|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
(a) Digs in his heels.
(b) Acquiesces out of courtesy.
(c) Questions his own mind.
(d) Doubts the other person.
2. Who are Pedro and Sebastian in The Town-Ho's Story?
(b) Friends of the narrator.
(c) Sailors on the Pequod.
(d) Sailors on the Town-Ho.
3. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
(a) Billy Budd.
(b) The Confidence Man.
(c) Moby Dick.
4. What previous employment had shaped Bartleby?
(a) Working as a court reporter.
(b) Working in a morgue.
(c) Working in a dead letter office.
(d) Working on a locomotive.
5. What surprises the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" about the owner of the rooster?
(a) He has many such roosters.
(b) He has a large family.
(c) He is poor.
(d) He is old.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Radney dislike Steelkilt?
2. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
3. What age is the narrator of Bartleby?
4. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
5. What does the crew decide to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)