|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2 - Bartleby, the Scrivener: A Story of Wall-Street.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What quality of Bartleby's induces the narrator to hire him?
(a) Bartleby is energetic.
(b) Bartleby is sedate.
(c) Bartleby is friendly.
(d) Bartleby is efficient.
2. What does Steelkilt threaten to do if he is flogged by the captain?
(a) Jump overboard.
(b) Tell the admiralty board of review.
(c) Seek an unnamed revenge.
(d) Murder the captain.
3. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
(a) They think Bartleby should be excused.
(b) They think Bartleby should be forgiven.
(c) They think Bartleby should be fired.
(d) They think Bartleby should be promoted.
4. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
(a) The approval of his peers.
(b) Bartleby's friendship.
(c) The approval of his employees.
5. What surprises the narrator when he goes to his office on a Sunday?
(a) Bartleby has stolen his things.
(b) Bartleby has been living there.
(c) Bartleby has invited friends to the office.
(d) Bartleby has been working on the weekend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Radney dislike Steelkilt?
2. How does Bartleby respond to the other employees?
3. What previous employment had shaped Bartleby?
4. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
5. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)