|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
(c) Pine nuts.
(d) Ginger nuts.
2. What famous person expressed a good opinion of the narrator of Bartleby?
(a) Andrew Carnegie.
(b) John D. Rockefeller.
(c) Theodore Roosevelt.
(d) John Jacob Astor.
3. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
(b) The approval of his peers.
(c) Bartleby's friendship.
(d) The approval of his employees.
4. What does Steelkilt threaten to do if he is flogged by the captain?
(a) Jump overboard.
(b) Seek an unnamed revenge.
(c) Tell the admiralty board of review.
(d) Murder the captain.
5. What age is the narrator of Bartleby?
(a) In his thirties.
(b) In his forties.
(c) In his sixties.
(d) In his fifties.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose job is it to normally sweep the deck of a ship?
2. How much does the uncle in "The Happy Failure" think his invention is worth?
3. Why does the captain decide not to flog Steelkilt?
4. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
5. How is the narrator punished for sneaking into the church?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)