|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13 - 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country possessed the Encantadas at the time Melville wrote?
2. How does the narrator of "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo?" view the world?
(a) Full of puzzles, traps, and confusion.
(b) Full of casualties, despotism, and knocks on the head.
(c) Full of sunshine, flowers, and rainbows.
(d) Full of dangers, snares, and delusions.
3. What animal does Melville claim is not at home at sea, on land, or in the air?
(a) The bat.
(b) The penguin.
(c) The walrus.
(d) The cormorant.
4. What animal from the islands supplies sailors with food and utensils?
(a) The albatross.
(b) The tortoise.
(c) The iguana.
(d) The seal.
5. What is the temperature at the mill?
(a) Oppressively hot.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator in "The Lightning Rod Man" feel about the storm before the salesman arrives?
2. What does Melville call the government the Creole soldier established on St. Charles?
3. Who takes possession as the sole ruler of St. Charles Isle?
4. How does Merrymusk convince the narrator that he is a rich man?
5. What habit of the bachelors in the Temple does the narrator wish to introduce in his own country?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)