|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 8 - 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what sight in the city does Melville compare the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) A pile of trash.
(b) A pile of cinders.
(c) A pile of rocks.
(d) A pile of leaves.
2. What did buccaneers leave on the islands that Melville claims is proof of their better traits?
(a) Buried treasure.
(b) Planted gardens.
(c) Carved stone furniture.
(d) Planted orchards.
3. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view locomotives and steamships?
(a) As harbingers of a bright future.
(b) As uniters of families.
(c) As instruments of destruction.
(d) As symbols of human ingenuity.
4. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
(a) A Peruvian king.
(b) A Creole soldier.
(c) A Chilean adventurer.
(d) A Bolivian pirate.
5. What habit of the bachelors in the Temple does the narrator wish to introduce in his own country?
(c) Mulled wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Poor Man's Pudding?
2. What good qualities does Bartleby have as an employee?
3. What does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe the rooster's crow is saying?
4. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view the world?
5. How do the bachelors in the Temple keep time?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)