|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Melville describe pelicans?
(a) Woebegone and penitential.
(b) Clever and complicated.
(c) Elegant and streamlined.
(d) Modest and humble.
2. What do Steelkilt's three remaining conspirators decide to do to save themselves?
(a) Bind Steelkilt and give him to the captain.
(b) Sneak back to their posts.
(c) Support Steelkilt's mutiny.
(d) Kill Steelkilt.
3. What object does the lookout spot that takes Melville's ship to Norfolk Isle?
(a) A white bird.
(b) A handkerchief.
(c) A burning fire.
(d) An American flag.
4. What do Steelkilt and his men demand in return for obeying orders?
(a) Radney will be punished.
(b) They will not be punished.
(c) They will be given better wages.
(d) They will not have to sweep the decks.
5. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
(a) A Chilean adventurer.
(b) A Bolivian pirate.
(c) A Peruvian king.
(d) A Creole soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Moby Dick an unusual whale?
2. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
3. How does Merrymusk convince the narrator that he is a rich man?
4. What surprises the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" about the owner of the rooster?
5. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)