|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal from the islands supplies sailors with food and utensils?
(a) The seal.
(b) The tortoise.
(c) The iguana.
(d) The albatross.
2. How does Melville describe pelicans?
(a) Modest and humble.
(b) Elegant and streamlined.
(c) Clever and complicated.
(d) Woebegone and penitential.
3. What part of the United States does the narrator of the Town-Ho's story claim is much like the sea?
(a) The Mississippi.
(b) Lake Tahoe.
(c) The Erie Canal.
(d) The Great Lakes region.
4. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
(a) It would justify Radney's dishonorable actions.
(b) It would be unfair.
(c) It would spark a mutiny.
(d) It would lead to a admiralty investigation.
5. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
(a) The approval of his peers.
(c) The approval of his employees.
(d) Bartleby's friendship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Pedro and Sebastian in The Town-Ho's Story?
2. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
3. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
4. What surprises the narrator when he goes to his office on a Sunday?
5. With what alliteration does Melville describe the islands?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)