|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13 - 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
(a) The rooster reminds him of his neighbor.
(b) The rooster reminds him of a character in a book.
(c) The rooster reminds him of a song.
(d) The rooster reminds him of a character in a play.
2. What animal from the islands supplies sailors with food and utensils?
(a) The seal.
(b) The tortoise.
(c) The iguana.
(d) The albatross.
3. How does Merrymusk convince the narrator that he is a rich man?
(a) He has a large tract of land.
(b) He has a barn full of hay.
(c) He has a large family.
(d) He has a rooster worth five hundred dollars.
4. What first alarms the narrator about the apple-tree table?
(a) A ticking sound.
(b) A sense of pervading evil.
(c) A mysterious odor.
(d) A steady drip.
5. Why does the narrator of "Jimmy Rose" refuse to change the wallpaper in his parlor?
(a) It reminds him of better days.
(b) It reminds him of Jimmy Rose.
(c) It reminds him of his childhood.
(d) It reminds him or a rose garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Melville describe pelicans?
2. Who wrote the book lying on the apple-tree table?
3. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
4. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
5. What god does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" think the salesman resembles?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)