|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Merrymusk convince the narrator that he is a rich man?
(a) He has a barn full of hay.
(b) He has a large family.
(c) He has a large tract of land.
(d) He has a rooster worth five hundred dollars.
2. What does the crew decide to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
(a) Start a mutiny.
(b) Desert together.
(c) Obey the captain.
(d) Murder Radney.
3. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
(a) A theocracy.
(b) A democracy.
(c) A riotocracy.
(d) A monarchy.
4. Why does Radney dislike Steelkilt?
(a) Steelkilt is rude.
(b) Steelkilt is insubordinate.
(c) Steelkilt is handsome.
(d) Steelkilt is unfriendly.
5. What does a scrivener do?
(a) Makes copies of legal documents.
(b) Organizes court records.
(c) Researches legal precedents.
(d) Records testimony in court.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Steelkilt's three remaining conspirators decide to do to save themselves?
2. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
3. How does Steelkilt respond to Radney's request that he sweep the deck?
4. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
5. What previous employment had shaped Bartleby?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)