|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Melville describe pelicans?
(a) Modest and humble.
(b) Woebegone and penitential.
(c) Elegant and streamlined.
(d) Clever and complicated.
2. Why does the captain decide not to flog Steelkilt?
(a) He suddenly feels ashamed of his own behavior.
(b) He suddenly feels sorry for Steelkilt.
(c) He suddenly feels the menace of the rest of the crew.
(d) Steelkilt makes an inaudible threat.
3. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
(a) Master of Chancery.
(b) County Coroner.
(d) Justice of the Peace.
4. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
(a) He offers to double his payment.
(b) He throws him out.
(c) He pays him promptly.
(d) He apologizes.
5. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
(a) He is a hospitable, generous man.
(b) His creditor is a grumpy person.
(c) His debt was unfairly imposed.
(d) His interest payments are exorbitant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal from the islands supplies sailors with food and utensils?
2. What did buccaneers leave on the islands that Melville claims is proof of their better traits?
3. What action does Steelkilt determine to take after being locked in the hold?
4. What do Steelkilt and his men demand in return for obeying orders?
5. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)