|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13 - 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" identify with his chimney?
(a) They are both obese old smokers.
(b) They are both an annoyance to the household.
(c) They are both. the center of attention.
(d) They are both tall and handsome.
2. With what alliteration does Melville describe the islands?
(a) Extensive elegant exotica.
(b) Fruitful festival of fecundity.
(c) An archipelago of aridities.
(d) Dark, doleful doomsday.
3. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
(a) The cormorant.
(b) The walrus.
(c) The penguin.
(d) The bat.
4. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
(a) The table is inscribed with signs and symbols.
(b) The table is Satanic-looking.
(c) The table is old.
(d) The table is unusually beautiful.
5. What sort of feet did the apple-tree table have?
(a) Carved mahogany.
(b) Marble balls.
(c) Brass fittings.
(d) Hooves like Satan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the maids work to produce?
2. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
3. What had Hautboy lost in order to succeed?
4. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view locomotives and steamships?
5. How does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" feel about the storm before the salesman arrives?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)