|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Captain Delano to suspect Benito Cereno is an impostor?
(a) His bad manners.
(b) His weakness in command.
(c) His ignorance of seamanship.
(d) His confusion.
2. What indicates to Captain Delano that the strange ship may be in trouble?
(a) The ship is bound for an uninhabited island.
(b) The ship flies no flag.
(c) The ship is giving a distress signal.
(d) The ship seems uncertain of its direction.
3. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
(a) They are sneaky and subtle.
(b) They are strong and virtuous.
(c) They are mild and calm.
(d) They are picturesquely wicked.
4. What was the message of the church meeting the narrator observed?
(a) "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's."
(b) "Hide not your light under a bushel."
(c) "Repent and be saved."
(d) "Ye are the salt of the earth."
5. Why does the captain decide not to flog Steelkilt?
(a) He suddenly feels sorry for Steelkilt.
(b) He suddenly feels the menace of the rest of the crew.
(c) He suddenly feels ashamed of his own behavior.
(d) Steelkilt makes an inaudible threat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the lightning rod salesman claim that his rods are superior?
2. Where do both the captain and Steelkilt go after they separate?
3. What mythical character does the narrator say would have failed at his task if the chimney had then been in existence?
4. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
5. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)