|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Steelkilt and his men demand in return for obeying orders?
(a) They will not have to sweep the decks.
(b) They will not be punished.
(c) They will be given better wages.
(d) Radney will be punished.
2. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
(a) His debt was unfairly imposed.
(b) He is a hospitable, generous man.
(c) His creditor is a grumpy person.
(d) His interest payments are exorbitant.
3. What previous employment had shaped Bartleby?
(a) Working in a morgue.
(b) Working on a locomotive.
(c) Working in a dead letter office.
(d) Working as a court reporter.
4. What prevents Steelkilt from taking revenge on Radney?
(a) Moby Dick kills Radney.
(b) The captain orders Radney executed.
(c) Steelkilt has a change of heart.
(d) Radney apologizes.
5. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
(a) Doubts the other person.
(b) Digs in his heels.
(c) Acquiesces out of courtesy.
(d) Questions his own mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what sight in the city does Melville compare the islands of the Encantadas?
2. What action does Steelkilt determine to take after being locked in the hold?
3. Who are Pedro and Sebastian in The Town-Ho's Story?
4. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
5. What age is the narrator of Bartleby?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)