|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of the United States does the narrator of the Town-Ho's story claim is much like the sea?
(a) Lake Tahoe.
(b) The Erie Canal.
(c) The Great Lakes region.
(d) The Mississippi.
2. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
(a) The rooster reminds him of his neighbor.
(b) The rooster reminds him of a character in a play.
(c) The rooster reminds him of a song.
(d) The rooster reminds him of a character in a book.
3. Why does Radney dislike Steelkilt?
(a) Steelkilt is rude.
(b) Steelkilt is insubordinate.
(c) Steelkilt is unfriendly.
(d) Steelkilt is handsome.
4. How does the narrator accommodate the weakness of his oldest scrivener?
(a) By giving him unimportant papers in the afternoon.
(b) By giving him unimportant papers in the morning.
(c) By allowing him to work only half a day.
(d) By hiring an assistant for him.
5. What emotion does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" say he has never felt since the rooster died?
(a) The doleful dumps.
(b) The warm contentment.
(c) The silly slaphappiness.
(d) The cheerful joys.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
2. What good qualities does Bartleby have as an employee?
3. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
4. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view locomotives and steamships?
5. What animal from the islands supplies sailors with food and utensils?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)