Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Gilly drops off to sleep her first night with Mrs. Trotter, what does she decide to do?
2. What does Gilly find when she pulls an encyclopedia from Mr. Randolph's bookshelf?
3. In Chapter 4, which book does Gilly read to Mr. Randolph after dinner?
4. What does Mrs. Trotter say to Gilly after watching William Ernest fly the plane?
5. In Chapter 5, what does Gilly decide to do with Agnes Stokes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gilly become so upset when she learns about Mrs. Trotter's regular dinner guest, Mr. Randolph?
2. What is the first thing that Gilly realizes about her mother when she finally meets her?
3. What happens to Gilly when Miss Ellis tells her she is going to have to live with her grandmother?
4. What is Courtney like when Gilly meets her?
5. What does Gilly do at recess on the playground?
6. What is Gilly thinking after meeting her new foster mother, Mrs. Trotter?
7. What happens during Thanksgiving week that keeps Gilly away from school on Tuesday and Wednesday?
8. What happens when Gilly realizes her mother is only staying for two days?
9. What do Gilly and Agnes have in common?
10. Why has Gilly decided to pay attention in Miss Harris's class?
Essay Topic 1
Have the students write an essay about what it was like for Gilly being a foster child. What does it mean to be a foster child? Is there a stigma being a foster child? How many foster homes had Gilly been in before Mrs. Trotter's? Why? Was it any fault of her own? How did this affect her attitude?
Essay Topic 2
Have the students write an essay about Mr. Randolph's apparent fear that his son will make him move in with him. Why is he so determined to stay on his own? Aren't his blindness and age reasons enough he should move in with someone who can look after him? Is he grasping to his last shred of independence? Is this common among elderly, or is this just one man's stubbornness?
Essay Topic 3
What happens when Gilly's grandmother shows up--not just the bad timing but the fact that she does show up? Is Gilly surprised? Happy? Disappointed? Uncertain? After all her time wanting to be with her mother, why does Gilly react as she does when she learns her mother wants her to be with her grandmother? Answer and explain in an essay.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)