|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much total money did Gilly get ?
2. After all her work dusting both homes, what does Gilly have to show for it?
3. What do Gilly and William Ernest find high on the shelf?
4. What is the name of Gilly's last foster mother?
5. What does Miss Harris do at 3 o'clock when class was over?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Gilly thinking about her reputation as a foster child as she and Miss Ellis drive to Gilly's new foster home?
2. What kind of tie does Gilly pick out for Mr. Randolph after he gets a spot on his own tie?
3. What happens to Gilly when Miss Ellis tells her she is going to have to live with her grandmother?
4. Why is Gilly concerned when her grandmother promises to get her out of the Trotter foster home?
5. Why doesn't Gilly feel her mother's picture fit in her new room?
6. How does Mr. Randolph explain the word "mean" to Gilly when she asks how a flower can be mean?
7. What does Gilly feel about the books she finds on Mr. Randolph's bookshelf?
8. What does Gilly ask to be allowed to do that surprises Mrs. Trotter?
9. What analogy does Gilly use to describe Miss Harris's seeming lack of emotions?
10. The night before Gilly is to leave the Trotter home, what is distressing Gilly the most?
Essay Topic 1
In an essay, explain what happens when Gilly finally realizes her grandmother showed up because of the letters Gilly wrote her mother. How does Gilly handle this? Is she worried?
Essay Topic 2
Have the students write an essay about Gilly resorting to stealing to get money to visit her mother. Does Gilly realize the consequences for stealing or just not care? Is stealing just part of her acting out, or is it something totally different? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
In an essay explain the effect leaving has on Gilly. What happens when she has a nightmare the night before she is to leave? What does Mrs. Trotter do and say to help her with the adjustment of moving? What does this tell readers about Mrs. Trotter and Gilly's relationship dynamics?
This section contains 1,587 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)