|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname gives Gilly great pride?
2. Who is William Ernest?
3. In Chapter 4, which book does Gilly read to Mr. Randolph after dinner?
4. What does Miss Harris do at 3 o'clock when class was over?
5. What does Gilly find when she pulls an encyclopedia from Mr. Randolph's bookshelf?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Agnes Stokes take for granted about Gilly?
2. What is Gilly's first impression of Agnes Stokes, the girl she meets at recess on her second day in her new school?
3. What is Gilly thinking after meeting her new foster mother, Mrs. Trotter?
4. What is Gilly thinking about her reputation as a foster child as she and Miss Ellis drive to Gilly's new foster home?
5. What does Mr. Evans, Gilly's new principal, explain about the class he is putting Gilly into?
6. What does Gilly's social worker, Miss Ellis, try to explain to Gilly before they arrive at her new foster home?
7. What is Gilly's reply when Mrs. Trotter empathizes with the difficulty Gilly must have had by being moved around so often?
8. What happens to Gilly when she is cleaning shelves for Mr. Randolph while he is in the room?
9. At the end of Chapter 5, why won't Gilly look over her shoulder at Mrs. Trotter?
10. In Chapter 7, what plan is Gilly concocting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Have the students write an essay about Gilly resorting to stealing to get money to visit her mother. Does Gilly realize the consequences for stealing or just not care? Is stealing just part of her acting out, or is it something totally different? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Have the students try to determine what William Ernest's problem really is and write an essay about it. Is he mentally slow as Gilly first thinks? Or, is he developmentally slow for a different reason? Perhaps, he is just very shy. What in the novel reveals some things about William Ernest's past that may explain his problem?
Essay Topic 3
Have the students write about Gilly's pride that everything she does that was bad. It is normal for a child to act out occasionally, but is Gilly's acting out normal? Why does she act out? What is her reward for being bad? Explain answers.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)