|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a scrivener do?
(a) Makes copies of legal documents.
(b) Organizes court records.
(c) Records testimony in court.
(d) Researches legal precedents.
2. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
(a) A riotocracy.
(b) A theocracy.
(c) A democracy.
(d) A monarchy.
3. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) Fascination and charm.
(b) Beauty and peace.
(c) Solitude and desolation.
(d) Silence and serenity.
4. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
(a) Bartleby's friendship.
(c) The approval of his employees.
(d) The approval of his peers.
5. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
(a) His creditor.
(b) His banker.
(c) His neighbor.
(d) His wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bartleby's demeanor show about his eccentricities?
2. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
3. How does Bartleby respond to the other employees?
4. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
5. What action does Steelkilt determine to take after being locked in the hold?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)