|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2 - Bartleby, the Scrivener: A Story of Wall-Street.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator's middle-aged employee offer to do for Bartleby?
(a) Teach him manners.
(b) Black his eyes.
(c) Fire him.
(d) Teach him better work habits.
2. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
(b) Errand boy.
(c) Legal research.
3. Whose job is it to normally sweep the deck of a ship?
(a) The boys on board.
(b) The men on watch.
(c) The lowest seaman.
(d) All members of the work gangs.
4. What makes Moby Dick an unusual whale?
(a) He is intelligent and communicates with people.
(b) He has supernatural powers.
(c) He is unusually large, white, and vengeful.
(d) He is unusually small, white, and intelligent.
5. What are the two failings the narrator sees in his middle-aged scrivener?
(a) Dishonesty and ambition.
(b) A bad temper and gambling.
(c) Indigestion and messiness.
(d) Ambition and indigestion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
2. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
3. Who are Pedro and Sebastian in The Town-Ho's Story?
4. How does Bartleby respond to the other employees?
5. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)