|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 8 - 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view locomotives and steamships?
(a) As instruments of destruction.
(b) As uniters of families.
(c) As harbingers of a bright future.
(d) As symbols of human ingenuity.
2. What do Steelkilt's three remaining conspirators decide to do to save themselves?
(a) Bind Steelkilt and give him to the captain.
(b) Kill Steelkilt.
(c) Support Steelkilt's mutiny.
(d) Sneak back to their posts.
3. What habit of the bachelors in the Temple does the narrator wish to introduce in his own country?
(a) Mulled wine.
4. What quality of Bartleby's induces the narrator to hire him?
(a) Bartleby is energetic.
(b) Bartleby is efficient.
(c) Bartleby is friendly.
(d) Bartleby is sedate.
5. Why does the lightning rod salesman claim that his rods are superior?
(a) They're made of magnesium.
(b) They're made of copper.
(c) They're made of iron.
(d) They're made of steel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
2. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
3. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
4. With what alliteration does Melville describe the islands?
5. What happens to the rooster when the Merrymusk family dies?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)