|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 8 - 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unusual about the pork at the Coulters' dinner table?
(a) It is only fat and gristle.
(b) It is last year's.
(c) It is not really pork.
(d) It is only hides.
2. How does Bartleby respond to the other employees?
(a) He thanks them.
(b) He ignores them.
(c) He resents them.
(d) He emulates them.
3. To what sight in the city does Melville compare the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) A pile of rocks.
(b) A pile of trash.
(c) A pile of cinders.
(d) A pile of leaves.
4. What has Hautboy accomplished in "The Fiddler?"
(a) Hautboy has become rich.
(b) Hautboy has become famous.
(c) Hautboy has learned to be happy.
(d) Hautboy has developed great technical proficiency.
5. What do the other employees think of Bartleby's refusals?
(a) They think Bartleby should be fired.
(b) They think Bartleby should be promoted.
(c) They think Bartleby should be forgiven.
(d) They think Bartleby should be excused.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises the narrator when he goes to his office on a Sunday?
2. What is the first thing Bartleby says he would prefer not to do?
3. What do Steelkilt and his men demand in return for obeying orders?
4. What food does Bartleby appear to eat exclusively?
5. What benefit does the narrator get from his indulgence of Bartleby's eccentricities?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)