|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bull go to speak to the local Catholic priest?
2. Where does Bull stop so that everyone can go to the bathroom?
3. Who does Ansley leave Ben to hang out with?
4. What does Bull give Ben for his birthday?
5. With whom does Bull meet after the ceremony in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does a Naval officer threaten to file a conduct report against Bull?
2. Why does Bull begin having breakfast at Hobie's Grill?
3. Why does Bull take Ben out to Biddle Island Marine Training Depot?
4. Bull sits and reflects after the change of command ceremony that gives him command of his own squad. How does Bull feel?
5. Why do both the Meecham children's mother and grandmother plead with the children to behave on the road trip to South Carolina?
6. Why does Mary Anne believe neither she nor Ben will ever be writers?
7. Why does Bull want Ben to date Ansley Matthews? How does Ben feel about this date?
8. What surprise does Bull have for his family when they reach Ravenel?
9. What does Varney know about Bull that few others know?
10. What does Mary Anne throw at Bull?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Bull's job in Ravenel? Why is Bull excited about this new job? What could this job mean for Bull's future? Why does Bull not like his commander, Varney? Who is Varney? What is Varney's relationship with Bull? How could Varney harm Bull's career? Would Varney ruin Bull's career? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Ben is man of the family in his father's absence. How is the family different with Ben in charge? How is the family the same? How is Ben like Bull? How is Ben different? Will Ben grow up to be his own man, or will he follow in his father's footsteps? How has Bull's early death affected the course of Ben's life? How might Ben's life been different had Bull not died the way he did?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the military. What is significant about Bull's military career as it affects his family? How does Bull feel about the Marines? Does his family feel the same? Compare and contrast the way Bull and his family view the military. How does Ben feel about the Marines? Does Ben want to be a Marine? Why or why not?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)