|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5 - 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises the narrator when he goes to his office on a Sunday?
(a) Bartleby has been living there.
(b) Bartleby has invited friends to the office.
(c) Bartleby has been working on the weekend.
(d) Bartleby has stolen his things.
2. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
(a) The bat.
(b) The walrus.
(c) The cormorant.
(d) The penguin.
3. How does Melville describe pelicans?
(a) Modest and humble.
(b) Woebegone and penitential.
(c) Clever and complicated.
(d) Elegant and streamlined.
4. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
(c) Ginger nuts.
(d) Pine nuts.
5. What does Melville say is the most populous species on the island of Albermarle?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
2. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
3. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
4. How does the narrator of "The Two Temples" attend the meeting at the church?
5. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)