|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 7, what opportunity pleases Gilly?
2. How does Gilly get Agnes to participate in her plot?
3. Who is Mr. Evans?
4. Who else does Gilly decide to enlist to help her find more money at Mr. Randolph's house?
5. In Chapter 4, what does Gilly offer to do with William Ernest after dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is upsetting to Gilly after she plays her joke on Miss Harris?
2. What is so special to Gilly about the photo she carries with her from foster home to foster home?
3. What analogy does Gilly use to describe Miss Harris's seeming lack of emotions?
4. What does Gilly ask to be allowed to do that surprises Mrs. Trotter?
5. What goes through Gilly's mind when she thinks about her last foster parents getting rid of her?
6. What does Mr. Evans, Gilly's new principal, explain about the class he is putting Gilly into?
7. What is Gilly's first impression of Agnes Stokes, the girl she meets at recess on her second day in her new school?
8. What makes Gilly change her mind and comb her hair for her first day of school?
9. What does Gilly's social worker, Miss Ellis, try to explain to Gilly before they arrive at her new foster home?
10. What is Gilly thinking after meeting her new foster mother, Mrs. Trotter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Have the students explain Gilly's reaction to her grandmother and her new home. What fact stands out to Gilly? Why can't she put out her mother's photograph?
Essay Topic 2
Have the students write about Gilly's pride that everything she does that was bad. It is normal for a child to act out occasionally, but is Gilly's acting out normal? Why does she act out? What is her reward for being bad? Explain answers.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what happens when Gilly finally meets her mother. What surprises her about her mother? What does her mother say or do that upsets her? Why does she want to leave? What does Mrs. Trotter tell her that makes her decide to stay with her grandmother?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)