|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose job is it to normally sweep the deck of a ship?
(a) All members of the work gangs.
(b) The lowest seaman.
(c) The men on watch.
(d) The boys on board.
2. How does the narrator get into the London theater presentation?
(a) He sneaks in a side door.
(b) He pawns his overcoat to buy a ticket.
(c) He finds a ticket on the sidewalk.
(d) A stranger gives him a ticket.
3. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" aspire to become?
4. What surprises Captain Delano when he first sees Benito Cereno's ship?
(a) The ship doesn't fly the flag of any nation.
(b) The ship is in ill repair.
(c) The ship is giving a distress signal.
(d) The ship is bound for an uninhabited island.
5. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
(a) The approval of his peers.
(b) The approval of his employees.
(d) Bartleby's friendship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal from the islands supplies sailors with food and utensils?
2. What surprises the narrator when he goes to his office on a Sunday?
3. What loss of John Gentian's is noticed most on May thirtieth?
4. Why is the strange ship low on provisions?
5. How does Melville describe Captain Delano's personality?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)