|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator in The Town-Ho's story tell his tale?
(a) The Cape of Good Hope.
(b) On the deck of the Pequod.
(c) Lima, Peru.
(d) On the deck of the Town-Ho.
2. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
(a) The rooster reminds him of a song.
(b) The rooster reminds him of a character in a play.
(c) The rooster reminds him of his neighbor.
(d) The rooster reminds him of a character in a book.
3. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
(b) Errand boy.
(c) Legal research.
4. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
(a) They murder the captain.
(b) They give up life on the sea.
(c) They desert the ship.
(d) They call for help.
5. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
(a) A riotocracy.
(b) A theocracy.
(c) A democracy.
(d) A monarchy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises the narrator when he goes to his office on a Sunday?
2. What do the Peruvian listeners force the storyteller to do to prove his story is true?
3. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
4. What part of the United States does the narrator of the Town-Ho's story claim is much like the sea?
5. What previous employment had shaped Bartleby?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)