|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13 - 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" decide never to leave home?
(a) His wife won't permit it.
(b) He is busy rebuilding the house.
(c) He is standing guard over the chimney.
(d) He is "sour and unsocial."
2. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" identify with his chimney?
(a) They are both tall and handsome.
(b) They are both obese old smokers.
(c) They are both an annoyance to the household.
(d) They are both. the center of attention.
3. In "I and My Chimney," what is the narrator's wife's maxim?
(a) Whatever is not, is not.
(b) Whatever is, is right.
(c) Whatever is, is wrong and must be altered.
4. Who finally persuaded the narrator of "I and My Chimney" to knock a few feet off the chimney?
(a) His neighbor.
(b) His daughters.
(c) His wife.
(d) His mortgage holder
5. What is the attitude of the bachelors in the Temple toward pain and trouble?
(a) Pain and trouble are unavoidable.
(b) Pain and trouble are for other people.
(c) Pain and trouble are everywhere.
(d) Pain and trouble are nonexistent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Hautboy lost in order to succeed?
2. What sort of feet did the apple-tree table have?
3. What did buccaneers leave on the islands that Melville claims is proof of their better traits?
4. Why does the lightning rod salesman claim that his rods are superior?
5. What caused the bell-ringing automaton to kill Bannadonna?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)