|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gilly do by the third week in October?
2. What shocks Gilly when she first met Miss Harris?
3. How many foster homes has Gilly been in during the last three years?
4. What does Miss Harris admit doing in the teacher's room at noon?
5. What happens while Gilly is in her room looking at the mail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Gilly's reply when Mrs. Trotter empathizes with the difficulty Gilly must have had by being moved around so often?
2. What unpleasant memory does Gilly have when she thinks about Mrs. Trotter overprotecting William Ernest?
3. At the end of Chapter 5, why won't Gilly look over her shoulder at Mrs. Trotter?
4. What does Miss Harris tell Gilly about her given name, Galadriel, and how does Gilly respond when her new teacher asks to call her by that name?
5. What is upsetting to Gilly after she plays her joke on Miss Harris?
6. What does Mr. Evans, Gilly's new principal, explain about the class he is putting Gilly into?
7. What analogy does Gilly use to describe Miss Harris's seeming lack of emotions?
8. What does Gilly's social worker, Miss Ellis, try to explain to Gilly before they arrive at her new foster home?
9. What goes through Gilly's mind when she thinks about her last foster parents getting rid of her?
10. What is Gilly thinking after meeting her new foster mother, Mrs. Trotter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In an essay answer the following questions: Why is Mrs. Trotter so determined to keep Gilly living with her, even after Gilly has stolen money to run away? What is motivating Mrs. Trotter to fight so hard to keep Gilly?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Mrs. Trotter's way of handling Gilly's punishment for stealing money from her and Mr. Randolph. Was this the first time a foster child stole from her? Was her punishment too severe or too easy? Why does she go about it the way she does?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what Gilly sees about William Ernest that no one else seems to see. Why does Gilly think he's being overprotected? What does she do about it? How does she explain this to Mrs. Trotter?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)