|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Gilly Hopkins?
2. What does Gilly to to frighten William Ernest?
3. What is written on the note Agnes gives to Gilly when they walk home from school together?
4. What kind of class does Gilly's new principal say she should be in?
5. What does Miss Harris do at 3 o'clock when class was over?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unpleasant memory does Gilly have when she thinks about Mrs. Trotter overprotecting William Ernest?
2. What is Gilly thinking about her reputation as a foster child as she and Miss Ellis drive to Gilly's new foster home?
3. Where does Gilly get the idea to play an unkind racist joke on Miss Harris?
4. Why does Gilly become so upset when she learns about Mrs. Trotter's regular dinner guest, Mr. Randolph?
5. What does Gilly do at recess on the playground?
6. What is Gilly's usual trick to get her teachers upset about her abilities?
7. What happens to Gilly when she is cleaning shelves for Mr. Randolph while he is in the room?
8. At the end of Chapter 5, why won't Gilly look over her shoulder at Mrs. Trotter?
9. What does Gilly ask to be allowed to do that surprises Mrs. Trotter?
10. What goes through Gilly's mind when she thinks about her last foster parents getting rid of her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Have the students write an essay about Gilly's adverse reaction to Mr. Randolph and Miss Harris being black. Besides the fact it was obvious she had little experience around people of a different race, what other reasons could there have been for her feelings? Did she pick this up from her other foster parents? Could the location of where she lived have anything to do with it?
Essay Topic 2
In an essay explain the exchange of letters between Gilly, William Ernest, Mrs. Trotter, and Miss Harris. What do the letters say about the people writing them? Why does Gilly feel she must lie about her new life?
Essay Topic 3
Have the students write an essay about Gilly resorting to stealing to get money to visit her mother. Does Gilly realize the consequences for stealing or just not care? Is stealing just part of her acting out, or is it something totally different? Explain.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)