|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
(a) Justice of the Peace.
(c) Master of Chancery.
(d) County Coroner.
2. What does Bartleby's demeanor show about his eccentricities?
(a) They are involuntary.
(b) They are important.
(c) They are voluntary.
(d) They are unimportant.
3. What do the Peruvian listeners force the storyteller to do to prove his story is true?
(a) Produce another witness.
(b) Show some evidence.
(c) Swear on the Bible.
(d) Cross his heart.
4. Where do both the captain and Steelkilt go after they separate?
5. What did the American ship, the Essex, see in the Encantadas?
(a) An enchanted ship.
(b) An English ship.
(c) A pirate ship.
(d) A ghost ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
2. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
3. What quality of Bartleby's induces the narrator to hire him?
4. What emotion does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" say he has never felt since the rooster died?
5. With what weapon does Radney threaten Steelkilt?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)