|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2 - Bartleby, the Scrivener: A Story of Wall-Street.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises the narrator when he goes to his office on a Sunday?
(a) Bartleby has been working on the weekend.
(b) Bartleby has invited friends to the office.
(c) Bartleby has been living there.
(d) Bartleby has stolen his things.
2. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
(a) Questions his own mind.
(b) Acquiesces out of courtesy.
(c) Digs in his heels.
(d) Doubts the other person.
3. What do Steelkilt and his men demand in return for obeying orders?
(a) They will be given better wages.
(b) Radney will be punished.
(c) They will not be punished.
(d) They will not have to sweep the decks.
4. Whose job is it to normally sweep the deck of a ship?
(a) The boys on board.
(b) The men on watch.
(c) The lowest seaman.
(d) All members of the work gangs.
5. Who are Pedro and Sebastian in The Town-Ho's Story?
(a) Friends of the narrator.
(c) Sailors on the Town-Ho.
(d) Sailors on the Pequod.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
2. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
3. With what weapon does Radney threaten Steelkilt?
4. What does Bartleby's demeanor show about his eccentricities?
5. What action does Steelkilt determine to take after being locked in the hold?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)