|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What good qualities does Bartleby have as an employee?
(a) He is amiable and friendly.
(b) He is enthusiastic and energetic.
(c) He is hard-working and honest.
(d) He is eager to help.
2. What did buccaneers leave on the islands that Melville claims is proof of their better traits?
(a) Planted orchards.
(b) Planted gardens.
(c) Buried treasure.
(d) Carved stone furniture.
3. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
(a) His creditor is a grumpy person.
(b) His interest payments are exorbitant.
(c) He is a hospitable, generous man.
(d) His debt was unfairly imposed.
4. What happens to the rooster when the Merrymusk family dies?
(a) The rooster is sold for five hundred dollars.
(b) The rooster goes home with the narrator.
(c) The rooster dies too.
(d) The rooster crows on the graves.
5. What does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe the rooster's crow is saying?
(b) Glory be to God in the highest!
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the crew decide not to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
2. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
3. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
4. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
5. What does the narrator's middle-aged employee offer to do for Bartleby?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)