|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the crew decide not to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
(a) Start a mutiny.
(b) Call out when whales were sighted.
(c) Desert together.
(d) Obey the captain.
2. What do the Peruvian listeners force the storyteller to do to prove his story is true?
(a) Cross his heart.
(b) Swear on the Bible.
(c) Show some evidence.
(d) Produce another witness.
3. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) Beauty and peace.
(b) Solitude and desolation.
(c) Silence and serenity.
(d) Fascination and charm.
4. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
(a) Bartleby is frighteningly mechanical.
(b) Bartleby is only occasionally industrious.
(c) Bartleby is relentlessly cheerful.
(d) Bartleby is not cheerful.
5. What action does Steelkilt determine to take after being locked in the hold?
(a) He will kill Radney.
(b) He will apologize.
(c) He will kill the captain.
(d) He will seize the ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bartleby's demeanor show about his eccentricities?
2. How does the narrator accommodate the weakness of his oldest scrivener?
3. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
4. What does the narrator's middle-aged employee offer to do for Bartleby?
5. What does a scrivener do?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)