|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Poor Man's Pudding?
(a) Flour, sugar, cinnamon, and milk.
(b) Milk, eggs, and sugar.
(c) Rice, milk, and salt.
(d) Water, salt, and flour.
2. What is the attitude of the bachelors in the Temple toward pain and trouble?
(a) Pain and trouble are for other people.
(b) Pain and trouble are nonexistent.
(c) Pain and trouble are everywhere.
(d) Pain and trouble are unavoidable.
3. What causes Captain Delano to suspect Benito Cereno is an impostor?
(a) His confusion.
(b) His bad manners.
(c) His ignorance of seamanship.
(d) His weakness in command.
4. What has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" invented?
(a) A device for purifying water.
(b) A device for building dams.
(c) A device for diverting rivers.
(d) A device for draining swamps.
5. What loss of John Gentian's is noticed most on May thirtieth?
(a) His limp.
(b) His blinded eye.
(c) His missing ear.
(d) His empty sleeve.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Town-Ho's captain have to put the ship into port?
2. What did the failure of his invention do for the uncle in "The Happy Failure?"
3. To what sight in the city does Melville compare the islands of the Encantadas?
4. On what holiday does John Gentian converse with passers-by?
5. What animal from the islands supplies sailors with food and utensils?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)