|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17 - 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emblem does John Gentian refuse to wear?
(a) Any emblem of wealth.
(b) Any Civil War emblem.
(c) Any Revolutionary War emblem.
(d) Any American flag.
2. What was the disadvantage of building the piazza on the north side of the house?
(a) The north side faces the neighbors.
(b) The north side is coldest.
(c) The north side has the narrowest view.
(d) The north side faces the village.
3. What does the arrangement of the office allow Bartleby to do with the narrator?
(a) See him but not hear him.
(b) Hear him but not see him.
(c) Both see and hear him.
(d) Neither see him nor hear him.
4. Why does the narrator of "The Piazza" believe the soil is richer around the cottage that he finds?
(a) The garden is obviously well-fed there.
(b) There is a sense of blessedness there.
(c) The owners have planted there.
(d) There is more sunlight there.
5. Who finally persuaded the narrator of "I and My Chimney" to knock a few feet off the chimney?
(a) His mortgage holder
(b) His daughters.
(c) His wife.
(d) His neighbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
2. What was the message of the church meeting the narrator observed?
3. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
4. Who lives in the cottage that the narrator of "The Piazza" finds in the mountains?
5. What first attracts the narrator of "The Piazza" to a building far in the mountains?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)