|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Gilly moved from Mrs. Richmond's care?
2. What does Gilly to to frighten William Ernest?
3. Who is Mr. Randolph?
4. In Chapter 7, what is Gilly's last desperate gesture?
5. What kind of class does Gilly's new principal say she should be in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gilly ask to be allowed to do that surprises Mrs. Trotter?
2. What makes Gilly change her mind and comb her hair for her first day of school?
3. What is Gilly thinking about her reputation as a foster child as she and Miss Ellis drive to Gilly's new foster home?
4. Why has Gilly decided to pay attention in Miss Harris's class?
5. In Chapter 7, what plan is Gilly concocting?
6. What is so special to Gilly about the photo she carries with her from foster home to foster home?
7. What is Gilly thinking after meeting her new foster mother, Mrs. Trotter?
8. What happens to Gilly when she is cleaning shelves for Mr. Randolph while he is in the room?
9. What does Miss Harris tell Gilly about her given name, Galadriel, and how does Gilly respond when her new teacher asks to call her by that name?
10. What do Gilly and Agnes have in common?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In an essay explain the exchange of letters between Gilly, William Ernest, Mrs. Trotter, and Miss Harris. What do the letters say about the people writing them? Why does Gilly feel she must lie about her new life?
Essay Topic 2
Have the students try to determine what William Ernest's problem really is and write an essay about it. Is he mentally slow as Gilly first thinks? Or, is he developmentally slow for a different reason? Perhaps, he is just very shy. What in the novel reveals some things about William Ernest's past that may explain his problem?
Essay Topic 3
In an essay, explain what happens when Gilly finally realizes her grandmother showed up because of the letters Gilly wrote her mother. How does Gilly handle this? Is she worried?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)