|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal from the islands supplies sailors with food and utensils?
(a) The seal.
(b) The tortoise.
(c) The iguana.
(d) The albatross.
2. What famous person expressed a good opinion of the narrator of Bartleby?
(a) Theodore Roosevelt.
(b) John Jacob Astor.
(c) Andrew Carnegie.
(d) John D. Rockefeller.
3. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view the world?
(a) Full of sunshine, flowers, and rainbows.
(b) Full of puzzles, traps, and confusion.
(c) Full of casualties, despotism, and knocks on the head.
(d) Full of dangers, snares, and delusions.
4. What does the crew decide not to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
(a) Call out when whales were sighted.
(b) Obey the captain.
(c) Desert together.
(d) Start a mutiny.
5. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
(a) His interest payments are exorbitant.
(b) His debt was unfairly imposed.
(c) His creditor is a grumpy person.
(d) He is a hospitable, generous man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Moby Dick an unusual whale?
2. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
3. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
4. What did buccaneers leave on the islands that Melville claims is proof of their better traits?
5. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)