|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2 - Bartleby, the Scrivener: A Story of Wall-Street.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
(a) Moby Dick.
(c) Billy Budd.
(d) The Confidence Man.
2. What prevents Steelkilt from taking revenge on Radney?
(a) Moby Dick kills Radney.
(b) Radney apologizes.
(c) The captain orders Radney executed.
(d) Steelkilt has a change of heart.
3. Why doesn't the narrator dismiss Bartleby for insubordination?
(a) Bartleby is distressed.
(b) Bartleby is calm, showing no emotion.
(c) Bartleby promises to improve.
(d) Bartleby is obviously emotionally upset.
4. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
(a) They are picturesquely wicked.
(b) They are mild and calm.
(c) They are strong and virtuous.
(d) They are sneaky and subtle.
5. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
(a) Errand boy.
(d) Legal research.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Pedro and Sebastian in The Town-Ho's Story?
2. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
3. What age is the narrator of Bartleby?
4. Why does the captain decide not to flog Steelkilt?
5. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)