|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
(a) Sea life is "reckless and barbaric."
(b) Sea life is "daring and brave."
(c) Sea life is "calm and pure."
(d) Sea life is "quietly Christian."
2. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
(a) Justice of the Peace.
(b) Master of Chancery.
(c) County Coroner.
3. What prevents Steelkilt from taking revenge on Radney?
(a) Moby Dick kills Radney.
(b) Radney apologizes.
(c) Steelkilt has a change of heart.
(d) The captain orders Radney executed.
4. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
(a) Compare a copy with its original.
(b) Originate a copy.
(c) Go for coffee.
(d) Copy a comparison of an original.
5. How does Steelkilt respond to Radney's request that he sweep the deck?
(a) He quietly refuses.
(b) He meekly obeys.
(c) He complains loudly.
(d) He loudly refuses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal from the islands supplies sailors with food and utensils?
2. What surprises the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" about the owner of the rooster?
3. Whose job is it to normally sweep the deck of a ship?
4. How does Melville describe pelicans?
5. What do Steelkilt and his men demand in return for obeying orders?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)