|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2 - Bartleby, the Scrivener: A Story of Wall-Street.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bartleby respond to the other employees?
(a) He emulates them.
(b) He thanks them.
(c) He resents them.
(d) He ignores them.
2. How does Steelkilt respond to Radney's request that he sweep the deck?
(a) He loudly refuses.
(b) He quietly refuses.
(c) He meekly obeys.
(d) He complains loudly.
3. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
(a) Sea life is "calm and pure."
(b) Sea life is "quietly Christian."
(c) Sea life is "daring and brave."
(d) Sea life is "reckless and barbaric."
4. What part of the United States does the narrator of the Town-Ho's story claim is much like the sea?
(a) Lake Tahoe.
(b) The Erie Canal.
(c) The Great Lakes region.
(d) The Mississippi.
5. Whose job is it to normally sweep the deck of a ship?
(a) All members of the work gangs.
(b) The boys on board.
(c) The lowest seaman.
(d) The men on watch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the arrangement of the office allow Bartleby to do with the narrator?
2. Where does the narrator in The Town-Ho's story tell his tale?
3. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
4. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
5. What action does Steelkilt determine to take after being locked in the hold?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)