|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13 - 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What impresses the narrator about the mill?
(a) The clean air and water.
(b) The gigantic press machine.
(c) The cheerfulness of the workers.
(d) The efficiency of the operation.
2. What happens to the rooster when the Merrymusk family dies?
(a) The rooster is sold for five hundred dollars.
(b) The rooster goes home with the narrator.
(c) The rooster crows on the graves.
(d) The rooster dies too.
3. What object does the lookout spot that takes Melville's ship to Norfolk Isle?
(a) A handkerchief.
(b) A white bird.
(c) An American flag.
(d) A burning fire.
4. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
(a) The penguin.
(b) The bat.
(c) The cormorant.
(d) The walrus.
5. What contributes to the narrator's thoughts about the apple-tree table being supernatural?
(a) The table is inscribed with signs and symbols.
(b) The table is Satanic-looking.
(c) The table is old.
(d) The table is unusually beautiful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jimmy Rose have to offer the rich after he lost his fortune?
2. What two characteristics does Melville attribute to the islands of the Encantadas?
3. What did the American ship, the Essex, see in the Encantadas?
4. What is the attitude of the bachelors in the Temple toward pain and trouble?
5. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)