|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 8 - 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
(a) His interest payments are exorbitant.
(b) His debt was unfairly imposed.
(c) His creditor is a grumpy person.
(d) He is a hospitable, generous man.
2. What nicknames does the narrator of Bartleby give his employees?
(a) Turkey, Nippers, and Ginger Nut.
(b) Chompers, Grumpy, and Short Stuff.
(c) Chicken, Rooster, and Cluck.
(d) Grandpa, Grumpy, and The Kid.
3. What are the two failings the narrator sees in his middle-aged scrivener?
(a) Dishonesty and ambition.
(b) Indigestion and messiness.
(c) Ambition and indigestion.
(d) A bad temper and gambling.
4. Why does Radney dislike Steelkilt?
(a) Steelkilt is insubordinate.
(b) Steelkilt is rude.
(c) Steelkilt is handsome.
(d) Steelkilt is unfriendly.
5. How does the lightning rod salesman feel about thunderstorms?
(a) He is terrified.
(b) He is assured of his own safety.
(c) He is relaxed and unafraid.
(d) He is confident.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Hautboy lost in order to succeed?
2. Why is the narrator of "The Two Temples" not allowed to enter the church?
3. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
4. What did buccaneers leave on the islands that Melville claims is proof of their better traits?
5. How does the narrator describe life on the sea as compared to farming or working the Erie Canal?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)