|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do both the captain and Steelkilt go after they separate?
2. What does Melville say is the most populous species on the island of Albermarle?
3. What does the crew decide not to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
(a) Obey the captain.
(b) Start a mutiny.
(c) Call out when whales were sighted.
(d) Desert together.
4. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view the world?
(a) Full of casualties, despotism, and knocks on the head.
(b) Full of puzzles, traps, and confusion.
(c) Full of dangers, snares, and delusions.
(d) Full of sunshine, flowers, and rainbows.
5. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
(b) Tax accountant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
2. How does Bartleby respond to the other employees?
3. What emotion does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" say he has never felt since the rooster died?
4. What age is the narrator of Bartleby?
5. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
This section contains 211 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)