|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
(b) Legal research.
(c) Errand boy.
2. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
(a) A democracy.
(b) A riotocracy.
(c) A monarchy.
(d) A theocracy.
3. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
(a) Master of Chancery.
(b) County Coroner.
(d) Justice of the Peace.
4. What did buccaneers leave on the islands that Melville claims is proof of their better traits?
(a) Buried treasure.
(b) Planted gardens.
(c) Planted orchards.
(d) Carved stone furniture.
5. What are the two failings the narrator sees in his middle-aged scrivener?
(a) Ambition and indigestion.
(b) Dishonesty and ambition.
(c) Indigestion and messiness.
(d) A bad temper and gambling.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator accommodate the weakness of his oldest scrivener?
2. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
3. What does Steelkilt threaten to do if he is flogged by the captain?
4. What do Steelkilt and his men demand in return for obeying orders?
5. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)