|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
(a) Tax accountant.
2. What does a scrivener do?
(a) Researches legal precedents.
(b) Organizes court records.
(c) Records testimony in court.
(d) Makes copies of legal documents.
3. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
(a) Grandpa, Grumpy, and The Kid.
(b) Turkey, Nippers, and Ginger Nut.
(c) Chompers, Grumpy, and Short Stuff.
(d) Chicken, Rooster, and Cluck.
4. Why does the Town-Ho's captain have to put the ship into port?
(a) There has been a mutiny on board.
(b) It has sprung a leak.
(c) It has run out of supplies.
(d) Its crewmen are ill with scurvy.
5. Why does Radney dislike Steelkilt?
(a) Steelkilt is insubordinate.
(b) Steelkilt is unfriendly.
(c) Steelkilt is rude.
(d) Steelkilt is handsome.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator's middle-aged employee offer to do for Bartleby?
2. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
3. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
4. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
5. What surprises the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" about the owner of the rooster?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)