|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 8 - 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
(a) Grandpa, Grumpy, and The Kid.
(b) Turkey, Nippers, and Ginger Nut.
(c) Chicken, Rooster, and Cluck.
(d) Chompers, Grumpy, and Short Stuff.
2. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" do with his manuscripts?
(a) Reads them to strangers.
(b) Sends them to publishers.
(c) Tears them up.
(d) Pays to have them printed.
3. Whose job is it to normally sweep the deck of a ship?
(a) The men on watch.
(b) The lowest seaman.
(c) The boys on board.
(d) All members of the work gangs.
4. What does Bartleby's demeanor show about his eccentricities?
(a) They are unimportant.
(b) They are involuntary.
(c) They are important.
(d) They are voluntary.
5. How does the narrator get into the London theater presentation?
(a) A stranger gives him a ticket.
(b) He sneaks in a side door.
(c) He finds a ticket on the sidewalk.
(d) He pawns his overcoat to buy a ticket.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two failings the narrator sees in his middle-aged scrivener?
2. What god does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" think the salesman resembles?
3. How does Bartleby respond to the other employees?
4. Why doesn't the narrator dismiss Bartleby for insubordination?
5. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)