|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2 - Bartleby, the Scrivener: A Story of Wall-Street.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
(a) Digs in his heels.
(b) Doubts the other person.
(c) Questions his own mind.
(d) Acquiesces out of courtesy.
2. What makes Moby Dick an unusual whale?
(a) He has supernatural powers.
(b) He is unusually small, white, and intelligent.
(c) He is unusually large, white, and vengeful.
(d) He is intelligent and communicates with people.
3. What do Steelkilt and his men demand in return for obeying orders?
(a) They will be given better wages.
(b) They will not have to sweep the decks.
(c) They will not be punished.
(d) Radney will be punished.
4. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
(a) It would be unfair.
(b) It would spark a mutiny.
(c) It would lead to a admiralty investigation.
(d) It would justify Radney's dishonorable actions.
5. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
(a) Chompers, Grumpy, and Short Stuff.
(b) Grandpa, Grumpy, and The Kid.
(c) Turkey, Nippers, and Ginger Nut.
(d) Chicken, Rooster, and Cluck.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
2. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
3. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
4. Why does Radney dislike Steelkilt?
5. How does Bartleby respond to the other employees?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)