|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2 - Bartleby, the Scrivener: A Story of Wall-Street.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What famous person expressed a good opinion of the narrator of Bartleby?
(a) John Jacob Astor.
(b) Andrew Carnegie.
(c) Theodore Roosevelt.
(d) John D. Rockefeller.
2. What quality of Bartleby's induces the narrator to hire him?
(a) Bartleby is sedate.
(b) Bartleby is efficient.
(c) Bartleby is energetic.
(d) Bartleby is friendly.
3. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
(a) Pine nuts.
(b) Ginger nuts.
4. Who are Pedro and Sebastian in The Town-Ho's Story?
(a) Friends of the narrator.
(c) Sailors on the Town-Ho.
(d) Sailors on the Pequod.
5. What good qualities does Bartleby have as an employee?
(a) He is enthusiastic and energetic.
(b) He is hard-working and honest.
(c) He is amiable and friendly.
(d) He is eager to help.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
2. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
3. What are the two failings the narrator sees in his middle-aged scrivener?
4. What does a scrivener do?
5. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)