|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unusual about the pork at the Coulters' dinner table?
(a) It is only fat and gristle.
(b) It is last year's.
(c) It is only hides.
(d) It is not really pork.
2. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
(a) They think Bartleby should be excused.
(b) They think Bartleby should be forgiven.
(c) They think Bartleby should be fired.
(d) They think Bartleby should be promoted.
3. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
(a) A democracy.
(b) A theocracy.
(c) A riotocracy.
(d) A monarchy.
4. What famous person expressed a good opinion of the narrator of Bartleby?
(a) John D. Rockefeller.
(b) Theodore Roosevelt.
(c) John Jacob Astor.
(d) Andrew Carnegie.
5. What did a strange boy give the narrator in the theater?
(a) A cup of ale.
(b) An unexpected smile.
(c) A cup of coffee.
(d) A cake of barley.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Radney dislike Steelkilt?
2. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
3. What age is the narrator of Bartleby?
4. With what weapon does Radney threaten Steelkilt?
5. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)