|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
(b) Tax accountant.
2. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
(a) A theocracy.
(b) A riotocracy.
(c) A democracy.
(d) A monarchy.
3. With what weapon does Radney threaten Steelkilt?
(a) A hammer.
(b) A rope.
(c) A gun.
(d) A knife.
4. What does the crew decide not to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
(a) Call out when whales were sighted.
(b) Desert together.
(c) Start a mutiny.
(d) Obey the captain.
5. What action does Steelkilt determine to take after being locked in the hold?
(a) He will kill the captain.
(b) He will kill Radney.
(c) He will seize the ship.
(d) He will apologize.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
2. How does the narrator accommodate the weakness of his oldest scrivener?
3. How does Steelkilt respond to Radney's request that he sweep the deck?
4. What do Steelkilt's three remaining conspirators decide to do to save themselves?
5. What does the narrator's middle-aged employee offer to do for Bartleby?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)