|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" say he has never felt since the rooster died?
(a) The cheerful joys.
(b) The warm contentment.
(c) The silly slaphappiness.
(d) The doleful dumps.
2. What did buccaneers leave on the islands that Melville claims is proof of their better traits?
(a) Buried treasure.
(b) Planted orchards.
(c) Carved stone furniture.
(d) Planted gardens.
3. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
(a) His creditor is a grumpy person.
(b) His debt was unfairly imposed.
(c) His interest payments are exorbitant.
(d) He is a hospitable, generous man.
4. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
(a) The Confidence Man.
(b) Moby Dick.
(d) Billy Budd.
5. What does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe the rooster's crow is saying?
(d) Glory be to God in the highest!
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Radney dislike Steelkilt?
2. What age is the narrator of Bartleby?
3. With what weapon does Radney threaten Steelkilt?
4. What famous person expressed a good opinion of the narrator of Bartleby?
5. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)