|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the crew decide not to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
(a) Obey the captain.
(b) Desert together.
(c) Call out when whales were sighted.
(d) Start a mutiny.
2. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
(a) Turkey, Nippers, and Ginger Nut.
(b) Chicken, Rooster, and Cluck.
(c) Chompers, Grumpy, and Short Stuff.
(d) Grandpa, Grumpy, and The Kid.
3. What does John Gentian say are caused by stirring deeds?
(a) Stirring songs.
(b) Stirring novels.
(c) Stirring thoughts.
(d) Stirring rhymes.
4. What is the narrator's condition when he goes to the theater in London?
(a) He is comfortable and among friends.
(b) He is well-fed and relaxed.
(c) He is bored and overfed.
(d) He is broke and alone.
5. Why does the narrator of "The Piazza" believe the soil is richer around the cottage that he finds?
(a) The owners have planted there.
(b) There is more sunlight there.
(c) There is a sense of blessedness there.
(d) The garden is obviously well-fed there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the United States does the narrator of the Town-Ho's story claim is much like the sea?
2. What had Hautboy lost in order to succeed?
3. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
4. What surprises the narrator when he goes to his office on a Sunday?
5. What do Steelkilt's three remaining conspirators decide to do to save themselves?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)