|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Gilly drops off to sleep her first night with Mrs. Trotter, what does she decide to do?
2. What does Gilly find when she pulls an encyclopedia from Mr. Randolph's bookshelf?
3. In Chapter 4, which book does Gilly read to Mr. Randolph after dinner?
4. What does Mrs. Trotter say to Gilly after watching William Ernest fly the plane?
5. In Chapter 5, what does Gilly decide to do with Agnes Stokes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gilly become so upset when she learns about Mrs. Trotter's regular dinner guest, Mr. Randolph?
2. What is the first thing that Gilly realizes about her mother when she finally meets her?
3. What happens to Gilly when Miss Ellis tells her she is going to have to live with her grandmother?
4. What is Courtney like when Gilly meets her?
5. What does Gilly do at recess on the playground?
6. What is Gilly thinking after meeting her new foster mother, Mrs. Trotter?
7. What happens during Thanksgiving week that keeps Gilly away from school on Tuesday and Wednesday?
8. What happens when Gilly realizes her mother is only staying for two days?
9. What do Gilly and Agnes have in common?
10. Why has Gilly decided to pay attention in Miss Harris's class?
Essay Topic 1
Have the students try to determine what William Ernest's problem really is and write an essay about it. Is he mentally slow as Gilly first thinks? Or, is he developmentally slow for a different reason? Perhaps, he is just very shy. What in the novel reveals some things about William Ernest's past that may explain his problem?
Essay Topic 2
In an essay, explain what happens when Gilly finally realizes her grandmother showed up because of the letters Gilly wrote her mother. How does Gilly handle this? Is she worried?
Essay Topic 3
In an essay explain the effect leaving has on Gilly. What happens when she has a nightmare the night before she is to leave? What does Mrs. Trotter do and say to help her with the adjustment of moving? What does this tell readers about Mrs. Trotter and Gilly's relationship dynamics?
This section contains 1,621 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)