|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what happens when Gilly gets home from school?
(a) Miss Ellis is there to tell her she is going to live with her grandmother permanently.
(b) Mrs. Trotter tells Gilly she must go live with her grandmother.
(c) Miss Ellis tells her that Courtney wants her to visit her.
(d) Mrs. Trotter tells her she has to move to a new foster home.
2. What doesn't Mrs. Trotter like about Gilly's lessons?
(a) She was afraid he'd trip if he ran too fast.
(b) She doesn't believe in stealing.
(c) Gilly teaches him to say "hell."
(d) She thought hop-scotch was for girls.
3. What statement does Miss Ellis make when Gilly tells her she remembers her mother?
(a) "God help the children in the foster system."
(b) "Lord, help me with these children who rebel."
(c) "God help the children of the flower children."
(d) "Heaven help her, she is a mixed up child."
4. What does Gilly discover about William Ernest?
(a) That if he was laughed at he'd shrink back as though preparing for a blow.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) That he was smarter than he looked.
(d) That he could figure things out for himelf.
5. How long is the ride to Gilly's new home?
(a) It is a six-hour drive.
(b) It takes just over an hour to drive there.
(c) It takes only a half hour to get there.
(d) It is two-hour drive.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, what does Gilly promise William Ernest she would do?
2. Why is Mr. Randolph worried when he gets a spot on his tie?
3. What happens when Gilly reminds Mrs. Trotter she once said she'd "never let her go"?
4. On the drive to her grandmother's house, what does Gilly realize about her relationship with Mrs. Trotter, William Ernest, and Mr. Randolph?
5. What happens when Gilly goes upstairs for the tie?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 12, who else is Gilly surprisingly sad to be leaving?
2. What is Gilly trying to explain to Miss Ellis about her mother's post card?
3. In Chapter 12, what futile thing does Gilly do after supper?
4. What does Gilly realize about her grandmother after she learns the woman lost her son in the war, her daughter when she ran away, and her husband four years earlier to death?
5. Who is the strange visitor while everyone is sick and why does she tell Gilly she is there?
6. What happens when Mr. Randolph gets sick?
7. What happens to Gilly's plans to go see her mother in California?
8. What becomes clear in the letters exchanged between Miss Harris and Gilly?
9. Why doesn't Gilly feel her mother's picture fit in her new room?
10. How quickly is the move from Mrs. Trotter's to her grandmother's going to take?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)