|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
(a) They are strong and virtuous.
(b) They are mild and calm.
(c) They are picturesquely wicked.
(d) They are sneaky and subtle.
2. How does Merrymusk convince the narrator that he is a rich man?
(a) He has a barn full of hay.
(b) He has a large family.
(c) He has a large tract of land.
(d) He has a rooster worth five hundred dollars.
3. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
(a) Acquiesces out of courtesy.
(b) Doubts the other person.
(c) Questions his own mind.
(d) Digs in his heels.
4. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
(a) Originate a copy.
(b) Compare a copy with its original.
(c) Copy a comparison of an original.
(d) Go for coffee.
5. Why doesn't the narrator dismiss Bartleby for insubordination?
(a) Bartleby is distressed.
(b) Bartleby is obviously emotionally upset.
(c) Bartleby is calm, showing no emotion.
(d) Bartleby promises to improve.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a scrivener do?
2. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
3. What are the two failings the narrator sees in his middle-aged scrivener?
4. What surprises the narrator when he goes to his office on a Sunday?
5. Where does the narrator in The Town-Ho's story tell his tale?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)