Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Gilly drops off to sleep her first night with Mrs. Trotter, what does she decide to do?
2. What does Gilly find when she pulls an encyclopedia from Mr. Randolph's bookshelf?
3. In Chapter 4, which book does Gilly read to Mr. Randolph after dinner?
4. What does Mrs. Trotter say to Gilly after watching William Ernest fly the plane?
5. In Chapter 5, what does Gilly decide to do with Agnes Stokes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gilly become so upset when she learns about Mrs. Trotter's regular dinner guest, Mr. Randolph?
2. What is the first thing that Gilly realizes about her mother when she finally meets her?
3. What happens to Gilly when Miss Ellis tells her she is going to have to live with her grandmother?
4. What is Courtney like when Gilly meets her?
5. What does Gilly do at recess on the playground?
6. What is Gilly thinking after meeting her new foster mother, Mrs. Trotter?
7. What happens during Thanksgiving week that keeps Gilly away from school on Tuesday and Wednesday?
8. What happens when Gilly realizes her mother is only staying for two days?
9. What do Gilly and Agnes have in common?
10. Why has Gilly decided to pay attention in Miss Harris's class?
Have the students try to determine what William Ernest's problem really is and write an essay about it. Is he mentally slow as Gilly first thinks? Or, is he developmentally slow for a different reason? Perhaps, he is just very shy. What in the novel reveals some things about William Ernest's past that may explain his problem?
Write an essay about the scene where Miss Ellis comes to tell Gilly she must go live with her grandmother. What is Miss Ellis trying to explain about Gilly's mother? Why doesn't Mrs. Trotter try to keep Gilly from leaving?
In an essay answer the following questions: Why is Mrs. Trotter so determined to keep Gilly living with her, even after Gilly has stolen money to run away? What is motivating Mrs. Trotter to fight so hard to keep Gilly?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)