|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator accommodate the weakness of his oldest scrivener?
(a) By hiring an assistant for him.
(b) By giving him unimportant papers in the afternoon.
(c) By allowing him to work only half a day.
(d) By giving him unimportant papers in the morning.
2. To what sight in the city does Melville compare the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) A pile of cinders.
(b) A pile of leaves.
(c) A pile of rocks.
(d) A pile of trash.
3. What part of the United States does the narrator of the Town-Ho's story claim is much like the sea?
(a) The Mississippi.
(b) Lake Tahoe.
(c) The Erie Canal.
(d) The Great Lakes region.
4. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
(a) His interest payments are exorbitant.
(b) He is a hospitable, generous man.
(c) His debt was unfairly imposed.
(d) His creditor is a grumpy person.
5. With what weapon does Radney threaten Steelkilt?
(a) A gun.
(b) A rope.
(c) A hammer.
(d) A knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What action does Steelkilt determine to take after being locked in the hold?
2. What does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe the rooster's crow is saying?
3. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
4. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view the world?
5. What did the American ship, the Essex, see in the Encantadas?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)