|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Melville say is the most populous species on the island of Albermarle?
2. What quality of Bartleby's induces the narrator to hire him?
(a) Bartleby is sedate.
(b) Bartleby is friendly.
(c) Bartleby is energetic.
(d) Bartleby is efficient.
3. Why does Coulter come home for lunch?
(a) To please his wife.
(b) To get exercise from the walk.
(c) To enjoy a hot meal.
(d) To rest a little while.
4. What had Hautboy lost in order to succeed?
5. Who finally persuaded the narrator of "I and My Chimney" to knock a few feet off the chimney?
(a) His neighbor.
(b) His wife.
(c) His mortgage holder
(d) His daughters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
2. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
3. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
4. What is the narrator's condition when he goes to the theater in London?
5. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)