|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Steelkilt's three remaining conspirators decide to do to save themselves?
(a) Sneak back to their posts.
(b) Bind Steelkilt and give him to the captain.
(c) Kill Steelkilt.
(d) Support Steelkilt's mutiny.
2. What does Melville say is the most populous species on the island of Albermarle?
3. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
(a) Chompers, Grumpy, and Short Stuff.
(b) Turkey, Nippers, and Ginger Nut.
(c) Grandpa, Grumpy, and The Kid.
(d) Chicken, Rooster, and Cluck.
4. What emotion does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" say he has never felt since the rooster died?
(a) The cheerful joys.
(b) The warm contentment.
(c) The silly slaphappiness.
(d) The doleful dumps.
5. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
(b) The Confidence Man.
(c) Moby Dick.
(d) Billy Budd.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a scrivener do?
2. What does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe the rooster's crow is saying?
3. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
4. How does Bartleby respond to the other employees?
5. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view locomotives and steamships?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)