|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2 - Bartleby, the Scrivener: A Story of Wall-Street.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Steelkilt threaten to do if he is flogged by the captain?
(a) Seek an unnamed revenge.
(b) Murder the captain.
(c) Jump overboard.
(d) Tell the admiralty board of review.
2. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
(a) Chicken, Rooster, and Cluck.
(b) Chompers, Grumpy, and Short Stuff.
(c) Turkey, Nippers, and Ginger Nut.
(d) Grandpa, Grumpy, and The Kid.
3. What action does Steelkilt determine to take after being locked in the hold?
(a) He will kill Radney.
(b) He will kill the captain.
(c) He will apologize.
(d) He will seize the ship.
4. What do Steelkilt's three remaining conspirators decide to do to save themselves?
(a) Support Steelkilt's mutiny.
(b) Sneak back to their posts.
(c) Kill Steelkilt.
(d) Bind Steelkilt and give him to the captain.
5. What does the crew decide not to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
(a) Desert together.
(b) Start a mutiny.
(c) Obey the captain.
(d) Call out when whales were sighted.
Short Answer Questions
1. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
2. How does Bartleby respond to the other employees?
3. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
4. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
5. What do Steelkilt and his men demand in return for obeying orders?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)