|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bartleby's demeanor show about his eccentricities?
(a) They are important.
(b) They are unimportant.
(c) They are involuntary.
(d) They are voluntary.
2. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
(a) The Confidence Man.
(b) Billy Budd.
(c) Moby Dick.
3. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
(a) Justice of the Peace.
(c) Master of Chancery.
(d) County Coroner.
4. With what alliteration does Melville describe the islands?
(a) Fruitful festival of fecundity.
(b) Dark, doleful doomsday.
(c) Extensive elegant exotica.
(d) An archipelago of aridities.
5. Where do both the captain and Steelkilt go after they separate?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
2. What emotion does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" say he has never felt since the rooster died?
3. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
4. What object does the lookout spot that takes Melville's ship to Norfolk Isle?
5. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
This section contains 222 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)