|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Steelkilt's three remaining conspirators decide to do to save themselves?
(a) Sneak back to their posts.
(b) Kill Steelkilt.
(c) Bind Steelkilt and give him to the captain.
(d) Support Steelkilt's mutiny.
2. What previous employment had shaped Bartleby?
(a) Working in a dead letter office.
(b) Working in a morgue.
(c) Working as a court reporter.
(d) Working on a locomotive.
3. What does a scrivener do?
(a) Organizes court records.
(b) Makes copies of legal documents.
(c) Researches legal precedents.
(d) Records testimony in court.
4. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
(a) Pine nuts.
(c) Ginger nuts.
5. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
(a) Originate a copy.
(b) Copy a comparison of an original.
(c) Go for coffee.
(d) Compare a copy with its original.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the arrangement of the office allow Bartleby to do with the narrator?
2. Why does the Town-Ho's captain have to put the ship into port?
3. What action does Steelkilt determine to take after being locked in the hold?
4. With what alliteration does Melville describe the islands?
5. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view locomotives and steamships?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)