|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't the narrator dismiss Bartleby for insubordination?
(a) Bartleby is obviously emotionally upset.
(b) Bartleby is distressed.
(c) Bartleby is calm, showing no emotion.
(d) Bartleby promises to improve.
2. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view locomotives and steamships?
(a) As symbols of human ingenuity.
(b) As uniters of families.
(c) As harbingers of a bright future.
(d) As instruments of destruction.
3. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
4. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
(a) Legal research.
(c) Errand boy.
5. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
(a) His neighbor.
(b) His wife.
(c) His creditor.
(d) His banker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prevents Steelkilt from taking revenge on Radney?
2. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
3. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
4. What emotion does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" say he has never felt since the rooster died?
5. What does a scrivener do?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)