|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Melville hope to do for the Marquis de Grandvin?
(a) Make him immortal.
(b) Make him happy.
(c) Make him rich.
(d) Make him famous.
2. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
(a) Sea life is "quietly Christian."
(b) Sea life is "calm and pure."
(c) Sea life is "daring and brave."
(d) Sea life is "reckless and barbaric."
3. What causes Captain Delano to suspect Benito Cereno is an impostor?
(a) His ignorance of seamanship.
(b) His weakness in command.
(c) His bad manners.
(d) His confusion.
4. Where do "'Gees" come from?
5. What previous employment had shaped Bartleby?
(a) Working in a morgue.
(b) Working on a locomotive.
(c) Working as a court reporter.
(d) Working in a dead letter office.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do both the captain and Steelkilt go after they separate?
2. Who lives in the cottage that the narrator of "The Piazza" finds in the mountains?
3. What happens to the rooster when the Merrymusk family dies?
4. To what did Captain Delano attribute Benito Cereno's ineffectiveness as captain?
5. What habit of the bachelors in the Temple does the narrator wish to introduce in his own country?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)