* The narrator proposes to tell a story from his seagoing experience to a chorus of Peruvians listeners.
* The Town-Ho, a sperm whaler out of Nantucket, springs a leak in the Pacific.
* The captain is at first unworried about the leak because he has good pumps and a strong crew.
* Radney, the mate, dislikes Steelkilt, who is strong and handsome.
* Radney orders Steelkilt to sweep the decks just as Steelkilt is coming off a long, hard shift at the pumps.
* Steelkilt refuses the order.
* Steelkilt points out that three boys are aboard who haven't worked all day.
* Enraged, Radney demands that Steelkilt obey orders and threatens him with a hammer.
* Steelkilt hits Radney on the jaw.
* Steelkilt's associates back him up as he demands that he not be punished.
* The captain orders Steelkilt and the others into the hold.
* After days in the hold...
This section contains 1,351 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)