|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Melville say is the most populous species on the island of Albermarle?
2. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
(a) They think Bartleby should be forgiven.
(b) They think Bartleby should be promoted.
(c) They think Bartleby should be fired.
(d) They think Bartleby should be excused.
3. What does John Gentian say are caused by stirring deeds?
(a) Stirring thoughts.
(b) Stirring songs.
(c) Stirring rhymes.
(d) Stirring novels.
4. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
(a) A Peruvian king.
(b) A Bolivian pirate.
(c) A Creole soldier.
(d) A Chilean adventurer.
5. What do the Peruvian listeners force the storyteller to do to prove his story is true?
(a) Cross his heart.
(b) Produce another witness.
(c) Swear on the Bible.
(d) Show some evidence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a scrivener do?
2. What emblem does John Gentian wear on his left lapel?
3. How do the bachelors in the Temple keep time?
4. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
5. What had Hautboy lost in order to succeed?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)