|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 8 - 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the failure of his invention do for the uncle in "The Happy Failure?"
(a) Made him a good man.
(b) Made him more determined.
(c) Made him disappointed.
(d) Made him furious.
2. What is the narrator's condition when he goes to the theater in London?
(a) He is well-fed and relaxed.
(b) He is comfortable and among friends.
(c) He is bored and overfed.
(d) He is broke and alone.
3. Why does the lightning rod salesman claim that his rods are superior?
(a) They're made of iron.
(b) They're made of magnesium.
(c) They're made of copper.
(d) They're made of steel.
4. Of what does the onstage action in the London theater remind the narrator?
(a) The curmudgeonly landlady at his boarding house.
(b) The church service he had watched from the bell tower.
(c) The theater at home on Broadway.
(d) His own childhood.
5. How is the narrator punished for sneaking into the church?
(a) He is jailed overnight and fined.
(b) He is imprisoned.
(c) He is warned and set free.
(d) He is publicly embarrassed, but pardoned.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Merrymusk convince the narrator that he is a rich man?
2. What does Melville believe the charities of London do for the poor?
3. Why doesn't the narrator dismiss Bartleby for insubordination?
4. Why does Coulter come home for lunch?
5. What does the narrator's middle-aged employee offer to do for Bartleby?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)