|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe the rooster's crow is saying?
(d) Glory be to God in the highest!
2. What did a strange boy give the narrator in the theater?
(a) A cup of ale.
(b) A cake of barley.
(c) An unexpected smile.
(d) A cup of coffee.
3. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
(a) Master of Chancery.
(b) Justice of the Peace.
(d) County Coroner.
4. Why is the narrator of "The Two Temples" not allowed to enter the church?
(a) He looks poor and doesn't have a bribe.
(b) He looks like a heathen.
(c) He doesn't appear to be a Christian.
(d) He is causing a disturbance.
5. How does Merrymusk convince the narrator that he is a rich man?
(a) He has a large family.
(b) He has a rooster worth five hundred dollars.
(c) He has a large tract of land.
(d) He has a barn full of hay.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator accommodate the weakness of his oldest scrivener?
2. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
3. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
4. What famous person expressed a good opinion of the narrator of Bartleby?
5. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)