|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, who cries while they are at the table?
2. What does Gilly expect to get for stealing that doesn't happen?
3. What brings tears to Mrs. Trotter's eyes?
4. Why doesn't Gilly want to be in her mother's old bedroom?
5. What does Gilly have to do about the money she has given to Agnes and can't return to Mrs. Trotter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gilly concerned when her grandmother promises to get her out of the Trotter foster home?
2. What does Gilly intend to do with all the money she has stolen?
3. Why doesn't Mrs. Trotter step in and fight to keep Gilly living with her?
4. What happens to Gilly's relationship with William Ernest when she is permitted to stay with Mrs. Trotter?
5. How quickly is the move from Mrs. Trotter's to her grandmother's going to take?
6. How different is Gilly's new home from Mrs. Trotter's?
7. What is the exciting news when Gilly writes her final letter in the novel to her foster family?
8. In Chapter 14, what does Gilly write about in her letters to Mrs. Trotter and William Ernest?
9. Who is the strange visitor while everyone is sick and why does she tell Gilly she is there?
10. What becomes clear in the letters exchanged between Miss Harris and Gilly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In an essay explain the exchange of letters between Gilly, William Ernest, Mrs. Trotter, and Miss Harris. What do the letters say about the people writing them? Why does Gilly feel she must lie about her new life?
Essay Topic 2
Have the students write an essay about Gilly's adverse reaction to Mr. Randolph and Miss Harris being black. Besides the fact it was obvious she had little experience around people of a different race, what other reasons could there have been for her feelings? Did she pick this up from her other foster parents? Could the location of where she lived have anything to do with it?
Essay Topic 3
Have the students write an essay about Gilly resorting to stealing to get money to visit her mother. Does Gilly realize the consequences for stealing or just not care? Is stealing just part of her acting out, or is it something totally different? Explain.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)