|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does the onstage action in the London theater remind the narrator?
(a) The theater at home on Broadway.
(b) The curmudgeonly landlady at his boarding house.
(c) The church service he had watched from the bell tower.
(d) His own childhood.
2. How does Bartleby respond to the other employees?
(a) He thanks them.
(b) He ignores them.
(c) He resents them.
(d) He emulates them.
3. What emotion does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" say he has never felt since the rooster died?
(a) The doleful dumps.
(b) The warm contentment.
(c) The silly slaphappiness.
(d) The cheerful joys.
4. What does Steelkilt threaten to do if he is flogged by the captain?
(a) Seek an unnamed revenge.
(b) Tell the admiralty board of review.
(c) Murder the captain.
(d) Jump overboard.
5. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
(a) They think Bartleby should be fired.
(b) They think Bartleby should be promoted.
(c) They think Bartleby should be excused.
(d) They think Bartleby should be forgiven.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose job is it to normally sweep the deck of a ship?
2. Where does the narrator in The Town-Ho's story tell his tale?
3. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
4. What do Steelkilt and his men demand in return for obeying orders?
5. Why doesn't the narrator dismiss Bartleby for insubordination?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)