|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once in her room, what does Gilly begin to wonder about her mother?
(a) Why her mother left her.
(b) Why her mother left home.
(c) Why her mother didn't care about her or her own mother.
(d) If she really cared about her since she sent her mother to get her.
2. What does Miss Harris tell Gilly when she writes to her?
(a) That the weather has been good.
(b) That she never would have thought she'd miss her, but she does.
(c) That she misses her so much she might transfer to teach at Gilly's new school.
(d) That she is happy to have a peaceful class now that Gilly is gone.
3. Why is Mr. Randolph worried when he gets a spot on his tie?
(a) He is afraid if his son sees it he'll make Mr. Randolph come move in with him.
(b) He likes to have his clothing impeccably kept.
(c) He only has one tie and it has to be dry cleaned.
(d) He doesn't like drawing attention to the fact that he is blind.
4. In Chapter 11, who finally gets through to Gilly when she is so upset?
(a) William Ernest.
(b) Miss Ellis.
(c) Mr. Randolph.
(d) Mrs. Trotter.
5. What doesn't Mrs. Trotter like about Gilly's lessons?
(a) Gilly teaches him to say "hell."
(b) She was afraid he'd trip if he ran too fast.
(c) She doesn't believe in stealing.
(d) She thought hop-scotch was for girls.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gilly's grandmother first find out about her?
2. In Chapter 11, what does Gilly do that she rarely comes close to doing in her life?
3. What does Mrs. Trotter do to soothe Gilly back to sleep in Chapter 12?
4. After Gilly admits to her grandmother that she lied in her letter to her mother, what does she hope the woman would do?
5. What is Mrs. Trotter's reaction when Gilly admits taking money from Mr. Randolph?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gilly intend to do with all the money she has stolen?
2. What happens to Gilly when Miss Ellis tells her she is going to have to live with her grandmother?
3. Why doesn't Mrs. Trotter step in and fight to keep Gilly living with her?
4. In Chapter 14, what does Gilly write about in her letters to Mrs. Trotter and William Ernest?
5. In Chapter 12, what futile thing does Gilly do after supper?
6. What is Gilly trying to explain to Miss Ellis about her mother's post card?
7. The night before Gilly is to leave the Trotter home, what is distressing Gilly the most?
8. Who is the strange visitor while everyone is sick and why does she tell Gilly she is there?
9. What happens during the night that both hurts and helps Gilly regarding her move?
10. What kind of tie does Gilly pick out for Mr. Randolph after he gets a spot on his own tie?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)