|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "The Piazza" believe the soil is richer around the cottage that he finds?
(a) There is a sense of blessedness there.
(b) The garden is obviously well-fed there.
(c) The owners have planted there.
(d) There is more sunlight there.
2. What loss of John Gentian's is noticed most on May thirtieth?
(a) His empty sleeve.
(b) His blinded eye.
(c) His missing ear.
(d) His limp.
3. Who wrote the book lying on the apple-tree table?
(a) Cotton Mather.
4. What effect does the Marquis de Grandvin have on those around him?
(a) His presence is enriching.
(b) His presence is embarrassing.
(c) His presence is irritating.
(d) His presence is confusing.
5. What human assumption does Melville say is the most preposterous?
(a) Understanding of the poor by the rich.
(b) Understanding of the rich by the poor.
(c) Criticism of the poor by the rich.
(d) Criticism of the rich by the poor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What quality of Bartleby's induces the narrator to hire him?
2. Why does the Town-Ho's captain have to put the ship into port?
3. In "I and My Chimney," what is the narrator's wife's maxim?
4. What surprises the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" about the owner of the rooster?
5. What do the Peruvian listeners force the storyteller to do to prove his story is true?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)