Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Gilly drops off to sleep her first night with Mrs. Trotter, what does she decide to do?
2. What does Gilly find when she pulls an encyclopedia from Mr. Randolph's bookshelf?
3. In Chapter 4, which book does Gilly read to Mr. Randolph after dinner?
4. What does Mrs. Trotter say to Gilly after watching William Ernest fly the plane?
5. In Chapter 5, what does Gilly decide to do with Agnes Stokes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gilly become so upset when she learns about Mrs. Trotter's regular dinner guest, Mr. Randolph?
2. What is the first thing that Gilly realizes about her mother when she finally meets her?
3. What happens to Gilly when Miss Ellis tells her she is going to have to live with her grandmother?
4. What is Courtney like when Gilly meets her?
5. What does Gilly do at recess on the playground?
6. What is Gilly thinking after meeting her new foster mother, Mrs. Trotter?
7. What happens during Thanksgiving week that keeps Gilly away from school on Tuesday and Wednesday?
8. What happens when Gilly realizes her mother is only staying for two days?
9. What do Gilly and Agnes have in common?
10. Why has Gilly decided to pay attention in Miss Harris's class?
What happens when Gilly's grandmother shows up--not just the bad timing but the fact that she does show up? Is Gilly surprised? Happy? Disappointed? Uncertain? After all her time wanting to be with her mother, why does Gilly react as she does when she learns her mother wants her to be with her grandmother? Answer and explain in an essay.
Have the students write an essay about what it was like for Gilly being a foster child. What does it mean to be a foster child? Is there a stigma being a foster child? How many foster homes had Gilly been in before Mrs. Trotter's? Why? Was it any fault of her own? How did this affect her attitude?
In an essay, explain what happens when Gilly finally realizes her grandmother showed up because of the letters Gilly wrote her mother. How does Gilly handle this? Is she worried?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)