|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" about the owner of the rooster?
(a) He is old.
(b) He is poor.
(c) He has a large family.
(d) He has many such roosters.
2. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
(a) They think Bartleby should be fired.
(b) They think Bartleby should be promoted.
(c) They think Bartleby should be excused.
(d) They think Bartleby should be forgiven.
3. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
(a) They are mild and calm.
(b) They are picturesquely wicked.
(c) They are strong and virtuous.
(d) They are sneaky and subtle.
4. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
(a) Errand boy.
(c) Legal research.
5. What part of the United States does the narrator of the Town-Ho's story claim is much like the sea?
(a) The Great Lakes region.
(b) The Mississippi.
(c) Lake Tahoe.
(d) The Erie Canal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two failings the narrator sees in his middle-aged scrivener?
2. How does Bartleby respond to the other employees?
3. What does the crew decide not to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
4. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
5. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)