|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
(a) Chompers, Grumpy, and Short Stuff.
(b) Chicken, Rooster, and Cluck.
(c) Turkey, Nippers, and Ginger Nut.
(d) Grandpa, Grumpy, and The Kid.
2. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view locomotives and steamships?
(a) As uniters of families.
(b) As instruments of destruction.
(c) As harbingers of a bright future.
(d) As symbols of human ingenuity.
3. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
(a) A monarchy.
(b) A democracy.
(c) A riotocracy.
(d) A theocracy.
4. What has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" invented?
(a) A device for building dams.
(b) A device for diverting rivers.
(c) A device for draining swamps.
(d) A device for purifying water.
5. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
(a) Bartleby is not cheerful.
(b) Bartleby is only occasionally industrious.
(c) Bartleby is relentlessly cheerful.
(d) Bartleby is frighteningly mechanical.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator of "The Two Temples" attend the meeting at the church?
2. What human assumption does Melville say is the most preposterous?
3. What good qualities does Bartleby have as an employee?
4. What age is the narrator of Bartleby?
5. How is the narrator punished for sneaking into the church?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)