|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what alliteration does Melville describe the islands?
(a) Dark, doleful doomsday.
(b) An archipelago of aridities.
(c) Extensive elegant exotica.
(d) Fruitful festival of fecundity.
2. Where do both the captain and Steelkilt go after they separate?
3. What object does the lookout spot that takes Melville's ship to Norfolk Isle?
(a) An American flag.
(b) A burning fire.
(c) A white bird.
(d) A handkerchief.
4. What part of the United States does the narrator of the Town-Ho's story claim is much like the sea?
(a) The Mississippi.
(b) The Erie Canal.
(c) Lake Tahoe.
(d) The Great Lakes region.
5. Why does the captain decide not to flog Steelkilt?
(a) He suddenly feels sorry for Steelkilt.
(b) He suddenly feels the menace of the rest of the crew.
(c) He suddenly feels ashamed of his own behavior.
(d) Steelkilt makes an inaudible threat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
2. What does Steelkilt threaten to do if he is flogged by the captain?
3. What does the crew decide to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
4. What previous employment had shaped Bartleby?
5. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)