|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13 - 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What first alarms the narrator about the apple-tree table?
(a) A sense of pervading evil.
(b) A ticking sound.
(c) A steady drip.
(d) A mysterious odor.
2. Why does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" call the rooster Signor Beneventano?
(a) The rooster reminds him of a character in a play.
(b) The rooster reminds him of his neighbor.
(c) The rooster reminds him of a song.
(d) The rooster reminds him of a character in a book.
3. How does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" feel about the storm before the salesman arrives?
(a) He thinks the storm is "grand" and "glorious."
(b) He thinks the storm "thought-provoking."
(c) He thinks the storm is "terrifying."
(d) He thinks the storm is "radiant" and "beautiful."
4. To what sight in the city does Melville compare the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) A pile of leaves.
(b) A pile of trash.
(c) A pile of rocks.
(d) A pile of cinders.
5. How does Merrymusk convince the narrator that he is a rich man?
(a) He has a barn full of hay.
(b) He has a rooster worth five hundred dollars.
(c) He has a large family.
(d) He has a large tract of land.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" decide never to leave home?
2. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view the world?
3. What habit of the bachelors in the Temple does the narrator wish to introduce in his own country?
4. How does the narrator of "The Apple-Tree Table" feel as his wife and daughters become more frightened?
5. What happens to the rooster when the Merrymusk family dies?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)