|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
(a) A theocracy.
(b) A monarchy.
(c) A democracy.
(d) A riotocracy.
2. What does the arrangement of the office allow Bartleby to do with the narrator?
(a) Neither see him nor hear him.
(b) Both see and hear him.
(c) See him but not hear him.
(d) Hear him but not see him.
3. What do Steelkilt's three remaining conspirators decide to do to save themselves?
(a) Kill Steelkilt.
(b) Support Steelkilt's mutiny.
(c) Sneak back to their posts.
(d) Bind Steelkilt and give him to the captain.
4. What first alarms the narrator about the apple-tree table?
(a) A sense of pervading evil.
(b) A steady drip.
(c) A ticking sound.
(d) A mysterious odor.
5. How does Melville describe pelicans?
(a) Modest and humble.
(b) Woebegone and penitential.
(c) Elegant and streamlined.
(d) Clever and complicated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Melville hope to do for the Marquis de Grandvin?
2. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
3. What does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe the rooster's crow is saying?
4. Who lives in the cottage that the narrator of "The Piazza" finds in the mountains?
5. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)