|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13 - 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" identify with his chimney?
(a) They are both tall and handsome.
(b) They are both obese old smokers.
(c) They are both an annoyance to the household.
(d) They are both. the center of attention.
2. What does the narrator's wife think of his apprehension about the apple-tree table?
(a) She thinks he is drunk.
(b) She thinks he is trying to frighten her.
(c) She thinks he is making it up.
(d) She thinks he is crazy.
3. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
(a) A Creole soldier.
(b) A Peruvian king.
(c) A Bolivian pirate.
(d) A Chilean adventurer.
4. Who finally persuaded the narrator of "I and My Chimney" to knock a few feet off the chimney?
(a) His mortgage holder
(b) His wife.
(c) His neighbor.
(d) His daughters.
5. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
(a) The cormorant.
(b) The bat.
(c) The walrus.
(d) The penguin.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" feel about the storm before the salesman arrives?
2. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
3. Why was Bannadonna excused for the homicide he committed?
4. What does the narrator decide to give the apple-tree table when he first discovers it?
5. Who wrote the book lying on the apple-tree table?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)