|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 8 - 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" feel about the storm before the salesman arrives?
(a) He thinks the storm "thought-provoking."
(b) He thinks the storm is "terrifying."
(c) He thinks the storm is "radiant" and "beautiful."
(d) He thinks the storm is "grand" and "glorious."
2. What is unusual about the pork at the Coulters' dinner table?
(a) It is only fat and gristle.
(b) It is not really pork.
(c) It is last year's.
(d) It is only hides.
3. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
(a) His debt was unfairly imposed.
(b) He is a hospitable, generous man.
(c) His interest payments are exorbitant.
(d) His creditor is a grumpy person.
4. Where do both the captain and Steelkilt go after they separate?
5. What is the profession of the narrator of Bartleby?
(b) Tax accountant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did buccaneers leave on the islands that Melville claims is proof of their better traits?
2. What famous person expressed a good opinion of the narrator of Bartleby?
3. What is the attitude of the bachelors in the Temple toward pain and trouble?
4. Whose job is it to normally sweep the deck of a ship?
5. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view the world?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)