|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13 - 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the American ship, the Essex, see in the Encantadas?
(a) A ghost ship.
(b) A pirate ship.
(c) An English ship.
(d) An enchanted ship.
2. What happens to the rooster when the Merrymusk family dies?
(a) The rooster dies too.
(b) The rooster goes home with the narrator.
(c) The rooster is sold for five hundred dollars.
(d) The rooster crows on the graves.
3. What is the attitude of the bachelors in the Temple toward pain and trouble?
(a) Pain and trouble are nonexistent.
(b) Pain and trouble are unavoidable.
(c) Pain and trouble are everywhere.
(d) Pain and trouble are for other people.
4. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
(a) A Bolivian pirate.
(b) A Creole soldier.
(c) A Peruvian king.
(d) A Chilean adventurer.
5. What object does the lookout spot that takes Melville's ship to Norfolk Isle?
(a) A burning fire.
(b) An American flag.
(c) A white bird.
(d) A handkerchief.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do "'Gees" come from?
2. What does the narrator in "The Paradise of Bachelors" say has become of the Knights Templar?
3. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
4. What does Melville say is the most populous species on the island of Albermarle?
5. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" identify with his chimney?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)