|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 8 - 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What previous employment had shaped Bartleby?
(a) Working in a dead letter office.
(b) Working in a morgue.
(c) Working on a locomotive.
(d) Working as a court reporter.
2. What habit of the bachelors in the Temple does the narrator wish to introduce in his own country?
(b) Mulled wine.
3. Where do both the captain and Steelkilt go after they separate?
4. What prevents Steelkilt from taking revenge on Radney?
(a) Moby Dick kills Radney.
(b) Radney apologizes.
(c) The captain orders Radney executed.
(d) Steelkilt has a change of heart.
5. In which of Melville's novels is "The Town-Ho's Story" included?
(a) Moby Dick.
(b) The Confidence Man.
(c) Billy Budd.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what alliteration does Melville describe the islands?
2. What surprises the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" about the owner of the rooster?
3. What human assumption does Melville say is the most preposterous?
4. Of what does the onstage action in the London theater remind the narrator?
5. What is the main task of the narrator's youngest employee in Bartleby?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)