|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the arrangement of the office allow Bartleby to do with the narrator?
(a) See him but not hear him.
(b) Hear him but not see him.
(c) Both see and hear him.
(d) Neither see him nor hear him.
2. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
(a) He apologizes.
(b) He offers to double his payment.
(c) He pays him promptly.
(d) He throws him out.
3. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
(a) Sea life is "calm and pure."
(b) Sea life is "daring and brave."
(c) Sea life is "quietly Christian."
(d) Sea life is "reckless and barbaric."
4. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
(a) It would be unfair.
(b) It would lead to a admiralty investigation.
(c) It would spark a mutiny.
(d) It would justify Radney's dishonorable actions.
5. What does a scrivener do?
(a) Makes copies of legal documents.
(b) Records testimony in court.
(c) Organizes court records.
(d) Researches legal precedents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises the narrator when he goes to his office on a Sunday?
2. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
3. What is Poor Man's Pudding?
4. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
5. What famous person expressed a good opinion of the narrator of Bartleby?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)