|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2 - Bartleby, the Scrivener: A Story of Wall-Street.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the crew decide to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
(a) Murder Radney.
(b) Desert together.
(c) Start a mutiny.
(d) Obey the captain.
2. What makes Moby Dick an unusual whale?
(a) He is unusually large, white, and vengeful.
(b) He is intelligent and communicates with people.
(c) He is unusually small, white, and intelligent.
(d) He has supernatural powers.
3. What quality of Bartleby's induces the narrator to hire him?
(a) Bartleby is friendly.
(b) Bartleby is efficient.
(c) Bartleby is energetic.
(d) Bartleby is sedate.
4. What does a scrivener do?
(a) Organizes court records.
(b) Records testimony in court.
(c) Makes copies of legal documents.
(d) Researches legal precedents.
5. How does Bartleby respond to the other employees?
(a) He resents them.
(b) He thanks them.
(c) He emulates them.
(d) He ignores them.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
2. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
3. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
4. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
5. What age is the narrator of Bartleby?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)