|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who uses the rape as an excuse to go after Toomer?
2. What happens to Sammy?
3. What does Sister Loretta say a human body is?
4. Who tells Ben she often thinks of dying?
5. What does Mary Anne let Sammy's date borrow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ben's biggest fear as he tries out for basketball?
2. What does Ben say to his father while taking him home after a night of drinking and fighting?
3. How does being Jewish affect Sammy?
4. Why does Ben go to Toomer's even after Bull refuses to allow him to go?
5. Why does Mary Anne call the bar where Bull and his squadron are drinking together, pretending to be Lillian?
6. What does Mary Anne confess to Ben during the prom?
7. Who is Junior Palmer?
8. Bull dies a hero. How does this affect the family dynamics?
9. Sammy's date is brutally raped after he is forced out of his car. What impact will this episode have on Sammy and the people of Ravenel?
10. What is the significance of the story Mary Anne tells on Christmas Eve as the family waits for Bull to get ready for church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Toomer? What impact does Toomer have on Ben's life? Why? hat does Toomer do for Ben that Bull cannot? Why can Bull not be the father for Ben that he needs? Why can Toomer provide these missing things for Ben? What does Toomer's presence in Ben's life say about his relationship with Bull?
Essay Topic 2
Sammy's date is raped while they are on a date. Why does Sammy leave the girl to be raped? How could Sammy have helped the girl? Who rapes the girl? How does word of this rape cause trouble in Ravenel? Who do the locals blame for the rape? Is Sammy blamed? What happens to Sammy? How does this episode effect Ben?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of racism. What examples of racism are there in this novel? How does racism affect the characters of the novel directly? Indirectly? What characters are motivated by racism? What characters are affected by racism? Why?
This section contains 1,333 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)