Two Week Quiz A
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 8 - 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the rooster when the Merrymusk family dies?
(a) The rooster dies too.
(b) The rooster crows on the graves.
(c) The rooster goes home with the narrator.
(d) The rooster is sold for five hundred dollars.
2. How is the narrator punished for sneaking into the church?
(a) He is warned and set free.
(b) He is imprisoned.
(c) He is jailed overnight and fined.
(d) He is publicly embarrassed, but pardoned.
3. What is the narrator's condition when he goes to the theater in London?
(a) He is bored and overfed.
(b) He is broke and alone.
(c) He is well-fed and relaxed.
(d) He is comfortable and among friends.
4. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
(a) His neighbor.
(b) His creditor.
(c) His wife.
(d) His banker.
5. Of what does the onstage action in the London theater remind the narrator?
(a) The curmudgeonly landlady at his boarding house.
(b) His own childhood.
(c) The church service he had watched from the bell tower.
(d) The theater at home on Broadway.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a scrivener do?
2. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
3. How does Melville describe pelicans?
4. What did the failure of his invention do for the uncle in "The Happy Failure?"
5. What surprises the narrator when he goes to his office on a Sunday?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)