|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
(a) Sea life is "quietly Christian."
(b) Sea life is "reckless and barbaric."
(c) Sea life is "calm and pure."
(d) Sea life is "daring and brave."
2. What does a scrivener do?
(a) Records testimony in court.
(b) Organizes court records.
(c) Researches legal precedents.
(d) Makes copies of legal documents.
3. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
(a) They are mild and calm.
(b) They are picturesquely wicked.
(c) They are sneaky and subtle.
(d) They are strong and virtuous.
4. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
(a) It would justify Radney's dishonorable actions.
(b) It would spark a mutiny.
(c) It would be unfair.
(d) It would lead to a admiralty investigation.
5. What does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe the rooster's crow is saying?
(a) Glory be to God in the highest!
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two failings the narrator sees in his middle-aged scrivener?
2. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
3. What emotion does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" say he has never felt since the rooster died?
4. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
5. What previous employment had shaped Bartleby?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)