|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
(a) Compare a copy with its original.
(b) Go for coffee.
(c) Copy a comparison of an original.
(d) Originate a copy.
2. What emotion does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" say he has never felt since the rooster died?
(a) The doleful dumps.
(b) The silly slaphappiness.
(c) The cheerful joys.
(d) The warm contentment.
3. How does Merrymusk convince the narrator that he is a rich man?
(a) He has a large tract of land.
(b) He has a rooster worth five hundred dollars.
(c) He has a large family.
(d) He has a barn full of hay.
4. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
(a) Master of Chancery.
(b) County Coroner.
(d) Justice of the Peace.
5. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view locomotives and steamships?
(a) As uniters of families.
(b) As instruments of destruction.
(c) As symbols of human ingenuity.
(d) As harbingers of a bright future.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the rooster when the Merrymusk family dies?
2. What does Bartleby's demeanor show about his eccentricities?
3. What animal from the islands supplies sailors with food and utensils?
4. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
5. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)