|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did buccaneers leave on the islands that Melville claims is proof of their better traits?
(a) Buried treasure.
(b) Planted orchards.
(c) Carved stone furniture.
(d) Planted gardens.
2. What good qualities does Bartleby have as an employee?
(a) He is amiable and friendly.
(b) He is enthusiastic and energetic.
(c) He is hard-working and honest.
(d) He is eager to help.
3. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
(a) Moby Dick.
(b) Billy Budd.
(c) The Confidence Man.
4. Who are Pedro and Sebastian in The Town-Ho's Story?
(a) Sailors on the Pequod.
(c) Friends of the narrator.
(d) Sailors on the Town-Ho.
5. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
(a) The penguin.
(b) The walrus.
(c) The bat.
(d) The cormorant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bartleby respond to the other employees?
2. With what alliteration does Melville describe the islands?
3. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view the world?
4. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
5. What is unusual about the pork at the Coulters' dinner table?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)