|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do "'Gees" come from?
2. How does the narrator of "The Apple-Tree Table" feel as his wife and daughters become more frightened?
(a) He feels more frightened than they.
(b) He feels braver.
(c) He feels numb.
(d) He feels worse.
3. What does Steelkilt threaten to do if he is flogged by the captain?
(a) Jump overboard.
(b) Tell the admiralty board of review.
(c) Seek an unnamed revenge.
(d) Murder the captain.
4. What is unusual about the strange ship's figurehead?
(a) It is a plain, unmarked beak.
(b) It is covered in canvas wrapping.
(c) It is beautifully carved.
(d) It is obviously from Castile.
5. Why does Coulter come home for lunch?
(a) To rest a little while.
(b) To get exercise from the walk.
(c) To please his wife.
(d) To enjoy a hot meal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emblem does John Gentian wear on his left lapel?
2. What does the narrator's middle-aged employee offer to do for Bartleby?
3. What caused the bell-ringing automaton to kill Bannadonna?
4. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
5. What causes Captain Delano to suspect Benito Cereno is an impostor?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)