|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Trotter say when she falls on top of Gilly?
2. When William Ernest asks if he can visit Gilly, what does Mrs. Trotter say?
3. What is Mrs. Trotter's reaction when Gilly admits taking money from Mr. Randolph?
4. What does William Ernest do when they think Gilly won't return home with them?
5. What happens when Gilly reminds Mrs. Trotter she once said she'd "never let her go"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gilly choose her uncle's bedroom over her mother's?
2. What happens during the night that both hurts and helps Gilly regarding her move?
3. What happens to Gilly's plans to go see her mother in California?
4. Why is Gilly concerned when her grandmother promises to get her out of the Trotter foster home?
5. What happens when Mr. Randolph gets sick?
6. What happens to Gilly's relationship with William Ernest when she is permitted to stay with Mrs. Trotter?
7. The night before Gilly is to leave the Trotter home, what is distressing Gilly the most?
8. What does Gilly's grandmother try to do as she prepares for her daughter's visit?
9. What is Gilly trying to teach William Ernest and why?
10. What does Gilly intend to do with all the money she has stolen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the time Gilly spends caring for Mr. Randolph, Mrs. Trotter, and William Ernest while they were ill. Why does she stay home from school to care for them? Does she just want to skip school or does she genuinely care about them? What changes are seen in Gilly as she cares for the three people?
Essay Topic 2
Have the students write an essay about Gilly's adverse reaction to Mr. Randolph and Miss Harris being black. Besides the fact it was obvious she had little experience around people of a different race, what other reasons could there have been for her feelings? Did she pick this up from her other foster parents? Could the location of where she lived have anything to do with it?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay and explain where the turning point is in the story. When does Gilly begin to accept and maybe even like living at Mrs. Trotter's. Explain what the circumstances are that changed Gilly.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)