|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2 - Bartleby, the Scrivener: A Story of Wall-Street.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator accommodate the weakness of his oldest scrivener?
(a) By allowing him to work only half a day.
(b) By giving him unimportant papers in the morning.
(c) By giving him unimportant papers in the afternoon.
(d) By hiring an assistant for him.
2. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
(a) Grandpa, Grumpy, and The Kid.
(b) Turkey, Nippers, and Ginger Nut.
(c) Chompers, Grumpy, and Short Stuff.
(d) Chicken, Rooster, and Cluck.
3. What are the two failings the narrator sees in his middle-aged scrivener?
(a) A bad temper and gambling.
(b) Ambition and indigestion.
(c) Indigestion and messiness.
(d) Dishonesty and ambition.
4. What good qualities does Bartleby have as an employee?
(a) He is enthusiastic and energetic.
(b) He is eager to help.
(c) He is amiable and friendly.
(d) He is hard-working and honest.
5. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
(a) Digs in his heels.
(b) Questions his own mind.
(c) Doubts the other person.
(d) Acquiesces out of courtesy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Radney dislike Steelkilt?
2. What does Bartleby's demeanor show about his eccentricities?
3. Why does the captain decide not to flog Steelkilt?
4. What does the crew decide to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
5. What do Steelkilt's three remaining conspirators decide to do to save themselves?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)