|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the American ship, the Essex, see in the Encantadas?
(a) An English ship.
(b) A pirate ship.
(c) A ghost ship.
(d) An enchanted ship.
2. What has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" invented?
(a) A device for diverting rivers.
(b) A device for building dams.
(c) A device for draining swamps.
(d) A device for purifying water.
3. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
(a) Bartleby's friendship.
(b) The approval of his peers.
(c) The approval of his employees.
4. How does Melville describe pelicans?
(a) Woebegone and penitential.
(b) Elegant and streamlined.
(c) Modest and humble.
(d) Clever and complicated.
5. What does Steelkilt threaten to do if he is flogged by the captain?
(a) Seek an unnamed revenge.
(b) Murder the captain.
(c) Tell the admiralty board of review.
(d) Jump overboard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
2. What previous employment had shaped Bartleby?
3. What human assumption does Melville say is the most preposterous?
4. What age is the narrator of Bartleby?
5. What is the narrator's condition when he goes to the theater in London?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)