|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two failings the narrator sees in his middle-aged scrivener?
(a) Indigestion and messiness.
(b) Ambition and indigestion.
(c) A bad temper and gambling.
(d) Dishonesty and ambition.
2. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
(a) The rooster reminds him of a character in a book.
(b) The rooster reminds him of his neighbor.
(c) The rooster reminds him of a song.
(d) The rooster reminds him of a character in a play.
3. What animal from the islands supplies sailors with food and utensils?
(a) The seal.
(b) The tortoise.
(c) The iguana.
(d) The albatross.
4. What quality of Bartleby's induces the narrator to hire him?
(a) Bartleby is sedate.
(b) Bartleby is friendly.
(c) Bartleby is energetic.
(d) Bartleby is efficient.
5. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
(a) He is a hospitable, generous man.
(b) His debt was unfairly imposed.
(c) His creditor is a grumpy person.
(d) His interest payments are exorbitant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Melville say is the most populous species on the island of Albermarle?
2. Where does the narrator in The Town-Ho's story tell his tale?
3. What did the failure of his invention do for the uncle in "The Happy Failure?"
4. How does the narrator of "The Two Temples" attend the meeting at the church?
5. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)