|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What good qualities does Bartleby have as an employee?
(a) He is eager to help.
(b) He is enthusiastic and energetic.
(c) He is hard-working and honest.
(d) He is amiable and friendly.
2. What rumor pursues Daniel Orme into his life on shore?
(a) He was a buccaneer.
(b) He was Frenchman.
(c) He was a war hero.
(d) He was a thief.
3. What does John Gentian say are caused by stirring deeds?
(a) Stirring thoughts.
(b) Stirring songs.
(c) Stirring novels.
(d) Stirring rhymes.
4. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
(b) Moby Dick.
(c) The Confidence Man.
(d) Billy Budd.
5. How does the narrator get into the London theater presentation?
(a) He sneaks in a side door.
(b) He finds a ticket on the sidewalk.
(c) He pawns his overcoat to buy a ticket.
(d) A stranger gives him a ticket.
Short Answer Questions
1. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
2. In "I and My Chimney," what is the narrator's wife's maxim?
3. What are the two failings the narrator sees in his middle-aged scrivener?
4. On what holiday does John Gentian converse with passers-by?
5. To what did Captain Delano attribute Benito Cereno's ineffectiveness as captain?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)