|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13 - 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
(a) The walrus.
(b) The cormorant.
(c) The penguin.
(d) The bat.
2. What impresses the narrator about the mill?
(a) The efficiency of the operation.
(b) The gigantic press machine.
(c) The clean air and water.
(d) The cheerfulness of the workers.
3. Why does the narrator of "Jimmy Rose" refuse to change the wallpaper in his parlor?
(a) It reminds him of Jimmy Rose.
(b) It reminds him or a rose garden.
(c) It reminds him of his childhood.
(d) It reminds him of better days.
4. What did buccaneers leave on the islands that Melville claims is proof of their better traits?
(a) Buried treasure.
(b) Planted gardens.
(c) Carved stone furniture.
(d) Planted orchards.
5. What does the narrator's wife think of his apprehension about the apple-tree table?
(a) She thinks he is trying to frighten her.
(b) She thinks he is crazy.
(c) She thinks he is making it up.
(d) She thinks he is drunk.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Melville describe pelicans?
2. How does the lightning rod salesman feel about thunderstorms?
3. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" believe he should not be sued?
4. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
5. What did the American ship, the Essex, see in the Encantadas?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)