|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gilly perceive to be her first job with William Ernest?
2. What kind of class does Gilly's new principal say she should be in?
3. Who does Gilly walk home after they are finished flying the plane?
4. What is written on the note Agnes gives to Gilly when they walk home from school together?
5. What does Gilly tell Mrs. Trotter when she asks about Mr. Randolph?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Gilly's reply when Mrs. Trotter empathizes with the difficulty Gilly must have had by being moved around so often?
2. Why does Gilly slam the book shut after she begins reading poetry to Mr. Randolph?
3. What analogy does Gilly use to describe Miss Harris's seeming lack of emotions?
4. What makes Gilly change her mind and comb her hair for her first day of school?
5. Why does Gilly become so upset when she learns about Mrs. Trotter's regular dinner guest, Mr. Randolph?
6. What does Gilly do at recess on the playground?
7. What is Gilly's first impression of Agnes Stokes, the girl she meets at recess on her second day in her new school?
8. What does Gilly ask to be allowed to do that surprises Mrs. Trotter?
9. What is Gilly's usual trick to get her teachers upset about her abilities?
10. What does Gilly feel about the books she finds on Mr. Randolph's bookshelf?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Have the students write an essay about Mr. Randolph's apparent fear that his son will make him move in with him. Why is he so determined to stay on his own? Aren't his blindness and age reasons enough he should move in with someone who can look after him? Is he grasping to his last shred of independence? Is this common among elderly, or is this just one man's stubbornness?
Essay Topic 2
Have the students write about Gilly's pride that everything she does that was bad. It is normal for a child to act out occasionally, but is Gilly's acting out normal? Why does she act out? What is her reward for being bad? Explain answers.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what happens when Gilly finally meets her mother. What surprises her about her mother? What does her mother say or do that upsets her? Why does she want to leave? What does Mrs. Trotter tell her that makes her decide to stay with her grandmother?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)