|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2 - Bartleby, the Scrivener: A Story of Wall-Street.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the captain decide not to flog Steelkilt?
(a) He suddenly feels ashamed of his own behavior.
(b) Steelkilt makes an inaudible threat.
(c) He suddenly feels the menace of the rest of the crew.
(d) He suddenly feels sorry for Steelkilt.
2. Why doesn't the narrator dismiss Bartleby for insubordination?
(a) Bartleby is obviously emotionally upset.
(b) Bartleby is calm, showing no emotion.
(c) Bartleby promises to improve.
(d) Bartleby is distressed.
3. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
(a) Master of Chancery.
(c) Justice of the Peace.
(d) County Coroner.
4. What do Steelkilt and his men demand in return for obeying orders?
(a) They will not be punished.
(b) They will not have to sweep the decks.
(c) They will be given better wages.
(d) Radney will be punished.
5. What does the crew decide not to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
(a) Call out when whales were sighted.
(b) Desert together.
(c) Start a mutiny.
(d) Obey the captain.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
2. Why does Radney dislike Steelkilt?
3. What famous person expressed a good opinion of the narrator of Bartleby?
4. Why does the Town-Ho's captain have to put the ship into port?
5. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)