|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What age is the narrator of Bartleby?
(a) In his fifties.
(b) In his sixties.
(c) In his forties.
(d) In his thirties.
2. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) Fascination and charm.
(b) Solitude and desolation.
(c) Silence and serenity.
(d) Beauty and peace.
3. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
(b) The Confidence Man.
(c) Moby Dick.
(d) Billy Budd.
4. How does Merrymusk convince the narrator that he is a rich man?
(a) He has a rooster worth five hundred dollars.
(b) He has a large tract of land.
(c) He has a barn full of hay.
(d) He has a large family.
5. What does Steelkilt threaten to do if he is flogged by the captain?
(a) Murder the captain.
(b) Jump overboard.
(c) Tell the admiralty board of review.
(d) Seek an unnamed revenge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe the rooster's crow is saying?
2. What does the arrangement of the office allow Bartleby to do with the narrator?
3. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
4. What does the crew decide not to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
5. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)