|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
(a) The approval of his peers.
(b) The approval of his employees.
(d) Bartleby's friendship.
2. What has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" invented?
(a) A device for building dams.
(b) A device for draining swamps.
(c) A device for diverting rivers.
(d) A device for purifying water.
3. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
(a) The bat.
(b) The penguin.
(c) The cormorant.
(d) The walrus.
4. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
5. How does Melville describe pelicans?
(a) Woebegone and penitential.
(b) Modest and humble.
(c) Elegant and streamlined.
(d) Clever and complicated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a scrivener do?
2. What do Steelkilt and his men demand in return for obeying orders?
3. What does the arrangement of the office allow Bartleby to do with the narrator?
4. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
5. How does the narrator of "The Two Temples" attend the meeting at the church?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)