|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What action does Steelkilt determine to take after being locked in the hold?
(a) He will seize the ship.
(b) He will kill the captain.
(c) He will apologize.
(d) He will kill Radney.
2. Why does Radney dislike Steelkilt?
(a) Steelkilt is handsome.
(b) Steelkilt is insubordinate.
(c) Steelkilt is unfriendly.
(d) Steelkilt is rude.
3. What do the Peruvian listeners force the storyteller to do to prove his story is true?
(a) Produce another witness.
(b) Swear on the Bible.
(c) Show some evidence.
(d) Cross his heart.
4. Why does the Town-Ho's captain have to put the ship into port?
(a) Its crewmen are ill with scurvy.
(b) There has been a mutiny on board.
(c) It has sprung a leak.
(d) It has run out of supplies.
5. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
(a) Sea life is "reckless and barbaric."
(b) Sea life is "daring and brave."
(c) Sea life is "quietly Christian."
(d) Sea life is "calm and pure."
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
2. Whose job is it to normally sweep the deck of a ship?
3. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
4. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
5. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)