|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13 - 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the American ship, the Essex, see in the Encantadas?
(a) A ghost ship.
(b) An enchanted ship.
(c) A pirate ship.
(d) An English ship.
2. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" decide never to leave home?
(a) He is standing guard over the chimney.
(b) His wife won't permit it.
(c) He is busy rebuilding the house.
(d) He is "sour and unsocial."
3. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
(a) The cormorant.
(b) The bat.
(c) The penguin.
(d) The walrus.
4. What does Melville say is the most populous species on the island of Albermarle?
5. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the temperature at the mill?
2. Where do "'Gees" come from?
3. Why had Jimmy Rose never married?
4. In "I and My Chimney," what is the narrator's wife's maxim?
5. What emotion does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" say he has never felt since the rooster died?
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)