|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
(a) The bat.
(b) The walrus.
(c) The cormorant.
(d) The penguin.
2. Why does the captain decide not to flog Steelkilt?
(a) He suddenly feels sorry for Steelkilt.
(b) He suddenly feels ashamed of his own behavior.
(c) He suddenly feels the menace of the rest of the crew.
(d) Steelkilt makes an inaudible threat.
3. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
(a) A Creole soldier.
(b) A Bolivian pirate.
(c) A Chilean adventurer.
(d) A Peruvian king.
4. How does Melville describe pelicans?
(a) Woebegone and penitential.
(b) Elegant and streamlined.
(c) Modest and humble.
(d) Clever and complicated.
5. Why doesn't the narrator dismiss Bartleby for insubordination?
(a) Bartleby is obviously emotionally upset.
(b) Bartleby promises to improve.
(c) Bartleby is calm, showing no emotion.
(d) Bartleby is distressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Town-Ho's captain have to put the ship into port?
2. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
3. What emotion does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" say he has never felt since the rooster died?
4. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
5. What makes Moby Dick an unusual whale?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)