|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
(a) They are strong and virtuous.
(b) They are mild and calm.
(c) They are sneaky and subtle.
(d) They are picturesquely wicked.
2. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view locomotives and steamships?
(a) As symbols of human ingenuity.
(b) As instruments of destruction.
(c) As harbingers of a bright future.
(d) As uniters of families.
3. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
(a) Chompers, Grumpy, and Short Stuff.
(b) Turkey, Nippers, and Ginger Nut.
(c) Chicken, Rooster, and Cluck.
(d) Grandpa, Grumpy, and The Kid.
4. What does the crew decide not to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
(a) Desert together.
(b) Call out when whales were sighted.
(c) Obey the captain.
(d) Start a mutiny.
5. Where does the narrator in The Town-Ho's story tell his tale?
(a) On the deck of the Town-Ho.
(b) On the deck of the Pequod.
(c) Lima, Peru.
(d) The Cape of Good Hope.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Moby Dick an unusual whale?
2. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
3. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
4. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
5. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)