|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
(a) A Chilean adventurer.
(b) A Bolivian pirate.
(c) A Peruvian king.
(d) A Creole soldier.
2. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) Silence and serenity.
(b) Fascination and charm.
(c) Beauty and peace.
(d) Solitude and desolation.
3. What previous employment had shaped Bartleby?
(a) Working in a morgue.
(b) Working in a dead letter office.
(c) Working as a court reporter.
(d) Working on a locomotive.
4. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
(a) The rooster reminds him of his neighbor.
(b) The rooster reminds him of a character in a play.
(c) The rooster reminds him of a song.
(d) The rooster reminds him of a character in a book.
5. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
(a) Go for coffee.
(b) Copy a comparison of an original.
(c) Originate a copy.
(d) Compare a copy with its original.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bartleby's demeanor show about his eccentricities?
2. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
3. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
4. Who are Pedro and Sebastian in The Town-Ho's Story?
5. Why does Radney dislike Steelkilt?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)