|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the failure of his invention do for the uncle in "The Happy Failure?"
(a) Made him furious.
(b) Made him more determined.
(c) Made him disappointed.
(d) Made him a good man.
2. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
(a) A Chilean adventurer.
(b) A Creole soldier.
(c) A Bolivian pirate.
(d) A Peruvian king.
3. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
(a) His banker.
(b) His neighbor.
(c) His wife.
(d) His creditor.
4. Why is the strange ship low on provisions?
(a) They have been becalmed.
(b) They have been lost.
(c) They have taken on additional passengers.
(d) They have been under supplied.
5. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
(a) Questions his own mind.
(b) Doubts the other person.
(c) Acquiesces out of courtesy.
(d) Digs in his heels.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the American ship, the Essex, see in the Encantadas?
2. What age is the narrator of Bartleby?
3. Who finally persuaded the narrator of "I and My Chimney" to knock a few feet off the chimney?
4. What does Melville say is the most populous species on the island of Albermarle?
5. How does Melville describe pelicans?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)