|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
(a) The rooster reminds him of a character in a play.
(b) The rooster reminds him of a character in a book.
(c) The rooster reminds him of his neighbor.
(d) The rooster reminds him of a song.
2. With what alliteration does Melville describe the islands?
(a) Extensive elegant exotica.
(b) Fruitful festival of fecundity.
(c) An archipelago of aridities.
(d) Dark, doleful doomsday.
3. How does Melville describe pelicans?
(a) Modest and humble.
(b) Woebegone and penitential.
(c) Clever and complicated.
(d) Elegant and streamlined.
4. What does the arrangement of the office allow Bartleby to do with the narrator?
(a) See him but not hear him.
(b) Both see and hear him.
(c) Neither see him nor hear him.
(d) Hear him but not see him.
5. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view the world?
(a) Full of sunshine, flowers, and rainbows.
(b) Full of casualties, despotism, and knocks on the head.
(c) Full of dangers, snares, and delusions.
(d) Full of puzzles, traps, and confusion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two failings the narrator sees in his middle-aged scrivener?
2. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
3. How does Merrymusk convince the narrator that he is a rich man?
4. What object does the lookout spot that takes Melville's ship to Norfolk Isle?
5. What do Steelkilt's three remaining conspirators decide to do to save themselves?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)