|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
(a) Bartleby is only occasionally industrious.
(b) Bartleby is relentlessly cheerful.
(c) Bartleby is frighteningly mechanical.
(d) Bartleby is not cheerful.
2. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
(a) Go for coffee.
(b) Originate a copy.
(c) Copy a comparison of an original.
(d) Compare a copy with its original.
3. What surprises the narrator when he goes to his office on a Sunday?
(a) Bartleby has been living there.
(b) Bartleby has been working on the weekend.
(c) Bartleby has stolen his things.
(d) Bartleby has invited friends to the office.
4. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
(a) His neighbor.
(b) His wife.
(c) His banker.
(d) His creditor.
5. How much does the uncle in "The Happy Failure" think his invention is worth?
(a) More than a life's work.
(b) More than his house.
(c) More than gold.
(d) More than silver.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object does the lookout spot that takes Melville's ship to Norfolk Isle?
2. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view locomotives and steamships?
3. What do the Peruvian listeners force the storyteller to do to prove his story is true?
4. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
5. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)