|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
(a) His debt was unfairly imposed.
(b) His interest payments are exorbitant.
(c) His creditor is a grumpy person.
(d) He is a hospitable, generous man.
2. What is the narrator's condition when he goes to the theater in London?
(a) He is bored and overfed.
(b) He is broke and alone.
(c) He is well-fed and relaxed.
(d) He is comfortable and among friends.
3. What are the two failings the narrator sees in his middle-aged scrivener?
(a) A bad temper and gambling.
(b) Indigestion and messiness.
(c) Dishonesty and ambition.
(d) Ambition and indigestion.
4. How does Merrymusk convince the narrator that he is a rich man?
(a) He has a rooster worth five hundred dollars.
(b) He has a large family.
(c) He has a large tract of land.
(d) He has a barn full of hay.
5. How does Captain Delano evaluate Benito Cereno's condition when he first meets him?
(a) Captain Delano evalutes Benito Cereno as cruel.
(b) Captain Delano perceives Benito Cereno to be physically and mentally disabled.
(c) Captain Delano evalutes Benito Cereno as dictatorial.
(d) Captain Delano evaluates Benito Cereno as weak and ineffectual.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
2. How does the narrator accommodate the weakness of his oldest scrivener?
3. What caused the loss of Jimmy Rose's fortune?
4. What good qualities does Bartleby have as an employee?
5. What do Steelkilt's three remaining conspirators decide to do to save themselves?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)