|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13 - 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
(a) His wife.
(b) His neighbor.
(c) His banker.
(d) His creditor.
2. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
(a) Silence and serenity.
(b) Solitude and desolation.
(c) Beauty and peace.
(d) Fascination and charm.
3. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
(a) The table is Satanic-looking.
(b) The table is inscribed with signs and symbols.
(c) The table is old.
(d) The table is unusually beautiful.
4. What does the narrator decide to give the apple-tree table when he first discovers it?
(a) A happier book.
(b) A warm environment.
(c) A place of honor.
(d) Kind attention.
5. Why is it hard to see the mill when coming upon it?
(a) The mill is painted to camouflage the entrance.
(b) The mill's entrance is disguised by branches.
(c) The mill is hidden in a cave.
(d) The whole landscape is white.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" treat his creditor after hearing the crow?
2. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
3. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view the world?
4. What god does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" think the salesman resembles?
5. Where do "'Gees" come from?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)