|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 8 - 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
(a) His banker.
(b) His wife.
(c) His creditor.
(d) His neighbor.
2. How much does the uncle in "The Happy Failure" think his invention is worth?
(a) More than gold.
(b) More than a life's work.
(c) More than his house.
(d) More than silver.
3. What has the uncle in "The Happy Failure" invented?
(a) A device for purifying water.
(b) A device for building dams.
(c) A device for diverting rivers.
(d) A device for draining swamps.
4. What is the narrator's condition when he goes to the theater in London?
(a) He is bored and overfed.
(b) He is broke and alone.
(c) He is well-fed and relaxed.
(d) He is comfortable and among friends.
5. What do the crew members do as soon as the Town-Ho reaches port?
(a) They give up life on the sea.
(b) They murder the captain.
(c) They desert the ship.
(d) They call for help.
Short Answer Questions
1. What office does the narrator of Bartleby hold that no longer exists?
2. To what sight in the city does Melville compare the islands of the Encantadas?
3. What do the maids work to produce?
4. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
5. How does the narrator get into the London theater presentation?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)