|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
(c) Legal research.
(d) Errand boy.
2. What did the American ship, the Essex, see in the Encantadas?
(a) An enchanted ship.
(b) A pirate ship.
(c) An English ship.
(d) A ghost ship.
3. With what alliteration does Melville describe the islands?
(a) Extensive elegant exotica.
(b) An archipelago of aridities.
(c) Fruitful festival of fecundity.
(d) Dark, doleful doomsday.
4. What do Steelkilt's three remaining conspirators decide to do to save themselves?
(a) Support Steelkilt's mutiny.
(b) Bind Steelkilt and give him to the captain.
(c) Sneak back to their posts.
(d) Kill Steelkilt.
5. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
(a) Ginger nuts.
(b) Pine nuts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
2. Whose job is it to normally sweep the deck of a ship?
3. What object does the lookout spot that takes Melville's ship to Norfolk Isle?
4. What does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe the rooster's crow is saying?
5. What emotion does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" say he has never felt since the rooster died?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)