|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Melville describe pelicans?
(a) Modest and humble.
(b) Clever and complicated.
(c) Woebegone and penitential.
(d) Elegant and streamlined.
2. How does the narrator accommodate the weakness of his oldest scrivener?
(a) By giving him unimportant papers in the afternoon.
(b) By giving him unimportant papers in the morning.
(c) By hiring an assistant for him.
(d) By allowing him to work only half a day.
3. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
(a) His banker.
(b) His neighbor.
(c) His creditor.
(d) His wife.
4. How does Bartleby respond to the other employees?
(a) He resents them.
(b) He emulates them.
(c) He thanks them.
(d) He ignores them.
5. Why does the Town-Ho's captain have to put the ship into port?
(a) It has sprung a leak.
(b) There has been a mutiny on board.
(c) It has run out of supplies.
(d) Its crewmen are ill with scurvy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the captain decide not to flog Steelkilt?
2. What does the crew decide to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
3. What emotion does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" say he has never felt since the rooster died?
4. Why does Radney dislike Steelkilt?
5. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)