|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12 - Benito Cereno.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what alliteration does Melville describe the islands?
(a) Dark, doleful doomsday.
(b) Extensive elegant exotica.
(c) Fruitful festival of fecundity.
(d) An archipelago of aridities.
2. How much does the uncle in "The Happy Failure" think his invention is worth?
(a) More than gold.
(b) More than silver.
(c) More than a life's work.
(d) More than his house.
3. What did the failure of his invention do for the uncle in "The Happy Failure?"
(a) Made him a good man.
(b) Made him more determined.
(c) Made him furious.
(d) Made him disappointed.
4. To what sight in the city does Melville compare the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) A pile of leaves.
(b) A pile of trash.
(c) A pile of rocks.
(d) A pile of cinders.
5. How does the lightning rod salesman feel about thunderstorms?
(a) He is assured of his own safety.
(b) He is confident.
(c) He is relaxed and unafraid.
(d) He is terrified.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the arrangement of the office allow Bartleby to do with the narrator?
2. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
3. What was the message of the church meeting the narrator observed?
4. What is the temperature at the mill?
5. How does Merrymusk convince the narrator that he is a rich man?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)