|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gilly run away with at recess?
2. Who is Gilly Hopkins?
3. After all her work dusting both homes, what does Gilly have to show for it?
4. What does Gilly perceive to be her first job with William Ernest?
5. Who is Mr. Randolph?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unpleasant memory does Gilly have when she thinks about Mrs. Trotter overprotecting William Ernest?
2. What makes Gilly change her mind and comb her hair for her first day of school?
3. What goes through Gilly's mind when she thinks about her last foster parents getting rid of her?
4. At the end of Chapter 5, why won't Gilly look over her shoulder at Mrs. Trotter?
5. What does Miss Harris tell Gilly about her given name, Galadriel, and how does Gilly respond when her new teacher asks to call her by that name?
6. How does Mr. Randolph explain the word "mean" to Gilly when she asks how a flower can be mean?
7. What happens to Gilly when she is cleaning shelves for Mr. Randolph while he is in the room?
8. Why does Gilly slam the book shut after she begins reading poetry to Mr. Randolph?
9. In Chapter 7, what plan is Gilly concocting?
10. What is Gilly's reply when Mrs. Trotter empathizes with the difficulty Gilly must have had by being moved around so often?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Have the students write an essay about what it was like for Gilly being a foster child. What does it mean to be a foster child? Is there a stigma being a foster child? How many foster homes had Gilly been in before Mrs. Trotter's? Why? Was it any fault of her own? How did this affect her attitude?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay and explain where the turning point is in the story. When does Gilly begin to accept and maybe even like living at Mrs. Trotter's. Explain what the circumstances are that changed Gilly.
Essay Topic 3
Have the students write an essay about Gilly resorting to stealing to get money to visit her mother. Does Gilly realize the consequences for stealing or just not care? Is stealing just part of her acting out, or is it something totally different? Explain.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)