temples" not allowed to enter the church?
(a) He doesn't appear to be a Christian.
(b) He looks poor and doesn't have a bribe.
(c) He looks like a heathen.
(d) He is causing a disturbance.
2. How does Steelkilt respond to Radney's request that he sweep the deck?
(a) He complains loudly.
(b) He quietly refuses.
(c) He loudly refuses.
(d) He meekly obeys.
3. What has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" invented?
(a) A device for purifying water.
(b) A device for building dams.
(c) A device for diverting rivers.
(d) A device for draining swamps.
4. What did a strange boy give the narrator in the theater?
(a) A cup of coffee.
(b) A cup of ale.
(c) A cake of barley.
(d) An unexpected smile.
5. Where do both the captain and Steelkilt go after they separate?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Melville say is the most populous species on the island of Albermarle?
2. What does the arrangement of the office allow Bartleby to do with the narrator?
3. Of what does the onstage action in the London theater remind the narrator?
4. What was the message of the church meeting the narrator observed?
5. What do Steelkilt and his men demand in return for obeying orders?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)