|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2 - Bartleby, the Scrivener: A Story of Wall-Street.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
(a) Moby Dick.
(b) The Confidence Man.
(c) Billy Budd.
2. What does the crew decide not to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
(a) Call out when whales were sighted.
(b) Start a mutiny.
(c) Obey the captain.
(d) Desert together.
3. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
(a) Ginger nuts.
(d) Pine nuts.
4. Why does Radney dislike Steelkilt?
(a) Steelkilt is unfriendly.
(b) Steelkilt is rude.
(c) Steelkilt is insubordinate.
(d) Steelkilt is handsome.
5. What does a scrivener do?
(a) Makes copies of legal documents.
(b) Organizes court records.
(c) Records testimony in court.
(d) Researches legal precedents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do both the captain and Steelkilt go after they separate?
2. How does Bartleby respond to the other employees?
3. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
4. How does the narrator accommodate the weakness of his oldest scrivener?
5. Where does the narrator in The Town-Ho's story tell his tale?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)