|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 8 - 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
(a) A Creole soldier.
(b) A Chilean adventurer.
(c) A Bolivian pirate.
(d) A Peruvian king.
2. Why is the narrator of "The Two Temples" not allowed to enter the church?
(a) He looks like a heathen.
(b) He looks poor and doesn't have a bribe.
(c) He doesn't appear to be a Christian.
(d) He is causing a disturbance.
3. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
(a) The penguin.
(b) The bat.
(c) The walrus.
(d) The cormorant.
4. What is Poor Man's Pudding?
(a) Milk, eggs, and sugar.
(b) Flour, sugar, cinnamon, and milk.
(c) Rice, milk, and salt.
(d) Water, salt, and flour.
5. What are the two failings the narrator sees in his middle-aged scrivener?
(a) Ambition and indigestion.
(b) Indigestion and messiness.
(c) Dishonesty and ambition.
(d) A bad temper and gambling.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the crew decide to do after Steelkilt is flogged?
2. Why does the lightning rod salesman claim that his rods are superior?
3. What is the narrator's condition when he goes to the theater in London?
4. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" aspire to become?
5. Where does the narrator in The Town-Ho's story tell his tale?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)