|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Gilly goes to get Mr. Randolph for dinner?
2. Why is Gilly so upset with Agnes in the cafeteria?
3. How many foster homes has Gilly been in during the last three years?
4. Who is Mr. Evans?
5. What does Mrs. Trotter say about making friends with Gilly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gilly choose her uncle's bedroom over her mother's?
2. What is Courtney like when Gilly meets her?
3. What does Gilly do at recess on the playground?
4. What is Gilly's usual trick to get her teachers upset about her abilities?
5. What does Agnes Stokes take for granted about Gilly?
6. Why is Gilly concerned when her grandmother promises to get her out of the Trotter foster home?
7. Where does Gilly get the idea to play an unkind racist joke on Miss Harris?
8. In the beginning of Chapter 1, what is learned about Gilly Hopkins' time in the foster system?
9. What happens when Gilly realizes her mother is only staying for two days?
10. How quickly is the move from Mrs. Trotter's to her grandmother's going to take?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Have the students write an essay about Gilly's tendency to believe she is better than anyone else. Does it go beyond high self-esteem to the point of conceit? What drives her to be better, smarter, stronger, etc.? Is there anything wrong with feeling that way? If so, what?
Essay Topic 2
Have the students explain Gilly's reaction to her grandmother and her new home. What fact stands out to Gilly? Why can't she put out her mother's photograph?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what happens when Gilly finally meets her mother. What surprises her about her mother? What does her mother say or do that upsets her? Why does she want to leave? What does Mrs. Trotter tell her that makes her decide to stay with her grandmother?
This section contains 1,568 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)