|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
(a) They think Bartleby should be promoted.
(b) They think Bartleby should be excused.
(c) They think Bartleby should be fired.
(d) They think Bartleby should be forgiven.
2. To what sight in the city does Melville compare the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) A pile of leaves.
(b) A pile of rocks.
(c) A pile of cinders.
(d) A pile of trash.
3. What does the crew decide not to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
(a) Start a mutiny.
(b) Obey the captain.
(c) Call out when whales were sighted.
(d) Desert together.
4. What are the two failings the narrator sees in his middle-aged scrivener?
(a) Dishonesty and ambition.
(b) A bad temper and gambling.
(c) Ambition and indigestion.
(d) Indigestion and messiness.
5. With what alliteration does Melville describe the islands?
(a) Dark, doleful doomsday.
(b) Extensive elegant exotica.
(c) An archipelago of aridities.
(d) Fruitful festival of fecundity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Town-Ho's captain have to put the ship into port?
2. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
3. Who are Pedro and Sebastian in The Town-Ho's Story?
4. How does Bartleby respond to the other employees?
5. What do Steelkilt's three remaining conspirators decide to do to save themselves?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)