|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13 - 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
(a) The penguin.
(b) The bat.
(c) The walrus.
(d) The cormorant.
2. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view the world?
(a) Full of puzzles, traps, and confusion.
(b) Full of casualties, despotism, and knocks on the head.
(c) Full of dangers, snares, and delusions.
(d) Full of sunshine, flowers, and rainbows.
3. Who wrote the book lying on the apple-tree table?
(a) Cotton Mather.
4. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
(a) He apologizes.
(b) He offers to double his payment.
(c) He pays him promptly.
(d) He throws him out.
5. To what sight in the city does Melville compare the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) A pile of trash.
(b) A pile of rocks.
(c) A pile of cinders.
(d) A pile of leaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" feel about the storm before the salesman arrives?
2. What does the narrator in "The Paradise of Bachelors" say has become of the Knights Templar?
3. What animal from the islands supplies sailors with food and utensils?
4. Why had Jimmy Rose often been chosen to present awards?
5. What sort of feet did the apple-tree table have?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)