|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Agnes Stokes?
2. When Mrs. Trotter comes to check on Gilly at Mr. Randolph's house, what does the girl tell her she had found?
3. What does Miss Harris admit after class?
4. What does Mrs. Trotter say about making friends with Gilly?
5. Why is Gilly plotting something?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gilly slam the book shut after she begins reading poetry to Mr. Randolph?
2. In Chapter 7, what plan is Gilly concocting?
3. What is Gilly thinking about her reputation as a foster child as she and Miss Ellis drive to Gilly's new foster home?
4. What does Gilly feel about the books she finds on Mr. Randolph's bookshelf?
5. What does Gilly do at recess on the playground?
6. Why does Gilly become so upset when she learns about Mrs. Trotter's regular dinner guest, Mr. Randolph?
7. What is so special to Gilly about the photo she carries with her from foster home to foster home?
8. What unpleasant memory does Gilly have when she thinks about Mrs. Trotter overprotecting William Ernest?
9. What analogy does Gilly use to describe Miss Harris's seeming lack of emotions?
10. What does Miss Harris tell Gilly about her given name, Galadriel, and how does Gilly respond when her new teacher asks to call her by that name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In an essay answer the following questions: Why is Mrs. Trotter so determined to keep Gilly living with her, even after Gilly has stolen money to run away? What is motivating Mrs. Trotter to fight so hard to keep Gilly?
Essay Topic 2
Have the students write an essay about Mr. Randolph's apparent fear that his son will make him move in with him. Why is he so determined to stay on his own? Aren't his blindness and age reasons enough he should move in with someone who can look after him? Is he grasping to his last shred of independence? Is this common among elderly, or is this just one man's stubbornness?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the time Gilly spends caring for Mr. Randolph, Mrs. Trotter, and William Ernest while they were ill. Why does she stay home from school to care for them? Does she just want to skip school or does she genuinely care about them? What changes are seen in Gilly as she cares for the three people?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)