|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gilly tell Agnes when she asks to come in the house with Gilly?
2. What does Gilly do when the principal offers to help her?
3. What does Gilly to to frighten William Ernest?
4. What upsets Gilly when she starts reading a poem?
5. In Chapter 4, what does Gilly offer to do with William Ernest after dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Gilly and Agnes have in common?
2. In Chapter 7, what plan is Gilly concocting?
3. At the end of Chapter 5, why won't Gilly look over her shoulder at Mrs. Trotter?
4. What happens to Gilly when she is cleaning shelves for Mr. Randolph while he is in the room?
5. What analogy does Gilly use to describe Miss Harris's seeming lack of emotions?
6. What is Gilly's reply when Mrs. Trotter empathizes with the difficulty Gilly must have had by being moved around so often?
7. What is Gilly thinking after meeting her new foster mother, Mrs. Trotter?
8. Where does Gilly get the idea to play an unkind racist joke on Miss Harris?
9. What is Gilly thinking about her reputation as a foster child as she and Miss Ellis drive to Gilly's new foster home?
10. What does Agnes Stokes take for granted about Gilly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In an essay explain the exchange of letters between Gilly, William Ernest, Mrs. Trotter, and Miss Harris. What do the letters say about the people writing them? Why does Gilly feel she must lie about her new life?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the scene where Miss Ellis comes to tell Gilly she must go live with her grandmother. What is Miss Ellis trying to explain about Gilly's mother? Why doesn't Mrs. Trotter try to keep Gilly from leaving?
Essay Topic 3
Have the students explain Gilly's reaction to her grandmother and her new home. What fact stands out to Gilly? Why can't she put out her mother's photograph?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)