|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13 - 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
(a) The rooster reminds him of a character in a play.
(b) The rooster reminds him of a song.
(c) The rooster reminds him of a character in a book.
(d) The rooster reminds him of his neighbor.
2. Why does the narrator of "Jimmy Rose" refuse to change the wallpaper in his parlor?
(a) It reminds him or a rose garden.
(b) It reminds him of his childhood.
(c) It reminds him of Jimmy Rose.
(d) It reminds him of better days.
3. What impresses the narrator about the mill?
(a) The cheerfulness of the workers.
(b) The efficiency of the operation.
(c) The gigantic press machine.
(d) The clean air and water.
4. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
(a) A democracy.
(b) A theocracy.
(c) A riotocracy.
(d) A monarchy.
5. To what sight in the city does Melville compare the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) A pile of cinders.
(b) A pile of trash.
(c) A pile of rocks.
(d) A pile of leaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Melville say is the most populous species on the island of Albermarle?
2. What does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe the rooster's crow is saying?
3. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view locomotives and steamships?
4. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" decide never to leave home?
5. Why was Bannadonna excused for the homicide he committed?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)