|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Harris say about Gilly's given name?
2. In Chapter 3, what does Mrs. Trotter tell William he should show Gilly?
3. Who does Gilly walk home after they are finished flying the plane?
4. What is Gilly's first impression of Maime Trotter?
5. After all her work dusting both homes, what does Gilly have to show for it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Gilly thinking about her reputation as a foster child as she and Miss Ellis drive to Gilly's new foster home?
2. What does Gilly feel about the books she finds on Mr. Randolph's bookshelf?
3. What does Mr. Evans, Gilly's new principal, explain about the class he is putting Gilly into?
4. What does Agnes Stokes take for granted about Gilly?
5. What is the first thing that Gilly realizes about her mother when she finally meets her?
6. What does Gilly realize about her grandmother after she learns the woman lost her son in the war, her daughter when she ran away, and her husband four years earlier to death?
7. Why does Gilly become so upset when she learns about Mrs. Trotter's regular dinner guest, Mr. Randolph?
8. What becomes clear in the letters exchanged between Miss Harris and Gilly?
9. Who is the strange visitor while everyone is sick and why does she tell Gilly she is there?
10. What is Gilly trying to teach William Ernest and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what happens when Gilly finally meets her mother. What surprises her about her mother? What does her mother say or do that upsets her? Why does she want to leave? What does Mrs. Trotter tell her that makes her decide to stay with her grandmother?
Essay Topic 2
Explain what Gilly sees about William Ernest that no one else seems to see. Why does Gilly think he's being overprotected? What does she do about it? How does she explain this to Mrs. Trotter?
Essay Topic 3
In an essay answer the following questions: Why is Mrs. Trotter so determined to keep Gilly living with her, even after Gilly has stolen money to run away? What is motivating Mrs. Trotter to fight so hard to keep Gilly?
This section contains 1,623 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)