|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
(a) They call for help.
(b) They desert the ship.
(c) They give up life on the sea.
(d) They murder the captain.
2. What animal from the islands supplies sailors with food and utensils?
(a) The tortoise.
(b) The albatross.
(c) The iguana.
(d) The seal.
3. What was the message of the church meeting the narrator observed?
(a) "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's."
(b) "Ye are the salt of the earth."
(c) "Repent and be saved."
(d) "Hide not your light under a bushel."
4. What did the American ship, the Essex, see in the Encantadas?
(a) An English ship.
(b) An enchanted ship.
(c) A ghost ship.
(d) A pirate ship.
5. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
(a) Pine nuts.
(b) Ginger nuts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Melville say is the most populous species on the island of Albermarle?
2. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
3. How is the narrator punished for sneaking into the church?
4. Where do both the captain and Steelkilt go after they separate?
5. How does the narrator of "The Two Temples" attend the meeting at the church?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)