|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who plans on teaching her students about sex?
2. Why does Mary Anne call Bull at the bar?
3. What game did Sammy tell the girls he plays?
4. Who comes to watch Ben in the try outs?
5. What story does Mary Anne tell the kids while waiting to go to church on Christmas Eve?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bull criticize Ben's play during his first basketball game? How does Ben feel about this?
2. How is Bull's behavior on Christmas morning in contrast with the story Mary Anne tells on Christmas Eve?
3. Is there a difference between loving Bull and accepting his cruel behavior?
4. What is the significance of the story Mary Anne tells on Christmas Eve as the family waits for Bull to get ready for church?
5. Why does Mary Anne call the bar where Bull and his squadron are drinking together, pretending to be Lillian?
6. Why does Ben go to Toomer's even after Bull refuses to allow him to go?
7. Why is Ben the only one held after Sammy and Ben are arrested attempting to blackmail Junior?
8. Whom does Ben recall during try outs? What impact did this man have on Ben's life? What was Bull's role in this relationship?
9. What is significant about the sexual discussions in the locker room?
10. Why does Ben invite Mary Anne to the prom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Toomer? What impact does Toomer have on Ben's life? Why? hat does Toomer do for Ben that Bull cannot? Why can Bull not be the father for Ben that he needs? Why can Toomer provide these missing things for Ben? What does Toomer's presence in Ben's life say about his relationship with Bull?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the Meecham family move to Ravenel? Why are the children unhappy about this move? What is different about this move than other moves the family has endured? Why does Mary Anne begin to cry in the car? Why does Mary Anne throw her tears at her father? What does Mary Anne blame her father for? Why is Mary Anne not afraid of her father? Should Mary Anne be afraid of her father? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the military. What is significant about Bull's military career as it affects his family? How does Bull feel about the Marines? Does his family feel the same? Compare and contrast the way Bull and his family view the military. How does Ben feel about the Marines? Does Ben want to be a Marine? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,450 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)