|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gilly feel about her prank?
2. What does Gilly do when Agnes begins to gossip about the other students?
3. What happens when Agnes signals Gilly that Mrs. Trotter and Mr. Randolph are home?
4. What does Gilly do by the third week in October?
5. What kind of book does Mrs. Trotter say Mr. Randolph likes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Gilly decided to pay attention in Miss Harris's class?
2. What does Agnes Stokes take for granted about Gilly?
3. What does Mr. Evans, Gilly's new principal, explain about the class he is putting Gilly into?
4. Where does Gilly get the idea to play an unkind racist joke on Miss Harris?
5. What is Gilly's reply when Mrs. Trotter empathizes with the difficulty Gilly must have had by being moved around so often?
6. How does Mr. Randolph explain the word "mean" to Gilly when she asks how a flower can be mean?
7. At the end of Chapter 5, why won't Gilly look over her shoulder at Mrs. Trotter?
8. In Chapter 7, what plan is Gilly concocting?
9. What does Gilly do at recess on the playground?
10. What does Miss Harris tell Gilly about her given name, Galadriel, and how does Gilly respond when her new teacher asks to call her by that name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Have the students try to determine what William Ernest's problem really is and write an essay about it. Is he mentally slow as Gilly first thinks? Or, is he developmentally slow for a different reason? Perhaps, he is just very shy. What in the novel reveals some things about William Ernest's past that may explain his problem?
Essay Topic 2
In an essay, explain what happens when Gilly finally realizes her grandmother showed up because of the letters Gilly wrote her mother. How does Gilly handle this? Is she worried?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what happens when Gilly finally meets her mother. What surprises her about her mother? What does her mother say or do that upsets her? Why does she want to leave? What does Mrs. Trotter tell her that makes her decide to stay with her grandmother?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)