|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2 - Bartleby, the Scrivener: A Story of Wall-Street.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose job is it to normally sweep the deck of a ship?
(a) The men on watch.
(b) The lowest seaman.
(c) All members of the work gangs.
(d) The boys on board.
2. With what weapon does Radney threaten Steelkilt?
(a) A hammer.
(b) A rope.
(c) A knife.
(d) A gun.
3. Where does the narrator in The Town-Ho's story tell his tale?
(a) The Cape of Good Hope.
(b) On the deck of the Pequod.
(c) Lima, Peru.
(d) On the deck of the Town-Ho.
4. Why does the captain decide not to flog Steelkilt?
(a) Steelkilt makes an inaudible threat.
(b) He suddenly feels ashamed of his own behavior.
(c) He suddenly feels the menace of the rest of the crew.
(d) He suddenly feels sorry for Steelkilt.
5. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
(b) Bartleby's friendship.
(c) The approval of his employees.
(d) The approval of his peers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the United States does the narrator of the Town-Ho's story claim is much like the sea?
2. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
3. How does Bartleby respond to the other employees?
4. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
5. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)