|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bartleby's demeanor show about his eccentricities?
(a) They are involuntary.
(b) They are unimportant.
(c) They are voluntary.
(d) They are important.
2. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
(a) They are sneaky and subtle.
(b) They are picturesquely wicked.
(c) They are strong and virtuous.
(d) They are mild and calm.
3. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
(a) It would lead to a admiralty investigation.
(b) It would justify Radney's dishonorable actions.
(c) It would spark a mutiny.
(d) It would be unfair.
4. Why does the Town-Ho's captain have to put the ship into port?
(a) It has run out of supplies.
(b) There has been a mutiny on board.
(c) Its crewmen are ill with scurvy.
(d) It has sprung a leak.
5. What good qualities does Bartleby have as an employee?
(a) He is eager to help.
(b) He is amiable and friendly.
(c) He is enthusiastic and energetic.
(d) He is hard-working and honest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
2. What does the crew decide to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
3. What do the Peruvian listeners force the storyteller to do to prove his story is true?
4. How does Steelkilt respond to Radney's request that he sweep the deck?
5. What animal from the islands supplies sailors with food and utensils?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)