|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What human assumption does Melville say is the most preposterous?
(a) Understanding of the rich by the poor.
(b) Criticism of the rich by the poor.
(c) Understanding of the poor by the rich.
(d) Criticism of the poor by the rich.
2. Why is the strange ship low on provisions?
(a) They have been becalmed.
(b) They have been lost.
(c) They have been under supplied.
(d) They have taken on additional passengers.
3. How does Captain Delano evaluate Babo when he first meets him?
(a) Captain Delano evalutes Babo as a devoted companion.
(b) Captain Delano evaluates Babo as woefully ignorant.
(c) Captain Delano evalutes Babo as vaguely threatening.
(d) Captain Delano evaluates Babo as uncomfortably familiar.
4. How does the narrator get into the London theater presentation?
(a) He pawns his overcoat to buy a ticket.
(b) He sneaks in a side door.
(c) He finds a ticket on the sidewalk.
(d) A stranger gives him a ticket.
5. Who is Atufal?
(a) Babo's best friend.
(b) A chained slave.
(c) A leader of the slaves.
(d) A complaining woman among the slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bartleby's demeanor show about his eccentricities?
2. What god does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" think the salesman resembles?
3. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" do with his manuscripts?
4. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
5. What object does the lookout spot that takes Melville's ship to Norfolk Isle?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)