|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of the United States does the narrator of the Town-Ho's story claim is much like the sea?
(a) Lake Tahoe.
(b) The Great Lakes region.
(c) The Mississippi.
(d) The Erie Canal.
2. How does Bartleby respond to the other employees?
(a) He ignores them.
(b) He emulates them.
(c) He thanks them.
(d) He resents them.
3. What happens to the rooster when the Merrymusk family dies?
(a) The rooster goes home with the narrator.
(b) The rooster crows on the graves.
(c) The rooster is sold for five hundred dollars.
(d) The rooster dies too.
4. What does the narrator's middle-aged employee offer to do for Bartleby?
(a) Fire him.
(b) Teach him manners.
(c) Teach him better work habits.
(d) Black his eyes.
5. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) Beauty and peace.
(b) Fascination and charm.
(c) Solitude and desolation.
(d) Silence and serenity.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
2. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
3. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
4. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
5. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)