|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Randolph give Gilly as a going-away present?
(a) His encyclopedia, "Sarsparilla to Sorcery."
(b) His treasured poetry book.
(d) His pocket watch.
2. In her letter, what does Gilly suggest William Ernest do?
(a) Read more often to his teacher.
(b) Read out loud to Mr. Randolph for practice.
(c) Invite Agnes to help him with his reading.
(d) Read to Mrs. Trotter.
3. What does the man at the ticket booth do after Gilly gives him the money for her ticket?
(a) He calls the police.
(b) He steals her money.
(c) He gives her the ticket.
(d) He calls child services.
4. What does Gilly discover about William Ernest?
(a) That if he was laughed at he'd shrink back as though preparing for a blow.
(b) That he was smarter than he looked.
(c) That he could figure things out for himelf.
(d) All answers are correct.
5. How does Gilly make extra money between Sunday school and church?
(a) She shoots craps behind the church.
(b) She sells the definition of "adultery" to the other children who don't know what it means.
(c) She has the other children so afraid they pay her not to hurt them.
(d) She collects money from the other children telling them it is for a special mission.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does William Ernest ask Gilly about her new home?
2. What doesn't Mrs. Trotter like about Gilly's lessons?
3. What warning does Mrs. Trotter receive about being a foster mother?
4. On the drive to her grandmother's house, what does Gilly realize about her relationship with Mrs. Trotter, William Ernest, and Mr. Randolph?
5. What does Mrs. Trotter do to soothe Gilly back to sleep in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Mrs. Trotter step in and fight to keep Gilly living with her?
2. What does Gilly realize about her grandmother after she learns the woman lost her son in the war, her daughter when she ran away, and her husband four years earlier to death?
3. What happens to Gilly's relationship with William Ernest when she is permitted to stay with Mrs. Trotter?
4. What happens to Gilly's plans to go see her mother in California?
5. What is Gilly trying to explain to Miss Ellis about her mother's post card?
6. What happens when Mr. Randolph gets sick?
7. What is Gilly trying to teach William Ernest and why?
8. In Chapter 12, what futile thing does Gilly do after supper?
9. What does Gilly's grandmother try to do as she prepares for her daughter's visit?
10. What kind of tie does Gilly pick out for Mr. Randolph after he gets a spot on his own tie?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)