|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many foster homes has Gilly been in during the last three years?
2. How many boys did Gilly fight with at recess?
3. Who is Mr. Randolph?
4. What does Miss Harris admit after class?
5. What does Gilly do by the third week in October?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Gilly's usual trick to get her teachers upset about her abilities?
2. Why has Gilly decided to pay attention in Miss Harris's class?
3. Why does Gilly become so upset when she learns about Mrs. Trotter's regular dinner guest, Mr. Randolph?
4. What does Gilly do at recess on the playground?
5. What does Gilly feel about the books she finds on Mr. Randolph's bookshelf?
6. What does Gilly's social worker, Miss Ellis, try to explain to Gilly before they arrive at her new foster home?
7. What unpleasant memory does Gilly have when she thinks about Mrs. Trotter overprotecting William Ernest?
8. What is upsetting to Gilly after she plays her joke on Miss Harris?
9. What happens to Gilly when she is cleaning shelves for Mr. Randolph while he is in the room?
10. What does Agnes Stokes take for granted about Gilly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Have the students write an essay about Gilly's tendency to believe she is better than anyone else. Does it go beyond high self-esteem to the point of conceit? What drives her to be better, smarter, stronger, etc.? Is there anything wrong with feeling that way? If so, what?
Essay Topic 2
What happens when Gilly's grandmother shows up--not just the bad timing but the fact that she does show up? Is Gilly surprised? Happy? Disappointed? Uncertain? After all her time wanting to be with her mother, why does Gilly react as she does when she learns her mother wants her to be with her grandmother? Answer and explain in an essay.
Essay Topic 3
Have the students explain Gilly's reaction to her grandmother and her new home. What fact stands out to Gilly? Why can't she put out her mother's photograph?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)