|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gilly do when Agnes begins to gossip about the other students?
2. In the beginning of Chapter 7, what opportunity pleases Gilly?
3. What happens when Mr. Randolph suggests Gilly read the Bible to them?
4. What does the principal tell Gilly after dismissing the other students in the fight?
5. What is Gilly's prank?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 5, why won't Gilly look over her shoulder at Mrs. Trotter?
2. What is so special to Gilly about the photo she carries with her from foster home to foster home?
3. What does Mr. Evans, Gilly's new principal, explain about the class he is putting Gilly into?
4. What unpleasant memory does Gilly have when she thinks about Mrs. Trotter overprotecting William Ernest?
5. What does Gilly's social worker, Miss Ellis, try to explain to Gilly before they arrive at her new foster home?
6. What does Gilly feel about the books she finds on Mr. Randolph's bookshelf?
7. What is Gilly's usual trick to get her teachers upset about her abilities?
8. What makes Gilly change her mind and comb her hair for her first day of school?
9. How does Mr. Randolph explain the word "mean" to Gilly when she asks how a flower can be mean?
10. Why does Gilly become so upset when she learns about Mrs. Trotter's regular dinner guest, Mr. Randolph?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Have the students write about Gilly's pride that everything she does that was bad. It is normal for a child to act out occasionally, but is Gilly's acting out normal? Why does she act out? What is her reward for being bad? Explain answers.
Essay Topic 2
Have the students write an essay about Mr. Randolph's apparent fear that his son will make him move in with him. Why is he so determined to stay on his own? Aren't his blindness and age reasons enough he should move in with someone who can look after him? Is he grasping to his last shred of independence? Is this common among elderly, or is this just one man's stubbornness?
Essay Topic 3
In an essay explain the effect leaving has on Gilly. What happens when she has a nightmare the night before she is to leave? What does Mrs. Trotter do and say to help her with the adjustment of moving? What does this tell readers about Mrs. Trotter and Gilly's relationship dynamics?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)