|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What object does the lookout spot that takes Melville's ship to Norfolk Isle?
(a) An American flag.
(b) A handkerchief.
(c) A white bird.
(d) A burning fire.
2. What do Steelkilt's three remaining conspirators decide to do to save themselves?
(a) Support Steelkilt's mutiny.
(b) Kill Steelkilt.
(c) Bind Steelkilt and give him to the captain.
(d) Sneak back to their posts.
3. How does Melville describe pelicans?
(a) Clever and complicated.
(b) Woebegone and penitential.
(c) Modest and humble.
(d) Elegant and streamlined.
4. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
(c) Errand boy.
(d) Legal research.
5. What emotion does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" say he has never felt since the rooster died?
(a) The warm contentment.
(b) The silly slaphappiness.
(c) The cheerful joys.
(d) The doleful dumps.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous person expressed a good opinion of the narrator of Bartleby?
2. What makes Moby Dick an unusual whale?
3. What do the Peruvian listeners force the storyteller to do to prove his story is true?
4. Who are Pedro and Sebastian in The Town-Ho's Story?
5. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)