|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What previous employment had shaped Bartleby?
(a) Working as a court reporter.
(b) Working in a morgue.
(c) Working on a locomotive.
(d) Working in a dead letter office.
2. What does the narrator's wife think of his apprehension about the apple-tree table?
(a) She thinks he is making it up.
(b) She thinks he is drunk.
(c) She thinks he is crazy.
(d) She thinks he is trying to frighten her.
3. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
(a) Chicken, Rooster, and Cluck.
(b) Chompers, Grumpy, and Short Stuff.
(c) Grandpa, Grumpy, and The Kid.
(d) Turkey, Nippers, and Ginger Nut.
4. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
(a) The table is old.
(b) The table is unusually beautiful.
(c) The table is Satanic-looking.
(d) The table is inscribed with signs and symbols.
5. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
(b) Pine nuts.
(d) Ginger nuts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "Jimmy Rose" refuse to change the wallpaper in his parlor?
2. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
3. What did Jimmy Rose have to offer the rich after he lost his fortune?
4. Who are Pedro and Sebastian in The Town-Ho's Story?
5. What has Hautboy accomplished in "The Fiddler?"
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)