|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
(a) They think Bartleby should be fired.
(b) They think Bartleby should be promoted.
(c) They think Bartleby should be excused.
(d) They think Bartleby should be forgiven.
2. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
(a) The Confidence Man.
(b) Moby Dick.
(c) Billy Budd.
3. What happens to the rooster when the Merrymusk family dies?
(a) The rooster goes home with the narrator.
(b) The rooster dies too.
(c) The rooster is sold for five hundred dollars.
(d) The rooster crows on the graves.
4. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
(a) They desert the ship.
(b) They murder the captain.
(c) They give up life on the sea.
(d) They call for help.
5. What age is the narrator of Bartleby?
(a) In his forties.
(b) In his thirties.
(c) In his fifties.
(d) In his sixties.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
2. What part of the United States does the narrator of the Town-Ho's story claim is much like the sea?
3. Why doesn't the narrator dismiss Bartleby for insubordination?
4. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
5. With what alliteration does Melville describe the islands?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)