|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13 - 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator of "The Apple-Tree Table" feel as his wife and daughters become more frightened?
(a) He feels braver.
(b) He feels numb.
(c) He feels worse.
(d) He feels more frightened than they.
2. How does Melville describe pelicans?
(a) Elegant and streamlined.
(b) Clever and complicated.
(c) Modest and humble.
(d) Woebegone and penitential.
3. What surprises the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" about the owner of the rooster?
(a) He is poor.
(b) He is old.
(c) He has many such roosters.
(d) He has a large family.
4. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" aspire to become?
5. What emotion does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" say he has never felt since the rooster died?
(a) The cheerful joys.
(b) The warm contentment.
(c) The doleful dumps.
(d) The silly slaphappiness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator's wife think of his apprehension about the apple-tree table?
2. What did buccaneers leave on the islands that Melville claims is proof of their better traits?
3. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" decide never to leave home?
4. What impresses the narrator about the mill?
5. What has Hautboy accomplished in "The Fiddler?"
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)