|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
(a) They think Bartleby should be fired.
(b) They think Bartleby should be excused.
(c) They think Bartleby should be promoted.
(d) They think Bartleby should be forgiven.
2. What does Steelkilt threaten to do if he is flogged by the captain?
(a) Tell the admiralty board of review.
(b) Jump overboard.
(c) Seek an unnamed revenge.
(d) Murder the captain.
3. What object does the lookout spot that takes Melville's ship to Norfolk Isle?
(a) A white bird.
(b) An American flag.
(c) A handkerchief.
(d) A burning fire.
4. How does Steelkilt respond to Radney's request that he sweep the deck?
(a) He meekly obeys.
(b) He complains loudly.
(c) He quietly refuses.
(d) He loudly refuses.
5. What does the narrator say a man does when confronted with an unreasonable situation?
(a) Doubts the other person.
(b) Digs in his heels.
(c) Acquiesces out of courtesy.
(d) Questions his own mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
2. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view the world?
3. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
4. What animal from the islands supplies sailors with food and utensils?
5. Why is the narrator not pleased with Bartleby's industriousness?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)