|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 8 - 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
(a) The rooster reminds him of a character in a play.
(b) The rooster reminds him of his neighbor.
(c) The rooster reminds him of a character in a book.
(d) The rooster reminds him of a song.
2. How does the narrator accommodate the weakness of his oldest scrivener?
(a) By hiring an assistant for him.
(b) By giving him unimportant papers in the afternoon.
(c) By giving him unimportant papers in the morning.
(d) By allowing him to work only half a day.
3. What does the narrator's middle-aged employee offer to do for Bartleby?
(a) Teach him better work habits.
(b) Teach him manners.
(c) Black his eyes.
(d) Fire him.
4. How does Melville describe pelicans?
(a) Modest and humble.
(b) Woebegone and penitential.
(c) Clever and complicated.
(d) Elegant and streamlined.
5. How do the bachelors in the Temple keep time?
(a) By the jokes they told.
(b) By the courses of the meal.
(c) By their reminiscences.
(d) By the wine they drank.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal from the islands supplies sailors with food and utensils?
2. What does the crew decide to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
3. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
4. What had Hautboy lost in order to succeed?
5. What is the attitude of the bachelors in the Temple toward pain and trouble?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)