|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13 - 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" decide never to leave home?
(a) He is standing guard over the chimney.
(b) He is busy rebuilding the house.
(c) He is "sour and unsocial."
(d) His wife won't permit it.
2. What impresses the narrator about the mill?
(a) The clean air and water.
(b) The gigantic press machine.
(c) The efficiency of the operation.
(d) The cheerfulness of the workers.
3. What sort of feet did the apple-tree table have?
(a) Hooves like Satan.
(b) Carved mahogany.
(c) Brass fittings.
(d) Marble balls.
4. To what sight in the city does Melville compare the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) A pile of leaves.
(b) A pile of rocks.
(c) A pile of trash.
(d) A pile of cinders.
5. What had Hautboy lost in order to succeed?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Merrymusk convince the narrator that he is a rich man?
2. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
3. What did buccaneers leave on the islands that Melville claims is proof of their better traits?
4. What does the narrator's wife think of his apprehension about the apple-tree table?
5. What caused the loss of Jimmy Rose's fortune?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)