|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 8 - 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Steelkilt threaten to do if he is flogged by the captain?
(a) Jump overboard.
(b) Murder the captain.
(c) Seek an unnamed revenge.
(d) Tell the admiralty board of review.
2. What was the message of the church meeting the narrator observed?
(a) "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's."
(b) "Hide not your light under a bushel."
(c) "Repent and be saved."
(d) "Ye are the salt of the earth."
3. How does Steelkilt respond to Radney's request that he sweep the deck?
(a) He complains loudly.
(b) He quietly refuses.
(c) He meekly obeys.
(d) He loudly refuses.
4. How long has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" worked on his invention?
(a) Three months.
(b) All month.
(c) All year.
(d) Ten years.
5. Of what does the onstage action in the London theater remind the narrator?
(a) The church service he had watched from the bell tower.
(b) His own childhood.
(c) The curmudgeonly landlady at his boarding house.
(d) The theater at home on Broadway.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator's condition when he goes to the theater in London?
2. What is the attitude of the bachelors in the Temple toward pain and trouble?
3. Why was Bannadonna excused for the homicide he committed?
4. How much does the uncle in "The Happy Failure" think his invention is worth?
5. What does the arrangement of the office allow Bartleby to do with the narrator?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)