|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13 - 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) Fascination and charm.
(b) Solitude and desolation.
(c) Beauty and peace.
(d) Silence and serenity.
2. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
(a) The table is inscribed with signs and symbols.
(b) The table is unusually beautiful.
(c) The table is old.
(d) The table is Satanic-looking.
3. What did buccaneers leave on the islands that Melville claims is proof of their better traits?
(a) Buried treasure.
(b) Carved stone furniture.
(c) Planted gardens.
(d) Planted orchards.
4. What surprises the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" about the owner of the rooster?
(a) He is poor.
(b) He has a large family.
(c) He is old.
(d) He has many such roosters.
5. What first alarms the narrator about the apple-tree table?
(a) A mysterious odor.
(b) A steady drip.
(c) A sense of pervading evil.
(d) A ticking sound.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
2. How does the narrator of "The Apple-Tree Table" feel as his wife and daughters become more frightened?
3. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
4. How does Melville describe pelicans?
5. Why is it hard to see the mill when coming upon it?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)