|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What object does the lookout spot that takes Melville's ship to Norfolk Isle?
(a) An American flag.
(b) A burning fire.
(c) A handkerchief.
(d) A white bird.
2. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
(d) Tax accountant.
3. What famous person expressed a good opinion of the narrator of Bartleby?
(a) Theodore Roosevelt.
(b) John D. Rockefeller.
(c) John Jacob Astor.
(d) Andrew Carnegie.
4. What does the crew decide to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
(a) Start a mutiny.
(b) Desert together.
(c) Murder Radney.
(d) Obey the captain.
5. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
(a) It would spark a mutiny.
(b) It would justify Radney's dishonorable actions.
(c) It would be unfair.
(d) It would lead to a admiralty investigation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What quality of Bartleby's induces the narrator to hire him?
2. What emotion does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" say he has never felt since the rooster died?
3. What did the American ship, the Essex, see in the Encantadas?
4. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view the world?
5. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)