|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2 - Bartleby, the Scrivener: A Story of Wall-Street.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Peruvian listeners force the storyteller to do to prove his story is true?
(a) Swear on the Bible.
(b) Show some evidence.
(c) Cross his heart.
(d) Produce another witness.
2. Who are Pedro and Sebastian in The Town-Ho's Story?
(a) Friends of the narrator.
(c) Sailors on the Town-Ho.
(d) Sailors on the Pequod.
3. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
(a) Sea life is "reckless and barbaric."
(b) Sea life is "daring and brave."
(c) Sea life is "calm and pure."
(d) Sea life is "quietly Christian."
4. What makes Moby Dick an unusual whale?
(a) He is unusually large, white, and vengeful.
(b) He has supernatural powers.
(c) He is intelligent and communicates with people.
(d) He is unusually small, white, and intelligent.
5. What age is the narrator of Bartleby?
(a) In his thirties.
(b) In his sixties.
(c) In his fifties.
(d) In his forties.
Short Answer Questions
1. What good qualities does Bartleby have as an employee?
2. What does the crew decide not to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
3. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
4. What part of the United States does the narrator of the Town-Ho's story claim is much like the sea?
5. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)