|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2 - Bartleby, the Scrivener: A Story of Wall-Street.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Peruvian listeners force the storyteller to do to prove his story is true?
(a) Produce another witness.
(b) Show some evidence.
(c) Cross his heart.
(d) Swear on the Bible.
2. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
(a) Bartleby's friendship.
(c) The approval of his peers.
(d) The approval of his employees.
3. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
(a) It would be unfair.
(b) It would lead to a admiralty investigation.
(c) It would justify Radney's dishonorable actions.
(d) It would spark a mutiny.
4. What action does Steelkilt determine to take after being locked in the hold?
(a) He will kill Radney.
(b) He will kill the captain.
(c) He will apologize.
(d) He will seize the ship.
5. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
(a) Bartleby is not cheerful.
(b) Bartleby is only occasionally industrious.
(c) Bartleby is frighteningly mechanical.
(d) Bartleby is relentlessly cheerful.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Steelkilt respond to Radney's request that he sweep the deck?
2. What prevents Steelkilt from taking revenge on Radney?
3. Why doesn't the narrator dismiss Bartleby for insubordination?
4. What do Steelkilt's three remaining conspirators decide to do to save themselves?
5. What does the crew decide to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)