|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
(a) Digs in his heels.
(b) Questions his own mind.
(c) Acquiesces out of courtesy.
(d) Doubts the other person.
2. Who are Pedro and Sebastian in The Town-Ho's Story?
(a) Sailors on the Town-Ho.
(c) Sailors on the Pequod.
(d) Friends of the narrator.
3. What does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe the rooster's crow is saying?
(c) Glory be to God in the highest!
4. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
5. What did a strange boy give the narrator in the theater?
(a) A cake of barley.
(b) A cup of ale.
(c) A cup of coffee.
(d) An unexpected smile.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
2. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
3. What age is the narrator of Bartleby?
4. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
5. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)