|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the American ship, the Essex, see in the Encantadas?
(a) A ghost ship.
(b) A pirate ship.
(c) An enchanted ship.
(d) An English ship.
2. What action does Steelkilt determine to take after being locked in the hold?
(a) He will apologize.
(b) He will kill Radney.
(c) He will seize the ship.
(d) He will kill the captain.
3. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
(a) Bartleby's friendship.
(b) The approval of his employees.
(c) The approval of his peers.
4. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
(a) His interest payments are exorbitant.
(b) His debt was unfairly imposed.
(c) His creditor is a grumpy person.
(d) He is a hospitable, generous man.
5. How does Merrymusk convince the narrator that he is a rich man?
(a) He has a rooster worth five hundred dollars.
(b) He has a barn full of hay.
(c) He has a large family.
(d) He has a large tract of land.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
2. With what alliteration does Melville describe the islands?
3. What does Bartleby's demeanor show about his eccentricities?
4. What do Steelkilt and his men demand in return for obeying orders?
5. What surprises the narrator when he goes to his office on a Sunday?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)