|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13 - 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator of "I and My Chimney" identify with his chimney?
(a) They are both tall and handsome.
(b) They are both obese old smokers.
(c) They are both. the center of attention.
(d) They are both an annoyance to the household.
2. What did Jimmy Rose have to offer the rich after he lost his fortune?
3. Who is the worst enemy of the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?"
(a) His neighbor.
(b) His banker.
(c) His creditor.
(d) His wife.
4. How does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" feel about the storm before the salesman arrives?
(a) He thinks the storm "thought-provoking."
(b) He thinks the storm is "grand" and "glorious."
(c) He thinks the storm is "terrifying."
(d) He thinks the storm is "radiant" and "beautiful."
5. What did buccaneers leave on the islands that Melville claims is proof of their better traits?
(a) Carved stone furniture.
(b) Planted gardens.
(c) Buried treasure.
(d) Planted orchards.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Hautboy lost in order to succeed?
2. What does the narrator in "The Fiddler" aspire to become?
3. What does Melville say is the most populous species on the island of Albermarle?
4. Why is it hard to see the mill when coming upon it?
5. Why had Jimmy Rose often been chosen to present awards?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)