|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2 - Bartleby, the Scrivener: A Story of Wall-Street.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Steelkilt threaten to do if he is flogged by the captain?
(a) Tell the admiralty board of review.
(b) Jump overboard.
(c) Murder the captain.
(d) Seek an unnamed revenge.
2. How does the narrator accommodate the weakness of his oldest scrivener?
(a) By giving him unimportant papers in the morning.
(b) By hiring an assistant for him.
(c) By giving him unimportant papers in the afternoon.
(d) By allowing him to work only half a day.
3. What famous person expressed a good opinion of the narrator of Bartleby?
(a) John D. Rockefeller.
(b) John Jacob Astor.
(c) Andrew Carnegie.
(d) Theodore Roosevelt.
4. Why does the captain decide not to flog Steelkilt?
(a) He suddenly feels the menace of the rest of the crew.
(b) Steelkilt makes an inaudible threat.
(c) He suddenly feels sorry for Steelkilt.
(d) He suddenly feels ashamed of his own behavior.
5. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
(a) Doubts the other person.
(b) Acquiesces out of courtesy.
(c) Digs in his heels.
(d) Questions his own mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Steelkilt and his men demand in return for obeying orders?
2. What age is the narrator of Bartleby?
3. How does Steelkilt respond to Radney's request that he sweep the deck?
4. What makes Moby Dick an unusual whale?
5. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)