|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 8 - 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
(a) Originate a copy.
(b) Compare a copy with its original.
(c) Copy a comparison of an original.
(d) Go for coffee.
2. Why does Coulter come home for lunch?
(a) To rest a little while.
(b) To please his wife.
(c) To get exercise from the walk.
(d) To enjoy a hot meal.
3. What is the narrator's condition when he goes to the theater in London?
(a) He is bored and overfed.
(b) He is broke and alone.
(c) He is comfortable and among friends.
(d) He is well-fed and relaxed.
4. How does the narrator describe the men who work the Erie Canal?
(a) They are sneaky and subtle.
(b) They are picturesquely wicked.
(c) They are strong and virtuous.
(d) They are mild and calm.
5. How do the bachelors in the Temple keep time?
(a) By the courses of the meal.
(b) By the jokes they told.
(c) By their reminiscences.
(d) By the wine they drank.
Short Answer Questions
1. What previous employment had shaped Bartleby?
2. How does Steelkilt respond to Radney's request that he sweep the deck?
3. What had Hautboy lost in order to succeed?
4. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
5. Why is the narrator of "The Two Temples" not allowed to enter the church?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)