|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 8 - 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What object does the lookout spot that takes Melville's ship to Norfolk Isle?
(a) A handkerchief.
(b) A burning fire.
(c) An American flag.
(d) A white bird.
2. What does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe the rooster's crow is saying?
(b) Glory be to God in the highest!
3. What habit of the bachelors in the Temple does the narrator wish to introduce in his own country?
(b) Mulled wine.
4. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view the world?
(a) Full of puzzles, traps, and confusion.
(b) Full of sunshine, flowers, and rainbows.
(c) Full of dangers, snares, and delusions.
(d) Full of casualties, despotism, and knocks on the head.
5. Why was Bannadonna excused for the homicide he committed?
(a) It was justifiable.
(b) It was done in self-defense.
(c) It was accidental.
(d) It was caused by esthetic passion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What good qualities does Bartleby have as an employee?
2. What caused the bell-ringing automaton to kill Bannadonna?
3. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
4. Why is it hard to see the mill when coming upon it?
5. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)