|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2 - Bartleby, the Scrivener: A Story of Wall-Street.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What action does Steelkilt determine to take after being locked in the hold?
(a) He will kill Radney.
(b) He will seize the ship.
(c) He will apologize.
(d) He will kill the captain.
2. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
(a) Master of Chancery.
(c) County Coroner.
(d) Justice of the Peace.
3. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
(a) They murder the captain.
(b) They call for help.
(c) They desert the ship.
(d) They give up life on the sea.
4. What does a scrivener do?
(a) Records testimony in court.
(b) Makes copies of legal documents.
(c) Researches legal precedents.
(d) Organizes court records.
5. Why does the captain decide not to flog Steelkilt?
(a) He suddenly feels sorry for Steelkilt.
(b) He suddenly feels the menace of the rest of the crew.
(c) He suddenly feels ashamed of his own behavior.
(d) Steelkilt makes an inaudible threat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prevents Steelkilt from taking revenge on Radney?
2. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
3. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
4. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
5. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)