|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
(a) Questions his own mind.
(b) Digs in his heels.
(c) Doubts the other person.
(d) Acquiesces out of courtesy.
2. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
(b) Justice of the Peace.
(c) Master of Chancery.
(d) County Coroner.
3. What quality of Bartleby's induces the narrator to hire him?
(a) Bartleby is sedate.
(b) Bartleby is friendly.
(c) Bartleby is energetic.
(d) Bartleby is efficient.
4. How much does the uncle in "The Happy Failure" think his invention is worth?
(a) More than a life's work.
(b) More than gold.
(c) More than his house.
(d) More than silver.
5. What previous employment had shaped Bartleby?
(a) Working in a morgue.
(b) Working as a court reporter.
(c) Working on a locomotive.
(d) Working in a dead letter office.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Pedro and Sebastian in The Town-Ho's Story?
2. How does Melville describe pelicans?
3. What does Melville believe the charities of London do for the poor?
4. How does Merrymusk convince the narrator that he is a rich man?
5. How long has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" worked on his invention?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)