|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 8 - 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do both the captain and Steelkilt go after they separate?
2. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
(a) Chicken, Rooster, and Cluck.
(b) Grandpa, Grumpy, and The Kid.
(c) Chompers, Grumpy, and Short Stuff.
(d) Turkey, Nippers, and Ginger Nut.
3. Why was Bannadonna excused for the homicide he committed?
(a) It was justifiable.
(b) It was done in self-defense.
(c) It was caused by esthetic passion.
(d) It was accidental.
4. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
(a) His debt was unfairly imposed.
(b) His interest payments are exorbitant.
(c) He is a hospitable, generous man.
(d) His creditor is a grumpy person.
5. Why does the Town-Ho's captain have to put the ship into port?
(a) It has sprung a leak.
(b) Its crewmen are ill with scurvy.
(c) There has been a mutiny on board.
(d) It has run out of supplies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
2. What is the attitude of the bachelors in the Temple toward pain and trouble?
3. What are the two failings the narrator sees in his middle-aged scrivener?
4. What good qualities does Bartleby have as an employee?
5. With what alliteration does Melville describe the islands?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)