|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13 - 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the attitude of the bachelors in the Temple toward pain and trouble?
(a) Pain and trouble are for other people.
(b) Pain and trouble are everywhere.
(c) Pain and trouble are nonexistent.
(d) Pain and trouble are unavoidable.
2. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
3. What has Hautboy accomplished in "The Fiddler?"
(a) Hautboy has developed great technical proficiency.
(b) Hautboy has become rich.
(c) Hautboy has become famous.
(d) Hautboy has learned to be happy.
4. To what sight in the city does Melville compare the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) A pile of cinders.
(b) A pile of rocks.
(c) A pile of leaves.
(d) A pile of trash.
5. What mythical character does the narrator say would have failed at his task if the chimney had then been in existence?
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
2. What impresses the narrator about the mill?
3. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" decide never to leave home?
4. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
5. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" do with his manuscripts?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)