|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What good qualities does Bartleby have as an employee?
(a) He is enthusiastic and energetic.
(b) He is amiable and friendly.
(c) He is hard-working and honest.
(d) He is eager to help.
2. Where do both the captain and Steelkilt go after they separate?
3. What object does the lookout spot that takes Melville's ship to Norfolk Isle?
(a) A burning fire.
(b) An American flag.
(c) A white bird.
(d) A handkerchief.
4. What age is the narrator of Bartleby?
(a) In his sixties.
(b) In his forties.
(c) In his thirties.
(d) In his fifties.
5. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
(a) A Creole soldier.
(b) A Chilean adventurer.
(c) A Bolivian pirate.
(d) A Peruvian king.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Steelkilt's three remaining conspirators decide to do to save themselves?
2. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view locomotives and steamships?
3. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
4. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
5. Whose job is it to normally sweep the deck of a ship?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)