|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 8 - 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
2. How does the narrator accommodate the weakness of his oldest scrivener?
(a) By allowing him to work only half a day.
(b) By giving him unimportant papers in the morning.
(c) By hiring an assistant for him.
(d) By giving him unimportant papers in the afternoon.
3. What does Blandmour believe God does for the poor?
(a) God charges the rich to care for the poor.
(b) God gives the poor very little help.
(c) God gives the poor the challenges they need.
(d) God gives the poor everything they need for free.
4. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
(a) They think Bartleby should be promoted.
(b) They think Bartleby should be fired.
(c) They think Bartleby should be forgiven.
(d) They think Bartleby should be excused.
5. How much does the uncle in "The Happy Failure" think his invention is worth?
(a) More than a life's work.
(b) More than gold.
(c) More than silver.
(d) More than his house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What habit of the bachelors in the Temple does the narrator wish to introduce in his own country?
2. Why does the captain fear to shoot Steelkilt for his insubordination?
3. What does the narrator in "The Paradise of Bachelors" say has become of the Knights Templar?
4. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
5. What do Steelkilt's three remaining conspirators decide to do to save themselves?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)