|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gilly do by the third week in October?
2. How many boys did Gilly fight with at recess?
3. How does Gilly get Agnes to participate in her plot?
4. Who is William Ernest?
5. Who is Galadriel Hopkins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Gilly and Agnes have in common?
2. At the end of Chapter 5, why won't Gilly look over her shoulder at Mrs. Trotter?
3. In the beginning of Chapter 1, what is learned about Gilly Hopkins' time in the foster system?
4. What does Gilly feel about the books she finds on Mr. Randolph's bookshelf?
5. What is Gilly's usual trick to get her teachers upset about her abilities?
6. What does Gilly's social worker, Miss Ellis, try to explain to Gilly before they arrive at her new foster home?
7. What makes Gilly change her mind and comb her hair for her first day of school?
8. What does Mr. Evans, Gilly's new principal, explain about the class he is putting Gilly into?
9. What does Gilly ask to be allowed to do that surprises Mrs. Trotter?
10. What happens to Gilly when she is cleaning shelves for Mr. Randolph while he is in the room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the scene where Miss Ellis comes to tell Gilly she must go live with her grandmother. What is Miss Ellis trying to explain about Gilly's mother? Why doesn't Mrs. Trotter try to keep Gilly from leaving?
Essay Topic 2
Have the students explain Gilly's reaction to her grandmother and her new home. What fact stands out to Gilly? Why can't she put out her mother's photograph?
Essay Topic 3
Have the students write an essay about Gilly's adverse reaction to Mr. Randolph and Miss Harris being black. Besides the fact it was obvious she had little experience around people of a different race, what other reasons could there have been for her feelings? Did she pick this up from her other foster parents? Could the location of where she lived have anything to do with it?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)