|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Steelkilt respond to Radney's request that he sweep the deck?
(a) He complains loudly.
(b) He meekly obeys.
(c) He loudly refuses.
(d) He quietly refuses.
2. What do the Peruvian listeners force the storyteller to do to prove his story is true?
(a) Cross his heart.
(b) Swear on the Bible.
(c) Produce another witness.
(d) Show some evidence.
3. With what weapon does Radney threaten Steelkilt?
(a) A hammer.
(b) A rope.
(c) A knife.
(d) A gun.
4. What makes Moby Dick an unusual whale?
(a) He is unusually small, white, and intelligent.
(b) He has supernatural powers.
(c) He is unusually large, white, and vengeful.
(d) He is intelligent and communicates with people.
5. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
(a) The rooster reminds him of his neighbor.
(b) The rooster reminds him of a song.
(c) The rooster reminds him of a character in a play.
(d) The rooster reminds him of a character in a book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
2. What did buccaneers leave on the islands that Melville claims is proof of their better traits?
3. Why does the captain decide not to flog Steelkilt?
4. What previous employment had shaped Bartleby?
5. Where do both the captain and Steelkilt go after they separate?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)